Your message was suppressed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Due to excessive messaging. <———REALLY, this has got to stop ANET it is now beyond ridiculous. After sending just 2 messages in map chat I get this and can’t send messages again for a good 20 minutes. Please fix this or at least explain the reasoning behind this because it is ludicrous.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

I think capping characters at such a low number is the worst thing they could do. We try and type what we want to say and they cut us off to have to type the rest in another post

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

This has hit myself and some fellow roleplayers, too. That’s bad, ANet. When it hits people having a fairly normal conversation, there’s a real problem.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Hope everyone who’s experiencing this bug reports it.

Im Mudbone.1437

Hope everyone who’s experiencing this bug reports it.

One can only hope they do because the message suppression is lame.

Posted by: Diamandis.7483

Diamandis.7483

In GW2 chat system limits you far to often, maybe add some option to + or – when you hover over peoples names in map chat. Get X amount of – over a decent period of time then we can talk about suppressing people…. But yeah crummy systems as it stands right now.

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”

Im Mudbone.1437

This is to important to get buried. Who else will open up on this, or, is it you just don’t care.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

The suppression system was put into place to combat gold spammers. However it affects everyone. I made this suggestion before in regards to chat suppression. All they have to do is put in another “step” into their code, a “report as spam” button. Once a report has been made against someone then the chat suppression kicks in. When they investigate and if they find the report unwarranted, they could take steps against the reporting party. If the report was warranted they could also take appropriate measures.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

It’s especially great for commanders in WvW.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

This is to important to get buried. Who else will open up on this, or, is it you just don’t care.

I don’t care because I don’t know what you are talking about.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

But what were those two messages.. were they something that someone found offensive or considered spam… guild spam is the bane of map chat and I often hit report when it is to repetitive..

I myself never have issues with the amount of messages I send so not sure why you were restricted to just two before suppression… unless, as I said, there was an underlying reason.

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

It’s ironic because gold spammers often find ways to get around suppression, while regular players are subject to it.

I also remember reading a suggestion about it a while back Seems it’s something ANet can’t or are unwilling to change.

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

I haven’t gotten a mail about gold spamming in months. If this continues, then please continue to suppress.

I think what would be a better suggestion is to not suppress people in your guild/friends list, (not follower).

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

Palador.2170

But what were those two messages.. were they something that someone found offensive or considered spam… guild spam is the bane of map chat and I often hit report when it is to repetitive..

I myself never have issues with the amount of messages I send so not sure why you were restricted to just two before suppression… unless, as I said, there was an underlying reason.

From what I’ve seen, it’s in part based on how similar the two messages are. If you say the exact or near-exact same thing twice, you get nailed. Saying something non-repeating gives you more leeway, but you can still slam into the suppression pretty quickly. Especially if you’re a fast typist.

So, if you have to repeat some instructions for someone? Suppressed. Have to explain something long and complicated? Suppressed.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Due to excessive messaging. <———REALLY, this has got to stop ANET it is now beyond ridiculous. After sending just 2 messages in map chat I get this and can’t send messages again for a good 20 minutes. Please fix this or at least explain the reasoning behind this because it is ludicrous.

No..you will not get supressed from 2 messages,Be honest if you want to be taken seriously.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Yet bots manage to spam their gold sell sites every 5 seconds besides they are hackers or something, idk but they bypass filter anyway. So only legit players get punished, yay.

Palador.2170

No..you will not get supressed from 2 messages,Be honest if you want to be taken seriously.

I’ve been suppressed for 2 messages before.

I was talking to someone (RPing), and they suddenly disappeared. Turns out, they’d not moved in a while, and the warnings about the game kicking you for not moving are kind of buggy, so they’d been kicked without warning. A couple seconds pass, and they’re back. So, I send the same message in case they missed it, again talking in /say.

When I went to continue the conversation, I was suppressed. Two messages CAN be all it takes.

Posted by: Science.6709

Science.6709

It’s especially great for commanders in WvW.

Lol…this is what suppression is. When the commander has been saying “I’m suppressed again” in TS I thought the enemy team laid down suppression fire or something.

Anyway yea, this is a problem in WVW for sure. “Report Spam” seems to work fine in other games.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I’ve been suppressed for 2 messages before.

I was talking to someone (RPing), and they suddenly disappeared. Turns out, they’d not moved in a while, and the warnings about the game kicking you for not moving are kind of buggy, so they’d been kicked without warning. A couple seconds pass, and they’re back. So, I send the same message in case they missed it, again talking in /say.

When I went to continue the conversation, I was suppressed. Two messages CAN be all it takes.

Honestly,ive never ever had it after just 2 messages.Im also a commander,and you know you need to talk alot..even than i Rarely get supressed unless im Really spamming the chat..its frustratingwhen it happens,but just saying it never happend to me before after just 2 messages.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

It’s an algorithm that hasn’t been coded properly. It’s obviously bugged.

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

i said thank you to some people 3 times in 5 minutes in /say and got suppressed for excessive messaging, it’s way too strict.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I hate it too… it’s impossible to look for a dungeon group with this crap going on.

Im Mudbone.1437

YES it was after 2 messages, the third was suppressed and yes they were identical messages(in response to another respondent) sent approximately 10 minutes apart concerning an event starting in Queensdale.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

I have had the same happen to me, announcing which Instigator is up in Southsun Cove. Announce, kill, announce, kill, announce, kill – Instigator spawn, SUPPRESSED ANNOUNCMENT. Wish this would be adjusted so I don’t seem like a jerk by not calling it out in chat for people looking for the event, especially for daily.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

My boyfriend and I send items to each other all the time, and frequently run into this error message after as much as 2 (!) messages in total.

This also makes it impossible to send food or potions to people I dungeon with.

It is super annoying.

Any “spam protection” mechanisms should take into account whether
- I am on the other person’s contact list
- we’re in the same party
… and adjust and hard limits accordingly.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Pixelpumpkin brings up another good point about the mail. I do the same for my girlfriend/guildies, mailing items to salvage or just have & it does not take long to hit the “You have sent too many mails”. Lighten up the restrictions on chat & mail, let players report “Chat Spammers and Gold Sellers via mail” so you (Anet) have marks on accounts to look/investigate at instead of hurting the general players who are social.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Message suppression is kinda shocking, really. It’s a restriction that isn’t somehow aimed at herding people to the cash shop.
(but then, they could always be planning to implement fees for map chat.)

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Yeah you’re understating the # of messages. You get this message if you spam a lot and admit it, you were spamming.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I sure love getting suppressed in WvW, trying to tell my map when something is happening or needs to happen fast. Need to call more to defend a fully upgraded tower? Not today!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yeah you’re understating the # of messages. You get this message if you spam a lot and admit it, you were spamming.

I get this message after exactly TWO private messages to my boyfriend. I can send two, I cannot send 3.

There is no understatement here.

Im Mudbone.1437

As I explained to another respondent it was after the SECOND(the 3rd attempt was suppressed) identical message sent in map chat that an event was starting in Queensdale. Why don’t you try it yourself before coming in here and basically calling me a lier.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

As I explained to another respondent it was after the SECOND(the 3rd attempt was suppressed) identical message sent in map chat that an event was starting in Queensdale. Why don’t you try it yourself before coming in here and basically calling me a lier.

I agree, this has happened to me before as well. Duplicate messages being posted more than 2 times end up getting suppressed. Sometimes it may take more, but most of the time 2 seems to be the limit. Once you get hit with it, it takes awhile to go away too.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

really not spamming.

queensdale, i was /map the various group events

/map troll up [vale waypoint] – then killed the troll
/map oak up [phinney waypoint] – then killed the oakheart
/map troll up [vale waypoint] —- message suppressed due to excessive messaging…

never said a thing from logging in to saying those. so in the time it takes the troll runestone to respawn you can’t say 3 things.

Im Mudbone.1437

With ANET wanting us to start doing more than just one or two events over and over this really needs to be changed so we can alert the map about these events as they are coming up without suppressing repeated text.

Posted by: slycere.1296

slycere.1296

It is ironic that even with this system in place, gold sellers were still able to spam LA map chat with their wares (happened in NSP where I had to report-block the bot just to clear map chat. I was even surprised that those still exist). Before blocking the bot, I counted 6 map chats sent with almost the same (if not the same) content. It was clear that the bot was bypassing this filter successfully.

I too was a victim of this “3-strikes you’re muted” rule when I was calling out Instigator spawns in Southsun. I don’t believe this is intended and a tweak to the spam settings is definitely in order.

Shyld Slycere, Synful Slycere, Syn Slycere,
Bryndle Slycere, Bryl Slycere, Flytes Slycere,
Shyde Slycere – Northern Shiverpeaks

Im Mudbone.1437

It is ironic that even with this system in place, gold sellers were still able to spam LA map chat with their wares (happened in NSP where I had to report-block the bot just to clear map chat. I was even surprised that those still exist). Before blocking the bot, I counted 6 map chats sent with almost the same (if not the same) content. It was clear that the bot was bypassing this filter successfully.

I too was a victim of this “3-strikes you’re muted” rule when I was calling out Instigator spawns in Southsun. I don’t believe this is intended and a tweak to the spam settings is definitely in order.

I haven’t seen in map chat nor received game-mail spam from gold sellers in a while now, that is a good thing, BUT, I would rather get it and report it when it occurs and keep my freedom to type in chat without being suppressed.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Agreed this is so annoying when you’re trying to help guildies in guild events and this pops up, such bad mechanics..

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Yeah its a bit ludicrous, a couple months back I got a friend hooked on GW2 and I was witness to the very 1st time he spoke in chat at something in map chat and he got the suppressed message warning pop up, this was his FIRST time typing in chat and.. well.. regardless to say but we busted up laughing.

Wasn’t really a big deal but there is something clearly wrong with the message system :P

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

It seems to be buggy sometimes. I’ve had it happen in normal WvW chat after just a couple of non-identical messages. Report it as a bug if it seems out of line.

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

Hardly anyone speaks in this, the most anti-social MMO I’ve ever played, unless ofc it’s to spam LFG FOTM level 429!!!one!11!
They even spoke more on swtor chat and that was empty by the end. Guess that’s how single player MMO’s are going. We need some real, old school MMO imo.

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Of course ANET wont respond to this.. for fear they may end up having to repeat their same pre-printed answer and risk getting themselves suppreseed by their own mechanic …maybe then they will finally have to admit… its just another poorly implemented mechanic.

Posted by: darkshame.6025

darkshame.6025

In my opinion, they should add flood control to the chat system instead of a cap like you do in forums. (like every min or so you’ll be able to post a message) It’s better than posting 3 messages, get suppressed for 20 mins and post again.

In general, it feels like they want to prevent spam than reduced spam. (if you know what I mean)