Windows 10?

Windows 10?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: doddbox.8153

doddbox.8153

Is anyone running on Windows 10, and if so what has been your experience? I’m on the fence about jumping boat so early but it seems there is at least working Nvidia drivers and I’m only playing this game at the moment anyway.

very special guild tag [tX]

Windows 10?

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Windows 10?

Posted by: doddbox.8153

doddbox.8153

Think I’ve already read that thread, I’m more interested in what the performance difference is like and hindrances, reinstalling and kittening around with drivers is to be expected :P

very special guild tag [tX]

Windows 10?

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I haven’t had any issues with Windows 10 so far. Even drivers weren’t an issue for me. Ran driver uninstall utility (or whatever its called, use to be driver sweeper?) removed old drivers and installed the new ones no problem. Performance hasn’t changed in any noticeable way for me but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Windows 10?

Posted by: AnClar.1304

AnClar.1304

I had a couple of hiccups, but nothing major with GW2 and the Win10 upgrade. The first time I tried to run GW2 my graphics locked up…a GW2 -repair fixed that. Now the only things I note so far are the hero point display bug…cosmetic not a big deal and probably not related to Win10. Slightly more annoying is an ALT-tab issue…in fullscreen mode if I try to ALT-tab away from GW2, unless I have another app open on the desktop, and I switch to the GW2 map display first, it will not switch to the desktop, just flash and cycle back to the GW2 screen. Seems to be happening with nVidia cards like mine. Other than that, smooth…FPS good, gameplay and stability similar to what I had on Win8.1.

Windows 10?

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

I’ve been testing Win10 since October and it’s come a long way compared to its older versions. However, I never had major issues with GW2, not even during testing. Some easily solvable hiccups to do with graphics drivers, but other than that, pretty much flawless. Performance-wise, I noticed no difference tbh(Although I did notice a performance boost in other games, The Secret World was one of them). I’d say it’s pretty safe to upgrade and keep enjoying everything. Win10 is very stable and you should have no problems at all.

Windows 10?

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

I had a couple of hiccups, but nothing major with GW2 and the Win10 upgrade. The first time I tried to run GW2 my graphics locked up…a GW2 -repair fixed that. Now the only things I note so far are the hero point display bug…cosmetic not a big deal and probably not related to Win10. Slightly more annoying is an ALT-tab issue…in fullscreen mode if I try to ALT-tab away from GW2, unless I have another app open on the desktop, and I switch to the GW2 map display first, it will not switch to the desktop, just flash and cycle back to the GW2 screen. Seems to be happening with nVidia cards like mine. Other than that, smooth…FPS good, gameplay and stability similar to what I had on Win8.1.

Heya, you should try WinKey+Tab instead See if it helps..

Windows 10?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Windows 10?

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

Is anyone running on Windows 10, and if so what has been your experience? I’m on the fence about jumping boat so early but it seems there is at least working Nvidia drivers and I’m only playing this game at the moment anyway.

it works quite well for me

my GPU is running cooler than normal (only 70 degrees C compared to 82 before on wndows 8.1)
and FPS is up 15fps (running at 97fps instead of 82). i play on highest settings

so thats a good sign that my GPU can handle more than it could before now.

and windows 10 is to credit for that, being ALOT smaller than windows 8.1 in processor and RAM usage.

there are a few bugs yes, takes some tiem to get used to

but i’m happy with it!

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Windows 10?

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

#subscribe #15characters

Windows 10?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I have it and I’ve not noticed and incredible increase in performance. It works well, it’s very different from windows 7, which I upgraded from, apart from the normal driver installs, its been painless for the most part. My only grip with with Edge not letting me save pictures from the internet. It keeps telling me I don’t have permission to save them to any file on my pc, and that I need to contact the admin, I am the admin…….

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Windows 10?

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

my GPU is running cooler than normal (only 70 degrees C compared to 82 before on wndows 8.1)
and FPS is up 15fps (running at 97fps instead of 82). i play on highest settings

and windows 10 is to credit for that, being ALOT smaller than windows 8.1 in processor and RAM usage.

but i’m happy with it!

Noticed the same thing on my comp.

Windows 10?

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

but i’m happy with it!

Noticed the same thing on my comp.

…..the only bad news is

i need a new heater T.T
this thing is an icebox now…..i’m getting more heat from my Nintendo DS than i am from the computer

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Windows 10?

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

i’ve personally noticed shorter load times on HDD. yeah HDD, not SSD. it’s an old rig, AMD 965 black, 10k velociraptor, great when i built it back in the stone age. still runs GW2 fine though.

– The Baconnaire

Windows 10?

Posted by: AnClar.1304

AnClar.1304

Heya, you should try WinKey+Tab instead See if it helps..

Thanks but all that did was to crash my graphics driver. It’s not a big deal given that I know a workaround. Maybe nVidia will fix it in a driver update…others have been complaining about the issues with the nVidia Win10 driver.

Windows 10?

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I’ve been using it just fine, it’s faster than 8.1 although I do have to run in borderless fullscreen to be able to alt+tab easily. Honestly, I saw a performance increase as soon as I upgraded, and have no regrets. Plus, even though my card is getting older, it apparently supports directx 12.1 and that means due to the supposedly massive 60% performance increase over directx 11 I can hold off on replacing it for a good bit longer while still playing anything new coming out at pretty high settings.

The only situation in which I can imagine not taking advantage of the free upgrade are if you are running Windows 7 and getting such good performance that you see no point in improving it while at the same time not caring at all about playing any of the Directx 12 titles that will be arriving soon for the holiday season. So if you just built an expensive gaming rig running Windows 7 and don’t care about every playing anything but GW2 you might not want to upgrade. Otherwise, you’ll be upgrading. You might be waiting a little bit on the AMD driver situation but that’s about it.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Windows 10?

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

I installed Win 10 yesterday and it runs very smooth (better than win 8.1 did on my laptop). Played 4 hours of gw 2 today, no problems at all. I didnt even install new drivers yet, just the standard installed windows 10 ones. Must say with it that i dont run a Nvidia card but a AMD in the laptop.

(edited by Bolbo Baggins.8594)

Windows 10?

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I have it and I’ve not noticed and incredible increase in performance. It works well, it’s very different from windows 7, which I upgraded from, apart from the normal driver installs, its been painless for the most part. My only grip with with Edge not letting me save pictures from the internet. It keeps telling me I don’t have permission to save them to any file on my pc, and that I need to contact the admin, I am the admin…….

That is solved by fixing the owner of the drive. This is a common problem when changing OSs or swapping drives from one Windows system to another.

Needless to say, I did the upgrade and after having to wait 45 minutes for the system to boot up EVERY TIME, I decided to put my Win 7 Pro back on and I’ll wait about 6 months to try again.

I did find that the defaults for Windows 10 are very much alarming. I primarily needed to know if I can secure the system for the work place and what steps should be taken. I don’t need to support it just yet.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Windows 10?

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

A GW2 update was released on the same day as my upgrade so I can’t say for certain, but I feel like GW2 is running slightly better now.

If anything, it is not running worse. The Windows 10 upgrade has been smooth for me. I think it may have killed what ever process was minimizing my game before too, so that’s a bonus.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

I installed windows 10 yesterday.

From what I can tell you in every aspect it’s like Windows 7, however the it has the improoved Coding from Windows 8 which means better boot times(I think it takes me 20 seconds to boot up my PC, from the beep sound to being at the desktop though I use an SSD)

While the other thing is “in the future” DX12 games

There are no mayor compatibility issues and there is no reason not to update.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

Windows 10 runs fine for me. Almost no issues with it. Just make sure you turn off automitic sharing of the updates. So it doesen’t steal your banwidth. http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/30/windows-10-steals-your-bandwidth-to-send-other-people-updates/

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

(edited by Timelord.8190)

Windows 10?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i will wait a year or so, every new windows regardless of time spent testing and fixing isn’t worth it till a year later.

Windows 10?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I would recommend to wait till Microsoft removes their keyloggers and other nasty stuff or at least adds normal and convenient way to remove them from control panel.

Windows 10?

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I installed Windows 10 and the drivers automatically installed.

After all is done, I load up GW2

No issues what so ever.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Well since we have a year to decide, ill let you guys bug test it..and after all the smoke clears..then ill download it.

Windows 10?

BrotherBelial.3094

i will wait a year or so, every new windows regardless of time spent testing and fixing isn’t worth it till a year later.

It won’t still be free this time next year.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Windows 10?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

not officially no

Windows 10?

Posted by: Nimrod.9240

Nimrod.9240

I would recommend to wait till Microsoft removes their keyloggers and other nasty stuff or at least adds normal and convenient way to remove them from control panel.

Yeah, regarding privacy Win10 is a nightmare. But do not think they plan to remove that, selling your data is their buisness model after all.

https://imgur.com/iHge6RJ

You can disable some things but not all and you cant be sure if they still collect your data at some point regardless.

Windows 10?

BrotherBelial.3094

not officially no

What I would do, grab the upgrade, use something like Balarc advisor to grab the windows 10 key(it shows up as a windows 8.1 key in Balarc, I think that’s just Balarc not updating there.program yet to recognize windows 10) roll back to windows 7 or what ever it is you are using. Grab the ISO from windows and make a usb or DvD. As you can do fresh installs with it. MS have said you can. I think the key has a 3 time limit on it before you have to phone them. I would link where I read it, but it was on a random Tech site, and can’t for the life of me remember where I read it.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Yeah, regarding privacy Win10 is a nightmare. But do not think they plan to remove that, selling your data is their buisness model after all.

You can disable some things but not all and you cant be sure if they still collect your data at some point regardless.

Thank you for that link. We’ve now forbidden Win 10 from our home.

I’ll also bring this up to the guys so we are all brought up to speed and we can start searching for ways that firewalls and routers can block these blatant privacy holes.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Windows 10?

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Only issue I’m having so far is that on launching GW2 I get a rather loud burst of static before the sound starts playing normally.

Windows 10?

BrotherBelial.3094

That is solved by fixing the owner of the drive. This is a common problem when changing OSs or swapping drives from one Windows system to another.

Needless to say, I did the upgrade and after having to wait 45 minutes for the system to boot up EVERY TIME, I decided to put my Win 7 Pro back on and I’ll wait about 6 months to try again.

I did find that the defaults for Windows 10 are very much alarming. I primarily needed to know if I can secure the system for the work place and what steps should be taken. I don’t need to support it just yet.

Thanks for the tip. It was indeed that. I have no idea why that one folder had that problem. But its fixed now.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

I was part of the beta team for 10. I have been running 10 on my gaming machine since January. One of the earlier builds had a bad stutter in frame rate in April. They fixed the issue. So if you are able to update it is well worth it.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Zedd.8239

Zedd.8239

Performance seems to be about the same in Windows 10 for me. The biggest issue I’m having with GW2 in Windows 10 is the game will has a tendency to hard lock on me if I alt-tab out and then back in. It happens about 50% of the time. AMD video card. If I were to guess, I’d say this is most likely related to my video drivers.

There are far worse things that could be happening I suppose. It just makes checking things on the wiki a bit obnoxious. I tend to use my phone now instead, unless I forgot I’m not in Windows 7 anymore and then I’ll alt-tab out like an idiot…

(edited by Zedd.8239)

Windows 10?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Well that’s terribly disappointing, I’d heard so much good about 10, to hear its worse than Facebook, Google, and Apple all in one malevolent little package is frustrating.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Windows 10?

BrotherBelial.3094

Well that’s terribly disappointing, I’d heard so much good about 10, to hear its worse than Facebook, Google, and Apple all in one malevolent little package is frustrating.

It’s not as bad as people make out. You can turn most if not all of it off, in Pro you can anyway.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

thats right they give out OS for free so they can collect data for free and sell for money . This way they can make more money than selling the OS itself.

Windows 10?

Posted by: Zedd.8239

Zedd.8239

Pretty much all of that stuff is optional. Many features default to being enabled but it doesn’t take much effort to turn them off.

Windows 10?

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

tinfoil hatters crying about lack of privacy, that they already give up in their web browsers. As stated before, you can disable most of it, the rest can be dealt with by blocking IP’s in your router “IF” you have to…

but think of it this way… you have a butler… you tell him to make yourbreakfast, have your car ready, bring you the paper, drive you to work, pick you up, make you dinner etc… all without giving him any details… what time do you want breakfast and dinner? what car does he use? when do i take you to work and pick you up? what newspaper am i getting you?

turning off all that stuff in windows is exactly like that… you bark blanket orders at a subordinate, without any clarification, hes just gonna stand there… useless…. most of the basic things in these tinfoil hats opinions are exactly that… you want complete privacy? pull the cable out of your ethernet. you want to play in the public pool, you gotta shower and abide by the rules to do so. One of these two is your answer. good luck to you.

Windows 10?

BrotherBelial.3094

tinfoil hatters crying about lack of privacy, that they already give up in their web browsers. As stated before, you can disable most of it, the rest can be dealt with by blocking IP’s in your router “IF” you have to…

but think of it this way… you have a butler… you tell him to make yourbreakfast, have your car ready, bring you the paper, drive you to work, pick you up, make you dinner etc… all without giving him any details… what time do you want breakfast and dinner? what car does he use? when do i take you to work and pick you up? what newspaper am i getting you?

turning off all that stuff in windows is exactly like that… you bark blanket orders at a subordinate, without any clarification, hes just gonna stand there… useless…. most of the basic things in these tinfoil hats opinions are exactly that… you want complete privacy? pull the cable out of your ethernet. you want to play in the public pool, you gotta shower and abide by the rules to do so. One of these two is your answer. good luck to you.

QFT. Personally I don’t care. I get enough PPI calls and what not already, a few more are not going to hurt. Spam emails end up in the junk mail like they should. Using windows 10 is no worse than using Facebook, an iPhone, Steam, Origin, Google Crome etc.