Why there's no LFG 7m after launch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: StevesDad.8213

StevesDad.8213

Soo in some people words “Let’s not have a LFG System! Let’s all use external websites that adds functions that the game itself doesn’t have!!!”

Since this game turned out to be a supreme disappointment after Guild Wars 1, I take that a step further and play other games. They add the function of “fun to play” which this fails at.

“We don’t make grindy games” (until we run out of money)

I like how you were infracted for calling out the truth, or even speculating. This place is literally kitten Germany on a forum. The terms of service are ridiculous, the lack of information is astounding, and no one can speak their mind without flowering it up a lot.

THEN there’s the irony that you can’t discuss infracted posts, while you gleefully display if a user was infracted for it.

GREAT forums. This is why you don’t show the timestamp of the last post, because this place is dead and people are tired of both the game and the gestapo attitude you have about everything.

I am almost positive I’m wasting my breath here, post will be infracted/deleted, and I’ll notice a week from now when I log in again to see how this game is doing.

The absolute best part about this though? Blizzard CMs are even better than this. What a joke.

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

Hey OP, can you list all the AAA MMOs that had an LFG at launch. Cause I’m having trouble thinking of any.

Ya, it took wow like 5 years to get one. Suddenly GW2 has to launch with one because if it doesn’t it looks cheap? Aha.

Some of the doomsayers on this forum really blow me away.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

The argument that it took a competitor a long time to get something is not a valid argument. Why does it keep coming up?

In order to remain competitive, you need to offer services/features which your consumers want. In this case, a LFG is wanted. Competitors have realized this and implemented them. In order to remain competitive in the current market, the supplier needs to offer these features in addition to exclusive features, or it will lose customers to the competition.

Simple economic theory.

Posted by: Funky.9762

Funky.9762

It doesn’t matter if other games started without LFG, wow launched 100 years ago, GW2 launched in 2012, LFG is common sense now.

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

Hey OP, can you list all the AAA MMOs that had an LFG at launch. Cause I’m having trouble thinking of any.

Ya, it took wow like 5 years to get one. Suddenly GW2 has to launch with one because if it doesn’t it looks cheap? Aha.

So given that GW2 was released AFTER WoW and GW1, this has no significance to you?

They’ve done it before, they should have done it again.

It doesn’t matter if other games started without LFG, wow launched 100 years ago, GW2 launched in 2012, LFG is common sense now.

The argument that it took a competitor a long time to get something is not a valid argument. Why does it keep coming up?

In order to remain competitive, you need to offer services/features which your consumers want. In this case, a LFG is wanted. Competitors have realized this and implemented them. In order to remain competitive in the current market, the supplier needs to offer these features in addition to exclusive features, or it will lose customers to the competition.

Especially considering how many design changes they made to appeal to the WoW crowd, leaving this one out just seems weird.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I’m not even asking for a LFG system like WoW, kitten no, I’m asking for the old “P” screen from Guild Wars 1.

You know, the MMO

That this company made

Seven Years ago.

Arenanet didn’t make an MMO 7 years ago. Guild Wars 2 is their first MMO.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Made me laugh just now when I went to the gw2lfg.com site and the main advert banner was a link to a gold selling site.

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Oooh gw2lfg uses third party banners, just like some of those others I alluded to.

All of your account are belong to us.

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

Lol, I wonder if the gold-seller sites that are directly affecting GW2’s bottom line will be the final catalyst for the devs to implement LFG =D

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Made me laugh just now when I went to the gw2lfg.com site and the main advert banner was a link to a gold selling site.

Scary… but, I would never have known about those banners because I have script blocking plug-ins running on all browsers. That, plus a variety of malware, spyware and virus detection software helps one sleep better at night…

The fact remains: By relying on third parties for (what should be) a fundamental in-game capability, you open the door for malicious individuals to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting or naive.

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Scary… but, I would never have known about those banners because I have script blocking plug-ins running on all browsers. That, plus a variety of malware, spyware and virus detection software helps one sleep better at night…

The fact remains: By relying on third parties for (what should be) a fundamental in-game capability, you open the door for malicious individuals to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting or naive.

I said this above a couple of times – enjoy being PM’d to death by the kids wanting a more prescriptive explanation of how to exploit the community!

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

the number of people arguing that we should completely ignore the past is reducing my faith in the viability of our species

its very simple

1. before doing anything you see what others have done before you, what problems they had and solutions they came up with

2. take info from 1 and use it to improve and reduce problems when your doing it

just because it took X however long to reach a point doesn’t mean it should take that long every time, unless you’d like to go back to living in a cave and developing all modern technology from scratch every generation this argument holds 0 merit.

anything that relates to the functionality of the game should be in the game not on an external site, you should never have to stop playing to go check a website to get a viable LFG and market data.

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The irony here is that :

You dont get major fixes because ’ they take time ’ .

You dont get minor fixes because ’ they are low on priority list’ .

What you get thou is..

New back packs.

Yes,cause they are sure at the top of priority list now and game would come crashing from sky without new backpack every week.

Oh you fanny fanny Anet.

A whole rafter of things have been improved and implemented. Just being able to preview items from the marketplace, and preview weapons while drawn instead of sheathed was a major thing in the last update. Made a big difference to my game.

Today we did a guild mission. Yes, it’s new content that needs work, but it was fun. This is the second one we finished. One more and we can unlock the next type. We expect to do this on Sunday.

Fractals were added after launch and some people seem to like that. There are tons of bug fixes that have happened, many not even documented. There are, of course, still bugs left.

But saying the dev team isn’t doing anything but putting cute stuff in the store is disingenuous at best.

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

So given that GW2 was released AFTER WoW and GW1, this has no significance to you?

They’ve done it before, they should have done it again.

Especially considering how many design changes they made to appeal to the WoW crowd, leaving this one out just seems weird.

It’ll come when it’s ready, is my motto. Complaining about it wont get it any faster.

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

I haven’t had to see an ad banner in years. It’s scary people still allow those things to show up.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Go to lion’s arch
/map
’Lfg/starting group (insert dungeon or fractal here. You know you can do a higher level fractal with someone and still get bumped up, right?)
/join /create group

And i that doesnt work, guest on higher pop server and try. This is nothing like ye olde bc days, its much better

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Did Rift? I can’t remember…

Fair point, well taken.

Posted by: Jaher Dal.9503

Jaher Dal.9503

Serophous has the right idea. If I need help, or just looking for people to run around with if my guild mates are busy, I use /say and /map and have no problem finding people to group with. Granted, a lot of players I’ve encountered aren’t very sociable, and map chat tends to have the two or three trolls, I still haven’t had any problems grouping with people.
If I see someone running around with the LFG symbol on, I always invite them and ask what assistance they need.

Jemmi.6058

I would prefer they add a LFG channel. Map chat is so spammed, I hide it 99% of the time.

By spammed I mean there are way too many people asking to run different dungeons, and there are even more people saying useless things they think are funny.

With a LFG channel, I could pop in/out of it whenever I wanted to find a group.

I still think a tool would be best though. I do not want to interrupt my game-play to sit in LA for 20 minutes so I can give up in finding a group for a dungeon story mode.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Lack of a LFG tool and a valid party UI is killing this game for me as an MMO at the moment. Have been playing nearly a month again now, and It’s really sad that I cant hop in a LFG queue 7 months after release.

Let’s be honest here, the UI in this game is abysmal and makes MMO’s made in 2004 blush from how big a of a step back it is.

Don’t get me wrong this game is fun and I’m enjoying my time, but it doesn’t really do anything well in multiplayer PvE combat. It’s so hard to find groups for anything it may as well be a single player PvE experience minus zone events and DE’s.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

(edited by Aeonblade.8709)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Really? You think adding another channel will help? No. Lets remember how Trade chat was in WoW shall we? Oh yeah, trolls and people just chatting.

And interrupting your gameplay? This boggles me. Its not that its interrupting your gameplay, you’re just letting a machine play a part for you. Socializing is part of an MMO. Get out there, talk, meet people, add them as friends. Betteryet, when you get into a good group for a dungeon and liked the people, ADD THEM TO YOUR FRIENDS LIST. Then boom! You have a list of people who like to run dungeons.

Anet said how they want a strong community for gw2, and ther are mini communities which are the servers. The lfg tool destroyed many server commnities in wow, i know, mine was one.

Jemmi.6058

Really? You think adding another channel will help? No. Lets remember how Trade chat was in WoW shall we? Oh yeah, trolls and people just chatting.

And interrupting your gameplay? This boggles me. Its not that its interrupting your gameplay, you’re just letting a machine play a part for you. Socializing is part of an MMO. Get out there, talk, meet people, add them as friends. Betteryet, when you get into a good group for a dungeon and liked the people, ADD THEM TO YOUR FRIENDS LIST. Then boom! You have a list of people who like to run dungeons.

Anet said how they want a strong community for gw2, and ther are mini communities which are the servers. The lfg tool destroyed many server commnities in wow, i know, mine was one.

1. Adding another channel would indeed help. How can you not see this? For your example of WoW – trade was bogged down with spam. However, the LFG channel was great and useful (I used it fairly often). I ignored the Trade channel as I ignore the map channel now. Your argument only helps my point?

2. I am unsure where your confusion comes from. My gameplay is interrupted because I stop running dynamic events, doing vistas, achieving skill points, completing renown quests (etc), so that I can go sit in L.A. and repeat LFG over and over. Do you see where the interruption in gameplay comes from now?

3. Socializing and meeting people. Yes, when I am out in the world, I help people as I see them. I chat to them and say hi, res them and run events together. Sitting solo in L.A. spamming map chat is not socializing. It’s spamming. I do however have a pretty decent guild that I run events /dungeons with now, so I am happy with that. Using map chat in L.A. is definitely not the answer though.

4. I disagree that community was destroyed with the LFG tool in WoW, but I suppose our experiences differ. If you want to be social in a group from LFG, say hi when you enter the dungeon – I always did.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Personally I never experienced a destruction of community after the LFG tool was introduced in WoW. The community was garbage to begin with on most servers, and the LFG tool didn’t change that. I know on Magtheridon it actually helped the community when it came out because it let you meet new people to play with when guildies and friends weren’t online. It’s not like you could meet a lot of these people in the chat channel, because a lot of people turned those off for obvious reasons.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Fair point, well taken.

No, Rift’s LFG tool came with update 1.2, about 2 months after release. Tera did come with a LFG tool in north america, but the original korean release (that was about a year and a half earlier) didn’t have one.

Personally I never experienced a destruction of community after the LFG tool was introduced in WoW. The community was garbage to begin with on most servers, and the LFG tool didn’t change that. I know on Magtheridon it actually helped the community when it came out because it let you meet new people to play with when guildies and friends weren’t online. It’s not like you could meet a lot of these people in the chat channel, because a lot of people turned those off for obvious reasons.

That was my experience as well, I actually made a lot more friends (some became guildies later) using the LFG tool in WoW than I did before using it. Of course, I generally did some work as well, adding in my friends list those I had a good dungeon run with (and note that I’d consider a better run a flawed one full of wipes but where people keep a good mood than a flawless one with “go go go” style elite players) with a little note of what role they played or anything else of interest there, and kept contact with them and sent them tells anytime I was in a group needing more and they were online to see if they wanted to do a dungeon at the time.

And actually, I’d say the lack of one did hurt TSW a lot, since once people started doing elite and nightmare dungeons (at level cap) then without a functional LFG tool the only way to form a group was to stand in Agartha (the travel hub) spamming general chat instead of actually being out in the rest of the game world, which made the zones feel more empty than they could have been.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Vayne.8563

Fair point, well taken.

Rift didn’t have one at launch. In fact, the battles on the Rift forums for and against it coming in were legendary. There were a lot of people against LFG tools, particularly cross-server LFG tools. I was there when the LFG tool launched for Rift and it was many months after launch.

And Rift didn’t have a site like GW2lfg.com

Posted by: Mougen.6702

Mougen.6702

I do quite enjoy all the people saying “Other games didn’t have it at lunch!” First off how many successful mmos are out right now? A hand full? Most of them do have a lfg tool.

Well my ps1 shooters didn’t all have online multiplayer or leader boards so clearly none of my ps3 games need it either!

Lets assume we are talking about wow….THE GAME IS OVER 8 YEARS OLD!

Sure it didn’t have lfg at launch but it has had it for years now and it’s very successful. I think the point I’m getting at is clearly games build off of each other and genres of games improve over time. You would expect to get a much better quality of game then you got 8 years ago in almost any instance of the gaming market. Many people complain about feeling lost at end game with very little to do and this tool would be a nice quick fix to getting people grouping up and playing the game past 80. It could even be used to toss you into leveling groups (lvl 18-22 leveling in X zone). It would be a great way to make friends and keep game play social from start to finish.

A lfg tool clearly should have been set up in game at launch. The fact that is wasn’t and hasn’t been is for the same reason many other things that should be in game haven’t been. We got handed an unfinished product. All you need to do is take a quick glance at sPvP and tPvP to know that. Still that’s not the problem, the problem is the lack of improvement since launch. I mean after coming back after months of not playing, I see very few major changes.

Most of the changes that do get churned out seem like attempts to make sure you don’t make too much money with rare drops and what not to try to force you into using the gem store. That seems to be the major priority here. The other thing I noticed? A lot less people around.

Ultimately this game is fun for a lot of reasons. I love the game play, the events, the way you can play your toon the way you want to play it. It’s sad to see a game that has so much potential flounder. The pvp could have been amazing, but its not due to lack of modes and game play options. The pve is new and interesting but finding groups and really knowing what to do can be a pain. The UI is simple and clunky. There are still a lot of glitches and bugs that I’ve seen since launch that are unresolved.

There are always going to be people playing this game that are in love with the idea of it, but as long as the gem store is the most important thing to developers, then I really see the game dropping down in the next year or so to only die hard fans. If you want to release an unfinished product that’s one thing, but you need to be prepared to work your buns off to make big improvements past launch. I guess my question is, does anyone feel like anet is doing that?

Vayne.8563

I do quite enjoy all the people saying “Other games didn’t have it at lunch!” First off how many successful mmos are out right now? A hand full? Most of them do have a lfg tool.

Well my ps1 shooters didn’t all have online multiplayer or leader boards so clearly none of my ps3 games need it either!

Lets assume we are talking about wow….THE GAME IS OVER 8 YEARS OLD!

Because MMOs take so long to make, and cost so much money, devs have to make a list of things they need to do and things they want to do. At the end of the day, there’s only so much time before you have to launch. Features like guesting, for example, were supposed to be in at launch and didn’t make it. Those features have priority, because they were expected.

There will be an LFG tool at some point, when they’re done with it. Until then, there won’t be. Just like every other MMO.

I know some people feel that no game can exist without an LFG tool..but most of them did until it was released. And not all of those games have failed.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Well technically there is a LFG tool.

It’s not any good but saying there isn’t one is false.

Posted by: Mougen.6702

Mougen.6702

[quote=1731498;Vayne.8563: I know some people feel that no game can exist without an LFG tool..but most of them did until it was released. And not all of those games have failed.[/quote]

Its much harder for an mmo to make a come back then it is to have it start strong. Let’s be honest, every mmo is dying and none of them will truly last forever. The only difference from a complete, well made mmo and a bad one isn’t IF they mmo will die, its just how long you expect it to last and be truly successful. Every time people stop playing for one reason or another some wont come back at all regardless of the changes you make. A lfg tool isn’t the only thing this game is missing. I still play and enjoy the game but I really wish they would get this game to a point where I feel like it’ll last for years and years. In order for that to happen they need to start making major improvements to the core game play, like spvp, lfg, the ui, bug fixes, balance issues (zerker warrior lf 3 more zerker warriors) and such. Sold core gameplay > silly new zones. I think the point is to be very successful, not just to exist.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

jeez, they are working on it, that’s what I meant. gw2lfg works until it’s in the game. So stop whining. It’s not going to make it happen any faster.

and Vayne, eve is increasing in subs, I don’t really think that’s dying. Pretty sure gaining players is the opposite of dying :p

Mougen, yes wow is successful, but the lfg tool RUINED the game for a lot of people. It’s why all of my friends and I left, different games and systems appeal to different people.

I play gw2 partly because of no forced trinity, and no auto dungeon finder. I’m glad that anet agree with me on this so I know i’ll enjoy gw2.
I do agree that core gameplay is best, but I think class balance/viability is most important.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

(edited by emikochan.8504)

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I think the reason is, they don’t want Average Joe Gamer to be able to click a button, be put into a group, and wipe it because he doesn’t understand some dumb boss gimmick that had zero external testing done on it before launch.

Then, they might have to, Grenth forbid, BALANCE these encounters :o

GW2LFG works for them because Average Joe Gamer has to be aware that it exists in the first place, and are thus elevated above the Average Joe Gamer status into something else.

User was infracted for being awesome.

(edited by RebelYell.7132)

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

The LFG website is clunky and inefficient. Too many times I have responded to fresh posts within seconds of their posting only to get the reply “sorry, we’re full”. I actually gave up using it for that reason. I’ve had better luck in map chat.

The game needs an LFG tool. Period. It’s silly to argue about this. The fact that GW2 needs an external source for grouping is unbecoming of an MMO with the distinction of “best of 2012”.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Simple economic theory.

This is an interesting post, because Guild Wars 2 does employ many very strong market differentiators (this is what you meant when you said “services/features which your customers want”- it’s actually features that your customers want that your competitors do not offer that win the day), but neither lacking nor having an LFG tool would be one of them. Secondly, you seem to be approaching the issue from the position that Guild Wars 2 will not remain competitive, or is struggling to be competitive, in the MMO market right now. Is that a correct interpretation?

Just turned 80 only doing wvw.
Now I wanted to do the first dungeon I got mail for…nobody is interested on the map, no tool to find other players besides spamming in /M every 5 minutes. Not user friendly and basically makes the story dungeons kittenblock.

Please I hope you are working on a simple LFG tool…in wow I understand they would want people to waste time since it is a pay per month game. Waiting and spamming is not convenient nor is using a third party website.

First off, I’m sorry you had trouble finding a group on Map Chat for AC Story (I’m assuming you were asking on Plains of Ashford).

However, I have to note that GW2LFG (the third party website) is convenient. It’s outrageously convenient. It is so flipping convenient that literally all ArenaNet would need to do is reproduce its exact functionality through the in-game UI and we could all go home. Please give it a shot, and good luck in the Catacombs!

Posted by: cottage.3274

cottage.3274

i want to start with a good word on this game.
gw2 is really a very innovative game,revolutionary in its gameplay and just plain simple pure fun.
but…
people that play mmo`s in 2012/13 have a basic standard for what need to be in a mmo this days.
metaphorically when you feel you want to eat a pizza you know that 99.9% of the places you are going to buy a slice from you will get dough,tomato sauce and cheese the toppings can change but the core of the pizza will stay.
now gw2 failed to give very basic things that one will expect to have in a new game.

1)poor optimization: people that have 15k gaming rigs play this game like its golden axe.
this is absolutely not acceptable not 7 months after release not even one day after release.(the dough)

2)basic ui tools: one of them is a proper user friendly effective lfg tool,an mmo without it is just sad,you can like it or not,you can use it or not,but it needs to be there nevertheless.
again this is absolutely not acceptable not 7 months after release not even one day after release and lfg tool is just one thing out of a few that are missing in this game.(the tomato sauce)

3)competitive play & matchmaking system: for a game that said esport over and over again before it was released its sad,the competitive people that came to the game from other mmos mainly wow to take a part in this so called esport game quickly realized it was not and will not be for a long time if ever.
the loss of this people have a very big impact on the community and we will not likely see them coming back.
and not a lot to say on a matchmaking system more basic then that you cant get.
this is absolutely not acceptable to start to fix this things 6 months into the game,and still its not like its done just a very small part of it is in the game atm.(the cheese).

i do get that anet wanted to cash in on the hype and launch the game as fast as they can but what i pointed out is not things that you can afford leaving out this days in a game you win now and lose later.

happy passover