assassin ritualist paragon monk dervish

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

people loved these classes from gw1 , im wondering when arena net plans on coming out with them if any of them .

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Paragon is already similar to guardian
Monk is also similar to guardian
Dervish > this could be a warrior with a scythe
Ritualist ? Most boring class from gw1 pls we have enough AI , don’t need more

We just need 1 more heavy class of Dark Magic type . Like a mix between warrior and necro.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Assassin → Thief
Paragon → Guardian
Monk → Guardian
Ritualist → Guardian

Most classes from GW1 are moot points because lore simply would not sustain their presence just like dwarves are practically never seen and never will be a playable race.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Ritualist is my favorite gw1 profession. It’s very unique.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Guild Wars 2 decided to go with more standard archetypes, with the Engineer and Mesmer being the only two fairly “unique” classes to Guild Wars 2.

All others follow very established archetypes.

As others pointed out, many of the current classes incorporate themes or mechanics from Guild Wars 1 classes. Hence it is unlikely we will see a 1:1 return of any Guild Wars 1 class.

But there are still archetypes that Guild Wars 2 has to explore. Just off the top of my head i can think of the “Shaman” or “Druid” archetype. Priests could work too if they worked different enough from Guardians.

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

We just need 1 more heavy class of Dark Magic type . Like a mix between warrior and necro.

Rit was the reason I stayed with gw1 I have over 4k hours on my rit, it was an amazing and unique class.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Rit was the reason I stayed with gw1 I have over 4k hours on my rit, it was an amazing and unique class.

Was it because Rt was unique or Rt plowed through everything in lolmode with SoS?

Either way, I’d like to see a more functional minion master class in this game – whether it be through spirit wall ritualist or fixing the minions on necromancer.

If you used Rt in PvP, more power to you – but Splinter Weapon/Spirit’s Strength is a lot like some of the mesmer melee-magic.

Faux.1937

Was it because Rt was unique or Rt plowed through everything in lolmode with SoS?

Either way, I’d like to see a more functional minion master class in this game – whether it be through spirit wall ritualist or fixing the minions on necromancer.

If you used Rt in PvP, more power to you – but Splinter Weapon/Spirit’s Strength is a lot like some of the mesmer melee-magic.

SoS was buffed after over a year of it being a terrible elite. I had 2k hours before that buff.

And after SoS was a lazy farm not the best, Rt/war builds and rt/m was much better to farm with than sos.

Rt/Dev was AMAZING! for pvp/ab at 1st before the nerfs.

Dont forget Lightning Damage burst builds.

The support was very unique and I love the spirits, and specially the Ashes.

SAB or RIOT

(edited by Faux.1937)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

people loved these classes from gw1 , im wondering when arena net plans on coming out with them if any of them .

I would really prefer them to actually improve on existing classes first, unless they bring back the dual-profession mechanic.

Currently, the classes are so linear and shallow that it feels more like Maplestory than Guild Wars.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Assassin → Theif
Paragon → Guardian

Ritualists Had bind rituals and healing
Monks had the best healing capabilities and protection skills
Dervish was kind of a warrior with scythe.
They said there is no healing class so people don’t need to wait around to make a party but you can just take anyone and all professions have ways to heal themselves and deal damage. But they toke away the trinity and replaced it with nothing. So it ended up with pretty much every man for himself. Res the ones that failed to dodge and dps. Also trinity in gw1 was more than just a dps /tank /healer.
Every profession was unique in a specific way.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Please don’t insult the ritualist by comparing it to a guardian. Rits had quite the AOE (especially with spirit spam builds). If anything, I’d say it’s more of a cross between Elementalist and Mesmer in that regard, because it had good AOE and used hexes (very mesmer’ish) a lot. Only things that a guardian has that’s quite ritualistic in nature are the spirit weapons (which no one uses cause they’re frikkin useless) and perhaps a couple skills like the greatsword #5 binding aspect. Other than that, I wouldn’t say it’s like a guardian in the slightest bit.

Would like to see the ritualist make a return to GW2. Was my favourite profession.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Assassin -> Thief
Paragon -> Guardian
Monk -> Guardian
Ritualist -> Guardian

Most classes from GW1 are moot points because lore simply would not sustain their presence just like dwarves are practically never seen and never will be a playable race.

Thief is not Assassin; it’s just a baby version of it. Anet hasn’t given it the things it needs to Evolve into it’s final form.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Faux.1937

Please don’t insult the ritualist by comparing it to a guardian. Rits had quite the AOE (especially with spirit spam builds). If anything, I’d say it’s more of a cross between Elementalist and Mesmer in that regard, because it had good AOE and used hexes (very mesmer’ish) a lot. Only things that a guardian has that’s quite ritualistic in nature are the spirit weapons (which no one uses cause they’re frikkin useless) and perhaps a couple skills like the greatsword #5 binding aspect. Other than that, I wouldn’t say it’s like a guardian in the slightest bit.

Would like to see the ritualist make a return to GW2. Was my favourite profession.

Splinter weapon was OP I dont know what your talking about and there was the 130hp rit that used a weapon too for some farms

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Lurker.3609

Lurker.3609

Thief is not Assassin; it’s just a baby version of it. Anet hasn’t given it the things it needs to Evolve into it’s final form.

Why, cause it doesn’t have perma shadow form that makes it uber tank? I think I’ll pass. Thief is everything that assassin is, and more.

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Why, cause it doesn’t have perma shadow form that makes it uber tank? I think I’ll pass. Thief is everything that assassin is, and more.

yeah, now they can perma stealth instead. assassin was a much better class even on paper.

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

They’re not going to add these classes to GW2. Why? Because they’re already covered by the other classes, as people have already stated.

*Assassin is virtually identical the thief.
*Paragon got split between guardian (holy fire + throwing spears underwater) and warrior (shouts and inspiration).
*Ritualist got split between ranger (stationary buffs) and engineer (stationary turrets). Ancestor worship is also limited to Canthan humans as far as we know, and without that gimmick, what is the ritualist?
*Dervish and monk got merged together and contributed to the guardian. As stated above, neither is lore-friendly because the 4 nonhuman races don’t believe in the human gods, and the gods were explicitly described as the source of these professions’ power.

People don’t consider that the professions we have aren’t meant to be taken 100% literally. Each class covers MANY archetypes. For example, the thief class isn’t just “a guy who steals things,” but instead covers the pirate, ninja, highwayman, thug, duelist, treasure hunter, assassin, and scout archetypes, to name a few. The warrior covers the knight, bodyguard, warlord, barbarian, tactician, and brawler archetypes, etc. No need for an assassin class when we have thieves.

Furthermore, why add a WHOLE NEW CLASS when you could just add existing or new weapons to classes? You could easily give a different profession’s flavor to an existing class just by giving it new skills. A ranger with a staff could use “druid” abilities and nature magic. Giving a greatsword or greataxe (yes, that weapon was confirmed as a definite possibility around the time the game launched) to a necromancer could give it a “death knight” feel. It seems pretty likely that future weapon skills and/or traits will help bring different archetypes into play.

Moreover, it takes more than “it would be cool” or “I want it” to get a new class introduced into the game. Consider that any new class would need to have a completely unique class skill and completely different abilities from any existing class. What’s the point of adding a dervish with earth, wind, and mystic attunements when the elementalist already has attunements? Why should the paragon have adrenaline, which is the warrior’s class ability? The existing classes play entirely differently because of their class abilities, and copying/imitating what already exists will just give you a near-duplicate of that class. So if you want a new class, make sure your proposal has absolutely nothing to do with any of the existing class abilities.

And finally, Anet has said numerous times in the past that the game was very carefully designed around exactly eight classes and five races. To add more of either would require tons and tons of work for something that could be solved in a much more organic and less labor-intensive way—adding to what we already have.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

Lurker.3609

yeah, now they can perma stealth instead. assassin was a much better class even on paper.

Wouldn’t you say though that a shady thief class that can stay stealthed all the time makes much more sense than assassin that can tank infinite amount of mobs?

Aidan Savage.2078

Grawl Fractal is extremely difficult if you arent running SoA, and even the spirit hammer is useful there. Unless you actually go out and about to figure out where they’re useful, of course you’ll think they’re useless.

A Massive Headache.1879

Wouldn’t you say though that a shady thief class that can stay stealthed all the time makes much more sense than assassin that can tank infinite amount of mobs?

except that was a specialized build that was brought on from additional skills. Also didn’t work in pvp at all. but i guess i have to discredit that second one as different games, with different pvp. but I will say, if shadowform was an elite in gw2, it wouldn’t be perma upkeep. I feel stealth is a pretty mediocre mechanic, as it’s really only used in pve to skip past things and in pvp and wvw to cheese.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

It….really wasn’t.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

ritualist is the engineer >_> so obvious.

Faux.1937

ritualist is the engineer >_> so obvious.

Doesnt in anyway feel the same and that is what matters.

SAB or RIOT

Doggie.3184

Except for the part of having tons of non-stealth builds, parrying, an overall martial arts feel, ASSASSIN STYLE ARMOR, and the ability to use any weapon effectively with their Way of the Master style; Instead we’re limited to very few weapons. Then there’s the whole magic caster side of Deadly Arts and Hexes being forgotten. I see no Assassins in GW2.

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

If Anet add monk to gw2, will them be the type of class who fights with their hands? i mean, it would be awesome to see a monk fighing in… uhhh “monk style”… and with weapons, staves and fist weapons…

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Except for the part of having tons of non-stealth builds, parrying, an overall martial arts feel, ASSASSIN STYLE ARMOR, and the ability to use any weapon effectively with their Way of the Master style; Instead we’re limited to very few weapons. Then there’s the whole magic caster side of Deadly Arts and Hexes being forgotten. I see no Assassins in GW2.

This is true , bring da real sins into gw2. Thief is fun but its not a true assassin.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

I know they rolled over the idea of a Ritualist with the Engineer but… the two classes… are like oil and water, at least to me, really.

Having had one of my mains of GW 1 be a Ritualist, I loved the over all idea of having the power to summon spirits in battle to aid or help battle with you.

Thunking a Turret out on the battlefield… doesn’t quite have the same feel to it… Not truly mystical and if anything, in my opinion, when I have play and/or seen an engineer in action… I often wonder if they carry a lifetime warranty from Home Depot….

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

A Massive Headache.1879

Honestly i feel engi does encompass a lot of the rits play style, turrets for spirits. a few really good spike damage for the lightning attacks, and they have probably second or third best party healing/support

Lurker.3609

To people who say there are no assassin style armors, I recommend to check again – there’s a lot. Of course, since thieves are not exclusive to Cantha, they have wider variety of armor styles. Besides, in case you haven’t noticed, armor skins are shared among all professions using same armor tier.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

GW2 is a “dumbed down” version of GW1. Don’t expect anything of the GW1 complexity level. Games like Lineage 2 until chronicle 4/5 or GW1 within first 3-4 years are gone and won’t be coming back. Why? Nowadays, you create games for the greatest audience possible, hence childish dialogues/living story of GW2, a few classes without subclasses/double class system and so on.
I wish it was here, again, but let’s be honest. Those games are gone now, I won’t be expecting them to come back, unless we see the actual Lineage 3 ( no the Diablo 3-esque sequel to Lineage 1. Well, ArcheAge looks close too, as it was created by the Lineage 2 devs.
Still, I wouldn’t be too hopeful for those things to return, mate.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

Assassin -> Thief
Paragon -> Guardian
Monk -> Guardian
Ritualist -> Guardian

LOLOLO yes, my spirit weapons are so great that I used them a whole 1 time during 1,5 year of play.

Equinox.4968

I know they rolled over the idea of a Ritualist with the Engineer but… the two classes… are like oil and water, at least to me, really.

An alchemist from 500+ years ago would be superstitious and terrified of modern technology, even if it was based in the same principles that his pseudoscience was.

Modern scientists find alchemists laughable in their ignorance of what really goes on in chemical reactions and physics, even if the alchemists were right in certain instances.

Times change, and people and professions change with them. The human-centric world of GW1 with its ritualists, monks, and dervishes is gone, replaced with a pluralistic world where power is shared by five races, each with an entirely different theological worldview.

Having had one of my mains of GW 1 be a Ritualist, I loved the over all idea of having the power to summon spirits in battle to aid or help battle with you.

Play a ranger for buffs, or an engineer for turrets. It’s precisely the same mechanics, just with a different flavor.

Thunking a Turret out on the battlefield… doesn’t quite have the same feel to it… Not truly mystical and if anything, in my opinion, when I have play and/or seen an engineer in action… I often wonder if they carry a lifetime warranty from Home Depot….

Mysticism is all but dead in present-day Tyria because of the science-Buddhism of the Asuras, the dogmatic atheism of the Charr, the agnosticism of the Sylvari, and the humans’ periodic doubt that their gods even exist anymore. Technology has taken the place of mysticism in most instances.

Aidan Savage.2078

If Anet add monk to gw2, will them be the type of class who fights with their hands? i mean, it would be awesome to see a monk fighing in… uhhh “monk style”… and with weapons, staves and fist weapons…

They woudnt add monks because that role has been split into individual healing (you know, skill slot 6?) and guardians. And because monks also relied on divine prayers? Who’d answer them now? Zhaitan?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Lorewise, Ritualists got burned at the stake after Cantha became unified. The new Emperor felt communing with the spirit world to be an abomination. So there are only very few left, that practice in secret.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

They woudnt add monks because that role has been split into individual healing (you know, skill slot 6?) and guardians. And because monks also relied on divine prayers? Who’d answer them now? Zhaitan?

uh, I think you’re not reading his post right. Pupi is referring to the Shaolin monk style of fighting, or perhaps Diablo 3’s style of monk, not a healing monk which was a more western style monk. Admittedly, that’s not necessarily unreasonable a thought given the opening of the game in to China. A return to Cantha could be in the future.

Oh and GW1 monks had access to Divine Favour not Prayers, a primary only trait that boosted the strength of their healing skills. The prayers were the skills: Healing, Protection and Smiting Prayers.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Guardian → Ritualist?
Spirit weapons haven’t been fixed for almost two years.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Guardian -> Ritualist?

lol wait for guardian CDI Ç_Ç

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Assassin = Thief

Ritualist = Turret Engineer if it worked – ashes would be like kits

Paragon = Guardian – heavy armor party booner

Monk – not needed in GW2 since there is no dedicated healing class.

Dervish – this one I’d like to see. Guardian is sorta like Dervish, in the sense that it’s a melee profession boosted by “enchantments.” But I’d love to see an actual scythe wielding, aura blanketed, spinning powerhouse like we had with the Dervish. Also, those transformations rocked!

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Doggie.3184

Guardian -> Ritualist?

Wish they were fixed, it’s a cool idea. Some things in this game it feels like Anet just simply has no idea what to do with. My signature for example.

There’re many viable suggestions for these things out there but seems they’ll never happen.

Aidan Savage.2078

Assassin = Thief

Ritualist = Turret Engineer if it worked – ashes would be like kits
Engineer is in no way a “descendant” of Ritualist. The Engineer is more reasonably a “spontaneous” class that evolved out of how the Charr became a race that’s essentially the top ‘blackpowder’ Tech race.
Paragon = Guardian – heavy armor party booner

Monk – not needed in GW2 since there is no dedicated healing class.
Covered by Guardian. Traits, skills, and the use of boons can make a Guardian a disgustingly good healer.
Dervish – this one I’d like to see. Guardian is sorta like Dervish, in the sense that it’s a melee profession boosted by “enchantments.” But I’d love to see an actual scythe wielding, aura blanketed, spinning powerhouse like we had with the Dervish. Also, those transformations rocked!

Dervish is one of those classes that has aspects of it covered by other existing classes, yet can still be introduced as a whole class. Unfortunately, it’s unknown whether or not lore (yes, the lore) can support Dervish ever being playable. Mostly because I cant be bothered to look at the lore.

A Massive Headache.1879

I am one of those people who say enough of the dervish has been encompassed into guardian. but as time goes on, I notice, they could, gameplay wise, make a return, especially if they had auras and could remove their auras, as it stands eles are the only with, outside of runes, that just have skills that give auras, everyone else can make their own via combos. but yeah in terms of lore i don’t think dervish would keep the same name if it were reintroduced, as they were a human only profession. And then balancing them, even in terms of base stats and armor weight placement. But I do feel there’s room for one more profession, even if it’s not a returning one.

Posted by: Highchu.3806

Highchu.3806

Maybe we’ll get new classes in the next expansion, but that might be awhile with the China release. I always enjoyed playing the Ritualist in GW1, I’m just not sure if they can really recapture the same unique flavor it had before. Since all our main skills are tied with weapons we probably won’t be getting to use full bars of spirits like we used to. With the current skill/trait system I’d imagine it becoming something entirely different than what we remember. Also, they would need to open Cantha back up as they don’t really fit in with the current lore.

As for the Paragon/Dervish I didn’t care much for either of those. Guardians are basically a combination of (Paragon+Monk). There may even be a little Paragon in Warriors with Shouts/Banners. Dervishes were pretty cool with the Avatar Elites, but from what I can recall they were completely unbalanced. I would love for them to bring back Scythes though. It was the main reason I would choose Dervish as my secondary profession.

A Massive Headache.1879

Maybe we’ll get new classes in the next expansion, but that might be awhile with the China release. I always enjoyed playing the Ritualist in GW1, I’m just not sure if they can really recapture the same unique flavor it had before. Since all our main skills are tied with weapons we probably won’t be getting to use full bars of spirits like we used to. With the current skill/trait system I’d imagine it becoming something entirely different than what we remember. Also, they would need to open Cantha back up as they don’t really fit in with the current lore.

As for the Paragon/Dervish I didn’t care much for either of those. Guardians are basically a combination of (Paragon+Monk). There may even be a little Paragon in Warriors with Shouts/Banners. Dervishes were pretty cool with the Avatar Elites, but from what I can recall they were completely unbalanced. I would love for them to bring back Scythes though. It was the main reason I would choose Dervish as my secondary profession.

Dervs were kind of broken with pve skills, paragons as heroes were completely broken though, and if you had a warrior/para welcome to damage reduction!!!! !
Rits play style is pretty much entirely encompassed by engineers. You have the turrets for spirits, tool bar for many of the channeling magic type attacks, they have a lot of access to support- elixir gun, healing turret, many combo fields, healing bombs, etc. and the kits kind of act like bundles. To me, I don’t think we’ll see another rit, but I’m not going to tell you to stop asking for one.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I thought Paragons were replaced by Warriors and the Tactical trait line, not Guardians – Longbow for the lots of fire from afar, shouts+banners for the buffs.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

Loved the paragons in GW1, spear throwing + wings ! What more do you want ? ;D

Equinox.4968

I thought Paragons were replaced by Warriors and the Tactical trait line, not Guardians – Longbow for the lots of fire from afar, shouts+banners for the buffs.

Guardians got the “divine fire” thing. A lot of paragon skills were based on burning and protection. The guardian also got a few of their shouts.

Aidan Savage.2078

Paragons were more about party support than methods that increased the party’s damage directly imo.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Don’t mean to burst everyone’s bubble, but the “added” classes in GW1 were what caused constant skill balancing (and re-balancing) for 7 years…. From the comments I have seen, the Dev’s fully realize these were a mistake to introduce and they have certainly never mentioned any new classes for GW2 (and I doubt they ever will).

Would be HORRIBLY surprised if new classes are EVER introduced into GW2.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

A Massive Headache.1879

Don’t mean to burst everyone’s bubble, but the “added” classes in GW1 were what caused constant skill balancing (and re-balancing) for 7 years…. From the comments I have seen, the Dev’s fully realize these were a mistake to introduce and they have certainly never mentioned any new classes for GW2 (and I doubt they ever will).

Would be HORRIBLY surprised if new classes are EVER introduced into GW2.

Uhh. first it was secondary professions that made gw1 balance impossible, also made it a ton of fun. Secondly, gw2 is already completely unbalanced. Third, they already said nothings off the table so it very well could happen, would be a fresh change to have a new profession that could fit a different play style

Posted by: cptn skyz.8706

cptn skyz.8706

Ok so for those who played gw1 and played a assassin knows that thief is nothing like assassin . the thief is well a thief nothing much to it buuuuutttt the assassin is like a epicly awsome super ninja of death haha anyways it would be awsome to have the real sin (assassin) back so anet plz do it

Skyz Thief

Posted by: soapingwet.4810

soapingwet.4810

The classes from gw1 and gw2 are only similar in names, they are nothing alike in mechanics and unfortunately, more shallow in the new game.