high AP but don't know game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

As others have pointed out, AP means NOTHING except maybe how long you’ve played the game (which has NOTHING to do with your skill level, or knowledge of the game). I have nearly 6k AP and i literally just started running dungeons (aside from doing TA a few times for my legendary)

Why don’t you just, I don’t know, say “anyone new to the dungeon” before you start? I run with people with <1K ap all the time and do perfectly fine because I always explain each part of the dungeon before-hand

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Wylf.2586

Wylf.2586

Am I the only one that smells the stench of troll-sweat in this thread?

in actuality, the dungeon community actually does use AP as a filter for parties, so the main difference is he is asking this question to the larger community. Basically even if this is a troll, it represents an existing situation that is thought to be somewhat true.

Eh, yeah. In WoW they had gearscore for that. People will always gravitate towards stupid number based systems. Easy way to figure out which people I don’t want to play with, I’d say.

’twas right, said they, such birds to slay, that bring the fog and mist.

Nilfa, Asura Thief, Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Actually, as a >15k dungeon master (TA forward/up included), I also behave like a noob in dungeons. If by not being a noob you mean stacking and rushing.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

(edited by Asmodeus.5782)

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I hit 10k AP before I ever set foot in a dungeon… I just never felt compelled to do a dungeon until just recently. There was always other things I’d rather do.

Granted, I’m not exactly a noob, but I had no idea what the bosses did and just winged it. (Admittedly, I was doing it solo for the first half of the dungeon before a guildie joined me, but still.)

My guildie being my father, who at the time had about 9.7k AP, and would be classified as a ‘noob’ by a fair amount of players just because GW2 is a game to enjoy for him, and not something to devote his life to.

Posted by: vpchelko.4261

vpchelko.4261

Eh, yeah. In WoW they had gearscore for that. People will always gravitate towards stupid number based systems. Easy way to figure out which people I don’t want to play with, I’d say.

Dood gear In PvE is basic requirements.You will lie if say that gear is secondary things.
Because most tactics → stand together in a corner and push a button.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Yes.

What part of the game you are playing?

I am interested how people can miss the dungeons.

I have nearly 12k AP and I’ve done the Feb 2013 dungeon monthly, ran the Molten Facility once, and ran AC story once last year. I haven’t really given them a go but I don’t really like the feel of the dungeons in this game so I haven’t gone out of my way to do them. They feel more like a chore than an adventure.

Plus, I dislike grouping with strangers. Trust and drama issues, not interested. Just my little thing, though.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Because most tactics -> stand together in a corner and push a button.

…unless you actually want to try something more fun and challenging. I like doing dungeons with underleveled/not fully geared people. Who never even heard of stacking…

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ack! I must have bought my account (well, I did…two and a half years ago), because I have over 15K AP and I think I have done a total or 3, or maybe 4, dungeon paths in that time. I would not know what to do to save my life. Lol.

Silly AP-yardstick.

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

How it can be. Player with high AP (i,e, high game activity) but don’t know game?
I suspect only 1 thing – these players buy account from account sellers. I do not respect such things.

I expect that player with +5k AP (maybe less) know everything about game.

Noobies with +10k AP very disappointing.

i have 23k AP, i did arah the last time about a year ago, so if i would do arah now i have no idea what to do because of simpel reasons:

1. i have kittening forgotten what to do because its so long since i did it the last time, no idea where to stack where to run what to dodge etc

2. even if i would remember i dont know what changes anet made in the last year, for exampel the spider queen in AC, took the AoE dmg in my face because i didnt know that she was updated and can use it now even in the corner

most of the time i´m doing PvP (trying to get all Champ-XXX titels) or wvw , i´m very seldom in pve because i got bored of it so all the updates are flying past me and i forget most things in dungeons/fractals

so maybe that are some reasons why high AP players are failing in some dungeons/fractals, at least thats the reasons why i fail most of the time

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Op, has it not occurred to you that a player may have built up a lot of AP but is leveling a new profession? They’d certainly seem like a noob if they’re playing, say, mes for the first time after only ever playing guard or thief or whatever.

Btw, I have over 7000 AP but have never set foot in a dungeon It would be correct to say PvE is a major part of the game – it’s THE major part of the game – but you couldn’t possibly say that about dungeons. A part, for sure, but not the major part.

Posted by: HwaRyun.1807

HwaRyun.1807

Ugh, this whole culture of using AP as a measure of one’s ability at the game is beyond dumb, and anybody who genuinely thinks that it means anything in the slightest needs to pull their head out their kitten .

I’m a player with 3.5k AP, and although i run almost every dungeon each day, and do high level fractals regularly, i’m deemed unskilled because of my comparably low AP to those who have been playing the game longer than i have. The fact that i know them all like the back of my hand means nothing if people insist on being clueless elitist kittens when they use the LFG. Not to mention that the amount of AP you get from dungeons is so tiny that it’s a completely irrelevant piece of information to use to arrive at such a conclusion as whether or not a player is good at dungeons anyway.

I genuinely believe that this sort of elitist attitude is one of the main reasons why a lot of people don’t feel comfortable entering dungeons, since it gives off a really toxic impression the dungeon running community before they even enter a path for the first time. It just makes me really frustrated, and it locks a lot of willing, and skilled players out of running dungeons.

I do find the idea a couple of people were discussing on the first page about it being unreasonable to assume a high AP player knows a dungeon well before you start a little funny, though. It’s perfectly logical to assume that a high AP player will know the dungeon simply because they’ve played for a long time, it’s human nature to look at something high ranked, or someone with a lot of time on something and think they know what they’re doing, just as much as it’s logical to see someone with 400AP and assume they’re a first timer. There’s nothing insulting about either of those assumptions, it should be up to the high AP player to let people know they’re inexperienced if they think it’s an issue. I do want to stress that i’m not having a go at any high AP player who is inexperienced, just that of all the sound complaints in this thread, this is the only one that doesn’t really hold any water.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Hey you dont even have to have low ap to be kicked i did a all welcome party in ac, we started 3 man it so we could get to first boss while wating.

The fifth man joins kick the ranger for being a ranger kick the warrior for being in the wrong guild when i ask after he and the other pug kicked them both.
So when he and the warrior started killing spiderqueen saying we dident need more i left.

Joined another party needing people that the same elem joins after 30 sec and then kick me.

I tell the other guys in whisper that they should be carefull of that elem he kick people without reason, they ask me to join back and we finish the run.

So no ap aint the only mesuring stick its peoples warped mind aswell 1 person from that guild is bad i wont play with anyone from that guild pfft.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Hey you dont even have to have low ap to be kicked i did a all welcome party in ac, we started 3 man it so we could get to first boss while wating.

The fifth man joins kick the ranger for being a ranger kick the warrior for being in the wrong guild when i ask after he and the other pug kicked them both.
So when he and the warrior started killing spiderqueen saying we dident need more i left.

Joined another party needing people that the same elem joins after 30 sec and then kick me.

I tell the other guys in whisper that they should be carefull of that elem he kick people without reason, they ask me to join back and we finish the run.

So no ap aint the only mesuring stick its peoples warped mind aswell 1 person from that guild is bad i wont play with anyone from that guild pfft.

they really need to fix the kick system to either be leader only, or require at least 3 people.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Yeah, I’ve got over 9k AP and almost never do dungeons, and have only been in a few. They aren’t all that fun or rewarding, and don’t have enough friends left to run them with.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I have to ask. Which dungeon?

Random dungeon. Does not matter which.

Considering you avoided the question. I’m just going to say you’re just looking for reactions.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

its unreasonable, because AP doesnt represent dungeoneering. Getting AP is mostly about doing dailies, and events.

I assume that anyone who joins the dungeon knows what they’re doing unless they say otherwise. AP (unless it’s <400 or so, in which case I’ll just ask) plays no role in the matter. It honestly doesn’t make sense to think anything else; why would you assume that everyone joining the party has now idea what they’re doing?

I’ve never pugged a dungeon so I don’t know what people say or don’t say. I’ve only read posts like the OP who are upset about people not being a dungeon expert or other posts where people say they got kicked or flamed for not knowing a dungeon completely.

I’ve honestly never seen this happen, and I pretty much only pug my dungeons. As long as you have a slight idea what to do you should be fine. To be honest, though, I myself have been rather short with people who have never done the dungeon before if it becomes apparent and they never said anything about it, since that can cause issues and hold back everyone, and it’s not that hard to let us know so we can tell you what to do.

I sort of know what to do, but not well. If I did pug I would volunteer my lack of knowledge at the beginning but it’s the attitude I’ve seen on the forums that makes me wary of even joining a LFG.

Honestly, you’re seeing the minority of people on the forums. Don’t join “experienced/zerk/whatever” runs, or make your own, and as long as you tell people you don’t know what to do you should be fine.

I also point out that OP said that he believed that if you had a high AP and didn’t know your dungeons then his conclusion was that you were an account buyer. It’s that sort of attitude that there is something wrong with you (a person who breaks TOS in this case) that would make a person hesitant to volunteer that they aren’t a dungeon expert, especially if they do have high AP.

Eh. I don’t really care. I passed 10k AP a couple days ago and have no issues telling people I’ve never done a path before- I’ve honestly never had anyone care in the slightest. I’ve never even heard of anyone thinking something outlandish like the Tkittenil he opened this topic.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

I’m at 18.5k AP and I still haven’t done most of the dungeon explorables yet. Mine’s just relatively high because I log in for dailies almost every day since head start, and was very active during season 1 and racked up a lot of AP from that.

Heh, I’m only personal level 9 in fractals too. Luckily the people in game who have partied up with me have shown me the ropes on parts that I have screwed up on and were never a jerk about it, at least in party chat.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

anet hsould just hide the APs , it does squat jack about anything and instead encourage elitism

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

very interested what triggered the rant.

Had this pretty new warrior today that obviously felt a bit too good about himself because he knows CoF. CoF P2, time to get Magg to his rock across the lava.

He stated “don’t go here, unless you will solo!”, so we all turned around and waypointed. 10 seconds later the same warrior waypoints and goes “wtf is wrong with you?”. As I pointed out, we thought that you wanted to solo. “I was going to, but you all went”. My point then was "it’s easier to ask “anyone wants to solo?” or “I will solo” next time than to be in this mess lol", he responded with “omg shut up noob”.

so without an accurate situation we don’t even know if someone didn’t actually know the dungeon, or whether someone just didn’t play the way someone else wanted them to play. At the same time, perhaps the player was following an outdated strategy? I came back 2 months ago, before that was absent for a year and dungeon strategies have indeed changed.

either way, AP is no way to measure how a person will perform in a dungeon. And not knowing mechanics is easy to fix, bad attitude though isn’t.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

How it can be. Player with high AP (i,e, high game activity) but don’t know game?
I suspect only 1 thing – these players buy account from account sellers. I do not respect such things.

There are still people that judge player ability by AP? There are so many ways to get AP without doing dungeons, pvp, wvw, etc. Always found it amusing back when I used to play (just came back recently) when people looked for a certain AP level to get into a dungeon group.

AP is a bad measurement but its the only one we have

So instead of basing a judgement about how well a player is using a bad measuring device, why not play with them and see how well they do, then judge them?

The “elite” dungeon community often uses AP as a measuring device to restrict certain “unskilled players” from joining their specific speed run groups. (aka. 5k+ AP or kick.) They feel that this is a measure of how long a person has played, and having such an AP score, they can determine if they are going to be a decent player, in that they at least know their class. But as these people are saying, that you can have a huge amount of AP, but not know a dang thing about dungeons, or have a bunch of different alts so that you are not exactly proficient on any single one of them.

I would personally find it rather amusing if the “grandmaster” dungeoneers, the ones who invented the meta, and discovered the processes used to speed clear the dungeons, were kicked from groups and pre-judged because they had a low AP. But thats just me.

That’s some pretty wild misinformation. I’m disappointed considering that I’ve seen you in the dungeon subform a few times so it’s not like you don’t know it exists. You know that that’s not even close to the mentality of the top dungeon runners.

No skilled dungeon runner there even pretends that AP is a measuring device for speed running. Seems to me you already know this but are trying to spread misinformation to the General Discussion sub.

There’s nothing elite about the AP requirement pug groups. They’re just pug groups. They might be better than people who know nothing about dungeons, but not by much. Clearly not by much if they think AP is a reasonable determinant of skill.

They do actually. A lot of those guys play on alt EU/NA account and DO get kicked for having low AP. They get kicked by random crap pugs. Players who can solo Lupi on a Necro faster than a pug can finish it normally can get kicked for playing a Necro.

Just wanted to put this out here because posts like yours are a big part of why there is so much distrust between these gaming communities. I hope that’s not what you were doing but it sure seems like it to me. Let’s not stir the pot up for the sake of controversy.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

I have barely any AP. I just got my 3500 chest not too long ago. I consider myself fairly skilled and my guildies will compliment me on occasion. There are a few people in my guild I recognize as my betters, but I can count them on my hands. That said, I have seen people with easily 5x my AP just stand in bad stuff and get one shot several times in the same boss fight, never learning from their mistakes. AP is absolutely inconsequential to skill. They are completely unrelated.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

10k AP is not high. You could have had 10k 18 months ago, without being anywhere near the top of the AP tables, and then not have played in the intervening period.

And knowledge of specific dungeon path strategies is not skill. Nor is it knowledge of the game. Knowing dungeon paths is simply a matter of imitation, of whoever taught you the effective strategies for that path in the first place. Skill is being able to play well in a completely new or unpredictable situations.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

>20k ap and 4k+ hours, and I honestly hate most dungeons and have hardly done them. I hate the stack+zerk+skip every non-boss mob combo. I really prefer doing fractals.

I’ve done each path once (with an “extra” here or there), just so if a friend wanted to do a random path (like ~1 per month) it would at least contribute something for me. And I’m happy to say I’m on my 7th time through hobby dungeon explorer, and most of those were from SE or AC in the past 2-3 weeks. Actually, once I did every path once, I pretty much ignored dungeons for 1 year+.

My group of friends only started doing dungeons more frequently because one of them wanted a skin for his “creepy skinless plant dude”. We’ve started doing them a little more frequently just because it is (sadly) easy gold. And guess what, we don’t bother stacking (the squishies usually just end up dead or can’t see the AoEs to dodge) and our first dozen runs or so usually ended up in me running in a circle with the boss chasing me, while someone else rez’ed 3 of our dead friends.

With usually some combo of a 5 man group below:
1 knight/rabid war (myself)
1 zerker staff ele,
1 cleric staff ele,
1 soldier staff ele,
1 zerker necro
1 pp thief/rabid mes,
1 soldier guard,

Not optimal? Sure, but we play it to have fun, and bs on Skype while killing stuff together. Hell, we’ve 3 man’ed dungeons instead of having to worry about bringing in someone else – the golems in SE path 2 with 3 people was a pain in the kitten . Hell the only reason I’m running as many dungeon as I have been is because I’m trying to unlock all the dungeon skins before HoT – I need some kind of personal goal to keep me playing – so it’s either 2 months running 3 paths a day or 8 pvp tracks per dungeon. I’m doing a combo in between to keep my sanity.

Of course, if I do join a random group, I will follow suit and stack if they want, but that’s the kind of playstyle that keeps me away from doing dungeons.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I actually enjoyed reading this~~ Calling out people for “Not knowing the game”, when hes using AP as a guide to how skilled/knowledgeable someone is. Most people who “Know the game” know that AP is an unreliable measurement of player skill.

AP is easy to get… you can get a total of 15k from dailies alone. 10 each day from EXTREMLY easy and fast tasks. Also LW/LS provides very fast and easy points, most of which are all easily gotten without ever setting foot in a dungeon.

I’ve been playing since head start, have over 15kAP and I don’t know “everything” about the game.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Knowing a dungeon path != knowing the game.

Dungeons is major part of the game knowledge.

Dungeons are completely optional content. I myself rather dislike instanced game modes like Dungeons and much rather stick to WvW and PvE.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Most people doing dungeons expect you to know what to do. It’s even worse if you have a high AP. They somehow think that means you do dungeons enough to know what to do without being told.

How is that an unreasonable expectation, especially if you don’t say anything at the beginning of the run?

Because there is no direct reason that AP indicate any sort of dungeon knowledge.

Its like saying somebody with driving a huge SUV must be a rap star.
Because there cant be any other way how you could get the money for that, right?

AP doesnt measure anything but how much time somebody has spend on GW2.

Even the people using it because there is no other measurement are making a fool of themselves.

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Total ap from dungeons only: 432
(Dungeons AP tab & Aetherblade tab)
Not counting collections since you can get those done via pvp.

If they are a GW1 veteran player, the hall of monuments section alone offsets the loss of that ap with 68 ap to spare.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Yes.

Easy. A loathing to join pugs and no friends who do dungeons. though, I don’t really miss them…

I’m sitting on 15K points, I have finished all parts of AC and CM, and one or two paths (or story, no idea as the game doesn’t tell me) on some of the others. And the last time I did a dungeon was over a year ago (to get the dungeon tokens for my legendary)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I have 12k ap and dungeon master and pug dungeons and fractals and always look at the ap of my party. I don’t do it to judge their skill but rather to see how many new players are in the game. I’m not a competitionist or an ap obsessed person I play what I enjoy and don’t judge players on skill based on ap. The majority of my pugs are fun and I run with sub 1000 ap to 26000 ap players. I care about a fun run more than an efficient one, perhaps the OP should examine why he plays.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Because there is no direct reason that AP indicate any sort of dungeon knowledge.

Most people doing dungeons expect you to know what to do. It’s even worse if you have a high AP.

I never said it did. Reread the bold bit. It’s not unreasonable at all to expect that people know the dungeon if they don’t say anything in chat.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

26K AP here. I wouldn’t say I’m more skillful than others in any type of game mode, but I do have numerous knowledge related to this game that’s for sure :P

AP point is not the indication of skillfulness yes, but it sure proves that I play the game alot and know my kittens

Posted by: Cypix Kull.5492

Cypix Kull.5492

My name is Cypix, got 19k AP and I’m a noob.

Am I late for the APA meeting?

(edited by Cypix Kull.5492)

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I like to see others AP in parties just to see how potentially old a persons account is. Never really considered it as a measurement of a persons game knowledge. I’ve encountered low AP players that play solely PvP/WvW and very little PvE. Or lower than average AP with legendaries. AP really has very little poor measurement considering if you play a lot in one area you eventually “cap out” in terms of how many AP you are going to earn.

Personally I only have 14.8k AP and have only done 3 story dungeons (AC, Manor, and Arah). Personally I do a lot of the exploration stuff, LS achieves, etc. I’ve never really needed to touch dungeons. If I want dungeon tokens I can just get them from PvP tracks.

I wouldn’t want someone to see my AP and assume I know how to play every dungeon because I don’t. Alternatively, with that mindset, someone could look at my AP and assume I’m not as knowledgeable in other areas because I didn’t do dailies for the first year of their existence in the game or something.

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Yes.

We didn’t miss the dungeons. We simply aren’t that driven to do them.

Primarily because we are often forced to team up with players like you and who with their buddy kicks us off the “open to all” party that we started because we state upfront that we don’t know every path backwards and forwards.

QFT.

I last ran a dungeon over a year ago. I simply have no interest in associating with moronic, anti-social elitists obsessed with AP.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Knowing a dungeon path != knowing the game.

Dungeons is major part of the game knowledge.

Open World is the major part .. after that WvW.

Dungeons are the part that was nearly never spoken about before release .. it was more
like :
okok .. we have some dungeons also because some people simply can’t live without
them .. but thats it.

And it also seems that after they saw the dungeon community in action that they
have finally totally abandoned them.

Btw.: 12k AP .. did Ascalon story and one path once .. thats all.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Dungeons? That has something to do with the closed wooden door icons on the world map, right?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i barely hit the 4K AP yet i am more skilled them most necro players, i see the AP more as a measurement to see how much they are addicted rather then their player skill.
saved more players then died, was seen as unskilled yet saved a whole group from dying, a group with at least 10K AP each.

AP = addiction

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

15k Ap. I’ve done all paths of (I think) CoF, CoE, and TA.
And of course end of Personal Story. That’s it.

They aren’t necessary and, based on the attention, or lack of, they’ve received I don’t believe you can really judge people for not running them

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I got 10k ap, and there are lots of lower than me that are a lot better in every part of the game. AP is something you dont have to do much for, no indication of skill.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I play PvE mostly and do some WvW but I’m still a bunny… my PvP experience is limited.

I have 17k AP… Just to say:" AP doesn’t automatically make you expert in any field."
AP shows you did some of a lot of stuff either once or a few times, It doesn’t give you any guarantee except people have played on that acccount, I have people in my guild who share accounts with moms/dads/or brothers/sisters… and they sometimes join parties while I expect them to be others… Skill can be quite different though, gear remains the same if they also share chars,..

I know all dungeons I like (night set e.g: AC, SE,TA,COF,COE), but need to be carried in CM. as I just do it a few times a year. I have joined Arah melee groups 2 yrs ago but wouldn;t just enter a melee lupi group atm as I am too rusty. Used to do HotW daily 24 months ago like arah, but haven;t been there for over a year, tbh I visit Frostgorge only for achieves, map completion and guild missions and and a occasional Jormag…

Just for the ide this game runs now for 900+ days, if you did daily from start you could be at 9k AP without doing anything but dailies….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: rwolf.9571

rwolf.9571

Arah p3, 500ap player joins in. Pug is about to kick him, I ask if he knows the path; yes. Pug wipes at lupi, he solo’s and kills him.

AP what now?

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

I exclusively WvW, and lately do more SPVP, and I don’t care about Living Story one bit. I do PVE only to help guildies do dungeons and that’s the only thing in PVE I know about. I think zerging doing PVE stuff is for the braindead and dumb and is one of the dullest activities in the game. I am nearing 11k AP; none of my characters have map completion, most are under 10%. I have no interest in anything that has to do with “farming”.

I don’t know the game the way some people think they know it, but please understand that some play the game the way they want to so don’t go around accusing people of buying off accounts somewhere else.

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

AP is a pretty good indicator, up to a certain point.

If a player has less than 1,000 AP, chances are they aren’t going to be familiar with very many dungeon paths. It’s pretty easy to get up to 1,000 AP your first char to 80 over a few days just by levelling (exploring, killing, using weapons, doing the occasional event, etc).

However, as rwolf mentioned a few posts above me, there are plenty of anomalies.

People with second accounts might have a vast knowledge of the game, but very little to show for it on an alt account. I’ve actually experienced this myself- people have a go at you if you’re on a very low level char (with low AP) in PvP.

I have known some very adept newbies in my time as well. If a player has a general familiarity with MMOs/Video Games, they will have a better feel for playing (skill-chaining, tactics, when to drop buffs/debuffs). Some will also watch a video-guide of a dungeon before entering meaning that they have a pretty good idea of what is going on without playing the dungeon before as well.

After this low AP threshold, any sort of basis of “dungeon knowledge” is unfounded.

Because once you’ve gotten to 80, you can do anything you like in game really. LS, PS, WvW, Crafting, Collections and Dailies all give a huge amount of AP and it is very easy to get a lot very fast. If you are an avid AP hunter, you can easily get “reasonable amount” of AP before you learn about meta-builds/dungeon builds, party tactics and the sort.

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

AP is a completely useless indicator of knowledge and skill.

This. AP should be hidden from other players because it fuels elitism.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

But once you’ve gotten to 80, you can do anything you like in game really. LS, PS, WvW, Crafting, Collections and Dailies all give a huge amount of AP and it is very easy to get a lot very fast. If you are an avid AP hunter, you can easily get “reasonable amount” of AP before you learn about meta-builds/dungeon builds, party tactics and the sort.

Eh, I wouldn’t really say that WvW gives a huge amount of AP. In fact, playing only WvW, will probably take you years to get up to even 10k APs.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Arah p3, 500ap player joins in. Pug is about to kick him, I ask if he knows the path; yes. Pug wipes at lupi, he solo’s and kills him.

AP what now?

With so many buying additional or replace accounts, AP doesn’t stand for skill at all.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

AP is a fool’s measuring stick. Anyone who tries to use AP as an experience gate needs to set aside some time to actually think.

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

I’m still trying to figure out how people got to lvl 11 fractals and STILL don’t know what to do.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I’m still trying to figure out how people got to lvl 11 fractals and STILL don’t know what to do.

11 isn’t that high. I always considered 1 to 20 to be noob friendly.

Posted by: Andrax.4576

Andrax.4576

As others have pointed out, not knowing the dungeon has absolutely nothing to do with knowing the game.

The thing is, there isn’t a single time in the game where you have to enter a dungeon. AND majority (if not all) of the AP comes from OUTSIDE the dungeons.

This is why i never use AP as a skill measurement, it is incredibly inaccurate.

Ive heard of people playing on alternate accounts getting kicked from dungeons for low AP, even though they are really experienced dungeon runners.
Then i hear about people complaining that high AP players are bad at dungeons.

expecting 5k+ players to know everything about the game is wishful thinking. I barely scraped the surface of the game at that point.

Rose Osiana [Elementalist]
Gandara EU
[DYE]