Your favorite thing you miss from GW?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Not much, really. Maybe pre-searing. I didn’t even get the last couple expansions or so, just wasn’t mmo for me. GW2 is more my genre, though pure futuristic sci-fi would be more in step with past choices. At least GW2 has elements of that but sort of in a steampunkish alternate universe/history way.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I only miss cross regional play with my friends, but truly I can’t go back to GW1’s slow static play style now.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Nethmaru.8713

Nethmaru.8713

-Customizable UI
-Guild Halls as a community center for guilds
-A Targeting system, whatever it is we have now is too sad an excuse for it
-Build variety
-No regional boundries, the current guesting system has only added the ability to go to zones together. You could already do dungeons together cross-server :s
-And I’m amazed nobody mentioned it, but I LOVE the ABSENCE of TRAHEARNE in Gw1.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Oh, an important one I forgot…

No server distinction and NA and EU being able to play with each other.

YES! I agree with you again. This separation between NA and EU has split the community and various guilds. It is a bloody shame. My current guild is half NA and half EU, and never the two shall meet.

I’ll repeat my post (as it bears repeating)

The ability to play with anybody in the world. No matter where they live. Oh, and the fact that servers are simply a way to make sure not too many people block a map. And not a way to forever segregate people.

I have a dream, that one day, this world will be able to play together, no matter where they live or on what server they play on.

Posted by: Antares.2586

Antares.2586

Guild Halls.

And 8 man raids like Fissure of Woe / Underworld zones.

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

do i have to say it again? GUILD HALLS!!!

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I’ve spent a lot of time with heroes, trying to figure out how their ai works and what skills work best with them. re: targeting, the heroes are actually very good about this. you don’t even need to have a target called, they will prioritize whatever you’re attacking at the moment. i run all discord necros and they immediately attack my target, even if i haven’t called it. there are some exceptions depending on the skills. for instance they save anti melee skills for melee enemies that are attacking us, and some hexes such as parasitic bond they won’t cast until the target is about to die. a clever trick i learned was that they will cast life siphon on every target almost immediately, so this is a pretty good spammable hex for their discord.

heroes do have trouble with aoe, so i always prioritize aoe enemies. i have lots of party heals and party regeneration to counter the inevitable explosion from an aoe that lands on my hero pack. i also run an imbagon so that helps tremendously. and you are right the heroes may or may not interrupt skills properly. they used to be better actually, but they were deliberately nerfed because they were too good. panic is probably the best skill for interrupting. the heroes do use heals on minions, but only when your team is idle. i use neros for healers anyway because their innate energy management is simply too good.

They’re never good about focusing on my target. My Rit will hex the target I want dead, and autoattack it, and like my spirits, they choose a completely different target. instead of targetting the monk healing everything they target a warrior because it’s closer. Instead of targetting an elementalist that is about to nuke you unless you burst it down, they target a warrior.

The only way I’ve found they lock on my target is well, individually 1 by 1 locking their target manually, which is a real pain.

Discordway works because they will of course, target the target that is both hexed and has a condition, the prerequisites for discord to do damage. Since you’re supplying the hexes and conditions, you’re calling their target by way of their main damage skill can ONLY hit that target.

I hate discord way though because you can’t even play YOUR class, you play a build entirely of PVE skills and assassin’s promise.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Gw1 OffTopic
Discord is a good build for players new to HM, learning the ropes of HM mobs and Vanquishing.

Personally i don’t like it, and i think it has some serious limits in some areas – it was back at 3 heroes only tho – but it did come in handy to learn.

Once you’re confident enough in your knowledge of the game, i think that customizing your team and builds for your playstyle is the way to go.
end OT

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

I’ve spent a lot of time with heroes, trying to figure out how their ai works and what skills work best with them. re: targeting, the heroes are actually very good about this. you don’t even need to have a target called, they will prioritize whatever you’re attacking at the moment. i run all discord necros and they immediately attack my target, even if i haven’t called it. there are some exceptions depending on the skills. for instance they save anti melee skills for melee enemies that are attacking us, and some hexes such as parasitic bond they won’t cast until the target is about to die. a clever trick i learned was that they will cast life siphon on every target almost immediately, so this is a pretty good spammable hex for their discord.

heroes do have trouble with aoe, so i always prioritize aoe enemies. i have lots of party heals and party regeneration to counter the inevitable explosion from an aoe that lands on my hero pack. i also run an imbagon so that helps tremendously. and you are right the heroes may or may not interrupt skills properly. they used to be better actually, but they were deliberately nerfed because they were too good. panic is probably the best skill for interrupting. the heroes do use heals on minions, but only when your team is idle. i use neros for healers anyway because their innate energy management is simply too good.

They’re never good about focusing on my target. My Rit will hex the target I want dead, and autoattack it, and like my spirits, they choose a completely different target. instead of targetting the monk healing everything they target a warrior because it’s closer. Instead of targetting an elementalist that is about to nuke you unless you burst it down, they target a warrior.

The only way I’ve found they lock on my target is well, individually 1 by 1 locking their target manually, which is a real pain.

Discordway works because they will of course, target the target that is both hexed and has a condition, the prerequisites for discord to do damage. Since you’re supplying the hexes and conditions, you’re calling their target by way of their main damage skill can ONLY hit that target.

I hate discord way though because you can’t even play YOUR class, you play a build entirely of PVE skills and assassin’s promise.

that’s really very strange. they’re usually quite good about targeting. i know they may sometimes use aoe skills on balls of enemies instead of your target, but otherwise they are fine. also, i have no hexes on my bar. as I already mentioned i run imbagon. that’s also why i mentioned life siphon because my heroes take care of all the necessary hexing and conditioning before they discord. also i used to run 3 paragon heroes and they were fine with targeting as well.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Actually, the thing I miss absolutely the most from GW1 was the 14 hero glitch… Running around in Winds of Change in HM, with mobs carefully picked out by Anet to be really difficult and just MELTING them away. It felt great knowing that someone spent a lot of his time designing the builds on those mobs and making sure they were strong, and I just completely destroyed them…

Or the 18min Varajar Fells 20-man party vanquish. Man, I had so much fun with that exploit…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Kilroy Stonekin

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

The classical list:

- GvG

- Guild Halls

- Elite Dungeons (UW, FoW, DoA, Deep, Urgoz)

- Templates

- Elite skills being the centerpiece of your build, not the “I’ll take the least terrible one” skill you just HAVE to take

- The build system

- Being rewarded for difficult content more than for mindless farming

- More and better armors

- Dyeable weapons

I was gonna post a list but this guy took my thoughts out of my head, so I’ll just quote it. My emphasis on the first three.

For a game called “Guild Wars 2” the guild system sucks. No guild halls, guild battles, less than mediocre guild system for guild leaders.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I miss dual profession specialization. I really miss how the skills ‘felt’ like they made an impact in combat not to mention their audio was so well designed, the list goes on but I don’t want to sound greedy.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

I miss the Ranger class the most.

This and not having to worry about gear.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

Freedom of skill selection.
Guild Halls.
PvP/PvE balance split
Dual Classes (ties into creative skillbar-building)

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

Skill variety
Ritualists
Jade Quarry
Fort Aspenwood
No gear creep

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

Skill hunting

Good looking gear

Elite skills that were actually elite. Elite skills in guild wars 2 are almost universally useless, or less useful than a utility skill that you would rather take if you could put them in the elite slot.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

favorite thing I miss from GW 1…

Immersion in the game.

Every content is zerk-it and leave-it. Nothing to stop, think, enjoy, play.

General GW2 strat guide: skip, stack, (if fail, repeat).

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

chaos axe
tormented shield
titles
FOW
UW
Cantha
Elona

+1

And Rits.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

The ability to save builds & respec for free.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

being able to do solo runs (with or without henchies)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

Top two things I can think of?

Cantha/Elona and Guild Halls… yeah that’s more like 3 but who’s counting

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

First – heroes. I really miss having a choice to go into a mission or dungeon either solo, with one or more guildies or with a full human party, whenever I want, without having to wait or pug.

Second – Signet of Capture. I hope that can come back in some form. It was so satisfying going off somewhere and taking on a difficult opponent but with the long-term payoff of increased build diversity (helped even more by the dual-classing). I’d rather have that than a new title or weapon skin any day.

Third – no regional boundaries.

Fourth – build templates. Brilliant timesaver.

Fifth – more serious atmosphere overall – while I like a bit of silliness GW2 feels like it has the balance somewhat skewed at the moment.

Sixth – Elona, especially Vabbi with its Moroccan style buildings and evocative music. Hated the forced travel on wurms, as that gave me game motion sickness, but apart from that I enjoyed most of Nightfall.

(edited by quickthorn.4918)

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Started up GW1 again for the Festival permanent summing stone.

After playing GW2 for so long I forgot how important aggression order was (picking a target to spike/control, such as monks or heavy hitters once they’re dead go onto the 2nd,3rd ect.) like on my Warrior in GW1 I go for the healer and nuke it, if there is no healer I nuke the hardest hitter in the pull to keep overall party damage received to a low.

In GW2 I’m just mashing 1 and the occasional 3 (whrilwind) to tag mobs over and over.

See the problem? GW1 had some strategy while GW2 is all about tagging…
In GW1 tagging didn’t matter one bit loot was divided amongst the party regardless.
This trip I’ve just taken down memory lane has given me insight on why I’m left so bitter with what Tyria has become.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

aggro bubble…..

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

A development company that delivered on its advertising.

Castaliea.3156

A development company that delivered on its advertising.

Oh snaps

Guild Leader

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

Wow, you guys hit most of what I miss too.

My heroes.
Vanquishing
Capturing elite skills
Elite skills that were elite.
Aggro bubbles
Being able to watch the camera of someone else when you were dead.
Ritualist

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

having no Perma-anything.
having no stealth classes
heroes
skill varieties
guild halls
better class balance at an extent
better game stability
awesome build mechanics
where “ranger class” where rangers

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Posted by: redhand.7168

redhand.7168

A fail scenario that was actually a fail scenario.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

I miss the fun most of all…

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

You are most definently right; i totally missed to include this to my list.

That was what ‘hooked me into’ playing guild war 1.

With thief class stripping the fun out of gw2 world, make me miss gw1 even more.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

You are most definently right; i totally missed to include this to my list.

That was what ‘hooked me into’ playing guild war 1.

With thief class stripping the fun out of gw2 world, make me miss gw1 even more.

What happened to the fun we had with GW1.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Castaliea.3156

The real sense of Lore…

that’s a big one.

Guild Leader

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

Things I Miss About Guild Wars:

• Having more than two Elite Skills
  • Elite Skills not sucking
  • Replayable Story/Mission
The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

My list:

- New empty ended historic lore. Everything we have in terms of history is either a continuation of GW1’s one-sentence historic lore (which is good but not the same), or DRAGONS BE RELATED!!!! content that sometimes feels like a retcon.
- Quests (yes, I miss GW1-styled questing. Events just aren’t the same).
- Real Missions (Personal Story steps are too kitten short and too kitten frequent. Dungeons feel more akin to GW1 missions but I’d like some of such that’s soloable as well).
- Lack of contradictions in the lore…
- Properly fleshed out and defined characters (Logan? Jennah? Trahearne? Scarlet? Come on now Anet, you can do better than that!).
- Permanent PvE Mists – be it the Hall of Heroes, The Underworld, or even the Realm of Torment (<3’d the RoT). Having the Mad Realm was wonderful, though Fractals and sPvP/WvW don’t really feel “mists” like. I think it’s because they took the word literally with all that fog in the nether (as opposed to in GW1, where it was just vast open space, like in the Mad Realm).
- Less roflcomedy in the storyline (stuffed enough pop culture references and memes in there yet, Anet? No? kitten .)
- Missions with fail scenarios (“Protect me” -watches NPC die…revives NPC- Eh.)
- Replayable.
- Non-holiday content that didn’t freaking disappear within 2 weeks.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Ranger specific:
-optional pets
—There are situations in which pets excel, and those in which they are useless…

-pet variety and personalization
—I should say viable pet variety. Try using a cat in the wrong place, and weep.
—Pets felt like companions, not tools to be used and replaced.

-functional pets
—How often did pets miss a target completely? Die in one shot from the environment?

Now, on to the rest of the game.

-Dervish
—Currently, we have no medium armored spellcaster
—Also, we lack a medium armor class suitable for drawn out melee combat sans pet
—Plus, scythes are an enormous part of Guild Wars culture now
—My Dhuum’s Soul Reaper is collecting dust and cobwebs!

-Ritualist
—Not my best class, but they chained up angry souls to use as minions. Awesome.

-PvE enemies who don’t have heavy regen when you shoot them from elevation

-Dyable weapons

-A better targeting system

Posted by: Hawk.3574

Hawk.3574

-UW FOW Urgoz Deep DOA

-Margonite, Mursaat

-Scythes, Vampiric Dragon Sword, Storm Bow

-prefix upgrades for weapons

-Hard mode

-Ritualist

-All the emotes and dances

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

My list:

- New empty ended historic lore. Everything we have in terms of history is either a continuation of GW1’s one-sentence historic lore (which is good but not the same), or DRAGONS BE RELATED!!!! content that sometimes feels like a retcon.
- Quests (yes, I miss GW1-styled questing. Events just aren’t the same).
- Real Missions (Personal Story steps are too kitten short and too kitten frequent. Dungeons feel more akin to GW1 missions but I’d like some of such that’s soloable as well).
- Lack of contradictions in the lore…
- Properly fleshed out and defined characters (Logan? Jennah? Trahearne? Scarlet? Come on now Anet, you can do better than that!).
- Permanent PvE Mists – be it the Hall of Heroes, The Underworld, or even the Realm of Torment (<3’d the RoT). Having the Mad Realm was wonderful, though Fractals and sPvP/WvW don’t really feel “mists” like. I think it’s because they took the word literally with all that fog in the nether (as opposed to in GW1, where it was just vast open space, like in the Mad Realm).
- Less roflcomedy in the storyline (stuffed enough pop culture references and memes in there yet, Anet? No? kitten .)
- Missions with fail scenarios (“Protect me” -watches NPC die…revives NPC- Eh.)
- Replayable.
- Non-holiday content that didn’t freaking disappear within 2 weeks.

Lore nut as well? We should discuss lore sometime.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Having spent a lot of time playing GW1 this week for the Wayfarer’s Reverie I think the only things I really miss are:

• The ability to put my skill bar in any order I want
  • Having heroes/reoccurring henchmen instead of a group of random NPCs in quests (Personal story in GW2). Mainly because you can control them. The Pact troops seem to have learned tactics from Rurik’s ghost.

I loved that game for years, I still do, but going back to it has reminded me why I have almost entirely switched to GW2. There were far more things I missed about the sequel, like the ability to move while attacking, dodge attacks, dye my armor properly, transmute skins and loads of others.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”