does GW2 have a future?

does GW2 have a future?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

A rather cloudy future if they continue with this shallow casual content. If they continue at this pace, we will have 4 maps and 1 more dungeon in 4 years altogether. It’s a joke. There is no single quality-MMO with that little content.

Game is made for this People – for the Casuals
this are the people who waste most money on useless things in gemstore

when you dont wanna play content you can do brainafk while watching tv on second screen you should move on to other games – all so called new content is like this and they will not change this cause it has to be this easy so even the Joe playing with fist on keyboard can complete it in his 25 minutes playtime he has per week – game is made so even the worse casual clicker can feel like a super hero – look at wvw in this game^^

and best is this people dont even wanna be better they like to be bad – just check this forum – ask for only a bit harder content and they all jump on you like insects – so lol

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

You don’t see how it’s false.

Watch this example.

Last year, I had a contagious disease. This year I was cured. You tell people not to go near me because I have a contagious disease. Your use of words indicated that Anet continues to put temporary content into the game, which is at the very least misleading. Misleading is misinformation, because since the start of Season 2, nothing that’s been added has been taken out.

You didn’t say Anet said they weren’t going to do the temporary content thing anymore and so far they haven’t. I’m not sure how that isn’t misleading.

So by saying “much content is temporary” (which is true, except on an extremely uncharitable reading of the tense), and not saying ANet aren’t aren’t going to do temporary content anymore (which is false, given festivals, SAB, arguably activities, and the fact that they haven’t to my knowledge said that will never do temporary content any more), I’m giving misinformation?

Yes, LS2 is “permanent” (given it goes into the gem store after two weeks and has next to know intrinsic replay value, I’d call that label generous). But that doesn’t somehow render everything else not temporary. It certainly isn’t equivalent to curing a disease.

Before you attack me for it, I know that Halloween etc. have a good reason for being temporary, which is why I said that was justifiable in my original post.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

Depends what you call “future”.

Will it exist tomorrow? Most likely, yes.

Will it exist in 50 years? Highly likely, no.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You don’t see how it’s false.

Watch this example.

Last year, I had a contagious disease. This year I was cured. You tell people not to go near me because I have a contagious disease. Your use of words indicated that Anet continues to put temporary content into the game, which is at the very least misleading. Misleading is misinformation, because since the start of Season 2, nothing that’s been added has been taken out.

You didn’t say Anet said they weren’t going to do the temporary content thing anymore and so far they haven’t. I’m not sure how that isn’t misleading.

So by saying “much content is temporary” (which is true, except on an extremely uncharitable reading of the tense), and not saying ANet aren’t aren’t going to do temporary content anymore (which is false, given festivals, SAB, arguably activities, and the fact that they haven’t to my knowledge said that will never do temporary content any more), I’m giving misinformation?

Yes, LS2 is “permanent” (given it goes into the gem store after two weeks and has next to know intrinsic replay value, I’d call that label generous). But that doesn’t somehow render everything else not temporary. It certainly isn’t equivalent to curing a disease.

Before you attack me for it, I know that Halloween etc. have a good reason for being temporary, which is why I said that was justifiable in my original post.

Festivals are in all games. They’re not temporary content, they’re recurring content. We had Wintersday and Halloween and the Dragon Festival in Guild Wars 1 and in the years I played that game, not one person ever called them temporary content. No one called Rollerbeetle racing temporary content even though it only appeared when the Shing Jea Boardwalk opened a couple of times a year.

A more honest way to put it would be the game used to have temporary content, that is content that was made to be taken out and never come back, and that the company has said they weren’t doing that again and they added the journal and since they said they weren’t doing it, they’ve put no temporary content into the game.

It’s an old complaint. If you said right now that you can’t search for armor by type in the trading post, you’d be wrong, even though for two years after launch you couldn’t. It’s not right to bring up something we were told was fixed, was so far fixed. It’s misleading at best.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well, there’s also the issue of “just because it was added doesn’t mean it won’t be taken out later” floating around too. (See: “Greatest Fear” plotline, a fair selection of juvenile critter accessibility…)

Sure, we have zero guarantees anywhere else this won’t be the case (at least one game I played had something dummied out in a patch). But you have to admit there’s a basis . . . however small and tenuous . . . for being concerned things won’t just go ‘poof’ at any given time.

. . . still holding out for the time when Rata Sum goes up in a ball of arcane chaos.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

CrashTestAuto is right and Vayne wrong. Temporary content is temporary no matter how hard you try to spin the definition of the word “temporary”.

As I mentioned earlier, only festivals will continue to use the gold star UI. They will not be in the story Journal, and they will remain as temporary content that comes in each year for a period of time and then packs up and leaves when the festival has completed.

I bolded the word temporary in the quote.
Thanks for your time, everyone.

does GW2 have a future?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

CrashTestAuto is right and Vayne wrong. Temporary content is temporary no matter how hard you try to spin the definition of the word “temporary”.

As I mentioned earlier, only festivals will continue to use the gold star UI. They will not be in the story Journal, and they will remain as temporary content that comes in each year for a period of time and then packs up and leaves when the festival has completed.

Yeah, but the festivals were always rather temporary even back in GW1. And there were a lot more of them . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I hope we see an expansion at one point…

does GW2 have a future?

Vayne.8563

In that case, he’s wrong. Because he’s emphasizing that this game has temporary content as if no other MMORPG has temporary content. Since every single MMORPG has temporary content, by listing it as he does in this game, he’s implying this game is the only game that has it.

This is an argument you’re not going to win. When people referred to temporary content they were talking about content that was made to be temporary. Every single MMORPG I’ve ever played had stuff removed at one point or another. By that definition all MMORPGs have temporary content and therefore pointing out that this game has it it misdirection.

does GW2 have a future?

Vayne.8563

Yeah, but the festivals were always rather temporary even back in GW1. And there were a lot more of them . . .

What’s being said here is different than what’s being implied. If every MMORPG has festivals, than singling out this one as having temporary content, implying that it’s somehow bad to have, is misdirection period.

If every MMORPG has it, why is it necessary to bring up? It was brought up solely because the poster was attempting to imply it was something negative. Therefore he’s not talking about holiday festivals.

Often, context is everything.

does GW2 have a future?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What’s being said here is different than what’s being implied. If every MMORPG has festivals, than singling out this one as having temporary content, implying that it’s somehow bad to have, is misdirection period.

If every MMORPG has it, why is it necessary to bring up? It was brought up solely because the poster was attempting to imply it was something negative. Therefore he’s not talking about holiday festivals.

Doesn’t matter to me, all content is temporary to me rather than permanent. See, if I get bored enough of a game . . . I stop playing, possibly even deleting it. So that means everything which I had been doing is now no longer there.

By this logic, Final Fantasy 14 was a whole mess of temporary content. Too bad.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

In that case, he’s wrong. Because he’s emphasizing that this game has temporary content as if no other MMORPG has temporary content. Since every single MMORPG has temporary content, by listing it as he does in this game, he’s implying this game is the only game that has it.

This is an argument you’re not going to win. When people referred to temporary content they were talking about content that was made to be temporary. Every single MMORPG I’ve ever played had stuff removed at one point or another. By that definition all MMORPGs have temporary content and therefore pointing out that this game has it it misdirection.

Dunno what you’re on about. He said seasonal content is justifiably temporary but you said it wasn’t.
Anyway, festival content is still considered temporary content. Any intelligent body won’t disagree with that.

Also:
http://dulfy.net/2014/06/06/gw2-story-journal-developer-livestream-notes/
They said there still will be temporary open world content, so long as it makes sense to the current state of the living story.

No need to keep spinning.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

True, but boredom can be a really strong motivator at times….

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I like how people act like the removal of an entire arc of the story was okay. Let’s be honest this game has been taking away content since day one. With everything they have added they have also removed something in kind. Its almost like they have some obsession with “making room” for new content, even though digital content does not work that way with the near-unlimited storage space and fast internet connections of the modern era (although it would’ve been a concern a decade ago).

In fact, these days removing content results in more storage and bandwidth overhead, due to the use of database-like virtual filesystems (that’s what the .dat is) which are optimized for insertion and not neccessarily removal, and the fact that anything that is significantly changed, such as a map, has to be redownloaded.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Festival content (aka seasonal content) is only temporarily temporary, in that it generally comes back in the appropriate season, albeit sometimes with minor alterations. See, however, Ascent to Madness, yon Mad King’s dungeon, which remains on the permanent temporary list at this time.

(Soloed that crazy thing twice: once with necro, once with warrior. My 1337 dungeon soloing skillz ensured it was less an ascent to madness than it was a descent to underwear.)

The table is a fable.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

To everyone misquoting and taking Vayne out of context…

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer… not sure.

Guild Wars 2 is great. It’s worth playing, and very fun. HOWEVER, the update model that has been adopted is highly controversial. Much content is temporary, many fundamental changes to progression have been problematic, and the Living Story + Gem sales business model is receiving mixed reviews at best.

Basically, it was a very, very good base game, the population is still good, and the game is still fun. However, a lot of the decisions that have been made since launch have been, in the opinion of many, poor. Many players have left, or are highly frustrated, and no one really knows where the game is going. If the quality of the game is going to be enough to carry it long term, especially if we see more of the same controversial decisions, I don’t know.

There’s some misinformation in this post. Much of the content WAS (not is) temporary, since the stuff that’s come out for season two is all permanent. We haven’t had temporary content added to the game since, what, March? People are living in the past and stating it as the future. The company tried an experience that didn’t work. They switched directions since.

But the rest of this is mostly true.

Guild Wars 2 is great. It’s worth playing, and very fun. HOWEVER, the update model that has been adopted is highly controversial. Much content is temporary, many fundamental changes to progression have been problematic, and the Living Story + Gem sales business model is receiving mixed reviews at best.

There’s some misinformation in this post. Much of the content WAS (not is) temporary, since the stuff that’s come out for season two is all permanent. We haven’t had temporary content added to the game since, what, March?

And the rest of it is Vayne trying to convey that festivals are in other MMO’s and therefore not counted in the “all things being temporary and bad because of that”. They pop in and out of existence, therefore they are temporarily available, but they are not one-time temporary events, such as the Giant Karka Queen, the Marionette Battles, the Living Story 1 Dungeons (bar the two Fractals released), and more.

Yes, those giant temporary events were bad. Why were they bad? Because players could not experience them. (I, personally, was on hiatus during Battle on Lion’s Arch + Aftermath. The Living Story seems dulled because I’m missing on key points and experiences.)

Festivals (SAB, Halloween, Christmas/Wintersday, etc) are temporary content that returns on an annual basis (in most cases). As such, they are exempt from the “temporary bad events” system.

You don’t go around saying that Brewfest, Darkmoon Faire, Christmas, Halloween, and other festival events made World of Warcraft bad (sorry, I had to bring up a generic MMO and this is one that most people will be able to relate or understand). They came by every so often and they were enjoyable. They were not particularly necessary for the game, nor did they (typically) change the lore of the world, but they were there for comedic/casual relief.

The same can be said of the temporary festivals in GW2. They are not necessary for the game, but they are there for comedic/casual relief. Why are they not necessary? Since one day in Tyria is every 2 hours, that would mean that there are 4,383 days in a Tyrian year if a festival is to return every year (in our time) at roughly the same date. Additionally, the festivals are lasting for roughly a month in our time (Halloween will be 2 weeks, maybe more this year), meaning a festival is around, ingame for 360 days, or a full year.

So while they do, sometimes, progress the story (original Halloween broke Lion’s Arch statue, followed by Lyns repairing it and Consortium things), they are not necessary to progress it.

Big tangents, but I hope people take off the argument goggles and realize that you’re all on the same side.

Let’s all hold hands and kill some dragons, k?

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You are completely ignoring the context of how temporary content was used. Yes, we can all agree seasonal festivals are temporary content. No one can argue that, as the actual seasons are temporary (wouldn’t make much sense to have a Halloween festival in May…). Vayne wasn’t saying the seasonal festivals weren’t temporary content in the sense you are saying, that is obvious to anyone that doesn’t have an axe to grind against the guy.

We are talking content exclusive of seasonal festivals that will obviously always remain temporary based on the seasonality of….seasons… in ANY game.

Context is very important.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

If the game was doing as well as many like to think, what was the point of megaserver and the NPE?

Megaservers: Even back when the game first came out (I’m from early release), there were zones that were dead. It didn’t matter what server you were on, you could wander around, let’s say Field of Ruin, or Timberline and not see a soul, or see merely one or two others. And that was when populations were at their highest. The majority of players hung out in the same starter zones / cities leaving some of the other zones completely abandoned.

With the megaserver, as I understand it, if one person is in a less popular zones on, let’s say, Fort Aspenwood server, and there’s only one person in that same zone on, let’s say, Henge of Denravi server— before they would be the only people in those zones, but now instead of both of those people being alone in that unpopular zone, both players are put into the same instance, so now there are two people in that unpopular zone. You can extend that further for each other server. So instead of 10 people being alone in that random zone on their server, now there are 10 people in the same zone.

The megaservers were less about populations dying and more about areas being ghost-towns and how best to combat the fact that people tended to hang out in the same few areas. Thus the megaserver system was born. I mean, even before megaservers existed you could go to LA and pretty much were guaranteed to go to Overflow because of how many players there were.

Even with megaserver, even the highly-populated zones have ‘ghost towns’. Frostgorge Sound, for example. Lots of people there, but if you’re not running with the pack you might as well be in the zone alone.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

does GW2 have a future?

CrashTestAuto.9108

Context is often everything, but so is jamming words into people’s mouths. I never said, nor implied, that other MMOs didn’t have seasonal festivals. In fact, I’ve explicitly said in two posts now that the seasonal festivals are justifiable. That you’re taking things I haven’t said, and used them to suggest I was implying something I outright said the opposite of, is kind of a problem.

There has been, and is, much temporary content, and the LS2 does not make that not the case. It certainly doesn’t make the problems caused by the year and three quarters prior to the LS2 go away. Four short chapters, and about half a map don’t suddenly render the majority of the content since release non-temporary, even if you choose to define “appearing once a year” as such.

So, if you’d like to address the things I say, rather than criticise me and then tell other people I actually meant something else, that’d be appreciated.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

At this point i do not think ppl even understand what an expansion is and what it means for a game. An expansion is content that puts out at a given time and has ANY content you can even call LS a type of expansion. The talk about LS ways of expansion vs the longer time expansion (say 6 months) is only different in time NOT content.

Your right mmorpgs cant live with out updates and GW2 is getting a lot of them all the time even ones that are not talked about so yes there is a future as things stands from your point of view.

If the living story actually lived up to the hype people wouldn’t be complaining. The living story updates have not given even one expansions worth of content yet and its been two years. If they actually produced the same amount of content as in one Guild Wars expansion in the last two years then maybe people wouldn’t be so harsh even though they would still be behind in what they achieved with the original Guild Wars.

Yes they have released some content but its like a single appetizer. Appetizers can be filling if you get enough of them but if you only get one single chicken wing you are going to be left wanting no matter how good it taste. If you want people to get full off just appetizers you need to give them at least a dozen of those chicken wings not just one. If you keep the appetizers coming you may keep the customer satisfied but you will also have to mix it up so they do not get bored. I do not want to eat chicken wings every time, sometimes I want nachos or spinach dip. These appetizers need to be really good or else people will go somewhere else when their tummies start rumbling.

does GW2 have a future?

CrashTestAuto.9108

You are completely ignoring the context of how temporary content was used. Yes, we can all agree seasonal festivals are temporary content. No one can argue that, as the actual seasons are temporary (wouldn’t make much sense to have a Halloween festival in May…). Vayne wasn’t saying the seasonal festivals weren’t temporary content in the sense you are saying, that is obvious to anyone that doesn’t have an axe to grind against the guy.

We are talking content exclusive of seasonal festivals that will obviously always remain temporary based on the seasonality of….seasons… in ANY game.

Context is very important.

Why would we talk about content exclusive of that? Yes, obviously seasonal content will be temporary, but four of the biggest content updates we’ve had are recurring (Wintersday, Halloween, Dragon Bash, and SAB), and two of those aren’t even annual apparently.

If four of the biggest content updates you have are temporary, even if their temporary nature is justifiable, then that is a problem. The problem isn’t that Wintersday is temporary in and of itself, the problem is that if you piled up all of the content updates we’ve had, almost all of them are currently turned off (or else replaced older content rather than added to it).

does GW2 have a future?

Vayne.8563

Context is often everything, but so is jamming words into people’s mouths. I never said, nor implied, that other MMOs didn’t have seasonal festivals. In fact, I’ve explicitly said in two posts now that the seasonal festivals are justifiable. That you’re taking things I haven’t said, and used them to suggest I was implying something I outright said the opposite of, is kind of a problem.

There has been, and is, much temporary content, and the LS2 does not make that not the case. It certainly doesn’t make the problems caused by the year and three quarters prior to the LS2 go away. Four short chapters, and about half a map don’t suddenly render the majority of the content since release non-temporary, even if you choose to define “appearing once a year” as such.

So, if you’d like to address the things I say, rather than criticise me and then tell other people I actually meant something else, that’d be appreciated.

Dude, you’re killing me. This is exactly what you said:

“Guild Wars 2 is great. It’s worth playing, and very fun. HOWEVER, the update model that has been adopted is highly controversial. Much content is temporary, many fundamental changes to progression have been problematic, and the Living Story + Gem sales business model is receiving mixed reviews at best.”

You put “much of the content is temporary” right after the words “the update model that has been adopted is highly controversial”.

Presumably holiday events aren’t highly controversial. I don’t think anyone here thinks holiday events are high controversial. The controversial bit was the temporary content of the specific type doing during season one which Anet isn’t doing for season 2. They said they weren’t and they haven’t.

Say anything you want, but the context of what you said in the quote above isn’t putting words into your mouth. They’re your words. The temporary content (no longer being done) is controversial, unless you’re going to say right now that the holiday content in controversial.

This is the reason why I said your post had misinformation in it. Holiday content that is “temporary” isn’t controversial and the controversial temporary content is no longer being done.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

. . . still holding out for the time when Rata Sum goes up in a ball of arcane chaos.

There’s nothing wrong with Rata Sum that a whopping amount of “rat” poison couldn’t fix. >.>

does GW2 have a future?

CrashTestAuto.9108

Dude, you’re killing me. This is exactly what you said:

“Guild Wars 2 is great. It’s worth playing, and very fun. HOWEVER, the update model that has been adopted is highly controversial. Much content is temporary, many fundamental changes to progression have been problematic, and the Living Story + Gem sales business model is receiving mixed reviews at best.”

You put “much of the content is temporary” right after the words “the update model that has been adopted is highly controversial”.

Presumably holiday events aren’t highly controversial. I don’t think anyone here thinks holiday events are high controversial. The controversial bit was the temporary content of the specific type doing during season one which Anet isn’t doing for season 2. They said they weren’t and they haven’t.

Say anything you want, but the context of what you said in the quote above isn’t putting words into your mouth. They’re your words. The temporary content (no longer being done) is controversial, unless you’re going to say right now that the holiday content in controversial.

This is the reason why I said your post had misinformation in it. Holiday content that is “temporary” isn’t controversial and the controversial temporary content is no longer being done.

No, the controversial bit isn’t that the content of the specific type in season one was temporary. The problem was that the vast majority of content full stop was temporary. If LS1 had been part of an update cycle that included other permanent updates, or even a paid expansion, then it might well have been embraced for making the world seem alive.

As it stands, the content we’ve had added is almost entirely temporary, and festivals (which I’ve said three times are justifiably temporary) fall under that category. No one is complaining that Wintersday is temporary, they’re claiming that almost nothing isn’t temporary.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

To address what you’re saying, the OP was asking about the future of the game, not the past. To bring up something that the company has more or less admitted was not working (making Living Story temporary) is nothing but digging up the past mistakes and offering it as an excuse to prove a point you believe to be true. Anet has since made the LS2 a permanent content; whether this kind of content is your cup of tea is a personal issue and you shouldn’t bring it up to discuss the game’s future (bring it up if you want to discuss your future with the game). It does not render the past content as non-temporary, but it does offer the possibility of more permanent content moving forward which is more important in the context of this discussion.

As you’ve stated, the previous LS ran for almost 2 years while the new one has only had a couple of months. To compare the two now would be irresponsible. You must also realize what a Living Story implies: that it was made to change the world we play in. This doesn’t mean that each chapter has to be in new locations; in fact it makes more sense for part of the changes to be in locations we already know. Since a lot of players complained about them being temporary, only leaving behind their aftermaths (look at LA and Kessex Hills), Anet made them permanent but to do so had to make most of the major events instanced. The world is still changing though with the aftermaths of the events (look at Concordia and Iron Marches).

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Miriam.2506

Miriam.2506

Yesterday listening to the podcast and this story about only 300 people and for example 3 people developing WvW for their own. Even a good support and forum needed 50 people at least. Developing new things inside the game much more and keeping old things running and bugfixing also a big group. Much more people for server hosting as only one guy. Now they are planing raids and guildhalls ??

What about important things like all the known bugs git fixed, housing and new living story developments ?? Well I only see a future inside game, if the studio really deside at least to double their staff, because it’s already hard enough for the current to do all the work. And future will not getting better if more and more things coming inside the game.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

He who is not busy growing is busy dying…

does GW2 have a future?

CrashTestAuto.9108

To address what you’re saying, the OP was asking about the future of the game, not the past. To bring up something that the company has more or less admitted was not working (making Living Story temporary) is nothing but digging up the past mistakes and offering it as an excuse to prove a point you believe to be true. Anet has since made the LS2 a permanent content; whether this kind of content is your cup of tea is a personal issue and you shouldn’t bring it up to discuss the game’s future (bring it up if you want to discuss your future with the game). It does not render the past content as non-temporary, but it does offer the possibility of more permanent content moving forward which is more important in the context of this discussion.

As you’ve stated, the previous LS ran for almost 2 years while the new one has only had a couple of months. To compare the two now would be irresponsible. You must also realize what a Living Story implies: that it was made to change the world we play in. This doesn’t mean that each chapter has to be in new locations; in fact it makes more sense for part of the changes to be in locations we already know. Since a lot of players complained about them being temporary, only leaving behind their aftermaths (look at LA and Kessex Hills), Anet made them permanent but to do so had to make most of the major events instanced. The world is still changing though with the aftermaths of the events (look at Concordia and Iron Marches).

Which is fine, but we have two options in answering the OP:

1) Speculate about what ANet might do.
2) Give information about the history of the updates thus far.

Yes, it is entirely possible that after Wintersday we’ll be playing as Tengu in February and taking them to Cantha in March. But the only information we have available is the past and present. In the past and present, the vast majority of content has been temporary, with LS2 offering a small amount of content which doesn’t really have replay value over four months. Heck, they haven’t even bothered to turn SAB back on, so we can hardly conclude that they’ve abandoned temporary content.

Again, if LS1 had been released alongside new maps, new classes, paid expanasions etc. then its temporary nature might well have been embraced for making the world feel alive.

does GW2 have a future?

Elsdragon.5109

Which is fine, but we have two options in answering the OP:

1) Speculate about what ANet might do.
2) Give information about the history of the updates thus far.

Yes, it is entirely possible that after Wintersday we’ll be playing as Tengu in February and taking them to Cantha in March. But the only information we have available is the past and present. In the past and present, the vast majority of content has been temporary, with LS2 offering a small amount of content which doesn’t really have replay value over four months. Heck, they haven’t even bothered to turn SAB back on, so we can hardly conclude that they’ve abandoned temporary content.

Again, if LS1 had been released alongside new maps, new classes, paid expanasions etc. then its temporary nature might well have been embraced for making the world feel alive.

See, you’re stumbling back into the same pit as before. LS1 is season 1. It’s done. Over. No longer relevant in determining the future. They’ve stated that they want LS2 to be different, so there is no point in you pointing to LS1 as a point in your argument. Would LS1 have been better with new maps, classes and a paid expansion? That’s arguable, but not the point of this discussion. If that’s what you want to discuss, maybe make a new topic.

Speculating what Anet might do is similar to wistful thinking in that we could either have been luckily correct or horribly wrong. The history of information we should be giving the OP is that LS2 has been different than LS1 and that Anet has stated that they want LS2 to have more permanent content that is available in the Story Journal. LS2 was promised to have permanent content and it has (at least in my opinion) delivered. Is it content that all the players would want to play? Not quite, but then what is?

There has been a shift in direction, however small, and I believe that bringing up information before that shift is really irrelevant to determine the future. That of course doesn’t mean that those events are irrelevant overall. They aren’t there anymore; they are done with; there is nothing we can do anymore. Even with the Story Journal, I can see how adding LS1 events to that would be difficult if not impossible. Instanced versions of LA, Kessex Hills, and other places would require you to still have more than five player attempting those events.

Presently, the current LS has given us permanent content. That is a good sign for the future. Will there still be some temporary content? Recurring ones like festivals and holidays most likely, but temporary content like in LS1 not quite so. At least I would like to believe it to not be so, and given how LS2 is playing out I would say that seems to be the case.

does GW2 have a future?

CrashTestAuto.9108

See, you’re stumbling back into the same pit as before. LS1 is season 1. It’s done. Over. No longer relevant in determining the future. They’ve stated that they want LS2 to be different, so there is no point in you pointing to LS1 as a point in your argument. Would LS1 have been better with new maps, classes and a paid expansion? That’s arguable, but not the point of this discussion. If that’s what you want to discuss, maybe make a new topic.

Speculating what Anet might do is similar to wistful thinking in that we could either have been luckily correct or horribly wrong. The history of information we should be giving the OP is that LS2 has been different than LS1 and that Anet has stated that they want LS2 to have more permanent content that is available in the Story Journal. LS2 was promised to have permanent content and it has (at least in my opinion) delivered. Is it content that all the players would want to play? Not quite, but then what is?

There has been a shift in direction, however small, and I believe that bringing up information before that shift is really irrelevant to determine the future. That of course doesn’t mean that those events are irrelevant overall. They aren’t there anymore; they are done with; there is nothing we can do anymore. Even with the Story Journal, I can see how adding LS1 events to that would be difficult if not impossible. Instanced versions of LA, Kessex Hills, and other places would require you to still have more than five player attempting those events.

Presently, the current LS has given us permanent content. That is a good sign for the future. Will there still be some temporary content? Recurring ones like festivals and holidays most likely, but temporary content like in LS1 not quite so. At least I would like to believe it to not be so, and given how LS2 is playing out I would say that seems to be the case.

We can’t just hit the reset button because of LS2. What happened before that is still relevant to understanding what ANet’s approach to content is, and also relevant to community feeling towards GW2 (which is VERY important to the future of the game).

Moreover, LS2 is not only small, but it is a small part of a bigger picture. SAB is still turned off, we still have no idea of what is coming in the future, and we have no indication that we’ll be getting large permanent content updates beyond the LS. Moreover, ANet have developed a reputation over the last two years for putting superficial band-aids over bigger problems, which LS2 plausibly represents regarding permanent content, and the OP should be given that information.

Yes, LS2 is a step forward. But it isn’t so big a step forward as to justify ignoring everything else that has happened in two years. We can and should give the whole story, but what I said is definitely part of that story.

does GW2 have a future?

Elsdragon.5109

We can’t just hit the reset button because of LS2. What happened before that is still relevant to understanding what ANet’s approach to content is, and also relevant to community feeling towards GW2 (which is VERY important to the future of the game).

Moreover, LS2 is not only small, but it is a small part of a bigger picture. SAB is still turned off, we still have no idea of what is coming in the future, and we have no indication that we’ll be getting large permanent content updates beyond the LS. Moreover, ANet have developed a reputation over the last two years for putting superficial band-aids over bigger problems, which LS2 plausibly represents regarding permanent content, and the OP should be given that information.

Yes, LS2 is a step forward. But it isn’t so big a step forward as to justify ignoring everything else that has happened in two years. We can and should give the whole story, but what I said is definitely part of that story.

It isn’t a reset button, but rather a shift in focus. I never said it was irrelevant to understanding Anet’s approach nor was it irrelevant to how the community feels. I said it was irrelevant to give as an example of what they were doing for the future. You cannot use LS1 as an example to say that all (or a majority of the content) they will ever give are temporary content.

For your second point, LS2 is arguably the largest part of the content releases (at least for the permanent ones). SAB is not really part of the main game; it was a game within a game. Is it sad that it is currently off? Yes, but that doesn’t diminish what GW2 is. Other parts of content updates are the recurring events (festivals and holidays) and they are “temporary” by nature. The way GW2 moves forward (or for most MMO’s in fact) is by their lore and story; that makes the LS the largest part of the picture. As for the “superficial band-aids”, that has little place in this discussion than to take a jab at Anet. There will always be problems within MMO’s; although they may seem easy to fix to players, they may not necessarily be so to the developers. You must understand that and learn to move forward. The LS2 is in my opinion not one of these “superficial band-aids”; it is a shift in direction. If the shift you want is for Anet to release expansions, then that is a personal issue.

It is currently only the beginning of that step forward, how big it is is not to be determined by what is has put out in less than half the time LS1 has had. As I said before, I never said that we should ignore everything else, but we should look to LS2 as a beacon of hope (so to speak) as to what Anet could do.

The full story is that although LS1 was made up of mostly temporary content, LS2 has promised to bring more permanent content and has so far delivered (albeit only a little bit in the little time it has been out). I choose to focus on the more recent events of the story and use that as an indication of what is to come; if your choice is to continue to focus on LS1 and SAB then that is your choice, but we will simply have to agree to disagree as there is little chance either of us will convince the other in that scenario.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

Gw2 has a future in as much as aoc, rift, aio etc but i think there are many problems,
one could be with players who played a lot and got a little burned out, when these players return its more of the same and little new.

Many had very high hopes, i was one of them and at times felt rly frustrated with the game, whether it was a result of the manifesto and how well it was marketed for others i can not say but for me it was, i had such high aspirations, which ultimately ended with grave disappointment.

I wish gw2 had been all that it could have been, a main game i could replace wow with, but now with 13.11.14 close even a gw2 expansion announcement couldn’t restore lost faith in the devs and the game, id suspect not much would change with the way the game was put out, i may play 2-3 hours every other month, but so wish things had been different.

does GW2 have a future?

CrashTestAuto.9108

It isn’t a reset button, but rather a shift in focus. I never said it was irrelevant to understanding Anet’s approach nor was it irrelevant to how the community feels. I said it was irrelevant to give as an example of what they were doing for the future. You cannot use LS1 as an example to say that all (or a majority of the content) they will ever give are temporary content.

For your second point, LS2 is arguably the largest part of the content releases (at least for the permanent ones). SAB is not really part of the main game; it was a game within a game. Is it sad that it is currently off? Yes, but that doesn’t diminish what GW2 is. Other parts of content updates are the recurring events (festivals and holidays) and they are “temporary” by nature. The way GW2 moves forward (or for most MMO’s in fact) is by their lore and story; that makes the LS the largest part of the picture. As for the “superficial band-aids”, that has little place in this discussion than to take a jab at Anet. There will always be problems within MMO’s; although they may seem easy to fix to players, they may not necessarily be so to the developers. You must understand that and learn to move forward. The LS2 is in my opinion not one of these “superficial band-aids”; it is a shift in direction. If the shift you want is for Anet to release expansions, then that is a personal issue.

It is currently only the beginning of that step forward, how big it is is not to be determined by what is has put out in less than half the time LS1 has had. As I said before, I never said that we should ignore everything else, but we should look to LS2 as a beacon of hope (so to speak) as to what Anet could do.

The full story is that although LS1 was made up of mostly temporary content, LS2 has promised to bring more permanent content and has so far delivered (albeit only a little bit in the little time it has been out). I choose to focus on the more recent events of the story and use that as an indication of what is to come; if your choice is to continue to focus on LS1 and SAB then that is your choice, but we will simply have to agree to disagree as there is little chance either of us will convince the other in that scenario.

But I’m not just focussing on LS1 and SAB. I gave those as examples among a list of many issues. I gave a list of basically everything that people have had, and currently have, issues with that I can think of.

You’re asking me to ignore a part of the history of the content updates when giving my opinion of what the future of content updates holds. You also labelled a different criticism of ANet as a “jab”, rather than a criticism, even when I explained why it was relevant to the context.

It seems that you’re actively trying to give ANet as much benefit of the doubt as possible. This is fine until you take it so far as to actually criticise people for pointing out things they’ve done. By all means champion LS2 as a sign of a bright future. I’d love it to be one. But you can’t jump on me for giving facts in order to explain the skepticism that many of us have towards ANet’s direction for the game.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

if Anet keeps on threating western players as asian players they have a hell of a battle to fight, only some things were wrong before the april and september feature pack, now entire core functions are screwed up.
we like content, we like to explore new lands, the one thing GW2 lacks.
however, we hate chores and we hate grind, the one thing GW2 has plenty of.

does GW2 have a future?

Elsdragon.5109

But I’m not just focussing on LS1 and SAB. I gave those as examples among a list of many issues. I gave a list of basically everything that people have had, and currently have, issues with that I can think of.

You’re asking me to ignore a part of the history of the content updates when giving my opinion of what the future of content updates holds. You also labelled a different criticism of ANet as a “jab”, rather than a criticism, even when I explained why it was relevant to the context.

It seems that you’re actively trying to give ANet as much benefit of the doubt as possible. This is fine until you take it so far as to actually criticise people for pointing out things they’ve done. By all means champion LS2 as a sign of a bright future. I’d love it to be one. But you can’t jump on me for giving facts in order to explain the skepticism that many of us have towards ANet’s direction for the game.

If you read my post carefully, you’ll see I said you focus on those, not solely focusing on those. There is a difference. If you want to do like you said in a previous post: to give the full story, then you must give both the good and the bad parts. So far, most people who post simply post about the bad parts, disregarding any good that Anet has done. So much so that I tend to simply give the good parts some attention.

Again, I never said to ignore them, but to give more focus to LS2 rather than LS1 and SAB. Your opinion is your own, and I’ve already stated that if you choose not to shift focus then I will not try to dissuade you any more.

I called your criticism a jab, because it is a criticism that is out of context. In your argument, you start off by explaining how LS2 is in your opinion a small part of a larger picture and jump to how Anet places “superficial band-aids” and how LS2 is supposedly one of those. There is no connection between the two. How does LS2’s role in the bigger picture lead into Anet’s reputation? That is why I called it a jab.

I give Anet the benefit of the doubt because they have shown that they are changing how LS2 runs as compared to LS1, not simply for no reason. I am not criticizing you for pointing things out, but rather on not giving the full story as you so claim to do so. You arguments are better than most posts that simply say the game is dying and give no reason or cause, but I am stating that you’re missing out on some points. Whether you agree with me or not, I will no longer argue. I am simply stating my point of view.

Posts that say they are frustrated because they thought GW2 could be this, that, or something else are entirely unarguable because they do not serve to give any purpose above simply stating the poster’s dissatisfaction. There is no discussion to be had. So I am not singling you out because I want to bash you, but rather because your posts are actually something that can be built upon.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

Short Answer… no.

with that said i will keep my eye on Gw2 and bounce between the forums occiasionally.

but there is sooooooooooooo many other games out there that give you that " IM HAVING FUN" feeling.

for me currently, Gw2 is not one of them.

i think like the majority, there just isnt enough to do on gw2 and i dont have trust in the developers

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

does GW2 have a future?

CrashTestAuto.9108

If you read my post carefully, you’ll see I said you focus on those, not solely focusing on those. There is a difference. If you want to do like you said in a previous post: to give the full story, then you must give both the good and the bad parts. So far, most people who post simply post about the bad parts, disregarding any good that Anet has done. So much so that I tend to simply give the good parts some attention.

Again, I never said to ignore them, but to give more focus to LS2 rather than LS1 and SAB. Your opinion is your own, and I’ve already stated that if you choose not to shift focus then I will not try to dissuade you any more.

I called your criticism a jab, because it is a criticism that is out of context. In your argument, you start off by explaining how LS2 is in your opinion a small part of a larger picture and jump to how Anet places “superficial band-aids” and how LS2 is supposedly one of those. There is no connection between the two. How does LS2’s role in the bigger picture lead into Anet’s reputation? That is why I called it a jab.

I give Anet the benefit of the doubt because they have shown that they are changing how LS2 runs as compared to LS1, not simply for no reason. I am not criticizing you for pointing things out, but rather on not giving the full story as you so claim to do so. You arguments are better than most posts that simply say the game is dying and give no reason or cause, but I am stating that you’re missing out on some points. Whether you agree with me or not, I will no longer argue. I am simply stating my point of view.

Posts that say they are frustrated because they thought GW2 could be this, that, or something else are entirely unarguable because they do not serve to give any purpose above simply stating the poster’s dissatisfaction. There is no discussion to be had. So I am not singling you out because I want to bash you, but rather because your posts are actually something that can be built upon.

You know what. Fair enough.

I disagree with you to an extent on whether my initial presentation was imbalanced, but I don’t disagree with your logic, and your criticism is entirely civil. Your post came after a string of others, some of which entirely misrepresented what I’d said, and I apologise if my reaction to you was influenced by that.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

I’d say, GW2 is doomed. The whole genre is doomed. Look at WoW it’s the biggest MMO out there and it’s losing player! It will die and so will GW2 and every other MMO. It’s already too late. None of those games can earn the money to keep a company going. It’s too late, I’m sure most devs are starving. Also did you look outside? These purple clouds don’t look healthy.
I for once will be ready to accept fate when it comes to this point.

does GW2 have a future?

Vayne.8563

Short Answer… no.

with that said i will keep my eye on Gw2 and bounce between the forums occiasionally.

but there is sooooooooooooo many other games out there that give you that " IM HAVING FUN" feeling.

for me currently, Gw2 is not one of them.

i think like the majority, there just isnt enough to do on gw2 and i dont have trust in the developers

You’ve already said you’ve left Guild Wars 2 to play WoW. That would suggest to me that you can’t possibly really know if the game has a future. It certainly wouldn’t have a future for people who like games like WoW.

But there are a lot of us who don’t like games like WoW…and we have very few places to go.

Ergo this game has a future specifically because you don’t think it has one. You’re simply not the market for the game.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

If Anet don’t start releasing new content soon, there’s going to many people abandoning this sinking ship. It’s shame, GW1 had such a long run and people still play it, whereas GW2 is already dying after 2 years.

Upon logging into GW1 last week I was surprised at the numbers of players. The game has maintained a serious playerbase and is enjoying an influx of older players who left it to play GW2. Guilds are still recruiting, players are still doing Zaishen missions, FoW and UW are still tangible adventures.

As much as I loathe this current regime in Anet who have done nothing substantial with GW2 since launch, content-wise, I appreciate my old characters and their respective inventories are still present in GW1.

(edited by Vix.6730)

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

If you don’t Role play, you have no future here. We’ll be still here ushering GW 2 into a new age of MMO gaming and buying gems! Have a nice day in some other game with a terrible world and no imagination such as this one that has a great world and lore across two games and much more!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

does GW2 have a future?

Vayne.8563

If you don’t Role play, you have no future here. We’ll be still here ushering GW 2 into a new age of MMO gaming and buying gems! Have a nice day in some other game with a terrible world and no imagination such as this one that has a great world and lore across two games and much more!

I take it you’re using the term role-play in a very broad sense. Because a lot of people who like to immerse themselves in character, lore and story aren’t RPers…or don’t consider themselves RPers anyway.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Even with megaserver, even the highly-populated zones have ‘ghost towns’. Frostgorge Sound, for example. Lots of people there, but if you’re not running with the pack you might as well be in the zone alone.

Lol that resolution, dat 4:3 ratio screen. Your PC must be from the early 2000s.

Anyways, we need an expansion ^^ Otherwise the population will decline, a lot of player quit be cause lack of content. Almost everyone tells you that apart from some white knights who still don’t want to see the facts.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

The game absolutely has a future as a casual game, but nothing more than that (if ANet continues along the same path it has been on).

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

(…) Context is often everything, but so is jamming words into people’s mouths(…) .

Yeah. He’s doing it constantly, as long as I remember.
And do note – he never acknowledge he’s wrong, even if You catch him on contradictions, nor he acknowledge You’re right, when You are. Sometimes he’s right, I’m not saying he’s not – but if You agree with him on 1 point out of 10, he takes it like complete win on all accounts. So much for constructive criticism.
And try to forget to write “it’s my opinion” (which is obvious) and You’ll be jammed with accusations of lies and spreading misinformation

does GW2 have a future?

Vayne.8563

(…) Context is often everything, but so is jamming words into people’s mouths(…) .

And do note – he never acknowledge he’s wrong, even if You catch him on contradictions, nor he acknowledge You’re right, when You are. Sometimes he’s right, I’m not saying he’s not – but if You agree with him on 1 point out of 10, he takes it like complete win on all accounts. So much for constructive criticism.
And try to forget to write “it’s my opinion” (which is obvious) and You’ll be jammed with accusations of lies and spreading misinformation

And the people I argue with always admit they’re wrong. lol

I agree with these people so they’re right. Logically speaking, we can’t all be right. Anyone most of the time, I don’t talk in absolutes. I’m more careful with how I speak than many.

And I wouldn’t talk about lying much after a post like yours.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

i find Gw2 Boring Myself.

theres not much to do, the things you can do get boring very fast and repetitive.

The acended gear is just as grindy as other MMO’s

the Zerker meta is annoying.

world bosses are too easy and simple.

the reward system is bad.. I get better rewards picking my nose

Movement speed is annoying.

Trading post is corrupt

Gems are too expensive

legendarys arent special enough to spend 2 months to farm every day.

Graphics look too " Japanese "

Builds are Cookie cutters ( some build out shine others)

no Dueling

no mounts

no GvG

no Housing

the list goes on and on.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

I agree with these people so they’re right. Logically speaking, we can’t all be right. Anyone most of the time, I don’t talk in absolutes. I’m more careful with how I speak than many.

Well – I will try to use Your weapon.
We’ve ben doing this dance for more than a year and a half? Taking into consideration, I left since xmas’13 till 2 months ago, and now left again, visiting only forums (more fun than playing). We’ve been talking in about… 50 topics? 80? Maybe more.
I remember to admit I’m wrong more than 10-15 times… because guess what. You were actually right! Yep, I can’t believe it as well!
But hey – I never eeeeeever seen You do it. No matter if it was in dialogue with me, or in any other thread, I wasn’t involved above simply reading.
Whenever I (or anyone else) pinpointed You to weak point of Your logic, to the flaw of this particular change of thoughts, there was no answer. You either ignored that point and focused 100% on others in our discussion, or You complitly left without a word. And my feelings were hurt…

does GW2 have a future?

Vayne.8563

Well – I will try to use Your weapon.
We’ve ben doing this dance for more than a year and a half? Taking into consideration, I left since xmas’13 till 2 months ago, and now left again, visiting only forums (more fun than playing). We’ve been talking in about… 50 topics? 80? Maybe more.
I remember to admit I’m wrong more than 10-15 times… because guess what. You were actually right! Yep, I can’t believe it as well!
But hey – I never eeeeeever seen You do it. No matter if it was in dialogue with me, or in any other thread, I wasn’t involved above simply reading.
Whenever I (or anyone else) pinpointed You to weak point of Your logic, to the flaw of this particular change of thoughts, there was no answer. You either ignored that point and focused 100% on others in our discussion, or You complitly left without a word. And my feelings were hurt…

I can remember admitting I was wrong on more than one occasion on these forums. So demonstrably, what you’re saying isn’t true. I don’t always admit I’m wrong, because I’m not always wrong. And much of what I say is opinion which can’t be wrong.

But I don’t often tell other people they’re wrong either. I tell them I disagree and give the reasons why. Then they put words into MY mouth and say I’m wrong. It’s wrong to do that…then people accuse me of putting words into their mouths.

As for me leaving, there are times in life I have to go and often I don’t get back for a while. By then the conversation has moved on.

does GW2 have a future?

Posted by: InfernoCrossing.8063

InfernoCrossing.8063

If you think about it, Guild Wars 2 has survived some pretty major releases. From what I remember we have:

1. WoW: Mists of Pandaria – Came out somewhat shortly after release and marked the start of the doomsayers

2. Elder Scrolls Online – Lotta people said they’d flee to Tamriel since this boat was sinking. Apparently they crossed the paths of a lotta black cats since ESO burned faster than pre-buff Caledon Wurm.

3. Wildstar – Appealed more to the hardcore MMO player and a major company rival. Should’ve had more appeal since it didn’t cater to “casuals”. However, with the recent string of bad news from this game, this is another notch on GW2’s, belt.

4. D3: Reaper of Souls – The most important one that I recall. Almost singlehandedly revived D3 back up to snuff. I repeat, a single expansion saved this dying MMO.

5. Destiny – Most recent one, although the weakest overall since it’s on the console and not on PC, like GW2. Still a pretty major MMO release, but it just seems to have bad news after bad news.

In short, GW2 has survived long past things that should’ve killed it. Does it have a future? Most likely yes. Will it be a good future? Hopefully. We can only wait to see if the current round of CDIs will have some decent fruit later on.

[Stormbluff Isle since September ’12] |VZ|
Ragnarune | Lily Vinheim | Voirdere
Viezza