Why the Guild Wars 2 Internet Hate?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

This is just typical behavior in games without subscription fees, have you ever visited the League of Legends forums?

I’m assuming there’s more whining there because more children play LoL . Grownups don’t whine, they provide feedback.

I think you overestimate the ratio of “grownups” to teenagers in GW2.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Shepherd.5839

Shepherd.5839

I’m going to be honest I can understand the hate. I mean I’m a pvp player and Guild Wars 2 pvp is some of the best I’ve played in my opinion. But at the same time I can easily see where hate would come from.

For one Anet rolled out a major April 15th patch and then, as they themselves said, abandoned the EU and NA communities to focus on the China release. And now even after the Chinese release we see a festival of the four winds release… and the bugs from the previous patch are still unattended to. What Anet could do to really try and help their public appearance would be to stop releasing so much content so quickly and instead make sure their releases are actually polished. I still have an item with no skin unlock, getting close to two months later now. So I mean, if they actually started working on outstanding bugs that would go a long way to improving I believe.

For PvE players there are plenty of reasons to complain as well as PvE has seen very little serious new additions outside of world events. We still have only the eight dungeons we started with plus now fractals which while more challenging have certainly gotten old fast. Not too mention the rewards from them are lack luster at best. I mean in the 15+ Triple Trouble wurm drops I’ve only received one reward worth mentioning (ascended helm) and that encounter is not easy to do.

WvW? Well Tarnished Coast and Jade Quarry are happy but anyone from Blackgate has as much reason to be mad at Guild Wars 2. After all they lost the season to match manipulation and having literally no chance at winning in a 1v2 situation. So obviously that sort of helplessness can foster plenty of anger, especially when the match manipulating goes against the code of conduct and is illegal in any sporting event. So the fact that they ignored it completely doesn’t foster good company-player relationships.

Overall Guild Wars 2 is still one of my favorite games, but Wildstar’s best hope for stealing my game time is the fact that for the past month there has been a definite sense of Anet abandoning its existing player bases for China. So that is a bit tasteless. PvP reward tracks were nice tho xD.

Posted by: SemmlerTh.2685

SemmlerTh.2685

In my eyes the issue is that GW2 has so much potential, but the devs are not getting the best out of it. This leads to people being frustrated, but not enough to leave the game. As a result, people whine (as do I).

Furthermore, GW2 is aimed at casual gamers, and those are the worst when it comes to whining. They always feel entitled to everything and complain when things are “too hard” (while most PvE content is as easy as can be) and they feel entitled to getting the rewards anyway, so instead of improving, they whine.

Then there’s the bugs, the lack of keeping promises, and sometimes just flat out idiotic mistakes made by the devs.

Wasn’t casuals who asked for ascended gear or dungeons to be worked over to the point people that are the level for that dungeon are kicked.

^this

its also the hardcore gamers, that DID complain, right at the start of the game, that the dungeons were too hard – funny, because they grinded their way to level 60 and craftet up to 80, unable to play their character. But they had to complain.

The casuals were able to rethink their utilities and traits before they went into a dungeons and were able to master the dungeons, when they were still very challenging content. Now its get in and get out – just get your loot, please dont watch the sequences, you are wasting time!

Its not the casuals fault, what is happening. The thing is, that gaming is not a holy sanctuary anymore, that belongs to a certain group of people, everybody is gaming nowadays in the one or the other level. And guild wars 2 tries to attract these everybody-gamers. And it does it really very good.

Different from most other mmorpg’s, gw2 has adapted to the new economy. And the figures are showing that this is working for them. Gw2 has never been something for hardcore gamers, that spend 9+ hours per day in gw2 – not that this is a bad thing, no judgement here – but that was very clearly, even in the beta.

I am so glad, that gw2 focuses on casuals, because I have turned into a casual gamer as well. We grow older, and we eventually find a very fulfilling job, that eats up all your productive and creative energy, but spending 1 to 2 hours per day in gw2, leaves the game in a state, where it can amaze and more important inspire me, everytime I log in.

I dont wanna call out the hardcore gamers, but you have to admit that anet just failed to deliver satisfying content for hardcore gamers. You can go for ascended gear, a process that hast been artificially stretched out, for hardcore gamers, not casuals. Legendaries, Stat-Maxing with infusions. But all this ends up in grinding, the one or the other way.
But none of this was a surprise. It was clear from the very beginning.

I love the game very much, the only thing that really bugs me right now, is the community management. They have been pretty much ignoring us the whole time. Every other day, you see an interesting answer from the devs, but not as it used to be. The might have overestimated the time and energy that went into the china release – idk. Ive been around for quite a while, and this specific part of the game, has never been in a worse state. I really hope this changes.

Posted by: Rpgdude.9135

Rpgdude.9135

My one complaint is there is no way to solo dungeons, I have to get a group, I hate that. Hench men would be great. One of the the big draws for me in GW1 was the ability to build your on team and beat a dungeon others had to have non-npc groups to get through . It was a bragging right and many times I was called a liar when I told people I henched the entire game and all its expansions. Other then that I like GW2.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

As others have hit upon, for the most part it’s just what happens with MMOs, or nearly any game ever. You want to talk about terrible? The WoW general forum was the worst place in the world during BC – and it was also when the game peaked. So no conclusions drawn, really.

But there are two big things to bear in mind, especially concerning GW2:

-The hype train for GW2 was enormous. Like, SERIOUSLY gigantically enormous. I’ve never seen so much hype for an MMO, and it’s likely I may never again.

-Sans setting and skill names, there’s very little resembling GW1 in GW2. While not an immediately bad thing – see Alien and Aliens – it can be a terribly bad thing if you were hoping for more GW1, moreso since there still aren’t many games like it.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I’m going to be honest I can understand the hate. I mean I’m a pvp player and Guild Wars 2 pvp is some of the best I’ve played in my opinion. But at the same time I can easily see where hate would come from.

For one Anet rolled out a major April 15th patch and then, as they themselves said, abandoned the EU and NA communities to focus on the China release. And now even after the Chinese release we see a festival of the four winds release… and the bugs from the previous patch are still unattended to. What Anet could do to really try and help their public appearance would be to stop releasing so much content so quickly and instead make sure their releases are actually polished. I still have an item with no skin unlock, getting close to two months later now. So I mean, if they actually started working on outstanding bugs that would go a long way to improving I believe.

For PvE players there are plenty of reasons to complain as well as PvE has seen very little serious new additions outside of world events. We still have only the eight dungeons we started with plus now fractals which while more challenging have certainly gotten old fast. Not too mention the rewards from them are lack luster at best. I mean in the 15+ Triple Trouble wurm drops I’ve only received one reward worth mentioning (ascended helm) and that encounter is not easy to do.

WvW? Well Tarnished Coast and Jade Quarry are happy but anyone from Blackgate has as much reason to be mad at Guild Wars 2. After all they lost the season to match manipulation and having literally no chance at winning in a 1v2 situation. So obviously that sort of helplessness can foster plenty of anger, especially when the match manipulating goes against the code of conduct and is illegal in any sporting event. So the fact that they ignored it completely doesn’t foster good company-player relationships.

Overall Guild Wars 2 is still one of my favorite games, but Wildstar’s best hope for stealing my game time is the fact that for the past month there has been a definite sense of Anet abandoning its existing player bases for China. So that is a bit tasteless. PvP reward tracks were nice tho xD.

The problem is, that Anet is a Business first. And there are a LOT of people in China.

Some people have been optimistic saying that when the money comes from China it will be used to invest in developing Gw2 here at home.

Be honest why should they? There are players that will never leave til the servers are shut down, and there are players that will buy anything off the gem shop, even if it’s 2 different colored socks with Holes in them, after all, they are supporting Anet!

I believe that Anet is at a point where they have figured out the sweet spot of content developement, where they can do the least amount and still get the maximum amount of profit… mostly from the gem store.

Almost every new skin appears on the gem store, and doesn’t seem to be available as a world drop or a quest reward. I know you can change gold to gems, but… if anyone finds a consistent, repeatable method of accumulating Gold short of Market speculation….it’s nerfed. So…. people can grind endlessly, but the " for a Limited time only" nature of most of the gem store fluff gets them thinking " I don’t have time to grind gold I’ll just grab the CC card."

and cha-ching…Gem store profits soar.

it is sad, this game launched with so much promise. Now it seems to have run it’s course.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Do people seriously believe that disliking GW2 makes you a spoiled kid? There has been plenty of constructive, well-written feedback that points to GW2’s perceived faults.

Had to fix it for you, because players won’t agree with what would these “faults” be. True not all complaints are whiny in nature, but not all well-constructed negative feedback are perhaps “true” game problems, depending on the issues or who you ask.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

This is just typical behavior in games without subscription fees, have you ever visited the League of Legends forums?

I’m assuming there’s more whining there because more children play LoL . Grownups don’t whine, they provide feedback.

O_o You must work with some wonderful people.

Not whining is part of the defining traits of being grown up. You can be an adult…( over 18, or 21…depending on your jurisdiction), and Not be grown up..( mature).

Maturity is a lie told by society to force you to conform to their standards. People don’t “grow up”. They just get fatter and suddenly more is expected of them. They still have all the same actions, it is just now when Billy takes Tammy’s cupcake, he can dredge up an endless series of sociopolitical, idealistic, and philosophical reasons why he deserves Tammy’s cupcake.

And now for something completely different.

I see a lot of complaints about the gem store. Maybe it is just me, but I’ve never really had an issue with how things are in the gem store. This is because I mostly see the stuff there as superfluous extras that I’ll just buy with in-game gold anyway. Granted, the gem store seems like an afterthought to the game’s design, but it doesn’t seem intrusive and overbearing at all.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I think there’s a small but vocal subset of GW1 players that prefer the solo around with henchies playstyle and really didn’t understand what taking the franchise to MMO status meant.

There’s also a few GW1 players that see the addition of ascended gear as a total betrayal by ArenaNet. They don’t think ascended gear was necessary even though players were getting full exotics in a week.

There’s also some WoW/WoW clone players that don’t understand the non-linear sandboxxy-type features of GW2, they prefer the more traditional exclamation point lead you through the game type quests. Also quite a few of those players think since there isn’t one ultimate instance at endgame that there is no endgame.

But in my experience 90% of it is advertising for another game. “This game sucks, come play WoW, this game sucks ESO is better” type stuff. There’s big money in gaming, millions of dollars are at stake. Some players think with every post they are saving “their game”.

Not to discredit anyone’s genuine gripes with the game, MMOs are evolving beasts and no game is perfect. But this pic pretty much says it all:

http://i.imgur.com/bGxqszt.jpg

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Anet really needs to come out with a full blown synopsis of the direction they are taking the game, because right now, these out-of-the-blue, unwanted by player changes are really causing people to be come very frustrated.

I know personally the mega-bombshell impacted me in a very profoundly bad way.
Changes to the mechanics of the Queens Gauntlet was a rather painful, frustrating move. Increasing RNG instead of decreasing is a bad move. Selling gem store items exclusively, that ties in to new content is a bad move. Lowering drop rates, farming possibilities and locking boss fights to specific times of the day are all bad moves. While i agree with doing away with the lower level champ farms, the rest is just blah.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I think there’s a small but vocal subset of GW1 players that prefer the solo around with henchies playstyle and really didn’t understand what taking the franchise to MMO status meant.

I think the major issue was locking personal story behind group content. I’ve been playing since pre-launch weekend and I still haven’t actually completed all of the story dungeons, including the final one. It’s not because I don’t want to, nor because I don’t want to group up, but my schedule and home situation makes it difficult to commit to the dedicated slot of time it takes to put a group together and run a dungeon. Rather than be unreliable, potentially have to pull out before the dungeon is complete etc. I tend to just . . . not run dungeons.

The implementation of group content outside of the personal story has otherwise been pretty great for me. The casual ‘just turn up and take part’ and ‘function as part of an ad hoc group’ strategy has suited my playstyle and IRL commitments perfectly.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Anet really needs to come out with a full blown synopsis of the direction they are taking the game, because right now, these out-of-the-blue, unwanted by player changes are really causing people to be come very frustrated.

I know personally the mega-bombshell impacted me in a very profoundly bad way.
Changes to the mechanics of the Queens Gauntlet was a rather painful, frustrating move. Increasing RNG instead of decreasing is a bad move. Selling gem store items exclusively, that ties in to new content is a bad move. Lowering drop rates, farming possibilities and locking boss fights to specific times of the day are all bad moves. While i agree with doing away with the lower level champ farms, the rest is just blah.

Exactly. The final paragraph explains my frustration. Legit farmers can’t get ahead. Events should never be without equal rewards to those found in WvW/Dungeons. And the additions to the game haven’t been even close to what we talked about in the CDIs.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Do people seriously believe that disliking GW2 makes you a spoiled kid? There has been plenty of constructive, well-written feedback that points to GW2’s perceived faults.

Had to fix it for you, because players won’t agree with what would these “faults” be. True not all complaints are whiny in nature, but not all well-constructed negative feedback are perhaps “true” game problems, depending on the issues or who you ask.

Things are of course very complex, and everyone has different tastes.

Some objectively well-written arguments usually talk about the following topics:

• The discrepancy between Anet’s design goals and the real result of their mechanics when executed;
  • Anet’s unfocused and sometimes contradictory game direction. Example: Attempting to focus on horizontal progression and account-bound QoL changes in the same update ascended came in and had a major negative impact to alt characters and stat building freedom;
  • The negatives of temporary content outweighting the positives;
  • The general lack of support to pvp and wvw;
  • The general lack of polish on game’s content and systems that the fanbase considers to be high priority (community-driven mechanics, challenging and more interesting encounters, more meaningful map exploration, a more rewarding experience, more/ better storytelling). Example: underdeveloped guild and commander systems, terrible AI and mob encounters, repetitive and formulaic world exploration, generally poor rewards for the sake of not breaking the TP, fragmented story without infrastructure to be replayed or enjoyed without jumping around and farming inbetween;
  • General lack of QoL content changes/ additions that the playerbase usually expects from MMOs (attention, this does not makes GW2 a “different” game, just emptier on the eyes of many). Example: Dueling, Housing, etc;
  • Anet’s high priorities on working on festivals (first year) and (mostly but not always) uninspired living story updates (second year) while the major issues I’ve pointed above remain unfixed;

All of those are valid concerns, and “GW2 is diffferent!” is not exactly a good argument, because frankly, GW2 isn’t that groundbreaking or original in the first place. It’s a game that sometiems wants to be different because it feels it needs to be different (evolution), sometimes it wants to be different for the sake of being different (hipster), and sometimes it wants to be the same as other MMOs, except with difficulties at staying on the same level of competitive quality (ascended gear is comparable to those generic korean mmo farming games, while the best competition usually handles vertical progression better than GW2).

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

My one complaint is there is no way to solo dungeons, I have to get a group, I hate that. Hench men would be great. One of the the big draws for me in GW1 was the ability to build your on team and beat a dungeon others had to have non-npc groups to get through .

Still, the more memorable moments and missions were with other players …

H&H in GW1 was easy-mode, AI will always follow your lead and never complain so you’ve always got everyone in agreement on the course of action to be followed.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

• General lack of QoL content changes/ additions that the playerbase usually expects from MMOs (attention, this does not makes GW2 a “different” game, just emptier on the eyes of many). Example: Dueling, Housing, etc;

Dueling ? Then don’t forget other QoL stuff like
-the holy trinity
-Open world PvP
-mounts
-raids with new gear tier every 2 months
-new level cap every year

However i would call that WiP (why i play) stuff instead QoL. Minus the housing, thats the only thing i also want.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

-the holy trinity
-Open world PvP
-mounts

However i would call that WiP (why i play) stuff instead QoL. Minus the housing, thats the only thing i also want.

The trinity, open world PvP, raids and level cap are not QoL stuff…. they are core design philosophies. They massively change the way the game works, suddenly going ‘you need a guardian or a warrior for eveything now’ or ‘now you can be killed anywhere in the open world’ aren’t just ’we’ve added some extra stuff for fun’.

Dueling doesn’t.

Beldin.5498

-the holy trinity
-Open world PvP
-mounts

The trinity, open world PvP, raids and level cap are not QoL stuff…. they are core design philosophies.

But dueling is Qol ? Yeah maybe because it destroys the quality of others live .. lol .. but that would do open PvP also.

And even housing is not QoL .. its just another design thing to keep players busy.

So no .. nothing of that all is Qol … thats also why i wrote it fat. That are all just the same requests some people post again each week for various reasons.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

-the holy trinity
-Open world PvP
-mounts

The trinity, open world PvP, raids and level cap are not QoL stuff…. they are core design philosophies.

But dueling is Qol ? Yeah maybe because it destroys the quality of others live .. lol .. but that would do open PvP also.

And even housing is not QoL .. its just another design thing to keep players busy.

So no .. nothing of that all is Qol … thats also why i wrote it fat. That are all just the same requests some people post again each week for various reasons.

If there’s open world PvP, I can get ganked as soon as I step out of DR. That’s forcefully changing my gameplay. Not QoL.

If there was dueling, I can refuse to duel. Doesn’t forcefully change my game play. QoL.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It’s just the usual fanboyism. It’s not “their game”, so it’ “competition”, “the enemy”.

But when they try GW, and then go back to their game, they see all those annoying things we see that we don’t have in GW, and they can’t ever enjoy that other game the same as before.

GW2 has many annoying things, but they got rid of many of the most annoying.

Those who leave GW will eventually come back when they see all the other crap around.

They always come back.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

It’s just the usual fanboyism. It’s not “their game”, so it’ “competition”, “the enemy”.

But when they try GW, and then go back to their game, they see all those annoying things we see that we don’t have in GW, and they can’t ever enjoy that other game the same as before.

Those who leave GW will eventually come back when they see all the other crap around.

They always come back.

Or you could acknowledge the actual problems with the game (lack of direction, zero PvP development, no community interaction, no bug fixes for any of the core elements like combat) instead of blindly assuming everything is fine and it must be “WoW/GW1 fanboizzz”.

People complain because they care. Sadly ANet doesn’t care.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

Nerelith.7360

They always come back.

Hate to break the news to you. But I went back to WoW… I Like it Just fine. Not sure what you mean

“But when they try GW, and then go back to their game, they see all those annoying things we see that we don’t have in GW”

Unless you are referring to " Guild Wars" as in the original. The problem is…. This is not Guild Wars. This is Guild wars 2. Except for a graphical upgrade…the game is an inferior to the Original… Kinda Like.. Comparing " Saturday Night Fever II" to the original.

When I came to play GW2 on release i LOVED the game. This is not the same game that launched. It’s changed, the Cash shop seems to be it’s Raison d’etre…

I Left WoW… I came to Gw2…Loved it… after I got a couple of level 80’s I took a break..came back a couple months ago logged in at QD to.." is there a champ train?"

Then the debacle that was the April Update, that monetaized even MORE content… In Game announcements about gem shop items, and reminders that they also sell gold…along with nerfing to the ground,. any consistently, repeatabl;e Gold farming….

Anet doesn’t Like us farming Gold, they want us to buy gems instead.

So…I still play Gw2, because:

1. I have friends here.
2. The gameplay… is pretty decent.

My issue is Not the mechanics, it’s the Monetization, and the Focus On the Gem Store, Instead of the timely release of expansions …as in Guild Wars.

I Played Guild Wars for 4 or 5 years, and did not even realize it HAD a gem store.

Here it’s in my face.

So I went back to WoW, and I am trying to restart my Guild wars account…forgot my log in, and pasword kitten.

As I said. Not sure what you mean by “But when they try GW, and then go back to their game, they see all those annoying things we see that we don’t have in GW” because as someone that went back to WoW of all games…I am not really feeling the “They see all those annoying things we seethat we don’t have in GW”

Maybe you are talking about Guild Wars ? Then it makes sense.

But then again….This isn’t Guild Wars.

PS: (edit)

“Those who leave GW will eventually come back when they see all the other crap around.
They always come back.”

I love How you refer to others as fanboys. This is the same type of Arrogant Fanboyism that I experienced in World of Warcraft. The idea that " don’;t worry, they will all be back, they always come back." except sometimes we don’t.

I left World of Warcraft 2 years ago. So did millions of other players, they actually speak more humbly now. I haven’t seen " don’t worry, they’ll be back, they always come back." there recently.

I Played Tera… they also said " Don’t worry, they will be back…they always come back." when players left tTHAT game….to play Guild Wars II…. the irony. Now that game is Not doing as well.

The irony here is…I DID go back to World of warcraft. Maybe their arrogance was warranted?

Are you sure yours is though?? Not sure even the devs will be on that level of complacency. Never take your player base for granted, even World of Warcraft learned that.

PPS: EQ Next. Jus’ sayin.

By the way, people CAN play More than one MMO at the same time you know? it’s Not a zero-sum game…Pun intended.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Or you could acknowledge the actual problems with the game (lack of direction, zero PvP development, no community interaction, no bug fixes for any of the core elements like combat) instead of blindly assuming everything is fine and it must be “WoW/GW1 fanboizzz”.

My first thought was, I can’t speak for ANet devs. However, they’re not really going to speak for themselves with regards to this accusation. So, I will.

Who is ANet? Is it management, staff or both? There is zero evidence that ANet employees don’t care. There is zero evidence that management doesn’t care. Many changes to the game have been made because of complaints by players. Some of those represent compromises between what different player demographics want. Some represent compromises between player desires and what ANet wants. Maybe the changes that you want are not wanted by everyone. Maybe ANet does not agree with you that some things are a problem.

So, let’s look at what you’ve got.

• Lack of direction: This can seem to be the case. ANet has been consistent with regard to some things and inconsistent with others. Some of the inconsistencies occur when they try to please everyone.
  • Zero PvP development: GW2 sPvP is not the ESport they aspired to. PvP development has been sparse, but not zero.
  • No community interaction: This is blatantly false.
  • No bug fixes for any of the core elements, like combat: Blatantly false. While there are issues with combat and other game mechanics, there have been changes. Certainly, combat mechanics for conditions in large scale PvE have not been addressed. There have been plenty of bug fixes for skills, traits, etc. Culling has been addressed, though maybe not to everyone’s satisfaction.

I’m not saying that there are no issues with the game. In fact, I’m not happy with game direction, either. That doesn’t mean I’m going to assume that because ANet doesn’t rush to cater to my desires that they don’t care about their game.

Nerelith.7360

My first thought was, I can’t speak for ANet devs. However, they’re not really going to speak for themselves with regards to this accusation. So, I will.

Who is ANet? Is it management, staff or both? There is zero evidence that ANet employees don’t care. There is zero evidence that management doesn’t care. Many changes to the game have been made because of complaints by players. Some of those represent compromises between what different player demographics want. Some represent compromises between player desires and what ANet wants. Maybe the changes that you want are not wanted by everyone. Maybe ANet does not agree with you that some things are a problem.

So, let’s look at what you’ve got.

• Lack of direction: This can seem to be the case. ANet has been consistent with regard to some things and inconsistent with others. Some of the inconsistencies occur when they try to please everyone.
  • Zero PvP development: GW2 sPvP is not the ESport they aspired to. PvP development has been sparse, but not zero.
  • No community interaction: This is blatantly false.
  • No bug fixes for any of the core elements, like combat: Blatantly false. While there are issues with combat and other game mechanics, there have been changes. Certainly, combat mechanics for conditions in large scale PvE have not been addressed. There have been plenty of bug fixes for skills, traits, etc. Culling has been addressed, though maybe not to everyone’s satisfaction.

I’m not saying that there are no issues with the game. In fact, I’m not happy with game direction, either. That doesn’t mean I’m going to assume that because ANet doesn’t rush to cater to my desires that they don’t care about their game.

I would not say that waiting 2 years, qualifies as expecting them to rush. That was a swipe. Deal with the issues, as you did In the beginning. The last part was not admirable at all, and you know better.

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

This.

It’s very true that an MMO has to appeal to a very wide audience to be successful, and that wide reach almost necessitates development to not be as focused in every area as individual players would like. It’s also true that it often appear that detractors of the game, particularly in the case of GW2, seem louder than everyone else. The thing that is truly lacking that could and would counter both of the above issues is open communication.

What direction is GW2 going in now? Not pie in the sky estimates or PR speak but what is the actual plan for development. What sort of real focus is there going to be with GW2’s development, why was that course chosen and how is ANet realistically planning to get there?

Without any open and honest communication from ANet, it’s easy to see why the “hate” just appears to be getting louder and louder. There are a growing number of players who have invested hundreds or thousands of dollars and hours into GW2 at this point. Many of those players did so based on what ANet had initially put forward as the initial plan for the game. When you have made that sort of investment and you raise even simple questions but get no or next to no response, it’s only natural for the volume and frequency to start increasing. It’s only natural for you to start going elsewhere to other audiences and to then share your growing dissatisfaction and discontent.

ANet just needs to actually acknowledge the real (and perceived) disappointments that their invested player base have with the game and start being honest about it. Yes, that will cause some players to definitely leave but it’s better that then have them sit in a permanently ticked off state of loud yet futile hope.

thaooo.5320

@Indigo

WvW:
1 big update (PvE map that hurts WvW) and 3 small updates, and a few tooltip updates. In 2 years. That’s all.

SPvP:
6 months per balance patch, and even then it is minimal changes. Minimal changes should be every 2-4 weeks.

Rush to cater to my desires? Puh-lease. How I personally see it, the development team has all the time in the world for just about ANY project, because as a player who gets zero information and interaction from them, they appear to be doing nothing at all, literally nothing. The frustrating part is that there isn’t even a developer let alone a team, for WvW and SPvP.

I could handle the complete silence from them, if they actually had something to show for it. That they actually work on things.

Then of course there’s:
Skyhammer in SoloQ.
Asura racial advantage in SPvP.
1 game mode in SPvP, and it promotes the most boring game play imaginable, bunkering.
Bad Guild functionality. Ignored all suggestions by players.
Bad Commander functionality. Ignored all suggestions by players.
Promote server stacking in WvW, simply for gem revenue.

Lets not forget my favourite:
Living Story bugs are fixed in under 4 hours.
WvW/SPvP/combat bugs are fixed in 6 to 24 months. Or longer.

I’ll stop that list here since it could go on forever.

After 2 years of utter neglect to the two “end game” game modes, I think I’ve been rather patient with them. Don’t you?

ALL IS VAIN.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

Nerelith.7360

@Indigo

WvW:
1 big update (PvE map that hurts WvW) and 3 small updates, and a few tooltip updates. In 2 years. That’s all.

SPvP:
6 months per balance patch, and even then it is minimal changes. Minimal changes should be every 2-4 weeks.

Rush to cater to my desires? Puh-lease. How I personally see it, the development team has all the time in the world for just about ANY project, because as a player who gets zero information and interaction from them, they appear to be doing nothing at all, literally nothing. The frustrating part is that there isn’t even a developer let alone a team, for WvW and SPvP.

I could handle the complete silence from them, if they actually had something to show for it. That they actually work on things.

Then of course there’s:
Skyhammer in SoloQ.
Asura racial advantage in SPvP.
1 game mode in SPvP, and it promotes the most boring game play imaginable, bunkering.
Bad Guild functionality. Ignored all suggestions by players.
Bad Commander functionality. Ignored all suggestions by players.
Promote server stacking in WvW, simply for gem revenue.

Lets not forget my favourite:
Living Story bugs are fixed in under 4 hours.
WvW/SPvP/combat bugs are fixed in 6 to 24 months. Or longer.

I’ll stop that list here since it could go on forever.

After 2 years of utter neglect to the two “end game” game modes, I think I’ve been rather patient with them. Don’t you?

Preach on. People say things Like “Hey, can’t expect them to rush, to meet your desires” which comes across as condescending.

They forget that a LOT of us have been with them since the release of Guild Wars.

They built up a lot of goodwill with that game, and won us over with a new idea." Buy the game, pay no monthly… and then buy expansions to fund game development. "

I am sure there must have been a cash shop in there somewhere since people say there was, but hey, I played YEARS, and never experienced it.

Then we get Guild Wars 2. And expect the same sheer awesomeness of Guild Wars.
(I do not call it Guild wars 1. That implies a connection between both titles, as far as I am concerned, there is, and Only ever will be only one Guild Wars. This Guild Wars 2 thing is a totally different game with a “Tyrian” skin on it.), except that it falls very short. They have squandered most of that good will with this new title.

This actually is beginning to feel Like a Korean grinder – lite… with a tyrian skin.

So ya…

No, we don’t HATE Guild Wars 2. If we did not care, we would not post, we are disappointed that an opportunity for Anet is slipping through their fingers to be great, as Guild Wars, with all it’s balance issues was Great. I’ll take the headache , and balance issues of Guild Wars over Guild Wars 2, any day, and twice on Sunday.

I still do not buy the " Oh Guild wars 2, could have been more Like Guild Wars but that would be hard work for the devs. " Hard work?? they get payed don’t they? I am sure their salaries are not minimum wage. I have very little sympathy for a coder that refuses to give me sheer awesome game-play because " hey, that’s hard."

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the problem of this game is that it removes things they should’ve done different and add things that are bad enough in other MMO’s, there is not a single quest in the game yet (if don’t right) it’s what keeps players busy and fills an area far better then any renown heart can ever do.
however, they constantly add more and more grind, they force ppl to farm and see gold farming as the META, the very thing that scares away players.

the game would actually be a good game if it has what Anet promised with their trailers, a world where things happen without warning and choices that can permanently change the world.
i see nether of them, just some DE’s that do nothing since it’s changed back after 15 minutes or so and the LS only works when the LS is actually live, it also only changes the world every 2 weeks while Anet, not the players, change the world.

thaooo.5320

In short: GW2 is wasting its potential.

ALL IS VAIN.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i love this game too, my only complaint would be loot basically falls into 4 categories. skins/gear, miscelaneous items with few uses (hello potions and minipets), crafting materials (which all feel exactly the same), and literal junk with literally no use (stupid gears). if guild wars 2 is to remain interesting for aslong as many other MMO it needs to create greater varieties of loot. i suggest runescape as the model because that game made every item feel like it meant something somewhere and every single monster had its own huge drop table with loot available NOWEHRE else. i loved that

what i want to do moving foreward is encourage anet to create a huge set of new skills that are not done at crafting stations like the ones we have now, skills that require us to GET UP and GET OUT THERE! hunting/fishing? carpentry? (build ur own house in gw2 would be so amazing with these graphics!!!!) farming? (not sure how useful this would be but id still like to virtually garden =p)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The game itself is fine.

The disappointment comes from the fact that there was just so much potential for the game to be so much more than it is, and that potential is just squandered.

Oh I’m so hoping S2 capitalises on some of that potential…

It’s not what’s in the game that causes anger, it’s what is not in the game.

So many good ideas have been passed on simply because they wouldn’t have generated revenue.

Oh S2, after months of waiting I so hope you’re amazing.

This reminds me of an old theory my US Government teacher taught us: the more you use something, the less satisfaction you get out of it.

Yeah it’s a thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

Anyone says that, “Satisfied people don’t say anything.” “Haters are the loudest etc” are foolish. Most people who are unhappy or unsatisfied rarely say it, they just stop buying or shopping at the area. This is basic retail knowledge. To say everyone will complain is complete nonsense. Also haters are the loudest? Hypers are the loudest, they say how good something is and won’t shut up about it. Look at people who talk about certain shows/products and sports stars.

Always thought of the self balancing free market was more idealistic than anything else. Stuff like monopolies, collusion, questionable business activities etc. basically means that the idea that the consumer is able to vote with there wallets becomes slightly less of a thing.
For example my country only has a single landline telephone/internet operator, that’s partly government owned. Yeah, it’s either I swallow their nonsense or I don’t have no landline internet. Can’t really apply that basic retail knowledge.
Of course nothing I said has any practical baring on the current conversation, but my pedantic nature requires me to point out the underlying flaws in your world view.

Also, hater are the loudest. No one complains when everything going fine, we tend to take things for granted. Ever have to deal with feedback? How about a suggestion box?
Also the internet, the internet makes everyone rather kittenish.

By definition. If they are whining, they are not grown up, no matter how old they are.

Think mature is a better word to be definitive about.

World of Warcraft is not getting any content for a year+, while demanding you to pay 15$ per month, only to then charge you 50$ for an expansion.

If that is what you mean by “getting content”, then I suppose you are right. You ARE getting content, but you have to pay for it, after having paid for a year+ with no content.

Think it’s the nature of the content, raid tiers tend to be considered ‘more content’ then the average living story content, even though it’s probably just a long hallway with a couple of bosses scattered about. Maybe it’s because players can grind through the living world content faster, so the perception is a bit different.

Nerelith.7360

Think it’s the nature of the content, raid tiers tend to be considered ‘more content’ then the average living story content, even though it’s probably just a long hallway with a couple of bosses scattered about. Maybe it’s because players can grind through the living world content faster, so the perception is a bit different.

I think the problem is, that New Raid Content is permanent, and you can ignore it… and then next year come and do it, then you can do it again 6 months after that… it’s there, and you can take advantage of it’s presence for as long as other players retain Interest in doing it, .. and in a fun guild you just say " hey let’s go do bla bla bla!", and you go, because it’s still there.

Living Story for me seems Like a flimsy excuse to NOT Put out an expansion. it’s Possible there may be as much work in puytting it together, but… sometimes, since None of us KNOWS How Much work it takes….. Perception IS reality.

For me, the perception is, that the temporary limited tim,e, limited duration nature of Living Story is…that it’s a cop out to avoid having a real expansion.

But then again, that is just how things seem to me, and purely my opinion.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

@Indigo

- snip -

- snip -

That’s a more tightly defined list of issues than was presented in the post I responded to. Statements such as “no communication,” “zero bug fixes,” and similar more closely resemble hyperbole than well-thought out criticisms.

As to patience with GW2 PvP modes .. you’ve certainly been more patient than all of my PvP friends from the original, who bailed in mid-October 2012.

Preach on. People say things Like “Hey, can’t expect them to rush, to meet your desires” which comes across as condescending.

They forget that a LOT of us have been with them since the release of Guild Wars.

- snip -

I’ll withdraw the “rush” comment. I confess to extrapolating motive based on observation of limited information — the same thing I was commenting on. I’m still of the opinion that the statement about ANet not caring is likely to be incorrect. Perhaps we can all agree to try to avoid conjecture about peoples’ motives and stick to our own opinions and observations?

Nerelith.7360

@Indigo

- snip -

- snip -

That’s a more tightly defined list of issues than was presented in the post I responded to. Statements such as “no communication,” “zero bug fixes,” and similar more closely resemble hyperbole than well-thought out criticisms.

As to patience with GW2 PvP modes .. you’ve certainly been more patient than all of my PvP friends from the original, who bailed in mid-October 2012.

- snip -

I’ll withdraw the “rush” comment. I confess to extrapolating motive based on observation of limited information — the same thing I was commenting on. I’m still of the opinion that the statement about ANet not caring is likely to be incorrect. Perhaps we can all agree to try to avoid conjecture about peoples’ motives and stick to our own opinions and observations?

Works for me ;-)

I never said hey did not care. I am sure that they want the game to be as successful, as we do. I Just get the feeling that…Our defenition of successful, is relative to gameplay…and theirs is to profit.

So when I ask " Is this game successful?" My criteria is .. challenge, and reward for risk..in combating challenge. Theirs seems to be " are Our skins selling on the cash shop?"

Once again, Just basing my observations on what they seem to be focused on. cash shop items, and Monetization of the game.

thaooo.5320

Forgive me for not listing everything in its entirety in every post… I’ve done it so many times before, its difficult to repeat them so many times for so long.

Don’t mistake a red post for ‘information’ or ‘communication’.

A large percentage of red posts in these forums are in response to fluff threads, with a fluff response. Or a fluff response to a serious thread. Or just a post which contains nothing of value.

Only a few contain useful info.

I’m not saying they can’t have fun with silly responses. But I think 95% of posts being like that is a little high.

ALL IS VAIN.

(edited by thaooo.5320)

tigirius.9014

the problem of this game is that it removes things they should’ve done different and add things that are bad enough in other MMO’s, there is not a single quest in the game yet (if don’t right) it’s what keeps players busy and fills an area far better then any renown heart can ever do.
however, they constantly add more and more grind, they force ppl to farm and see gold farming as the META, the very thing that scares away players.

the game would actually be a good game if it has what Anet promised with their trailers, a world where things happen without warning and choices that can permanently change the world.
i see nether of them, just some DE’s that do nothing since it’s changed back after 15 minutes or so and the LS only works when the LS is actually live, it also only changes the world every 2 weeks while Anet, not the players, change the world.

Which is what I expected the rewards to be like and yes that was how they were at first but since then with their draconian system of concentrating the wealth in 2 unfair ways the prices in the TP are reflective of these policies and so is the type of players that have remained here the whole time. No game is doing well unless they are supporting all of the types of players they promised the game would be for. So far I’ve yet to see anything casual even tho their marketing was directed at the casual open world players early on.

And since I’m still waiting on their promises to revamp the rewards system because they claimed they know it’s a problem.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Grownups don’t whine?

They shouldn’t usually but we all have moments of weakness. Now excuse me while I tell at those kids to get off my lawn.

However, physical age is not always a sign of being grownup; we do have a lot of people that never grew up and you see these “adults” throwing worse tantrums in public places worse than some kids would. If you see someone posting about how old they are as an argument without a corresponding argument, it’s pretty much the same as someone trying to prove something by how many achievement points they have— plain ol’ insecurity. Same goes with the “I have a life”, “I have a high paying job” I have many partners of the opposite gender" stuff that gets thrown around.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

I can understand if people leave GW2 and not play other MMOs, but in terms of MMOs I don’t know where they are going to go at all.

Went back to, and am currently enjoying World of Warcraft, Got Mists of pandaria, and love playing a monk.

No game compares to it and no game coming out in the near future will seem to compare so far, either.

Guess you have not heard of EQ next? From what I have seen, it will leave Gw2 in the dust.

not going to comment on the topic as a whole, but this is a non-sequitur. anyone who ever played an SOE MMO knows that SOE systematically runs games into the ground like clockwork. it doesn’t matter how good the game looks in the trailer, SOE will mismanage and botch it in record time. SWG, MXO, Vanguard, all down the toilet. EQ1/2 survive on nostalgia alone. Planetside 2 is sinking slowly, and if EQN goes live on the same business model, it will too. it doesn’t matter how good the game or the dev team is, SOE management will send it into a death spiral.

so don’t pin your hopes on an SOE game to save you. Anet runs GW2 like a paradise compared to the way SOE runs games. but if you like WOW so much, have at it, at least you know what you’re in for with that.

Nerelith.7360

I can understand if people leave GW2 and not play other MMOs, but in terms of MMOs I don’t know where they are going to go at all.

Went back to, and am currently enjoying World of Warcraft, Got Mists of pandaria, and love playing a monk.

No game compares to it and no game coming out in the near future will seem to compare so far, either.

Guess you have not heard of EQ next? From what I have seen, it will leave Gw2 in the dust.

not going to comment on the topic as a whole, but this is a non-sequitur. anyone who ever played an SOE MMO knows that SOE systematically runs games into the ground like clockwork. it doesn’t matter how good the game looks in the trailer, SOE will mismanage and botch it in record time. SWG, MXO, Vanguard, all down the toilet. EQ1/2 survive on nostalgia alone. Planetside 2 is sinking slowly, and if EQN goes live on the same business model, it will too. it doesn’t matter how good the game or the dev team is, SOE management will send it into a death spiral.

so don’t pin your hopes on an SOE game to save you. Anet runs GW2 like a paradise compared to the way SOE runs games. but if you like WOW so much, have at it, at least you know what you’re in for with that.

Anet USED to run games Like Paradise…. The Original Guild Wars games yes., This one? Not so much.

the way this game is currently… I would go back to Eq1 In a heartbeat. Problem is, the servers are empty. Mostly having to do with the evolution o f the MMO player base, the desire of MMO developers to make WoW type Money, when WoW itself was Just at the right place,… at the right time, and benefited by evoolving their game to appeal to the new casual MMO player.

This game bears little to almost no relation to Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall(?). Therefore before you go about comparing how “Anet runs games.” you really need to focus on the game in question….

Just because an Awesome Chef can cook In a 5 star restaurant…doesn’t mean you say " awesome job" when he presents you with a crap sandwich.

Posted by: Schneemensch.1754

Schneemensch.1754

They promoted it as an MMO. The result however is SP with DRM.
There is no incentive to grouping at all. An MMO is a social experience, but there is no point in socializing since most to all content can be done solo with those Semi-NPC’s who happen to be in the same area as you.

At least they aren’t a liability like in TES:O where they actively hinder your gameplay.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Why the hate? Simple, people feel betrayed.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Nerelith.7360

Why the hate? Simple, people feel betrayed.

While I echo the sentiment, I still don’t call it hate. Betrayed? Kind of. I know many will say " they didn’t promise you Guild Wars. " But it’s like if I Buy Mass Effect. And enjoy it, and then Buy Mass Effect 2. I Kind of expect some connection.

Guild wars had some core elements. And everyone says " they said they were taken out, because doing it would be hard. "

I also expected an expansion by now. With maybe a couple of new classes added. And then people told me doing that would be hard too.

Dual classing? " it would be hard." 100’s of different skills to mix and match? This one I loved. a Combination " It would be hard" + " The players will kitten themselves."

In other words, they didn’t give us Guild wars, because we were too dumb for it, and needed to have it dumbed down for our consumption.

Then In April the traits were given a huge overhaul, went from 70 points to 14. The said they Pushed the traits back from level 10, to level 30…so players would have 20 extra levels to learn their basic weapon skills, and utilities.

In other words they dumbed the game down again. How is it players are not upset at the constant Insults from the developers? That is what these are … insults.

Are we sensing a pattern? Seems that anything that might be fun, was left out, if it made it hard for the devs, or if the devs thought it would be too hard for us to understand. Seems they wanted easy-snoozeville game to put out, and the playerbase has… accepted that they need to lower their expectations… after all if they need to choose between making the game hard for the devs that draw a salary, while they, the players pay money…. and lowering their expectations so the devs can coast.. all while giving the players a shallow game, anything with depth might be too hard for the players to understand…after all, well you can see why I Myself am disappointed.

It’s like going to a 5 star Michelin Restaurant… expecting a gourmet meal, and receiving a crappy tasting meal… and when you complain, the waiter says " I spoke with the chef, he said giving you a fine dining experience… would be hard, besides, you might be too dumb to appreciate it"

Am I saying it is easy adding a couple of new classes to the game, and balancing the skills? No I am not saying it is easy, but other games manage. And this game already suffers from having VERY few skills already. This shouldn’t be a breeze to balance….but..come on… It’s hard? so what? why are the devs drawing a salary for?

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I’m surprised by OP.
It’s one of not many constructive OP posts that actually nailed important stuff here.

People may not really noticed it, but there aren’t many West MMORPGs.
Most of the Western players are kind of used to mechanics and values presented in Korean MMOs which are published on this side of the globe.
Unfortunately, those MMOs are kind of stressful. You have to grind, grind more. Level up. In 99% of Korean MMO cases, you’re directed with only one path to walk. You have no variety of weapons here. Leveling is bottlenecked as well. You change areas and zones and you still hit upon same quests – kill X [MobName] in [AreaName].
Gaining in game currency is also bottlenecked to only grinding it and selling to NPC.

GW2 actually has none of those aspects. Each Quest area(Hearts) provide multiple ways to complete them. Some are so unusual, that makes it actually fun, completing them.
Examples:
In Ebonhawke, you talk to NPCs and tell them that they’re stupid.
Or in Metrica Province, you fight against other players with little golems.
In some other map, you are stealthed and have to sneak past Charr Assassin’s and pop some stuff.

Another thing is weapon + skill system.
I feel not being forced to buy/use Razor Naga(+16 buttons) for exclusive binds, so I will be faster and maybe better thanks to that than others in pvp.

A normal office keyboard + mouse will do perfectly fine.

Another thing – no p2w shop.

I am surprised at many people raging at this title, but in most cases I find them actually never even touching it.
I don’t know if it’s the cause of pure hate or just a simple – I cannot afford to purchase GW2.

Like someone already has pointed it out – haters and flamers are a daily bread on every game’s forums.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Was great on release, disappointed after wintersday 2012. It’s now just a fashion gem store party game with no substance. I am extremely disappointed since I was looking forward to this game since the announcement and a huge fan of GW1…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Why the hate?

Gw2 besides graphics is a very stale game without room or space to improvements, players just dont have any other kind of free MMO with eye candy visuals.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Beldin.5498

And there see that the hate has not only to do with ANet.

I played EQ2 for nearly 5 years and never understood all the hate against SOE, since i never had any bigger problems there.

But as far as i researched for the problems with SWG mostly George Lucas is the one to blame, and for Vanguard its Brad McQuaid who managed to get kicked from Microsoft before the game was released, and SOE in reality has saved Vanguard, because without them it would have never been released at all. Still they simply just get all the hate that they have not put more money into the game after that.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Why the hate? I wouldn’t call it “hate”, as I still have faith in the GW games, but I’ll try to answer you nevertheless:

Because the game doesn’t live up to the expecations people have had thereto.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Nerelith.7360

And there see that the hate has not only to do with ANet.

I played EQ2 for nearly 5 years and never understood all the hate against SOE, since i never had any bigger problems there.

But as far as i researched for the problems with SWG mostly George Lucas is the one to blame, and for Vanguard its Brad McQuaid who managed to get kicked from Microsoft before the game was released, and SOE in reality has saved Vanguard, because without them it would have never been released at all. Still they simply just get all the hate that they have not put more money into the game after that.

QFT

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

The thing with GW2 is that it is different.

Players that didn’t like the differences from their previous MMOs, usually hated GW2 and then they go to the Internet vent their hate towards the game, while the vast majority of the players that like GW2 just play and doesn’t show their affection on the Internet, at least that is how I see the current scenarios.

That is why you see bad comments only in forums and some community opinions, but bigger sites you hardly see any bad article about GW2.

Looks like the exact opposite from my point of view.

GW2 looked like it was going to be very different. Players that didn’t like their previous MMOs had a lot of hope for GW2, but shortly after launch ArenaNet decided to please the small group of people who wanted another status quo MMO, and abandoned many of their core design principles in favor of trying to keep as broad an audience as possible.

The reason the hate is strong is that many people who don’t like the game in its current state really loved what it was at launch, with all that it promised to become. Instead of just moving on to another game, they keep holding out a think hope that ArenaNet will return to their original vision. That hope, stretched out over an increasingly long time, and fed with small crumbs of occasional positive game changes, leads to a smoldering bitterness.

This is only magnified by ArenaNet moving from clear, bold communication about their hopes for the game to a policy of secrecy, and vague statements with room for a lot of interpretation. Any community dealing with the uncertainty caused by that kind of communication from its leadership is going to grow resentful.

tigirius.9014

The thing with GW2 is that it is different.

Players that didn’t like the differences from their previous MMOs, usually hated GW2 and then they go to the Internet vent their hate towards the game, while the vast majority of the players that like GW2 just play and doesn’t show their affection on the Internet, at least that is how I see the current scenarios.

That is why you see bad comments only in forums and some community opinions, but bigger sites you hardly see any bad article about GW2.

Looks like the exact opposite from my point of view.

GW2 looked like it was going to be very different. Players that didn’t like their previous MMOs had a lot of hope for GW2, but shortly after launch ArenaNet decided to please the small group of people who wanted another status quo MMO, and abandoned many of their core design principles in favor of trying to keep as broad an audience as possible.

The reason the hate is strong is that many people who don’t like the game in its current state really loved what it was at launch, with all that it promised to become. Instead of just moving on to another game, they keep holding out a think hope that ArenaNet will return to their original vision. That hope, stretched out over an increasingly long time, and fed with small crumbs of occasional positive game changes, leads to a smoldering bitterness.

This is only magnified by ArenaNet moving from clear, bold communication about their hopes for the game to a policy of secrecy, and vague statements with room for a lot of interpretation. Any community dealing with the uncertainty caused by that kind of communication from its leadership is going to grow resentful.

Perfect. Might I also add to this discussion that it’s not whining to expect a company to fulfill it’s goals on a product, it’s called an expectation of professionalism. All of these people who trying to marginalize what people are rightly complaining about aren’t helping they are most likely the niche group you are talking about who asked for the very things we expected this game not to be, and having received what they wanted are attacking those of us who purchased the title because it was indeed supposed to be completely different than what we had seen before. Sadly it didn’t turn out that way. Now many of us are hesitant to buy anything else from the publisher because we’re afraid it will happen again, so we sit by the sidelines watching the launch of another product to see if they do some of the same things.

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The irony here is…I DID go back to World of warcraft. Maybe their arrogance was warranted?

Most who go back to WoW do so for nostalgia. It doesn’t take long for that to wear off and you’re left with….well WoW… it’s a brief stay until you find a single player game to play or yet another new MMO to try.

WoW has done a lot of things right and literally changed MMOs for the better, but it’s simply been around too long and they can’t engage players in the same way they used to be able to. The gear treadmill formula has run its course.

In my opinion, it’s also why WoW clones typically fail. You start playing a new MMO, it’s like WoW and you think “man this is great! similar quest system, even the UI looks the same! It’s like WoW 2.0!” Then you realize “hey…this is like WoW….2.0….I’m kinda bored with WoW now that I think about it…”. Then flop.

I commend GW2 for going with a completely different approach, whether people like it or not, it’s a different option for an MMO; no trinity, no gear treadmill (that we’ve seen thus far), etc. Obviously I would love more content and have a reserved hope that LS2 will bring new maps to explore, and their teaser practically screams it, but overall, GW2 has actually been able to try something different and be successful at it. For now anyway.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….