a love/hate relationship with festivals

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

first world problems here

Even in gw1 i used to enjoy the game nicely and joyfully…and then a festival comes out such as haloween.

I try out different minigames till i notice a way to make money….a ridiculous amounts of money…

So i farm and farm and think about all the stuff i can get with the money im getting .

And then after a day or two of intense farming i start missing playing “normaly”, leveling my alt, doing dungeons.

And then comes a time where you are thorn between using the limited festival time to gain tons of money or ignoring it and enjoying the game with other stuff that you were doing before..

Lunar festival isnt a exception

Your thoughts?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I play the game normaly anyway, but then again I sleep on my gold hoard like a dragon so I dont really need to gain more quickly.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Out of the many MMO’s I’ve played over the years, season and holiday events here are amongst my least favorite. There’s nothing inherently wrong with them, they’re just not what I’d prefer to have them be.

Its a first world problem quite entirely. I don’t see it as much good cause to gripe about them, but since the topic’s here…

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

I can understand your mixed feelings,
for me festivals in GW2 can be a bit of a pain sometimes due to how they place the rewards.

Instead of “awesome some fun mini-games and activities to try and get new rewards from” a lot of the ones added are “ok I need to farm an additional 70g by the end of the week to ensure I get all rewards”.

I’d much pre-fare if they just required you to complete the festival/ festival related activities without the double cost. I.E in SAB you generate 0 gold but the rewards cost gold in addition to the token so for each hour you spend there you actually loose gold.

This mini-festival is actually the first gold positive festival they’ve had (I.E net result will be an increase in gold not a decrease for each hour spent in festival activities assuming you’re after all rewards).

NB: I still advocate that there be ultra hard to get festival items, just that gold is not the basis for acquisition or the difficulty in acquiring it.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Instead of “awesome some fun mini-games and activities to try and get new rewards from” a lot of the ones added are “ok I need to farm an additional 70g by the end of the week to ensure I get all rewards”.

And this, right here, is EXACTLY why GW2 festivals are amongst my least favorite. Thank you, Conski, for verbalizing that so concisely.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

while i do agree to a extent with you, the thing i was saying wasnt about me farming for gold in order to get the festival rewards.

It was me using the festival to make a profit, cause when it the festival ends that way of making profit most likely wont be available.

And heres where my topic somes. After a while i miss playing in the vast world with events and dungeons and guildies and pvp and some wvw since im constantly spending my time in the farming spot or in front of a TP npc

Posted by: Paulus magintie.7432

Paulus magintie.7432

I remember having to get the tokens, then you exchange them for prizes, like a fair ground.

I don’t like having to pay as well as tokens, I understand the money sink thing but come on, exclude it from the festivals.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I usually like the festivals.

I’m not feeling this one. its just too phoned in for me. I dunno…

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: poisonality.8972

poisonality.8972

the festivals I like, but ending up with 50 different currencies that have no use outside of the festival sucks. we should have direct rewards from activities, not yet another inventory slot (or 5) being used for tickets/skulls what the hell ever else they decide to throw at us.

then comes the oh so great “where in the hell is the proper vendor” mini-game where you run between 20 NPC’s trying to figure out where this junk you collected is to be used
in both games I have one character dedicated to holding all of this junk, and do not even remember what most of it is for.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

the festivals I like, but ending up with 50 different currencies that have no use outside of the festival sucks. we should have direct rewards from activities, not yet another inventory slot (or 5) being used for tickets/skulls what the hell ever else they decide to throw at us.

then comes the oh so great “where in the hell is the proper vendor” mini-game where you run between 20 NPC’s trying to figure out where this junk you collected is to be used

How else will they force/trick/convince you to buy more bank slots and bag slots? I mean really…

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!