Will we ever see new playable Races?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coldau.9280

Coldau.9280

I’ve been thinking about this for awhile, all of the races we have are amazing and I’ve love to see more. The only ones I can even think of seeing as eventually playable are Tengu, Kadan, and a SUPER maybe(extremely unlikely) on Centaurs and Largos. Unless a new race was to arise like the Sylvari, I don’t know what else would be possible. What do you guys think?

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

The thing is, a new race won’t add very much with regard to play options. Whereas a new profession is an entire new play style that brings several new options to the player.

I would expect implementing a new race will take a lot of resources for very little payoff (of course though, that is my opinion, and I would be happy to see a new race).

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

- A new race doesn’t add new gameplay.
- A new race requires a huge amount of work to re-adjust the armors and outfits.

I would love to see other races but honestly I don’t see ArenaNet doing all that work. They’ll probably prefer to focus on their living story.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

would much rather the get better at fixing armors for our races we have already….. looking at my poor asura and charrs

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

it was speculated that Tengus would become a playable race though after what they did on the battle for lions arch (not only not helping but shooting to death enemies and allies alike) an alliance seems most unlikely atm unless an elder dragon comes crashing right trough the dominion of winds

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

Actually, a new race would indeed add new game play, as they would need new story instances for that race up to the point all races personal stories converge.

Not to mention a new starter area, new hearts, new city for them.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

There is a 99% chance we will never see new races.

1. They would have to do all the voice acting for the personal story.

2. They would have to make new personal story quests up until the point where you join the orders and it all becomes the same.

3. At this point most people have all professions at max level, and would not want to reroll. So ArenaNet would have to make a race change kit, which they refuse to do.

4. They would have to adjust all weapons and armour to the new race, as well as making new cultural armour.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I would love to be able to customize the Largos race (Humanoids with wings, it’s been 3 years since I did PvE or story line)…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I find the notion that race adds nothing and profession adds gameplay interesting. While I do not deny that professions do add to playstyle I strongly disagree with race adding nothing. It would add some new story, contribute to the lore, give new aesthetics.

I can’t be bothered to make all professions, because… sure they are a little different, but ultimately it is the same story, the same aesthetics etc. What would make me make some of the other professions is if I could combine it with a different race than my current characters.

As for reworking the existing personal story… no… thats not how I imagine it getting done. It should be a story for that (future) expansion, where the new race gets its own start, untill they join up with the point where all the other races are. So it would be a new tie in, at a new point in time, with Zhaitan and most likely Mordremoth already dead.

But yeah… as much as I would want new races (at least tengu), it seems unlikely at this point. No incentive for me to make more characters than the 5 I have, but oh well.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

It requires a lot of animation work wheras a new class requires a great deal of conceptial work.

which is tougher? couldn’t say.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

There is a 99% chance we will never see new races.

1. They would have to do all the voice acting for the personal story.

2. They would have to make new personal story quests up until the point where you join the orders and it all becomes the same.

3. At this point most people have all professions at max level, and would not want to reroll. So ArenaNet would have to make a race change kit, which they refuse to do.

4. They would have to adjust all weapons and armour to the new race, as well as making new cultural armour.

1. Money wise, the money needed for recording voices is laughable when put into perspective with Server maintenance cost, regular employee hours etc. It´s a one time investment with no lasting cost, fit to be used from the company at their leisure. We´re talking about 50K money for the really expensive people, and nobody forces you to take Mark Hamil as voice when you can pick a talented actor fresh from acting school too, nobody cares who he or she is when the voicing is good.

2. A viable reason, but again, cheap to make when you recycle stuff from other stories. Besides, RPG story concerns will be thrown out of the window anyway with the introduction of the Revenant, who has to travel back in time to join the pact 2 years before the first Revenant Rytlock appears.

3. With this reasoning, everybody would have maximum 8 characters, and you just have to look around to see how that is not the case…

4. One time investment in 3 Sets of racial Samurai Tengu armor < A lot of happy customers.
I don´t know much about programming, but I am pretty sure that it would be manageable to bring the models already existing in PvE to the players screen.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I’d say it’s likely, in future expansions.
I don’t think they’ll add more proffesions then the 9 available in HoT since they have a good balance between medium, light and heavy armor classes now and they do feel quite different. They will probally keep adding elite specs instead.

Adding a race is imo as someone who kind of knows the sector, far less work then adding a new proffesion wich then has to be balanced and fit in the entire game.
Races are basicly visual customisation, they don’t change anything but visuals. Animations really aren’t that hard, and i think far less timeconsuming then balancing the game.

I’d say the forgotten/ancient race makes a good ammount of sense, and of course the tengu.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

It’s a lot of work when you think about it. They’d have to animate all five of the skritt together so they moved and idled as a single unit, and model and rig armor x 5. There’d be all the work to make Skrittsburg in to a starter city. There’d be lots of voice acting, what with it taking five voices for a single character and.. What’s that? Not Skritt? Well who cares then?

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

With the technical knowhow of the Asura, and the shinies from the Skritt, a new race is ‘made’ or invented by the Asura, which will grow into what is now known as the ‘Borg’.
Hell, the Asura already got their cubes. Not much to add but some armor and a few red lights….. and a baldheaded human called Picarino.

Posted by: Seb.7453

Seb.7453

New personal story chapters, voice acting for all existing (story, dungeons, skills etc.) and future content (times two for male/female), animations, racial skills, an equal amount of extra options in makeover kits, cultural armors (and adapting all existing armors), adding a home city, a starting zone etc.

Making a new race would require a ton of work. So much that I don’t expect a new race soon, or maybe ever.

For each race they added it would also take more work to add new armor sets, outfits, hairstyles and new voice work.

And in the end the question remains how many people would actually enjoy playing that new race for an extended period of time versus the number of people who would just try it out for a short while and then return to their main character(s) (or even just stick to their existing characters).

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

I hope they don’t… its too much work for nothing truly new…
Theres way more important things to work on and spend resources on… a new playable race is not one of them…it doesn’t add anything meaningful to the game… its literally just another skin that takes a lot of work to add into this game…. Pass

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Skritt rule!!!!

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

It would probably be a little hard to implement, but I think it would be worth investing in for future expansions or even just for update patches. People always love new races and it might encourage people to purchase more character slots. They already have the lore in place for many new races, and since they don’t have a problem with altering things for whatever reason, I don’t see why they can’t add new, exciting races. Aside from the traditional ones like the Tengu, Centaur, Skritt, Hylek, Drege, Kodan, Grawl, Krait etc. we still don’t know much about the Largos maybe they would be a good addition for content against the Deep Sea Dragon.

The traditional ones are fan favorites though, so they’d be just as good to start with as the Largos would be. :p

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

If we are ever gonig to get new playable races…. I would assume they will come in with an expansion.

The real question is….. what is anet doing with this Tengu nonsense…

They have been rumored to be ready since the game was first launched in 2012, but were cut from the final release….

Now would be the time…. if any…. to get a new race….. packaged in with HoT.

…but anet hasn’t said a word.

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

While I dream of one day being a tengu, I’ve resigned myself that it will probably never happen.

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

Posted by: Seb.7453

Seb.7453

If we are ever gonig to get new playable races…. I would assume they will come in with an expansion.

The real question is….. what is anet doing with this Tengu nonsense…

They have been rumored to be ready since the game was first launched in 2012, but were cut from the final release….

Now would be the time…. if any…. to get a new race….. packaged in with HoT.

…but anet hasn’t said a word.

Anet said no new race this expansion.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Doubt it, then anet would have to do actual work. Maybe if they sold it as a gem store option they’d be more inclined to care enough to work on it.