Why there should be a dps meter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: skittlebob.4850

skittlebob.4850

Requesting yet another DPS meter? In this forum??

You brave, brave soul.

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

Hello all and OP, I did not read all posts replies because I expect most of them will just blame you for using the word elitist and talking about progression, and all this non-constructive stuff I am familiar with on this forum . You know, people are afraid of performance :)

Anyway I would like to stress how useful of an idea this would be in order to know how well you can be performning at a personnal level. However, it would be extremely complicated to put in place (too many factors to include! and some would be subjective..). Also, once you know other classes it is very easy to know if they are doing their job (not the numbers but the boons, the cc ..) or not. Finally, content is too easy! Any team of 3 with brains can pretty much fly through everything untill fract 30 …
My advice: use the social side of the game. Only play with friends, with people you know, who have the same philosophy and will to perform as you. Be an elitist and play with elitists.

Oh, and expect people to despise you for wanting to perform…

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Lorenzo.4896

Lorenzo.4896

I know what we really need, a DPS METER yes but a FAKE ONE, so everyone can be #1 all the time, wouldn’t it be great?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

As long as the DPS meter is for the player alone, and not their party, I’m all for it.

The majority of my MMOing the past 7 years was in raiding MMOs, and I regularly played Tanks, Healers and Support. I played DPS maybe once or twice, but it was never for me. That said, if I was tanking or healing and someone starting kittening about another player’s DPS… I’d boot them from the group. Simple as that.

If you are in such a hurry that someone causing our group run to last an extra 5 minutes with their DPS is a huge problem for you, then I’ll be in such a hurry that your endless whining slowing us down an extra 5 minutes will be a huge problem for me.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Hello all and OP, I did not read all posts replies because I expect most of them will just blame you for using the word elitist and talking about progression, and all this non-constructive stuff I am familiar with on this forum . You know, people are afraid of performance

Anyway I would like to stress how useful of an idea this would be in order to know how well you can be performning at a personnal level. However, it would be extremely complicated to put in place (too many factors to include! and some would be subjective..). Also, once you know other classes it is very easy to know if they are doing their job (not the numbers but the boons, the cc ..) or not. Finally, content is too easy! Any team of 3 with brains can pretty much fly through everything untill fract 30 …
My advice: use the social side of the game. Only play with friends, with people you know, who have the same philosophy and will to perform as you. Be an elitist and play with elitists.

Oh, and expect people to despise you for wanting to perform…

You should have read them. More than a few posters don’t mind the thought of a metre for personal use.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Onis.2418

Onis.2418

“People would still request you to post your gears and kick you out if you don’t have what they want. We’ve all seen that this happens in other games with DPS meter. It’d be just that extra elitism it brings – you’d be kicked out later for not having enough DPS in case you do stop to res someone.”

First off, I’ve given arguments why people would not care about gear if they had access to dps because gear is only POTENTIAL dps but dps done in the past is actual dps. But even if this were true, having an official link to your past performance would fix this issue, as it can legitimize your claims.

dps meter actually SOLVES for elitism because instead of people being denied based on gear, they’re now denied based on dps, which is better for reasons explained in the OP.

Actually I was responding to that particular thing you said. Just because people will put more importance on how good your DPS was in the past, it doesn’t mean that the amount of elitism will be the same or less. I still say it’ll be worse than before. Currently I think a lot of the elitists take in a lot of people who aren’t Really up to their standards. In return these people will get their exotics and learn to become better at the game. If we did have DPS check that you can link later on, the focus of elitism would just change to a different place.

In my opinion it basically doesn’t solve elitism, but makes it worse.

Personal DPS meter should be good enough. It should help the min/maxers, groups can decide if they want you, you have the choice of telling them (just leave out the pinging which basically would force you to show what your DPS is like pinging gear does) and you can start ranking people by DPS rather than equipment.

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

i’d like to see those kind of meter too, not only dps.
you guys are probably too scared about a kind of gear score to come back.
every time i see thee posts i wonderif we play the same game.
if you look at gw2lfg u find mostly lfm zerk warr gear check or kick stuff cause you never moved from cof p1 page.
even there try to write “lfm any class welcome”, u’ll fill in seconds.
The reason gw2lfg cof page is full o zerker stuff is becauseof the dungon first, and because if someone rightfully wish to play that way, why shouldn’t he be allowed to do so?
Or whyshould i be forced to bring with me a player that doesn’t meet my standards, is no secret that going zerker with melee classes i harder, and works if u dps down quick, a non dps team member can lead to longer kill time and more possibilities for ppl to die.
A dps meter wiould llow other classes to demonstrate their value, specially in other less akitten dungeons.
a dps meter would teach ppl that an ele can do more dps than a warr somtimes and also better surviveability accasionally.
guys too often isee posts talking about dungons that at the end are actually talking about cof p1, or better: cof p1 the fastest possible or worst: my profession/build cannot do that, but i want anyway soi try to join a party even if i don’t meet reqirements at other expenses.
what about achivement points then? clearly exposed as soon as u join a party? even if is true that they doesn’t rapresent skills they definetly do rapresent exerience and time spent on the game, specially since they removed infinite achivments.
thes stuff doesn’t promote ellitism, they promote association of like-minded ppl, casual with asuals, elitists with elitists.
nothing wrong with that, better be kicked at beginning for not meeting req, than in middle-run because you clearly lied on your stats.
is even better not to Group with “only zerker Group” at all if you are not so!

as for cookie cutter builds, is already too hard for a beginner to find out what bild aim for, do you really want hem to try and fail? there is no problem wih so called bilds to exist, you can Always run around with your own experimental build, join a casual party and have fun.
and if you say that game would be too easy is not build’s fault, that’s where balance come across..
if you still don’t want cookie cutter build coz would be too easy,well you can Always try to solo lupi naked for challenge lol.

cheers!

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

with this dps meter, surely my guardian won’t be accepted to any parties because i specced him with support.

dps meter is good in games like diablo III because all the characters do there is to dps. Guild Wars 2 is not diablo III or dps only game.

but it’s good to have for personal use.

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

with this dps meter, surely my guardian won’t be accepted to any parties because i specced him with support.

dps meter is good in games like diablo III because all the characters do there is to dps. Guild Wars 2 is not diablo III or dps only game.

Is this a joke or no? There is literally no reason not to go full DPS for GW2 PvE. Support and Tank are a waste of time that just make everything take longer. I hope that they change this, but in the current implementation of dungeons, there isn’t a single fight where having better DPS wouldn’t make it a lot easier and a lot a faster.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Is this a joke or no? There is literally no reason not to go full DPS for GW2 PvE. Support and Tank are a waste of time that just make everything take longer. I hope that they change this, but in the current implementation of dungeons, there isn’t a single fight where having better DPS wouldn’t make it a lot easier and a lot a faster.

Thanks for proving why there shouldn’t be any meters in the game.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

1. You never addressed my response that what you believed to be my premise was not even my premise. 2. What you say about formal logic is only true if the premises are dependent on each other, which they are not, since each premise independently proves the conclusion. For example, let me demonstrate. Suppose the conclusion is, “the government should legalize X drug.” You could have two arguments: 1. “The government does not have the constitutional power to prohibit X drug.” and 2. “The government, even if it had the power to prohibit X drug, should not do so because it has harmful consequences.” Even if argument 1 were incorrect, argument 2 would still prove the conclusion. Hope that helps. And please don’t end with the ad hominem, it detracts from your argument.

Indeed, that’s what I meant. Other premises could be correct but the one you used was false. Since I don’t want DPS meters, I merely had to point out your premise was false to invalidate your argument. Furthermore, if the premise is wrong, I’m not going to read a wall of text.

Again not an ad hominem but using the wrong premise detracts from your argument. If you meant I used an ad hominem … point out please because I don’t think I did. I merely played the ball.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Allow dps meters only for players starting at fotm lvl 40 onwards. DPS meters have no place in regular dungeons.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

marnick.4305

I know what we really need, a DPS METER yes but a FAKE ONE, so everyone can be #1 all the time, wouldn’t it be great?

How about, if you turn it off, instead the other players merely see a randomized number that’s always near the average of the other numbers. That way it sure looks like you’re carrying your weight, without them knowing you actually contributed the most through fury, aegis and weakness?

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

AlietteFaye.7316

Because the way that it’s currently designed there isn’t a reason to go into support or tanking? I’m sorry if you feel otherwise, but it’s true. There isn’t a point. All the encounters have no mechanics where being a tank or a support actually help. It’s not my fault.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

marnick.4305

Furthermore, funny to call me out on an ad hominem (which I didn’t) while this entire thread revolves around an ad hominem blaming tool. Because that’s essentially what a dps meter does … we wiped because you play ranger and didn’t do over 9000 dps so you get kicked.

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

My first argument is that gw2 is ultimately a game focused on self-progression

Beeep, wroong. Its ultimatively focused on having fun….pure, simple fun!
(UNlike most MMos out there)

My second argument is based on a philosophy of group interaction.

Its called group discrimination what you describe and its not a philosophy, its a mindset. Interaction is something else.
And you even aknowledge the elitism which comes with such a system but weight this less than your desire to ‘optimize’.
I understand…like those 3W+1M CoFp1 professors who spam the mapchat for 10 minutes for the last ‘optimized’ spot so they can rush the dungeon in super effective 3 minutes less than a PUG needs.
You mean the hardcore elite super pro farmers…which we know Anets loves so much.

First you talk about self -progression and then you talk about the ability judging others .

And you mix in the word ‘fair’ dismissing the fact that there is a training area in LA where you can have your ‘self-progression throu numbers’, all you need is a pen and paper.

Well I guess you know by now that I am not convinced by your arguments and I hope Anet isnt either

This won’t end well…

Posted by: Arcturus.5846

Arcturus.5846

Because the way that it’s currently designed there isn’t a reason to go into support or tanking? I’m sorry if you feel otherwise, but it’s true. There isn’t a point. All the encounters have no mechanics where being a tank or a support actually help. It’s not my fault.

If that were true, Guardians wouldn’t be the most wanted class. Their DPS is mediocre at best compared to other classes.

AlietteFaye.7316

If that were true, Guardians wouldn’t be the most wanted class. Their DPS is mediocre at best compared to other classes.

Warriors are indefinitely more wanted than Guardians. For their DPS.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Warriors are indefinitely more wanted than Guardians*. For their DPS.

*for CoF P1.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Dangerkips.6035

Dangerkips.6035

Requesting yet another DPS meter? In this forum??

You brave, brave soul.

Indeed, you’d better run for cover OP. There’s a deluge of angry scrubs comin your way.

AlietteFaye.7316

*for CoF P1.

Go to GW2LFG and show me anywhere that specifies “LF Support Guardian”, then. They aren’t any more requested than any other class.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

DPS meters are merely a tool that encourages elitism. Honestly I don’t care for it, taking an extra 5 minutes to run CoF doesn’t bother me as long as I do it using the spec I feel comfortable with.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

I havent had a chance to read through this yet, but i would love a DPS meter, similar to Recount in WoW. However, i also realize this opinion is taboo now-a-days, and especially in this game.

With that said, i would like to gift OP this [Flame Shield] – +40 Fire Resist. You’re going to need it, lol.

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

I say do it. It will give more granular details to those who want another tool for theorycrafting and perfecting their build. It will give “a number” for those who want to use gating metrics for joining their group. And it will provide those of us who don’t give a flip a clear indication of which groups we don’t want to join (“LFM CoF P1 — War only, ping DPS check before joining” instantly tells me I can skip that group).

Everyone wins.

oloap.9765

Dafomen.7892

Ezpz.7612:

My first argument is that gw2 is ultimately a game focused on self-progression

Beeep, wroong. Its ultimatively focused on having fun….pure, simple fun!
(UNlike most MMos out there)

Ezpz.7612:

My second argument is based on a philosophy of group interaction.

Its called group discrimination what you describe and its not a philosophy, its a mindset. Interaction is something else.
And you even aknowledge the elitism which comes with such a system but weight this less than your desire to ‘optimize’.
I understand…like those 3W+1M CoFp1 professors who spam the mapchat for 10 minutes for the last ‘optimized’ spot so they can rush the dungeon in super effective 3 minutes less than a PUG needs.
You mean the hardcore elite super pro farmers…which we know Anets loves so much.

First you talk about self -progression and then you talk about the ability judging others .

And you mix in the word ‘fair’ dismissing the fact that there is a training area in LA where you can have your ‘self-progression throu numbers’, all you need is a pen and paper.

Well I guess you know by now that I am not convinced by your arguments and I hope Anet isnt either

What problem do you exactly have with zerk groups?
do you want to be allowed to play with the build you want?
you are ofcurse.
you want to play the way you want with a Group that explicitly declared requirements to join?
sorr man, you cannot,
since
that’s simply unfair, a player is not autmatically entitled to join a Group just for buying the game!
full-fill the requirement or find one of the 10000000 parties with 0 requirements!
wut you can’t find 1?
did you try posting a lfm or you think is enough to refresh a pae several time? just try and u’ll be surprised..
beside that where is the point here, dps meter would ruin dungeons or cof p1? i never ever seen a lfm post for coe asking zerker or Death..
yeas i saw lot of vids on youtube of zerk paties clearing arah like a charm, but those are pros, 99% of the ppl out there can convince themself as much as they want that dps is the only important meter but they’ll just rethink themself the first time cof closes down and they have to fight champion effigi outside with only two other random players around..;)
Just fyi i run warr as main, zerker for cof speed runs mixed for normal runs, and knight for “very hard or new content”.
i also use ele with zerker gear nd a ond thief.

ofc dps is the only thing that mater, as long as you are a pro unlimited skills, and a progression curve i had on warrior was from knight gear to ma mix of knight zerk, a set of meters(plural!!) would help me to see if i switch th ring instead of a pice of armor would i do best dps while stil not getting oneshotted?
will i do mre ps with 2x sigil of force or 1 force 1 acuracy?
and so on..

but lfg insta join tool is on the way most likely we’ll hot-join dungeons like in spvp, then what will be the exuses not to want meters in this game?

Mungrul.9358

Go to GW2LFG and show me anywhere that specifies “LF Support Guardian”, then. They aren’t any more requested than any other class.

Tip: GW2LFG isn’t a representative sample.

It consists of people who:
1: Know it exists.
2: Run dungeons regularly.

Oh, and a brief glance over the front page of 125 entries reveals that the majority of entries requiring zerker warriors are CoF.
Indeed, I’ve also managed to explicitly prove you wrong by observing a Fractals request for a Guard (heal).

Even then though, it just goes to prove that people who run dungeons can quite often be horrible examples of humanity, with lots saying “no noobs plz”.
Do you realise how hopeless a requirement that is?
What anonymous player on the internet is actually going to say “Man, I better not join those guys, I’m SUCH a noob!”?

Oh, and finally, PvE does not necessarily mean dungeons. A lot of people seem to think it does, but those people are wrong. Dungeons are a subset of PvE, one that you can very happily ignore with no detriment to your enjoyment of the game. And in the vast, VAST majority of PvE, zerkers really aren’t required. In fact, in world meta events, particularly those in Cursed Shore, they’re a liability.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.

marnick.4305

*for CoF P1.

If you exclude COF p1 speedruns (statistical outlier), you’ll notice very quickly that guardian is the most wanted profession out there.

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

i would like a dps/healing meter…even if it just shows what im doing and not the rest of the party, i like them so i know what im doing.

as for the party im in.. i really dont mind as long as we all get through the dungeon/event and have fun

AlietteFaye.7316

Oh, and a brief glance over the front page of 125 entries reveals that the majority of entries requiring zerker warriors are CoF.
Indeed, I’ve also managed to explicitly prove you wrong by observing a Fractals request for a Guard (heal).

Even then though, it just goes to prove that people who run dungeons can quite often be horrible examples of humanity, with lots saying “no noobs plz”.
What anonymous player on the internet is actually going to say “Man, I better not join those guys, I’m SUCH a noob!”?

Oh, and finally, PvE does not necessarily mean dungeons. A lot of people seem to think it does, but those people are wrong. Dungeons are a subset of PvE, one that you can very happily ignore with no detriment to your enjoyment of the game. And in the vast, VAST majority of PvE, zerkers really aren’t required. In fact, in world meta events, particularly those in Cursed Shore, they’re a liability.

1. GW2LFG is a pretty good sample. Don’t know what you mean by that. It’s practically the only way to get a dungeon group going for almost any dungeon if you aren’t in a Guild that is constantly doing them. Map chat blocks you from even trying to get a group together most of the time.
2. People who don’t run dungeons often are the ones requesting specific classes? Yeah, okay.

I didn’t see anybody asking specifically for a “heal guardian” anywhere. More people were asking for Mesmers for Fractals. There was one listing that said “could use a Guardian”. They weren’t even demanding it.

As for your other arguments, it’s completely irrelevant. I never said “no noobs”, so we aren’t even going to discuss that.

And PvE doesn’t mean dungeons. But if you’re going to start talking about open world? Please don’t even start saying that supporting or tanking is any more beneficial to the faceroll zerg. Just don’t.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

oloap.9765

AlietteFaye.7316:

yeah, well said, why in the world would you ever want to run dungeon with thos guys anyway?
i bought a full cof zerker set for my warr just to try zerker runs, and i find myself not doing it often since most of those “only zerker no noobs” party ends up disbanded b4 slavedriver.
i mean i do some daily zerker run, for the cash ofc, but i have more fun with other classes..
i’m also fine that some dungeon has prefered classes to be used, everyone should have an alt at least, an anet should kitten allow us to get some stuff for them comfortably… but this is ot..

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

only bad players put their faith in dps meters. Its a universal constant across MMOs.

Yeah they are nice to kitten with, but serve pretty much no practical use.

Things like log files for raids are useful, but 99% of players cant interpret them properly and in anycase no raids in GW2….

So, no dps meters, they mean nothing, and bad players think they do.

oloap.9765

AlietteFaye.7316
1. GW2LFG is a pretty good sample. Don’t know what you mean by that. It’s practically the only way to get a dungeon group going for almost any dungeon if you aren’t in a Guild that is constantly doing them. Map chat blocks you from even trying to get a group together most of the time.
2. People who don’t run dungeons often are the ones requesting specific classes? Yeah, okay.

do you guys know that gw2lfg is not read only right?

guardian simply rocks imho and for the miserable dps they do, i like them specced into support/heal.

i’d really like to know if a Group of 2 zerk warrs 1 mesmr and 2 guard can do better than a if i removed a warr and used a necro for conditions, o well we’ll never know, since we have no dps meter..!!!
i mean is situational for cof p1 zerker warr +1 time warp puppet is king, because is so evident.
but for world bosses? Group events? other dungeons? imho there are situations where a staf ele can deal far more dps than a warr, but we’ll never know this way

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

I’m all for “performance” meters as long as they’re only for the person who has it.

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Variety is king. Adding a DPS meter eliminates said variety creating cookie cutter builds that you must have to be apart of a party. Even making it just a personalized DPS meter will have parties asking for a link of a screen shot to see your DPS and then deciding if you are worthy enough to join them. All in all this pretty much creates a type of Big Brother is Watching mentality. Someone earlier said DPS meters were for games that rely on the Trinity. They are correct. This game does not have that Trinity and this was something A-net continually stress as being part of their game. Adding a DPS meter would undermine this, forcing players to go a certain direction for their class, else they get booted from the party. DPS meters are for games that implement the Trinity. This game does not.
You keep saying that we already have this by parties asking to ping your armor. It’s not hard to create a look-a-like set that you wear while pinging said zerker gear that sits in your inventory collecting dust.

AlietteFaye.7316

Variety is king. Adding a DPS meter eliminates said variety creating cookie cutter builds that you must have to be apart of a party. Even making it just a personalized DPS meter will have parties asking for a link of a screen shot to see your DPS and then deciding if you are worthy enough to join them. All in all this pretty much creates a type of Big Brother is Watching mentality. Someone earlier said DPS meters were for games that rely on the Trinity. They are correct. This game does not have that Trinity and this was something they continually stress as being part of their game. Adding a DPS meter would undermine this, forcing players to go a certain direction for their class, else they get booted from the party. DPS meters are for games that implement the Trinity. This game does not.
You keep saying that we already have this by parties asking to ping your armor. It’s not hard to create a look-a-like set that you wear while pinging said zerker gear that sits in your inventory collecting dust.

That’s a pretty funny thing to do. Why would you even join that group? Just to slow them down and think it’s cool to not be what they requested? To prove that you could fool them? Just curious.

By the by, they would more than likely notice that somebody in the group is not doing the normal damage output if you weren’t using zerker gear.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Gipo.7230

Gipo.7230

I think that gw2 should implement a dps meter.

No.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Ok, now that i’ve had a chance to catch up on some of these posts.

It seems a prevailing argument is that “DPS isn’t the only thing that matters, and DPS meters will cause people to focus only on DPS.”

Firstly, OP has already suggested for combat metrics to show multiple aspects (much of which is captured in the combat log), such as healing, dmg done, dmg taken, etc.

What i would like to address is the arguement that “there is more to dungeons that DPS.”

Why cant you do both? There is no reason you cant focus mainly on keeping heals on your team, while also improving your DPS. You primary goal is healing, but that doesn’t mean you should out-right neglect other areas.

I guess a good example would be my healing druid in WoW. My main focus was healing, and i used recount to see my effective healing.

Well, eventually, people stopped dying as our healers got better at content, so you know what i did? I started doing dmg in my downtime. I had mana to spare and people were maintained at full health, so i started having fun and competing with my fellow healers for dmg. You could argue that this behavior could lead to dereliction of my original healing duties, but i was serious enough to remain steadfast in the heals, while still allowing myself to have fun DPSing.

So, yes, dps isn’t everything! But when you’ve perfected your healing rotos and maintaining defensive boons, what do you do? Do you sit on your butt waiting for your heals to go off cooldown, or could you try to optimize your skills and increase the amount of dmg you can output, after your primary goals of healing and buffing are secured.

Skill progression isn’t neglecting your utility in order to do more damage. It is maintaining and improving your utility while also seeing your damage/healing increase over time.

And if someone is neglecting their duties/utility in order to do more dmg, then the issue is with the performance of the player and it’s not fair to blame a tool for this. It’s a team game after all, and if your neglecting your team, then your not a very good team player.

Posted by: Science.6709

Science.6709

Pro: DPS meter for yourself that others can’t see
ABSOLUTE Con: DPS meter that lets you compare your DPS with others.

Great idea.

The DPS meter addon for wow made me a better player, plain and simple. Being able to parse every aspect of what I was doing, and then compare it among different builds and talk about it with fellow players, was informative and great fun.

I have to say though, if someone was doing insanely high DPS in wow, you could peek at their stats and see how they were doing it. That was cool. But I have to agree that it’s too much of a bummer when people get all crazy and grief others who might still be learning how to improve their stats.

And it’s just a game, people shouldn’t have to feel pressured to play a certain way. DPS meters would definitely do that. It’s a double edged sword.

oloap.9765

AlietteFaye.7316

PlagueParade.7942:

Variety is king. Adding a DPS meter eliminates said variety creating cookie cutter builds that you must have to be apart of a party. Even making it just a personalized DPS meter will have parties asking for a link of a screen shot to see your DPS and then deciding if you are worthy enough to join them. All in all this pretty much creates a type of Big Brother is Watching mentality. Someone earlier said DPS meters were for games that rely on the Trinity. They are correct. This game does not have that Trinity and this was something they continually stress as being part of their game. Adding a DPS meter would undermine this, forcing players to go a certain direction for their class, else they get booted from the party. DPS meters are for games that implement the Trinity. This game does not.

That’s a pretty funny thing to do. Why would you even join that group? Just to slow them down and think it’s cool to not be what they requested? To prove that you could fool them? Just curious.

By the by, they would more than likely notice that somebody in the group is not doing the normal damage output if you weren’t using zerker gear.

lol that would be lame lol, 1 gear set you actually use let’s say knight (arah? loooool) 1 cof set to ping anf “fool” ppl, and another arah set to transmute and finish this criminal mastermind plan?
omg i guess we really NEED meters then.
was that really meant to prove the opposite?
lol

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I really think they need to make sticky threads for this and the other flavors of the minute so posters stop making new threads about old subjects every few days.

DPS meter -Check
Mounts -Check
Open World PvP -Check
/Inspect -Check
Housing -Check
Guild Halls -Check

These are all subjects that keep getting reposted over and over again which just leads to more threads being merged, which means more threads being created.

Now my opinion.

DPS meter -No, not needed/worthless/Will cause issues
Mounts -No, not needed/worthless/Will cause issues
Open World PvP -No, not needed/worthless/Will cause issues
/Inspect -No, not needed/worthless/Will cause issues
Housing -Don’t care
Guild Halls -Don’t care

There, that should cover everything, at least for the next day or so until the next one of these threads shows up. ;-)

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

This is a bad idea. People would focus too much on DPS and ignore everything else.

“But the meter would show everything, not only DPS” – even assuming meters could display everything, that would be useless. Just as today people want only to see offensive stats and ignore defensive stats, people would ignore everything else and focus only on DPS. Someone showing that he healed a lot of team members but did little DPS would be kicked as quickly as someone today wearing Healing Power gear.

“But today people are already elitist with profession and stats!” – and that’s an issue ArenaNet should fix, not a problem to increase even more. The OP is also assuming that a DPS meter would make people ignore profession and gear, focusing instead on DPS; but I don’t believe in that. People will find a specific profession + armor + build combination that has higher DPS than everything else, and accept only that combination, nothing else. We would see even less diversity, not more. Even if ArenaNet were to nerf that specific combination, people would jump to the second highest DPS one, and so on; ArenaNet would never be able to reach a state of balance in which multiple professions with multiple stats and multiple builds have the exact same DPS.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Mungrul.9358

And PvE doesn’t mean dungeons. But if you’re going to start talking about open world? Please don’t even start saying that supporting or tanking is any more beneficial to the faceroll zerg. Just don’t.

Not very familiar with Grenth then, are you?

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

The ideas as the op proposes it would be fine with me. I would not want it to take priority at all though, the UI has plenty of other stuff that needs fixing first.

Oh and to all the posters syaing, “people will only focus on dps stats” etc etc. Please just speak for yourselves. Not all players are dps focused number junkies. Personally I’d be very interested to see all the stats the op proposes.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

(edited by Rhaps.8540)

Posted by: Altariel.4610

Altariel.4610

I don’t want this game to have cookie cutter builds and rotations, because skills offer so much more than mere dps.

I wholeheartedly agree. If a DPS meter was put in place the first thing that would happen is cookie cutter builds, and then selective classes for dungeons. I personally like the chance to enter a dungeon with any ol random group of people.

I hate DPS metter, i stoped with wow because it….. i want make my build and play the way I want.

Game is for fun. Dps metter make it does look like work.
“You need do more DPS, you on wrong build, omg GO GO DPS DPS DPS…. Ypou crap!!!”

If gw2 start with this stupid dps metter i out.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

This made sense in gw1 because you had heroes but the combat here is way more basic therefor not necessary.

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

@AlietteFaye and oloap

No, some ppl are more efficient (or are able to help a party more or are not yet good enough but are working towards being able to use a full zerker set) with a different stat set and maybe actually makes the party more effecient wearing their other stat gear. Or an obvious reason that you both seem to have missed completely… wait for it… waaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt for IIIIIIIIIIIIIIT…………. MF armor. And yeah, I’ve read in forums of ppl doing this exact thing.

But this doesn’t exclude the fact that GW2’s emphasis is on VARIETY, which we keep seeing with all the different stats of armor they have and will probably continue to make. The latest being Sentinal stats that emphasize vitality over power.

oloap.9765

Erasculio.2914

This is a bad idea. People would focus too much on DPS and ignore everything else.

“But the meter would show everything, not only DPS” – even assuming meters could display everything, that would be useless. Just as today people want only to see offensive stats and ignore defensive stats, people would ignore everything else and focus only on DPS. Someone showing that he healed a lot of team members but did little DPS would be kicked as quickly as someone today wearing Healing Power gear.

“But today people are already elitist with profession and stats!” – and that’s an issue ArenaNet should fix, not a problem to increase even more. The OP is also assuming that a DPS meter would make people ignore profession and gear, focusing instead on DPS; but I don’t believe in that. People will find a specific profession + armor + build combination that has higher DPS than everything else, and accept only that combination, nothing else. We would see even less diversity, not more. Even if ArenaNet were to nerf that specific combination, people would jump to the second highest DPS one, and so on; ArenaNet would never be able to reach a state of balance in which multiple professions with multiple stats and multiple builds have the exact same DPS.

what if these meters could tell you, even if aproximately, that that playr in your party provided a total DPS boost to you of x?
or that guardian blocked tha instasquish hit x time for y amount of damange?
or that thoughnes specced player dragged aggro on himself, instead of youfor z seconds?
or.. say any!
maybe then ppl will stop saying “woa just hitted for 30k 100blades! i’m king an you all sucks!”
Can’t say for sure but i guess 100b can be outdpsd too, but every time someone says that cannot demnstrate that, because we have no meters!!

about making it visible only to players, well could be a solution, but i really want to avoid the need to post tons of screens on extrnal website,for cof p1 speedruns, for the rest of stuff there is really no issue, and could help those teams who regularly plays together to improve, as well as “noobs” to learn game mechanics.

ps
can you imagine a report with combos too? i’d be loving it

AlietteFaye.7316

Not very familiar with Grenth then, are you?

First of all, hardly anybody does the Temple events. The rewards are so inadequate and generic that most feel it’s a pretty big waste of time. Secondly, you probably are referring to Grenth now. Back when CS was actually populated and had people running around it, it was most definitely faceroll and it didn’t matter what you did, because DPSing down any and all events was the fastest.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Devils.3679

Devils.3679

I didn’t read any of the Kitten post before me, But i do wish we has a PERSONAL dps meter. When i make a build i want to know how well it performs on REAL numbers, Damage, Healing and damage mitigation(would be nice) no one else needs to see what you are doing, But this will really help people learn the game and how stats work.