Healing support need's improvement

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I love this game so much, but it really is DPS or gtfo. That’s part of the reason that berserker is so popular of a stat distribution; it’s like instead of going for healer/tank/dps trinity, they just tossed out tank and healer and made everyone homogenous. At the end of the day, our dungeons end up looking like WoW’s 5 man runs, except with only the 3 dps =D Which is amusing in its own right, I suppose…

As you can probably tell, I’m not a fan of GW2’s dungeon/group setup because of the lack of roles beyond
-DPS
-less DPS and some tiny amount of support, but still mostly just DPS.
Buuuut that’s ok. That’s why I play multiple MMOs. GW2 dungeoning isn’t for me, so I don’t play it for the dungeoning. I PvP and do open world stuff, and I get my dungeon antics in other games. With the new PvP change allowing me to get dungeon skins from sPVP, that makes it even easier to keep this setup.

Though I will say that despite my extremely vocal opposition to trinity in the past, at this point I’d take that in a heartbeat over what we have now. :-\ But that’s just me.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I think a big problem with DPS is because it scales so aggressively and well. If Precision, Power, Condi Damage (For PvP) and Ferocity were toned down in how they scale, it would bring more balanced math to the game and allow more build diversity because they don’t overshadow everything else.

Posted by: Drakent.9605

Drakent.9605

There no problem with the dps , The only one reason dps is the “king” is not b/c it makes dungeon run faster or is better

If you stop to think about in the history of MMO-RPG gaming the larges population of the players in the game have been dps even the ppl who choose to play as a tank or a healer only did it b/c they felt obligated to do so.

The true ppl who choose to be either a healer or a tank , anything close to a support like play style was about 10% of population

This is why there is a few ppl that agree with me but more that disagree with me,
Not b/c I am wrong but because is a disagreement of support vs dps and support players are the minority on this game

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And as demonstrated in the videos I posted it’s very easy to do any dungeon with 5 healer characters and do it without even dodging, while only using auto attacks. Why do you say 4 dps and 1 healer isn’t “doable”, because it certainly is. And it is a lot smoother indeed.

Yes a video of 5 cleric gear equip not 4 dps and 1 healer. 5 ppl using cleric will make any group barely get a scratch on there HP just with Regeneration tick and auto attack healing effect from weapon and food effect with out the need of using any healing spells

1 healer does not work b/c the healing alone is gimpy, alone you heal about 20% of ppl HP every 10 sec that is to low to keep any person half alive when mobs are able to take down 60% of your HP under 5 sec

… let me see if i understood. You want to buff healing to the point where one healer and 4 pure dps will be equal to the 5 clerics mentioned before? And you want the healer to be able to keep up with dps-ing?
I am sorry, but… do you even realize the consequences of what you just proposed?

Imagine now such hypothetical situation: You get the healer you wanted, and pair him not with pure dps group, but with 4 of the 5 abovementioned Cleric healtanks.
Then you hit 1 and go make a coffee. When you get back Lupi is dead.

If that’s what you really ask for (and i see no other way of interpreting your proposals), then i have to say no, thank you. I sincerely hope that your dream will never come to be.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I dont understand how I come across as that. I am a person who is willing to tell a person that they should use a different skill/build/whatever for any encounter for its strengths rather than You play how you want, let others play how they want.

You are telling them to play how you want. What’s so wrong in letting others play how they want? I surely don’t tell you how to play, nor should I tell you how to. If you ask for suggestions, yes I can give some. But I am in no place to dictate the “proper way” to play GW2, because such a thing doesn’t really exist (the meta is not the “right” way to play GW2, but just one of the more efficient/fastest ways to do so.)

Not every player has the same goals you do, and that doesn’t make them automatically “bad”. You should bear that in mind. Not every player that runs “bad gear” does so because he loves “gimping himself/herself” or is being “selfish”-sometimes it’s just what he/she likes and does well with (I kid you not… not every player must follow the meta.)

I said nothing about meta/fastest/ why do you people keep bringing that up. I said should use a different skill/build/whatever for any encounter for its strengths

If healing/peeing/swimming/dancing/w.e is best option I rec it. I said nothing of bad gear.

I have a simple scenario and this whole talk with me will be done.

Person enters dungeon naked. Would you not say “hey umm put on some clothes ?” and if that person said no you would happily keep doing the dungeon with said person because play how you like?

Why that scenario? I have encountered it numerous times.

Actually you know what you disgust me. Your thinking encourage those people that join groups not meeting requirements and trolls. I slave away learning encounters, watching videos, learning skills, DOING MATH!!!, just so when I join a party I can do my very best for said group and youre saying F that yolo and you should like it.

Also I never said they have to my words were “should” a recommendation, whether they follow it is up to them.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Healing Power does not need to be stronger for allied healing

1. Self heals already do a lot.

2. They’d have to have a reason to buff it due to PvP and WvW encounters. So either the other offensive stats get a boost or skills get a boost. So that fights don’t last for forever and a day.

3. If 2 should happen, it would likely make healers necessary in order to not die if you didn’t have them. And we the players are very vocal about not wanting that. Not having to have a person be a specific role.

People who want to speed clear dungeons make their groups and specify it in ways that let people know: we want to do this as fast as is possible. Have a meta build or gtfo.

People who want to run whatever build should group together and let the speed clear groups live in peace. They’re playing how they want to play. If you want them to let you play how you want to play, don’t try to force them to play how you want to play.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

okay, I still think you are completely wrong on that whole healing others thing :P but I can agree with you on the general stat problem. I already have recently argued in another thread that the extremely wonky scaling is really the source of GW2´s dps/zerker tyranny. Power and Precision scale really good (not sure yet of the new ferocity) AND synergize with each other. Other stats scale very bad. I really don´t want woosh woosh stand in the corner healers, but am no against more stat diversity. The diminishing returns of all stats should be re-evalued and adjusted – but of cause that would cause a massive backlash in the player community. Not sure if anet really would like to put up with this :P

Tyranny? Something is only a tyranny if those suffering from it have no choice.

Also, with regard to stats. You’re claiming that power and precision scale better than other stats. This is incorrect. Damage and defense scale fairly equally. The preponderance of survival and bunker builds in PvP modes and the claims that the Ferocity decrease killed GC builds in WvW demonstrate this. Perhaps you meant to say that Pow/Pre/Fer have better synergy with each other. While they do have synergy, so too do toughness and vitality. Healing power can also synergize with Tou/Vit but there is no set with the three stats.

You also claim that there are diminishing returns on stats. While there are, the only DR on stats is that which occurs naturally when adding additional increments increases the total benefit provided by the stat by a smaller percentage each time. This is not a problem, it is both expected and unavoidable, as it is the way mathematics work. It also applies to power. If you’d like to demonstrate additional DR beyond that, please feel free to reply, but please bring math to the party.

Drakent.9605

And as demonstrated in the videos I posted it’s very easy to do any dungeon with 5 healer characters and do it without even dodging, while only using auto attacks. Why do you say 4 dps and 1 healer isn’t “doable”, because it certainly is. And it is a lot smoother indeed.

Yes a video of 5 cleric gear equip not 4 dps and 1 healer. 5 ppl using cleric will make any group barely get a scratch on there HP just with Regeneration tick and auto attack healing effect from weapon and food effect with out the need of using any healing spells

1 healer does not work b/c the healing alone is gimpy, alone you heal about 20% of ppl HP every 10 sec that is to low to keep any person half alive when mobs are able to take down 60% of your HP under 5 sec

… let me see if i understood. You want to buff healing to the point where one healer and 4 pure dps will be equal to the 5 clerics mentioned before? And you want the healer to be able to keep up with dps-ing?
I am sorry, but… do you even realize the consequences of what you just proposed?

Imagine now such hypothetical situation: You get the healer you wanted, and pair him not with pure dps group, but with 4 of the 5 abovementioned Cleric healtanks.

If that’s what you really ask for (and i see no other way of interpreting your proposals), then i have to say no, thank you. I sincerely hope that your dream will never come to be.

No, this is you over reacting and blowing things out of proportion

what I am expecting is a fair healing system something that works

Drakent.9605

2. They’d have to have a reason to buff it due to PvP and WvW encounters. So either the other offensive stats get a boost or skills get a boost. So that fights don’t last for forever and a day.

3. If 2 should happen, it would likely make healers necessary in order to not die if you didn’t have them. And we the players are very vocal about not wanting that. Not having to have a person be a specific role.

People who want to speed clear dungeons make their groups and specify it in ways that let people know: we want to do this as fast as is possible. Have a meta build or gtfo.

People who want to run whatever build should group together and let the speed clear groups live in peace. They’re playing how they want to play. If you want them to let you play how you want to play, don’t try to force them to play how you want to play.

1) self healing is fine as long you have the proper set up on your self, out healing is crap.

2) I don’t know much about pvp or spvp or wvw b/c I don’t do it but in pve for certain group set up, support healing is not good enough

3) We the player and I am talking as we as more like us to does who are interested on being more support then just dps have been asking for improvement on this part of the game for a while now

I am down for play as you like which is the reason why I cant understand why so many ppl are against they idea of being of a support player and are behaving with the mentality of let every one be responsible for they own and stop wasting time being a support

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

1) self healing is fine as long you have the proper set up on your self, out healing is crap.

2) I don’t know much about pvp or spvp or wvw b/c I don’t do it but in pve for certain group set up, support healing is not good enough

3) We the player and I am talking as we as more like us to does who are interested on being more support then just dps have been asking for improvement on this part of the game for a while now

I am down for play as you like which is the reason why I cant understand why so many ppl are against they idea of being of a support player and are behaving with the mentality of let every one be responsible for they own and stop wasting time being a support

The thing is if no one, not even a group of bads fighting the best group in the game, is easily killable due to the healing skills than there’s a huge problem.

Because the self-heals are as powerful as they are, it does not lead to there needing to be powerful group heals. Chances are if they buff the group heals, the self heals will take a hit.

People are already complaining about how killing other players takes forever due to the downed state. Imagine their complaints if suddenly they aren’t dying as quickly because of the healing. It’s why finishers got added to the game. To quickly end downed state in PvP settings.

Yes, it could use some work, but it doesn’t need to become something that is the main focus of a build.

Drakent.9605

The thing is if no one, not even a group of bads fighting the best group in the game, is easily killable due to the healing skills than there’s a huge problem.

Because the self-heals are as powerful as they are, it does not lead to there needing to be powerful group heals. Chances are if they buff the group heals, the self heals will take a hit.

People are already complaining about how killing other players takes forever due to the downed state. Imagine their complaints if suddenly they aren’t dying as quickly because of the healing. It’s why finishers got added to the game. To quickly end downed state in PvP settings.

Yes, it could use some work, but it doesn’t need to become something that is the main focus of a build.

For what you are telling me is that healing is fine in pvp so making it better for pve will make it OP in pvp . I am sure there easy way to make healing stronger in pve with out effecting pvp. Kinda how they nerf retaliation for pvp by 33% but kept unchanged in pve, they could do the same for healing effect , buff it pve but just keep unchanged for pvp

(edited by Drakent.9605)

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

You don’t need to scale healing up, because you already gave self heals, passive, and active defense.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, this is you over reacting and blowing things out of proportion

what I am expecting is a fair healing system something that works

Please define what you mean by that, if it’s not what i assumed it means in my post before. And then please explain how do you think it would affect the 5-man cleric and 4-man cleric 1-man healer groups from my examples.
Because you are talking a lot about “fairness” and “working”, but you don’t seem to have a clear understanding of what that would mean in the curent system.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

i play a shout heal warrior, a mandra healing mesmer, a shout symbol healing guardian. All of them more or less use some zerker gear. i am happy to take them going any dungeon. i dont spec for max dps but i can hold my weight, while also able to help the party mange HP a bit.

Party members more or less needs to take care themselves but when their own heal is not quite enough, my heal is there to help them get it through. i dont see any of my heal is broken or useless.

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Imho, apart from an eventual better scaling in some cases (something that would require a careful examination of the skills involved beforehand, anyway) they should change its role in a sort of “support power” and make defensive active skills scale with it on a certain extent.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

My question is, if Anet didn’t want healing to be a major focal point, why introduce a stat like healing power? The stat itself is largely pointless because investing too much into it would mean sacrificing your dps, which is the bread and butter of this game. Also, most healing skills perform fine without it and the scaling is really poor for the most part.

I’m all for destroying the typical MMO trinity, but to me it doesn’t make sense to have stats in a game that are useful for specific build roles, only to then make those roles ineffective and thus, the stats along with them.

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

BINGO! You nailed it. Out healing IS CRAP! And it is working as intended? Why? Because ANet doesn’t want a “dedicated healer” role in any group. You can support, you just can’t be a healer.

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

In order for healing to be good you have to go towards having a dedicated healing role. It is like passive defense. If you want passive defense to be worth more you have to nerf active defense and support aggressively since they are the reason why you don’t want passive defense in the first place since active defense and support abilities are stronger in every way. And that is part of the design really. In other MMORPGs other classes don’t have self heals or very low heals. Therefore, the importance of healing is greater regardless of the amount since at some point you need to heal a bit during a fight (think passive signet heals). GW2 isn’t like this. Making healing stronger so that it will be more appealing would just make it OP and break the game. Since not only do you have a giant self heal but an ally can heal for a significant amount where damage from a mob or boss wouldn’t matter anymore since you can out heal that.

Greatest misconception is this point. DPS builds have a lot of support in them. Look at the DPS Guardian build for PvE it has as much or even more support compared to say AH or Pure Voice Guardian builds. In fact support is used greatly by DPS builds. Banners? Aegis? Blinds? Buffs? Protection? Reflects? Condition Removal? These aren’t supports?

The problem is that you are seeing it like this healing = support and support = healing. Therefore, if healing sucks then there isn’t support in the game and in order to have support you must have healing where it is viable. Buffing healing too much is problematic as I pointed out above. So the focus should be on other types of support instead of healing.

This begs the question why healing? Everyone is able to support through other means. Isn’t it enough to blind mobs in order to protect your team. How about that well timed aegis to protect against a one shot move? How is healing more interesting than some other support mechanics in the game?

Finally, last I check in order to complete stuff something has to die so at some point damage has to be in the equation. DPS isn’t just about time it is about completion since if you don’t do damage to a boss to take it down how would you complete it?

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

My question is, if Anet didn’t want healing to be a major focal point, why introduce a stat like healing power? The stat itself is largely pointless because investing too much into it would mean sacrificing your dps, which is the bread and butter of this game. Also, most healing skills perform fine without it and the scaling is really poor for the most part.

I’m all for destroying the typical MMO trinity, but to me it doesn’t make sense to have stats in a game that are useful for specific build roles, only to then make those roles ineffective and thus, the stats along with them.

DPS is the bread and butter of any MMORPG. For raids and dungeons you will most likely have 1 tank 1 healer and the rest are dps (assuming 5 man). Even in larger raids your group will consist of some tanks and healers but most of your group will do dps. That is just the way it is since you have to do dps in order to take down bosses to complete something.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

BINGO! You nailed it. Out healing IS CRAP! And it is working as intended? Why? Because ANet doesn’t want a “dedicated healer” role in any group. You can support, you just can’t be a healer.

In order for healing to be good you have to go towards having a dedicated healing role. It is like passive defense. If you want passive defense to be worth more you have to nerf active defense and support aggressively since they are the reason why you don’t want passive defense in the first place since active defense and support abilities are stronger in every way. And that is part of the design really. In other MMORPGs other classes don’t have self heals or very low heals. Therefore, the importance of healing is greater regardless of the amount since at some point you need to heal a bit during a fight (think passive signet heals). GW2 isn’t like this. Making healing stronger so that it will be more appealing would just make it OP and break the game. Since not only do you have a giant self heal but an ally can heal for a significant amount where damage from a mob or boss wouldn’t matter anymore since you can out heal that.

Greatest misconception is this point. DPS builds have a lot of support in them. Look at the DPS Guardian build for PvE it has as much or even more support compared to say AH or Pure Voice Guardian builds. In fact support is used greatly by DPS builds. Banners? Aegis? Blinds? Buffs? Protection? Reflects? Condition Removal? These aren’t supports?

The problem is that you are seeing it like this healing = support and support = healing. Therefore, if healing sucks then there isn’t support in the game and in order to have support you must have healing where it is viable. Buffing healing too much is problematic as I pointed out above. So the focus should be on other types of support instead of healing.

This begs the question why healing? Everyone is able to support through other means. Isn’t it enough to blind mobs in order to protect your team. How about that well timed aegis to protect against a one shot move? How is healing more interesting than some other support mechanics in the game?

Finally, last I check in order to complete stuff something has to die so at some point damage has to be in the equation. DPS isn’t just about time it is about completion since if you don’t do damage to a boss to take it down how would you complete it?

Yes, we understand these things. But then we wonder why we have a healing stat at all. Healing could be just fixed or based on a percentage of our health. In fact I don’t know why they haven’t done this yet!!
Of the support options in the game, healing support is the weakest. It’s not on par with the other ways you can support. If Anet had so wanted to break the “healer archetype” why are there ways to heal others?
Really, at this point healing power is nothing more than a ploy to deceive players that there can be, in any way, healing support.

Fixed or percentage based healing with reduced healing on others. Why can’t they just do this?
I don’t know. Healing power is just peachy.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Croc.5129

Croc.5129

I am a great believer in the idea that support abilities are so divorced from most stats at all that it just makes sense to use armour with offensive stats, since it doesn’t hurt your ability to stack might, provide aegis, protection, dodge attacks, all that good stuff. It makes gear choice in PVE feel a bit redundant at a certain level of play, because you get to a point where improvement in ability means switching out the defensive stuff to take it to the next level.

I don’t want to feel like PVT gear is ‘training wheels’, or whatever nonsense is bandied out from time to time, when I reach that stage, but it has a very noticeable point where there’s just nowhere else to go while wearing that gear.

Becoming more supportive comes down to traits, runes, and weapon ability, but where one can use gear to improve their outgoing damage potential, one’s ability to outwardly aid their allies is not supported through the current relationship between gear and utilities.

Might will always have the same amount.

Protection will always have the same percentage.

Wall of reflection and its ilk work based on traits, and outside of traits there is no way to improve upon it.

Gear choice, in an ideal world, would be used to reinforce the path you have chosen, but things like vitality and healing are limited in the interactivity they have with the abilities you use to stay alive, or help keep others alive. While dps sets reinforce your path towards obliterating your enemy, with traits and weapons and runes giving options on how you will further go about doing that, while still allowing you to throw out supportive abilities.

(edited by Croc.5129)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

This will never change unless they rebalance the core of the real problem – Monster AI

Until anet actual decides that dodging/blocking is less important, this will never change

Current design, veterean mobs and up are simply going to just 1 hit you if you don’t block or dodge. period.

Dodging / blocking do more for you than any healing/tanking gear could possibly do and thats because of the lazy and unthoughtful design of the Mob AI.

Its not that you cant play a support build, there is just no reason to do so.

healinng isn’t broken, it’s this lousy Mob AI system where its dodge/block or hahah you downed son. There is absolutely no reason to wear healing/tanking gear (in PvE).

If you aren’t zerk, i’m sorry but you are doing it wrong. There is no trinity in this game, instead its just a singular, DPS DPS DPS.

You can’t fix bad design unless you change the core, which anet prolly wont, too much resources.

IndigoSundown.5419

Healing power can be used:

• In PvP, as an adjunct to some bunker builds; bunkers are strong in PvP
  • In WvW, again as part of a bunker set-up
  • In PvE; not all teams are optimized, not all players play at the same level of intensity. To those people, bunker or even cleric’s play may be preferable. I’ve been in guild groups where I was asked to bring my bunker engie, who has some added healing power — instead of one of my GC characters. HP is decidedly not optimal, but that does not mean it is not used.

In every MMO I’ve seen, the dungeon/raid meta has always been about using the most efficient set-up. Enrage timers guarantee this, if not player desires for speed once something is on farm. Many build options are reviled in those games as well. Whole talent trees and large parts of other trees get ignored. Players complain about being forced to play a certain way, and about being kicked because their DPS is lower than the set threshold. The main difference is that other games have fewer stat options on gear than GW2, but even that is changing some.

Does every stat, every aspect of all builds have to be optimal in every game play mode? If so, there’s only one way to do that — by eliminating build choices.

SkiTz.4590

• In PvE; not all teams are optimized, not all players play at the same level of intensity. To those people, bunker or even cleric’s play may be preferable. I’ve been in guild groups where I was asked to bring my bunker engie, who has some added healing power — instead of one of my GC characters. HP is decidedly not optimal, but that does not mean it is not used.

In every MMO I’ve seen, the dungeon/raid meta has always been about using the most efficient set-up. Enrage timers guarantee this, if not player desires for speed once something is on farm. Many build options are reviled in those games as well. Whole talent trees and large parts of other trees get ignored. Players complain about being forced to play a certain way, and about being kicked because their DPS is lower than the set threshold. The main difference is that other games have fewer stat options on gear than GW2, but even that is changing some.

Does every stat, every aspect of all builds have to be optimal in every game play mode? If so, there’s only one way to do that — by eliminating build choices.

Sorry but that bolded part couldn’t be any less true

There is only DPS DPS DPS in GW2 (I’m talking strictly PvE here).
There is literally no reason to be in any other gear. Everything is done just fine in zerk gear. Thats all you need

In other MMOs, you have healers, tanks, DPS. All of those EASILY have more variety than power, prec, crit damage. There is absolutely zero diversity in PvE for GW2 because the system is completely flawed.

Why on gods green earth do I need to be wearing clerics gear in PvE?
Dodging and learning the mechanics of this games simple PvE is an absolute farce, there is nothing difficult about the PvE in this game because it was catered for casuals.
You can do lvl 50 fracs in full zerk gear with ease once you learned the mechanics, which by no doubt you should have since you are upto lvl 50.

The build diversity for pve is EXTREMELY simple and straight forward , theres no beating around the bush. In other MMOs at least you have viable options to spec into different things for PvE. Clerics is not viable at all here , unless you want to be utterly slow and ineffecient on purpose. Condi damage based gear is worthless in PvE. Pure tank gear? for what lol. theres no dedicated healing here, what you tanking for ? you are only holding your party back by not doing more DPS.

That’s where this games lack of itemization and gear diversity really shows. There is no fortifaction, no enchanting , no socketing. You can pick out some runes and some sigils lol. ya that’s a whole lot of diversity and theory crafting there for you! not…. Compared to any other MMO on the market, this games itemization/gear choices is way below par. Even when anet had the clear opportunity to add diversity by making runes more interesting. Instead, everyone is basically pidgeonholed into one 6 peice set of runes. Why can’t we be creative and have different combo’s that are just as effective? Why can’t we have two different runes, 3 peice sets for added diversity? or three different runes for viable 2 peice set effects? It’s mind boggling how un- creative and bland the itemization is

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

There is literally no reason to be in any other gear. Everything is done just fine in zerk gear. Thats all you need

In other MMOs, you have healers, tanks, DPS. All of those EASILY have more variety than power, prec, crit damage. There is absolutely zero diversity in PvE for GW2 because the system is completely flawed.

Dodging and learning the mechanics of this games simple PvE is an absolute farce, there is nothing difficult about the PvE in this game because it was catered for casuals.
You can do lvl 50 fracs in full zerk gear with ease once you learned the mechanics, which by no doubt you should have since you are upto lvl 50.

The build diversity for pve is EXTREMELY simple and straight forward , theres no beating around the bush. In other MMOs at least you have viable options to spec into different things for PvE. Clerics is not viable at all here , unless you want to be utterly slow and ineffecient on purpose. Condi damage based gear is worthless in PvE. Pure tank gear? for what lol. theres no dedicated healing here, what you tanking for ? you are only holding your party back by not doing more DPS.

Indigo spoke the truth. There’s way more diversity to this game that you are giving it credit for. In short, the problem is that you have efficiency in mind, OR are letting the way a pocket of players play affect how you feel about the way you wish you could play. You don’t have to max DPS if you don’t want to. It’s not a crime, and you won’t be a “bad player” for not following the meta (that’s some elitist lie, because some of them like feeling superior by belittling those who refuse to play their “pro” way-which means where efficiency is all that matters-those are the kind of players you will find berating people as “casual filth”/“carebears”/“special butterflies”/“playhowyouwants”/and other silly, non-sensical, immature, and disparaging terms.)

Nothing wrong with efficiency, though-that’s not my point. If you want to play fast, be efficient! It’s all good. But to say that all that matters in GW2 is DPS is basically letting others hijack your enjoyment of the game. If you don’t want to maximize DPS, just don’t, pure and simple.

IndigoSundown.5419

You seem to consider that anything not optimal serves no purpose in the PvE game. While I agree that GC is best, that does not mean that someone else has to do as we say. Whole cleric parties or a mix of every stat combination considered non-optimal can complete a GW2 dungeon path, given even sub-optimal play. They just won’t set any speed records. Those set-ups are viable but not optimal.

Other games have clear gear diversity because they have clear, hard-and-fast roles. If you’re built tank or healer, of course you wear different gear than the DPS. How much variety is there gear-wise within those roles? Maybe one class is an evade tank, and the other is a block tank and the third a regen tank. All three have their own best gear set. Likewise healers.

Otherwise you build with the best choice for DPS. Talent trees are where more variation can be possible. However, even there, there is little acceptance of anything other than the one choice considered best for your class.

That’s where this games lack of itemization and gear diversity really shows. There is no fortifaction, no enchanting , no socketing. You can pick out some runes and some sigils lol. ya that’s a whole lot of diversity and theory crafting there for you! not…. Compared to any other MMO on the market, this games itemization/gear choices is way below par. Even when anet had the clear opportunity to add diversity by making runes more interesting. Instead, everyone is basically pidgeonholed into one 6 peice set of runes. Why can’t we be creative and have different combo’s that are just as effective? Why can’t we have two different runes, 3 peice sets for added diversity? or three different runes for viable 2 peice set effects? It’s mind boggling how un- creative and bland the itemization is

I also dislike the simplification of build theory in GW2. That does not change the fact that many gear combinations are viable. Nor does the fact that players consider one stat choice optimal.

You commented that GW2 was built for casuals. It was. Some casuals prefer different play-styles. Some of them need more passive defense because their twitch reflexes and/or computers are not that good. Some of them don’t care as much for efficiency. It seems like what you’re really talking about is lack of hard-and-fast-role diversity, and thus the gear to support it, as well as lack of build complexity and perhaps depth. Unfortunately, to discuss those we’d be in danger of putting the thread on a tangent.

SkiTz.4590

What i’m trying to get at is, what exactly is the point of healing in PvE?
It’s not required to even bother to spec even a little bit of healing.

Its not that DPS is the obvious best choice, it’s that there is no practical reason to go towards a healing spec, like clerics build. If you want do be a full cleric party by all means, go for it, play how you want to, but a lot of people see that there really is no reason to go for it, other than to just play around with the spec…
healings broken because there is no system in place for it in this game right now and thats tied to how the mob AI works… there’s no defined experience in the PvE part of this game where I feel like going towards healing would benefit me.

PvP is a whole different story and I agree theres some great diversity in that playing field but PvE wise, I personally don’t see as how healing will matter unless there is serious change to how PvE content works…

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

As many people have stated, OP, healer builds aren’t “broken”, they just aren’t needed in PvE by good players. They definitely have a use in WvW, but in PvE you only need those builds if you aren’t good enough to use the natural mechanics you have at hand for damage mitigation/avoidance.

My guess is that you don’t understand how speed runs work. You should watch some youtube videos sometime. You stated that you have run on your engi and only ever have about 5-6 stacks of might. On my engi I can stack 18 stacks of might without anyone else helping. So as the engi in that run you could have used your large number of blasts and your fire field(s) to stack might for your whole party (better than a guardian in length and stack amount). On my ele I can do 21 stacks and give out perma-fury. And this is without having anyone else blast my field, and running a completely zerk build.

Whether you like it or not, there is no place in pve for healers, or even “support” builds. I run with my friends everynight (we all run complete zerk) and we finish Arah paths in about 30 minutes with 3-4 people. We also duo p2 quite frequently in about 45-60 minutes. None of us run a single “support/defensive” stat. We know how to use our dodges/blocks/blinds/reflects so that we don’t get hit. Why do we need someone with regen/protection/stability? Answer is that we don’t. That is the way the game is. If you are good enough, you have no need for support or healers because every class (even on the most glassy of builds) can take care of themselves.

From some of your statements it really sounds like you have some things to learn about the game (which is perfectly fine! :-). We all start somewhere. But there is a reason that the DPS meta exists, and if you watch those players that have perfected PvE gameplay you will understand why a healer/support build is unnecessary in PvE. You are free to run it, but it will never be “needed”. If you love playing support/healing I would suggest looking into running in WvW with an organized group. There is definitely a need for support builds there.

And as a side note, I’ve never seen a group that can facetank lupi, I would wager to say you can’t since the grubs will make him one shot even the most powerful support build. Facetanking the spider queen in a level 35 dungeon doesn’t prove anything. I don’t believe anyone can do all of Arah without using a dodge/block/reflect/blind.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

So am I am the only one that notices this, I haven’t read 1 single post about the healing issue and is the only game play I find broken on this game.

I read complain about condition play style but there nothing wrong with unless you a bad player and haven’t figure it out how to play it properly.

have read complains on how the only way to play on this game is pure dps which is incorrect because there are support build that are base on sacrificing some of your dps but will be increasing your team dps by stacking might or by stacking condition invulnerability on mobs

But the only build that doesn’t work is the healing build. Is complete garbage no matter how hard you try and I speaking on pve and wvw gameplay.

The only way a healing build works in pve if you have 2 or 3 healers on the group and honest who wants to bother with that, all you doing is slowing down the fight.

So am I the only one that cares?

Two things. Yes healing/support has been broken as an option for multiple classes and part of that is due to the second thing, condition damage in PVE has never recovered from the earliest nerf across the board. It happened right before they announced Fractals and it’s never been the same since. For one thing none of the conditions do the same damage across the board or the same between classes, so there’s 0 consistancy, on top of that the crit damage is negligible and almost unnoticeable compared to crit damage from zerker builds even after the nerf to zerker.

They have been given the tools to fix it properly across the board in both reviews by WoodenPotatoes and the suggestions forums but haven’t used any of that data or historical reference to actually make the combat more diverse.

We do care but most likely this thread will degenerate into nonsense about how you should only play the game 1 way which is do dungeons and zerker everything no matter what because those are the majority of the players that are left over after years of ignoring what we put in the suggestions forums. Most likely this will be unheard as well unfortunately.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

IndigoSundown.5419

What i’m trying to get at is, what exactly is the point of healing in PvE? It’s not required to even bother to spec even a little bit of healing.

Its not that DPS is the obvious best choice, it’s that there is no practical reason to go towards a healing spec, like clerics build. If you want do be a full cleric party by all means, go for it, play how you want to, but a lot of people see that there really is no reason to go for it, other than to just play around with the spec…
healings broken because there is no system in place for it in this game right now and thats tied to how the mob AI works… there’s no defined experience in the PvE part of this game where I feel like going towards healing would benefit me.

If you need a rationale for Healing Power to be available in the PvE game, here’s two:

• Those full cleric parties wouldn’t work without it. Since not everyone wants the optimal experience, those other people need options for their preferences
  • It’s like the trait options in GW2 and other games that no one interested in optimizing uses, which are there to give theory crafters stuff to sift through to find the best build, or to be situationally useful (like the 50% less falling damage traits here).

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

What i’m trying to get at is, what exactly is the point of healing in PvE?
It’s not required to even bother to spec even a little bit of healing.

Well following such logic why is power even needed since everyone has a minimum which means that ultimately the boss will fall from damage….

And in fact it’s the key of the design, nothing is absolutely needed but players have to be good in what they decide to play. Be it to spend hours for a fight because they invest in defense more than offense. The thing is that people have to agree on how they play and why.
There is no king reason of playing one way or another. People are confused with Zerk Meta being the one thing to play but for what? Challenge ? ok that’s good but some people don’t want to play PVE with challenge in mind. Profit? Why not but some other players will never care about pixel money…..
Just accept people play how they want since they are allowed in that game (which for me makes it quite special) and that nothing is required, playing included

PS: by saying that I don’t claim that the game is totally perfect and that nothing should change.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

DPS is only “king” because it determines how fast a party gets through a dungeon or boss, because every dungeon has a set amount of HP (And regen) that needs to be chewed through, regardless of game or system. DPS by definition gets through them faster. Of course, a different approach to encounter design could allow the game to re-emphasize control and support to keep the DPS flowing, by having enemies effectively be able to keep pressure on players if they aren’t controlled, and have players be unable to take on the enemies without Support.

I think the healing power stat needs to be re-examined, and possibly be changed to “Healing/Boon Power”, to allow it to be useful for all types of support players, and scale with actual Healing Power better. As it is, Healing Power would almost be useful for tougher characters that rely on maintaining healing over time, such as Healing Signet warriors and Vampire Signet necros if it weren’t for the terrible return on investment in the ability compared to the strong starting ability. By extending it to include the power of all types of boons, it makes it appealing to everyone who uses boons, whether they apply them to themselves or others.

Then again, part of the Guild Wars 2 manifesto wanted to discourage emphasis on builds entirely, and instead emphasize the abilities of the player and style. Maybe other attributes need their impact and extent reeled back to be in line with Healing Power’s instead?

This is a nice summary of the situation.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Because once upon a time the above summary wasn’t the case. Control and Support were legitimate roles because bosses and mobs didn’t work the way they work now. Things went wrong in the design and they completely broke bosses and mobs to “fix” the problem. The resultant release state is one where Control and Support aren’t necessary in any way and only DPS matters.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

There are no ‘healers’ in the game, so I am unsure what it is you want to be ‘fixed’. There was much discussion even before the game launched that players would never rely on others for healing, but primarily themselves.

Here is an article about healing in GW2:

Heal: Don’t belittle the SUPPORT role by calling it heal. Healing is the least dynamic kind of support there is. It is reactive instead of proactive. Healing is for when you are already losing. In Guild Wars 2 we prefer that you support your allies before they take a beating. Sure, there are some healing spells in Guild Wars 2, but they make up a small portion of the support lines that are spread throughout the professions. Other kinds of support include buffs, active defense, and cross-profession combinations.

For instance, an elementalist can support his allies by dropping down a ground-targeted healing rain that rejuvenates allies in an area. He might also use Windborne Speed to help them chase down a target or escape out of longbow range. A warrior might shout “On My Target” to help his allies do more damage to a marked enemy, or use his warhorn to “Call to Arms” which improves the armor of his allies for a short time.

We use our cross-profession combos to fill in the rest of our support. An elementalist can create a Firewall or Static Field to improve the ranged attacks of his allies. A warrior can carry a Banner of Wisdom around the battlefield to increase the power of his allies’ magical attacks. An elementalist might cast an ice spell to freeze enemies, but that same spell might give his allies Frost Armor to protect them from incoming attacks. When you boil it down, support is just the friendly way for players to work together to accomplish a shared goal.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110815225732/http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

Are you asking for the Developers to change the basic game design, and add healers?

I spec healing build. I have all sorts of heals and boons.

thats my role I enjoy playing.

But its not rewarding. Sometimes you dont get tagged on boss playing that way.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

I am a great believer in the idea that support abilities are so divorced from most stats at all that it just makes sense to use armour with offensive stats, since it doesn’t hurt your ability to stack might, provide aegis, protection, dodge attacks, all that good stuff. It makes gear choice in PVE feel a bit redundant at a certain level of play, because you get to a point where improvement in ability means switching out the defensive stuff to take it to the next level.

Pretty much, the support role comes more from various boons than from the healing stat (which even on the regen boon is fairly pretty meh compared with the other defensive boons and how much they mitigate dmg) and boons are only boosted in a fairly minor way from the +boon duration stat that it’s pointless to gear for support since your gear isn’t really going to significantly affect your boons. It’s perhaps useful to those who haven’t mastered the game mechanics (but even then how hard is it to dodge/reflect/blind…it’s not exactly a high ceiling).

Support builds would become more relevant if boons were actually affected in a significant way from a supportive stat, make all the default values of boons far weak in strength/duration and you’ll see the support role become more of a thing because you’d need to gear for it rather than just gear for DPS because all your support boons aren’t affected by your gear. Same argument could be made for control.

There’s slightly more use for support role in wvw zerg but that’s more compensating for players who are scaled up, not optimised, not skilled, etc and even then it’s really only affecting 5 randoms most of the time which isn’t exactly the most useless at the end of the day.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Support builds would become more relevant if boons were actually affected in a significant way from a supportive stat, make all the default values of boons far weak in strength/duration and you’ll see the support role become more of a thing because you’d need to gear for it rather than just gear for DPS because all your support boons aren’t affected by your gear. Same argument could be made for control.

In theory I agree that might could scale with healing power instead of giving a flat increase in power, retaliation could also scale with it instead of power. The thing is that maybe from a coding POV it would be hard to do it (though I think it is the same principle as bleed stacks) and also it could be confusing for players since there would be arguments about who should finsh combos and people would get crazy if a berserker geared player put 25 stacks of “weak” might and not let people with healing power do it. In any case I don’t agree that the base value should be far weak since it would then be a huge nerf to teams without “healer” which is not the goal.

As for control I don’t think they should scale with healing power or boon duration because it would reinforce bunkers like crazy and in general controling an enemy has nothing to do with support. For helping control (in dungeon context) maybe there should be a way to remove additional stacks of defiant buff e.g if you apply to daze/interrupt/luanch within 3 seconds it would remove 3 stacks instead of two… but diversion would then be OP in that purpose (and this is already really strong for defiance stripping!).

Drakent.9605

ok I change the tittle b/c ppl are giving the impression I am expecting for anet to make a full healing class out the game when am I asking for the healing support that has been created on the game all rdy to be better

Also I like to address one huge problem here.

To the DPS community which sadly and unfortunately seem to be the majority of the players playing gw2.

I am not sure where and how you guys ended being miss guided on what kind of game gw2 is but let me give you the right information

when dev spoke of creating a game where they would be no trinity they didn’t spoke of getting rid of tank or healers off the game they where talking about getting rid off the dependency that most MMO-RPG have.

If you been playing MMO-RPG as long has I have you would know that DPS, Tank and healer’a have to work with each other to a point where there’s no game progression if you cant, every one has to play his role correctly or the hole groups falls apart . Bad dps means healer runs out of MP and tanks dies, group wipes . Bad tank groups dies , Bad healer tanks dies and group dies, a very vicious cycle that has ppl fighting among each other. This was anet true goal to get rid off this kind of game play .

Anet created a game where you can play as you like with out having any kind of restriction or dependency. This is why there No Gear Score, No Gear Check ,No Gear Requirement No End Game Gear .

No need for crazy DPS b/c bosses don’t have rage timer, No need For a tank b/c they remove agroo of the game and no Need for a major heals b/c they gave every one tools to depend on them self then on others

They still added different play style on the game base on what you like. Want to be a dps go for it, don’t like dpsing much k here some ability, spell , rune and sigil that helps ppl out instead of dpsing , do as you like !!!!!!!

Now if you like dpsing so much is fine there nothing wrong with it but stop selling it to other ppl, going around and saying " If you aren’t zerking you playing this game wrong" is what got you guys hit with a nerf bat in the first place

(edited by Drakent.9605)

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

Healing power should be removed from the game and healing skills rebalanced :x

/grabs_popcorn.gif

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

the least anet can do to make healing power useful, is to increase revival speed with healing power.

this will make healing power, a little bit acceptable.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

…Staff elementalist traited for Aquatic Benevolence and runes of Monk can fill the niche effortlessly. The problem? The ele don’t get much loot due to poor tagging. Risk >> Rewards.

I get all the loot I deserve when I play my water ele. That comes from being high on Arcane and switching out of water when the party is doing well. Fire and Earth are great elements for extra dps when not healing.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Lets be honest, Self healing in this game is overkill.

It is way over the top, and is often used as the reason Healing Power shouldn’t be improved, because some guy running around in full Berserker gear can heal over half his health (or all of it, in the case of Guardian) every 30sec.

Outgoing heals are almost as bad, mainly due to water fields which make it possible to heal a whole zerg in seconds since the amount of healing that you do is directly proportional to how many people there are to leap or blast on it.

Healing skills don’t need improved, they need nerfed so that Healing Power can be improved and taking it as a stat option is actually legitimate.

Full support builds will never exist in this game as long as you can get away with doing everything in the game (even in PvP/WvW) and still heal most of your health a few times every minute regardless of what you are wearing, what your build is, what you are facing, who your allies are or any other factors whatsoever.

ANet said healing is the weakest form of support, so why did they make it free? It ended up becoming the most common form of (self)support in the game.

This isn’t a good system, its a trainwreck. Everyone is basically a Priest with DPS.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I bring healing and support in to dungeons and open world PvE all the time, and they work just fine.

Now granted, you pretty much play them like a DPS who can afford to play a little wrecklessly, so it isn’t really playing support. But in my opinion, that isn’t the fault of any class’ design, except maybe the thief and mesmer, who bloody well need some kind of real support option.

In reality the problem is enemy design. All of the games encounters are designed after cheesy giant insta-death attacks, which dodging is the only answer to, making healing, defensive stats, and support mechanics completely worthless.

They need to revamp pretty much every mob in the game to have:
(1) Infrequently used burst damage attacks (all most mobs and bosses currently have)
(2) Infrequently used unavoidable light or zero damage attacks
(3) Frequently used light damage attacks

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

the least anet can do to make healing power useful, is to increase revival speed with healing power.

this will make healing power, a little bit acceptable.

This I agree with entirely. They could also make self healing a bit better with healing power or visa versa, make healing others three times as powerful with healing power which would actually make it work as I think they intended.

Right now the healing power is pretty much useless, and many of the classes that do have healing roles don’t have equal ability to remove conditions which is a major part of healing in any game not just this one. If they’d fix those two things healing would improve dramatically.

One more thing would help tho, these XIII skills should be useable in any line, which would open up a world of diversity if they did that. It would make it so, for example, engineers who rely on explosives for healing, would gain extra heals when mobs came close to them because mines would be going off all the time on top of the bombs using Bunker Down.

But this would require that they actually take a look at why traits are too restrictive and why certain classes don’t have certain boons and fix those as well in the process and I just don’t see them caring about that sortof thing.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Clerics gear is bugged!! remove from game!!

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Cyprien.4208

Cyprien.4208

I don’t mind healing but I wished it wouldn’t scale so poorly for the ones who do choose to go after the healing stats… manly right now there is little reasons to choose any type of healing stats because they don’t really effect anything it’s mostly a worthless stats choice.

Drakent.9605

@Hannelore.8153

1) We are talking about outhealing not selfhealing

2) we are talking about pve not pvp

3) Sound like you got lose a fight 1vs1, I don’t pvp much but even I know that all classes on this game have a 30 sec cd that fully heals them , is call there " Oh kitten button" this has nothing to do with spell healing power or class or gear. I think any one will agree with me that if you take longer then 30 sec to down another player he out matches you

4) IF out healing was out of control like you say then anet wouldn’t had buff it this patch like they did by adding, rune of the monk changes, water sigil changes and sigil of the benevolence

Drakent.9605

@DonQuack.9025

Selfhealing is not the issue on the game is the outhealing we speaking off.

P.s don’t be showing this video on the forum you going to get a lot of warrior angry

Drakent.9605

you don’t really need to make major changes to the game to make out healing usefull in pve

The idea of making healing power effect with reviving some one is actually pretty awesome , this help with dps to put more damage b.c they wont have to stop to revive since they can leave it to the dps/healer build to do it and it will relieve them of the worry of dying out the fight

regeneration boon is a terrible outhealing support spell b/c is not effect by you but by the person own healing power , so when you cast this on some 1 you doing yack kitten, this needs to be change

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

The only way you could consider it viable is when zerkers get one shotted by normal mob attacks by veteren+ mobs but this would mean you need a guy who takes damage which also means you need a guy to heal which brings back the trinity but this is a no trinity game so guess what zerker all the way hahaha

Posted by: Lucifirius.3196

Lucifirius.3196

If you want outhealing, go play a different MMO. The current system is fine how it is, working as intended.

“Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul”