condition damage gets buffed ... wait whut?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

• We’re also looking to make conditions scale better in PvE/WvW leveling so that they’re more viable at different junctures in the level scale.

-Balance and skill team

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/October-15th-balance-skills-updates-preview/first

Sad the buffs didn’t make it into the patch on 15th. :/ It still feels useless to play condition damage in pve especially with these 25 max stacks on bleeding … arenanet?

I hope they don’t forget about condition players – it doesn’t affect me directly but I really would enjoy more different sets used in pve. Right now you only can go for berserker or maybe kitten to be efficient.

toughts?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: dukefx.9730

dukefx.9730

Those are adjustments to condition damage in areas where you get down scaled!

Xyonon.3987

And I was excepting buffs … well – at least I know that I can go full zerk now with my necro! Thx for your info

sigh my lack of english

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Who cares about conditions while you’re leveling?

That’s like… #5132812318731231831731731 on the gw2 priority list.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

People who are levelling with a condition build

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

People who are levelling with a condition build

That are perfectly fine as it is, and the pve is beyond faceroll, so again, who cares?

Conditions have much, MUCH bigger problems with PvE than minor level scaling issues.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Just get rid of the kittening cap. It’s ridiculous and can’t be taken serious. Really, I mean REALLY!?!?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Just get rid of the kittening cap. It’s ridiculous and can’t be taken serious. Really, I mean REALLY!?!?

Technical Limitations.

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

Technical Limitations.

maybe, but why is it then possible for 100 Conditionplayers to damage 100 different mobs on the same map, but ony stack 25 bleed on one boss mob?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Why is this needed? Bring ONE Condi player to dungeons, its DPS is rather strong.. (20 Bleeds hitting for 140/stack, 800+ burning). The damage seems low, but its consistent! I always have a condi ele in my party and if shes the only one applying bleeds and burn, the DPS is solid. The setup I described is unbuffed, and doesn’t include the attack damage, like Churning Earth’s 9k, or Fire Grab’s 10k. Not saying its AMAZING, but it’s something to consider.

Now, in general PvE, in giant world bosses like Tequatl, having no cap would allow 600+ Bleeds… and 600+ Vulnerability, think how broken that is. I may be slightly exaggerating, but think about what you’re asking for

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Technical Limitations.

maybe, but why is it then possible for 100 Conditionplayers to damage 100 different mobs on the same map, but ony stack 25 bleed on one boss mob?

Because you don’t need to send detailed data from those 100 mobs to every one of those 100 players. Whereas if you’re attacking the same mob, you’re required to send the same data (which updates in real time, btw) to all participants. Which can be any number from 1 to … map cap.

whyme.3281

Now, in general PvE, in giant world bosses like Tequatl, having no cap would allow 600+ Bleeds… and 600+ Vulnerability, think how broken that is. I may be slightly exaggerating, but think about what you’re asking for

Who is talking about Vulnerability?

Warcry.1596

It’s a stackable Condition… all Conditions should he treated equal yes?

whyme.3281

Technical Limitations.

Because you don’t need to send detailed data from those 100 mobs to every one of those 100 players. Whereas if you’re attacking the same mob, you’re required to send the same data (which updates in real time, btw) to all participants. Which can be any number from 1 to … map cap.

But you need to send the hp of the mobs to everyone near and I think also the bleedings on them etc. (At least when they are selected). And where is the difference in sending enemy X has 25 bleed of enemy X has 600 bleeds? Its just a different number

@Warcry: There are damageconditions, support conditions

Warcry.1596

Understood, but okay. Take Ranger for example:

Opening Strike on Ranger, and pet, thats 10 stacks of vulnerability. Longbow 2 is another 10, Whirling Defense is another 12. (Yes, I use this setup), that is 32 Vulnerability. If I’m able to see 30 stacks of Bleeds on a foe, I’d like to see all of my Vulnerability applied as well!

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Condition damage does not need scaling changes or a ‘buff’—rather, it needs to be fixed. Until condition damage is managed and accounted for by player rather than by stacks on a mob, it will be broken in this game.

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Technical Limitations.

But you need to send the hp of the mobs to everyone near and I think also the bleedings on them etc. (At least when they are selected). And where is the difference in sending enemy X has 25 bleed of enemy X has 600 bleeds? Its just a different number

The problem is that the game can’t send back that the mob has a 25 stack of bleed, it sends back all the information on each of the separate 25 bleeds because each bleed does different damage per tick, ticks at different rates, expires at different times and has different times remaining.

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

The problem is that the game can’t send back that the mob has a 25 stack of bleed, it sends back all the information on each of the separate 25 bleeds because each bleed does different damage per tick, ticks at different rates, expires at different times and has different times remaining.

I though that the client only reported the damage YOUR conditions are causing to the target? So there is no need for the server to inform the client of EVERY condition, is there? It is more then enough enough to send each client updates about the current number of conditions+estimated number to account for lag. Which can be done quite easily.

green plum.7514

I think you are greatly overestimating the task. Just one byte is enough to encode up to 256 stacks. Two bytes – 65536 stacks. A brute-force (the most stupid and simple way to do it) notification for 12 conditions would thus take 24 bytes per player. For 100 players, its 2.4KB of data required for notifications. This can be reduced greatly by using incremental updates + smarter encoding. Surely the server has enough bandwidth to send a few additional KB of data per second.

whyme.3281

Technical Limitations.

It only send back the damage your bleed do, and one player is not able to apply 600 bleeds (only with epidemic, but that needs some limitations). for the rest you only get telled, how many are on your enemie, who applied the last (or first im not sure right now) one, how long this last and how much hp your enemies has left. The only difference would be that a greater number is send 600 instead of maximum 25.

The rest is the same data that would be send to 100 players attacking 100 different enemies.

Posted by: Mercypsy.9602

Mercypsy.9602

Why is this needed? Bring ONE Condi player to dungeons, its DPS is rather strong.. (20 Bleeds hitting for 140/stack, 800+ burning). The damage seems low, but its consistent! I always have a condi ele in my party and if shes the only one applying bleeds and burn, the DPS is solid. The setup I described is unbuffed, and doesn’t include the attack damage, like Churning Earth’s 9k, or Fire Grab’s 10k. Not saying its AMAZING, but it’s something to consider.

I think your post shows exactly why this is needed.

As you indicate, one condition build in a dungeon is okayish. Adding a second is almost useless, especially if they both stack bleeds. This means that anyone who wants to make a build based on this main form of damage is severly limited in what parties they can join. This does nothing for build diversity, and is obviously unfair to a number of players who enjoy these builds.

And I don’t understand why you think that including non-amazing condition damage on a PvE boss is somehow “broken”, yet the same players doing direct damage would be okay. If you’re suggesting that the boss would go down too fast if condition damage was counted, then I would suggest the boss needs to be re-balanced. Almost completely removing the damage done by certain build types is not a fair way to balance these encounters.

Xyonon.3987

There is no need for a cap of conditions who deal damage. Vournability shouldn’t go after 25 stacks, this makes sense to not overpower the whole damage. But it makes no sense to punish bleeding skills.
If I hit with a skill for 5k damage, a bleeding skill that does the same amount over 10 sec shouldn’t be punished if he does it with 10 allies at the same time!

Also everyone deals conditions – especially bleeding – and for those who don’t know how this works: the newest condition allways removes the oldest one. Even if the oldest one was from a condition builder.

If you say “what!? No Tequatl could have 600 stacks bleeding, thats ridiculous op!!” … why? Does it matter if I deal instant 5k damage with a normal attack or if a necro casts a spell that deals 5k damage over 10 second? It’s even worse if you ask me, so why punish someones damage? It’s like to say “no, this enemy get hit by hundres blades right now – your hundred blades will no deal no damage, sry bro” … It’s just stupid and bad designed. And it need a fix.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

It’s a technical limitation. The most you could hope for is for each class to get their own unique form of the various conditions in PvE only. May not be ideal, but you’ll never get more than 25 stacks. It’s the same reason AE cap will never be raised. It’s the same reason pets will forever be useless.

Posted by: BaronVillin.5936

BaronVillin.5936

One suggestion I read was having conditions do something after the cap. Like reaching the chilled cap would freeze an enemy. Cripple cap would immobilize. Bleed cap would do a big burst of damage? Then reset.

I know this isn’t THE answer and I can already see the problems with what I just threw down, but it seems like it could be a place to start. (For instance, in zergs people would just melt even faster…)

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Technical Limitations.

Honestly, that is no excuse. Why add the design for condition damage in the manner that they did, if the severs your going to use cannot handle it? Secondly, once you learned they were not capable of handling the tracking of conditions to proper levels, why would’t you redesign how condition damage works, in order to prevent punishing multiple condition users working together?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Xyonon.3987

It’s a technical limitation. The most you could hope for is for each class to get their own unique form of the various conditions in PvE only. May not be ideal, but you’ll never get more than 25 stacks. It’s the same reason AE cap will never be raised. It’s the same reason pets will forever be useless.

Technical limitation? Really? You have no idea about programming, do you? That’s not even a tiny little problem. Programmers literally are gods :P

Posted by: BaronVillin.5936

BaronVillin.5936

Technical Limitations.

Honestly, that is no excuse. Why add the design for condition damage in the manner that they did, if the severs your going to use cannot handle it? Secondly, once you learned they were not capable of handling the tracking of conditions to proper levels, why would’t you redesign how condition damage works, in order to prevent punishing multiple condition users working together?

I agree totally. I don’t think “technical limitations” is really an excuse when you’re effectively gimping a whole playstyle. Something’s gotta give.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Technical limitation? Really? You have no idea about programming, do you? That’s not even a tiny little problem. Programmers literally are gods :P

I probably have a better grasp of computer programming than you do. But this is a server side latency issue, not a client side display issue. It can’t be resolved. They’ve said as much.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I think you are greatly overestimating the task. Just one byte is enough to encode up to 256 stacks. Two bytes – 65536 stacks. A brute-force (the most stupid and simple way to do it) notification for 12 conditions would thus take 24 bytes per player. For 100 players, its 2.4KB of data required for notifications. This can be reduced greatly by using incremental updates + smarter encoding. Surely the server has enough bandwidth to send a few additional KB of data per second.

That is if the only information the game has to send is how many stacks of a specific condition the mob has. Thing is, if each stack is applied by a different player with different condition damage then you also have to add how much damage each stack is doing, which changes every tick because of conditions finishing and being replaced. Add to that as well if one player had condition duration buffed, the other one doesn’t, the third one has twice as much condition duration and so on.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

whyme.3281

Who needs to know how long Condition X of player Y lasts and how much damage that condition does?

No one, the only thing that is important, how much stacks are on the enemy how much hp the enemy has and how long the conditions last on that enemy.

No client is interested in how much damage other players do, the important thing is the health the enemy has.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

The only possible fix I can see (and this is for PVE since on PVP conditions are strong enough):

If target max stack of condition was reached
then apply (X, could be 3/4 or something similar) damage as direct damage.

This will let condition players to keep damaging the boss even when max stacks were applied. Not applying full damage is because I assume condition damage is stronger because it is spread over time and to avoid players speculating on whether apply their conditions now or later when the boss is full on stacks.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I probably have a better grasp of computer programming than you do. But this is a server side latency issue, not a client side display issue. It can’t be resolved. They’ve said as much.

I don’t think they’ve said it can’t be resolved but if they have then they are wrong. With 20+ years of experience in the software industry I can pretty much guarantee that it is solvable, with time, effort and some creativity.

They have said that the problem is due to technical limitations, that just means that it won’t work now because of how the technology works now it says nothing of the nature of those limitations.

At the moment they’re unwilling or unable to commit time or effort to investigate the issue and redesign the way the system works in order to get around these technical limitations.

whyme.3281

The only possible fix I can see (and this is for PVE since on PVP conditions are strong enough):

This will let condition players to keep damaging the boss even when max stacks were applied. Not applying full damage is because I assume condition damage is stronger because it is spread over time and to avoid players speculating on whether apply their conditions now or later when the boss is full on stacks.

This is no sollution.
People are playing condition builds to do their damage over time and allways the same amount of damage to every enemy.

With your suggestion, every condition build would be played like a direct damage build.

green plum.7514

That is if the only information the game has to send is how many stacks of a specific condition the mob has. Thing is, if each stack is applied by a different player with different condition damage then you also have to add how much damage each stack is doing, which changes every tick because of conditions finishing and being replaced. Add to that as well if one player had condition duration buffed, the other one doesn’t, the third one has twice as much condition duration and so on.

No, your client does not need to know all that. It is not reflected in the logs and not shown in the UI.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

This is no sollution.
People are playing condition builds to do their damage over time and allways the same amount of damage to every enemy.

With your suggestion, every condition build would be played like a direct damage build.

What difference does it actually make? If the game calculates that you would have done 10 ticks of 20 damage to a boss but instead does 200 damage all at once because his bleed stacks are full then how does it affect you or your play style? You’re still applying applying conditions the same way as before so why would it be bad? Because the damage is all reported at the beginning? If that’s it then the conditions damage could still be reported by the client the same as before. A bit of smoke and mirrors perhaps but a lot better than just dropping the extra stacks.

green plum.7514

Assuming that each client receives updates every second, additional 64 bytes per notification would result in 312KB for 5000 players. Are you seriously telling me that the game server connection is that constrained that it can’t manage additional 300KB upstream per second?

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

This is no sollution.

hmmm not really Mr Strawmen, it only patches situations where the target already has enough conditions and its a solution “lag” free for the servers since it only makes a quick check previous all other checks. It would actually be more efficient than what we have today since once the check is done it eliminates the problem by applying the damage as direct instead of creating a queue for more conditions to be applied.

Besides conditions builds are not entirely based on players that likes floating numbers but also because the concept behind, burning enemies or bleeding them to death sounds appealing but when your target its already cut and burnt… well just finish him.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.