Winter's Presence: JP req? :(

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

I don’t think the Op problem is about difficulty or aptitude/attitude towards the JP … she gets motion sickness by playing them …I used to had that with old 3d games and it is really annoying..to the point you have to completely stop … that’s kind of a hinder nor a see the solution … maybe some pills but that’s irresponsible lol

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The jumping puzzle is easy…if you’re the only one there. I can consistently get to the midpoint but getting up the presents is a nightmare since they disappear for everyone as soon as one person gets near them.

I hate pvp jumping puzzles. (Not pvp in the sense that I am attacking another player, but player against player in the sense that I am forced to compete against others to make sure I have a place to stand before things disappear).

If it was strictly timed like the Mad King Tower it’d be different. But this one has obstacles that disappear when a single player touches them. If they could find a way to code it so that the disappearing boxes/snowflakes were per player (or make it a solo instance) I would someday be able to make it to the end with practice.

I can’t practice the second half if everyone jumps the gun and doesn’t let me try.

Just saying, most players, including me, consider mad-king tower way harder than Wintersday JP…

True, I never managed to finish that one either, but the pacing on Mad King is faster. At least with the Wintersday one there’s a moment or two you can spare to get your jumps in (at least in the first part).

If I could ever get up the present stairs I’m sure I could finish it, but everyone runs ahead of me. People are antsy and don’t wait their turn.

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

Nothing says “Happy Wintersday” quite like this thread.

(edited by Supernaut.2684)

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Everyone’s annoyed.
Sounds like the holiday season to me.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Saying that the JP is easy is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Down-talking people who cannot complete it is plain harmful.

People in this game have different abilities. Some people can’t do such JPs because their reaction times are too slow, have poor co-ordination, their rigs/peripherals may not be great, they may have poor internet connection and high ping… some may have a disability that prevents them from completing things as easily as the average folk.

I have never completed the wintersday JP myself. My boyfriend has always had to do it for me. Jumping Puzzles aren’t even a part of the game that I greatly struggle with- open world JPs have always been pretty ok for me, apart from the aetherblade one.

My problem is that I can’t stand all the people around me. They’re distracting. The present part, I don’t want to jump ahead of them if it means they are guaranteed to fall down etc. The JP would still be difficult without the “competition” but at least it gets rid of a wildly varying factor that makes it almost impossible for me.

I guess I’ll try playing it during the early hours of the morning and hope that fewer folk are doing it.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Crimson, it’s certainly not the easiest of JP’s, but it’s short, you don’t die and get to go pretty much immediately again. If you stick to one path, you’ll get the timing pretty much down in a couple of tries.

As for the presents… There’s no place for empathy there :p
You jump as soon as that middle red gift appears and run for it. You can go left or right one row if the gifts start to wobble, but more than that is probably a miss.

Once up, dodge over the peppermint platform and don’t rush the snowball part. You have a decent time frame now.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

People in this game have different abilities. Some people can’t do such JPs because their reaction times are too slow, have poor co-ordination, their rigs/peripherals may not be great, they may have poor internet connection and high ping… some may have a disability that prevents them from completing things as easily as the average folk.

QFT

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I can guarantee that the JP will not be removed from being required. If the JP were removed, this would open the door for people to argue for everything else to be removed.

As far as rubber banding and latency, out your settings to the lowest and close all background programs. I have not had this issue so it’s something on your end whether it be your PC or your internet connection.

My advice for the presents is to jump as soon as they spawn. That’s what I started doing and I consistently get past them without any issue. Sometimes there’s a bad spawn but it’s rare. And yes, it’s very easy when there’s nobody there as you don’t have to wait until they respawn. It’s also the only time that it’s possible to get a perfect run of 16.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: cakemonkey.6347

cakemonkey.6347

QFT

This.

JPs have been a hot topic since game came out. The reality is, not everyone can do them. So locking content behind them is bad form. You’d have thought the developers would have figured that out.

But then look at the expansion.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

QFT

This.

JPs have been a hot topic since game came out. The reality is, not everyone can do them. So locking content behind them is bad form. You’d have thought the developers would have figured that out.

But then look at the expansion.

Content? Do you mean rewards?

cakemonkey.6347

I meant content. But I should have put it closer to the expansion comment vs. wintersday. But to be honest this game is so heavily focused on skins they’re almost the same thing.

I’ll get the JP done 3 times. I can do it. But unlike some I actually have some sympathy for those with medical conditions or just can’t do these in general. I have tendonitis in my right wrist and it can hurt like hell some times trying to get these things done. At least mine will cure in time unlike those with more serious issues arthritis or even see below.

I know someone who plays quite a bit with cerebral palsy. In a wheel chair with limited motor control. He can play the game just fine. Timed jumping puzzles like this one and clock tower are not cool for him. The halloween one – not a big deal because it’s not a prereq for anything.

People just fail to understand there are some in this game who cannot do these puzzles easy.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I’m surprised there isn’t more complaints about mastery points hidden behind JPs, which is a more core function right now. Shoulders are a luxury item.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

While I personally enjoy jumping puzzles it’s very odd to me that Anet expects everyone to be able to do them since out of everything in GW2 there is the largest number of people who are unable to complete them for a variety of reasons. Motion sickness, physical disability, slow reaction time, etc. The timed jumping puzzles are stressful even for me and I’ve done the ridiculous thing many times so far.

If Anet insists on having JPs be required to unlock nice pretty content like that shoulder piece, there ought to be an untimed version of the puzzle at the very least that more slowly finishes the achievement but allows everyone to finish.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Personally, I’m terrible at jumping puzzles. Most take me several tries, but if my fumbling fingers can get the diving achievement at the Aetherblade site, AND get the Going for the Gold achievement in Silverwastes while using a necromancer and no help from a mesmer, I can beat any jumping puzzle….eventually.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My stomach starts churning, I get dizzy, and then I have to log off completely and spend the rest of the evening trying not to throw up.

I can commiserate with this feeling. I have this issue with jumping puzzles as well if they are very twisty, or in enclosed places where the camera zoom ends up bouncing in and out. I have a bit less issue now thanks to some of the new camera controls; however, tight places still cause issues for me.

I don’t have much of an issue with this for Winter Wonderland, because it’s very open. The hard part for me is 1)getting the timing right and 2) not missing the jumps. I actually managed to complete WW for the very first time this morning after 3 years of attempting it (and I’m still buzzed about it).

Where are you having the most issue OP? With twisting through the snowflake platforms?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

While I personally enjoy jumping puzzles it’s very odd to me that Anet expects everyone to be able to do them since out of everything in GW2 there is the largest number of people who are unable to complete them for a variety of reasons. Motion sickness, physical disability, slow reaction time, etc. The timed jumping puzzles are stressful even for me and I’ve done the ridiculous thing many times so far.

If Anet insists on having JPs be required to unlock nice pretty content like that shoulder piece, there ought to be an untimed version of the puzzle at the very least that more slowly finishes the achievement but allows everyone to finish.

Well, why’re you surprised?

Many real collections skins are gated behind silver rank adventure, all of them all harder than this JP. (Go try Sanctum run and see what’s called time pressure rush)

They even expect you to get 1000g or 100 hours of grind for 10000 presents!
What else not to expect? Seems like many people here has a good credit card rdy that they worry about tiny effort more than the huge grind. Credit Card can solve most of the cost problem I guess. I even heard some people complaining about new Legendaries require a Chak Gerent kill, that he said he’s ok to pay 1000g for precursors, but not ok to fight a Chak Gerent. (This is before the bug fix and nerf of Gerent ofc)

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Crimson, it’s certainly not the easiest of JP’s, but it’s short, you don’t die and get to go pretty much immediately again. If you stick to one path, you’ll get the timing pretty much down in a couple of tries.

This is clearly false. Many of us have practiced for hours and not gotten it.

My record is 6 jumps. After that the snowflake disappears while I am slowly rotating the camera. Incidentally, I don’t have a mouse and cannot easily use one.

I’ve managed to do other JPs by slowly and methodically going through them. This one is timed, which makes it more difficult for me.

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

Yup, as a tip I recommend you to adjust camera rotation speed to a higher value, try doing the linear parts in one go so you can take your time on turns (some paths have more than others)

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Yup, as a tip I recommend you to adjust camera rotation speed to a higher value, try doing the linear parts in one go so you can take your time on turns (some paths have more than others)

I’ll try that. Is there a path that is straighter than the others?

I’m willing to put effort into this. I just can’t stand the attitude that I must be lazy if I can’t do it.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Well, why’re you surprised?

Many real collections skins are gated behind silver rank adventure, all of them all harder than this JP. (Go try Sanctum run and see what’s called time pressure rush)

They even expect you to get 1000g or 100 hours of grind for 10000 presents!
What else not to expect? Seems like many people here has a good credit card rdy that they worry about tiny effort more than the huge grind. Credit Card can solve most of the cost problem I guess. I even heard some people complaining about new Legendaries require a Chak Gerent kill, that he said he’s ok to pay 1000g for precursors, but not ok to fight a Chak Gerent. (This is before the bug fix and nerf of Gerent ofc)

I’ve gotten silver on that Sanctum run adventure and I used to do the Mad King Clocktower for fun so I’m fairly familiar with time pressure. I’m aware that many things are gated behind this kind of content, and I’m not surprised (I never said I was surprised?) that this was the case.

I am stating that it shouldn’t be a requirement in the way that it is, or that there should be an alternative since there are many people who can’t do these things due to irl stuff, even if it’s as simple as not having a mouse.

The difference between doing JPs and getting a ridiculous amount of drinks is that anybody can get gold. Not everyone has the resources irl to do JPs.

cakemonkey.6347

The difference between doing JPs and getting a ridiculous amount of drinks is that anybody can get gold. Not everyone has the resources irl to do JPs.

Well said. Also agree with your untimed version suggestion.

(edited by cakemonkey.6347)

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Well, after trying many many times to complete the WD JP last year and failed, I can see that these shoulders will not be available for me. I’ve never even done it one time let alone 3.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Well, after trying many many times to complete the WD JP last year and failed, I can see that these shoulders will not be available for me. I’ve never even done it one time let alone 3.

Have you tried the different routes? I started at one and was getting totally demolished by it. The game timer expired and reset, which put me on a different route. This one was MUCH easier for me to complete. I had no idea there were different paths before that.

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

I really don’t get what all the complaints are about? It’s been the same for three years just because they tied an item to it? Just do the kitten puzzle you’re bound to get it. I ran it 3x in about 10min. This puzzle is easy compared to some in the current game or previous celebrations ex. mad kings clocktower.

Because doing the Jumping Puzzles literally ( in the correct usage of the word) make me physically ill. Physically ill as in dizzy, nauseous, and sometimes even throwing up.
That’s why.
This is not a, “this is too hard, make it easy for me” post. It is a “this activity makes me have to log off the game and try not to throw up, so please give me an alternative achievement” request.

Posted by: Rufus.2651

Rufus.2651

I really don’t get what all the complaints are about? It’s been the same for three years just because they tied an item to it? Just do the kitten puzzle you’re bound to get it. I ran it 3x in about 10min. This puzzle is easy compared to some in the current game or previous celebrations ex. mad kings clocktower.

Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean others can. Some have issues that pretty much make this an impossibility.

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Have you turned off motion blur, camera shake, and set camera rotation sensitivity to maximum? You won’t get the motion sickness since your turns will be in sync with your character.

yes, yes, yes..I get motion sickness from it anyway, it’s the going round and round , and up and down, and falling, rinse and repeat of it. I also get motion sickness with first person camera games. I used to at least be able to play Minecraft, because I could take my time. I can’t even do that anymore, for more than 10-15 minutes.
There are some vistas in game I cannot get to without a mesmer port, because of the motions required to get at them.

Posted by: Rufus.2651

Rufus.2651

I’m surprised there isn’t more complaints about mastery points hidden behind JPs, which is a more core function right now. Shoulders are a luxury item.

The mastery points hidden behind JP’s aren’t as bad because they are not timed. You can take your time with those.

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Have you turned off motion blur, camera shake, and set camera rotation sensitivity to maximum? You won’t get the motion sickness since your turns will be in sync with your character.

I was reminded why I disliked camera shake today when the game reset my settings for no reason and my game felt like a massive nonstop earthquake during tequatl. XD I could see that making someone sick if that’s goin on during JP. ;o
The default camera rotation is also pretty awful. Feels like everythings in slow motion or underwater.
Action Camera also makes a pretty big difference since your character autoturns in all directions w/o backpeddling/sidestrifing and you can turn camera even faster.

Action camera..ugh. That makes it even worse for me.
I was so hopeful for that, but when I actually tried it, it felt like my stomach was going to turn inside out…and that was within seconds.

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

jumping puzzles just arent my thing, its a shame that anet has to put this as a requirement for the winters presence

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

Yeah, I have a job and can’t spend all day grinding to get the 10K drinks, much less do jump puzzles where things dissolve below your feet before you get confident about jumping to the next snowflake. I’d love to have the skin, but find it unattainable for me at this time.

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

3 years and ive never completed the wintersday puzzle. and not for lack of trying. ive sunk endless hours into it and this year is the first time ive even made it to the present wall.

Wait a minute there’s “Presents” in the JP I’ve never got pass the snow flakes.

I do agree with Kitty about the alternate way to get the pieces and parts for the items.
Like when you take the mini angry chest to the Charr in lions and journey around Tyria to get the mini red spark…. just a thought…

I would LOVE a scavenger hunt like that. Maybe, instead of requiring a set of specific achievements, we could have like we do with the dailies. We need to complete X amount of achievements from this pool. That way, it’s still something you really need to be dedicated to doing, but you can choose which achievements to complete.

…and NO, I do not want to see these awesome skins in the shop. I truly believe we should have to earn them. I just want to see a change that would make it possible, with enough effort.

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

I don’t think the Op problem is about difficulty or aptitude/attitude towards the JP … she gets motion sickness by playing them …I used to had that with old 3d games and it is really annoying..to the point you have to completely stop … that’s kind of a hinder nor a see the solution … maybe some pills but that’s irresponsible lol

I actually went out and purchased anti motion sickness pills today.
Even if they work, I shouldn’t have to take a pill for one aspect of a game /headdesk
Keeping my fingers crossed though.

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Please Anet; could you give us an alternative achievement to do for this section?
I’m not asking for it to be easier; I’m just asking for it to be possible to complete without getting sick.

I think lowering the number from 3 to 1 should be more than enough… I really mean no offense to you or anyone else who suffers from motion sickness… but if anet were to lower achievements for cosmetic items due to a health complaint, there would be little to no grind for anything.

E.g.
Headaches from frustration having to play 10+ games of Ranked PvP a day to put a dent into the Legendary PvP backpiece.

I use to get motion sickness when I was younger from playing PC games.

Some things that I did that helped
1) If you’re using a 3D monitor, get rid of it…. get a nice refresh rate LCD or LED monitor.

2) Try to modify your settings, even though it may not be pretty, having things look a little more flat would be beneficial for you.

3) Take some medication, obviously people are going to scream “I SHOULDN’T HAVE TO TAKE MEDICINE TO PLAY A GAME”

Ok, but I take 2 Tylenol before i go into a PvP frenzy… just from how frustrating people can be and the idiocy in map chat.

If it’s something you really want, you’re going to have to end up making some type of sacrifice to acquire it. I really want the PvP Legendary Back Piece, and I have no problems sacrificing a bottle-two of Tylenol to grind my way through leagues.

In regards to the shoulder skin, I do think anet should be reasonable and make it a complete once and done.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

It’s not really that simple. For some players, JPs aren’t something they’re going to “just get” no matter how many times they do it. Some just don’t have the aptitude for it and no amount of time thrown at it is going to change that.

Also, “easy” is a subjective term. For plenty, this puzzle isn’t “easy” compared to others at all.

Just sayin’.

Yea. I’m not the best a JPs but I can get them done if I can reposition/realign myself once in a while. It might be really “ezpz” for some people but for me getting through in one go is difficult.

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Please Anet; could you give us an alternative achievement to do for this section?
I’m not asking for it to be easier; I’m just asking for it to be possible to complete without getting sick.

I think lowering the number from 3 to 1 should be more than enough… I really mean no offense to you or anyone else who suffers from motion sickness… but if anet were to lower achievements for cosmetic items due to a health complaint, there would be little to no grind for anything.

E.g.
Headaches from frustration having to play 10+ games of Ranked PvP a day to put a dent into the Legendary PvP backpiece.

I use to get motion sickness when I was younger from playing PC games.

Some things that I did that helped
1) If you’re using a 3D monitor, get rid of it…. get a nice refresh rate LCD or LED monitor.

2) Try to modify your settings, even though it may not be pretty, having things look a little more flat would be beneficial for you.

3) Take some medication, obviously people are going to scream “I SHOULDN’T HAVE TO TAKE MEDICINE TO PLAY A GAME”

Ok, but I take 2 Tylenol before i go into a PvP frenzy… just from how frustrating people can be and the idiocy in map chat.

If it’s something you really want, you’re going to have to end up making some type of sacrifice to acquire it. I really want the PvP Legendary Back Piece, and I have no problems sacrificing a bottle-two of Tylenol to grind my way through leagues.

In regards to the shoulder skin, I do think anet should be reasonable and make it a complete once and done.

That’s the thing though. I’m not asking for a nerf at all, just some alternatives to choose from. I did buy some anti motion-sickness pills, and they do help.

3D monitor? LMAO! Never, never, would I get one of those things. I can’t even go to an IMAX movie, why would I want to torture myself, lol?

Funny thing…I don’t get motion sickness at all, if I’m actually in motion, like cars or planes, or even amusement park rides. It’s just visual stuff.