changing race for 2,000 gems??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

you know how we can transfer servers for a fee of 1,800 gems. well, what if we were able to change to another race for 2,000 or less gems once we reach level 80. its just a idea gosh! so dont throw rocks at me :)

why? well because gw2 is about fashion and maybe not everyone wants to start the same profession with a different race all over again just to change the appearance

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

ANet so far has said no.

Race changes:
1) I am afraid that the team does contemplate different possibilities and new features for the future but this one is not among those. Source
2) There are a lot of far-reaching consequences of allowing one character to play through every race’s personal story or equip any cultural armor/weapons. For now, we feel that it would take away from the experience of Guild Wars 2 for the majority of players. Source
3) Thanks for asking. To change the race in the Gem store will not be an option in Guild Wars 2. Source

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Probably too much effort to program a system to handle resetting the personal story. Anet’s not one to shy away from a method to wring more sweet, sweet gem money out of us and this idea gets shot down almost every time one brings it up.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Didn’t I see this thread yesterday?

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Astral Projections.7320

Get sufficient mats to level all crafting to 400, this will get you to level 58 (the 2000 gems can be sold for gold to finance this). Do enough PvP/PvE dailies to get enough tomes/writs to finish. Delete old char. Remake. Craft and use tomes/writs. Enjoy your new char.

I did a race change, necro Sylvari to necro Norn. Not that big a deal. Leveling is fast, especially if you throw in some crafting.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

darkaheart.4265

im pretty sure they can do it though -.-
probably the only requirement would be to finish the story
or
make it into some code that can work like a transmutation charge

but oh well if not, i guess actually spending those gems into crafting to level up a new character would be the same, itll just take some time :/

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

What about your Personal Story progression & racial skills? Since what race you pick at the start also determines what personal story and racial Utility & Elite Skills you use.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Astral Projections.7320

You can get 16 tomes of knowledge just for logging in for 28 days now. Doing the dailies gets you writs. Those take 20 for one level but they accumulate, especially if you do more than the minimum 3. Throw in the tomes from PvP, and it’s even more.

It won’t take long before people who play regularly will have enough tomes and writs to reach level 80 right after character creation. It’s possible that all these tomes and writs are ANet’s answer to those who want race changes.

darkaheart.4265

ehh too much work lol

Astral Projections.7320

ehh too much work lol

This might be the whole problem right here.

darkaheart.4265

i like to play gw2 dont get me wrong but as for time, i dont play that much and i would rather enjoy that time in wvw or friends(online)

Astral Projections.7320

i like to play gw2 dont get me wrong but as for time, i dont play that much and i would rather enjoy that time in wvw or friends(online)

Of course, but those are your options. They’ve said repeatedly that there will be no race changes so it’s not likely to be available in the near (or even far) future.

I suspect from what they’ve said that’s it’s literally not something they can do without causing major bugs because of the way personal story is part of character creation. One post from a Dev made a joking remark that no Asuran technology could so it, which I take as a roundabout way to say ANet doesn’t have the technology.

Since it won’t be an option you can either not change or you can use what’s available.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

800 gems for an extra character slot versus 2,000 for a race change? Considering the sheer number of experience boosters and level boosters out there right now it is just not worth it. I could, if I wanted to, create a new character and have him to 80 in just a few seconds as I have the experience scrolls to boost him to level 20 and 23 tomes of knowledge plus 40 tomes of mentorship to take him the other 40 levels.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I rather they put the effort into race change, making a new character is not that good of an answer.

Name
Map completion (WvW included)
Traits (yay for new system…)
WP’s
Skill points
Nostalgic tie to character
Crafting
NPE

I can see the race change service being one of their hottest selling services of the year, hell w/all the bad publicity of the NPE/trait system it may even bring back a few veterans.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)