[feature] unlock skins & stats, swap at will

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

so i’m seeing people saying they have have done everything, got nothing else to do. etc. they want more character progression, raise the level cap, etc.

what if, they can set out to get all skins, inventory icon and stats in the game?

each gear slot is actually an infinite gear locker system, waiting for various things to be unlocked.

unlock everything!
swap everything!
armor: skin, stats, runes, infusions
weapons: skin, stats, sigils, infusions
back item: skin, stats, infusions
trinkets: icon, stats, infusions

meet the ultimate non vertical gear tread mill!
now every grinder is happy!

and this gear tread mill is truly infinite, because you know, there will always be new skins!

tl; dr
you can “acquire & unlock” all the skins & stats in the game and “swap” the skins & stats freely when out of combat.

people will never complain they have nothing to do anymore.

they will always be chasing after new skins and stats.

further clarification:
you can freely swap the skins & stats of each piece armor of you wear when not in combat.
once unlocked the skin and stats.

imagine a wardrobe system built into your character.

i click on the chest armor slot,
i can swap into skins that i have unlocked.
i can swap into stats that i have unlocked.
i can swap into runes that i have unlocked.
i can swap into infusions that i have unlocked.

(edited by Deimos Tel Arin.7391)

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

This is what Anet did with the release the first big update in GW with the Stome Summit Dwarves. They had each boss that could drop a Green item. The greens were "Perfect"weapons with new skins. And when Anet released Factions, they made all the armor the same stats with new skins that related to the campaign(Oriental looks for Cantha and Tribal looks for Elona). If Anet were to do this for new items then I’d be fine, but having to get new gear every 6-9 months for BiS is just crap and against everything they said.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

^ yes!
that’s why we say no to vertical progression!

horizontal progression is good!
vertical progression bad!

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Horizontal progression is pointless.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hmm how is that so? could you back up this statement of yours?

haviz.1340

Inactive friend list.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Inactive friend list.

ooo but that is just you.
my guild has plenty of active members playing everyday.

do you have anything else to back up your claim?

haviz.1340

More inactive friend lists.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

More inactive friend lists.

this is not enough backing.
do you want to call your other friends and have them say, that they have inactive friend lists too?

i could show do the same by saying my guild is full of active members playing.

haviz.1340

do you want to call your other friends and have them say, that they have inactive friend lists too?

So if they are still playing, they need no progression. People I know need and they have quitted. Making living story fluff every 2 weeks won’t bring back anyone.

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

So if they are still playing, they need no progression. People I know need and they have quitted. Making living story fluff every 2 weeks won’t bring back anyone.

So you like the wow/everquest endless treadmill?
http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

they’re doing this already to a degree. champions now drop unique weapon skins too. A locker where you get to unlock skins and use them as many times as you want like the zenith weapon skins would be really awesome though and make hunting skins much more worth while I think!

They also talked about making more horizontal progression, new skills that sort of thing. If they make them “hard” to acquire, I dont know each world boss upgraded to tequalt level and succeeding event unlocks skin. Or you can buy them for say 20-50 skill points each. I dont know… could work though.

haviz.1340

You like living story?

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

You’re confused, Haviz. Living Story and so on brings back plenty of people. They don’t put that time and effort into for no reason – they’d have ditched it months ago if it didn’t.

What it doesn’t bring back is progression-obsessives.

Don’t you remember when GW2 came out, loads of people said “All those dudes obsessed with progression will quit within six months!”? Because they did. People said GW2 would die as a result, but that was clearly wrong. That said, they were right about the progression obsessed people quitting.

That is why your friend list is empty. Because as you seem to say yourself, all your friends wanted progression, and now they’re gone.

It’s pretty simple. GW2 isn’t set up to given strong vertical progression. It never has been, and unless ArenaNet are actively lying, it will not have significant vertical progression in the future. So you need to write those guys off. They were never going to stick around, and NOTHING that ArenaNet can do will bring them back, unless they literally turn the game into WoW, with endless tiers of gear.

TESO and WildStar both sound to be featuring WoW-style gear-churn, so even if GW2 did an amazing expansion full of brilliant new content, you ex-friends wouldn’t be interested, because they don’t care about high-quality content, or content at all – all they want is progression, progression, progression, and for them, all that counts is strong vertical progression.

As for the OP, it would be a very strong idea, to make skins more like dyes, and would make me VERY keen on chasing a lot of stuff it’s not practical to chase when I have limited bankspace for my items. Whether you do that with stats too, I’m not so sure, but skins, definitely a good idea.

haviz.1340

This game turns into facebook game. Log in, chop down some trees and log out. Nothing is even remotely hard and anet can’t even design anything hard. Dungeons were supposed to be hard, Liadri was supposed to be impossible and many more. We all have seen how that turned out to be.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

This game turns into facebook game. Log in, chop down some trees and log out. Nothing is even remotely hard and anet can’t even design anything hard. Dungeons were supposed to be hard, Liadri was supposed to be impossible and many more. We all have seen how that turned out to be.

Nice attempt to move the goalposts, Haviz.

You’ve already said that your friends are only interested in content which involves them getting better and better gear – vertical progression – but now it’s about “hard” content?

No. One or the other, Haviz. Which is it?

What’s particularly funny is that in vertical progression games like WoW, almost nothing is really “hard”, you just need to go get better gear. I mean, Heroic Dungeons seem hard? Only until you have gear from them. Then they seem really easy. Raiding seems hard? Only until you have mostly raid gear, then it seems really easy. Heroic Raiding seems hard? Only until you have mostly Heroic raid gear, then it seems mostly, well, if not easy, like just a matter of staying focused (certainly not hard-hard).

So I think what your friends want, and possibly you, is just to get gear and overpower content by getting said gear. GW2 isn’t about that, so…

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

aye, well said Eurhetemec !

gw2 is about collecting skins!

the bank slot is very limited, so if we have an unlimited skin / stats slot unlock swap system then everyone would want to get everything.

then the bank slot can be used to keep other things.

haviz.1340

You’ve already said that your friends are only interested in content which involves them getting better and better gear – vertical progression – but now it’s about “hard” content?

What’s particularly funny is that in vertical progression games like WoW, almost nothing is really “hard”, you just need to go get better gear. I mean, Heroic Dungeons seem hard? Only until you have gear from them. Then they seem really easy. Raiding seems hard? Only until you have mostly raid gear, then it seems really easy. Heroic Raiding seems hard? Only until you have mostly Heroic raid gear, then it seems mostly, well, if not easy, like just a matter of staying focused (certainly not hard-hard).

So I think what your friends want, and possibly you, is just to get gear and overpower content by getting said gear. GW2 isn’t about that, so…

Why do you want to get better gear? Obviously to tackle harder bosses. We desperately need better content-wise bosses with obligatory better gear that allows you to even think about trying to beat them. We already have something like that and it’s called Jade Maw. Anet just needs to broaden this concept on more bosses with better mechanics.

In Gw2 you press 1 all the time, how is that hard? I can press alt-tab, read forums and if I’m back, I will have gold participation medal. And we’re talking about high-end content here.

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

The problem with GW2 is it had neither vertical or horizontal progression at launch. Hit 80 get exotics in a week or two. Done.

If the whole point of playing was to find new skills that could be combined together in neat ways, like gw1, then there would be worthwhile horizontal progression. Instead the devs really wanted to control the classes and the result is no horizontal progression.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Mind = blown

Although, at some point humans get immune to this kind of reward system. Happened to me

This is why some writers blasted <blackedout/> when <blackedout/> introduced a new “achievement” system a couple of years ago. These are rewards tied to performing random pointless tasks, over and over again (such as, fishing until you catch a thousand fish). No new content, no element of practice, or discovery, or mastery was included. Just a virtual treadmill.

Of course, game developers (and various commenters, I’m sure) would correctly point out that nobody is making the players do it. Why would humans voluntarily put themselves in laboratory hamster mode? Well, it’s all about…

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p2.html#ixzz2g5r9zUfe

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

haviz.1340

The problem with GW2 is it had neither vertical or horizontal progression at launch. Hit 80 get exotics in a week or two. Done.

If the whole point of playing was to find new skills that could be combined together in neat ways, like gw1, then there would be worthwhile horizontal progression. Instead the devs really wanted to control the classes and the result is no horizontal progression.

So gw2 has no progression except getting new backpacks every 2 weeks?

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

^ yes!
that’s why we say no to vertical progression!

horizontal progression is good!
vertical progression bad!

Go to BLTC and for example sort Sigils by prices… And then tell me if you see horizontal or vertical progression.

In most MMO VP grows with the game and gates content. And I don’t see anything bad about it. It’s just like in any other open world game – there’s always something that blocks your progress.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Thankfully I have reached the conclusion, that GW2 is fervently using addiction techniques to keep you playing, months ago. So sad that the game is rotating towards ‘playing to get that item/score’ instead of ‘playing cause it’s fun’.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

haviz.1340

Thankfully I have reached the conclusion, that GW2 is fervently using addiction techniques to keep you playing, months ago. So sad that the game is rotating towards ‘playing to get that item/score’ instead of ‘playing cause it’s fun’.

We even have those chests this article mentions.

Galen Grey.4709

Liadri was supposed to be impossible?

What would be the point of doing content thats impossible to beat?

Liadri wasnt supposed to be impossible, she was supposed to be challenging and she was!

Galen Grey.4709

Why do you want to get better gear? Obviously to tackle harder bosses. We desperately need better content-wise bosses with obligatory better gear that allows you to even think about trying to beat them. We already have something like that and it’s called Jade Maw. Anet just needs to broaden this concept on more bosses with better mechanics.

In Gw2 you press 1 all the time, how is that hard? I can press alt-tab, read forums and if I’m back, I will have gold participation medal. And we’re talking about high-end content here.

Not really…. I do like hard content but there is no need to have VP for it. VP is just a psychological game. So right now you have gear that gives you power 10 and you’re taking on enemies that require power 12 so it feels hard. Eventually that will reward you with gear that gives you power 15 so your current enemy will feel easy but it will allow you to tackle the next raid that is power 18 but that feels hard until you beat it and get power 20 at which point you need to repeat the next raid which has enemies power 22 etc… etc.. You dont need any of that if you’re power 10 you just need content thats power 12 no need to raise the bar ever!

Of course in Gw2 thats tricky simply because one of the core designs is if you dont feel like getting your power 10 gear you’ll still not be locked out of any content so thats a tricky thing to have in this game.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Actually it was a pretty pathetic attempt at moving the goalpost, like all of his other posts. You pretty much dismantled him in one well written post and he is since then trying to avoid a proper discussion.

Not big surprise.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

There is always some VP in games, even GW1 had it. However, unlike other MMO’s GW1 has a cap to theirs. You got your max stat armor, got your maxed runes/insigs of choice and that was it. Game on.

In games like WoW, its grind content A – get Tier 1 → proceed to content B and grind for tier 2, etc. You are always “preparing” to play, never really “just” playing because its always about the next piece of gear grind. Hamster, meet Wheel.

That is not a fun model for many of us. We believe that content b should be as readily accessible to those in tier 1 as to those in tier 2. The only difference is that for those in tier 1, it will be harder and that is fine.

GW2 originally gave us a stat cap with exotics. They (and the players) decided that exotics were too easy to get, so Anet gave us Ascended – something that took a little more effort to get. A new stat cap, with minor assurances that it’s the last tier for the foreseeable future. If the game had launched with this tier as its initial final stat cap, we wouldn’t have the uproar we have now. I feel we need to give them a break, for the time being. As long as they don’t introduce another tier, I won’t have an issue. I’ll reserve my yelling for ‘if’ that should happen.

Yes, we have tiers of sigils and runes, but this is no different than how runes worked in gw1, and people willing made the choice to not have top tier runes there. Of course, they had drawbacks to them…ie, reduction in health. Perhaps we should implement that again for runes or something in this game. more powerful = less hp, seems like a fair trade. Infusions have not reached their ‘final’ cap yet, but they will in time (maybe these should have the trade off, instead of the runes or sigils. The higher tier of infusion, the greater the trade off). At that point, we will have our ‘stat cap’ which Anet did say they wanted to do, they just never said we would necessarily have at launch.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think this would work great, but only if you had a wardrobe, like the PvP one. That way people could spend ages earning all of the different skins, some easy to get some hard.

It doesn’t work if you’re getting a one time use dohicky.

I think part of the reason that we had to go VP so fast, is that the game launched without the infrastructure to support HP.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

A pve “armor closet” is something on their todo list. It’s been mentioned several times in the past, and Colin mentioned at PAX that a ‘skin’ closet so we can reuse those limited time skins was something they still want to do. Just takes time…

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Vertical progression gives you a goal to achieve, then you have a point to play this game for much more. Addicting games always have a new point/goal to play and grind, this is the reason of wow’s success. Don’t only think about items and gear when I mean grinding, gear power and balance can still stay at the same level but they can add a new grinding mechanism like honor points which gained from wvw and pk zones. These can be used to improve character looks, to buy guild capes, to achieve aesthetic cool things etc. This is just an example, honor points or maybe another thing… But good looking items need to be obtained harder than current achievement reward system. Players need to play much more if they want good skins. I mean, you can get zenith weapons even with a low AP, everyone has a back item of current living story etc. The rewards aren’t rare among players so there’s no point in getting them. The only grindy thing is legendary weapons, but effort and gameplay isn’t essential to get one because they depend mostly on gold. This is why gold buyers get them instantly… In brief, I think the vertical aesthetic progression would be good and fits this game’s balanced mechanic better than wow’s item-power progression. The more gameplay and effort, the better and cooler skins and character looks. (Without depending on gold, and with very rare skins) Prevent gold sellers, add more effort-requiring + non-gold legendary-like skins, add new weekly/monthly/perma leaderboard system and competitive system among players and give visible badges/icons next to nickname for this to players, in order to compete other players and become in a better situation etc. etc.. And gw2 players will have many hard goals to achieve in this game and this won’t break item/power balance. The only limit is imagination, these are only examples.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

You like living story?

Living Story is just boring, Vertical progression and endless treadmills on the other hand are a terrible horror that must be purged from existance.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

TooBz.3065

A pve “armor closet” is something on their todo list. It’s been mentioned several times in the past, and Colin mentioned at PAX that a ‘skin’ closet so we can reuse those limited time skins was something they still want to do. Just takes time…

Yeah, I think he also said that you would apply the skins using transmutation stones. Let’s just say I’m not optimistic about this becoming a viable end game strategy. They always introduce some microtransaction to make what I enjoy less acceptable.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yeah, I think he also said that you would apply the skins using transmutation stones. Let’s just say I’m not optimistic about this becoming a viable end game strategy. They always introduce some microtransaction to make what I enjoy less acceptable.

Maybe, maybe not. He did say “pay transmutation stones” to get another copy… but we paid gold in GW1 to obtain additional copies of a hat or costume as well.

I guess it would depend on how many stones/crystals it would cost. Just 1 like a normal transmute? I’m fine with that, I have bunches of the things from normal everyday playing (probably because I save most of my transmuting til the tail end of my leveling). Beyond that, you can still shift gold to gems to get them from the store, for no out of pocket cost.

haviz.1340

Liadri was supposed to be impossible?

What would be the point of doing content thats impossible to beat?

Liadri wasnt supposed to be impossible, she was supposed to be challenging and she was!

Liadri defeated after throwing 8 orbs was never done by anet testers. And she was kittening easy.

Not really…. I do like hard content but there is no need to have VP for it. VP is just a psychological game. So right now you have gear that gives you power 10 and you’re taking on enemies that require power 12 so it feels hard. Eventually that will reward you with gear that gives you power 15 so your current enemy will feel easy but it will allow you to tackle the next raid that is power 18 but that feels hard until you beat it and get power 20 at which point you need to repeat the next raid which has enemies power 22 etc… etc.. You dont need any of that if you’re power 10 you just need content thats power 12 no need to raise the bar ever!

Of course in Gw2 thats tricky simply because one of the core designs is if you dont feel like getting your power 10 gear you’ll still not be locked out of any content so thats a tricky thing to have in this game.

You can’t please both sides. If something is trying to be decent at everything it’s bad at everything. Shame our dead anet can’t see it.

haviz.1340

Actually it was a pretty pathetic attempt at moving the goalpost, like all of his other posts. You pretty much dismantled him in one well written post and he is since then trying to avoid a proper discussion.

Not big surprise.

Is finding a connection between meaningful progression and having hard content too hard for you? It’s a pillar of almost every game there is. Except facebook games and gw2 I guess.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Sounds like DCUO and I’ve got say that I was immensely addicted to gathering costume pieces in that game. I’d be all for them sloping transmutation stones and giving us a proper wardrobe system in which you unlock skins which you can then switch out whenever you desire but unfortunately I doubt they’re going to do it at this point. Who knows, maybe they’ll surprise me.

Anyway, vertical progression doesn’t mesh with the open world system because better gear trivializes old content. So short of ANet updating every encounter in the game when the next tier of gear arrives it’s just not going to work. Raiders are self-contradictory in this in that they request better gear while at the same time requesting for the difficulty of encounters to be raised.

TooBz.3065

Maybe, maybe not. He did say “pay transmutation stones” to get another copy… but we paid gold in GW1 to obtain additional copies of a hat or costume as well.

I guess it would depend on how many stones/crystals it would cost. Just 1 like a normal transmute? I’m fine with that, I have bunches of the things from normal everyday playing (probably because I save most of my transmuting til the tail end of my leveling). Beyond that, you can still shift gold to gems to get them from the store, for no out of pocket cost.

We will just have to see what they come up with. I just have had my confidence shaken to the core. I hope you are correct.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

We will just have to see what they come up with. I just have had my confidence shaken to the core. I hope you are correct.

Yeah, all we can do is have some patience and see how it turns out. Still, when hope is lost, then all is lost…thus why hope is the last thing to die. I still have hope, they haven’t jaded me so badly that I’ve lost it yet.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I think this would work great, but only if you had a wardrobe, like the PvP one. That way people could spend ages earning all of the different skins, some easy to get some hard.

It doesn’t work if you’re getting a one time use dohicky.

I think part of the reason that we had to go VP so fast, is that the game launched without the infrastructure to support HP.

i guess i am not too clear in my first post.

i meant for the characters themselves to be wearing armor pieces that can swap skin and stats freely when not in combat.

a built in wardrobe system.

TooBz.3065

Now that would be cool. My bad, I didn’t understand.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Now that would be cool. My bad, I didn’t understand.

aye, sowee, it was my bad for not being clear.

i have been asking for it since 2006
http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/smart-armor-system-v3-0-t10071643.html

in 2013, i see some light. since weapons can swap stats now.
though now it is limited to legendary weapons.
i expect it to be available for all gear in the future, and can change skins too.

haviz.1340

i expect it to be available for all gear in the future, and can change skins too.

You’re naive if you think that.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

You’re naive if you think that.

back in 2006, swapping stats is out of the question.
now in 2013, swapping stats is possible.

i am confident with their programming capabilities.

and my vision for guild wars 2.

thank you.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Not big surprise.

Is finding a connection between meaningful progression and having hard content too hard for you? It’s a pillar of almost every game there is. Except facebook games and gw2 I guess.

Higher stats isn’t meaningful progression. If your power goes up by 10% but so does everyone’s else (including enemies) aren’t you just running to stand in the same spot?

Besides, I don’t think you deserve an in-depth explanation as to why gear-gating/grinding and other bullkitten that are pillars of almost all other games have no correlation to difficult content. Suffice to say that your beloved Jade Maw is extremely easy once you get enough AR.

P.s. this is as far as I’m willing to go when debating with a guy that insists that this orange should taste more like an apple.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

haviz.1340

Higher stats isn’t meaningful progression. If your power goes up by 10% but so does everyone’s else (including enemies) aren’t you just running to stand in the same spot?

Then getting new backpack every 2 weeks is progression? Besides, ascended weapons increase your effective power by more than 5% and enemies didn’t get stronger.

Besides, I don’t think you deserve an in-depth explanation as to why gear-gating/grinding and other bullkitten that are pillars of almost all other games have no correlation to difficult content. Suffice to say that your beloved Jade Maw is extremely easy once you get enough AR.

In almost every game there is the hardest content is at the end of the road of progression.

P.s. this is as far as I’m willing to go when debating with a guy that insists that this orange should taste more like an apple.

It’s already half an orange, half an apple. I hope you realize that.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

getting new backpacks every 2 weeks is called having more variety.

more variety is always a good thing

however, it is even better if we have super convenient infinite personal storage space for those variety.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

While I can’t speak for anyone else I would keep coming back for those backpacks if there was a convenient way of switching out appearances.

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

Whilst I agree with everyone on how awesome Horizontal Progression is…. tell (above quoted statement) to ascended gear….

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Whilst I agree with everyone on how awesome Horizontal Progression is…. tell (above quoted statement) to ascended gear….

ha? sowee me no understand.
could you clarify that?