Zero armors added since launch...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Still WTB skirtless medium armor for poor neglected males.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

They focus a bit too much on the gem store…
I mean you can get your new looks, if you have a credit card…
You could also get a ridiculous amount of gold and convert into gems – so your end game is grinding gold for new looks! So really they haven’t lied! grind gold -> get gems -> get new looks – TA DA! MAGIC – sarcasm/not really a fan of this either

I think there was a turning point in time with games… It seems now-a-days games focus (a bit too much) on how to get money out of their players, or potential avenues for let players buy their crap. (Good example, D3 – RMAH cuts that blizzard would get. At least they’re removing AH completely next year.)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

They can’t even add in pants for females, so why are you surprised?

Zero Day.2594

They can’t even add in pants for females, so why are you surprised?

We can trade you our medium, male, leather skirts if you want.

Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

I swear every single type of leg armor in this game is a skirt.

Zero Day.2594

I swear every single type of leg armor in this game is a skirt.

:| and that was the joke….

Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

Summary: Armor sets have been added to the game. Some players don’t want to pay for gems or convert gold to get them.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Armor set is much harder to design than weapons. All weapons are the exact same across sizes. You just scale them from small (asura) to large (norn/charr)

Armor? Not only do you have to scale for size but you have to scale for race. The layout of armor on Charr is much more different than an Asura, for e.g.

This is why they constantly come out with backpieces. It’s something that scales easily just as weapons do.

What? How is it difficult when they don’t even bother to try?

So far all they do is stretch the human armor over charr models.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

With the ability to purchase gem shop armor with gold earned in game I am not certain that the distinction between in game armor and gem shop armor holds up. You can get armor skins introduced after launch by playing the game.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Summary: Armor sets have been added to the game. Some players don’t want to pay for gems or convert gold to get them.

I think that’s the issue, though.

Achievements are kinda.. Not really counting. Gem store is Gemstore. In terms of actual in game armor, which you can just get dropped here and there, we haven’t had any.

Like, why can’t we have something like the ‘Godset’ where we have gauntlets of Grenth, shoulders of balthzar, melandru’s claws, dwayna’s divine feet and the visage of Lyssa? It seems silly to have a million weapon skins and yet hardly any armor skins in contrast.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

With the ability to purchase gem shop armor with gold earned in game I am not certain that the distinction between in game armor and gem shop armor holds up. You can get armor skins introduced after launch by playing the game.

many people find armor obtained mostly through gold not to be as entertaining. This is why the best armor in games tends to be crafted/drops/gated content. Because it enriches the world, its not so much just the gold angle but thats all there is to it. Also lets be clear, only 5 armor sets have been added via gem store after opening game. 3 of them have the same theme, soooo still not really growing much in terms of new appearance options

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

many people find armor obtained mostly through gold not to be as entertaining.

And I am sure that there are many people who do not find the idea of hoping for a rare drop of just the right skin with just the right stats of just the right level to be entertaining. If the desire is for more RNG involvement in the acquisition of armor, ick.

Spending currency earned in game to buy the armor piece you want is essentially the same whether you are using gold on the TP, dungeon tokens at a vendor, karma at a vendor, or gold for gems in the gem shop.

This is why the best armor in games tends to be crafted/drops/gated content. Because it enriches the world, its not so much just the gold angle but thats all there is to it.

In some games the best armor is exclusive to real money transactions.

In some games the best armor is tied to vendors.

In some games the best armor is acquired through drops and is bound on acquire (this is often because the financial model of the game is built around subscription fees.

In some games BiS armor acquisition is as you describe. This is usually because such feed into the game’s financial model.

Also lets be clear, only 5 armor sets have been added via gem store after opening game. 3 of them have the same theme, soooo still not really growing much in terms of new appearance options

A different topic entirely in my opinion. I agree that faster introduction of new armor sets would be an improvement, but I tend to favor the gem shop approach over crafting and/or rare drop approach.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The reason we have so many weapons and so little armor is the effort made in making the armor.

You make a weapon it’s pretty much the same for every race.

You make a armor and you need heavy, medium and light, in six different pieces for five different races.

The amount of effort and time it takes to make new armor is multiple times longer than it takes to make new weapons.

Which doesn’t mean Anet isn’t working on new armor. It means that many weapons can come out in the time it takes to make new armor sets.

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

That my people, is the price of no subscription fee.

Totally cool with it too. Thanks.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Gem store armors are also in-game. But I understand what you mean.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

The issue with only having new armor in the gem store is the “pay to win” factor.

Now you might say “what are you crazy? They’re only for looks, how can you say it’s pay to win if it gives you no stats?”.

Well you see, when the game is based all around looks and not stats, and all the new looks they add can be purchased with real world money. Then it becomes pay to win.

Generally in GW2, despite the new ascended armors the game is still all about looks. Unless you’re doing high level fractals, ascended changes nothing about the game. So GW2 is still all about new looks. This is obvious which is why they’ve added new weapon skins on various new events, as well as added new armor skins for some.

The overwhelming bulk of these new skins have only been added to the gem shop or are obtainable in some way through the gem shop (such as purchasable dragon coffers). Because of this if we want any of the new skins they’ve added, we can just buy them (or gamble for them which should be illegal).

Now I fully agree and understand the need to add new looks to the gem shop. They’re a company, they need to pay their workers, but to only add new looks to the gem shop and no where else is the issue. It’s something that can destroy or greatly diminish a game’s worth.

I’ve heard many game developers or companies say “oh so what if they can just pay to win? If they want to, let them! It’s their choice, if they don’t want to they won’t”. In actuality this causes more harm than good to a game.

Players will naturally be inclined to take the most “cost benefit” route possible in a game. Not saying all players will, but that’s the most natural course in a player’s mind. Because of this if you give players the chance to just “pay to win”, odds are they will. This will greatly reduce a game’s life span because if a player can just buy his way to the finish, he’ll have no reason to continue playing.

The players of GW2 (generally) want new looks, it’s what the game is about. If in every (or most) events they added new weapons or armors which could only be obtained through gameplay, the players would naturally be inclined to play the game more to obtain those.

With this drive they wouldn’t need to time gate so much of the new content added. Because with a real reason to play, people would just play the game for the sake of playing the game to obtain what they want.

They wouldn’t need this “look! New shiny content every 2 weeks! Please stay interested!” thing they have going on now – although I do appreciate the new content a lot.

Because most of the new things added for a player to achieve can be simply purchased with real world money, the game’s value is greatly diminished as well as the player’s experience.

(edited by Delryn.7235)

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Personally, I’ve seen a fair few people wearing Phoenix armor, an occasional person wearing Krytan armor, and a rare few people wearing the other types. This absolutely pales in comparison to the number of people I see wearing Temple Armor (all armor classes,) Gladiator Armor, Citadel of Flame Armor (all armor classes,) Duelist Armor, Tier 3 Human Cultural Armor (Always female, of course, light or medium,) Order of Whispers (Medium) Armor, Conjurer Armor, pretty much any female crafted armor, and light Arah armor. And those are just the really common ones.

Point is, the idea that the best armor sets are relegated to the gem store, and that masses of people are paying for them in a “pay to win” scenario is, in my evaluation, ridiculous. The gem store armors are a small part of the full set of armors in the game, and a small portion of the armors that seem to get used the most. Could it be because they’re expensive? Maybe, but a lot of people don’t seem to have trouble coughing up the dough for cultural armor or flashy weapons that cost more than multiple gem store armor sets, whereas relatively few people even seem to like the Aetherblade suits.

If people being able to purchase items with real-world money somehow devalues that item for you, I think you’re putting too much stock in “exclusivity” of whatever it is. There are a ton of flashy items (high-end weapons, titles, dungeon armor) that can’t be practically bought with real-world money by most people, so I don’t see why it’s so absolutely necessary that all new armor sets, armor sets that were not in the game at the time of purchase, be exclusively un-buyable for real world money, either.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Still hoping GW 1 heavy armor is inc.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Personally, I’ve seen a fair few people wearing Phoenix armor, an occasional person wearing Krytan armor, and a rare few people wearing the other types. This absolutely pales in comparison to the number of people I see wearing Temple Armor (all armor classes,) Gladiator Armor, Citadel of Flame Armor (all armor classes,) Duelist Armor, Tier 3 Human Cultural Armor (Always female, of course, light or medium,) Order of Whispers (Medium) Armor, Conjurer Armor, pretty much any female crafted armor, and light Arah armor. And those are just the really common ones.

Point is, the idea that the best armor sets are relegated to the gem store, and that masses of people are paying for them in a “pay to win” scenario is, in my evaluation, ridiculous. The gem store armors are a small part of the full set of armors in the game, and a small portion of the armors that seem to get used the most. Could it be because they’re expensive? Maybe, but a lot of people don’t seem to have trouble coughing up the dough for cultural armor or flashy weapons that cost more than multiple gem store armor sets, whereas relatively few people even seem to like the Aetherblade suits.

If people being able to purchase items with real-world money somehow devalues that item for you, I think you’re putting too much stock in “exclusivity” of whatever it is. There are a ton of flashy items (high-end weapons, titles, dungeon armor) that can’t be practically bought with real-world money by most people, so I don’t see why it’s so absolutely necessary that all new armor sets, armor sets that were not in the game at the time of purchase, be exclusively un-buyable for real world money, either.

the main issue is that they havent really added too many cool new looks, even counting store armor, you really only have 5 sets, 3 of which have the same theme. the side issue which is related, is that they have added nothing in game. The real thing developers should take away from the OP is

he feels like we havent had much new armor, and that he enjoys looking forward to new armors that he can get while doing new interesting things in the game.

I feel similar, i really dont have beef with some TP armor, i even have one set, but i dont think that most armor should be introduced by TP alone. The world is enriched more by having things that are created within it, from game activities. Getting a lucky drop, earning though mass killing, finding in a hidden area, creating out of component pieces, makes the game feel richer. This is subjective of course, mathematically it doesnt matter how its obtained, or whether its source is a random drop/token/craft or what you buy with real money, but it just doesnt feel the same for a lot of people. Doesnt make them want to play more.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

don’t forget the store bought only Aether and magitech …oh wait those were cosmetic and well even in the realm of cosmetics there haven’t been any new ones you’re right OP.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Completely unrelated to everything that at least I was talking about.

Everything you said is true, but completely missed the point.

I’m not talking about the Black Lion armors being too expensive, or not exclusive enough. I’m talking about the fact that no armors have been added into the game in which you can obtain directly and exclusively within the actual game via gameplay – thus enriching the game itself.

To think that not a single armor set has been added into the actual game since launch, which has been over a year now is a shame.

I completely approve of gem store bought armors, I myself bought a few. My issue is when there’s only gem store bought armors.