Will People Play Content They Don't Enjoy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I don’t play any content I don’t enjoy no matter what the reward is. Luckily they’ve done pretty well with making the rewards available via content I enjoy one way or another. There’s definitely stuff I’ve skipped like the Sunbringer title because the content is just lousy though…

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Vayne, welcome to the dark side.

Just kidding!

This is a very important point – when looking at metrics, numbers, statistics – always question them.

I guess it’s the same with everything, we will have different … painlevels. Do I think many people just tick off chores on some list to get over with it? I certainly do it sometimes.

But where does that start exactly – quite frankly I think that depends on you. Be it map completion, vistas, hearts (!). I mean sometimes if the stuff is fun it’s a bonus, sometimes it’s like ‘oh no, it’s over already?‘. So many little reasons, maybe I don’t like snow and that’s why this map felt like a chore.

At least it seemed to go by fast – in this example – you don’t have to spend another two weeks there or gather let’s say 10000 toxic spores, no?

Soften the economy a bit, let people feel like they can splurge on stuff and maybe more people will relax.

I don’t want this to get too long so just to your last question – is it healthy. I don’t think it has anything to do with that, it will just attract a different crowd. I guess from a story-telling perspective some things have to be centralized, perhaps they can find a better way of scaling or allowing people to make their own instances – be it via group finder or guild wise etc.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’ll do content I don’t nessicarily “enjoy” to a point.

I don’t particularly like following the champ train. Its not terribly awful or anything, but its boring. But I’ll do it to get money to buy stuff.

I don’t really like following a random internet guide to find X number of items out in the open world, but I’ll do it to work towards a Meta-Achieve.

Something like Tequatl, on the other hand… no. The wait time, the BS time limit with a high chance of failure, the crashing to desktop (I rarely crash playing this game, and yet out of 5 attempts at Tequatl 2 of them ended in crashes)… it elevates the content beyond “Well, this isn’t really fun but not that bad” to “Dear god, this is horrible”. I put up with it at first, but I’ll likely never do so again.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Human will always do want they want they may say they do not like something but if they truly disliked it then they would not do it in the first places. Often ppl fool them self into thinking that they do not like something.
Ppl do not always do what they say they are going to do is the best way i can put it.

That’s not really how compulsion works though. A lot of MMOs play on compulsion to keep people playing. And people can’t help/choose compulsions by definition.

That more of a question of free will then if the compulsion to do something is that great to force ppl into doing something they do not like nor they are getting reward for doing it then i think they can make a person do any thing and in time they would take over the world as such.
Rewards is part of the “fun” of doing events the event it self may not be fun for some ppl but the reward for doing the event becomes the “fun.” There by making it something that a person wants to do.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I don’t play for rewards at all. Well…material ones anyway. I don’t do LS(or PS now). I don’t farm Orr/Frostgorge/Fractals/Dungeons. I don’t Champ farm. I don’t even have any crafting to 500, and only 3 at 400.

All I like to do is hang out with my server/guild mates in W3. That’s usually all I need to enjoy this game. The downside is I’m perpetually poor. 3k+ hours playing; never had more than 60g, never had a precursor, never even set foot in CoE yet lol. And my Fractal lvl is 6.

This may sound arrogant, but when I see players running around completing achievements like trained monkeys, I feel sorry for them. They all play right into ANet’s hands, mindlessly chasing meaningless titles and events. The farmers aren’t quite as bad, at least they are making money…which is useful. But it’s still depressing.

What a deluge of nonsense players have fallen into…

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Trust me, I get it. In the strict economic sense I have made the judgement in some cases that the desired reward outweighs the slog. I play a bunch, but I’m not really much of a compulsive completionist. I’ve happily ignored SAB, Tequatl and TA updates and in those cases determined that the reward did not outweigh unenjoyable content.

My main beef is that, in most cases, what makes it unenjoyable is the deadline. I have deadlines at work. I play this game to blow off steam after work. If I’m sitting at 200/250 aetherblade kills I’d happily wait until I naturally got 50 more whether it be a week or a month from now, but if it’s the Monday before the next release the choice is to either grind it out or miss out. Sometimes I choose to grind it out, sometimes I skip. I know I make the choice. BUT Why does the need to make this choice exist in a game? What’s the good argument for cramming things in and imposing deadlines in a game? To prop up server numbers to make the login stats look better? How are players served?

I can agree that deadlines suck. I have them in my own work environment as well. However, we have deadlines everywhere in our life. Some are hard, some are soft. The majority pretty much go unnoticed, but they are there anyway.

I also play this game to blow off steam. I’m not an 8+ hour a day player. I might play a couple of hours in the evening, and a few hours more on the weekend. Depends on how many errands I need to get done after work, or how long family commitments take on the weekend.

Why does any choice exist? To motivate you into making a decision, into taking a specific step or set you on a specific course of action.

They explained why they opted to go with 2 week updates. Basically it boils down to the people that do have oodles of time to play stop playing it in a short period of time, the average players take a little longer, and then you have the really casual players that take even longer.

The problem is that they can’t just leave everything in the game forever. (Different conversation all together, we won’t derail this thread with that.) So instead they have to find the balance between the various types of players in regards to how long they should let it run before swapping it out. Their metrics (which they covered) showed them that 2 weeks seemed to be that sweet spot, so that’s what they went with.

As it stands at 2 weeks, you still have those that kitten they have everything done within hours of the patch, and then people like you who gripe that 2 weeks isn’t long enough. Then you have people like me where I spread it out across the entire two weeks because I don’t only focus on it, and it works out fine. Who’s in the right? We got a Goldilocks scenario happening here.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Though not all the shinies are useless.

Want to maximize boon uptime? You’ll need Superior Runes of the Monk, which are only available from running Ascalonian Catacombs.

Want a 5% stat increase (calculated to be up to 10% damage increase when you include weapon damage)? You’ll need to do some world bosses.

Not every reward from these grinds is cosmetic.

Yes, you can choose to ignore these rewards. But a game can also be designed so that you get the rewards through the type of stuff you actually like to do.

I can go to a pizza joint that only serves mushroom pizza, and pick out the mushrooms. I don’t have to eat them if I’d prefer plain cheese. It’d be a lot more enjoyable, though, if someone would just put cheese pizza on the menu.

In regards to the LS, most all of the shinies are useless. They are cosmetic niceties.

In your examples, such shinies have to be weighed against their grind to be determined if they are worth the effort to obtain them. Some will say no. Some will say yes. It completely depends on the player, their style, their patience, and their tolerance level.

All that said, I never (anywhere, ever) said the game was perfect. I’m all for a little more diversity in such things.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: McFly.2134

McFly.2134

Yes. Also, depends on your definition of “joy.” Grinding in a zone while watching a movie is joyful to some. The OP’s questions/comment are far too ambiguous and dependent greatly on personal perspective.

Wisdom through suffering.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Depends on the effort:reward ratio. Also, depends on the event.

For example
I like SAB skins, but I don’t like the event = I didn’t play.
I don’t like Scarlett but I need gold = I play.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Just to add one more thought. I think all this grindy content burns goodwill.

My non-scientific anecdotal evidence suggests that when people quit the game because the goodwill is gone they really end up hating the game. The amount of venom I’ve heard from friends who left the game is unbelievable.

That venom often also comes from wanting a justification.

Leaving a game is a decision. There’s benefits and costs, a massive obvious cost being abandoning all the time you’ve invested into the game. No matter how good a game is, people may leave. They’ll often use whatever reason they can find to mentally justify that decision, to comfort themselves that they made the right decision.

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

To answer the question in the title directly, I won’t.

For example, I skipped the entire SAB series because I wanted to play GW2, not Super Mario Bros or whatever game SAB was trying to imitate. Despite missing out on skins, achievement points and content.

PS. Being slightly burnt out from the rapid LS releases helped too.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Yes – Each time a new LS update is boring and plain ( such as the most recent one) I find myself doing it JUST BECAUSE i need to get it done.

This last update was a massive disappointment and I really hope they can raise the bar soon.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Aaaand this is why I suggested ingame pools back then :P
Metrics are not enough to show burnout.

Attachments:

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I just wanted to say that this update is the first LS I have done/even looked at since SAB, not because I don’t like SAB btw.
I am also probably the only person who has no nodes in my home instance.

I just like to play fun content(for me): I loved the gauntlet, I hate zerg rushing/farming, I enjoyed teq, I don’t like repeating stuff over to tick a box.
I have been playing GW2 though and I have been having a very enjoyable time.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: cinemapaula.8673

cinemapaula.8673

I dont. I didn’t bother with the TA Dungeon. I won’t do the WvW Achieves, and Im not actively working on Kessex. Clocktower? What Clocktower?

I play less and less these days… primary reason? Everything is stupid Scarlet. Bored with her. Tired of the same stuff. I logged in HOPING for a repeat of last years Mad King Dungeon Instance to play WITH friends and guidies… but nope. =(

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

Yeah, so hard to gauge if people find certain activities fun.
You have to go lengths such as taking away rewards and see if people still do it. Oh wait, sounds rather easy if you look at it like this ._.

Ele / Guardian

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I’d like to get some dungeon armours for some of my toons but I can’t stand the dungeons in this game so don’t go near them. They can have cultural and like it

I also didn’t complete my WvW exploration part until I once found out our server had pretty much total control of all the maps. It was just like getting 100% in PvE. I’d still be at 91% or whatever if I had to actually play WvW to get 100%.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I generally do not play content that I do not enjoy. On the other hand I have at times participated in content that I did not know if I would enjoy because the reward seemed interesting (and I believe in trying new things) only to discover by the end that I did not enjoy that piece of content. At that point I would not repeat the content just for another chance at the reward.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I used to enjoy being an achievement hunter, but ANet assigns achievement points to things that are tedious, repetitive, and poorly designed. The best example in memory: Lunatic Inquisition Regular being worth up to 50 points…? 80 games at up to 15 minutes per game? Absurd. The most continuous example is the heavy loading of achievement points on dailies. This is also absurd; they’re not achievements in any sense of the word.

I used to enjoy crafting, but then ANet introduced time gating and account-binding to high-end crafting. Even though I’m extremely frustrated with it, I still craft in the few instances where it’s cost effective or necessary.

There are more examples, but the short answer is that people absolutely do play content they don’t like, for various reasons.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Depends on the content, the reward, lots of things.

I’ll run in and out of a room a few times in Symphony of the Night if I have a chance to get the Ring of Varda. I don’t like how many runs of a dungeon I have to do to get a dungeon set in GW2 though.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

A ton of people play only for the rewards, and that’s where their fun comes from. It’s not from the content, although some of it can be fairly enjoyable, but it’s from the end result of finally acquiring that shiny new item that you can wear around town and show off.

I think of myself as one of those people that like rewards and will do just about anything I don’t enjoy doing to get those rewards. For example: I absolutely detest champion farming yet I farmed champions for 8 hours straight one day just so I could get the Commander tag. Afterward, I ate some food and then continued to farm for another 4 hours because I saw how much gold I could gain, and I got greedy.

Most people are like this, and I know this because of how every single MMORPG is developed. Ask yourself: Why does every MMORPG focus so heavily on rewards, and why is Guild Wars 2 shifting to a more rewarding atmosphere? The answer: The majority of people that play MMORPG’s want to be rewarded for playing. If I am given content that looks cool, but yields no rewards, I will not play that content because I believe it is completely useless in the long run. Sure, I’ll have fun for a few minutes, but after that I’ll get bored. If I am given content that sucks, but gives amazing rewards, I will do the content anyway.

To be honest though, the achievements and tasks in Guild Wars 2 are even more repetitive than in other MMORPG’s, and even if the tasks gave a good enough reward, I most likely wouldn’t do those tasks.

The only problem that’s keeping me from playing GW2 consistently is that there are no large, difficult events that are really, really rewarding. Teq is probably the most rewarding event in the game at the moment, and he only gives a -chance- to drop ascended weapons, which I already have. I’m actually okay with the RNG aspect of a boss that large and powerful, but the rewards need to be much, much better. Personally, I recommend lowering the time to kill teq to 13 minutes and improving the rewards to about 20 gold + a chance for ascended weapons. I haven’t managed to kill Teq yet, so I do not know if 13 minutes is not difficult enough. It could be 9 minutes.

But at the moment, I do not even feel the need to attempt Teq because the rewards are complete crap. Even though Teq is fun, the reward sucks.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

There are a lot of things I like in GW2 so I stick with those. Fractals, SAB and jumping puzzles are not fun IMO so I don’t do them. I refuse to grind away at any farming activity to get the materials need to craft a legendary, and I’m fine never owning one.

As long as Scarlet (the Jar Jar Binks of Guild Wars) doesn’t infest the areas of the game I like, all is good.

SBI

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Im forced to do open world events to get dragonite. I sure as hell dont enjoy them. But if I want to finish ascended gear on all my alts Im gonna have to.

And why are you grinding out Ascended gear?
To make content you already don’t enjoy even easier?

So I can have BiS for speed clears and fractals. Why do you think? I dont open world, its dull. Doesnt mean I dislike all pve.

And why are you continuously repeating speed clears and fractals?
I’m willing to bet it’s not for enjoyment, but rather to aid in the grind for more shiny stuff.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Im forced to do open world events to get dragonite. I sure as hell dont enjoy them. But if I want to finish ascended gear on all my alts Im gonna have to.

And why are you grinding out Ascended gear?
To make content you already don’t enjoy even easier?

So I can have BiS for speed clears and fractals. Why do you think? I dont open world, its dull. Doesnt mean I dislike all pve.

And why are you continuously repeating speed clears and fractals?
I’m willing to bet it’s not for enjoyment, but rather to aid in the grind for more shiny stuff.

Just to add a bit, this is an interesting line of…conversation, for me in particular.

1. For me, after totally destroying my gold savings and running and chasing after world bosses for TWO ascended weapons, i called it quits on that. My main already had my only legendary and having my second weapon + 1 underwater weapon an BiS, i force myself to be content with tht. But I do have a friend who kept grinding on world bosses so that he could get some 5-6 of his weapons to ascended ( his guard has multiple builds and can do some diverse amont of stuff)

Now we dont do speed clears in dungeons much, we dont value time completion as much as having a smooth, no-one-dies-in-the-run success. And playing support, he does want to be the best his toon can offer to the party, this is what he enjoys out of it. In short, we want to be better at our dungeon runs, but NOT because we r aiming for more shinies, but because we just like running dungeons with friends and guildies. we like taking new ppl in dungeons and helping them learn it. stuff like that. most of us have more tokens than what we need, and thank god for the Wallet, else i dunno how much bank space we’d waste

2. to link with the topic of this here thread, ive talked about the whole “grind” matter with some of my friends, including the one i mentioned in point1. The thing is, we enjoy dungeons, as ive said but does he resent the grind to ascendeds? Thats a clear Yes. And TooBz stated two points worth echoing for my context here. First is that the lack of competitors GW2 have at this current time, because we hate WoW and ‘regular MMOs’ and with GW2 turning this way, we are starting to look into other options. the lack of said options is why we are mostly still here. Second point is about how this “grinding” burns goodwill. Again I agree because some months ago, we were all enthusiastic for..expansions, or new contents. These days, we are very skeptical of any…promises, and even the promise of a full, normal style expansion seems to have lost its appeal.

I’m just stating what is the case for me and mine. Just felt like sharing

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I was one of those for whom playing content for fun was a primary motivation. I had some issues with the drop rates in the game, but figured out a way around them that worked for me. However, the content that I enjoy, the DE’s in disparate zones, has been left to rot in favor of content that I find distasteful, in the form of, “Let’s pack everyone into the same area for herd play,” open world or instanced.

What I’m finding is that my motivation to log in has evaporated. The new content is for the most part, not fun. I’ve done the existing-at-launch content for 2000+ hours and have reached a point of diminishing returns on fun. Don’t get me wrong, I got my money’s worth — but the current state of the game does not inspire me to support the company.

Also, ANet has largely removed the spontaneity in doing group events like the temples. Now, players either choose to do these events as large, organized groups or in very small groups that don’t ask for others to come and join in. Event scaling produces tedious, unfun slogs with mid-range numbers, and these events are best done with either groups under 10 or greater than 25. Either way, the days of responding to a call-out to come to X seem to be gone.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I haven’t done Living Story since the Queens Gauntlet, everything after that I found un-intriguing so I didn’t participate in them.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

I used to play the content they added, but I realised I just wasn’t enjoying most of it so now I give it a try and abandon if it isn’t fun. It hasn’t been much fun for a long time (I enjoyed parts of bazaar).

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Because we need to kill 1000 rat to kill a dragon.

Because we need to kill 1000 rat to wear an excalibur.

And people just like to look nice for whatever reason. I dont’ know why people would wear prada when they can use a regular bag function just as well.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: MercyKilling.8519

MercyKilling.8519

I absolutely will not play content if I do not enjoy it. Any form of PvP is not enjoyable to me, so that part of the game is something I’ll never experience nor complete, even if Anet PAYS me with real money.
I don’t much like grinding, but I’ll do it if I -really- want the “reward”. It’d have to be pretty darn good, though. On the order of bacon wrapped tater tots dipped in cheese good, and it’s subjective to MY interpretation of good.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Human Psychology 101 : If the payoff is big enough it doesn’t need a fun factor

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

You want to run an experiment?

Remove all the rewards from the game. Then you’ll find out if people really like it or not.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

People will play content they dont’ enjoy so they can do content they enjoy.

That’s the philosophy of modern mmorpg grinding.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

You want to run an experiment?

Remove all the rewards from the game. Then you’ll find out if people really like it or not.

“What if there was no loot?”

Interesting little thread.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

I guess the question is: how many people are actually going to participate in content they don’t enjoy just to get a specific reward and how viable is that situation for the long term health of the game.

I’ll do it 100% of the time since rewards are all you can expect from trash like this.

It’s only viable until the next nonkitten MMO comes out.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Frankly, I think MMOs have evolved from a medium for fun to a medium of addiction. I don’t think people play MMOs purely for fun anymore.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Hilarious that people still think that just because they’re masochistic enough to play a game they don’t enjoy simply because it fires off some primitive addiction euphoria somehow means everyone is like that. Thankfully, ANet knows better.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

It depends on how annoying it is and how badly I want the rewards. If it seems too impossible and I can put lots of time in it and still never get a decent reward, I’ll give it up (Teq, for example).

If it is annoying and grindy but I think I can complete it, I will do it even if I hate it to get the reward.

Is it sustainable? I don’t know, after the invasion achievement that bugged out on me and I had to do it many more times than I should have in order to finally complete it, I was burned out and skipped the next few LS. Started back on them at Mad King.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think it’s an easy question to answer for me because there are a lot of different factors.

I’m quite confident saying I’m not chasing achievement points because I very rarely do all the achievements in a Living Story release and when I do it’s often by coincidence – I did during the Queens Jubilee for example but that’s because the only ones I had to deliberately work towards were ones I wanted to do anyway like the story instances and the torch runs.

I usually will do the meta achievement but to be honest I’m not quite sure why. It’s usually not for the reward items because I don’t use them, they just end up sitting in one of my bags. I think it’s because I see the meta achievement as a good way of judging when I’ve done all the content, even though I know that’s not always accurate (for example I’ve got the Halloween one without ever doing Lunatic Inquisition.)

I also collect minis and I know for a fact I will do content I’m not interested in, or keep doing it past the point where it stops being fun, to get them. So far the only ones I’ve refused to try for are the Wintersday Box minis that were only available by RNG gambling because that’s one mechanic I refuse to touch. (I’ll use black lion keys I get for free, but that’s all.)

But again that’s not always a bad thing because sometimes I start doing something just for a mini and I end up really enjoying it. I’d never have tried Aspect Arena or the Queen’s Gautlet normally but I loved both, especially the Gauntlet (which also made me a better player). I’ve been meaning to play WvW since the betas and always found excuses to leave it to later but I finally started about a week ago because I found out the mini dolyak is in the Season 1 achievement chest and I’ve found out I really enjoy it. I can’t believe I put it off so long.

On the other hand there are definitely things I did for the mini and then stopped immediately and would never go back to, even if they weren’t temporary content.

And this, I suspect, is why Anet and most other companies fall back on metrics. If I can’t even say why I start, or keep, playing content how can I possibly expect them to know?

It’s a common problem in any kind of behaviour analysis (which is a pain because it’s something I have to deal with a lot in my job). It’s very easy to see what a person or animal does, it’s virtually impossible to say why they do it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

If there is a reward that is a must have for me, I occasionally go out of my way and do events I would never normally do – like doing jumping puzzles in WvW for the WvW Season 1 Meta Achievement for example (because I figured I might not get 225 yak kills and 225 sentries by the time it ends, ultimately forcing me to do 2 jumping puzzles which were very frustrating because hardly anyone from my server was on and I kept getting knocked off and/or killed by enemies).

On the other hand, if there is a living story where I can’t access that area yet (or would require me to level characters just to get there), usually I won’t even bother. Case in point the whole Tequatl living story. Since my characters couldn’t get there, or weren’t high levelled enough, or weren’t upscaled and moved there like in some previous living stories, I didn’t even bother attempting it. Missed out on a whole bunch of achievement points, but that’s the price I pay for content that I can’t do, or don’t have the time in order to get there to do them (It may surprise some but I can’t level my characters to level 80 in a few days. It takes me a few weeks).

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Teulius.8752

Teulius.8752

There are people already playing LS only for achievements even though they don’t care about the lore or story.

I’m sure this is true. However, there are people who get enjoyment out of achievement hunting as an end in itself…I’m not one of them, but those people definitely exist.

I did the LS on three characters and every time i did them just to get rid of that annoying warning in the top right corner and to make my character feel complete, no other reason, it wasn’t all that enjoyable to me and I am willing to bet that many people feel the same way.

And another thing; Anet should measure how many ppl keep playing the content after they get their achievements aswell, i think that would determine well if the content is fun or not

(edited by Teulius.8752)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Do them with me.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I enjoy achieving my goals. I don’t have to enjoy every single step of the process in a vacuum to still experience the pleasure of making progress.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

I admit I play living world contents just for achievements. But GW2 Living World is meh, nothing connect together. Seem like Anet just put random stuff in. I’m pretty sure more people will come back and play if they continue the story lore

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I’ve been thinking a lot about the complaints I’ve seen on the forums about grind, both gear and achievement grind. And I believe that most people playing would say they’d like less grind. But we also know that Anet has access to various metrics which show what people are playing.

I guess the question is: how many people are actually going to participate in content they don’t enjoy just to get a specific reward and how viable is that situation for the long term health of the game.

For example, I did all the content in Kessex, because I want a skill node in my home instance. I didn’t however, enjoy following the zerg train there, I did it to get it over with.

Now, Anet might look at that and think, wow, that’s great, we have all these people doing this content, we’ve done well. But how many people doing the content actually like or want to do it? And is that part of what Anet is counting when they count how many people are for/against a specific type of content.

I think this is a question worth asking.

Edit: For the record, I think the instance leading into the chapter of the Living World is one of the best yet. It introduces the situation, gives me some perspective and a chance to face the creatures, and a cool new atmosphere in an existing area. That much I really liked.

As a nay-sayer to grind… I don’t do living story, however much ‘goodies’ I will get from it.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

I could be sarcastic and say that the sole reason why most of us are going to work five days a week is the salary, so it’s not that doing unfun stuff for a reward is all that outlandish a thought.

But to answer the OP’s question, yes I do that in GW2. Actually lots. I farm materials in Orr like a madwoman with multiple characters a day, which is as dull and boring as it gets, but also the only viable way to get a Bifrost for my mesmer – ANet neglected to include a viable -fun- way to get a legendary weapon, after all. This activity consumes the majority of my playtime these days…

The list goes on, though:

- For map completion I had to complete several jumping puzzles. And I really loathe jumping puzzles.
- Many of the LS achievements are partially fun, but become a tedious grind halfway though. I complete them anyway, because I hate leaving unfinished things behind.
- I stopped considering the daily/monthly quests interesting a while ago, but still do them anyway because I have multiple alts that still want their Ascended jewelry one day.
- I achieved map completion on several characters, and don’t really desire to do it another time, but I am having another character doing it at the moment, because I want to play the class and the sad truth is that there are not too many new things for me to try in the game, for ANet seems to prefer to make minor changes to the existing game instead of giving us new continents to explore.

My tolerance towards content I don’t want to do is not unlimited, though. I sometimes do things I wouldn’t otherwise do if not for the reward tied to them, but when I saw the workload required for the 2013 Halloween goodies, I laughed really hard and walked away.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Tibago.8276

Tibago.8276

The game has certain mechanics in place to manipulate the user to engage in specific content. I must confess that I was getting increasingly frustrated with living story releases and daily/monthly achievements, since I felt the pressure to do them or I would be “left behind.” This is related to the push players feel to achievement things in the shortest possible time. About 6 weeks ago I was on the verge of leaving the game because I was constantly playing content I didn’t really enjoy. I had a choice, abandon the achievements set by ANet and their releases, or abandon the game. I chose the former. I began an engineer about the same time with the intent of being leisurely. She is now level 77 after 70 hours of play (and that includes a boost to level 20 to start with). I often skip dailies, managed to finish 13/13 of the Blood and Madness yesterday (more by chance than design), and haven’t traveled to Kessex Hills to look at the Tower of Nightmares Living World stuff yet. I might do it, I might not, depends if I feel like it in the two week window (or what ever it is) that I have. I have totally stopped chasing Achievement Points and what I get is what I get. So yeah, I am done doing content on ANet’s timetable. I played gw1 for five plus years and if I am going to stay playing gw2 for that time, I can’t be on some frenetic achievement/reward/ascended gear chase. I will just get burned out and sick of it.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Metrics are a false measurement without context.

In Theory, If DHS used pure numbers without context, they could claim that Citizens “enjoy” body searches due to the numbers that consent to them by ignoring the fact that those searches are connected to what is actually desired. Air Travel.

In actual practice, the current administration pointed at the number of hits on the Affordable Health Care website as “proof” of the popularity of the Act.. without bringing up there is kinda this “law” compelling people to do so.

Raw numbers without context are pretty meaningless.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

In Theory, If DHS used pure numbers without context, they could claim that Citizens “enjoy” body searches due to the numbers that consent to them by ignoring the fact that those searches are connected to what is actually desired. Air Travel.

In actual practice, the current administration pointed at the number of hits on the Affordable Health Care website as “proof” of the popularity of the Act.. without bringing up there is kinda this “law” compelling people to do so.

What a daft comparison.

The difference is that playing Guild Wars 2 isn’t mandatory. It’s a video game. You don’t have to play it. Most anyone will only play a video game they enjoy it, or at least some part of it. It really takes a certain kind of person to stick around and play a video game they don’t like only to add points to their fedora score, and I’d describe what kind of person that is in detail, but I’d likely get infracted for it.

Even the people going “yeah, I do things I don’t enjoy so I can get the shiny at the end” omit that they play the game they “don’t like” to reach something that they do enjoy (the reward, sense of fulfillment, whatever), thus negating their point almost entirely.

In this context, it seems ArenaNet is evaluating their data pretty well. People are enjoying at least some part of the game when they log on, whether it’s the gameplay (like I do), or as I described it earlier, the primitive addiction euphoria.

So yeah, a word of advice to everyone playing a game they “don’t like”: If you don’t like the game, don’t stick around and muddy the issue. You don’t have to play. Go outside, do something productive, because at this point, just about any activity is more productive than playing a game you apparently hate, and then coming to the forums day after day, hours at a time, complaining about how much you hate the game.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

(edited by DusK.3849)

Posted by: JasonP.4028

JasonP.4028

Yes people will play stuff they don’t always enjoy … some people are here for the community or friends or guild moved from older game

“Will people play content that they don’t like” should be a more accurate question the answer is simple: No

do you watch TV or read a book that your friends read even if you don’t like it ? Maybe once or twice but if you have/had no interest in the TV show or Book befor ,simply cause your friend interested in it isn’t always going to make you watch or read something you hate any more

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

What a daft comparison.

The difference is that playing Guild Wars 2 isn’t mandatory. It’s a video game. You don’t have to play it. Most anyone will only play a video game they enjoy it, or at least some part of it. It really takes a certain kind of person to stick around and play a video game they don’t like only to add points to their fedora score, and I’d describe what kind of person that is in detail, but I’d likely get infracted for it.

Even the people going “yeah, I do things I don’t enjoy so I can get the shiny at the end” omit that they play the game they “don’t like” to reach something that they do enjoy (the reward, sense of fulfillment, whatever), thus negating their point almost entirely.

In this context, it seems ArenaNet is evaluating their data pretty well. People are enjoying at least some part of the game when they log on, whether it’s the gameplay (like I do), or as I described it earlier, the primitive addiction euphoria.

So yeah, a word of advice to everyone playing a game they “don’t like”: If you don’t like the game, don’t stick around and muddy the issue. You don’t have to play. Go outside, do something productive, because at this point, just about any activity is more productive than playing a game you apparently hate, and then coming to the forums day after day, hours at a time, complaining about how much you hate the game.

I am so sorry that a simple observation regarding metrics, while trying to avoid criticizing any aspect of gameplay provoked such an angry and visceral response from you. I do apologize.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.