buying the 400 hero points with gems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Bought a forum bug squisher for 400 gems and squished bug.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People should be able to use real money to catch up to those who have more time to play. People should not be able to use real money to get ahead of people who are actually playing the game. The ability to buy power is the very definition of pay2win.

I wouldn’t mind if Anet did something like this in a years time, allowing people to catch up (but I don’t believe they will).

They should absoluteliy not do it before almost everyone has their elite specializations unlocked.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

People should be able to use real money to catch up to those who have more time to play. People should not be able to use real money to get ahead of people who are actually playing the game. The ability to buy power is the very definition of pay2win.

I wouldn’t mind if Anet did something like this in a years time, allowing people to catch up (but I don’t believe they will).

They should absoluteliy not do it before almost everyone has their elite specializations unlocked.

Even then I would still say no, no matter what someone will always be behind in someway in some aspect of the game. Should Anet offer other items like buy all WvW abilities unlock for Gems for those people to catch up also? . Where would it stop or at all? It would be a very bad idea to go down that road.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No, the gem store only offers cosmetics and convenience items. Changing that would change the game and not in a good way.

I consider not having to ‘level’ another specialization to be a convenience; this would not fundamental affect the type of products available in the gem shop.

That said, a lot of similar convenience items weren’t added to the game until later. I imagine the same will be true for hero points: on launch day, everyone starts on an equal footing; in a year, I’m sure 4th birthday will include items that assist with gaining hero points.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I’m pretty sure most of the 400 points is going to be going towards skins.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: chaosdurza.3291

chaosdurza.3291

I don’t understand the argument of “if you don’t want to play the game then what are you doing?” in regards to not wanting to earn 400 HP to unlock the elites. Why is it so ridiculous that someone might want to play through the new content WITH the new elite spec? Not play through the content, and THEN get the elite spec?

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t understand the argument of “if you don’t want to play the game then what are you doing?” in regards to not wanting to earn 400 HP to unlock the elites. Why is it so ridiculous that someone might want to play through the new content WITH the new elite spec? Not play through the content, and THEN get the elite spec?

Because chaosdurza, just because someone wants to open up their wallet and buy their way past an obstacle doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: chaosdurza.3291

chaosdurza.3291

I’m all for earning your way, don’t get me wrong. But I also definitely side with the group that would prefer to experience the new content while playing the new spec, rather than experience what I can only assume is a large portion of it to unlock the spec. Maybe paying for it with gems is the wrong approach, but it’s the best idea I’ve seen thus far.

JediYoda.1275

I’m all for earning your way, don’t get me wrong. But I also definitely side with the group that would prefer to experience the new content while playing the new spec, rather than experience what I can only assume is a large portion of it to unlock the spec. Maybe paying for it with gems is the wrong approach, but it’s the best idea I’ve seen thus far.

4 new maps with 10 HPs per map with each HP is worth 10 points is a perfect compromise, just do 40 HPs x 10 = 400 HP.

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

No, gems shouldn’t allow shortcuts like that. I could see maybe an item like an experience scroll for alts sometime, but it should be gained through playing if so.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The best idea you’ve seen so far isn’t the best idea that there is, or even that it’s a good idea at all. Y’all should consider what it might be like to play in a game where people pay for advantage, such as getting all hero points immediately, and you have to pay also or fall behind.

A way in game or a reduction in number of hero points, yes. Not a paid advantage for the rich.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

gems to unlock all waypoints (requested today)
gems for immediate level 80 (requested yesterday)
gems for mounts with 100-300% speed boost (frequent)
gems to convert PvE maps to PvE/PvP (frequent)
gems to unlock all hero points (requested today)

Just because someone wants it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. It may benefit you and other players yet be bad for the game as a whole.

It really makes me wonder why such people play games at all if they can’t put any effort in anything ingame and have to rely on $ to get good. Really quite sad.

Because farming to unlock a spec will make you good ^^

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Just because someone wants it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. It may benefit you and other players yet be bad for the game as a whole.

It really makes me wonder why such people play games at all if they can’t put any effort in anything ingame and have to rely on $ to get good. Really quite sad.

And because if the option existed to buy out certain pieces of content with gems, it devalues the effort everyone else put in to get those hero points the normal way. This on top of setting up a dangerous precedent in the future for trivializing content with the Gemstore.

Stop trying to buy shortcuts through content, and realize Elite Specializations are not the same as Core lines, they are character progression. I am extremely certain future specialization lines will follow this pattern of earning hero points to unlock them as well.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

No, simply playing and taking the time to actually learn the games mechanics and earning/building up your character as opposed to buy2build and playing it lousy in comparison. Not too hard of a traditional concept I hope.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

JediYoda.1275

it makes you better player vs the ones buying them with no skill/too lazy to get them on their own.

Laraley.7695

And because if the option existed to buy out certain pieces of content with gems, it devalues the effort everyone else put in to get those hero points the normal way. This on top of setting up a dangerous precedent in the future for trivializing content with the Gemstore.

Stop trying to buy shortcuts through content, and realize Elite Specializations are not the same as Core lines, they are character progression. I am extremely certain future specialization lines will follow this pattern of earning hero points to unlock them as well.

Oh, I’m not getting the spec for my main since it’s trash. I’m just saying that farming HP to unlock it won’t make you good. Another player could be using that time to get better a different way and you do not get to say what works out better for him.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Why do people think you need 400 hero points for the elite spec? That is to unlock a bunch of aesthetic stuff too.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

What if you could convert those birthday scrolls into hero points? It would make a lot of disenfranchised vets happy.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Sykper.6583

Oh, I’m not getting the spec for my main since it’s trash. I’m just saying that farming HP to unlock it won’t make you good. Another player could be using that time to get better a different way and you do not get to say what works out better for him.

Never implied that getting the hero points normally would bestow great PvE prowess. And I do get a say on what works out better because it directly correlates to how not just myself but everyone else feels with concern to character progression. Having the elite specializations behind Hero Points is one of the ways Arenanet could have had new lines come into the game since increasing the level cap was out of the option.

Elite Specializations are what leveling 1-80 was to the original core Specializations where you gained hero points often to continue improving your current character. It’s similar to asking to buy character levels with gems. Do you understand now why it would be bad to set a gem price?

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Laraley.7695

Never implied that getting the hero points normally would bestow great PvE prowess. And I do get a say on what works out better because it directly correlates to how not just myself but everyone else feels with concern to character progression. Having the elite specializations behind Hero Points is one of the ways Arenanet could have had new lines come into the game since increasing the level cap was out of the option.

Elite Specializations are what leveling 1-80 was to the original core Specializations where you gained hero points often to continue improving your current character. It’s similar to asking to buy character levels with gems. Do you understand now why it would be bad to set a gem price?

Did you even read my post? Did I ever say anything about the idea of buying the spec? No. I replied to a comment who said people want to rely on money to get good. Farming HP won’t make you good. Period.

No, you don’t get to say if someone feels he’ll get better by actually practicing his class rather than farming, sorry.

And it’s not really, I’ve leveled most of my characters without doing any levelling. There is no other option than actually go and get the HP.

Posted by: ungascarlo.7459

ungascarlo.7459

No please

//15chars

Sykper.6583

Did you even read my post? Did I ever say anything about the idea of buying the spec? No. I replied to a comment who said people want to rely on money to get good. Farming HP won’t make you good. Period.

No, you don’t get to say if someone feels he’ll get better by actually practicing his class rather than farming, sorry.

And it’s not really, I’ve leveled most of my characters without doing any levelling. There is no other option than actually go and get the HP.

“Another player could be using that time to get better a different way…” is where I drew the conclusion that you agree with the opportunity of the spec being purchasable since you correlate the entirety of earning the HPs as a lesser learning experience or waste of time. Perhaps that wasn’t your intent but you came off as justifying to me as making the gems an option to pay for free HPs since it was a waste of time to ‘farm them’ for some people. I apologize if that wasn’t what you meant.

How is the in-game activity to reach and complete Magumma HPs not practicing his profession if he’s going into the jungle with it? We can’t even compare the difficulties of HPs in the core with what is coming out in HoT but it looks to be a bit more of a trial than aimlessly killing the normal ‘Bandit Leader and 2 cohorts’ HP we get in Queensdale. I would hate it if the Magumma HPs turned into ‘Farm level’ content too, but I highly doubt that is what they will be even if doing Magumma completion for the 3rd or 4th time.

…And I presume by your last comment you are referring to craft-leveling, tomes, ‘Not leaving LA’ activities to level? Everything has upsides and downsides, although you achieved level 80 quickly you did not go to the Core game and get HPs, ergo you have more to do on those insta-level characters than your veteran ones.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Laraley.7695

“Another player could be using that time to get better a different way…” is where I drew the conclusion that you agree with the opportunity of the spec being purchasable since you correlate the entirety of earning the HPs as a lesser learning experience or waste of time. Perhaps that wasn’t your intent but you came off as justifying to me as making the gems an option to pay for free HPs since it was a waste of time to ‘farm them’ for some people. I apologize if that wasn’t what you meant.

How is the in-game activity to reach and complete Magumma HPs not practicing his profession if he’s going into the jungle with it? We can’t even compare the difficulties of HPs in the core with what is coming out in HoT but it looks to be a bit more of a trial than aimlessly killing the normal ‘Bandit Leader and 2 cohorts’ HP we get in Queensdale. I would hate it if the Magumma HPs turned into ‘Farm level’ content too, but I highly doubt that is what they will be even if doing Magumma completion for the 3rd or 4th time.

…And I presume by your last comment you are referring to craft-leveling, tomes, ‘Not leaving LA’ activities to level? Everything has upsides and downsides, although you achieved level 80 quickly you did not go to the Core game and get HPs, ergo you have more to do on those insta-level characters than your veteran ones.

Maybe actually read what I was replying to again. Several million times I said that I was actually pointing out getting those skill points won’t make you good. Different people have different ways to get better. I do not find nor did in any in those beta open world be challenging at all and it definitely won’t be when everyone will be there doing it, hardly a challenge.

Doesn’t mean running around pve map should be the only option to get the elite specs.

Sykper.6583

Congrats, you have said it four times clearly since your last post that HPs do not make you any better. Since that is your only point, which I am ok with you making, it has no substantial value other than just being a opinionated statement on its own.

Good news about your final point is that you don’t just HAVE to run around the PvE map doing the HPs, you can earn them in WvW as well, and SPvP has them automatically unlocked!

Which is why I feel justified in saying that people need to stop being lazy bums and get ready to burn some calories in the jungle or WvW.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

first idea i had after reading elite spec will cost 400 hero points,
is to let me buy them with gems (aka real money after buying gems)

or maybe put the elite spec unlock on TP

what do you think ?

if they sell it at 20k gems i wouldn’t mind…. more money to Anet…. any lesser is no good business….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: MCHarris.5648

MCHarris.5648

Yes… People should have the choice.

There is a choice though, you want the elite spec you do the work for it

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

They aren’t going to do that. That’s never been how this game works.

Good point. I’ll settle for a potion of reasonable length that every time I get A Hero Point, I get 2 instead. Because the boost prove that the game does in fact work that way.

At least it isn’t pay2win up in this bi…. Oh who the hell are we lying to, it is exactly the way the game works.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

how bout….100 gems to post on the forums? Lots of people seem eager to throw money at anet, this seems the best way.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

They aren’t going to do that. That’s never been how this game works.

Good point. I’ll settle for a potion of reasonable length that every time I get A Hero Point, I get 2 instead. Because the boost prove that the game does in fact work that way.

At least it isn’t pay2win up in this bi…. Oh who the hell are we lying to, it is exactly the way the game works.

Except that you can get boosters with relative ease through areas other than the gemstore.

There is a fine line between boosters, what you’re proposing, and what the OP is proposing. They are not the same thing simply because of semantics. The game design impact and implications are vastly different.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: JamboHammer.4397

JamboHammer.4397

It really makes me wonder why *such* people play games at all if they can’t put any effort in anything ingame and have to rely on $ to _get good_. Really quite sad.

thats logic is so flawed, how bout all the effort players put in to get the guard stacks in wvw and now they are takeing them out cuz of the new players, that devalues my time and everyone elses time who worked for them just to cater to the new players

Nsp,Gom,Mag[Yaks Bend] Asura Thief- Chronic Fangs/Asura War- Karcerus/Norn Mes- Karcmerus
Charr Ele- Mack Jack/Human Guardian- Karcian/Human Necro- Karcermancer/
Asura Rev- Kushatronium/Asura Engi- Kushatronic /Sylvari Ranger- Karcushian

(edited by JamboHammer.4397)

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

thats logic is so flawed, how bout all the effort players put in to get the guard stacks in wvw and now they are takeing them out cuz of the new players, that devalues my time and everyone elses time who worked for them just to cater to the new players

The problem with the guard stacks is a bit deeper though. One could argue that it’s been taken out because of new players but: if you enter wvw and bump into someone who’s already taken a camp/tower (which isn’t much effort), you’re at disadvantage. So maybe it was not so smart to bring them into the game in the first place.

Posted by: Rukiichan.4315

Rukiichan.4315

I really don’t mind, I have 2 chars with world complete and i’m too sick of the maps to do them again on 7 of my other chars over and over and over and over.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

so gw2 is moving to pay to win now?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

-snip-

“I play for the game mechanics”

Except what are HPCs? Game mechanics. Specifically the mechanic designed to earn you character progression through game play.

sigh

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)