Why won't you let us change races with gems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MAD CAT.9321

MAD CAT.9321

You are losing alot of money with gem purchases this way! TONS of people would like this feature and the only reason you won’t add it is because “personal story”. Well who gives a poop about personal story, I sure don’t! I finished mine already and I want to change from HUMAN to ASURA without re-rolling.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Way too many problems with the Personal Story line. I think it’s the first 20 quests are race related. Somehow changing all that with a race change ticket would be a ton of work.

I’m not apologizing for Anet here, just being realistic.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

MAD CAT.9321

Explain why it doesn’t make sense.

MAD CAT.9321

Oh well, it’s their loss that they are losing money on gem purchases for a race change just because of a useless personal story.

MAD CAT.9321

Just have us start personal story all over again, problem solved.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Just lvl an alt, problem solved.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Yes how does this makes sense.You change your race from Char to Human and then you are human with finished Char personal story and Char achievements.Makes sense?

Posted by: Kingteranas.1376

Kingteranas.1376

Just reset all your dungeon completions.. If your personal story never happened then you never defeated Zhaitan in Arah – why not just take away dungeon master while you’re at it. You’re funny

Kingteranas – 80 Guardian
Queen Of Macabre – 80 Thief
Dragonbrand [Ankh]

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Way too many problems with the Personal Story line. I think it’s the first 20 quests are race related. Somehow changing all that with a race change ticket would be a ton of work.

Actually, no, not really.

They could create a standard “default” completed personal storyline for each race. And when you accept race change for your 1000 gems, you accept the standard default settings (with zero rewards) for the race chosen. Period, Done.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

No idea why people get hung up on the personal story so much:

Race change comes with wipe of PS progress. You start the PS over after your change.

Problem solved.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Well who gives a poop about personal story, I sure don’t!

You seem to be labouring under the false impression that you speak for the entire GW2 playerbase. Just roll a new character already.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Who cares about the personal story?

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

A lot of people do.

But this should in NO way whatsoever prohibit those who do not, to have a race change option.

The bottom line is, that it’s really absolutely none of anyones business how you spend your money, or whether you choose to have a race or gender change on your toon. Just as long as the options offered by Anet do not offer any statistical advantage in combat, no one should really be bothered by this option.

But you always have to account for the envy of those that can’t afford it, and the anger of those that take cartoon video games too seriously – so there will be backlash. And this is why whenever people ask for Anet to have an “option” that can be paid for, even if it has 100% totally no effect whatsoever on their own gameplay, you will still get the finger-wagging crowd yelling NO and calling you “lazy”. You just have to ignore them.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Who cares about race change?

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Who cares about race change?

People who try to do jumping puzzles with Norns.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Race change could be a gem store boost and put new life into the game for those who have an existing character and would like to have it feel differently.

However, overall, I suspect it’s better financially for them to have folks reroll.

Suggestion I made over a year ago was if you were going to do race change, it would need to occur AFTER claw island (Race and Order personal stories complete by that point.) Does not affect achieve points.

Not that I’m advocating race change. I have used it in other games. Leveling in this game is easy, but I understand why someone would want to have it, especially with a fully ascended geared character.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Herschie.6380

Herschie.6380

Changing your race would change any race-related skills that you have. Also, it would change and affect any cultural armor you have. You would have armor bound to a character and that character isn’t even the appropriate race.

Not to mention the personal story is an integral part of the game. GW2 is an MMORPG. How many RPG’s don’t have a campaign (which is what the personal story is).

I agree with the other posters who say if you want a “generic” personal story, you aren’t a fan of the game. You can make a new character and level them with crafting.

Don’t be lazy. If you want another character if another race make one. If your character slots are full, buy another. Anet still gets your money that way.

Midian Wright [Guardian]
[Maki]
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

No joke; like every 2-3 weeks someone makes a thread about this, and every time people explain why it’s neither possible, nor needed. I think there was even a dev-statement regarding this topic somewhere. Yet, every few weeks another all-knowing person goes all arrogant “tssss, it’s their own fault if they don’t want to make more money!” and “nobody cares for personal story anyway!” and last but not least “TONS of people would like this feature!”. Yeah, right. And how do you know those things?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

messing with personal story ? easy, just reset the story. no body care about story, really…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

I would also like to see this implemented.

ANET PLZ ADD THIS AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

Changing your race would change any race-related skills that you have. Also, it would change and affect any cultural armor you have. You would have armor bound to a character and that character isn’t even the appropriate race.

Not to mention the personal story is an integral part of the game. GW2 is an MMORPG. How many RPG’s don’t have a campaign (which is what the personal story is).

I agree with the other posters who say if you want a “generic” personal story, you aren’t a fan of the game. You can make a new character and level them with crafting.

Don’t be lazy. If you want another character if another race make one. If your character slots are full, buy another. Anet still gets your money that way.

This might come as a surprise to you, but there are a lot of us who think the Personal Story in this game is garbage. We don’t like to be Trahearne’s [female dog] and follow him around on bland, generic missions.

I would gladly have my Personal Story be reset after a race change. Just let me keep all my gear, skills and other stats.

For those with T3 Cultural Armor, just replace the set with the T3 of whatever new race they pick. If the set’s been transmute for different stats, just keep the same stats, but change the skin only. If this is too difficult, I’m sure people won’t mind a simple refund in gold for the T3 set. They only just lose out on six Transmutation crystals and maybe a set of CoF armor.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

For those with T3 Cultural Armor, just replace the set with the T3 of whatever new race they pick. If the set’s been transmute for different stats, just keep the same stats, but change the skin only. If this is too difficult, I’m sure people won’t mind a simple refund in gold for the T3 set. They only just lose out on six Transmutation crystals and maybe a set of CoF armor.

Just implementing this change would cost way more resources for Anet than you would pay for the race change.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: ladybutter.5280

ladybutter.5280

Race change will touch a lot of stuff, I’ll just enumerate what I have in mind.

Personal Story & their respective achievements:

- Anet could simply reset all achievements related to the personal story but that would include Arah story. I doubt everyone will be happy resetting everything.

- Resetting isn’t a simple matter too, they have to deduct the # of AP etc. While it seems so simple, I really doubt it is.

- Changing race will leave you to start everything all over again – including the choices you make in the character creation.

- That’s not all, what about the rewards? I don’t pay attention much to the PS rewards but I think it varies for every race and every path? You already got those rewards, so they have to program it that you won’t receive it again.

T3 armors and their respective AP – AP deductions, etc. same as above.

That’s a lot of variables to take into consideration. Now, the question is, HOW MUCH would you pay for a race change ticket to make it worth it for Anet?

Posted by: Morte de Angelis.7986

Morte de Angelis.7986

Easy way to do it.

Race Change equal anything related to that char wiped.
Achievements stay that same because you still ACHIEVED them.
Anything in the wallet stays because its account bound.
Anything AND I MEAN ANYTHING on the character at the time of race change = gone.

You got that T3 Cultural and want a Race Change? Tough your gona lose it.
You got full ascended? Put it in the back it’ll be safe there.

You don’t need to give these players all these refunds for this and that and reductions here and there. Just make it the same as a Total Makeover kit but with a race change option with everything in the Inventory wiped. Clean. Completely. Erased. After the race change is complete the player will receive the starter 20 slot bag soul bound to that character. The personal story will give you random choices based on the background you have provided (if you really want to go that far). Or alternatively just not include it at all. The chances are if they want a race change they don’t care much about the story missions to begin with and just make their “personal story” start from the mission they are on.

There are some that care about story but I personally don’t. If you want to RP then RP and don’t use the kit and just re-roll if you want to change. For those that don’t want to RP I don’t see why they should be limited just because other people want to RP.

Why does it make such a big difference to you? I can see why people want it. My GF can be indecisive sometimes about what race she wants to play and has re-rolled many times just to change the race. Prolly would of saved a lot of time if she could of just changed the race.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

They can’t even make it possible to sort by armor type in the trading post and you expect them to do something like this?

Edit
Sorry, this wasn’t a fair post. I don’t know the circumstances behind not allowing race changes or why we can’t filter the tp.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

At this point, a bit too much work for the possible investment I’d imagine. Definitely something I’d implemented down the road. If I can change my mind about my gender, why not go the whole way and change my race?

The only prerequisite that’d have to exist is having the personal story quests past level 30, because at that point our race and character choices don’t really matter.

Easy way to do it.

Anything AND I MEAN ANYTHING on the character at the time of race change = gone.

Might as well craft-level…Honestly, probably another reason they’re less hasty to do this.

(edited by Smith.1826)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Easy way to do it.
/snipped for brevity

Oh… you beautiful, wonderful person.

Not because it’s a solution that the masses would find palpable, mind… but because the sheer amount of flaming venom and bitter tears on these forums from players who weren’t paying attention to those stipulations would be EPIC.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Resetting the personal story might be a problem for some, some may view it as lack of effort from the development team that all of their personal story was reset. Believe me, people will complain just about anything.

When the account wallet came out, people complained that they use their bank as a form of money management to prevent them from spending to much, and since the account wallet all funds including in bank were merged and it ruined their gameplay. I am being serious on this, people will complain.

There’s a little bit more work that needs to be done before providing race changes, such as cultural armor.

Unfortunately there’s nothing you can do in this situation but wait, or you can delete your main and re-roll another race. I used to be a born, but now I am a sylvari.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

They have already stated that they don’t have the systems in place that would be needed to facilitate a race change. The change of character personality and personal story steps is far too complex.

If you rolled the wrong race then that’s kind of your own problem. Either make a new character and transfer all your things – level 80 doesn’t take that long. Or just live with the decision you made.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

I don’t think we will get a race change, not now that we have achievement point rewards.

A completed Personal Story implies that you have completed a ton of race specific achievements and the Arah dungeon achievement. The problem here is that if you reset all of that, you would end up with a lot of people losing their Dungeon Master titles. That is a big, big issue. However, even that is not an irreversible thing.

What you cannot fix is the achievement point reward chests, as those contain consumables. Let’s say the race change removes all associated achievements. Well, you will also lose the points. The result? Well, some people will have their points go from above a certain cap to below it. The problem? The contents of the chests are gone, used up. You cannot take those away.

So to implement a race change, you would need to implement the following:

• Making achievement points removable (this functionality most likely does not exist currently)
  • Making achievements removable (again, most likely does not exist)
  • Making achievement chests one-time only
    • Making a record of the highest amount of achievement points an account as achieved
  • Doing something useful about Cultural armor. If you implement the removal of all associated achievements, you could naturally have the cultural armor swapped to the new race and reset the achievements. However, not all people will want the cultural armor of the new race, so that’s an issue. Also, there will be people who want to use cultural armor of other races, as was shown by the Flamekissed armor set.

That is a ton of extra work to add in a single feature to the game. And as you can see, a lot of the work would result in some very, very serious issues if anything does not work just as intended. That is a ton of work and a ton of risk for a single feature.

ladybutter.5280

Easy way to do it.

You got that T3 Cultural and want a Race Change? Tough your gona lose it.
You got full ascended? Put it in the back it’ll be safe there.

You don’t need to give these players all these refunds for this and that and reductions here and there. Just make it the same as a Total Makeover kit but with a race change option with everything in the Inventory wiped. Clean. Completely. Erased. After the race change is complete the player will receive the starter 20 slot bag soul bound to that character. The personal story will give you random choices based on the background you have provided (if you really want to go that far). Or alternatively just not include it at all. The chances are if they want a race change they don’t care much about the story missions to begin with and just make their “personal story” start from the mission they are on.

Sigh. I don’t have any idea where the easy part came from.

Achievements cannot stay the same because it’s borderline p2w. You can change race just to get AP points – whether or not it’s a significant amount. You see the topic in the GD forum complaining about a mining pick that gives you a mere 20% chance for sprockets that you won’t use? Were you there during the T3 flamekissed light armor fiasco? A lot of people don’t like something that is p2w in GW2. Period.

As for the wipe thing, people generally don’t like wipes. If you’ve been playing gw2 for quite awhile, you’ll know that gem store buyers are really really vocal. Wiping for a race change? Anet will just anger the player base for releasing such a ridiculous service. People will just endlessly demand for their items to remain, etc. How about the PR cost for that?

What you cannot fix is the achievement point reward chests, as those contain consumables. Let’s say the race change removes all associated achievements. Well, you will also lose the points. The result? Well, some people will have their points go from above a certain cap to below it. The problem? The contents of the chests are gone, used up. You cannot take those away.

This too. ^

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

facepalm

double facepalm

I’m going to keep this short as I have said it many times before: There are no issues with race changing. No issues with the personal story, no issues with cultural gear, no issues whatsoever.

Race change would only be allowed to characters with the following restrictions:
- They are 80.
- They have completed the personal story. Simplest solution to the story info screen is that race changing removes the race specific arcs.
- Any race specific gear is stripped from your character and account bound/soulbound on use (still race specific). You made a choice to race change, you take the loss.

There you go. Race change. Anet are just being lazy and people in this thread are unimaginative. Issues with the story, lol… How many that want to race change have even visited the story page in the last year?

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Why don’t you level up a new character?
More pertinently why should Anet waste resources to facilitate a system that is redundant?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

facepalm

double facepalm

I’m going to keep this short as I have said it many times before: There are no issues with race changing. No issues with the personal story, no issues with cultural gear, no issues whatsoever.

Race change would only be allowed to characters with the following restrictions:
- They are 80.
- They have completed the personal story. Simplest solution to the story info screen is that race changing removes the race specific arcs.
- Any race specific gear is stripped from your character and account bound/soulbound on use (still race specific). You made a choice to race change, you take the loss.

There you go. Race change. Anet are just being lazy and people in this thread are unimaginative. Issues with the story, lol… How many that want to race change have even visited the story page in the last year?

Every MMO until GW2 has race change as an option.GW2 is the only MMO that doesn’t have it.Anet are just slacking.If they wanted they could do it…

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

ladybutter.5280

Sigh.

Since everyone’s just going on and on about wiping, resetting, back to 0, you lose all your items, you’ll still have your AP, why don’t we just all ask for a level 80 tome from the gem store? That’s basically it anyways.

moiraine.2753

Sigh.

Since everyone’s just going on and on about wiping, resetting, back to 0, you lose all your items, you’ll still have your AP, why don’t we just all ask for a level 80 tome from the gem store? That’s basically it anyways.

I won’t mind at all Blizzard are adding such boost in WoW.
In GW2 we already have boost to lvl20 and also books from PvP.So nothing new will come.

(edited by moiraine.2753)

ladybutter.5280

Sigh.

I won’t mind at all Blizzard are adding such boost in WoW.
In GW2 we already have boost to lvl20 and also books from pvp already.

I actually wouldn’t mind as well—since levelling an alt to 80 is boring for me specially if it’s race I’ve played before. However, I don’t think it’ll be wise to add it to the gemstore. It’s clearly p2w, I somehow see that as an AP chest reward instead. Maybe at 15k+?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

For those not comprehending race change in the traditional sense, there is another way too:

Character item transfer

Just one simple restriction:
- Both characters are the same class

You select Character A (original) and Character B (your “race change” character). Everything on Character B is deleted – bags, items, trinkets, the works. Every item on Character A is transfered to Character B as an exact duplicate (complete with souldbound), exception being race specific gear which is left in the inventory, accountbound/soulbound on use. Character A is deleted after the transaction and Character B get renamed to what Character A had.

Basicly, you’re transmuting your character.

And there you have it. Another incredibly simple solution to changing your race. It doesnt even affect the story – Character B has his own story which may or may not be completed.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

moiraine.2753

For those not comprehending race change in the traditional sense, there is another way too:

Character item transfer

Just one simple restriction:
- Both characters are the same class

You select Character A (original) and Character B (your “race change” character). Everything on Character B is deleted – bags, items, trinkets, the works. Every item on Character A is transfered to Character B as an exact duplicate (complete with souldbound), exception being race specific gear which is left in the inventory, accountbound/soulbound on use. Character A is deleted after the transaction and Character B get renamed to what Character A had.

Basicly, you’re transmuting your character.

And there you have it. Another incredibly simple solution to changing your race. It doesnt even affect the story – Character B has his own story which may or may not be completed.

Exactly this.You said it perfect Dawdler

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

Well who gives a poop about personal story, I sure don’t!

You seem to be labouring under the false impression that you speak for the entire GW2 playerbase. Just roll a new character already.

you seems to be of the same false impression.

I cannot comprehend how ppl who think this is lore breaking get their lil heads around the already existing sex change and name change, thats right all you little defenders of race change breaking lore, put this in you pipes and smoke it till your heads explode, because in your universe of perfect lore, sex change and name change should already be earth shattering enough for you not to care, as for all you other kittens who think its equivalent to an insta80 item think again, some ppl like myself have 500 crafting on a char, i cant just re-roll. the funny part is Anets never confirmed your reasons (PS) which you site with such surety as to why race change cant be done, Anets already shown with the cash shop that wheres there a way to make money they will go there, for all we know this could already be in development, probably coming after end of LW.

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Yea i want race changers too, Delete my personal story i couldn’t give a rats behind about it.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

A service to transfer my 100% world completion to one of my other characters would do the same. I only care for world completion, otherwise re-rolling an alt is easy.
But yeah, I don’t think people who wants to change their character’s race care about their personal stories. They can add a gemstore race change service with a personal story cleaning procedure. Both arenanet and players would be happy.

(edited by Umut.5471)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

facepalm

double facepalm

- They are 80.

NPC dialogue relies on knowing what options you have selected in your personal story.

Regardless of whether you are level 80, regardless of whether you have finished the game – there are still parts of the game that COULD NOT HANDLE A RACE CHANGE.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Just lvl an alt, problem solved.

. . . And spend your Gem-Money on Crafting your way up to 80.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The idea seems to be that it is easier to get a company to completely redesign their game than to level another character to 80 in the species you prefer.

ladybutter.5280

What I’ve read so far:

Option 1: Changing race resets personal story but will retain the AP you acquired from it since technically, you did achieve it.

Problem: P2W. Refer to Watchwork mining pick and T3 Flamekissed Light Armor issues.

Option 1.1: Reset PS, revert all APs acquired.

Problem: AP chests. If the deductions of all APs made your AP fall short of the chest cap—sure, Anet could just program it so you won’t receive the AP chest again, but then again, is it that easy? Refer to Season 1 WvW rewards.

Option 2: Wipe story, replace it with a random/set choices.

Problem: Not everyone who wants a race change don’t care for the PS. Some will want to race change because they DO care for their characters. They might be annoyed by the race and their story and just wants to change it.

Problem 2: The last quest of the PS is the deciding factor which order you’re joining. Now, order choice is also reflected in your account — you gain badges in the login screen. I’m not sure if there are APs involved, but I think there are so it’s back again to the AP thing.

Option 3. Wipe everything, including soulbound items.

Problem: Ohhh I wonder how many people will be engraged.. saying stuff like.. “I paid for race change with my gems! I paid for my cultural armors! I’m entitled to have it because I paid for it!” And so on.. and on and on…

Other problems:
Programming cost – the PS is all about variables, and more importantly, these variables are tied to rewards, if there are no rewards, maybe it’s still possible to have a race change. But with rewards involved, there’s a high risk of upsetting the player base if the programming isn’t carefully done. Careful, meticulous programming = time = cost. How much would the players willing to pay to compensate? Also, for how long until they break even?

Economic cost – Character slots. Surely, it could have an impact?

PR cost – Damage control for whatever goes wrong.

Oh well, since a lot of people says everything is simple maybe it is and I’m just not seeing it.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

They should totally add a race change options in the gem shop.

it just has to reset a few things to defaults: cancel your storyline progress, reset your level to 1, replace your gear with the starting set and place you back into your new race’s tutorial mission.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They should totally add a race change options in the gem shop.

it just has to reset a few things to defaults: cancel your storyline progress, reset your level to 1, replace your gear with the starting set and place you back into your new race’s tutorial mission.

It already exist, it’s called buying a new slot expansion.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

woooooooooooooooosh

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

There is no such thing as personal story, there is only Trahearne story and i couldn’t possibly care less what happens to it.

(edited by Lucyfer.9517)