[Merged] ...and now ascended gear hits... (Dec 10)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I just barely got a second weapon crafted for my Guardian (the one I use in Fractals). Really, I should level Artificing to get a Scepter/Focus so that I’ll have agony resist when I’m ranged (looking at you Jade Maw), but really, I’d still rather have ascended daggers for my thief to keep up in WvW.

But I couldn’t keep at the grind necessary for this. I can’t bring myself to follow the mind-numbing auto-attack champ zergs to grind what I need for more ascended stuff and sPvP certainly hasn’t helped on this endeavor either. Yes, there will be a gold reward starting Dec 10th, but if you can earn gold doing sPvP at a rate anywhere near what you need to get ascended gear, it’ll be a near miracle.

…and now ascended gear hits Dec 10th. I can’t even comprehend crafting 6 pieces of ascended gear after going broke for 2 weapons (still more than what many people have).

I love this game…but this is depressing. =(

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Yeah I was looking forward to ascended armor until I realized I was completely broke from not only getting to 500 artificer, but crafting a couple ascended weapons too, and with the recent pricey gem store skins like flamekissed armor/toxic gloves/toxic mantle, and the new grenth hood to name a few, I think we’ve had far too many money sinks.

I’ll be skipping the ascended armor for a few months until I can save up enough money again XD

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Nice, I’ve been looking forwards to this. Best part is that I don’t even have to rush to get it, I can take my time and keep playing how I wish while I do so… only with more crafting.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It’s supposed to be a long term goal. Since there is no content in the game that requires ascended gear just take your time and have fun making it. You will not be alone.

Sure the top 5% of players will probably be able to make it right off the bat, but there is no need to do it that fast.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah I’m still working on my second ascended weapon. Need 3 more dragonite ore.

I think I’ll be waiting a long time for the armor, I probably won’t start it until pugs start gear checking for ascended. God I hope that doesn’t happen, lol.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

hey Dahkeus dont worry to much about it as it is right now you only need about 50 agony resistance or less to do max fractal level. Ascended gear was created to be used for fractals of the mist to begin with. Youl still be considered as a primed character even with only the rings the weapon the trinkets, the amulet and the bag. As for where armor stands for its great to have new improved stats however dungeons were designed for character in green equipment and unless you plan to do fractals lvl 50 everyday you wont need those armor just yet. Im far from concerned about the new ascended armor creation this is just another pastime for those crazies who waste time making several legendaries at the same time.

Legendaries is for crazies who want to waste 5000 gold for a bows that shoots unicorn. I believe 1 year or later well be able to buy a pre for 200 gold at top because they will become 5 time more accessible from specific events or boss drops or just from the laurel system. Focus your time in ascended gear and leave legendaries to daydreamer i say at least you get to keep some form of realistic gear.

As for where pugs stands, i check their dungeon master title way before i check their agony resiliance. Long as there are clowns and jugglers no pugs will ever be safe from failure even with a full ascended gear set

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

(edited by kyubi.3620)

Posted by: JohnnySupernova.9182

JohnnySupernova.9182

It’s supposed to be a long term goal. Since there is no content in the game that requires ascended gear just take your time and have fun making it. You will not be alone.

Sure the top 5% of players will probably be able to make it right off the bat, but there is no need to do it that fast.

Well, there’s fractals.

Posted by: BlackhawkSOM.6401

BlackhawkSOM.6401

Ya like zudet said its a long goal if you were to get all the ascended gear in like a day it would make ascended armor look worthless just like exotics are now. There really is no need to have ascended armor people like you who complain it is to hard to get are the same people saying there isn’t anything to strive for in terms of weapons/armor.

Retuxan-80 Ranger-Rank 40
Jade quarry, MoG

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Watch those prices soar!

Edit: Oops, I’m actually happy it finally came out. Not that I’m in a rush, I don’t even have one weapon craft up to 500, ~480 should be the closest.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

See attachment….

Attachments:

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Dahkeus.8243

While you’re working on that long term goal, those top players will be smashing face in WvW.

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

Watch those prices soar!

Edit: Oops, I’m actually happy it finally came out. Not that I’m in a rush, I don’t even have one weapon craft up to 500, ~480 should be the closest.

wich one (the price) Im just glad i finaly get to have a serious reason to lvl an armorcraft

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

shrugs Didn’t give a kitten about ascended weapons, still don’t give a kitten about armor.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

The long-term goal, ie gathering the actual ascended mats isn’t so bad. It’s all the money you have to flush down the toilet to get your crafting to 500 that really puts me off.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Well, there’s fractals.

Except even fractals doesn’t need this gear currently. They are capped at level 50, and all the agony resistance/Infusion slots you need for that is currently in game. Why they stagger releases like this, I don’t know. They should, IMO, release new Ascended gears when something actually needs it, like raising the fractals cap. Not release the gear with the inclination they might raise the cap a few months from now.

Celestina.2894

Well, there’s fractals.

Except even fractals doesn’t need this gear currently. They are capped at level 50, and all the agony resistance/Infusion slots you need for that is currently in game. Why they stagger releases like this, I don’t know. They should, IMO, release new Ascended gears when something actually needs it, like raising the fractals cap. Not release the gear with the inclination they might raise the cap a few months from now.

Truthfully I think they are releasing it just to get it out of the way now. I doubt they will ever balance around ascended gear after the initial back lash.

Posted by: JohnnySupernova.9182

JohnnySupernova.9182

It’s supposed to be a long term goal. Since there is no content in the game that requires ascended gear just take your time and have fun making it. You will not be alone. You either need gear or infusions to do 50.

Well, there’s fractals.

Infusions aren’t really an alternative to ascended gear since they’re still a big gold sink (or time and gold sink)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Ya like zudet said its a long goal if you were to get all the ascended gear in like a day it would make ascended armor look worthless just like exotics are now.

Ironically, exotics are worthless only because of the existence of ascended gear. Unless you meant TP price… which ascended don’t have at all

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I cry for all the altoholics out there.

I have four level 80 characters, and I don’t have as many as a lot of people I know.

Level up three different crafting professions to 500? Talk about expensive.

Craft 24 pieces of armor total for all my level 80s? Talk about grind.

Not looking forward to it.. at all.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

OP, I know you mentioned fractals and agony, but what we are actually witnessing are simply the effects of power creep and vertical progression. Imagine someone with all the professions at 80. Vertical progression, at least as this one is implemented, becomes impossible. What’s worse, is that you are actually grinding for nothing. You grind and get more powerful (or more damage resistant) and everyone else grinds and gets more powerful. Meanwhile, to keep the game from becoming trivial, the environment becomes more powerful. There is no relative difference between you and other players or you and the environment in terms of the before state and the after state. You’ve gone nowhere and that’s why they call it a treadmill; you get on and off at the same place.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

I am very happy about and well prepared for ascended armor. I hoarded all needed materials long time ago. Only the spools will cost a decent amount of gold.

I crafted already six ascended weapons. If they do not change the pattern I will need 6-9 day for one piece of armor. In my eyes a decent amount of time.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I have four level 80 characters, and I don’t have as many as a lot of people I know.

I recently maxed out a ranger and now have 6/8 professions at level 80. Half of me is absolutely dreading the update, the other half is excited for the new skill balance changes.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I have 8 professions, like many others here I guess. I have exactly one ascended weapon. Not because I crafted it, because I cannot. It was a lucky chest drop or else I would have none.
We do not make grindy games, it was so good to hear them say this.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

That medium armor looks SEXAY!

Anyone know how it will look on Charr?

Posted by: Karalaza.6021

Karalaza.6021

I honestly hope they fixed the clipping issues with the armors – and completely changed the light variant…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Nifty. While I’m not really in any rush to get ascended, I will eventually… for all 10 of my current characters and any additional ones I make. Just takes time and patience. While I don’t tend to have lots of the former, I do have plenty of the latter, so lack of the former isn’t a huge deal.

I do like that they did put the ascended gear into the game before the fractal cap raise (which we know is coming). It allows people to work towards it a little more gradually, rather than feeling frustrated by the ’must have it now!!!!! feeling. Of course, there will be those that have that feeling anyway, but the only person putting that pressure on them is themself.

As I said, for me though, there is no great rush. Everything in its own time.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Well, imagine the likely to occur situation:

You’ve crafted your nice ascended armor set, weapon and bought all the trinkets you needed. Then suddenly, a balance patch comes out and all your precious gear is useless with the altered builds for your class.

Nice idea, right?
So no, as long as crafted ascended gear (well maybe with the exception of weapons, because Legendary) won’t have changeable stats, I’m not interested at all…. Especially because I’m an Ele player and gear already occupies 1/4 of my inventory, which sucks hard….

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Well, imagine the likely to occur situation:

You’ve crafted your nice ascended armor set, weapon and bought all the trinkets you needed. Then suddenly, a balance patch comes out and all your precious gear is useless with the altered builds for your class.

Nice idea, right?
So no, as long as crafted ascended gear (well maybe with the exception of weapons, because Legendary) won’t have changeable stats, I’m not interested at all…. Especially because I’m an Ele player and gear already occupies 1/4 of my inventory, which sucks hard….

That is the reason why we will see legendary armor later next year. Thy will start with legendary jewelry quite soon.

Rouven.7409

wich one (the price) Im just glad i finaly get to have a serious reason to lvl an armorcraft

I don’t have a “watchlist”, I just peruse and have a look at some obvious ones, ori, hardened leather, gossamer. Silk is slowly coming – nothing too serious.

Anyways, I just love those graphs spiking up right after the news hit. I find it funny, as if the nodes would be gone tomorrow.

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

I’ve been hearing a lot of talk about the Ascended Armor Crafting in the 10 Dec patch. Anyone have a link? Or is this something someone saw someone post in a reddit?

[DONE]

Celestina.2894

I’ve been hearing a lot of talk about the Ascended Armor Crafting in the 10 Dec patch. Anyone have a link? Or is this something someone saw someone post in a reddit?

Check the teaser that’s up now.

Posted by: Space.8053

Space.8053

Fat Rob
[TCHU]
Gandara

Dahkeus.8243

Here’s the kicker: ANet basically said that with GW2, people that have time to grind out stuff will grind it out. People that don’t have that time (assuming due to having a job), will buy gems. I, generally, have fallen into that second category on plenty of occasions. I still generally don’t spend more than 15-20 bucks in gems a month.

The problem is, the amount of gems I would have to throw at gear to catch up with ascended gear and be on a level playing field is way, way, way beyond what I’m willing to buy.

…so it’s more tempting to say @#$% it and just stop trying. There’s plenty of other good MMOs out there and more on the horizon. Besides, I just got a bunch of games from all the Steam sales too.

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

Buy your mats before the Americans wake up

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Woohoo! It’s about time. I think I like the grind.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

I can’t wait! I got so many weapons last time for my self.
(zilch, zero, zippo, nil, nada)
Good thing I will have the same stats as everyone else!
(sarcasm)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I can’t remember what the devs said (it was either on the forums or during the Fractals live stream), so if someone can refresh my memory I’d appreciate it.

Did the devs say that ascended armor will be obtainable through fractals when it’s introduced? (I think they said yes, but I can’t remember). And a secondary question/wishful thinking, did they mention how? (like with fractal relics instead of pure chance from a random drop).

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Hmm long term goal eh? Let’s take in consideration how long it’ll take to gear up everyone’s 5 char slots that came with the game.

Is there even enough time in the life cycle of this game to get this gear?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Rouven.7409

Buy your mats before the Americans wake up

They are awake, but at work! cries

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Yay, ascended gear..not. More grind..looking up at the mountain that is ascended armor/weapon crafting, Im overwhelmed and not something i want to do, but I guess I have to if i want to progress in fractals and be top knotch competitive in WvW.

Oh, and a new healing skill? So disappointing. Wheres the utility skills or weapon skills?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

been looking forward to selling my mats. could care less about the armor. lol

cesmode.4257

I wonder what the game will look like 6 months to a year from now… Now that we will be able to craft ascended gear and armor, what to do? Where to go from here?

According to Arenanet, the absolute final tier of gear will be implimented on 12/10. That means, no more gear to chase after. So in a year, once the majority of players have all the ascended gear that they want/need, I wonder where the devs will take the game.

Will they increase the level cap? If so, will they release new level cap gear, thus making the current ascended gear useless? If this is the case, then all of this ascended nonsense was nothing more than a mask for a traditional gear treadmill. Or will our current ascended gear scale up to the new level cap? If so, a new level cap might not be so bad.

Will they simply add more skins, and more ways to obtain them?

Open up new areas? Perhaps a traditional expansion?

Im really curious to see where Gw2 will be a year from now, once we all have our ascended weapons and armor(those of us that will be going after them). Id say Arenanet’s reputation is on the line at that point whether or not they put in a new tier, or if they raise the lvl cap and make us farm all new gear.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

-_- not a very merry xmas for me afterall.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Oh, and a new healing skill? So disappointing. Wheres the utility skills or weapon skills?

Utility skills and elite skills are certainly being considered, and will find their way into the game at some time. (I don’t know about new weapons, but I wouldn’t rule it out either.

ArenaNet consciously chose to introduce new healing skills first, because they will have the biggest short-term impact on player choice. Remember, the healing skill is a single skill slot with only 3-5 skills to choose from (depending on race and whether you do PvP or PvE). By adding a new healing skill, everyone suddenly gets a new option in a place where there wasn’t much choice to begin with.

(This is also why the Toxic Cleansing skill was added; a new healing skill has immediate effect on the potentially the greatest number of builds.)

Dahkeus.8243

Hmm long term goal eh? Let’s take in consideration how long it’ll take to gear up everyone’s 5 char slots that came with the game.

The problem is that there is already such a disparity in the player base in terms of how much time people can dedicate to grinding out weapons/gear. I mean, I have a friend who has at least 4 legendaries, but I barely have 2 ascended pieces.

There will be plenty of people who have full ascended armor in the first week, but you’ll also see plenty of people that still don’t have a set 6 months later.

Instead of putting in prestigeous, hard to attain armor skins (and no, T3 cultural doesn’t count. Ascended stuff costs much, much more than a full set of that), they’re adding in a set that boosts stats.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

The problem is that there is already such a disparity in the player base in terms of how much time people can dedicate to grinding out weapons/gear. I mean, I have a friend who has at least 4 legendaries, but I barely have 2 ascended pieces.

There will be plenty of people who have full ascended armor in the first week, but you’ll also see plenty of people that still don’t have a set 6 months later.

Instead of putting in prestigeous, hard to attain armor skins (and no, T3 cultural doesn’t count. Ascended stuff costs much, much more than a full set of that), they’re adding in a set that boosts stats.

If I knew about Ascended before and how ridiculous the method/s of acquiring them I never would’ve bought the game. If they ever decide to make an expansion, I’m not gonna buy it. This latest patch (fractured) alone has made me lose all of my trust in Anet.

If I wanted a gear grind, I would’ve chosen a different game. I bought GW2 precisely because of the manifesto. I’m just waiting for EQN to be released.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

I’ve been staying out of the whole “grind” discussion while I waited to give ascended a chance. But with the last few updates I’m getting really discouraged. On GW1 I had two accounts (16) characters I think. And the nice thing was that I could work on getting my obsidian armor for one or two toons and still know that I could gear up the rest of my characters with maximum stats for effective and enjoyable game play. Players also had to work together and make sure their builds meshed for most of the dungeons and more elite areas.

But, having crafted 6 ascended weapons (3 each for my 2 main toons), I am looking at my other toons thinking it will be pure misery to craft even one more of those stupid pink things. So the rest of my toons will pretty much stay in the barn. And now I’m gonna have to craft 6 pieces of ascended armor PER TOON after raising the required crafting disciplines.

Meanwhile the combat system is still clunky and clumsy, the story line is boring, the living story gave us villains flatter than a Nebraska landscape, the missions are dull, so unchallenging a 3 year old could do them, and unrepeatable, and most of the new content can be completed in a couple of days easy. Plus there is absolutely no need to mesh builds in the vast majority of the dungeons and “elite” areas. And on top of that crafting ascended is artificially time gated to slow things down.

This game has essentially become: join zerg, read book while waiting for boss, set skill 1 on repeat, read book till boss is dead, pick up loot and move to next boss, check some chests for emperial shards, go craft some ascended crap.

Frankly, I’m not looking forward to this wintersday and so I think for the first time in 7 years, my holiday plans will not include guild wars.

cesmode.4257

Utility skills and elite skills are certainly being considered, and will find their way into the game at some time. (I don’t know about new weapons, but I wouldn’t rule it out either.

ArenaNet consciously chose to introduce new healing skills first, because they will have the biggest short-term impact on player choice. Remember, the healing skill is a single skill slot with only 3-5 skills to choose from (depending on race and whether you do PvP or PvE). By adding a new healing skill, everyone suddenly gets a new option in a place where there wasn’t much choice to begin with.

(This is also why the Toxic Cleansing skill was added; a new healing skill has immediate effect on the potentially the greatest number of builds.)

I dont agree. I ignored the anti toxin healing skill, and Im sure I’ll ignore the new one too. Honestly, I dont see many builds being very dependent on a particular healing skill. I can switch out a number of healing skills on a variety of toons that I play, and my build doesn’t break.

IMO, a healing skill has the least amount of impact, and this is the second they are putting into the game before any utilities and weapon skills. I dont like I have a feeling its going to be months before I see any new skills that make difference in gameplay…a long while.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Depends on the player. Some people don’t care one way or the other and may never get it for just that reasons. Others are industrial little perfectionists (this is not an insult by the way) and will strive for it on every character with every waking breath. Yet others will work toward it, achieve some full sets, maybe not enough for all their characters, but enough for their ‘mains’ and that’s sufficient for them. It’s a very Goldilocks type scenario.

Is there enough time in the life cycle? No one can answer that really. How long will the game thrive? Can you see the future? I can’t. It could last a decade, it could last only a another year. Who knows, the world could end tomorrow. We do know that Colin has stated that they aren’t done with the reward revamps, so we may yet still see more ways to obtain the boat load of materials these things need.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

hmm up to now it hasn’t been that hard tbh.
I have 7 lv 80 with all 2x exotic armor sets each and all weapons and at least 1x ascended trinkets set.
my main has 2 ascended weapons and 3x ascended trinket sets, and my main alt has also 2 ascended weapons.

I will admit though that it does get expensive fast very fast but I wouldn’t say it’s difficult. now the time gating and once a day per account, that is what I hate the most !!!
it keeps me from gearing my alts properly.