griefing with the horns

griefing with the horns

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Thanks OP(s). I’m not saying our Game Overlords are daft (they obviously took the choir bell complaints into account because well look, another musical item!), but I’m glad I get to play with my game sound off so they can line their wallets. Maybe after recycling ideas and slapping new skins on them, you can brainstorm on ways to offer a mute option, block option, or you know, enforce your own rules. Thanks at any rate!

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

Simple temp solution if the horns/bells annoys you just MUTE your sound till you leave the area and it’s not like you are forced to hear the bells/horns.

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

Vuvuzela Tyria-style.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Dervo.9186

Dervo.9186

Better than muting your sound is to turn down sound effects, that’s the one that deals with these horns. Seriously though, there should be a specific slider for ONLY the musical instruments.

I personally liked the bells, but these horns are horrid. The only thing I can think of that would be worse is a “Shrieking Baby Mini”. But I’m sure other people have better imaginations than me.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

As someone who doesn’t even own a bell or the horns…

Y’all need to unrustle your jimmies…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

griefing with the horns

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

I think that those noises are hilarious and I enjoy listening them. I think that it’s just funny. People here don’t have sense of humour. You are not playing this game right if those noises annoys you. Go outside, meet people and when you come back maybe those noises are funny again. This is how this game works. Sometimes sweet sounds just annoys you when you are in the game too long. Think about this. It’s not about the game it’s about your own life.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

I think that those noises are hilarious and I enjoy listening them. I think that it’s just funny. People here don’t have sense of humour. You are not playing this game right if those noises annoys you. Go outside, meet people and when you come back maybe those noises are funny again. This is how this game works. Sometimes sweet sounds just annoys you when you are in the game too long. Think about this. It’s not about the game it’s about your own life.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

if horns get nerfed i’m expecting a 800 gem refund

marriners horn endgame is the best update since fractals

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

griefing with the horns

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

hmmm, one part is really angry with gaile, I ask for a formal reaction and instead you dump me in the general discussion. No offense to the people regular here, but the general attitude here is the one I dislike and its the reason I mostly try to avoid this place. On the other hand it shows in my personal opinion that I have touched a point where arenanet doesn’t have a true answer for. On one hand those instruments are selling good. I will be the last to ignore that or be happy for arenanet. On the other hand it can be mis-used by people who are unfortunately in our community that are not willing to contribute to it in a nice way. That in itself is a dilemma. The support liason deciding to not answer my honest question gives me some inside how this discussion might have gone in the arenanet board room.

Like I said I like music and I enjoy music, so im not against these things. I think that people who want to practise should coinsider their location, but if you are good enough (and please be open to feedback bout it), do so in public, I like it. There are however (sadly) some who just like to troll. And misusing this is in my opinion as bad as swearing in map chat.

I am happy to see that most people here recognise my concern. It shows this community is better then the debate in the arenanet boardroom.

There has been some very good and solid solutions mentioned here, Im not against player made music. The wintersday bells where (at worse) just a wind chime, not making sense, but still doable. The horn can be mis-used, I hope that arenanet sees the light, but more important I hope the community knows how to keep this game clean.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

griefing with the horns

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Those weird high pitched, I guess bird sounds, grief me every time I’m in The Grove. When I first heard it I thought something was wrong with my air conditioner. Seriously I did. Now they still bug me but there isn’t anything I can do about it aside from not going there or muting the sound.

The Burninator

griefing with the horns

JustTrogdor.7892

hmmm, one part is really angry with gaile, I ask for a formal reaction and instead you dump me in the general discussion.

I’m guessing it was because your issues regarding the unpleasant sounds of the horns is not an issue with your account. Threads get moved all the time when they do not fit into the category of the forum.

The Burninator

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Dervo.9186

Dervo.9186

Hilarious, the ability to mute musical instruments specifically, would be a nerf to the item in your opinion. Sounds like a troll to me. It’s already possible to mute sound effects, which only affect skill effects and musical instruments and probably a few other things as well (maybe minis).

All the proposed change would do is make a lot of people who like hearing skill effects to be able to do so without being annoyed by trolls.

As for those who think that they’re silly noises and I should chillax, realize that some people get migraines which can be triggered by shrill noises. I know, it sounds lame and as a migraine sufferer I think it is lame as well, really wish I wasn’t. But the argument stands that some people are more sensitive than others, so don’t act like you know what’s best for everyone.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Simple temp solution if the horns/bells annoys you just MUTE your sound till you leave the area and it’s not like you are forced to hear the bells/horns.

Why should I have to mute my sound when I’m around idiots that are just going out of their way to annoy people, I like having my sound on, I like being able to hear my character, I don’t like hearing noises that give me a headache. Anet should think of these things before they put stupid shyt like this in-game, people complained about the bells and what do they do, put another, more annoying noise making item in-game. Way to make your players happy Anet.

Endgame? Goes to show what kind of player you are, the kind that sits at the bank all day, I bet you’re one of the bank commanders aren’t you, did you just spend enough time in open world just to make enough for a tag or did you buy gems and sell them for gold to buy one of them to? Do you even know what Endgame is? Cause this game has none. LMFAO, endgame…

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Simple: If someone plays the same note for long enough, they receive an “exhaustion” condition which puts their Vuvuzula on cooldown.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I would like to ask for an official statement, maybe from Gaile.

The newly introduced horn is not something completely new to the game. We have the two pipe organ’s and the bells. However, in my personal opinion the horn has a much more penetrating sound. With this I mean that people who play it badly can be really really annoying. I am also under the impression that there are allready players who are doing it in such public places, like the bank in lions arch, that I’m under the impression they are doing it with the purpose of being annoying (grieving).

I think everyone will agree that the last category is something we shouldnt have in this game, but I also wonder what Arenanet’s stance is on this. Just recently someone was playing the two highest tones alternating like a sirene or an alarm for 10 minutes in the bank in lion’s arch. Can I report these people (if I actually find them due to the culling there).

Don’t get me wrong. I have played lord of the rings online and I truly enjoyed the concerts often given outside the pony in Bree, so I don’t mind people playing it in a nice way. But people should consider however where to practise and people should consider not to grief people with it.

I agree we need a way to mute sounds from other players that are trying to grief us.

I also would like to have a clarification of the term grieving. I’ve always used griefing when talking about griefers and grieving is used in terms of great saddness. Just seems weird that greiving would be correct.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

That idea sucks.

A commander in WvW will attract a group of players, rather sizeable. Had a griefer with a bell follow us around spamming one single note.

Why should I turn down my sound and enjoy the game less just because someone wants to be a jerk a spam a single high pitched note.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: TDC.1627

TDC.1627

[Sarcasm]New Gemstore Item – Earmuffs – for 800 gems you can wear these earmuffs and not hear any of the noses from the Bell or Horn.[/sarcasm]

(edited by TDC.1627)

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

If we get some constructive SUGGESTIONS here, perhaps they’ll move this thread back to where it might receive some consideration.

POSSIBLITY: Give the music-makers a forum. Create lots of pretty BANDSTANDS across the world, both in and out of towns. (Preferably AWAY from the banks and TP and crafting.) Musical instruments can only be heard within a certain limited range of the bandstand. Anyone who doesn’t like the instruments need not go near. Serious artists can jam to their hearts content. Even put on professional performances.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

griefing with the horns

Posted by: GoDaddy.5671

GoDaddy.5671

[Sarcasm]New Gemstore Item – Earmuffs – for 800 gems you can wear these earmuffs and not hear any of the noses from the Bell or Horn.[/sarcasm]

Well said, but Anet may just take your idea seriously. What an absolutely diabolical way to make money: first create the disease (obnoxious horns), then sell the cure (earmuffs).

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

There already are earmuffs! They came out in wintersday.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

Hello, this is me, Person McNormalton. I think the horns are a legitimate method of playing the game and are not nearly loud enough for us to color the world with the lovely hues of SOUND. Please make them louder so that I can enjoy the beautiful music all the time. If I could somehow let these horns start my launcher when I am sleeping in the night so that I could wake to the sound of HEAVEN, I would. Also, I think those people with the horns should be able to move while playing them. Also they need electric asuran guitars.

Think of the childen! We need more instruments, and make them last longer than an hour. Maybe eleventy-bazillion hours.

I think these new additions are swell! Fun for the whole family.
I took junior to see the horn players and golly we had a terrific time we sure did. They played all of our favorite songs with perfect accuracy. I can’t imagine how anyone here would think that these horns didn’t sound like the best thing ever.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

I thought this game encourages people to play how they want? That’s one of the reasons I bought this game, to spam instruments in banks.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

ITT we are angry about virtual instruments.

You should be glad you don’t live close to someone who practices music in real life. What would you do then? kitten at the landlord endlessly?

griefing with the horns

Posted by: WhiteAxolotl.7562

WhiteAxolotl.7562

Ok I was in LA today and yes there was one of those guys spamming the highest note in front of the bank and yes it was annoying as hell and yes it crossed my mind to report him (seriously) and then I thought.. wait a second, what am I doing on the internet if something so little can mess with my feelings in a game.

Game stoopid, quit rage snape kills dumbledore

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

if they touch my horn i want a refund.

for people complaining about the noise just give them a option to turn off horn/bell/costume brawl sounds.

i find the costume brawl skills make a far more annoying noise.

ding ding bash *dododooo thwack pop dododooo thud blublub insert bad joke here dododooo bash ding

griefing with the horns

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

On one hand, I get why people are annoyed. In the same token, I believe people who spend 800 gems on an item shouldn’t be “banned” or get in trouble for playing the horn wherever they want.

If it really bothers you that badly, turn the sound down, or just find another spot in LA to hang out for the next two weeks. The horn blowers will have had their fun by then.

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

and up in another forum——the reason to change the way the horn works—

“I bought it to annoy people with. Single high pitched note in LA, thats me.”

Oh well—many more like him—at least he is honest.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I have to say, it’s not quite the Vuvuzela warhorn that 98.146% of players agreed they wanted, but it’s a positive step towards our goal.

Thank you Anet. * thumbup *

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

They are used like vuvuzela.

Didn’t those things eventually get banned from the last World Cup because they were so annoying? I remember peeps telling me about them and thought, it can’t be that bad. Then when I started watching the World Cup games the first thing I hear is “HHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!” and it lasted for the duration of the entire match

(edited by Paul.4081)

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

STOP LIVING IN LIONS ARCH!!!

There’s other cities to congregate and craft in … Guest to other servers if you have to.

sheesh…

Also, if you think these things are bad you shoulda been around for the YETI INVASIONS!

If I want to live in freakin Lions Arch I will live in Lion’s Arch until they evict me of not paying rent.. And I will craft in Lion’s Arch.. Who are you my dear to dictate where I should live and craft? Nobody that is.. You are a nobody.. I shall do as I please as long as I am not bothering anyone or plotting to do bodily harm to any visiting or resident pixels.. Even as annoying as your pixels may be.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

So those horns have like 900radius? I stop hearing them as players disappear (like culling).

I’m to the point where the moment I hear one I will immediately stop whatever I’m doing and move away from its radius. Personally wish it was 600radius.

Choir bell had a perfect volume for me, but this horn is totally invasive. I for one report as spam whenever I hear someone making sirene sound with it.

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

It would be nice if they could give us packs of vegetables and fruits,
to throw on bad and untalented performers.
After enough is thrown on them,they get a debuff that doesn’t allow them to
play their instrument for some time.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

griefing with the horns

JustTrogdor.7892

It would be nice if they could give us packs of vegetables and fruits,
to throw on bad and untalented performers.
After enough is thrown on them,they get a debuff that doesn’t allow them to
play their instrument for some time.

That sounds like a funny idea and it would be fun. The problem is then people would be griefing the good players by throwing food just because they could. It would be fun though. I have the horn and practice in isolated areas but I’m not very good at it so I’d be on permanent cool down.

The Burninator

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Empressium.5482

Empressium.5482

weird i find the horn is much more less annoying than the wintersday bell spam

griefing with the horns

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

And this is exactly why I bought a vuvuzela IRL, just to grief soccer fans in the pub.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

griefing with the horns

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Ok I was in LA today and yes there was one of those guys spamming the highest note in front of the bank and yes it was annoying as hell and yes it crossed my mind to report him (seriously) and then I thought.. wait a second, what am I doing here if something so little can mess with my feelings in a game.
The item is new and the shine will fade away as will the spammers that are just a little frustrated they can’t play a proper tune.
But, they will learn ànd there will be people annoyed by it.
Only now the trumpeteers payed for their instrument so muting them in towns is a little too much and will cause them to rebel.
So how to give everyone what they want?
Solution:
Keep the sound in all explorables (no brainer really)
Mute the sound in all main cities, BUT (here it comes) except for a stage where they can play their tunes and people can come and listen to them if they want to.
So, no annoying sounds when messing with the crafting or bank etc.
if you miss them just go see em.
Other musicians will gather at the stage stimulating group music and whatnot
Add a vendor that sells flowers and rotten tomatoes, like it?, give em a floral shower. hate it? try to hit them in the face pomodori style!

I like this idea, and I love the thought of adding busking stages to the main cities. Muting the sound in cities is also a good idea, and that would probably help a lot.

In general though, I don’t find the horn all that annoying. I’m rarely in a place for longer than a few minutes, so generally it’s only a few minutes that I need listen to someone fail to play a musical instrument. And, as some others have pointed out, some people actually play very good tunes.

I was curious that the people complaining about a person playing one note outside a bank in LA for hours stayed around there for that long? What takes hours at the bank in LA?

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Anzu.5702

Anzu.5702

I had a dude come right up next to my char and spam one note yesterday in LA while I was viewing the tp next to the MT. His char was twitching and kept turning to face me. Great job anet, another well thought out implementation >_>.

Xarvacious: Guardian | Xarvo: Engineer | Achiles Augustus: Warrior
[HIRE]
TC

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

If you’re going to introduce musical instruments, then I’d say you also need to introduce a separate volume slider for them as well so people don’t have to deal with harrassment.. because let’s face it.. there will always be jerky people out there who abuse this sort of stuff.

Lotro has an excellent player music system (one of the few things they’ve done right :P) and they have a volume slider called “Player Music Volume”. So you can keep all your other sounds yet not have to deal with some hobbit spamming his cowbell in your face. This is one thing I think ANet needs to copy.

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

If you’re going to introduce musical instruments, then I’d say you also need to introduce a separate volume slider for them as well so people don’t have to deal with harrassment.. because let’s face it.. there will always be jerky people out there who abuse this sort of stuff.

Lotro has an excellent player music system (one of the few things they’ve done right :P) and they have a volume slider called “Player Music Volume”. So you can keep all your other sounds yet not have to deal with some hobbit spamming his cowbell in your face. This is one thing I think ANet needs to copy.

Agreed. Hearing someone playing ‘Fear Not This Night’, even haltingly, on a choir bell now and then – great! Having someone blasting high C non-stop for minutes at a time on the horn at the Mystic Forge – not great, please fund my kickstarter for new eardrums.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

not really the effect anet expected is it ?

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

griefing with the horns

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Personally I hate the horn and find it annoying as a rule. That said, it isn’t such a huge deal that I don’t go to these public areas. I either deal with it and think “people will play the game the way they wish and it won’t affect me” or simply turn off the game sound while there. I mean, those people did pay money for it (likely) and are supporting the game I love. If they want to make annoying noise, they’ve bought the right

I will say though, that ONE time so far I actually enjoyed somebody on the horn in LA and they played, very well I might add, the American national anthem.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.