dmg meters

dmg meters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

You don’t give the toxic elements tools to be even more toxic with.

You want to test builds? Grab pen and paper and do the math manually.

Sorry but i don’t live in the 90’s anymore.When there are better options available it’s a common sense to use them

Oh you mean you are lazy, got it.

dmg meters

Posted by: Downfall.2671

Downfall.2671

I want it so rangers know how garbage they are in dungeons and we can stop the arguement about why we don’t like them in dungeons.

Exactly this is the reason why i’m absolutely against dmg meters. People will start to believe that damage is the only thing that matters in this game and we will have even more of those 1337 zerkers that watch the fight while laying in the dust.
I’ve played many MMORPGs and things like these had an absolutely terrible influence on them

the idea is that meters would show all sorts of info, so when someone says “hey noob why you no dps” you could say, “well look at all the effective healing i was doing.”

that is a non-issue though, because all of your problems could be solved by grouping with people that arent jerks—- join a guild, stop trying to hop in the “lfm zerkers only” groups, or do what i do and join the “all classes welcome” groups.

So, they also take into account mobility, group buffs (general uptime and when needed), damage received (burst+absolute) and differentiate between burst healing/damage and over time? Didn’t know that.
Did you play Warhammer Online if i may ask? At the end of each sPVP match, the “value” of each player was shown by the amount of damage dealt/taken and healing done. This led to a situation where people thought that the healer with the highest healing value has been the best healer in that match and everyone tried to build their toons exactly like them. Most healers were absolute crap because of this

dmg meters

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Doesn’t the combat log show your damage? I don’t really know, as such things are of little interest to me, but I see how much damage I do to mobs, and I know the combat log keeps a record of what damage I do, and what damage I take.

Condition damage is not shown. Retal damage is not shown. Damage on lot of bosses is not shown (likely because they are treated by game as objects, not mobs).
Though they said they are going to improve combat logs, so perhaps at least some of those things will be added. If they added a precise timer in the logs on top of that, and a longer log buffer, you’d have something very close to dps meter then.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

dmg meters

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

will a dps meter really divide the community more than it already is? Look at the battles between the keyboard warriors in the dungeon forums. I think it will make it more convenient for min/maxers and such. Speedclearers are about as intolerant as they can get to non-speedclearers already.

Oceanic [LOD]

dmg meters

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yes to a personal meter. The combat log is utterly useless.

I really hate to inform you all, but unfortunately there are objective metrics to performance. Whether or not you accept these metrics to be indicative of character ability is another story, but people are theorycrafting “optimal” builds regardless and personally I want to see if the build I’m trying out is more effective than the one I was doing last. Stats are always subjective to interpretation, but to form an analysis of any value, you need actual numbers.

Having the game hide this kind information just because people may get their feelings hurt is silly. Do people not realize many things are situational; and if whatever you’re using is “bad”, then it’s bad? So what if it suggests your build is trash? It probably is. So what? I’m a pretty terrible player, so I don’t hang out with elitists. Cool story really; I do play the way I want, but I don’t want to make any excuses either.

And it does help if we can prove that a build a friend is running is suboptimal to run something else. Better than failing 20-30 times I say.

Also, the next time you bring your non-fotm build/class in and you can prove it can just do just as well as their “favored” builds. Well, wouldn’t that be swell?

As for people being jerks, people always be jerks, and you shouldn’t play with them. The whole thing comes down to the zerker debate. There’s jerks on both ends. I compare rude speedrunners that forum warrior to people who drive fast, constantly tailgate while swapping lanes and think they own the highway, honking at people who get in their way. And then there’s the zerker haters who want to “drive the way they want” but think that going 40 mph in the fast lane and blocking it is perfectly acceptable. (aka the person that feels entitled to join speedruns without gearing for one)

Slower traffic keep to the right. That’s all I’ll say.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

dmg meters

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

This is actually the best time to be discussing this, because apparently the combat log is going to be updated to display more info. (Pets maybe?) So if that is added then you could easily get Mesmer dps using a copy cat version of recount on wow.

But yeah, if allowed, half the class forums would probably be in an uproar.

dmg meters

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Looking for more, VOA. 5k GearScore, link achievement! No more hunters

Of all of you, only this guy put it in simple. A direct WoW quote to show the rotten dmg meter discrimination.

In my WoW time:
“LFM BWL, after hall 3 low dps kicked”

GW2 in future:
“LFM ping gear, pre boss fights lowest dmg kicked from group”

Bad already with:
“LFM 48 55ar guards only!!!!!11111”

Scr3w damage meters.

Exactly. Absolutely, under no circumstances would I support damage meters or anything else that fuels the elitism, min\maxing, and speed farming mentality.

dmg meters

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

GW2 in future:
“LFM ping Ascended gear

Fixed with what people will soon be seeing.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

dmg meters

Wukunlin.8461

Of all of you, only this guy put it in simple. A direct WoW quote to show the rotten dmg meter discrimination.

In my WoW time:

GW2 in future:

Bad already with:

Scr3w damage meters.

Exactly. Absolutely, under no circumstances would I support damage meters or anything else that fuels the elitism, min\maxing, and speed farming mentality.

people can already ask you to ping gear and kick if you are not full berserker, but how many times has that happened? I know I personally have never been asked.
Besides, idiots can find any bs reason to kick you, they don’t need no damage meter.

Oceanic [LOD]

dmg meters

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

In my WoW time:

GW2 in future:

Bad already with:

Scr3w damage meters.

people can already ask you to ping gear and kick if you are not full berserker, but how many times has that happened? I know I personally have never been asked.
Besides, idiots can find any bs reason to kick you, they don’t need no damage meter.

Wukunlin,I agree with you.Before introdicing the gold rewards in dungeons and i was doing a CoF speed run people always asked for gear ping.Other than that place noone asked me to link gear.And after the gold change even in CoF people stopped asking for gear.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

dmg meters

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

No.

Everyone will be all "Do this much DPS or you’re not coming." Not everyone is a DPS build.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

dmg meters

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

If you boost the damage output of the group do you get all the extra damage counted on your damage meter? If you prevent damage that would kill team members do you get the damage that they deal during this time? If you put down a combo field do you get all the extra damage counted as your own? If you trigger a combo field? Kind of pointless meter if it does not take these things into account.

dmg meters

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Attack dmg, combat log, timing things and calculations is really the only way of determining it it seems

Certified Gameaholic

dmg meters

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

We already have achievement checks, we don’t need to make it worse.

dmg meters

Wukunlin.8461

I don’t see how it can get any worse

Oceanic [LOD]

dmg meters

Posted by: Zayeban.2806

Zayeban.2806

A damage meter will just show how unbalanced classes are.

Its better to keep the ilusion.

True. If even one meter of any sort would exist, then there would be a bunch of cry babies crying how their dps is lower then others. It would divide the community. That is why Anet will never give us a meter by themselves.

WRF are you talking about?I specifically stated in my OP persona dmg meter.Something that can’t be seen by others

I does not matter if it’s for personal use only.

Within a few months people will have determined the best builds and professions and then it will be put on a website. And once that website goes live it will become common knowledge.
And once it is common knowledge that x profession isn’t up to par with the others it is bye bye to invites of any activity that requires a certain amount of damage.

True.

I does not matter if it’s for personal use only.

Within a few months people will have determined the best builds and professions and then it will be put on a website. And once that website goes live it will become common knowledge.
And once it is common knowledge that x profession isn’t up to par with the others it is bye bye to invites of any activity that requires a certain amount of damage.

Hello October 2012

This is already in game, been there for a year. Gear ping requirements, zerker warriors only, on and on. Elitist jerks don’t wait to be created, they are born.

Also the sad Truth.

This isnt an MMO.

No, it’s a chicken :P

Sorry but i don’t live in the 90’s anymore.When there are better options available it’s a common sense to use them

We do live in an information age don’t we? Where information is king, and not in the stone age where we hit thing with rocks to see what works better. In other words praise meters, F dummies.

I want it so rangers know how garbage they are in dungeons and we can stop the arguement about why we don’t like them in dungeons.

Yup.

the idea is that meters would show all sorts of info, so when someone says “hey noob why you no dps” you could say, “well look at all the effective healing i was doing.”

That is also true. Here’s an example from my wow experience with their dmg meter called Recount (the best dps meter wow has to this date). It shows all sorts of stuff, how much healing someone did, how much he interrupted the boss, it also shows how much damage you did to individual targets during a fight, not just the total overall dmg. It’s funny, because there was one time where had a hunter (ranger) kicked out of our raid, because his job was to kill adds during the boss fights and in the end Recount showed that he barely touched the adds. It’s such a marvelous tool. I also call it the noob meter.

(edited by Zayeban.2806)

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

If you boost the damage output of the group do you get all the extra damage counted on your damage meter? If you prevent damage that would kill team members do you get the damage that they deal during this time? If you put down a combo field do you get all the extra damage counted as your own? If you trigger a combo field? Kind of pointless meter if it does not take these things into account.

On the 1st page i linked everything that does a dmg meter.Read first if you have again quetions then ask.

dmg meters

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

True. If even one meter of any sort would exist, then there would be a bunch of cry babies crying how their dps is lower then others with the same gear as they have.

Why is showing imbalance a bad thing?

dmg meters

Posted by: Bratpirat.6137

Bratpirat.6137

Well we already have metabuilds and if you want a speedrun you are going to look for other zerkers, so a dmgmeter wouldnt change anything. You would get a tool to see your dmg in different fights and the “i play how i want” guys would realise how much they get carried.

dmg meters

Zayeban.2806

True. If even one meter of any sort would exist, then there would be a bunch of cry babies crying how their dps is lower then others with the same gear as they have.

Why is showing imbalance a bad thing?

Showing imbalance hurts the community. Community (crybabies) stops playing. Player base numbers falls, with it the sell of gems. Anet gets less money. You see the big picture here. Meters have nothing to do with players but with economics.

dmg meters

haviz.1340

Showing imbalance hurts the community. Community (crybabies) stops playing. Player base numbers falls, with it the sell of gems. Anet gets less money. You see the big picture here. Meters have nothing to do with players but with economics.

But it shows the problem. I’d rather have it fixed than ignored.

dmg meters

Zayeban.2806

I do also. But that implies revamping almost every class to do the same Dps in melee as any other class does in melee and the same dps at range as any other class does at range. In other words Anet needs to throw all weapon skill into the dump and start from scratch. That or rebalancing the numbers would also work.
When we will start to see players doing the same amount of dps (not burst) in melee as any other class in melee, then it wouldn’t matter who you pick since all would do the same damage in melee. Same applies for range.

(edited by Zayeban.2806)

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

I do also. But that implies revamping almost every class to do the same Dps in melee as any other class does in melee and the same dps at range as any other class does at range. In other words Anet needs to throw all weapon skill into the dump and start from scratch. That or rebalancing the numbers would also work. When we will start to see players doing the same amount of dps (not burst) in melee as any other class in melee, then it wouldn’t matter who you pick since all would do the same damage in melee. Same applies for range.

Such thing would never happen.
MMOs were always very unbalanced class wise.
In other MMOs some classes were always OP from the start and stayed that way and were never nurfed.

dmg meters

Zayeban.2806

I do also. But that implies revamping almost every class to do the same Dps in melee as any other class does in melee and the same dps at range as any other class does at range. In other words Anet needs to throw all weapon skill into the dump and start from scratch. That or rebalancing the numbers would also work. When we will start to see players doing the same amount of dps (not burst) in melee as any other class in melee, then it wouldn’t matter who you pick since all would do the same damage in melee. Same applies for range.

In other MMOs some classes were always OP from the start and stayed that way and were never nurfed.

Not true. WoW has the dps fairly equalized in raids or dungeons between all damage dealing classes. It’s like +-5% off around all classes, and not like +-20/30% as is Gw2. I should know, i’ve been playing it for quite a long time and i am using a dmg meter all the time.

(edited by Zayeban.2806)

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

Not true. WoW has the dps fairly equalized in raids or dungeons between all damage dealing classes. It’s like +-5% off around all classes, and not like +-20/30% as is Gw2. I should know, i’ve been playing it for quite a long time and i am using a dmg meter all the time.

Yea right say that to their Mage.It is one of the classes that is every expansion if not The Top dps then the 2nd one.
But mostly it’s always the highest dps in raids.

dmg meters

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I would love to see a DPS meter implemented, even if it was only a personal one. I don’t really care what the others in my group are doing, I care more about how well I’m doing.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

dmg meters

Zayeban.2806

Yea right say that to their Mage.It is one of the classes that is every expansion if not The Top dps then the 2nd one.
But mostly it’s always the highest dps in raids.

As you said he is one of the highest dps in WoW, but others are not far behind. As for Gw2, warrior is the top dps and others are far behind. That is the point i was trying to make. Anet should rase other classes or nerf warrior to the ground to fairly equalize the dmg. My main is a warrior btw.

dmg meters

The Mexican Cookie.3690

As you said he is one of the highest dps in WoW, but others are not far behind. As for Gw2, warrior is the top dps and others are far behind. That is the point i was trying to make. Anet should rase other classes or nerf warrior to the ground to fairly equalize the dmg. My main is a warrior btw.

Your point is incorrect, because warriors are not the top DPS, and the ones above and below it are not that far off.

I love it when clueless people try to educate.

dmg meters

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

ArenaNet needs to fix the combat log. Every time I actually want to know something, it’s useless because whatever just happened wasn’t logged. Then they can simply allow the combat log to be written to a file. No need to implement any in-game options. The log can then be parsed to make a DPS meter.

dmg meters

Zayeban.2806

Your point is incorrect, because warriors are not the top DPS, and the ones above and below it are not that far off.

O rly? Care to put that on a test? Lets say Veteran giant in orr? You and me?

dmg meters

haviz.1340

ArenaNet needs to fix the combat log. Every time I actually want to know something, it’s useless because whatever just happened wasn’t logged. Then they can simply allow the combat log to be written to a file. No need to implement any in-game options. The log can then be parsed to make a DPS meter.

How are you going to calculate the effects of conditions?

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

In my opinion warrios are the top dog in PvE from dps point of view.They are followed very closely by eles and thieves.
Everything else is mhm…But why everything has to be a dps?
For instance guards are great as healers,reflecters and stability givers.
Necros are good for their survivability with the 2hp bars.Especially in FotM from 50 to 52
Mesmers make a good combo with thieves(stealth&ports) and have on top of that TW.
I can’t say anything good only for rangers and engineers..

dmg meters

haviz.1340

O rly? Care to put that on a test? Lets say Veteran giant in orr?

And that’s why you were called clueless.

dmg meters

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

a) The game’s not supposed to be all about dps. At least include a heal and perfect dodges meter too.
b) You can get the numbers but can you interpet them well? Sure, a 100b warrior does more dps than a longbow ranger at 0 range. Does that mean the ranger is less useful?
c) It’s not important because there are no boss timers to beat.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

dmg meters

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Can I get a meter that tells me how many times I use a skill other than 1? I’ll even settle for just a point tally per encounter average.

Autoattack is the highest damage, you know.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

dmg meters

Nova.8021

I love when people argue with no evidence on the table. It makes these threads longer.

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

ThiBash,

Your C is a bit flowed.It is important.Because in other MMOs i can go to the test dummy and practice a specific build and see the results.
In GW2 i can’t do such thing.I can’t say Build A is better from Build B with Z ammount of dmg.I can’t say it because i don’t know what is the dmg to begin with.
The current combat log is awful.

dmg meters

The Mexican Cookie.3690

In my opinion warrios are the top dog in PvE from dps point of view.They are followed very closely by eles and thieves.
Necros are good for their survivability with the 2hp bars.Especially in FotM from 50 to 52
Mesmers make a good combo with thieves(stealth&ports) and have on top of that TW.

Again, another clueless person. Warriors are far from top dog from a DPS perspective. The ‘package deal’ a warrior contributes to a team is what makes them so popular.

As for the mongs who think they know what they’re talking about, here is a reference post:

Remember when I told everyone to get over HB’s one big number, and everyone told me to stop making straw man arguments?

Well, the straw man is right here and he’s posting right now.

I finally got around to modeling thief, which gives me a full DPS tier list, and it looks like this:

Max buffed, from best to worst:

Mesmer (Sw/Sw with 3 phantasms) = ~15k
Thief (D/D backstab) = ~13.5k
Elementalist (fire staff or LH) = ~13k
Guardian (GS+Sword) = ~11k
Necromancer (D/F+WH with all minions) = ~11k
Warrior (Axe+GS) = ~10k
Ranger (Sword and Feline pet) = ~9.5k
Engineer (Grenades) = ~9k

Off the top of my head, anyway. As you can see, ,the difference between the top three and the rest is fairly severe (Ele sits at 13k, while Guardian and Necro are around 11k) but the rest are pretty close together. You can also tell that the top three have “special conditions” on achieving max DPS, as does Necromancer, so Guardian is actually the highest unconditional DPS you will get.

These calculations are under the assumption that all positive conditionals are met; which aren’t always realistic in practice (an example would be a Mesmer maintaining 3 phantasms on all fights). See how low the meta warrior is on that list? Warriors aren’t popular because of their ‘godly DPS’, the entire skill set and base stats they have result in a very powerful package.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

dmg meters

Zayeban.2806

I love when people argue with no evidence on the table. It makes these threads longer.

What evidence do u need? Take the old CoF farm runs with the standard 4 warrior and 1 mesmer setup for example. Do you think the bosses were melting down cuz of the warriors share awesomeness or what? I would like to see that’s*** done with a 1 mesmer and 4 engis or 4 eles or 4 rangers or any 4 other same classes. Link a video proving me wrong then we’ll talk about me being wrong.

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

Again, another clueless person. Warriors are far from top dog from a DPS perspective. The ‘package deal’ a warrior contributes to a team is what makes them so popular.

As for the mongs who think they know what they’re talking about, here is a reference post:

Remember when I told everyone to get over HB’s one big number, and everyone told me to stop making straw man arguments?

Well, the straw man is right here and he’s posting right now.

I finally got around to modeling thief, which gives me a full DPS tier list, and it looks like this:

Max buffed, from best to worst:

Mesmer (Sw/Sw with 3 phantasms) = ~15k
Thief (D/D backstab) = ~13.5k
Elementalist (fire staff or LH) = ~13k
Guardian (GS+Sword) = ~11k
Necromancer (D/F+WH with all minions) = ~11k
Warrior (Axe+GS) = ~10k
Ranger (Sword and Feline pet) = ~9.5k
Engineer (Grenades) = ~9k

Off the top of my head, anyway. As you can see, ,the difference between the top three and the rest is fairly severe (Ele sits at 13k, while Guardian and Necro are around 11k) but the rest are pretty close together. You can also tell that the top three have “special conditions” on achieving max DPS, as does Necromancer, so Guardian is actually the highest unconditional DPS you will get.

These calculations are under the assumption that all positive conditionals are met; which aren’t always realistic in practice (an example would be a Mesmer maintaining 3 phantasms on all fights). See how low the meta warrior is on that list? Warriors aren’t popular because of their ‘godly DPS’, the entire skill set and base stats they have result in a very powerful package.

Now that are good numbers.But unlike Guanglai Kangyi i’m not good in theorycrafting.That is why i need a dmg meter so i can get to the same results but without all the Math that Guanglai Kangyi did to receive those numbers.

dmg meters

The Mexican Cookie.3690

What evidence do u need? Take the old CoF farm runs with the standard 4 warrior and 1 mesmer setup for example. Do you think the bosses were melting down cuz of the warriors share awesomeness or what? I would like to see that’s*** done with a 1 mesmer and 4 engis or 4 eles or 4 rangers or any 4 other same classes. Link a video proving me wrong then we’ll talk about me being wrong.

Watch and learn peasant. The people with clue didn’t stack warriors like the PUG’s did.

dmg meters

Zayeban.2806

Watch and learn peasant. The people with clue didn’t stack warriors like the PUG’s did.

I said 4 of the same class. Having 1 warrior giving them free discipline banner doesn’t count.

dmg meters

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I said 4 of the same class. Having 1 warrior giving them free discipline banner doesn’t count.

I will reiterate it, since you’re a peasant and don’t understand the point. Warriors are not taken for their DPS alone. Their supply of banners, fury, might, vuln and the inherit mobility and base defensive stats of the class is what makes them appealing.

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

The Mexican Cookie,

Now that is nice video ’mon.Those two thieves really impressed me.

dmg meters

Nova.8021

Actually, I’ll let this play out. Lol

dmg meters

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

moiraine.2753

Your C is a bit flowed.It is important.Because in other MMOs i can go to the test dummy and practice a specific build and see the results.
In GW2 i can’t do such thing.I can’t say Build A is better from Build B with Z ammount of dmg.I can’t say it because i don’t know what is the dmg to begin with.
The current combat log is awful.

My C was about there being no boss timers to beat. A boss timer makes the group wipe if they didn’t get it down in time. Mechanics like those are rare in Guild Wars 2.

As for the dps meter, ever considered going to the Mists and compare how long it takes for different builds to take down a target dummy? Because that’s essentially what a dps meter does. All you need is a watch.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

dmg meters

Posted by: Kita.2063

Kita.2063

I’d love to see DPS-meter in game to know my damage or heals contribution in party.

dmg meters

Posted by: Rammie.2843

Rammie.2843

if you can’t feel the difference, then perhaps the difference is just irrelevant. No need for meters. Become a good player and you will develop a feel for it.

dmg meters

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

A damage/dps meter would be absolutely worthless in this game due to all the nuances of the combat system. For example, if an elementalist drops a fire field between you and the enemy they won’t be doing any damage. However if you fire through it and add fire damage to your attack that’s added damage caused by two different people interacting well together. Who gets credit for what then? Or what about damage caused by enemy actions, such as firing into a feedback bubble, moving with torment, or attacking with confusion? How about keeping track of healing done because of a stomp in a water field? How about a situation where, on my mesmer, I transfer conditions from myself to an enemy and steal their boons?

A damage/dps meter only is capable of showing directly applied damage to a target, and it at best can only show what you do in an ideal situation where the target stands there and lets you hit it. It’s absolutely worthless at showing what happens in an actual combat situation, especially when you consider utility skills and the effects they have. You’ll have people that look great pounding on a dummy that are relatively worthless in a fight because, well, all they can do well is pound on a dummy.

Unlike Pandora’s Box, this one is best left shut for once opened and all the bad is let out there’s no hope remaining.

#TeamJadeQuarry

dmg meters

moiraine.2753

Combo field will work the same way if some buff is cast only on one character.So the one who has the buff or the combo field his dmg will be increased.
Combo field is not a new concept.It is in old MMOs presented too just not as combo field but as a buff cast on single target.
I don’t understand what is confusing here.It’s quite simple.