dragon's revelry starcake

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

Posted about this earlier, is it just me or is this new food ridiculous (check it on tp)? Currently only those who buy rich dragon coffers are able to make it, the recipe doesn’t seem to be on tp.

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Definitely not pleased if there’s no chance of the recipe dropping from regular coffers. Plus, even if the recipe is able to be traded, how many players are still buying the rich coffers at this point in enough quantity that any spare recipes would show up on the TP? As someone who tries to learn all the recipes I find this incredibly frustrating.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Well, everyone who bought at least one rich coffer before today’s update will receive a recipe in a couple of days time. Hopefully they are tradeable, and that there are LOTS of them.

I would be willing to bet they will still be really expensive to make.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I find it completely ill that not only is it rng for those who did not buy rich coffers prior to this update, but even those who did are allotted via a lottery. Thus only those lucky enough to receive the mail early are able to capitalize on it’s onset. This is obviously an issue that someone over there should have taken note of. I really wonder sometimes of ppl’s caliber.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Lane.3410

Well, everyone who bought at least one rich coffer before today’s update will receive a recipe in a couple of days time. Hopefully they are tradeable, and that there are LOTS of them.

Well, that’s still only one recipe per person who purchased, so you’d be hoping for either 1) the chance that those people don’t have a chef and/or 2) the chance that they don’t want to keep the recipe for themselves. The odds don’t look good to me.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Weren’t the recipes from the flame and frost account bound? If they were, these probably will be also. Most things you buy with gems are anyway.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Lol opened 1 box got the recipe, silly rng why u so silly…

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Arkard.3970

Arkard.3970

Can we get some clarification on if these are dropped from regular coffers? Given that you can get everything from the Rich Coffers with normal coffers, we would like to know if this is intentional.

If it is, that’s silly. If that’s the case it’d be fair to make this either tradable or just send one to everyone who opened a coffer.

Miyako [Kupo] – 80 Thief
Tarnished Coast Server

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

On June 11th, they said there would be some exclusive items in the rich coffers but afterwards they did change that when the recipe wasn’t dropping. The stats on the food seems a bit higher than it should be, but I do agree it isn’t game breaking or really overpowered. I think it should be adjusted down slightly, but eh.

It isn’t exactly cheap to make. And there are more than enough zhaitaffy to sustain it for a long time. In a few days so many people will have the recipe and able to make them, that the price will most likely stabilize only a bit above cost, giving no one a real advantage.

Whether it’s a new drop in game or from the gem store, people still freak out and allow themselves to be gouged on price just so they can be the first to get something, that isn’t going to make things suddenly that much easier.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I would be willing to bet they will still be really expensive to make.

Oh boy, social experiment time!

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

thus begins the pay2win train

DrMatt.9408

Im glad its not just me concerned about this. As it stands it is very close to p2w imop. Flame me if you like, but anet have crossed a line here, this is the first time that a combat stat boosting item recipe has been made exclusively available on the gemstore.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And it could be seen as P2W, IF the food that it made was also account/soulbound, this is however NOT the case, so I don’t really see the issue.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

DrMatt.9408

well lets see if its below 30 silver in a months time

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Wait… a recipe is being given out to “special” people? When none of us even knew the recipe existed? Wow, there’s some crazy right there. So now we’re supposed to buy whatever RNG boxes are offered because some mystery gift might be given to us later?

Anet’s getting worse on the whole being upfront with the customers.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

lordkrall.7241

Wait… a recipe is being given out to “special” people? When none of us even knew the recipe existed? Wow, there’s some crazy right there. So now we’re supposed to buy whatever RNG boxes are offered because some mystery gift might be given to us later?

No, the recipe is being given out to people that bought a RNG box that clearly stated that there was a chance to get a recipe (the recipe was however not in said box until the update yesterday and therefor EVERYONE that bought a RNG box before yesterdays update will get the recipe mailed to them.)

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If you moused over those coffers descriptions in the gem store it said one of the items within was a recipe. There were at least 2 threads on the forums about the recipes not being in the rich dragon coffers. So this is for all the people who bought those coffers and didn’t get what was advertised.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Didn’t even notice it as a potential drop, I brought some rich coffers in attempt to get tickets (which didn’t happen), haha.

Will be nice as a sort of consolation prize.

Posted by: Silver Chopper.4506

Silver Chopper.4506

Don’t get so worked up folks. The food requires 1 crystalline dust + 50 saffron threads + 40 pieces of zhaitaffy + 2 white cake for half an hour boost. You don’t need it at that cost.
Even if the recipe was given to you right now you will not use it.

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Why wait a month?
It’s already below it for sale, and buy orders are at ~17s. That’s roughly around cost I think. Not sure how close, too lazy to fully calculate values atm.

The pick, sickle, and axe when it actually comes out, are a bit closer to pay-to-win, but they really aren’t either. Convenience sure, but extremely overpriced when you consider gold to gem conversion, and the fact you’d pretty much never make up the value.

All the other foods are just as viable as they were before, and this one isn’t so special overall. There will be a rush of people using it, feeling they need it, and then the demand will fall off, many will go back to what they used before, if they use anything.

It isn’t a food that suddenly makes you invincible, or doubles your power, it’s roughly around a 5% boost to every core stat. Eh.

But I know people will keep freaking out about it. As well as the next thing that comes out. Unless there is actual pay-to-win, I’m not concerned. And even then, so many more would be complaining, that changes would start to be made. Will they see how far they can go? Maybe, but I do not believe it is a conscious effort to ‘creep in p2w,’ nor will this actually hurt the game in any way, and sure isn’t ‘easy mode.’

Arena does not want to hurt the game in any way. People however…

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

The latest patch notes tell it differently.

Posted by: Demigott.4150

Demigott.4150

check the ingredients..
e.g white cake …8 copper →2s
saffron 10copper→ 50copper

thats y its expensive, people bought all the craftitems…the actual item should be around 15-20s…t6 dust will never decrease much…so there are always 10s more or less…

Its not worth it!

Lunacy Solacio.6514

The latest patch notes tell it differently.

I’m not seeing what would make you think that…

But no, you are right, All those people that put so many years into it want to just run it into the ground. Forget about expansions and anything else, just get some money now and get out before they effectively nuke it and tick everyone off. Yep, sounds like a plan. Can’t possibly be people overreacting to basically nothing. So, you might as well quit now right?

I was concerned at first, when I saw the molten pick, but then realized how long it would take for it to pay for itself. Also that it was nothing but a convenience item and didn’t give a real advantage except to maybe save at most a couple inventory slots, and remove the hassle of swapping picks.

But hey, maybe I’m biased since I have no intention of buying the starcakes, and sure wouldn’t pay 30s for one.

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

What are the exact stats on this food? Someone said 5% boost? That would be a significant boost.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

What are the exact stats on this food? Someone said 5% boost? That would be a significant boost.

From the ones I found on the TP:

45 Power, Precision, Vit, Toughness, Healing, Condition dmg
5% crit
20% magic find
10% experience

30 min buff

Lane.3410

I’m not on board with recipes being exclusive to the gem store, especially in RNG containers. This oversteps the “it’s only vanity” argument as far as I’m concerned. It’s not comparable to the infinite gathering tools either. I can buy other gathering tools in game that have the same exact function, that is not true with this recipe.

The actual food may not be account bound, but the only method to obtain it is to buy it from people who spent RL $ in the gem store. Yeah, I definitely see a problem with that. It sets a really bad precedent that if you have the disposable income you can buy an advantage over other players. Measuring that advantage is moot, the fact remains that it exists.

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

Call me cynical but it’s almost like they realised there was such a kitten storm over the chance of getting a jade weapon ticket from rich coffers being so low they made something up on the spot and applied it as a ‘bug fix’ to try and keep people happy.

I mean, the patch was the first time I ever heard of anything to do with either recipes or this food from coffers. Even the TP icon hasn’t been put in yet.

Only Anet knows for sure I guess.

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

lordkrall.7241

Call me cynical but it’s almost like they realised there was such a kitten storm over the chance of getting a jade weapon ticket from rich coffers being so low they made something up on the spot and applied it as a ‘bug fix’ to try and keep people happy.

I mean, the patch was the first time I ever heard of anything to do with either recipes or this food from coffers. Even the TP icon hasn’t been put in yet.

I suppose you didn’t actually read the description on the Rich Coffers then?
They mentioned Recipe from the very first second they were added to the store.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Weren’t the recipes from the flame and frost account bound? If they were, these probably will be also. Most things you buy with gems are anyway.

It’s a stupid Divinity’s Gear knock-off. …that requires CRYSTAL DUST.

Even if a lot of money exchanges hands over it, it’s really only for Trading Post power traders to play with (and never actually eat). No one’s build will actually depend on it, infact it will only make specialized builds Weaker to run it over the primary stats they need more. Izzy’s probably the only player who will ever eat more than 100 of them… (and he should really be watching his carbs better)

PS: if you REALLY wanna tinkle in the cornflakes of these people… use your own money to keep jacking up the price of Saffron. (I bought 2 stacks a couple days ago for ELEVEN LOUSY COPPER, lol … and guess what they cost already?… I did the same thing back when Crystal Dusts were super cheap … it’s like I’m psychic of soem crap)

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

As someone who likes to have every recipe in the game, this is still complete b.s.. There was no mention what these recipes where. If they were exclusive to the Rich coffers or not. If they were going to be account bound or not. Which the ones from Flame and Frost were sellable on the TP.

This continued form of exclusivity will kill this game fast.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

I suppose you didn’t actually read the description on the Rich Coffers then?
They mentioned Recipe from the very first second they were added to the store.

If that’s the case then you can just call me wrong I didn’t read it as I had no intention of ever buying one from the Gem store. I do read the updates and forums a fair amount and still never heard of it till the last patch.

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

(edited by Xeph.4718)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If the wiki is correct and the recipe only creates one starcake then that is not very likely.
The prices of the white cake ingredients seems unchanged by this so …

1s32c – 2x White Cakes
25s00c – 50 Saffron Threads for 50c, assuming it settles down to that price
2s00c – 40 Zhaitaffy assuming this recipe prevents the price from falling further
12s00c – Pile of Crystalline Dust

40s32c – total cost
47s43c – price to sell on TP to get back 40s32c

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Picture I saw of the recipe it creates 2 starcakes

I guess it took a while for people to freak and buy a ton. It will settle down quite a bit again eventually, at least after enough people realize it isn’t nearly as good as it may seem at first. Likely there is the placebo effect and the ‘OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT’ thing going on.

Maybe some just don’t want to carry a couple foods and use what they need in a given circumstance.

Many times I don’t even use food, or I’ll look down and realize, it ended, and just shrug. If I didn’t notice it ended, I must not have needed it. But if things get difficult, I’ll use food that fits the situation (increase damage or survivability). While I can see the appeal of 1 food that buffs a bit of everything, just the reality is, it makes little real difference, especially given the cost.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It makes 2 cakes, but when I looked today at the price of 50 saffron it was 90s. Even if it comes down in price it will not really be worth it to make them, personal use or selling.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I agree. The Gem Store has now crossed the line into “Evil” territory. Made even more evil by requiring the already despicable lotto, cash grab, money pit RNG boxes for a chance to “win”.

For the first time since launch I can see myself quitting the game entirely. Another millimeter down this slippery slope or a new MMO even half the game that GW2 is and it will be hard to stay.

I think my financial support for the game has very likely ended.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

It sets a really bad precedent that if you have the disposable income you can buy an advantage over other players. Measuring that advantage is moot, the fact remains that it exists.

I agree. The Gem Store has now crossed the line into “Evil” territory.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Strength_Booster
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_Booster

-_-

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I think if they would have made the recipe sellable/tradable, it would have alleviated the problem people are having. Just my 2cents though

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

DrMatt.9408

Anet have indeed crossed a line here, and I think it would be wise that they turned back and went the other way.

As it is the current policy of sending a recipe to those who bought rich coffers is unfair. I myself bought gems, converted them to gold and spent them on regular coffers as I figured opening 2000 of them would be better value than opening 20 rich. Didn’t get a ticket or anything useful of course, but I still sent anet my money. Where is my recipe guys?

The recipe should be sent to EVERYONE or be added to the zhaitafy trader before this escalates into another pr disaster.

It’s a shame because other than this the latest patch has been the best we’ve had since before christmas imop

DrMatt.9408

It sets a really bad precedent that if you have the disposable income you can buy an advantage over other players. Measuring that advantage is moot, the fact remains that it exists.

-_-

These don’t work in wvw, whereas the food obviously does.

lordkrall.7241

They do.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

It’s so P2W now.

Before I had this recipe, I was down and out in the sewers of Lions Arch. Having to beg passing skritt for food, clothes, and a miserable rare here and there. My wife had left me, my kids would no longer talk to me, and my dog was eaten by wild Hyleks. I would stare up from under the sewer grates at all the wealthy and influential citizens of Tyria and wonder just where my life took a turn for the worse.

But no longer!!! With the pittance I acquired from selling my extra organs to a less than reputable necromancer, I had bought a dragon coffer. Since that recipe came into my life things have changed, praise Kormir! I now live in the wealthiest part of the city, with women on each arm, people ask me for my autograph, and I have opened an orphanage for the needy children. I have 15 legendaries, my gold overflows my bank tabs, and they are renaming Lions Arch to Killcannon Township. Life is good.

Or……. it’s just a recipe for a food that doesn’t really change anything.

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Don`t know about anyone else, but these pay2win (lol ;p) stats are very high/good.

P.S. Killcannon , I`ve another kidney for sale, know any buyers? ;p

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

looks at crystalline dust ingredient

Not sure if I want to eat it, that stuff is most commonly drop by rotting zombies, and ghost you know, who knows what it will do to you.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

LFk.1408

-_-

They do. Just tested, in case they had changed this.

As does regen boosters, etc.

Boosters are only inactive in competitive PvP. Even if they were removed from WvW, however, it still supports my point, unless you mean to say that PvE does not count as part of the game.

The fact that you are trying to split this hair in the first place demonstrates the weakness of the argument I just destroyed: This recipe does not set any sort of precedent. This is not the start of some “p2w train”. This is not arenanet’s descent to evil.

The “precedent” (that spending gems can give you small combat boosts) has been set straight from the launch of the game, and I don’t really recall any significant number of people complaining about the boosters, and most notably from none of the people in this thread.

As you can see, lack of consistency in arguments is something that frustrates me. I am not some sort of advocate of the gem store. I just dislike people disguising their personal complaints as some kind of “principles” argument.

I am willing to guess that the majority of the people that complain about this recipe simply dislike that gem purchasers got something they did not. If you wish to air your dissatisfaction about that, please state it as such.

(edited by LFk.1408)

Lane.3410

Those are available in BLCs, I have more of them than I know what to do with in my bank. All of my BLC keys have come from playing the game, I have never purchased one from the gem store. I really don’t see how this relates.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This is not pay to win. Pay to win means people with a bigger wallet get a bigger advantage.

This food is sold on TP, and anyone can buy it, just like any other food item. You didn’t complain about the previous expensive food items, did you? This one is no different.

LFk.1408

Those are available in BLCs, I have more of them than I know what to do with in my bank. All of my BLC keys have come from playing the game, I have never purchased one from the gem store. I really don’t see how this relates.

… you can’t be serious. You don’t see how this relates?

The complaint: An item that is available through the gem store gives combat boost, thus sets “pay to win” precedent.
Rebuttal (my above post): Items such as combat boosters are available through gem store, thus precedent has been set long ago. Therefore, the complaint is invalid, so long as people seem to be OK with the booster existing.

I am trying to think of ways that you somehow have failed to grasp this, and am at a loss. Black Lion Chests (unlocked) are gem store items, much like the Dragon’s Revelry Starcake recipe.

Is it possible that you think Black Lion Chests are not gem store items because keys are farmable from the personal story? Because theoretically, all gem store items are “farmable” through gold.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I’m not on board with recipes being exclusive to the gem store, especially in RNG containers. This oversteps the “it’s only vanity” argument as far as I’m concerned.

Well they already did that with the black lion salvage kits but yeah this is just a sign of them moving closer to p2w given food can be used in WvW.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Lane.3410

… you can’t be serious. You don’t see how this relates?

It doesn’t relate on basically every possible level. I’m not even sure why you picked this example to argue.

First of all, boosters come readily in BLCs and you never have to buy a BLC key from the gem store since they’re easily obtained through map completion and personal story. You aren’t given a choice with Rich Dragon Coffers, you have to purchase them from the gem store. Therefore, they don’t share the same methods of acquisition.

Even if boosters were strictly gem store only items, you can buy exactly which boosters you want, they’re not tucked inside a gem-store-only RNG box where you hope you get the item you’re seeking. If the Starcake recipe were available as an individual purchase I still wouldn’t be pleased, but it’d be a far cry better than it is currently.

Not to mention that boosters aren’t equivalent to a recipe at all. Anyone can buy and receive boosters (or get them for free), not everyone can buy a Rich Dragon Coffer and receive the recipe. Also, since the recipe is account bound it means only people going through the gem store have access to it, which is a blatant slant toward the cash shop that definitely crosses over the “it’s only vanity” argument that people like to use for everything else.

Lastly, boosters give a 1 hour combat buff. A recipe is a permanent addition. If boosters added a permanent +5% to your character then, yeah, I’d be against that too. If the recipe were only able to be made for an hour and then it disappeared from your character and you’d have to buy another then I’d have no issue with it. Again, the two really aren’t comparable.

What they should have done was added the recipe to regular dragon coffers with a reduced drop rate and/or made them tradeable.

(edited by Lane.3410)

Posted by: Cinnamon Goddess.3869

Cinnamon Goddess.3869

LFK I see the point you are trying to make but LANE is correct. It is different! There are 2 ways to obtain BLC chests…keys and gold. There is only 1 way to obtain recipe..gold! And you trying to prove LANE wrong does more to help pay2win and the mistakes Anet and NCSoft are making then prove you are right. Anet is obviously trying to justify this new line totting move and you shouldn’t be helping them justify it. The point of this whole forum posting is to express the discontent with yet another mistake. I would find your argue more constructive if you just corrected the part of LANE’s argument you found to be wrong and then show your agreed disapproval of where the cash shop is headed. In the end this will hurt you also even if you do want the pay advantage because people will leave this game for games like Tera.

This food is like having an extra ascended accessory piece for 30 mins possibly and hour as the video linked to this forum looked like the recipe created 2 Starcakes. This is a significant boost in my opinion and I would like to see real comparisons done with other boost to see how this compares to them.

This gives those who spend real money an advantage to more easily make in-game money because they are the only one who can produce the Starcakes because the recipe isn’t tradable. I think this would have been perceived much better if it were tradable even though it would still be wrong based on Anets insistence on not being pay2win.

Why do they want to make it impossible for me to collect everything in the game unless I spend real money? When I look at my broken set of Minis because I refuse to pay $5 each for them it irritates me and makes me not want to play anymore. Minis are one thing; this actually is crossing the line for me. Now I have to ask myself do I really want to beat my head against the wall trying to compete with people who will and can spend real money? They are pushing people like me away. I hope they realize this!