is it why NO expansion?

is it why NO expansion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

so you saying. they may not have enough fund to start the expansion project?
So if they need permission for expansion
why Aion updated so quick. new class, new map etc. did NC rater spend money on a old mmorpg then a newer one? or they spend all the money on wildstar?

i though they all independent.

Probably because Aion is hurting for players, so they are trying to entice people to play and spend their money on that game.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

They simply do not need the financial nor player-base boost at this point in the game. (Tho, that may not be the case at the end of LS2 and Wintersday).

An expansion will happen when it is financially needed.

Think of it as Anet’s hole card in a VERY long card game…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: NYG.2568

NYG.2568

You know that the only way they could get enough revenue for an expansion is from buying gems. And that’s only if NC soft allows them too. The money from gems does not go to a-net unless something has changed recently. It goes to NC soft who decides what they want to do with it.

Umm there were No gems in GW1 and by this time 2yrs had sveral expansions. Just saying….
Anet has yet to live up to the every 2 weeks time frame. if you do the math since July1 2014. The beginning of season 2. It has been 15 weeks with 4 episodes averaging 3.75 weeks, almost 1 per month.

Remember we don’t draw on cave walls anymore.Language and texts have evolved since.

(edited by NYG.2568)

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

I hope an expansion does not come. It will only fragment the community.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

They simply do not need the financial nor player-base boost at this point in the game. (Tho, that may not be the case at the end of LS2 and Wintersday).

An expansion will happen when it is financially needed.

Think of it as Anet’s hole card in a VERY long card game…..

Expansions aren’t really completely only something you use for financial gain, it’s something which keeps your game on the radar of the MMO community.

Gaming sites don’t report on patch 1.11 of your game, but if a relatively well-known title announces an expansion, they’ll post it. It generates hype and shows the MMO community your game is still alive and making cool stuff.

is it why NO expansion?

Xae Isareth.1364

Everything they do will fragment the community. New events will pull people away from other events for a while, new zones will spread the players out, heck, just new features will divert people’s attention.

That’s because we’re not a hive mind, and everyone has their own interests.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

Everything they do will fragment the community. New events will pull people away from other events for a while, new zones will spread the players out, heck, just new features will divert people’s attention.

That’s because we’re not a hive mind, and everyone has their own interests.

New events don’t alienate players from massive banks of new content.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Umm there were No gems in GW1 and by this time 2yrs had sveral expansions. Just saying..

The only reason it didn’t have gems was because its cash shop just used plain ol’ dollars instead.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

then they better stop the gw1 project and focus on gw2.

look ! i like the game.

i played since release. i join a guild starting with 100 of players. now only me and one more player still playing. so you can imagine how many player lost.

its been 2 yrs they should really think about have some big change. its not keep changing bit pieces.

just make the expansion, sell it and bring the player back.

wanted to point out a couple of things. The way guilds and loyalties work in this game is not like others. It is so easy to hope guilds, leave guilds, create guilds etc. That unless you have very active leadership the guild could go inactive very quickly.

I was in a large guild formed for the Living Story and two months after it was mad (we had all 500 people many times) the leader stopped repping and people started leaving. Last month the leader up and disbanded all together. That’s not to say people don’t quit or get busy, etc.

I am just saying that Guild Activity is not a good basis on whether or not the game is active. All games have an ebb and floe of playerbase and I see maps filled with people almost all the time. And Heck it doesn’t even take more than 5 minutes on off peak hours to fill most dungeon groups.

I find that it is hard to judge activity and liveliness in a game such as this, but its there teeming with players consuming the content, and I see new players all the time which to me speaks of a healthy environment. I only see it getting better from here now that we have much better systems for sustainability than we did at launch. These things take time, and ANet had some serious fixing to do. Now that its all in a rather good place, they can focus on expanding their world in whatever way they choose to deliver it to us, I will be pleased to see its growth.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

This topic has been on the forums for a long time now… and the topic of an expansion becomes more relevant with each passing day. Bump.

Golden shackles are still golden.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Thor.2516

Thor.2516

There will be no “classic expansion”, because
- if it would cost real-world money a lot of ppl would cry
- if it would be available for gems … well, a lot of ppl would cry

I would be more than happy to throw 50-100 $ at a decent expansion …. but ofc that’s just me. I liked the GW1 model better. Delivers better content and less lottery items, less recycled item, less re-skin, less boosters, less limited use items etc.

And IMHO the Dry Top map is very well done. Marionette was too (just not permanent). Unfortunately that stuff is nowhere near large enough to be called expansion.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

With the “New” Anet’s track record, I don’t even think that I would buy an expansion but rather wait/play new games.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

With the “New” Anet’s track record, I don’t even think that I would buy an expansion but rather wait/play new games.

Anet’s track record is pretty good. I think you’ll find a whole lot of people would buy an expansion.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

then they better stop the gw1 project and focus on gw2.

They have stop developing for GW1 and focus all their attention on GW2.
Anet now has GW1 on auto run and the game basically takes care of itself. They do however have a very small live team left on GW1 to help the remaining players with any questions.

As for new content I see why people are mad that after 2 years their hasn’t been any new big content releases but we really need to stop with the “I want it now!” attitude like in someway Anet owes us something for buying the game and buying gems.

As for the LS, I rather have longer spaced out releases that have more bulk to them rather than slap together every 2 week releases.

I know a lot of people say LS Season 2 sucks and is boring but at least it follows one storyline unlike LS Season 1 that jumps all over the place only to be tied together at the end.

When it comes to expansions, GW1 was easier to make for. You had one race, humans, all professions had their own armor that was made for one race. Skills were easier to make since they weren’t tied to a certain weapon and do to the double professions you could use every skill on just one character granted what professions you were running. New professions was easier to make because again it was only one race to design armor for and their new skills was easier to make. The new stories was easier to make because once again it only involved 1 race.

Now look at GW2. 5 different races meaning armor has to be made to fit and look right on all the races. Skills are now tied to the weapon you use. So if they made new skills they have to find a way to be able to swap the skills on existing weapons like not being able to swap skill sets if you are out in the world and can only do it in a town. New weapons and their skills would have to fit the weapon and fit the professions they can be used by. New professions are harder to make in GW2 since they would have to have weapon skills made to fit them on all the current weapon choices and any new weapons that may be made. New races are more difficult to make in GW2 since they would have to have their own traits and their own utility skills. As for the story it’s made difficult do to the “pick your own adventure” set up. They would have to have their own story line to tie them into the original story or have their own unique storyline that doesn’t involve the original story.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

is it why NO expansion?

Xae Isareth.1364

When it comes to expansions, GW1 was easier to make for. You had one race, humans, all professions had their own armor that was made for one race. Skills were easier to make since they weren’t tied to a certain weapon and do to the double professions you could use every skill on just one character granted what professions you were running. New professions was easier to make because again it was only one race to design armor for and their new skills was easier to make. The new stories was easier to make because once again it only involved 1 race.

I’m not entirely convinced on that. If I recall right, the very reason why Anet abandoned GW1’s skill-picking and the ability to dual-class was to make the game easier to balance, so on this front, it should be actually easier to design new skills because there’s less possibilities and interactions to consider.

If a new profession comes out in GW2, we wouldn’t need new armor models. We don’t have profession-exclusive armor.

In terms of story, your personal storyline for each race was combined together at the second half of the PS, after the Pact arc, so any new storylines would most likely be the same for all races.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

It frustrates me that many players are falling into the same trap that Valve uses to keep team fortress 2 on eternal minimal effort life support.

Rereleasing the same sort of content with a colour change, or word change doesn’t equal “masses of content”. Nobody should be pleased to see the gemstore updated with a green mask, for instance, which is simply a recolor of the red one.

The same applies to the living story, holiday events and the wvw tournaments – all of which are the same thing with parts slightly re-arranged.

New weapons types, new game modes, new dungeon paths. New anything would be good, rather than old things repackaged.

is it why NO expansion?

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

I’m not entirely convinced on that. If I recall right, the very reason why Anet abandoned GW1’s skill-picking and the ability to dual-class was to make the game easier to balance, so on this front, it should be actually easier to design new skills because there’s less possibilities and interactions to consider.

If a new profession comes out in GW2, we wouldn’t need new armor models. We don’t have profession-exclusive armor.

In terms of story, your personal storyline for each race was combined together at the second half of the PS, after the Pact arc, so any new storylines would most likely be the same for all races.

The reason why we don’t get as much skills as in GW1 is probably also to do with how skills are learned and used in GW2 as compared to GW1 than it simply being a balancing issue.

If a new class comes out, it’d have to be one that brings a unique and sensible addition to the array of classes. At the moment, the classes they have already cover pretty much most of the conventional RPG classes that fit into the theme and lore (at least from my perspective). Would it be great to have a new class? Sure, as long as it doesn’t seem half-baked and fits well into the lore.

If they introduced a new race, their personal story shouldn’t be about fighting Zhaitan. If so, they’d not only have to add a new story to that new race, but also change all the stories of the existing races to include this “sixth race”. They wouldn’t have a “representative” in Destiny’s Edge, who introduces the player to the three orders. They’d also have to add/change npc’s from that race to the Pact soldiers to make it more realistic. All this in my opinion shows how unrealistic it is to add a new race with their personal story similar to the original five’s.