best new race release order. y/n?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

1. Largos
The only other race I’d be interested in playing.

Agreed. However I would like to have an option to hide the wingfins though.

Then they are just another humanoid. why bother calling them largos?

Doesn’t affect you, I like to think of it as a potential story piece. So, why would you care exactly in detail?

Wingfins are their race specific characteristic.Its like having an option for charrs ro hide their tail.

Again, this doesn’t have any affect on you. They’re obviously distinct compared to the other races regardless of their fins. Deal with it.
Edit: Not to mention this would make for some great convenience for back items.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

(edited by Nightarch.2943)

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Omfg no. I could only stand quaggans in the game if they brought playable krait in the same update, with the ability to instantly kill quaggans anywhere, anytime. In a painful manner.

In that case though, yay quaggans.

Posted by: Diamandis.7483

Diamandis.7483

I want to be a cute little Skritt!! who needs to grind when you can just steal a shiney

oh even better idea make a new class to go alone with them kinda like FFXI blue mages they can steal skills too! Skritt uses hundred blades with a dagger Norn takes 9999 dmg falls to the ground crying

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”

(edited by Diamandis.7483)

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Tengu are the only option!

Posted by: ThePedroKid.2580

ThePedroKid.2580

Deldrimor opens and a new race of dwarves is discovered (can fit into a living story). Would be an astonishing revelation in the world of Tyria and introduce dwarves as a race.

Burly, muscular and totally badazz dwarves.

Oh, and add two handed axes to the game and more hammers that actually look like hammers to the game (i.e., like entropy/genesis). These tiny little wuss hammers disturb me and look impotent when wielded.

That is all.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Deldrimor opens and a new race of dwarves is discovered (can fit into a living story). Would be an astonishing revelation in the world of Tyria and introduce dwarves as a race.

Burly, muscular and totally badazz dwarves.

Oh, and add two handed axes to the game and more hammers that actually look like hammers to the game (i.e., like entropy/genesis). These tiny little wuss hammers disturb me and look impotent when wielded.

That is all.

The problem is that lore states all dwarves were turned to stone. It was their destiny to eternally battle Primordus.

Posted by: zallesz.1650

zallesz.1650

Largos. Even though they are steampunkish dark elfs-rays, they are somewhat sexy. Would be very popular. More money for Anet. That is the driving force. And not the lore.

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

Well they do have a few races in mind to make playable, why else would they have to decide which one to make playable first?

I hope they make two playable at the same time to avoid a mad rush to play the new race in one zone. I would like the Largos the best.

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

“Trahearne states that the two met on the seas outside Orr and both had difficulties to cause them to join forces to overcome them which is when Sayeh declared herself indebted to him.” From Wiki. It would make prefect sense for the Largos to ally with the other 5 races to combat the Elder Dragons.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

i updated the list after reconsideration. maybe quaggan should be #1 and skritt #2, idk….

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Either Largos or Tengo..these are the only possibilities we currently know off.

Norn is the equivalent of Kodan.
The rest of them like centaurs…that will never happen. It’s the exact same as asking for wasps to be a playable race. Those are just random trash mobs.

wolfie.7296

they would be very popular. don’t be so quick to dismiss them…

Rebound.3409

Yes….as mounts and mount jokes.

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

What I never understand is that in the entirety of GW1 we had one playable race…now they give us 5 and everyone all of a sudden needs more.
Might as well be realistic here and say the ones that are pretty much stated they wont ever be a race

Centaurs (dev confirmed wont ever happen)

All of the Personal story races
Quaggans
Skritt
Grawl
Ogres
Hylek

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

36% play humans and you want the devs to waste time with more races???

Anyhow, Watchknights would be nice (though I know the concept of armor will not work with them).

Add, let’s say, dwarves and you’ll get 40% playing the dwarves.

Any well thought out race will get a solid, positive response.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Rebound.3409

Asuras are the new dwarfs

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

We’re talking a span of like, the next ten years, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see any combination of kodan, largos, tengu, and/or dwarves become playable at some point.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

wolfie.7296

they could do all races in 2 years…if they wanted…

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

best order for new races

1. centaur
2. krait
3. skritt
4. quaggan
5. largos
6. tengu

1 – That nonsense will never happen
2 – That nonsense will never happen
3 – That will never happen as they are destined to be a Personal Story only race, how friggin often has ANet to say this, until everybody finally grasps this
4 – See 3
5 – Very unlikely and if it should happen, then hopefully with a complete redesign of them, because their bodies are just ugly as hell, their wings are nonsensical on land, no trustworthy physics there, their lore currently is absolute cheap and not fleshed out, we know basically nothing about them
6 – From everything that GW2 offers so far as options its the only good option, that is very realistic and should have been in your list number 1, because its the only race, thats currently not playabler, which is from all of the unplayable races the only one, which WAS ONCE concepted to be a playable race at the early design phases of this game, but then, whyever, Anet has decided to remove them as playable class and put them back, same as like there was once a phase in this game, where Anet considered polearm weapons to be useable and then why the hell ever, they decided to remove them and the only mark that is left over from that in the game is the polearm weapon you can see in the charr town at Brimstones Room as room decoration >.<

Tengus currently are of all unplayable classes the only one, where we basically know exactly, where their racial hometown is, the only race, that has enough body models ect that are different, not looking always basically the same as you can see everywhere tengus with different heads, different feathers ect.

There exists not without a reason this concept art for them.

http://gw2.gameguyz.de/sites/default/files/pictures/1383702241_2.jpg

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

wolfie.7296

and you call largos ugly….that concept art means it will remain at #6 on my list….also, it’s not nonsense. they are very good races and would be very popular

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

During the time we are waiting for new races Arenanet could introduce new races:

• Moas (chicks are back in LA)
  • Dolphins
  • Devourer/Wurms for subterrestrial races

wolfie.7296

i don’t think they would be popular like the ones in my list. ty for your input.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

1) We’ve already seen female centaurs, so I guess that drops down to four. Also, they are said to be a black race, with questionable swimming animation possibilities, and even harder armor designs. ArenaNet has also said a long while ago that centaurs won’t be a playable race – they don’t want them as such (though this can change).
2) Krait are evil and were made to be a pure black race. ArenaNet has stated multiple times that the players will always play the hero. Krait race won’t be possible. Not to mention armor designs. As cool as it would be, won’t happen.
3&4) Skritt and quaggan are racial sympathies and don’t fit several qualities a playable race needs – numbers, advancement, large cultural diversity, and large territory.
5) Can work.
6) Can work, but we’ve seen female tengu – they basically look like male tengu, but larger and fluffier feathers.

This said, a long while ago – 2010 or ‘11 I think – someone from ArenaNet put up a checklist that the devs use when considering new professions and races. The minor races do not fit this checklist (unfortunately, I cannot find it again…), and neither do any of the enemy races. Largos, tengu, kodan may, in regards to Tyrian races. But I think that’s all there.

When talking about non-Tyrian races, I can see a few that we’ve met which have a chance, depending on the circumstances:

• Naga from Cantha (for the snake race lovers)
  • Wardens (depending on what they were originally but may be too similar to sylvari and humans)
  • Heket (no, not hylek)
  • Joko’s Undead, but unlikely since it’s not really a race (but I can see it happening).

And that’s it really. No other race really stands a chance at becoming playable, and even then those four are very unlikely – Joko’s Undead having the strongest chance, despite how I’d love to play a naga.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

wolfie.7296

imo i think the devs are being unnecessarily pessimistic about those ones…also, all of your points about the centaur are depressing…but i think as a race the nobility of the creatures walking the cobbled streets would instill a need for a visual update.

Posted by: dansamy.3752

dansamy.3752

The Tengu were originally intended to be a playable race. Their mesh is the same as charr. However, I suspect Tengu got scrapped in much the same way as Divinity’s Reach’s Canthan/arts district. Last minute objections & off to the scrap heap.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

best order for new races

1. centaur Already said no – A.Net
2. krait Already said NO – A.Net
3. skritt Already Said NO – A.Net
4. quaggan Already Said No – A.Net
5. largos maybe – would need more back story with this race
6. tengu Yes
Grawl – maybe – big in GW1 story and in GW2
The Forgotten – if we go to the Crystal Desert
The Kodan – if we go to the Northern Shiverpeaks

A.Net said no to Minor races already in a Blog post. Tengu will the race, more than likely, since they were already were being developed for the game.

IrishPotato.6327

best order for new races

1. centaur Already said no – A.Net
2. krait Already said NO – A.Net
3. skritt Already Said NO – A.Net
4. quaggan Already Said No – A.Net
5. largos maybe – would need more back story with this race
6. tengu Yes
Grawl – maybe – big in GW1 story and in GW2
The Forgotten – if we go to the Crystal Desert
The Kodan – if we go to the Northern Shiverpeaks

A.Net said no to Minor races already in a Blog post. Tengu will the race, more than likely, since they were already were being developed for the game.

Grawl count in the “No” because they’re included under the minor races

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Here are the things that will disqualify a race for being playable:

- Minor race. Any race meantioned as being “lesser”, “minor” or “tribal” will be disqualified. That leaves out skritt, grawl, quaggan, jotun and ogres, as they are all mentioned as that in the personal story, but also races like harpy.

- Evil alignment. Few creatures in the game are only found as enemies, but those that are are left out instantly. Players will never be evil. So creatures like krait, mursatt or Joko’s undead can’t be playable. Demons like margonites would be left out, unless the Apsotate made some sort of community with other “less evil” margonites and ended up making a neutral nucleus that could generate heroes too.

- Not being a medium or small size humanoid. All playable races must have 2 arms and 2 legs and be within a certain size. Otherwise making armors for them would be a pain as they can’t be made by using the same basic design as a base. Maps are also designed for 2-hand-2legs humanoids. Some small platforms to stand on, some narrow stairs, some things… so centaur, forgotten, seer and naga are left out too. Same with giants.

- Limited customization. A race must be customizable. If all members of that race look mostly the same by design (not just because there’s few models) they can’t be a playable race. This leaves out races like Kodan, because all of them look like polar bears. And if they did something like pulling “long lost kodan relatives from other regions” with other bear appearances that’ll open the door to “panda kodan”, and we know what would happen next. Most bears look mostly the same, anyways.
Dredge are left out by this too. All are basically humanoid naked mole rats, so all look mostly pink, with underdeveloped eyes, same long incisives, almost no ears…
Same if lore says they can’t change. Dwarves can’t be playable because their appearance is literally set in stone… and also because there’s no new dwarves. Their numbers only go down.

Because of this, the greatest candidates for a new race are:

- Tengu. Massive customization potential, even for the less colorful and bigger females, same frame as charr so making new armors is not much harder, different animations to keep them unique. Lots of lore and already established as a “greater race”.
- Largos. Only if they lose their fins. This could be from those fins being actually a cultural back item, or by starting the personal storyline by being banished from Largos society for refusing to kill a target or something like that, and losing those fins as punishment, by getting them cut. In this case players could start in Lion’s arch instead their own city, with a “balance lost” effect that makes them tumble once in a while while out of combat to symbolize getting used to not having fins, and eventually go back to their city to regain their honor and get the fins (as back items). The fins must go for them to be playable, because they’ll get in the way of back items.
- Whatever Razah was. Razah was a humanoid entity born in the mists. Essentially a human-shaped demon, but without the evil intent demons have. As he was made out of mists, he could have had any other shape. A race based on Razah would have massive customization potential, as they could look like literally anything, so players would only be limited by the “humanoid medium or small” rule, but other Razah-like NPCs could have snake or centaur bodies too. So players could make humanoids mixing parts from other races, like horns and tails and feathers and fur and huge norn or charr sizes or small asura sizes or long ears or no ears and the like, the potential of whatever Razah was is limited only for players, and for them only what limits them for being playable races.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

@ konig:

How the hell do you think about that silly undeads from OUR ENEMY should become a playable race, when the main portion of the game#s main story so far consists of slaying millions of undeads from Zhaitan…

How would it make a freakign sense at all to play as an undead and kill undeads while fighting against that undead Joko later, which basically posseses your soul.

Makes absolutely no sense this unthought out idea
You say self they are NO RACE. Undeads can be everything, same as like the undeads from zhaitan come from all races of tyria.

Largos should be redesigned to look more like this, with a much better fleshed out lore and a home town ect. whats all needed for a playable race.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-16/bs-fishman.html

That Anet isn’t scared about it to redesign races have they already shown with the Sylvari and in which short time they have completely redesigned the whole look of this race.
I guess, we might see perhaps such a kind of redesign (as it naturally means alot of effort) when we get near to the point, where Anet might announce an AddOn/Living Story Season, where we finally get introduced to the Elder Sea Dragon and when Anet finally gives the whole underwater gameplay and content of this game alot more attention, than currently now, because at the moment, the whole underwater gameplay and everythign around it feels like just being some kind of unwanted stepchild content, that did got implemented into the game, because of some decision makers of NC Soft making pressure to see that stuff gettign implemented and otherwise, no butt is caring for that content anymore to the point, that parts of the content/gameplay got even removed out of the game again >.>

Seriously !

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

1. centaur**
2. krait
3. skritt
4. quaggan
5. largos
6. tengu***

-snip-

/no

Several of those, just based on previous things the devs have said, you can infer will probably never happen (like your first 4). Which I’m ok with, because it would be very hard to make some of those work as player characters.

Obviously they haven’t come out and directly said ‘no we won’t do these, or these aren’t possible,’ but it’s highly unrealistic that they would would say such a thing as it hard caps their potential.

Likely candidates for future races would probably include 5 and 6, and probably Kodan.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

i rely want Skritt ad my new character
there just funny as hell

Skritt am hit

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Please, no more furries…..

What if I told you that some people are tired of playing human/human-like races all of the time?

Attachments:

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

As long as they don’t bring in elves, we will be fine!!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Still have $100 in my back pocket to hand over 2.31 seconds after Centaurs become a playable race.

Not joking.

Nine months later and this has not changed .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

IrishPotato.6327

Still have $100 in my back pocket to hand over 2.31 seconds after Centaurs become a playable race.

Not joking.

Nine months later and this has not changed .

Centaurs are a black race, won’t be playable ever. I feel your pain.

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Skritt.. Skritt.. Skritt!!!! shinies shinies SHINIES!!!!

=^_^=

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Skritt.. Skritt.. Skritt!!!! shinies shinies SHINIES!!!!

=^_^=

hm… couldn’t help myself

(my ringtone )

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

As long as they don’t bring in elves, we will be fine!!

Too late.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Avatar_of_Holiday_Cheer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdF3M3inOTk

If they are actually canon, they must live in Dwayna’s realm, but if she ever comes back, and her realm opens again, they could come back.

Not that they would be playable, though. They are just something ANet made up for fun.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

1. Tengu (logical follow-up, they are cultivated and sentient, cantha-related)
2. Hylek (rather developed creatures, not as smart as Tengu though)
3. Skritt (same as Hylek, but obsessive and slightly annoying xD)
4. Margonite (moooooore than epic if elona ever comes)
5. Mursaat (ring of fire, bring the mursaat back!)
6. Centaur (well everyone likes half-humans, and did anyone say mounts?)
7. Dwarves (lore-wise hard, but still manageable, I liked Ogden)

Largos (ugly insect-like beings with wings… no thanks)

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

While I personally would love Skritt, we will never seem them. Lore wise it just doesn’t make sense. They aren’t very smart when they aren’t with a bunch of other skritt.

Tengu were supposed to be in at launch, or at least considered at one point or another. There was reference to this in the art book I think. With that much work being done on them already it’s more than likely this is the race we’ll see first.

Armor issues and clipping in general is a problem for most other races. Tengu included. Either way we’ll be waiting a long time before we see more. I’d also love another class to play. Expansion usually bring this stuff and we aren’t close to seeing one of those, if ever either.

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

While I personally would love Skritt, we will never seem them. Lore wise it just doesn’t make sense. They aren’t very smart when they aren’t with a bunch of other skritt.

So how about three skritt that make up my character?

Or many little kits!

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

There is still an issue with too many things on the screen at once and you want 3 characters = 1?

Fun idea, honestly. But it doesn’t seem like something we’ll see.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Short, chubby creatures with an insatiable appetite, furry feet, and a craving for tobacco. At birth they are given a ring and to be able to mature to level 80 they have to carry the ring to Mount Doom and drop it in. Or they could just keep the ring and put in on thus gaining perma-stealth and becoming burglars.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Tengu must be first. They deserve the addition more than any other race because of their long history with the series, distinctive culture, varied appearance potential, and large aesthetic difference as opposed to any other race. They even have an established racial city.

Plus they were “a strong candidate” for playable race at launch, according to the ‘Making Of’ book. They require the least amount of work, development and lore wise, to be playable. I can pretty much guarantee they’ll be the next race.

Largos will likely come when our focus turns to Bubbles. And Kodan when we go after Jormag.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Centaurs are a black race, won’t be playable ever. I feel your pain.

After the comedy skit of the Toxic Alliance, I’m pretty sure the very concept of “black race” has been pitched out the airlock. “Villain” races will go anywhere the story leads them .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

1. centaur**
2. krait
3. skritt
4. quaggan
5. largos
6. tengu

think about jumping puzzles with these races. wont be fair for some of them.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

best order for new races

1. centaur**
2. krait
3. skritt
4. quaggan
5. largos
6. tengu***

Centaurs and Krait wouldn’t make much sense, considering that they are enemies of the other races. Heck, how the kitten would you put Quaggans and Krait in the same place at the same time? Or Centaurs and humans?

As for Skritt, they are used as opportunistic villains (WvW, Wintersday) and are turned into research subjects by the Asura. How exactly would you make that work?

But hey, at least you didn’t suggest Dwarves. Or Jotun. Though you kinda missed Kodan. Kodan and Tengu make the most sense. Everything else is either an enemy of another race or too scarce.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Flip the Tengu and Centaurs around, then move Largos to last, and I’d support it. :P

Posted by: Opal.9324

Opal.9324

I would really love tengu as a playable race, but this?

if the females were hot, with feathers around open skin, they would be place#2

Just no. Giving them “feathers around open skin” to make them “hot” would look ridiculous. Also it kind of reminds me of what happens when birds get depressed and start plucking their own feathers and it does not look pretty. Also tengu should be #1 because birds are awesome.

Posted by: Scrivs.4501

Scrivs.4501

n.

Only one of those I would like to play would be Tengu. Perhaps Largos as well.
But any of the others? Definitely not.

[EU] Desolation
Mesmer – Necromancer – Ranger – Elementalist – Revenant