Zommoros told me a secret

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lomopop.7028

Lomopop.7028

Best thread ever! I have no clue how to solve this riddle, but it is so much fun reading the story along with everyone’s attempts to figure it out.

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

People of Tyria have seen Windriders already – but Karka are new to them, hence I’d assume Lemark is referring to those as ‘alien creatures’.

Posted by: Kolzi.5928

Kolzi.5928

If you can see your reflection in it, it’s far more likely to be crystals than mystic coins.

So:

Crystals
Vials of Powerful Blood
Eldritch Scroll
???

And for the record, I give this about 95% probability of being mad memoires complete edition. Whatever the last item is, it has some sort of cultural significance and has a pretty good chance of coming from lions arch (which lines up even more with being mad memoires).

I don’t have the skill points to buy an eldritch scroll to check right now, but if anyone wants to check if those 3 items go together… no known recipe uses all three.

Try not to get into super literal half life 3-esque translations people (High spirits, Alcohol Confirmed!). Stick with what makes sense within the story.

(edited by Kolzi.5928)

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

A city with blocks and alleyways- DR, Ebonhawke or LA. LA is the only place with a bay. The NPCs in LA are also currently hotly punishing looters after the destruction of the city. The object he wanted he had to steal, maybe from the merchants. He’s two blocks away from the bay, and may have come from near the sewers- So near where the mystic forge used to be. This failed theft takes place two days after he acquires the ghostly item from a merchant.

Lion’s Arch is not on a bay. It’s on a harbor. Google GW2 Bay and you’ll see there are a limited number of “bays” in Tyria. However, one of them is notably in Southsun…

Harbors and bays are not mutually exclusive. In fact, a lot of harbors are built on bays – LA included.

A harbor is different from and separate from a bay. A harbor might be located IN a bay, but they are still different things. (http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-among-gulfs-bays-harbors-and-coves). For our purposes in this thread, what matters is whether John is making such a distinction. If he is drawing particular attention to a bay, then there a limited number of possibilities. If he is just making reference to a body of water that adjoins the sea, then it’s not as useful a clue. The fact that all the karka references work well with the bay reference (though not with the alley reference) may be important. The real question is whether John realizes (or cares) about the distinction.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: spritefire.5234

spritefire.5234

Definitely mystic coins…
“item itself was a bit too everyday " coins come from dailys.
on the gw2 wiki the coins are listed as “Part of Zommoros’ favorite trades.”
a stack of coins forms a cylinder and they are also reflective.

spritefire.5234

Mystic coins + Eldritch Scroll + 2 other things make a lot of unique weapons.. even Arachnophobia which is a Halloween event item.
That said, knowing that they make a ton of other things it’s not going to narrow things down using the forge to guess

Rabe.2456

edit 3 (in story form): Lemark wasn’t much of a haggler. the merchant had taken almost every copper he owned, but it was worth it. He was positive this time, no more fakes, no more copies, forgeries or lies, this was it. He could feel it, sinister…ghostly, it felt weird to hold, but he didn’t care, his journey was one quarter complete.

Coming back to this, have we decided, what it really is yet? Do we think we can buy this item from a regular NPC? It could also be an item available at the Trading Post.

When searching for ‘ghostly’, I find a Lvl80 “Ghostly Spineguard”, which is available for 100g (but Ordered for 10g). I know I may be taking this too literal here, but i’d consider it. (There’s also a lower level version, but you can’t put that into the forge).

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

edit 7:
“Deja vu”

Seems Lemark is such an Adventurer.

Instead he saw the smug face of Zomorros.
He had almost forgotten his hate for the being. It was exactly what he needed – a reminder of why he was here.

i know RnG is suck everyone hate zomorros for that.

He stared directly at the charging beast. If he had to, he would wipe this entire species off the face of the planet.

I feel the rage here, there is something pricey he cant afford and failed of thievery attempt.

Precursors

no more fakes, no more copies, forgeries or lies, this was it.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Posted by: Sarasv.8962

Sarasv.8962

My thoughts are “dullened blade” what if he is mining for something, ore in south sun, and not killing the karma. What if the karka are simply in his way of mining. Hitting rock esp for resources like precious stones, chiseling through the debri can cause a blade to duller quickly.

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Lol wishful thinking re the precursors. It’d be awesome if it was precursors, and then the last item was a precursor weapon for the precursor. :’)

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Sarasv.8962

Sarasv.8962

Also, the other thing is “geysers” against a wall. My mind immediately went to the skipping stones Jumping puzzle and getting to the top…there are mobs up there I think. And a champ. It can also refers to the rumbling of the geyser at the karka nest center?

Posted by: ShibakiBarrows.2458

ShibakiBarrows.2458

John, methinks we’ll need a clue for the next item if we hope to see any more legitimate progress

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Someone made a comment about Ectoplasm, which reminded me of something.

One of the karma vendors (I think it’s the one in Godslost Swamp) sells Frozen Ecto, a reference to Wintersday in GW1. Has anyone tried using that in the Forge?

spritefire.5234

If it was a precursor the price of all lengendaries would drop (along with current precursors) and wouldn’t be as unique anymore and 90% of the game will just be puddles of legendary effects flooding the ground.

Maybe its a precursor for some kind of new legendary, maybe legendary backpiece, but if its easy to obtain it isn’t so ‘legendary’.

Posted by: Ironwill.5389

Ironwill.5389

My guess:

Item 1: “ghostly” “one quarter finished”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ghostly_Doubloon#Masterwork

Item 2: reference to bay in blood tide coast and “high spirits” and zommoros likes wine

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bottle_of_Wine

Or
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bottle_of_Rum_

Pirates are a pretty relentless mob and seriouS about their liquor

Item3: vials of blood (blood tide coast, bloody pirates… Killing lots of karka… Sort of fits)

Item4:
Rune of the mad king (just a crazy guess) haven’t seen any clues yet but fits the whole blood and madness thing

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

So Eldritch scroll, mystic coins and vials of powerful blood.

Sounds like a new weapon skin.

no weapon smith blades work with those three. So either dull blade means nothing, or thats not it

Serophous.9085

If you can see your reflection in it, it’s far more likely to be crystals than mystic coins.

So:

Crystals
Vials of Powerful Blood
Eldritch Scroll
???

doesnt work

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Lol wishful thinking re the precursors. It’d be awesome if it was precursors, and then the last item was a precursor weapon for the precursor. :’)

I said “Anet understands our grind for them”

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: ShibakiBarrows.2458

ShibakiBarrows.2458

I think we’re probably on to something with the justifications for Eldritch Scroll + Mystic Coins +Vials of Powerful Blood. But we’d need the last clue to find out whether we’re close or ridiculously off.

Rabe.2456

Dulled blade means probably the blade he was using to fight off all the wildlife in Southsun.

Posted by: Lycan.1762

Lycan.1762

1st Item – Ghostly Halloween Themed – Probably Gift of Souls or Gift of Ascalon (or Eldritch Scroll by some players thoughts)
2nd Item – 40 Mystic Coins (equivalent to 2 months of hard work, Zomorros likes it, it’s shiny, and not trivial in large amounts)
3rd Item – 250 Karka Shells (Lemark fought hard the shelled beasts and was tired of the clinking noises of swords, again, 2 months of combat on an alien cursed place)
4th ItemIMO yet to be revealed

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

what would you consider the noise karka make when they move, if not clink?

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

snip.

“What does it say about a person when your imminent death is an uninteresting topic for pondering”

Maybe its a precursor for some kind of new legendary, maybe legendary backpiece, but if its easy to obtain it isn’t so ‘legendary’.

Yay! legendary backpiece! long Capes for Heavies, longside Scarf for Medium/Light. make it 2 years to get one please.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The same noise that crabs make. A kind of clicking/clattering noise.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

The same noise that crabs make. A kind of clicking/clattering noise.

that’s kind of what I’m getting at. I think the item is a karka shell, not vial of blood. Plus that is a kind of thing, I wouldn’t think that the vials of blood are actually just consumed by karka that we get by killing it. That seems like an impossible diet.

Serophous.9085

1st Item – Ghostly Halloween Themed – Probably Gift of Souls or Gift of Ascalon (or Eldritch Scroll by some players thoughts)
2nd Item – 40 Mystic Coins (equivalent to 2 months of hard work, Zomorros likes it, it’s shiny, and not trivial in large amounts)
3rd Item – 250 Karka Shells (Lemark fought hard the shelled beasts and was tired of the clinking noises of swords, again, 2 months of combat on an alien cursed place)

Gift of ascalon cant be put into the forge.
Mystic coins and karka shells work, but thats it
I dont have a gift of souls , but i dont think the gifts crafted by the dungeon vendors can be used in the forge (i can be wrong)

and if we are going with karka shells, Crystals (which say zommoros loves), doesnt go with karka shells either

(edited by Serophous.9085)

Posted by: Roquen.5406

Roquen.5406

Could it maybe be a way to exchange fractal skins?

Posted by: Sanathas.1758

Sanathas.1758

The final item could be the ghostly greatsword from the delaqua familly , that match the hints.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

could be right but you made 1 mistake

2 months of hard work is 80 mystic coins!!!

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Could be karka shells and vials of blood. Infusions use both.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

As a preemptive strike, I think it’d be a good idea to buy out as much Karka Shells and Passion Flowers as possible from the TP.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

As a preemptive strike, I think it’d be a good idea to buy out as much Karka Shells and Passion Flowers as possible from the TP.

He says as he most likely puts up Shells and Flowers for sale….

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Dannyus.2518

Dannyus.2518

i think that cylindrical case is either elonian vine or karma vial

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

anybody consider the first part as one of the products of the recipes miyani sells? perhaps of the dark or of stealth?

Posted by: Twinny.9304

Twinny.9304

what about Spiral shells? although they are worthless and although they are soul bound on acquire they would take a lot of Grinding Karka or other bay/beach like creatures (crabs) to get a large amount.

Twinny Todd – Guardian – FSP [PunK]
Big Bad Bunny – Necro – FSP [PunK]

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

what about Spiral shells? although they are worthless and although they are soul bound on acquire they would take a lot of Grinding Karka or other bay/beach like creatures (crabs) to get a large amount.

Junk items don’t go in to the Forge.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Welcome to the art of being cryptic.

I find it refreshing that we are allowed to nut out clues like this, to have wild guesses at stuff, using our powers of deduction for something in the game. I think it’s good that we can flex some mental muscle.

edit 7:
Lemark rested his back against the rocky wall.
“Deja vu,” he thought wearily. Even the thought had grown tiresome.
Two months he’d been here. Two whole months of combat. He had almost died so often that the novelty was wearing off.
“What does it say about a person when your imminent death is an uninteresting topic for pondering,” he thought to himself.
He was tired of everything – this place, the clinking noises he made everywhere he went, the shelled beasts, and especially tired of the never-ending bloodshed.
He leaned his head back, closed his eyes and tried to imagine being back home.
He had almost forgotten his hate for the being. It was exactly what he needed – a reminder of why he was here.
A slight rumbling forced his attention back to reality as one of the creatures noticed his intrusion. He stared directly at the charging beast. If he had to, he would wipe this entire species off the face of the planet.

There’s only one place I can think of that makes clinking noises everywhere you go, and that’s the Brand. It’s like walking on broken glass.

While it can be argued that these creatures are shelled beasts, they’re definitely of the same incarnation as the Shatterer and could be determined to have a shell-like exterior.

The slight rumbling could be a dragon flying overhead.

The rest I’m not too sure about, but I figured I’d drop in my two copper.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

If it was a precursor the price of all lengendaries would drop (along with current precursors) and wouldn’t be as unique anymore and 90% of the game will just be puddles of legendary effects flooding the ground.

As it stands legendaries aren’t as “legendary” as their precursors are. Precursors and RNG are the number one thing that keeps many people from ever being able to make their legendary. For what it’s worth, that basically just means your precursor should be as valuable as your legendary weapon.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Anyone tried combining the new foil wrapper with the crafting mat crystal powder?

Posted by: Brawldennis.4380

Brawldennis.4380

Anyone tried combining the new foil wrapper with the crafting mat crystal powder?

So that’s what the spoons are for!

Posted by: Skoomagott.6140

Skoomagott.6140

-Zomorros knew it as well, Lemark had seen the desire in his eyes before, this was one of his favorites.-

It all makes sense now.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

-Zomorros knew it as well, Lemark had seen the desire in his eyes before, this was one of his favorites.-

It all makes sense now.

Induced psychosis? Hmmm seems to be plenty of that without using the forge.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Welcome to the art of being cryptic.

I find it refreshing that we are allowed to nut out clues like this, to have wild guesses at stuff, using our powers of deduction for something in the game. I think it’s good that we can flex some mental muscle.

edit 7:
Lemark rested his back against the rocky wall.
“Deja vu,” he thought wearily. Even the thought had grown tiresome.
Two months he’d been here. Two whole months of combat. He had almost died so often that the novelty was wearing off.
“What does it say about a person when your imminent death is an uninteresting topic for pondering,” he thought to himself.
He was tired of everything – this place, the clinking noises he made everywhere he went, the shelled beasts, and especially tired of the never-ending bloodshed.
He leaned his head back, closed his eyes and tried to imagine being back home.
A slight rumbling forced his attention back to reality as one of the creatures noticed his intrusion. He stared directly at the charging beast. If he had to, he would wipe this entire species off the face of the planet.

There’s only one place I can think of that makes clinking noises everywhere you go, and that’s the Brand. It’s like walking on broken glass.

While it can be argued that these creatures are shelled beasts, they’re definitely of the same incarnation as the Shatterer and could be determined to have a shell-like exterior.

The slight rumbling could be a dragon flying overhead.

The rest I’m not too sure about, but I figured I’d drop in my two copper.

It’s the bit about the geysers that points to south sun in the previous clue.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Eileane.3845

Eileane.3845

I hope Zommoros told him the secret that I will get a precursor drop soon. Am clearing the whole world map the third time now….

Boxie Togg (main)… probably Tyrias only Asuran Mesmer that ultimately fails at jumping puzzles
Stinky McLane… the only Necro known to have a toothpaste fetish
Lefty (give me a second) Fiddlesticks… one Engineer, two clumbsy hands…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You know who is really sensitive and protective of their culture? The Tengu. Is there anything Tengu-related that would be viable?

Posted by: Skoomagott.6140

Skoomagott.6140

Maybe Lemark took a spoon and lost his sense of reality. What if the story was originally another…

Lemark wasn’t much of a haggler. the merchant had taken almost every copper he owned, but it was worth it. He was positive this time, no more fakes, no more copies, forgeries or lies, this was it. High quality foil wrapper. He could feel it, sinister…ghostly, it felt weird to hold. Zomorros knew it as well, Lemark had seen the desire in his eyes before, this was one of his favorites.

(2 days later)
Lemark sprinted down the alleyway, his spoon still in his hand, an endeavor likely to leave one examining refuse closer than generally preferable, but this wasn’t his first time. He slowed for a moment to glance behind him, illusions of merchants still chasing with guards closely behind them. The crystal powder always makes him paranoid, he should not have tested it himself. He was surprised they were still there, the powders quality was suprisingly good. Those pirates knew what they were doing. But whatever, he paused for a moment because he needed to take care of his small business. As there grew a puddle between his feet, Lemark started to doze off and fell into the muddy waters.

He dreamed of being a hero, exploring the Southsun Cove island while exterminating every single karka who dares to stand in his way.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

So we have an Eldritch scroll, some number of elonian wine and something you can harvest from southsun.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

Maybe Lemark took a spoon and lost his sense of reality. What if the story was originally another…

Lemark wasn’t much of a haggler. the merchant had taken almost every copper he owned, but it was worth it. He was positive this time, no more fakes, no more copies, forgeries or lies, this was it. High quality foil wrapper. He could feel it, sinister…ghostly, it felt weird to hold. Zomorros knew it as well, Lemark had seen the desire in his eyes before, this was one of his favorites.

(2 days later)
Lemark sprinted down the alleyway, his spoon still in his hand, an endeavor likely to leave one examining refuse closer than generally preferable, but this wasn’t his first time. He slowed for a moment to glance behind him, illusions of merchants still chasing with guards closely behind them. The crystal powder always makes him paranoid, he should not have tested it himself. He was surprised they were still there, the powders quality was suprisingly good. Those pirates knew what they were doing. But whatever, he paused for a moment because he needed to take care of his small business. As there grew a puddle between his feet, Lemark started to doze off and fell into the muddy waters.

He dreamed of being a hero, exploring the Southsun Cove island while exterminating every single karka who dares to stand in his way.

That was amazing

Posted by: Atalar.9874

Atalar.9874

The hints coupled per item in what I see as (possible) key words:

Edit 3; Merchant, expensive, forgeries? (easy to fake?), sinister/ghostly (the copper is not part of the hint).

Edit 4-5; Stealing, being chased, heritage, everyday object, carrying a sealed cylindrical case, attempt failed for today, muddy bay waters.
Productive week, failures, reflects, trivial on it’s own, power in numbers, one of Zomorros’ favorites.

Edit 6-7; Geysers, exhausted bloody sore, deadly aliens, many attempts, dulled blade, not fun.
Two months, combat, clinking noises, shelled beasts, bloodshed, charging beast, wiping the entire species if needed.

First item isn’t a whole lot of information but the Eldritch scroll is my favorite candidate. Eldritch means spooky or similar things and it is quite costly. It’s also purchased from a merchant and scrolls are easy to fake I guess.

Second item is confusing to me, the mystic coins are definitely one of Zomorros favorites, they tie in to the everyday part, it could be reflective and they get better the more you use in most recipes. However I’m not sure what stealing has to do with it, the running through an alley and the bay. Then again it would make sense as all mystic forge recipes that create weapons use a combination of an Eldritch Scroll and Mystic Coins.

The third item seems fairly straightforward but it might not be. Geysers, deadly “aliens”, clinking noises and shelled beasts all seem to point to Karka as they were called alien creatures from the sea, they are shelled and they do make weird noises. Farming them for 2 months and being willing to wipe out the species to get what you want means it’s either a lot of something or something rare. This basically leads to either Karka Shells (which don’t combine with the Eldritch scroll in the forge), the Ancient Karka shell (which doesn’t go into the mystic forge at all as far as I know), the Sclerite Karka Shell (which also doesn’t combine with Mystic Coins or the Eldritch Scroll) or maybe one of the 2 exotic Karka-like bows (Arthropoda or Crustacea) but that’d be the first time a non-mystic forge created weapon is used in the recipe for another.

Alternatively I’m looking at this all wrong and we are looking at a recipe using items like the Ghostly Doubloon. As we also don’t know the result yet it could be the Mystic Coins + Eldritch scroll which is used for weapons is wrong.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

With all the ‘ghost’ stuff, ‘heritage’ and ‘blades’ mentioned, my guess is that the recipe will output The Delaqua Family Blade.

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)