Why you play PVE?

Why you play PVE?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It’s only “4fun”, but do the same things all the time isn’t that fun…

I would say the same about sPvP in particular. Same boring smallscale battles on the same boring pointless maps, all day long. With the same vile and horrible few people cycling the matches.

There’s no wonder the mode is so abandoned, if nothing else the sameyness and the community will bring you down.

But back to the point:
I play MMOs as essentially a giant and very complex minigame in a chatroom. MMORPGs are about socializing for me, for other things I have better, more specialized, video games.
So for me, PvE is kinda awesome because it’s more relaxed. More time to chat in between abilities. WvW is a rush, it’s often difficult to chat, but there is a long downtime between fights in which to communicate. sPvP is, for reasons above + the constant fighting, pointless in this regard.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

what is the fun in PvP?
you kill players but why, did he kill your mom or something?
or you get killed, why do they want to ruin the fun?

i see PvE as the only RPG part of the game, it has a story with a world to explore in.
i can argue the bad sides on how Anet did it but that’s beside the point, it’s more about what there is to do VS what use there is to play that mode.

for how i see it.
PvP = pointlessly killing other players
WvW = open world TDM
PvE = explore a world full of story and lore.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I love WvW but hate PvP. PvP is so boring. The one with the fastest computer and best armor wins. The battle is decided before it’s begun. And no, not in my favor. Unless we’re in that arena where you step on the air jets. Seems like no one ever figures out how to use those but me. But my back hurts from trying to hard or I give up and let everyone kill me in PvP because I’m so bored. Now WvW is different! That requires tactical effort and terrain knowledge. I just wish no one could see the red name tags over our heads.

World PvE and Silver Wastes is okay only because the world is big. I’m getting tired of mob guarded nodes tho. I mean really, does a mosquito have to do as much damage to me as a bear? And what dumbnut keeps breeding centaurs? My god they need to introduce condoms to those things!

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I play PvE because it is fun for me. I like playing with other players. I don’t like playing against them. PvP or WvW.

You may say that people could just use money to buy the Legendary. But what is fun in that? I have been trying to get my Legendary since GW2 started. Until now still trying without buying anything from the Trading Post.

That aside though, it is fun to play PvE. Unlike WoW’s PvE, GW2’s PvE is really fun. At least it is fun to me.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: aspirine.5839

aspirine.5839

To level chars. And also for some gold, because WvW drops are terrible beyond measure.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

to get the best out off me and pvp is just meh killing players over and over again
gets for me very boring

i wanna explore get better and of course the story i really cant w8 for HOT

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Just to know…
Why you guys play PVE?

There is no point for me…
You play to farm legendaries, but you can go there and buy a legendary with real money and no effort…

WvW, its a competitive in theory, so, win it’s the point!
PVP, same thing!

Why are we playing video games? What is the point?

My wife used to ask me why boys love to play games…. wasting time, not productive, abandon studies etc.

To have fun, this is my answer and play games as usual.

There are actually no different which mode we enjoy, FUN is what matters.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So I don’t run into players who need their ego stroked by “schooling” players in PvP. PvP/WvW is fun when neither group takes it overly seriously but there are enough players out there who take it way, way too seriously.

That’s not an issue in PvE. In PvE we are just rowdy adventurers who fight the good fight, saving NPCs for a thanks and maybe some loot.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer to the opening topic/post :

- Exploring the world/map/story. Not so much anymore, after having world completion 5 times and the story even more so, but it’s still somewhat there.

- Creating characters with design/aesthetics that I like.

- Acquiring skins I like, if they’re reasonable to get.

- Socializing with others that share these interests in the story/world.

- Gathering/crafting.

To me, PvP is something I only do for reward tracks and dailies. WvW I only did for map completion and never looked back. The only other useful thing is buying cheaper ascended trinkets if one has enough spare badges. In fact, I’ve never gone back since they removed WvW from map completion, so…meh.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

I played pve to farm gold for Sunrise. I find gathering relaxing, SW was boring, Tequatl was kinda fun the first times, dungeons meh. I was doing a bit of champ train in Cursed Shore mostly because I love the art map. Overall, it was a mindless farm.
Now I’m back to wvw and I don’t regret it. I feel like the entiere combat system as been made for roaming and group pvp ( not zerging, ewww). I’ve never found the same feeling in pve, even in dungeons where you just need to stack to win.

Otherwise, I still enjoy gathering in Orr. Or afk in LA. I’ll probably do more pve if I want a new legendary, unless Anet changes the rewards in wvw.

VoxL, NSPPT

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

Why I play PvE? Where do I even begin…

1. The stories are pretty darn good for a game like this, and especially with full voice-over.

2. There are tons of small, interesting things to discover. Even just two NPCs talking to each other about random stuff makes the world feel alive.

3. Some areas and events (heart, hero points, whatever) can be quite challenging. More so than in other MMORPGs, as I can’t stand still and hammer away on a single button. In this game, player-skill is vital even for PvE.

4. I love crafting my own gear (so much that all my eight characters craft their own things). It’s not about making money, making the best gear or anything, but feeling like I’ve earned the gear I’m using. Buying it is just… well, look at Diablo 3. Adding those f’ing auction houses was such a terrible idea that they had to remove them in the expansion. Loot shoiuld be earned, not bought. Once you buy your gear, the gear becomes meaningless.

5. It’s very relaxing to play. I always put on Sootify when I play, so I can just wander off and listen to music.

6. The community is usually quite nice in this game. Not quite Lord of the Rings Online-good (where I actually had a person on my friendslist. Woohoo!), but pretty good. Quite interesting, sa in GW1, it took me literally five minutes to have the first person on my ignore-list.

7. I like the dynamic events. Many games have tried and failed with public quests, but GW2 really pulled them off and made them both fun and useful. Kudos!

I’m sure I can come up with tons more, but you get the idea.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Why play any RPG? Just download a finished save and you have all the goodies.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

To pay for WvW and other expenses….

To get some worthwhile objects not found in pvp/wvw

and to play dungeons.

…..

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

To watch stuff blow up and die, and sometimes burn to death sometimes with friends with the difficulty of the dramatic death adding to the satisfaction.

Actually, that’s pretty much the point of Gw2 to me. I don’t need anything else. Nor do I like to draw such arbitrary lines between players.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Phantom Master.9582

Phantom Master.9582

I would actually enjoy PvE if the stacking and running full zerker wasn’t the norm, it disconnects me and I dislike that.

When will a MMO game actually make the mobs not mindlessly run up to you melee in range when your out of line of sight, or when will the mobs stop stacking in your face when it causes them all to die quicker?

If the AI was a bit smarter, I would really enjoy PvE, but instead I’m doing just fine in my TPvP/WvW roaming.

R80 Mesmer- Inquisitor Amena
Eternity~!

(edited by Phantom Master.9582)

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

PvE is most similar to other games I like. I get to play with my friends and family that are far more casual than I am (They think I am hardcore. >_<).
I am also big into little details and have pages and pages of detailed (unnecessary) character details for roleplay as well as just notes about things I learn as a player.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

… I bet more people play solitaire than play Guild Wars 2, and that’s not really all that competitive. …

A few years ago, I was in between houses, and didn’t have internet. So my husband and I went through a time where we played competitive solitaire against each other instead of video games.

I think everybody “relaxes” differently. I think that’s why games like to appeal to different play styles. I, personally, like the choice. Because then I can play however I want, no matter what I’m in the mood for.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

I PvE because the PvP “community” in this game in WvW has been nothing but horrible every time I step into the EBG, EotM. sPvP is ridiculously gimmicked. It might have changed in the last month or two, but I highly doubt it. With the patch leaving damage screwy, I’m not about to step in.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Unfortunately, we can’t. Anet has TEMPORARILY turned WvW into PvE for the week, and it sadly looks like they plan on making WvW permanent PvE Ktrain with the new maps in the expansion.

Here’s a question: How would PvE players feel if PvE land suddenly became PvP-able? If people could just run around and kill you while you’re simply trying to do whatever makes you happy. Now realize that that is exactly how every single WvW player feels right now.

FTFY

You can speak for “every single wvw player”? I doubt it. I know fellow guildies that are having fun with the event. You represent a percentage of unhappy wvw’ers. Not “every single one”.

have these ‘fellow guildies’ set foot in wvw recently before the event? i’m seeing guilds i’ve never seen before, probably some that pvers would be very familiar with. I saw a Guild of Madness(gom based pve guild) on Maguuma borderlands.

The person’s post that you replied to, is sadly correct. WvW this week has brought toxic players. Toxic in the sense that these players will not be here again until it’s k-train week on every borderland. Meanwhile, the rest of the game is unscathed.
On top of that, there’s been word of a golem exploit for the better part of a week that’s sort of been..allowed. How would you feel if the ever difficult stackbosses you run across in dungeons suddenly did 2x more damage?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

also because dealing with tough customers IRL is already PvP enough for me….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I love roaming the open world – its quite scenic, events pop up – it’s fun to me. I have my gear all done, so I simply enjoy ‘smelling the roses’ as it were.

I do my fractals, Dungeons, WvWvW too, but roaming the open world is where I find my greatest enjoyment.

Thankfully my guild recently is full of new and returning players, who I like being a guide to for map completion, jump puzzles etc.

Competition isn’t the be-all-end-all for me. I know it is for others. The PVE world is what you make of it.

:)

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Radnar.9814

Radnar.9814

The most fun i have in this game is starting up a new character, and getting 100% map completion, especially if ive been away from the game so it looks new and fresh to me, i love seeing all the little corners in every map, ive completed every jumping puzzle now, and when i want a break from that, i chill out with guildes doing a dungeon. In contrast wvw to me is okay, i find it pretty fun, but i cant even stand pvp through a mixture of finding it boring and not being a high enough skill level.

Mostly i play this game like skyrim, doing everything then doing it all with a different character too.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

Honestly? Because PVP and WvW in this game are (more) boring.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Kakapo.5230

Kakapo.5230

I think collecting skins, achievements and gold is fun, and the game world is beautiful and enjoyable to explore.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I was hoping this post would give me a reason to log in to the game

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

Are you serious?

Because PvE is 98% of the game, because it is fun as kitten to explore the massive world that we have in this game, because there are a lot of fun quests to do, there are a lot of secrets to find in the game (in the PvE map).

You play this game for the joke that is the PvP? lol

WvW is fun, but after i heard about cheaters flying and killing lords in seconds, i don’t care anymore.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Because it’s the game.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Just to know…
Why you guys play PVE?

You play to farm legendaries, but you can go there and buy a legendary with real money and no effort…

PVP, same thing!

Just to know…..
Why you OP play PVP

There is no point for me….
You play to farm nothing worth while, but you can also just buy better stuff with real money and no effort….
Also, there are ONLY 8 different types of mobs and ONLY several tiny maps. PVP have no variety of content.

PVE, its a competitive in theory, player vs environment, so, win it’s the point!
Oh wait, PVP and WvW, is same thing?????!
I confused.

(edited by Silvatar.5379)

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

•WvW is boring currently, nothing but gang fest zeros and conditions teefs everywhere
•PvP: Interrupt mesmers and broken rampage warrior tryhards. #nope

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Xdmatt.3958

Xdmatt.3958

I used to play PvE, “used to” being the operative term.

I used to play PvE because exploration was fun, environments were pretty, and I had a blast watching my character grow and evolve. I had fun tweaking and tuning my build and seeing the results.

Then ANET simplified traits. Sure, respeccing became faster, but some magic was lost.

Then ANET simplified traits AGAIN and decided that I should be locked out of one trait line at all times. And more magic was lost.

Then ANET decided that as soon as I step a foot outside of a level 80 zone, my stats should immediately become inferior to those of lowbies in green gear. For some reason, now I have to use all of my abilities and fight for my life when I run into the same bandits I spanked in Queensdale when I was level 5. Oh wait – we do know the reason; it is because ANET mistook a handful of bored, whiney forum twits for vox populi somehow, and went “Yes Sir Colonel Nerfherder Sir! It shall be done as you desire!”

Then ANET asked for a full game’s price for an expansion that consists of one zone. I just laughed.

So now I just sit in LA, look at the crabby/lobstery buildings and collect my daily rewards, because frankly it is more satisfying than “awesome adrenaline-pumping action” of fighting a level 20 mob in the same fashion as I did when I was a level 20 in level 20 greens. I’m waiting to collect enough tomes to instalevel 2 characters, after that GW2 goes to Uninstall City. No, you can’t have my stuff. Maybe something will change someday.

Does that count as playing PvE?

How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Just to know…
Why you guys play PVE?

PVP, same thing!

I play instruments in PVE and go yell at people doing events.

Its pretty fun.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

PvE gives me a greater variety of things to do — exploration, achievements, dungeons, story, collections, gathering, and crafting. PvP and WvW feel like the same thing to me — much like PvE would if all I could do was run the same dungeon over and over again.

Also, “easy” and “challenging” are a matter of perspective and personal preference. For me, PvE is more “challenging” than PvP because PvE requires planning to do things like craft Mawdrey. Mind you, the competition of sPvP and WvW encourages people to push their reflexes to the limit to get every advantage they can, which is why it is more challenging to them. Also, averaged among all players, the win percentage is only roughly 50% for sPvP and 33% for WvW, but much higher for PvE, which is what makes sPvP and WvW more “challenging” than PvE to many players — the possibility of losing is very real. But, for me, “challenge” means planning, not reflexes or win percentage.

Why you play PVE?

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

why i play pve?

Pvp is toxic and boring, just cyrcle standing, running to cyrcles, pushing people off cyrcles to stand on their cyrcles while i get told how many people did (cencored) stuff with my mom and what a waste of life i am… and meta builds only of course. Also the balance of that mode hangs like a dark shadow over all other modes and may or may not once again destroy my builds in the near future.

Wvw got its charm and if i go wvw i usually go for a week and get really invested in it. Right now not so much but in HoT i might actually switch the server to really get into it with the new maps…cause man they do look awesome and fun.

I play pve mostly just cause the mood there is more friendly and i can do many things. Maybe i feel like dungeon running, maybe i want to do a 50 fractal or maybe i just about and farm nodes for mats. Yeh sure.. right now its not much to do but whatever.. gotta farm anyways for my juggernaut so might aswell do it relaxed.