Will Guild Wars 2 get controller support?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fatherstears.6329

Fatherstears.6329

I have a Ps4 and Xbox one controller would be fantastic to play on the tv using a controller!
Thanks

Posted by: Sarge shot Grif.6450

Sarge shot Grif.6450

I highly doubt it, these controls wouldn’t translate well to a controller.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

I don’t use it myself, but if you search (use google, forum search has been broken forever) others have.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Xbox-360-controller-and-Guild-Wars-2-merged/first

Posted by: JackOfAllGames.2409

JackOfAllGames.2409

I was just wondering about this earlier. Got a Steam Link and it works pretty well. It’d be nice to play GW2 in front of the TV without a mouse and keyboard…though that probably isn’t realistic.

For now, I’m just trying to find a good setup for using a G13 keypad and MMO-style mouse without a desk.

Posted by: Wyldchild.8706

Wyldchild.8706

doubtful but I have been using reWASD for the past few days all it does is allows you to place the keyboard keys to whatever button you want to use on your controller. Only works for xbox controllers BUT this one can use up to the xbox Elite controller (which has those paddles). When you finish your setup just hit the “save and apply” button (have to do this everytime I log into guild wars 2 but it’s fine) and it’s free. https://www.rewasd.com

Posted by: ZombiiDuud.1428

ZombiiDuud.1428

I have almost 1000 hours logged with a controller, currently using Xpadder in compatibility mode for XP SP3 on an xbox one controller. PM me and I can get you some screenshots of my setup ^.^

EDIT: Also, the only thing I ever need my mouse for is UI elements, not because I cant map it, I just choose to use the mouse for UI elements.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

You can if you fiddle around with Xpadder / joy to key etc. There’s a guy on youtube that post videos of him playing with a steam controller.
https://youtu.be/qppiFVJE9JY

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It has good controller support tbh.

I recommend a G502 and a DasKeyboard for controlling the character. Really good controllers.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I played GW2 on my Xbox controller since beta and I still do using a software called Xpadder. It is really useful and fun.

My layouts are the following:

Left stick = QWES
Left stick Click = Auto-Run
Right stick = Camera

(Combat Mode)
Clock wise

A = Skill 1
X = Skill 2
Y = Skill 3
B = Skill 4
RT = Skill 5

RB = Dodge

LB + A = Skill 6
LB + X = Skill 7
LB + Y = Skill 8
LB + B = Skill 9
LB + RT = Skill 0

Left-Dpad = F1
Up- Dpad = F2
Right- Dpad = F3
Down- Dpad = F4

LB + Down-Dpad = F5
LB + Left- Dpad = Story ability

LB + X = Tab Target
LB + Y = Swap Weapons

(Adventure Mode)
Hit the Start Button to switch layouts

A = Jump
X = Interact
Y = World Map
B = Cancel

Select button = Mount/dismount

(Menu Mode)
Click right stick to switch layouts

Left-Dpad = Opens Guild Menu & Friends List
Right- Dpad = Opens Hero Panel & Inventory
Up- Dpad = Opens Black Lion Trading Post
Down-Dpad = Opens PvP menu

A = left Click
LT = Left click
RT = Right click
X = Interact
Y = Options Menu
B = Cancel

You can also watch my short 5min video of me playing all 9 classes in GW2 fighting Svanir using an XboxOne controller at this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qzn6r22W64&index=1

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Its about time, that Anet starts to implement finalyl some kind of selfmade official controler support into the game…

players shouldnt be required in a game like this to be dependent on 3rd party programms from outside of the game just to be able to play the game also with controlers like the XBox or PS4 controler… or any kind of 3rd party producer controler that doesn’t come from consoles…

A game like this should provide own official controler support. Period
Shouldnt be too hard for ANet to make an own support for controlers as part of the ingame options menu to let the players decide over it, if they weant to play the game with mouse and keyboard, or if they want to shift over by one mouse click to Controler Gameplay instead, without that I have to start outside of the game for that some kinmd of 3rd party program or anything else for that, just to be able to play with a contrler the game and be able to configurate my setting for it, which buttons should be for which function of the game controls, just like we can change this also for the keyboard already from begin on…

Lets all hope, that Anet will announce somewhen in the futre after the release of Path of Fire, that they will release the game also as console ports onto X1/ PS4, then this problem has finally an end, and we can play the game then also finalyl on our nice and big TV screens with controlers, instead of in front of our PCs with mouse/keyboard n much smaler screens…

That would be so great for GW2, if they could make this somewhen finally happen in the future.
I’d be immediately one of the people, who’d completely switch over to play the game on console on my big TV with controler then.

The only issue that anet would have to work on ist, that players would need to have a way to connect from console also onto the acccounts from the PC version to continue their accounts…
If by playing on console it would end up in beign forced to make completely new fresh accounts – so no crossplay feature – then would make the whole work and effort for this make no sense and would be just a waste of time/money…

So if Anet ever intends to spread the game over to consoles to increase the community this way, then they have to do it right with crossplay between all platforms in mind, so that players aren’t forced to start fresh with a new account just to be able to play the game on consoles on TV.
We would have to be able just to login on our existing accounts that have been created on the Pc version on consoles, just like we would login in the game for the PC version…
So when I start the game on console and login , that I can just use the same account data to login, which I’d use for login into the game on my PC.

Thats the only issue that needs to be solved to make it possible to play the game also on consoles and when Anet won#t have for this issue a solution, then they should just stay on PC only directly and make no efforts on porting the game to consoles…

Because who really wants to switch over to console and TV, if you are then forced to make a completely new account, instead of being able to continue with your already existign account??
It wouldnt be worth for me to lose thousands of hours that ive invested already in my current account, just to be able to play the game later on console, if it would end up like this… then I rather keep on playing on PC, if the price for playing on consoles would be in the end losing your PC’s game progress therefore, due to eventually having no crossplay function between all platforms.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Its about time, that Anet starts to implement finalyl some kind of selfmade official controler support into the game…

players shouldnt be required in a game like this to be dependent on 3rd party programms from outside of the game just to be able to play the game also with controlers like the XBox or PS4 controler… or any kind of 3rd party producer controler that doesn’t come from consoles…

A game like this should provide own official controler support. Period
Shouldnt be too hard for ANet to make an own support for controlers as part of the ingame options menu to let the players decide over it, if they weant to play the game with mouse and keyboard, or if they want to shift over by one mouse click to Controler Gameplay instead, without that I have to start outside of the game for that some kinmd of 3rd party program or anything else for that, just to be able to play with a contrler the game and be able to configurate my setting for it, which buttons should be for which function of the game controls, just like we can change this also for the keyboard already from begin on…

Lets all hope, that Anet will announce somewhen in the futre after the release of Path of Fire, that they will release the game also as console ports onto X1/ PS4, then this problem has finally an end, and we can play the game then also finalyl on our nice and big TV screens with controlers, instead of in front of our PCs with mouse/keyboard n much smaler screens…

That would be so great for GW2, if they could make this somewhen finally happen in the future.
I’d be immediately one of the people, who’d completely switch over to play the game on console on my big TV with controler then.

The only issue that anet would have to work on ist, that players would need to have a way to connect from console also onto the acccounts from the PC version to continue their accounts…
If by playing on console it would end up in beign forced to make completely new fresh accounts – so no crossplay feature – then would make the whole work and effort for this make no sense and would be just a waste of time/money…

So if Anet ever intends to spread the game over to consoles to increase the community this way, then they have to do it right with crossplay between all platforms in mind, so that players aren’t forced to start fresh with a new account just to be able to play the game on consoles on TV.
We would have to be able just to login on our existing accounts that have been created on the Pc version on consoles, just like we would login in the game for the PC version…
So when I start the game on console and login , that I can just use the same account data to login, which I’d use for login into the game on my PC.

Thats the only issue that needs to be solved to make it possible to play the game also on consoles and when Anet won#t have for this issue a solution, then they should just stay on PC only directly and make no efforts on porting the game to consoles…

Because who really wants to switch over to console and TV, if you are then forced to make a completely new account, instead of being able to continue with your already existign account??
It wouldnt be worth for me to lose thousands of hours that ive invested already in my current account, just to be able to play the game later on console, if it would end up like this… then I rather keep on playing on PC, if the price for playing on consoles would be in the end losing your PC’s game progress therefore, due to eventually having no crossplay function between all platforms.

If they do add controller support, I hope they let us disable it in favor of letting us use 3rd party support like Xpadder… I would HATE having the ingame controller support interfer with how my controller layout works since I’ve been playing with this layout since the beta of the original GW2… I need my xpadder! I hate controller support ingame usually because of how limited it is. Would ruin my gaming experience if you cant turn off controller support in the menu.

(edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Sure, the point is, 3rd party stuff needs always to be looked over by Anet, if players don’t find with them ways with that they can gain maybe somehow advantages over other players which just play with mouse/keyboard..

Thats why I think an official own selfmade controler support is neccessary, because only this way is Anet able to ensure, that everyone will use the exact same support, which allows also only the same functions, so that everyone can be truly equal to ensure, that everythign happens in a fair manner, so that nobody can eventualy get somehow advantages over others, which ANet would have to investigate first, if some kind of 3rd party controler support vialted against certain game rules/ code of conduct ect. pp.

Thats my reason why I think anet is long overdue with it to provide an own self made controler support.
However, my hopes for this to become a real thign, are very long ..
As logn anet has no intentions at all to port the game also onto consoles, I guess we will never see any official controler support by Anet, when its most likely just easier/ and more cost efficient just to ensure through investigations ect. that nobody absuses these 3rd party programs, than to work on an own official controler support and port the game over to consoles as well, even if this woudl mean for anet also as well additional new sources of incomign money, if they would spread the playerbase out onto the consoles as well, so that sales doesn’t come then only from PC sales anymore of the game, but also from consoles and their Online plattforms (PSn/XboxLive) through DLCs as replacement for the gemstore.

Maybe we will see this as a feature for the 3rd expansion in x years. when Naet is eventually doign again a Feature Expansion and not like PoF a Content Expansion, who knows ^^

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Sure, the point is, 3rd party stuff needs always to be looked over by Anet, if players don’t find with them ways with that they can gain maybe somehow advantages over other players which just play with mouse/keyboard..

Thats why I think an official own selfmade controler support is neccessary, because only this way is Anet able to ensure, that everyone will use the exact same support, which allows also only the same functions, so that everyone can be truly equal to ensure, that everythign happens in a fair manner, so that nobody can eventualy get somehow advantages over others, which ANet would have to investigate first, if some kind of 3rd party controler support vialted against certain game rules/ code of conduct ect. pp.

Thats my reason why I think anet is long overdue with it to provide an own self made controler support.
However, my hopes for this to become a real thign, are very long ..
As logn anet has no intentions at all to port the game also onto consoles, I guess we will never see any official controler support by Anet, when its most likely just easier/ and more cost efficient just to ensure through investigations ect. that nobody absuses these 3rd party programs, than to work on an own official controler support and port the game over to consoles as well, even if this woudl mean for anet also as well additional new sources of incomign money, if they would spread the playerbase out onto the consoles as well, so that sales doesn’t come then only from PC sales anymore of the game, but also from consoles and their Online plattforms (PSn/XboxLive) through DLCs as replacement for the gemstore.

Maybe we will see this as a feature for the 3rd expansion in x years. when Naet is eventually doign again a Feature Expansion and not like PoF a Content Expansion, who knows ^^

Keep in mind PC gaming has never been about playing on equal playing field. Not everyone owns the same hardware, so not everyone will get the same performance, this includes control inputs. For example: A Mouse & Keyboard is superior for First person shooters, and playing with a controller leaves you a huge disadvantage in competitive game mode, while using a keyboard and mouse for fighting games or a platformer would leave you a huge disadvantage over someone who uses a controller. Either way people play on hardware and control input they prefer as long as they are not in any way cheating during online play. Cheating would be trying to make a bot play for you or pressing one key that does multiple actions. Luckily on a controller, you’d be pressing 2 buttons to perform one action with the amount of skills available so using 3rd party software to play GW2 on a controller won’t be cheating in this case.

Either way if they do add Controller support, I hope you can DISABLE it on the Options Menu. I dont like built in controller support in MMOs because of it’s limitations.
TERA’s controller support for example sucks and I always try to turn it off while playing using xpadder but the game is stubborn and forces me to unbind their default settings for each new character I made. If this is what will happen then No thanks lol

Posted by: Hanakocz.5697

Hanakocz.5697

This is not the console game and hopefully will never be. That would be damaging.

Carighan.6758

This is not the console game and hopefully will never be. That would be damaging.

It works fine in FF14 tbh. But then, that game was built from day 1 with controller support in mind, including the UI and all. Changing it retroactively would be a massive undertaking and feels like a colossal waste of time considering how tiny the target audience probably is.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

It works fine in FF14 tbh. But then, that game was built from day 1 with controller support in mind, including the UI and all. Changing it retroactively would be a massive undertaking and feels like a colossal waste of time considering how tiny the target audience probably is.

I agree. I rather they focus on more content…

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

A gamer mouse is more than fine by me.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

If you want to play GW2 on the TV… then simply connect your PC to your TV and play the game on your controller using xpadder… Seriously it’s that easy.

I game on my PC using a 4k 65inch TV with bluetooth XboxOne controller.
You wont be able to play GW2 on 4k though because the UI is tiny… but you can play it at 2k or 1080p resolution just fine! That’s what I do.

Seriously, if your reason is “I wanna play on TV with controller” then console is irrelevant. You can already do this on PC just fine and it runs better on PC anyways so it’s a waste of money, time, and resources. I would rather ArenaNet focus on giving us more amazing content.

(edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265)

Carighan.6758

Can always just use a steam controller and a steam link, if you don’t want to mess with the technical details.

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

Steam Controller would be best since you’d be able to control AoE Circles.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Steam Controller would be best since you’d be able to control AoE Circles.

You can control AoE circles just fine with xboxOne controller. I do it all the time.
Also dont forget you can also use snap AoE circle to target lock on feature.

Fatherstears.6329

Thanks alot guys! I Will have a look at the Xpadder thing ,hopefully the game Will get controller support in the future !

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Thanks alot guys! I Will have a look at the Xpadder thing ,hopefully the game Will get controller support in the future !

You’re going to love xpadder.
If you want help setting up a profile, add me on skype and I’ll personally walk you through.

My skype is: DreamyAbaddon

Fatherstears.6329

Thanks alot for all help ! I haven’t installed the game on my “tv-pc” yet but when i do i will try this out , thanks again , might give you a call @DreamyAbaddon if i need further instructions!

Posted by: ffletcher.3468

ffletcher.3468

I use a Logitech wireless F710 with my desktop. Specifically configured by me for GW2 with the bundled software. Works fine for everything I do – but that does not include pvp.