Why the ecto salvage nerf?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HoboLyra.4908

HoboLyra.4908

Myself and everyone in the our guild noticed that some time ago ecto salvage drops have been nerfed to the ground. Any reason for this? It was unlisted as well in patch updates, and I am doubting it’s just a coincidence that 100+ people are seeing less ectoes for mass salvaging lv80 rares after dungeon/farming/fractal runs.

-Tarnished Coast-
Obsidian Spire OS / EXS

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

So the dragon loot fix doesn’t make the price drop, I guess. Worst experience was 9 0 ectos ina row with BLK.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Kenjo.9651

Kenjo.9651

I’ve been getting 3 ectos per rare salvage lately so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Posted by: Icepick.5210

Icepick.5210

Yet another ecto conspiracy thread. I need to start selling tinfoil on the TP. There is nothing but your anecdotal evidence to support this claim. People have been testing ecto rates fairly diligently over the last few weeks and none of them have found any change outside the normal bounds of what is expected.

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

rng is rng, nothing has changed. I’ve been making a killing on ectos.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Are you salvaging items that don’t give ectos maybe?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The massive price drop of ectos since the Feb 26th patch indicates we have ectoplasm leaking out of our ears now.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/19721

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

The last thread like this was shut down with the BLTC Anet guy who said that no changes were done to ectos, and if the salvage rates were to be changed we would be let know about it.

Stop making a new conspiracy every time you don’t get ectos from a couple salvages, it’s called RNG.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Aren’t humans amazing creatures? Seeing patterns in randomness, paranoia, and confirmation bias amplified by an audience.

I salvaged 5 rares earlier and only got 1 ecto, what did you DOOOOO ANET!

Posted by: HoboLyra.4908

HoboLyra.4908

More like 10 if us salvaging over 100 lv77+ rares with black lion chests only to get 10 ectos… and that was just one mass salvage. We’ve done others with the same result recently as well, while before our average evened out the ectos to a 1:1 ratio after that.

-Tarnished Coast-
Obsidian Spire OS / EXS

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I also killed at least 4 mobs earlier today and NONE of them dropped exotics.

Why were exotics removed from loottables!? =P

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Keirion.9105

Keirion.9105

It was not nerfed. If you had searched the forums you would that there have already been dev responses to this and this is a repeated thread.

Posted by: Alkron.1345

Alkron.1345

Seeing all these ecto forums makes me wish I had actually kept track of when I went through about 12+ BLS Kits….

Not nerfed though, I’m still maintaining a roughly same salvage rate. Some nights I’ll pull out 10+ ectos from 5 rares, other nights only 1 or 2.

OP, and everyone really, please remember RNG is RNG (as tiring and ridiculous as it is to keep hearing that) and it’s easier to stick to a negative viewpoint (Only 5 ectos from 10 rares? NERF’D!) as opposed to positive (17 Ectos from 10 rares? Must have been a buff!) [Combine those two situations and you just pulled in 22 ectos from 20 rares]

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

You and your guildmates are not really keen on statistics.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

While I hate to promote this, I have noticed (and documented) a significant drop in ecto per rare salavage for the last 50 rares. However, the last 7 rares nearly made up for the deficit. RNG is RNG i guess.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I still get the same amount of ectos, nothing has changed.

100+ people are seeing less ectoes for mass salvaging lv80 rares

Oh really? Let all those guild members make a post here or it didn’t happen….

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

If i had an ecto for every time someone said “ecto salvage rate was nerfed” i d be rich.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I think it may SEEM like it was nerfed due to the fact people are getting MORE items to salvage now. So of course with the more salvage attempts you are gonna see more failures. Btw I have noticed this myself.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Geotherma.2395

Just a recap-

BL kits
400 tested
496 Ecto

Master kits
400 tested
357 ecto

Total tested 800
Total ectos 853

Before people post about nerfing ectos “again” please keep in mind:

Which kits are you using
What level rares are you using
What is your sample size
Proof

I’ll be happy to contribute further to the Ecto thread already made in the future with larger numbers and after patches.

On a side note keep in mind that tons of people are now receiving rares, some of which are either used to lots of rares, not used to lots of rares, or somewhere in between. There will be conflicting reports but the information remains the same. Your drops along with everything else in game are controlled by statistical mechanic that decides the outcome with a RNG incorporated. These are monitored by staff and programmers and we are only able to see half of that “pie”. With what we have we do research based on what we do know which gives us a rough idea of an outcome. So long as unbiased information is retained and the games mechanic themselves do not change, we will maintain a consistency which we can then voice our concerns about once all data is clearly understood and displayed.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Dude your guild must be HUGE. If I asked mine if anyone had reduced salvaged ectos since last patch I would be lucky to get 5 people to answer me with a 322 person roster. But you got over 100 people to answer you?

It must be over 9000!!!

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Dude your guild must be HUGE. If I asked mine if anyone had reduced salvaged ectos since last patch I would be lucky to get 5 people to answer me with a 322 person roster. But you got over 100 people to answer you?

It must be over 9000!!!

That sounds like a Guild issue to me. Why would you have 300+ people in a guild if they don’t even communicate what’s the point?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Geotherma.2395

It must be over 9000!!!

That sounds like a Guild issue to me. Why would you have 300+ people in a guild if they don’t even communicate what’s the point?

300 ninjas?

Posted by: Anatolian Turk.4057

Anatolian Turk.4057

It must be over 9000!!!

300 ninjas?

more like 300 spartans

Honourable Guardian | Desolation
Arenanet killed WvW
R.I.P. WvW 2012 – 2015

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It must be over 9000!!!

300 ninjas?

more like 300 spartans

“Tonight we dine in Orr!”

Also of a note, I’ve been having great success with Black Lion kits. Alas, I am now salvaging ones from the dragon champions and having managed to get lucky . . . well, I used to have four from Daily rewards. I now have 6 uses left on one :P

Come on, little kits, Daddy Tobias still needs his Ecto . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Well I am thinking its game set and match to all us non-believers.
Though I am kinda glad the rest of the luckless 100+ salvagers failed to respond in support of the OP’s wild accusations, it could of made this another Ecto Yawn thread.

OP.. 3 notes to consider.. sample size, anecdotal reinforcements and better understanding of the fact that RNG sometimes means that, like your thread, it can lead to a big fail!… but that’s the risk and reward that comes with it I guess.
BTW.. my Ecto farming isn’t doing well either.. last night I only pulled 3 from 2 salvages – must be nerfed !

Geotherma.2395

It must be over 9000!!!

300 ninjas?

more like 300 spartans

“Tonight we dine in Orr!”

Also of a note, I’ve been having great success with Black Lion kits. Alas, I am now salvaging ones from the dragon champions and having managed to get lucky . . . well, I used to have four from Daily rewards. I now have 6 uses left on one :P

Come on, little kits, Daddy Tobias still needs his Ecto . . .

I use BL chests to get mine, on top of the other rewards its nice heh. But free is always best

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

Stop this… really it’s painful. I’ve been asking my guildies about how much ectos they get when salvaging. I’ve also kept track of my last 100 rare salvages, guess what I got more than 150 ectos total (168). There is no ecto salvage nerf.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

If ecto drop rates are nerfed then we’d have empirical evidence for it.

Speaking of empirical evidence, it goes contrary to your claim OP:

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

In this thread: people complaining about RNG.

My salvage ratio has always been 1:1 or better (on average).
Of course there are times when I salvage something and don’t get ecto…
and of course there are times when I salvage something and get 3 ecto.

bottom line is…. I don’t feel there have been any changes to the salvage chance of ecto (in the last month).

Back before HotW was nerfed, I would get significantly more ectos from salvaging my lvl 70 CoF dungeon vendor headgear. They nerfed ectos from salvages then, and I’m pretty sure there have been no changes to the salvaging since that nerf (months ago).

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: inbetween.5623

inbetween.5623

Where have I heard this before?
This thread surfaces every other day. Speculation about salvage rates never seems to end.
Three words: Small sample size.
Also the reduction in ecto prices is a direct result of the boss event chests, so it isn’t entirely relevant to salvage rates.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

I actually think they have got better in the last month or so.

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Rapid increases in ecto prices (~20%) with no apparent reason?

edit: nvm found the reason. World bosses getting nerfed to 1 chest/account rather than character.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

(edited by Zephyrus.9680)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Posted by: Omer.5096

Omer.5096

It’s on a RNG system. Some days you’ll have great luck, some days you won’t get anything.

Just this weekend, I traded in my CoF tokens for rares, got around 10 rares, and salvaged 14 ecots. A couple weeks ago, I got less than 10. It’s just the roll of the dice.

Secondly, as others have pointed out, ecto supply has never been higher due to guaranteed rares from world event chests. The price has plummeted from around 40s to 25s, although it has been creeping back up due to the announcement that you won’t be able to guest-harvest ectos anymore.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Nothing has been changed.

I salvaged 5 items on my Guardian and got 14 ectos. I then swapped to my Thief and salvaged 9 items and got 2.

It’s random.

Posted by: Notsure.7028

Notsure.7028

Well, I must be awful lucky then cause I get at least 1 ecto every other salvage attempt with a good 60% of the time being 3 ectos per rare. Ima go buy a lottery ticket!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

My ecto salavaging remains quite favorable.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I have never, ever, not gotten at least 1 ecto from an exotic rare salvage, and I haven’t used a BLK salvage kit on them yet. I save those to strip upgrades.

I’m a pretty casual player tho; the last time I got a rare to salvage was a couple weeks ago, the second to last time I played.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

It’s strange how this things in Market changes soo much after an update that said it didn’t changed nothing about it.

I’m wondering, but I get MAD when even Exotics give me no Ecto —’

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

Which kits are you using
What is your sample size
Proof

Well, I don’t have any proof, but I use BL salvage kits exclusively on all my lvl 80 rares and out of the last 17 rares I’ve salvaged, I’ve gotten zero ectos.

Worst RNG run ever. Sometimes I used to get none, but that was rarely. Now, I get none every time.

If this keeps up, I’ll stop buying BL kits and just sell the rare for 25-30s and buy an ecto. At least I’ll be guaranteed one each time.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Remember ANET said there was no drop nerf in the Nov 15th patch only to back peddle 3 months latter.

Asglarek.8976

I have never, ever, not gotten at least 1 ecto from an exotic rare salvage, and I haven’t used a BLK salvage kit on them yet. I save those to strip upgrades.

I’m a pretty casual player tho; the last time I got a rare to salvage was a couple weeks ago, the second to last time I played.

You are guaranteed an ecto from an exotic salvage of iirc ilvl76 or higher.

Asglarek.8976

If ecto drop rates are nerfed then we’d have empirical evidence for it.

Speaking of empirical evidence, it goes contrary to your claim OP:

Thats not empirical evidence we have no idea of when those ecto’s were salvaged they could be for all we know ectos that are just now surfacing from the 10’s of thousands of ectos that were made during the wintersday recipe salvage scandal.

(edited by Asglarek.8976)

Geotherma.2395

Which kits are you using
What is your sample size
Proof

Well, I don’t have any proof, but I use BL salvage kits exclusively on all my lvl 80 rares and out of the last 17 rares I’ve salvaged, I’ve gotten zero ectos.

Worst RNG run ever. Sometimes I used to get none, but that was rarely. Now, I get none every time.

If this keeps up, I’ll stop buying BL kits and just sell the rare for 25-30s and buy an ecto. At least I’ll be guaranteed one each time.

17 rares and 0 ectos, you must be doing something wrong.. And I rarely ever say that.. But there’s statistically almost no way that’s possible. Please see “BL salvage VS Master Salvage” thread.

If you seriously did 17 with 0 ecto and make it to 20 rares with no ecto, I would send a bug report..

Asglarek.8976

It was not nerfed. If you had searched the forums you would that there have already been dev responses to this and this is a repeated thread.

Yeah we had 20k+ posts in the drop nerf thread with dozens of posts from the dev’s stating nothing had been changed in the Nov15th patch that effected drops then poof one day they redacted their comments and said yep hehe somthing did break drop rates.

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Yeah we had 20k+ posts in the drop nerf thread with dozens of posts from the dev’s stating nothing had been changed in the Nov15th patch that effected drops then poof one day they redacted their comments and said yep hehe somthing did break drop rates.

Wasn’t that the bug with the mobs not counting your participation properly for the loot? That’s a bug o.O, not nerf… Nerfs are intentional.

Anyways, ectos are the same. There was a few months ago where I thought the exact same thing, that the ectos salvage rate was nerfed, but then I realized it didn’t changed and I was just being paranoid. Drops for salvage have been pretty much the same. Just don’t get paranoid over it like I did in the past.

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Haven’t noticed a drag, been getting the usual 10 ectos per 7-12 rares.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

oh god, not this again…

- rng = rng
- there is no stealth nerf
- your sample is too small to make an accurate conclusion
- etc, etc, etc

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

Just did 50 Salvages with BL Salvage Kits, and got 60 Ectos.