Would you rather...

Would you rather...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

…do one really hard thing that takes you a lot of effort, or hundreds of little things that don’t?

I find myself questioning the logic behind some of the achievements in Guild Wars 2. What is the reason why they seem to lean towards making archivement that require seemingly endless amounts of repeatative tasks, over ones that take time and dedication?

I suppose this is just a general question to all of you. Why do you think they make achievements based around doing the same thing many repeatedly, opposed to making one or a few smaller, yet more difficult tasks?

Would you rather...

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Personally I would rather do one thing that is really hard and takes a lot of effort.

But the person next to me would rather do a hundred little things that don’t require much effort, so it’s best to make both so neither of us feel neglected.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Would you rather...

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

One takes talent and skill, the other takes time. I will always gravitate towards rewarding those with the talent and skill over the people mindlessly farming content for hours.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Would you rather...

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Skiiiiilllllzzzz

Would you rather...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you’re thinking of achievements like Slayer (Kill X each enemy) and Weapon Master (X kills with each weapon) I think they’re intended more to track your progress than as something you actually work towards.

I haven’t actually put any effort into any of them but in 618 hours of play I’ve maxed out Centaur Slayer, Bandit Slayer and Zhaitan’s Bane and made at least some progress in all the others. Just because in the course of playing normally I’m going to be killing enemies and using weapons to do it.

Same with things like Combat Healer (heal allies), Emergency Response Hero (do dynamic events) and Teamwork Gets It Done (do combos). It’s all stuff you actually can’t avoid doing unless you spend all your time standing in LA. So you don’t need to work towards it – sooner or later you’ll get it anyway and the achievement is just an interesting footnote that you have.

On the other hand there are also plenty of achievements which require effort and (arguably) skill to complete. Like the Boss, Jumping Puzzle and Explorer achievements.

So they’ve got a bit of both and you can either pick and choose the ones you want, or go for both and as I’ve said you’ll get a lot of the repetitive ones without actually having to devote time to it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Would you rather...

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

One takes talent and skill, the other takes time. I will always gravitate towards rewarding those with the talent and skill over the people mindlessly farming content for hours.

Same, but it’s clear that GW2 is going other way (dungeon nerfs, fotm changes, no new challenging content)

Would you rather...

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Here’s a revolutionary idea. Why not reward both equally dependent on time spent and difficulty to please every one?

Would you rather...

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The major problem about skill in a gaming world is thakittens still just a game all the skill in the world should not truly effect your pve play because its made to be fun. That what video games are an illusion of having done something hard but in truth you just did a pre program event.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Would you rather...

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Balance.

Why have us choose, when we could have both?

Would you rather...

Posted by: Cristobal.8640

Cristobal.8640

The major problem about skill in a gaming world is thakittens still just a game all the skill in the world should not truly effect your pve play because its made to be fun. That what video games are an illusion of having done something hard but in truth you just did a pre program event.

You need to try Dark Souls.

For many of us “Fun” PvE is actually challenging PvE, meaning that it should require skill.

Would you rather...

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

For many of us “Fun” PvE is actually challenging PvE, meaning that it should require skill.

lol..die, die, die again, die some more, die, die, yay! success!, die die die, die again, die some more, yay! success!!, die die die… Brutal game, feels good when you suceed but i can’t count how many times I rage quit.

I like a little of both. I love killing tons of mobs with umpunity cause it makes me feel all powerful but sometime I love really challeging content. I agree that most of GW2 PvE is faceroll easy for hard core gamers but I don’t think all the casuals think it is. Anet is trying to make a game everyone can play and I applaud them for that but their biggest challenge is going to be how to keep the hardcore players engaged.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Would you rather...

Cristobal.8640

lol..die, die, die again, die some more, die, die, yay! success!, die die die, die again, die some more, yay! success!!, die die die… Brutal game, feels good when you suceed but i can’t count how many times I rage quit.

I like a little of both. I love killing tons of mobs with umpunity cause it makes me feel all powerful but sometime I love really challeging content. I agree that most of GW2 PvE is faceroll easy for hard core gamers but I don’t think all the casuals think it is. Anet is trying to make a game everyone can play and I applaud them for that but their biggest challenge is going to be how to keep the hardcore players engaged.

By making a hardcore server. Just one. Give us something like costume brawl mode but the real deal, give us Guild Wars (pun unintended), and just put some modifiers to all mobs, more damage, more health, less skill delay, more active use of skill, bigger aggro range, more speed, etc. No need to make anything new really, just make a new server, tweak a few things and we’re set.

Would you rather...

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

Skiiiiilllllzzzz

Yes, but do said skillz pay the billz?

Why you bein’ cute?

Would you rather...

randomfightfan.4091

Great game with a great back story but terrible TERRIBLE quest tracking and explanation of what’s going on and what you are doing. By terrible I mean non-existant. I played the game, fumbling around, just trying to figure out what to do. Never once found out what I was supposed to do but every once in a while I’d find a boss, kill it, then something would happen that meant nothing to me. I finished with 2 or 3 lord souls gathered then just gave up because I had no idea where to go to next and was tired of fumbling in the dark.

I played until I had killed every single boss (I even fumbled my way into figuring out how to get back to the asylum and kill those guys), still didn’t finish the game, then got so frustrated and how lost the game felt that I just quit playing. I later found out that the seemingly useless item I had picked up (in some random location that I have no recollection of visiting), it would have allowed me to go to the painted world (which I had no idea that it existed or its significance).

If a player feels that lost after roughly 30 hours of gameplay with hours wasted just re-visiting the npcs, trying to figure out what the hell is going on, then you know there’s something wrong. The difficulty was fine, the combat was fine, but having nothing explain and everything being a trail by error just didn’t seem right.

With all that said, what is the point of being in human form when being hallowed does the exact same thing. If the game explained a few things I probably would have finished it but not knowing what the heck is going on is a very annoying feeling.

Would you rather...

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

…do one really hard thing that takes you a lot of effort, or hundreds of little things that don’t?

I find myself questioning the logic behind some of the achievements in Guild Wars 2. What is the reason why they seem to lean towards making archivement that require seemingly endless amounts of repeatative tasks, over ones that take time and dedication?

I suppose this is just a general question to all of you. Why do you think they make achievements based around doing the same thing many repeatedly, opposed to making one or a few smaller, yet more difficult tasks?

I’d rather do a hundred little things that don’t, i come to play games to relax lay back and not think too hard, i do not want to get upset and frustrated at games because everything is too painful.. that defeats the purpose of gaming..

As for achievements if i get one woopeedo if i don’t i don’t care, useless meaningless drivel to me.

Would you rather...

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I like that there are achievements of both kinds.

The repetitive ones (slayer, weapon mastery, …) will come naturally, although when I get close sometimes I feel like crunching it, even though that makes little sense. You can work towards them, but you don’t have to…

The skill based ones (jumping puzzles, SAB completion, dungeon master…) I also do, although if all achievements were so hard, ugh.

I also like the fact that you can basically just play the game and some achievements will randomly pop up. Overall a good balance, I think…. (Even though some weapon mastery ones take forever, especially on a class withough dps as a main focus who when playing in a group, more often than not won’t be the person to deliver the killing blow.)

Would you rather...

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

The repetitive ones (slayer, weapon mastery, …) will come naturally, although when I get close sometimes I feel like crunching it, even though that makes little sense. You can work towards them, but you don’t have to…

I agree for the most part but I don’t think anyone could complete the Giant slayer with working for it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Would you rather...

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I agree for the most part but I don’t think anyone could complete the Giant slayer with working for it.

Well, yeah, Giant Slayer being the exception.

Would you rather...

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

By making a hardcore server. Just one. Give us something like costume brawl mode but the real deal, give us Guild Wars (pun unintended), and just put some modifiers to all mobs, more damage, more health, less skill delay, more active use of skill, bigger aggro range, more speed, etc. No need to make anything new really, just make a new server, tweak a few things and we’re set.

But exactly how would such a server fit in to the WvW scheme? We can’t purposely frontload every hardcore player on to a single server and then throw them in to the WvW rankings.

Would you rather...

Cristobal.8640

But exactly how would such a server fit in to the WvW scheme? We can’t purposely frontload every hardcore player on to a single server and then throw them in to the WvW rankings.

Make it a server that is only accesible through guesting and doesn’t participate in WvW? Something like that.

Would you rather...

randomfightfan.4091

Make it a server that is only accesible through guesting and doesn’t participate in WvW? Something like that.

Or have a server where the actually skilled players go so you might actually see some skilled play in wvw (sounds impossible I know). Is a great theory until the majority of band-wagoners jump to said server and flood it with noobs (who die instantly and repeatedly to the pve content) who want to win at wvw without thinking.

Would you rather...

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

To a point but most ppl would call Dark souls the easy version of demon souls. The hook to that game is that it seems hard but once you work out how the mobs move most of the fight become simple. That just part of playing a game once you see the trick you win.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Would you rather...

Sovta.4719

I think another boss nerf topic on dungeon section answers this topic, and sad thing is that nerf is probably coming.

Would you rather...

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

I prefer meaningful achievements, not dumb XBox achievements that congratulate me for breathing every day or going to the bathroom.

I liked these titles:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Titles#List_of_titles

Would you rather...

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I prefer doing stuff that really takes skill and effort.

It’s dumb that GW2 rewards you literally for everything – talk to NPC +1 Achievement point. Really? Chop down some trees +1.

Would you rather...

Sovta.4719

I prefer doing stuff that really takes skill and effort.

It’s dumb that GW2 rewards you literally for everything – talk to NPC +1 Achievement point. Really? Chop down some trees +1.

But….but……that NPC tells me i’m awesome!!!! ;(
Kidding, but really most of the players that want harder content and are still in GW2 is cause of: 1) friends, guilds
2) waiting for something else, killing time