get rid of confirmation when salvaging rares

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i don’t think we need to confirm when salvaging rares. it is tedious.

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

IIRC this was actually a feature that was added later in the game. I guess there were too many people accidentally salvaging rares.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

i don’t think we need to confirm when salvaging rares. it is tedious.

I think there will always be some people that want zero confirmations, some who want confirmations on anything that they have already made a mistake on (or nearly), some who want confirmations on everything. And some people who will say, “just add it as an option — more options are good”

Unfortunately, none of the choices are going to satisfy everyone. The various confirmation|not will always find some people dealing with tedium or feeling that ANet should protect us from our own haste. Options are a great idea until you realize that the UI alone gets complicated, it’s not cheap to implement, and too many people will choose to turn off confirmation…and then complain that they didn’t realize it was off. (Not everyone, of course, just enough to cost ANet time via extra Customer Service tickets.)

As a result, ANet just has to guess at the right amount of compromise between the camps.

For my salvaging, I just rearrange my window and filter in the search using ‘rare’ — the relevant kits show up and I can click twice for salvage & confirm, without moving the mouse.

edit: fixed weird homophone typo

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’d vote to keep the confirmation in this case.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No, it saved my bacon with rares and exotics more than once.

I could support a temporary suspension that resets upon closing the inventory screen. But not a permanent setting.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

The number of times I’ve been mass salvaging with copper o matic and clicked on a rare.. that confirmation has saved me wasting the item. With the current price of ecto you don’t wanna end up with wvw tokens instead of the ecto.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Zealoux.5142

Zealoux.5142

I know someone who has already salvage a precursor, so I vote for a triple confirmation.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I know someone who has already salvage a precursor, so I vote for a triple confirmation.

I hope they told customer service — Support will often replace valuable items that were mistakenly salvaged (if people ask nicely and don’t make a habit of doing so).

https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Well once again… How about an option to enable this. Instead of argueing why it should or should not be forced, let the player decide how they want it, and accept the consequences either way.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I like it. It warns me to swap off my Salvage-o-Mat and onto my mystic kit.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

A simple option to turn it on or off. Best of both worlds.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

No, it’s saved a lot of rares.

But removing the prompt when using a yellow or Orange kit would be awesome.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

That would be wise !

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I would agree on this one. I don’t want the confirmation removed on the basic/copper fed kits as it’s possible to be assembly line salvaging all the stuff in your inventory and attempt to salvage a rare you didn’t notice was there. However I don’t really see the point in a confirmation on the kits primarily used to salvage rares and exotics.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

So i really do not understand why it should or should not be removed for every one.
Why force people to do one of those instead of adding an option to switch this on\off.
What is the reason for demanding a change of being forced to do one thing that would result in other people being forced to do something they do not like\want.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I would agree on this one. I don’t want the confirmation removed on the basic/copper fed kits as it’s possible to be assembly line salvaging all the stuff in your inventory and attempt to salvage a rare you didn’t notice was there. However I don’t really see the point in a confirmation on the kits primarily used to salvage rares and exotics.

Maybe once a week or so when I’m doing assembly-line salvaging w/ basic kits, I’ll accidentally click on a rare… so I’m grateful for the prompt, ‘cause otherwise I’d use a basic kit on them instead of my mystic kits.

For me the prompt is useful.

So, maybe a toggle-option for the prompt in Options is the best solution for everyone? (like Silberfederling and Phokus already suggested)

~EW

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah. If they added a checkbox in options then I can’t see anyone objecting. That sounds reasonable to me.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Considering the number of threads we’ve already had regarding accidentally salvaging kitten even with that get of jail free pop up?

Even if they added a checkbox to optionally turn it off. You just know someone is going to “accidentally” check it, and then kitten that they salvaged something that they didn’t want to, and there was no warning, blah blah. Just look at how often people mis-click stuff now. Its the whole reason they had to give people the option to move the “compact” option.

So….Nope. Leave it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Lyp Sao.1375

or ….

Attachments:

Fight the queens

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Still wouldn’t be sufficient Lyp. Gotta plan for the least common denominator. Its sad, and yes it’s probably mean, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Lyp Sao.1375

Still wouldn’t be sufficient Lyp. Gotta plan for the least common denominator. Its sad, and yes it’s probably mean, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

you are right. we dont need undo functions in mmo games.

Fight the queens

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

It needs to be per kit type and per item type. If your using a silver fed salvagomatic, PLEASE do NOT prompt me for rares. If your using a Black Lion kit and salvaging exotics it gets a little tricky, but since exotics are pretty ‘rare’ a confirmation is not that big of a deal, but they could detect precursors and do a special prompt for those.

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

we need right click salvage all rare and below option

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

we need right click salvage all rare and below option

I really like this idea!…

You right-click a salvage kit stack (or salvage o’matic), and you get a menu of:

Use
Salvage all basic quality gear
Salvage all Fine and lower quality gear
Salvage all Masterwork and lower quality gear
Salvage all Rare and lower quality gear
Salvage all Exotic and lower quality gear
Destroy

Then, if you choose any of the ‘salvage all’ options, it’d start from the top of your inventory going left-to-right top-to-bottom until either the stack of kits is used up, or no other gear qualifies; whichever comes first.

~EW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m usually one who believes that more options is better. Since there are a number of folks who want the feature to stay and others who don’t want it, an options setting would, no the surface, seem like the way to go.

However, the game seems to currently be in a state wherein new content is needed to sustain interest. ANet has spent so very many dev resources, over and over, to invent, reinvent and re-reinvent systems and features. It’s time to focus on stuff to do.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Personally, what would work for me is a combo box that allows me what rarity to prompt at. The default would be ‘Rare’ which would prompt for rare and above. I would set it to ‘Exotic’ myself. Precursors are all exotic, aren’t they? They don’t come as rares?

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I prefer the confirmation because sometimes I almost use the wrong salvage o matic.

Also, the bag options lets you hide item rarity if you don’t want to see it. Someone using that won’t know what is rare or exotic and end up salvaging things they don’t want to if there was no confirmation.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Well once again… How about an option to enable this. Instead of argueing why it should or should not be forced, let the player decide how they want it, and accept the consequences either way.

Because that still costs ANet time and money. And you must know that there will be tons of people turning off confirmations (“too annoying,” they’ll say) until they complain about the mistakes they made …and ask Customer Service to fix them. We can say “accept the consequences,” but “customers” will expect ANet to help them out.

The status quo is simpler: make confirmations global to all players and only for a limited number of situations. Let players work around that.

If ANet wants to delve into this mess, I’d recommend that they make the confirmation work like this:
Right clicking a salvage kit offers the following choice:

• Salvage any items.
  • Salvage rares only without confirmation.

Double clicking works the same as the first option and uses standard confirmations; using the second only works on rares.

Posted by: LionChain.7694

LionChain.7694

Maybe add a thing in the options menu where you can toggle on/off the confirmation thing when salvaging. That way, if people want to keep it, they can keep it. If they don’t, they can toggle it off.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

I’d much rather the confirmation be in place for rares. It’s saved me from accidentally salvaging equipment I use more times than I can count.

I LOVE that you aren’t forced to double-click the salvage kit after confirming a rare salvage now, though. That saves a lot of time when you’re salvaging all your world boss rares for ecto and you have a ton to get through. I still like the confirmation box itself, though.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

The amount of people in this thread who want the confirmation to salvage rares to remain because the message saved them from accidentally salvaging exotics is too kitten high…

I could live with the few times I accidentally salvage a rare with copper salvage-o-matic if in this case I don’t have to click the stupid confirmation on all the rares…

However it definitely needs to stay on exotics! And also for precursors you could add another step where you need to type in the name of the item you want to salvage, as another safety measure. You know, like it already exists when you want to destroy junk trophies that can’t be sold, like the ones from the precursor crafting…

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I support more options but it gets ridiculous going “yeah and they could have this menu with these 20 submenus” for every single thing that really is just in the players remit to do for themselves.
I can’t imagine they’d over-complicate the code for this because it’s too many options and people are too different in their “needs”

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!