Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: monkeyofmist.8529

monkeyofmist.8529

yeah i was told by some guy that if you jump off the bird building in divinitys reach in the crown pavilion and go down the hole, theres a small chance of a balloon attaching to your back and floating to a secret room, i gave it a go and had been doing it for the last half hour and finally the balloon appeared and i floated towards an old retro style 8bit looking room, there was a chest in the middle of it but i didnt make it to the room before the balloon popped and i reappeared at the waypoint lol

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

It is too soon, plain and simple.

you know whats too soon? an average of 88 people die per day due to guns in the US… so potentially 88 people died today in the US at the wrong end of a gun… and yet this game still has guns in it! like what the hell man! it’s tooo kitten soon!

In 2014, more people were killed by knives than by rifles, as many as five times more. Yet ANet allows knives to be shown killing people in game. It’s very offensive. They should consider those who read about someone somewhere getting killed by a knife and pull all knives from the game until enough time has passed since the last person killed with a knife has gone by.

too much win
/thread

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Wretchedscar.4796

Wretchedscar.4796

I too would like to say Thank You to Arena net. This has been a fracking blast. NEEOWWWRRRWOOOSH! Ignore the naysayers, this is fun. kudos.

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Anet should comment and act upon on what has been said in this discussion, remove this game mod ASAP, it is only making the kids happy… in some way?? not sure why they think its funny?

Because most of the player base thinks is funny?

More correctly: you THINK most of the player base thinks it is funny. That’s called an assumption. I’ve seen both positive and (very) negative reactions in game. Without a poll, you’ll never know how many think it’s fun, and how many just log off (like me).

But… but… BUT… I know the 96,7% of the player base thinks this is funny ‘cos i have my sources. If you don’t that your issues.
Also there are more positive post about the joke in the forums than otherwise. Also the few there are complaining are the same person with different nicknames, we all know that.
did you log off? Good for you! Now get out to the sun, and enjoy life. You can come back tomorrow. Doctor orders.

Also i like bananas and coconut. But that maybe is unrelated.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

This offends me deeply for reasons that obviously weren’t the intention so I demand that everyone stop having fun.

There’s nothing wrong for feeling sad about a tragedy, but trying to force everyone to stop doing everything that might remind you of that event is incredibly selfish. Just judging from general reactions, a majority of people enjoy this joke and don’t see it in any way as mocking a tragedy.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Far better than the bobbleheads last year. Thank you Anet.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wonder how many adult americans you would have found in here, should this event have been released one week after 9/11, but i guess none, cause they would never have done this, knowing that it would have been the end of them.

Plane crashes in europe, this is released, a lot of people are having sad thougts about dead people and THEY ARE WRONG???…….

Every day 150 thousand to 200 thousand people die. Everyone of them is a tragedy to someone. You’re saying we should pay more attention to the ones that died in that plane crash and ignore the rest of the 150 thousand that died that day? Why are they more important?

I dont see the relation to my post, but ofc they are not unimportant, a huge tragedy happens in anythning else and they release a joke that connects to it the week after, i will also be here saying that i find it distastefull.

I will also find it very strange that some people are trying to tell other people to not feel empathy and that they should just “laugh” at what makes them feel sad.

Doesnt matter either that their intent was not to make a lot of people sad, but they ended up doing just that, even if you dont find it that way.

About 87 people died today in the US from gunshots. Over 600 in the last week. Why aren’t you asking for ANet to take out guns since it reminds you of that? Is the only reason because they didn’t die in the same place and at the same time?

It’s tragic those people died, but just because they died at the same time and place doesn’t mean that ANet should cancel its festivities.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Krumbotor.9064

Krumbotor.9064

Dear Anet,

as you might have noticed, players are not happy with this years april fools joke. Here are some ideas how to improve it while not depriving us of your incredible comical ingeniuty:

1. Provide an option to turn off the april fools effect after a certain amount of time
2. Make the game run normal after the second login of this day
3. Make the april fools turn itself off after a certain amount of time
4. Make the april fools only active in the city areas

Otherwise it will result in players not playing the game on april 1st, which I think is not the point of the joke.

Also it might help to reconsider how april fools jokes are normally done:

Step one: make a joke
Step two: after everyone goes “whaaaat”, tell them “April fools”
Step three: the joke is now over

How to not do an april fools joke:

Step one: Annoy people a whole day with a joke, they had enough of after 30 seconds

“But unfortunately this is the real world, not some fantasy land” Winni Asuran Offspring

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

It seemed like there was a way to get rid of the bobble heads last year. I think I just logged off and on and it was gone? Something like that.

Posted by: Awaltir.5302

Awaltir.5302

for every person complaining here there is 10 more in game who enjoys it. Also i have never understood the phenomena that when ppl die all in one place it is tragedy but if they die one by one in car crashes etc. it is statistic.
This is just charmless joke based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CunHb3TJsg if you feel offended then you should go seek help at doctor place rather than forum

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Ok so we’re swamped on the first page of this forum by outraged people who think this ‘joke’ is totally inappropriate. Recent events aside, I know that it takes a fair while for an idea like this to come to fruition, and as insensitive as it may be, there’s one of two things I can think of that can be done: 1) grin and bear the wrath of all the offended, or 2) shelve the idea for next year and just do nothing for this year, and announce why it was shelved, citing that recent events would cause a lot of people anger/grief/<insert emotion>…

Now, can we get it straight from the dev’s… what was the purpose of this year’s April Fool’s day joke? It’s themed like something from the early 20th century with flickering images, sepia toning, dulled sound, etc. I’d like to find out what the motivation behind the idea for this year’s April Fool’s was.

My first thought was the anniversary of the beginning of WWI. When it actually began is irrelevant but this year will mark the century of the ANZAC’s, for instance.

Anyway some clarification on the theme would be great, thanks.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

It seemed like there was a way to get rid of the bobble heads last year. I think I just logged off and on and it was gone? Something like that.

Nope, people went berserk last year too, caust it “it made the game unplayable” and many “reported it as a bug”.

Same threats to leaving the game as last year, same “worst april1st evaaaah!!14!!’”, same “turn off options needed!!!63215!”. Just cause 1 animation is different, and there is a filter for 24 hours.

Everything is the same, really. I’m quite enjoying the forums however.

Actually some of these rage posters remind me of this kid:

(edited by Bubi.7942)

Posted by: Um Abbas.5693

Um Abbas.5693

Just read through the topics… it’s most likely related to the old bug in game which was exactly like this. End of story..

Midget Gadget * Branch of Wood
Aurora Glade ~ Army of Forgotten Souls miniguild [AoFS]
http://umabbas.net/

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

This entire forum is triggering me right now.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’d probably wager a guess at it being based on a bug that happened back in beta.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I’m offended by turkey room in AC because i was attacked by turkey once. I cried and climbed on a cherry tree. She waited me at the bottom for 3 hours. I even tried to chase it off by throwing cherries at her but that just made her angrier. I cried some more. Then my mom came and saved me.

A net played a cruel joke on me placing that room there, they are really insensitive and i will consider pressing some charges.

(edited by Oxidia.8103)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

It’s based on a bug that happened in beta, combined with old war films, and the childhood activity of running around pretending to be an aeroplane.

Also, if you check, the number of people who are actually offended is not anywhere near as big as you think.

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

There’s no Co-pilot.

HAHAHAHAHAHA… kitten it

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Also use google to find out exactly how many times players have begged ANet to add a /plane emote. Spoiler: many

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I think we’re starting to get swamped by spoof threads.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

I am a offensive and I find this plane.

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

People are so easily coerced by media, several people die everyday in multiple ways but you make a big deal over what makes the big story on television. How many people die due to car crashes or petty crimes? but a plane crashing makes for a story that attracts a lot of views and so the world has to change their ways to not make the slightest hint of a relation to what media is able to pump out that gets the most views?

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

As I say, it depends how they died and what the game is normally about.

If a game isn’t normally about the thing your relative died to, you might log on, thinking you would be safe from references (in this case, to flying) only to find yourself immediately confronted by it.

You have to try to fully imagine it from their POV.

Perhaps there is truth to that, but by the logic I’ve seen thus far in this thread I guess my Engie is offensive to victims of terrorism because I run in with bombs and blow people up. Granted I only do that for crowd control but still.

Well, firstly, I don’t think it’s about offense.

It’s about people being, genuinely, upset and unexpectedly reminded of the thing that happened.

I think the word “offended” conjures up an indignant person, who is angry that anyone would have the nerve to mention something.

Whereas, the truth here is more that it may have made a bereaved person truly and unexpectedly upset, unnecessarily.

Secondly, as I say, if you had lost someone to an act of warfare, you would probably either choose not to log onto a game like this, at all; or you would do so fully prepared with the knowledge that it might remind you of what happened.

So, your Engie is a separate issue from an unexpected plane reference, as it is a regular part of the game.

That might conceivably be true if the persons claiming offense had family members or friends who died in that plane. Otherwise, I can’t see it. Saddened that it happened maybe, but bereaved is a strong emotion that people feel for the loss of family or close friends.

Well, yes, obviously.

I’m saying that people who lost people might have been directly affected, if they play the game.

I, obviously, have no idea if that is actually the case, though.

However, even if bereaved people haven’t been directly affected by it, it could be that the people who are concerned about it, are worried that it could potentially have affected bereaved people (whether it actually did, or not).

Meaning that their reaction wouldn’t be so much outrage, as empathy.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Karagra, you made me choke from laughter. I am offended and you should be banned for it.

On an unrelated tone: upon logging into the game, did anyone else expect to hear the announcer from Legend of Korra warn us about an incoming Equalist attack or some such, or was it just me?

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

If a game isn’t normally about the thing your relative died to, you might log on, thinking you would be safe from references (in this case, to flying) only to find yourself immediately confronted by it.

Perhaps there is truth to that, but by the logic I’ve seen thus far in this thread I guess my Engie is offensive to victims of terrorism because I run in with bombs and blow people up. Granted I only do that for crowd control but still.

It’s about people being, genuinely, upset and unexpectedly reminded of the thing that happened.

I think the word “offended” conjures up an indignant person, who is angry that anyone would have the nerve to mention something.

Whereas, the truth here is more that it may have made a bereaved person truly and unexpectedly upset, unnecessarily.

Secondly, as I say, if you had lost someone to an act of warfare, you would probably either choose not to log onto a game like this, at all; or you would do so fully prepared with the knowledge that it might remind you of what happened.

So, your Engie is a separate issue from an unexpected plane reference, as it is a regular part of the game.

That might conceivably be true if the persons claiming offense had family members or friends who died in that plane. Otherwise, I can’t see it. Saddened that it happened maybe, but bereaved is a strong emotion that people feel for the loss of family or close friends.

Well, yes, obviously.

I’m saying that people who lost people might have been directly affected, if they play the game.

However, even if bereaved people haven’t been directly affected by it, it could be that the people who are concerned about it are worried that it could have affected bereaved people (whether it actually did, or not).

Meaning that the reaction wouldn’t be so much outrage, as empathy.

I disagree, it’s a bit more than empathy. From personal experience I can tell you a nation CAN grieve and have strong feelings of outrage over disasters like this. I’ve seen it here in The Netherlands in the aftermath of the MH17 disaster last year. Hundreds of thousands of people lining the roads when the victims were repatriated, flowers everywhere…. it’s not something to be made light of.

Tigaseye.2047

for every person complaining here there is 10 more in game who enjoys it. Also i have never understood the phenomena that when ppl die all in one place it is tragedy but if they die one by one in car crashes etc. it is statistic.
This is just charmless joke based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CunHb3TJsg if you feel offended then you should go seek help at doctor place rather than forum

Really not sure about that…

When I logged off, DR on my realm was virtually empty.

It’s never, normally, virtually empty at US peak time.

Prior to that, there had been a lot of negative/unhappy comments in /s, on map chat and in guild chat.

Mainly people asking how they could get rid of it.

A few positive ones, too, but mainly negative.

I think the issue was less the “joke” itself, but more that they couldn’t get rid of it.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Awaltir.5302

Awaltir.5302

Really not sure about that…

When I logged off, DR on my realm was virtually empty.

It’s never, normally, virtually empty at US peak time.

Prior to that, there had been a lot of negative/unhappy comments in /s, on map chat and in guild chat.

Mainly people asking how they could get rid of it.

A few positive ones, too, but mainly negative.

I think the issue was less the “joke” itself, but more that they couldn’t get rid of it.

And i m here at one of greatest realms of eu (deso) and didn’t see a single complain about it in crowded la and spawming zerg of sw

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

Can’t wait to get home and play it

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: Wretchedscar.4796

Wretchedscar.4796

All these topics remind me of one of my favorite quotes…

“It’s now very common to hear people say, ’I’m rather offended by that.’ As if that gives them certain rights. It’s actually nothing more… than a whine. ‘I find that offensive.’ It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. ‘I am offended by that.’ Well, so kittening what." —Stephen Fry

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

I jumped around the maps quite a lot earlier, during peak times, and even in the Heart of the Mists most (as in, all that weren’t crafting/killing/dancing) of the people were too busy going “vrooooom vruuum nnnaaaaow” and “RATATATATATA” to complain… but i guess i found myself in good company

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

This April fools day joke is just wrong. I dont know what is on their mind….

Posted by: Lydell.8713

Lydell.8713

Ok so we’re swamped on the first page of this forum by outraged people who think this ‘joke’ is totally inappropriate. Recent events aside, I know that it takes a fair while for an idea like this to come to fruition, and as insensitive as it may be, there’s one of two things I can think of that can be done: 1) grin and bear the wrath of all the offended, or 2) shelve the idea for next year and just do nothing for this year, and announce why it was shelved, citing that recent events would cause a lot of people anger/grief/<insert emotion>…

Now, can we get it straight from the dev’s… what was the purpose of this year’s April Fool’s day joke? It’s themed like something from the early 20th century with flickering images, sepia toning, dulled sound, etc. I’d like to find out what the motivation behind the idea for this year’s April Fool’s was.

My first thought was the anniversary of the beginning of WWI. When it actually began is irrelevant but this year will mark the century of the ANZAC’s, for instance.

Anyway some clarification on the theme would be great, thanks.

Handful of people kittening in the forums doesn’t make a lot of discontent.

-Blackgate-

Tigaseye.2047

Well, yes, obviously.

However, even if bereaved people haven’t been directly affected by it, it could be that the people who are concerned about it are worried that it could have affected bereaved people (whether it actually did, or not).

Meaning that the reaction wouldn’t be so much outrage, as empathy.

I disagree, it’s a bit more than empathy. From personal experience I can tell you a nation CAN grieve and have strong feelings of outrage over disasters like this. I’ve seen it here in The Netherlands in the aftermath of the MH17 disaster last year. Hundreds of thousands of people lining the roads when the victims were repatriated, flowers everywhere…. it’s not something to be made light of.

I’m not making light of it.

I’m trying to explain to people, who seem to think that taking “offense” is the only reason anyone has to not support a joke like this, that that is probably not the main motivation for people.

If you read the rest of the thread, heck the entire forum, you will see that there is a prevailing view on here that people only complain about things, because they are taking offense and want to control things via the claim that they are offended.

As opposed to them feeling genuine empathy for other people and other, more subtle, less potentially controlling, emotions.

Obviously, people can and will feel outrage over the RL incidents that occur, but I’m trying to convey the fact that they are not, necessarily, feeling outrage over ANet’s joke, if they complain about it.

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Im sympathetic to people who were affected by the plane crash, and i cant imagine how it would feel like to log into a game to find a joke on airplanes after having experienced that tragedy.

I think the least they could have done was made an acknowledgement about the crash or could have postponed teh event.

Altho it is kinda sad seeing that a lot of people are acting as if you should not care. If i were in that similar situation i would definitely care, even if it isnt anet’s fault.

thats life, Something you have to realize, is the game exists in a global context, with millions of players. Something will always be going on, and always be able to be misinterpreted by other people who are currently suffering.

You cant expect the world to stop just to be sensitive to your problems. If you lost some one in an accident should all cars stop driving down the street? If you got mugged, should people all stand 4 feet away from you on the train?

look at the intent, if someone is just living life as normal, you shouldnt make it about you. Sensitivity is two way street. If you had a tradgedy, and airplanes disturb you, dont play for a day. You really cant expect the world to stop for your pain. That is just the way things are.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Thank you for the joke. Loved it.

Some ideas came to mind..:

Watch out!! RWRROOAAWWWrrr! I got you in my Halo….

My charr is nosediving into the ground every jump.
Nice music on death.

Life goes on, enjoy every smile….

Attachments:

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, yes, obviously.

However, even if bereaved people haven’t been directly affected by it, it could be that the people who are concerned about it, are worried that it could potentially have affected bereaved people (whether it actually did, or not).

It’s quite possible to feel empathy for the people that died and for their families. However they are asking that a company change their planned festivity because the festivity reminds them of it.

How far should that go? My brother, Butchy, was born with hydrocephalus. This is a disorder where the child’s head becomes grossly enlarged. It killed him. When the bobble head April fools day came out, did I post on the forums saying it made fun of a serious disease and that it offended me? When they made the bobble headed toy, did I say that was offensive? No, because I knew it was a April fools joke and the giant, wobbly heads was completely unrelated to him and his death.

Just because they can see a resemblance to this prank and those people’s deaths doesn’t mean that ANet should have not put this in the game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nezia.8154

Nezia.8154

Personally, I enjoyed it as well. Had a really good laugh specially with dancing Norns and Charrs with their hands sticking out their sides! LOL! Norns look like they’re twerking and the Charrs look like they’re working out! Haha

If you close your mind to new information, you are not being a productive member of the society.
You are the useless log of flesh we have to drag behind us as we move forward.

Posted by: Ricther.9083

Ricther.9083

Indeed! Thanks Anet! This was great, wvw is hilarius xD

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

for the people in the US, who obviously don’t understand what I other mean with insensitive and tactical unwise.

let’s just hypotethically think of it like this:
there was a school shooting again in the US and 150 grade school students died by the hands of some psycho.
A week later you log on to one of your favorite games and there’s a “april fools joke” that makes all the enemy-NPCs in to children and you have to shoot them to complete your quests.

of course it could be long planned but, after it happned it would have been wiser to wait with this prank and don’t do a prank at all or chose to do something else instead.
Of course people die every day, but this isn’t an excuse for stopping to think about other peoples feelings.
I find this joke actually is pretty funny, but I think the timing was pretty bad.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: Aru.1036

Aru.1036

@smekras- not only you. But I was more expecting music to play from those announcments(or whathever this word should be).

I don’t mind this thing buuut…..next time devs should put an option to turn off/on such things. It’s good to screw around with people but to play? Impossible for me. I’m glad I bought the game two days ago, at least I had some time to play before today day off ;p

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

… for adding a “holy grail knights with coconuts for pretend-horses” animation to the game? No.

I want that now! Come, Patsy!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

Can we talk about the bonfires for a second? Is it just me or are these things suddenly burning everyone to death?

Posted by: Vykoz.7803

Vykoz.7803

US daily gun killings/problems are not considered a major disaster that has contries in tears and is not reported on the news world wide.

9/11 on the other hand was, and i doubt a lof of americans would laugh hard at this joke a week after that, i for sure wouldnt.

(edited by Vykoz.7803)

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

Handful of people kittening in the forums doesn’t make a lot of discontent.

Handful? If your hands are that large then you should apply to be in the guinness world records……

But seriously it’s more than a “handful” and Anet have made major changes to the game in the past based on far less forum comment.

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

there was a school shooting again in the US and 150 grade school students died by the hands of some psycho.
A week later you log on to one of your favorite games and there’s a “april fools joke” that makes all the enemy-NPCs in to children and you have to shoot them to complete your quests.

A closer analogy would be this -

A week later you log on to one of your favorite games and there’s a “april fools joke” that makes all the characters and NPCs wear school uniforms

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Tigaseye.2047

Well, yes, obviously.

It’s quite possible to feel empathy for the people that died and for their families. However they are asking that a company change their planned festivity because the festivity reminds them of it.

How far should that go? My brother, Butchy, was born with hydrocephalus. This is a disorder where the child’s head becomes grossly enlarged. It killed him. When the bobble head April fools day came out, did I post on the forums saying it made fun of a serious disease and that it offended me? When they made the bobble headed toy, did I say that was offensive? No, because I knew it was a April fools joke and the giant, wobbly heads was completely unrelated to him and his death.

Just because they can see a resemblance to this prank and those people’s deaths doesn’t mean that ANet should have not put this in the game.

I guess that is open to debate.

It is a sad fact of life (or death), that if someone dies privately and alone (i.e. not in a large incident), their relatives just have to cope and no one in that situation ever expects the world to stop for their grief.

However, when people die en masse, in a public kind of way, most people do tend to think some kind of reverence should be shown.

Presumably, partly because of the sheer numbers involved and partly because, if it’s been all over the news, no one can really claim they didn’t know…

It’s just the way people tend to think.

I doubt anything will change that.

Sorry to hear about your loss, BTW.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

If this was done a week after 9-11 the outrage would have been enormous. I am not offended by the joke, but it seems that the German people are not that amused by this.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Such a lack of empathy, you should be ashamed of yourself.

It is not a matter of lack of empathy. It is a matter of realism.

Or do you go around and feel bad for all those being killed daily around the world?
Or is it only important to care when it happens in a western country and is well published on the news?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

A closer analogy would be this -

A week later you log on to one of your favorite games and there’s a “april fools joke” that makes all the characters and NPCs wear school uniforms

It wouldn’t. the PC is wearing a pilot cap and we are able to control in which direction the “plane” goes, that makes us obviously the copilote and not the passengers.
We’re in the role of the committer, so of course we’d also be the committer in the analogy with the school shooting and not the victim.
So we’d have to “shoot” children, not to “be” children for the analogy to fit.