World bosses and -escaping- after timer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

So (almost all of) the world bosses now have a timer on which you have to complete them. It’s disputable if that’s a good solution or not, but it’s not what I’m adressing here.
What I want to adress here is what happens when the timer reaches 0.

When the timer reaches 0, the boss simply escapes. It runs away. Why?
The boss is supposed to win if we don’t kill it within the timer, so why does it run away?
If it runs away that means we win. Our objective is to rid the world of the world boss and that’s exactly what happens when they escape.

It does make sense for the Marionette since it kills us as part of a weapons test. The ship is there regardless and Scarlet hoists the marionette up to repair it and get it ready for the next scheduled weapons test. That ending is quite decent. However for other bosses, that isn’t true.

What I would like to see instead would be that the world boss stays in the world. It doesn’t need to be killable, not until the next “session”. But it should stay in the world and basically say “This is mine now, back off” until killed.

This could be done by making the boss invulnurable to damage in between the “sessions”. That could be explained by the boss getting enraged or something along those lines. Perhaps the boss gets a shield.
When the next “session” is up, the boss has calmed down or it’s shield needs recharging, making it killable.
For the wurms, especially, it could be solved by the gunpowder running out, the toxin clouds blowing away and the bait husks not spawning, since they are naturally invulnurable anyways.

The bosses will try to kill anyone in the area and send (killable) minions after them. Close waypoints can be contested.
That tells you that the boss owns the land, which makes it harder to pass through.

If that happened, the boss would win when the timer is over and it would feel alot more realistic. It would also have a little more impact on the world.
It would also give the timer a reason to exist, which I currently don’t think it has.
Currently the timer makes no sense.

EDIT: Low population servers worry not. It would not make the area inaccessible. It would be a little harder, sure, but there’s nothing of interest around the bosses anyways. The POIs and waypoints etc for world completion are far enough from the bosses for it to still be possible to get even if you have a 100% boss uptime.

(edited by Mikuchan.7261)

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I am in favor of having all world bosses oneshot anyone within X range if the timer runs out.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I like your idea OP, but I’m not against the above either.
If the boss isn’t killed the boss should win in some way. Probably best if they killed all players fighting it. As that would kind of make the most sense.

But I’m not against the boss sticking around and becoming invulnerable, but able to attack anyone who walks by til the next timer. That could be interesting. But could be an issue in servers where the boss never gets killed, make that area always unsafe.

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

I like your idea OP, but I’m not against the above either.
If the boss isn’t killed the boss should win in some way. Probably best if they killed all players fighting it. As that would kind of make the most sense.

But I’m not against the boss sticking around and becoming invulnerable, but able to attack anyone who walks by til the next timer. That could be interesting. But could be an issue in servers where the boss never gets killed, make that area always unsafe.

I see your concern with low population servers.
But the most trouble it would create for people would be that it’s harder to access the area. It shouldn’t be impossible to get 100% map completion because of it of course. But it would make it a bit harder around that area. What it mostly does is to give more realism to losing a boss fight and it would give an actual reason for the timer to exist.
No pois or waypoints etc are close enough to a boss for it to become impossible.