keyboard mouse use

keyboard mouse use

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: robert.3475

robert.3475

how do you all use and set up your keyboard mouse to play gw2 and any tips are tricks on using them a certain why pls let me know ty vm

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

What do you mean by a keyboard mouse?

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I use the arrow keys to play most games and always have. I just cannot use the wasd keys to play any game. This is generally how I have my keyboard configured, though I have since moved my skills to the 12 buttons on the side of my Razer Naga mouse and use the keypad for other things.

Attachments:

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

Nostromo + CM Storm Inferno
http://i.imgur.com/jQxfX.jpg

Note that I mapped F1-F4 with Shft+2-Shft+5

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

(edited by stemare.2578)

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Spiderwick.1879

Spiderwick.1879

I use the arrow keys to play most games and always have. I just cannot use the wasd keys to play any game. This is generally how I have my keyboard configured, though I have since moved my skills to the 12 buttons on the side of my Razer Naga mouse and use the keypad for other things.

Oh boy, this is worst than the clickers..

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Spiderwick.1879

Spiderwick.1879

how do you all use and set up your keyboard mouse to play gw2 and any tips are tricks on using them a certain why pls let me know ty vm

Well, I guess, everyone has their own setup they are familiar with and like. I can only share mine.

A, W, S, D for moving
1, 2, 3, 4 and C for weapon skills
R for healing skill
Q, E, F for utility skills
X for elite skill

I use a Razer Naga mouse so 5 for proffesion skill, and variants of 5, 6, ALT-5, ALT 6 on my mouse for more proffesion skills, like when playing an Elementalist or a Mesmer.

Other thins like..

V for dodging
G for auto loot etc

I just hate clicking. Specially in combat.

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Purely in terms of keyboard I switch Q/E and A/D around (so A/D are strafe and Q/E are turn). My heal is Tab, target switching is ~. Slot abilities are ZXCV (I move my WvW key away from V so that I don’t hit it by mistake during combat). Turn off double tap to dodge and bind Left Shift to dodge.

I am considering switching Caps Lock to Right Shift and using that as my target switching instead.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

I only use the keyboard for skills and typing. I have loot, auto run, dodge, hero, guild, tp, inventory, wvw, friends list, pet swap, options and log off all bound to the side panel of my g600 mouse so I can lean back and do almost anything but talk without the hindrance of a keyboard.

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I use the arrow keys to play most games and always have. I just cannot use the wasd keys to play any game.

I’m with this guy. I’ve never been able to use the WASD for movement, making my time in Skyrim particularly difficult, just to name one. I’m not a mouse-looker and always have been at odds with this system, the co-ordination suffers when trying to defeat old habits, so I’ll be one of these people who will always use the arrow keys.

That said, there is no right and no wrong way to utilise movement in GW2, it’s all customisable and each way has it’s pitfalls and possibilites.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Oh boy, this is worst than the clickers..

Care to explain?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Mhmm

f1-f3: for class mechanics
1-2-3-4-5: for weapon skills
6-7-8-9-0: for heal/utility/elite
Z,Q,S,D (azerty): fwd, left, back, right
Right-mouse for steering

Done. Yes I’m able to reach 1-10 without problems by releasing movement and tapping them with thumb.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Tecca.4036

Tecca.4036

1-5: weapon skills
z, x, c, v: utility + elite
w, a, s, d: movement (a and d are strafing left and right, not turning the camera. That’s done with the right mouse button)

e: interact
q: dodge
r: autorun

Most of the rest is default, I believe. This works for me very well since I still have my mobility while activating skills, since all I need to do is bring one finger up or down.

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I am a keyboard user myself and thought the default settings are terrible and cumbersome so I too use my keyboard for 98% of the game and only use the mouse to quickly target, to adjust my camera for more accurate jumps and to look up or down for JPs and last for ground targeting spells as well. With that said, I have my keyboard layed out in such a way that EVERYTHING is very easy to access with my left hand while still being able to keep my right hand on the arrows for movement. Pls not for the best use of keyboard movement turn up you camera movement to maximum setting so you can quickly pan the camera. This setup, I feel, is very intuitive and very easy to get used to and maximizes keyboard effeciency. So these are the main changes:
Arrows:
up,down: forward, backward
left, right: strafe left, strafe right
Keys:
F1-F4: Profession Mechanics (I bind 6 to the F1 also for those that only use F1 ie. thief)
1: Heal
2: Elite (I use 2 for elite to avoid accidentally pressing it while hitting 4 or 6)
3-5: Utility skills
Q,W,E,R,T: these are my weapon skills in order
A,D: turn left, turn right (it’s more intuitive to leave the strafes on the arrows)
S: turn around
7: autorun
X: dodge roll (disable double tap if you use arrows to move, can be a headache)
C: target closest enemy
Z,V: cycle targets previous and next (also rt shift and right ctrl)
Tab: swap weapons
~: call targets
J: stowe weapons

all of the menus I have pretty much left where they were. As you can see, I keep my left hand at the ASDF keys and can quickly and easily execute any combat command that I need while maintaining my left fingers at their ‘comfortable home’ and keep my right hand at the movement keys. The only time my hand ever needs to leave the keyboard is for the few things I mentioned such as casting a ground targeted spell in the heat of battle. I PvP quite a bit and I find never looking down or pressing the wrong keys to be very crucial (I can play perfectly in a pitch black room.) So with that said, give it a try and I promise it will feel like this is how the game was meant to be played: EVERYTHING is at your fingertips with minimal effort to execute commands. Good Luck!

(edited by Tman.6349)

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Instead of WASD, I use ESDF for hand placement and bindings. It takes some practice, but before long, it’s much more natural than WASD since your index finger is on the home row key of F.

Movement: E – Forward, F – Strafe Right, S Strafe Left (no backpedal bound, never use it)
Turning: Mouse
Weapon Swap: D
Skills 1-5: A, W, Q, R, 5
Heal: G
Utilities: Z, X, C
Elite: Y
Profession Skills: 1-4 (I’m an Engineer, so Kit swapping with bottom row, movement middle row, and toolbelt top row allows me to be constantly moving, even when aiming grenades or doing kit combos)
Interact: V
Dodge: Space Bar
Jump: Left Shift
Target: TAB
Social: O
Guild: N
Push to Talk: Mouse 4
Call Target: Mouse 5 (CTRL)

I can never go back to WASD after learning ESDF and having those 3 extra keys of A, W, and Q for additional binds.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I use the default mouse/keyboard settings. Works just fine for me.

keyboard mouse use

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

My setup is probably a good example of how not to do things.

WASD for movement (alternatively LMB+RMB in some situations)
1,2,3,4,5,6 for standard skills
alt 1, alt 2, alt 3, alt 4, alt 5 for heal and utilities (yes, alt 1 and 6 overlap)
On my razer Naga Hex I have elite skill bound to button 1.

I’m slowly adding more functionality to the hex buttons as I get used to them, however having 3 and 6 bound to volume up/down is a convenience thing.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!