Oldgrimm.8521

now that warriors deal 3% more damage per boon,

using this will kill you literally,

a well timed eviscerate or kill shot is huge,

lyssa runes = death

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

That post is almost like a haiku. I like it.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

I don’t know if you’re really thinking that through. Remember, one of the boons is Protection, which cuts incoming damage by 33%. The end result is that the Lyssa rune user might get 8 boons and the attacking Warrior might get a 24% bonus to damage, but the effect of Protection still mitigates that to the point where the Kill Shot does less damage than it would if there were no boons (and thus no Protection) up.

Now, if someone found a way to get every boon except Protection on themselves, then they might be in for some pain.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: knight.8926

knight.8926

this made me laugh
we were just talking about haikus
in my class this morning

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

I don’t know if you’re really thinking that through. Remember, one of the boons is Protection, which cuts incoming damage by 33%. The end result is that the Lyssa rune user might get 8 boons and the attacking Warrior might get a 24% bonus to damage, but the effect of Protection still mitigates that to the point where the Kill Shot does less damage than it would if there were no boons (and thus no Protection) up.

Now, if someone found a way to get every boon except Protection on themselves, then they might be in for some pain.

Another way to read that is protection is the only useful boon now (against boon hate warriors anyway) and loses effectiveness for each additional boon. With the amount of aoe boons going out in this game, this sounds like a horrible idea. Well, maybe regeneration is ok too, as it will outheal the increase in damage still (except for bursts…..).

Please don’t buff me with might/fury/swiftness now, thanks. Yeah, thanks for that extra 9% incoming damage homey….. Having allies apply debuffs to their group…… ho….leeee…kitten…. Who came up with this genius plan?

I vote they rename this elixer to “Suicide by Warrior”: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elixir_B

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

(edited by Thrashbarg.9820)

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Legend.6941

Legend.6941

Well, we know what class anet plays when they’re clocked out.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Necro could use Corrupt Boon before. Lyssa always been a risky rune set to run.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I love all of the people crying over how warriors might now have the opportunity to cut away some of the bunker builds’ huge survivability after being totally ill-equipped to deal with them for all this time.

No really, I love it. As a warrior, this is sweet justice and I’ve been waiting.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Another way to read that is protection is the only useful boon now (against boon hate warriors anyway) and loses effectiveness for each additional boon. With the amount of aoe boons going out in this game, this sounds like a horrible idea. Well, maybe regeneration is ok too, as it will outheal the increase in damage still (except for bursts…..).

Please don’t buff me with might/fury/swiftness now, thanks. Yeah, thanks for that extra 9% incoming damage homey….. Having allies apply debuffs to their group…… ho….leeee…kitten…. Who came up with this genius plan?

I vote they rename this elixer to “Suicide by Warrior”: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elixir_B

If that’s the case, our minor traits in the alchemy tree have just turned into suicide by warriors. You might now end up seeing bunker engies go more in the invention tree line instead of alchemy treeline if boon hate does end up being a threat.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

If that’s the case, our minor traits in the alchemy tree have just turned into suicide by warriors. You might now end up seeing bunker engies go more in the invention tree line instead of alchemy treeline if boon hate does end up being a threat.

suicide if you will not add protection boon

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Engineers don’t have as many options for protection as for other boons, and even those options are very short duration compared to the uptime on most every other boon.

They are hardly the only class that will be hurt, I just used that example because it is a skill that would give a 12% increase in damage received (at +3% per boon), and for the boons it does give, would make this skill less than worthless in any fight with a boon hate warrior.

On my elementalist, I don’t run bunker build, my uptime on protection sucks compared to every other boon (minus stability) but I do have several boons most of the time. This is another nerf intended to weaken bunkers against damage dealers, but it’s actually making everything except full bunker less viable. Gotta stat for more protection uptime now just to survive, bunker build here I come (just kidding, more like elementalist retirement home and warrior reform school here I come….).

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

People are seriously blowing this out of proportion. The Necro has had tons of boon punishment since the game began and has never been overpowered in PvP except in beta, where they were an insanely… good… bunker. And there boon punishment was (and still is) largely useless.

This may help against the bunker problem, or it may make a new OP class, or it may do nothing at all. The third is most likely in my opinion.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It won’t be too bad. As soon as you pop the boons a thief will try and steal them or a necromancer will corrupt them or something like that will happen.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Wesley Of Florin.2150

Wesley Of Florin.2150

this made me laugh
we were just talking about haikus
in my class this morning

Let me see if I can fix this for you:

This made me chuckle
We just discussed haiku art
In class this morning

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

People are seriously blowing this out of proportion. The Necro has had tons of boon punishment since the game began and has never been overpowered in PvP except in beta, where they were an insanely… good… bunker. And there boon punishment was (and still is) largely useless.

This may help against the bunker problem, or it may make a new OP class, or it may do nothing at all. The third is most likely in my opinion.

Necros/mes simply take away your boons. But you aren’t punished for having them. Now, you’re getting punished for having multiple boons. It’s as if your discouraging boon-based builds.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I hate how people are crying over the boon trait without actually knowing the exact numbers when factoring which trait line it is from, and which traits it would replace.

GoGoGo Sandwhichmancer!

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

We are all doomed. Soon Warriors can invest deep (probably) in one trait-line to get 6-12% (my estimation) more damage when there are traits with constant 10% damage boost.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

lyssa runes = death

Conncept.7638

Necros/mes simply take away your boons. But you aren’t punished for having them. Now, you’re getting punished for having multiple boons. It’s as if your discouraging boon-based builds.

Uh, no they don’t, how much have you played a Necromancer? Necros have abilities that take your boons and turn them in to conditions, that’s punishment for having boons. Additionally, Necros can turn boons into conditions, take those conditions, and then consume them for really really impressive heals.

Mesmers have abilities which remove boons and place them on allies, that’s boon punishment, your enemy gets more powerful because you are using boons, and you are getting weaker. But honestly the mesmers has so many jacked up defensive mechanics these abilities are almost completely ignored. Why lower someone’s damage when you can just mitigate it completely?

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Its not like a necro attack has a boon removal that also deals dmg.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

One thing to keep in mind is that Boon Hate will be 30 into the Discipline line….I dont know of any warriors in my guild that run that far into the line.

The only time this will be beneficial to the point that its OP is having one or two warriors in WvW specifically looking for players with a ton of boons on.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

now that warriors deal 3% more damage per boon,

using this will kill you literally,

a well timed eviscerate or kill shot is huge,

A well timed kill shot will be blocked by Aegis fortunately.

Not saying I like the free 20% damage bonus warriors just got versus elementalists though…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

lyssa runes = death

Conncept.7638

One thing to keep in mind is that Boon Hate will be 30 into the Discipline line….I dont know of any warriors in my guild that run that far into the line.

The only time this will be beneficial to the point that its OP is having one or two warriors in WvW specifically looking for players with a ton of boons on.

I think what they’re trying to do is make it useful in SPvP for anti-bunkering, not sure if it will work, but we’ll see I guess. I think it’ll be useful against Ele bunkers, because they by default stack might and other boons, but Guardian bunkers are only dependent on regen and Protection.

But where did you hear about it being in the discipline line? It’ll be completely bleeding useless there for an anti-bunker build. It needs to be in in either Strength or Arms, that way it can work off a condition build.

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

Apparently that’s what Signet of Might will be for. Unblockable, boon-hating sniper rifle. HEAD SHOT.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Apparently that’s what Signet of Might will be for. Unblockable, boon-hating sniper rifle. HEAD SHOT.

Didn’t know that. Now I’m really against this change.

Then again, I already was against it when they first anounced it. Why not add more boon stripping or make boons harder to apply?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Its unlikely for someone to have fully stacked boons often, its kind of rare. So the full 27% damage will be rarely seen.

Guardian applying boons will be like them giving their allies stacks of vulnerability lmao.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

only against boon hate warriors.. which is fine.

How many of you actually have played with the new trait and made a build around it yet? How about we test it out before we play the jump to conclusions card.

The sky is falling a different warrior build might be viable!

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

Will the damage translate to AC damage?

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

Even with the full 27% boost, one of those is a -33% reduction in damage, since protection is strong as kitten. Finding it hard to feel sympathy. =p

lyssa runes = death

Aza.2105

Even with the full 27% boost, one of those is a -33% reduction in damage, since protection is strong as kitten. Finding it hard to feel sympathy. =p

The boon duration for lyssa’s runes last only 5 secs. Its not a big deal, since one doesn’t have to use the set. For guardian however, its a big deal. The majority of guardian skills provide boons, so now they will effectively debuff themselves against boon hate warriors.

I don’t have a problem with counter builds, however I have a problem with the lack of choice in gw2 compared to the original. If a warrior spec boon hate or unblockables, I could just change to something different to counter that build. In gw2 this isn’t the case and guardian players will be stuck debuffing themselves until the devs decide to do something about it.

Its probably a good opportunity to look at how they can start introducing some variety with each class.

Windows 10

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

from now on this post is about Haikus

here is a bad one.

More nerfs! dev says
all the warriors rejoyce
like cherries in bloom

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

People are forgetting that you have to invest 30 into discipline to get boon hate, which is arguably too much investment for the return. You’d be missing out on a lot of much better traits in the first two lines by doing that. Reality is that this will change nothing until they make the secondary boost for the Discipline line something useful (+3% burst damage is laughable).

While they’re at it, they’re going to need to make the Versatile Power minor trait more useful. 1 stack of Might on weapon switch is downright unfortunate.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

The boon duration for lyssa’s runes last only 5 secs. Its not a big deal, since one doesn’t have to use the set. For guardian however, its a big deal. The majority of guardian skills provide boons, so now they will effectively debuff themselves against boon hate warriors.

I don’t have a problem with counter builds, however I have a problem with the lack of choice in gw2 compared to the original. If a warrior spec boon hate or unblockables, I could just change to something different to counter that build. In gw2 this isn’t the case and guardian players will be stuck debuffing themselves until the devs decide to do something about it.

Its probably a good opportunity to look at how they can start introducing some variety with each class.

After this long of being sick of all of the brainless boon bunker builds, I’m okay with guardians taking a hurting until Anet figures out an alternative. They can spend a little time feeling like warriors. The next guardians I see in WvW expecting to face tank my high damage with little effort like before are in for a very rude awakening.

But yes, variety would be nice.

lyssa runes = death

Aza.2105

After this long of being sick of all of the brainless boon bunker builds, I’m okay with guardians taking a hurting until Anet figures out an alternative. They can spend a little time feeling like warriors. The next guardians I see in WvW expecting to face tank my high damage with little effort like before are in for a very rude awakening.

But yes, variety would be nice.

Guardians go bunker in pvp because the other specs just aren’t very good. They can do damage yes, but its dps, not burst. Traditionally in pvp, dps is far inferior to burst damage. Another problem is, with guardian smart players just run away from them. So you end up not being able to do damage. With no valid ranged weapon option, guards tend to get forced into a bunker role.

In pve its different, mobs do not run away and tend to face tank the players. So guardian’s other specs are ok.

Windows 10

lyssa runes = death

Conncept.7638

Guardians go bunker in pvp because the other specs just aren’t very good. They can do damage yes, but its dps, not burst. Traditionally in pvp, dps is far inferior to burst damage. Another problem is, with guardian smart players just run away from them. So you end up not being able to do damage. With no valid ranged weapon option, guards tend to get forced into a bunker role.

In pve its different, mobs do not run away and tend to face tank the players. So guardian’s other specs are ok.

Eles go DD Bunker for the same reason, nothing else to do in PvP, and they’re getting gutted for it. Most people that pick up an Ele do not imagine tanking when doing so, and are quite disappointed when they find that’s all they can do.

The build needs nerfs, I’m not denying that and I main an Ele, but doing so without any buffs anywhere JUST before a hiatus on PvP balance is incredibly short-sighted on part of the devs.

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

Then more changes are necessary – and coming. Warriors get stuck with awful PvP for the longest time, but when they finally get something to deal with the comparatively OP nonsense all of the other classes have to offer, people act like the sky is falling. Oh no! One of the tankiest classes in the game might take varying amounts of extra damage from boon hating warriors who have to invest 30 points into a single trait line! Elementalists might not be able to go invulnerable and fully restore themselves or run from a fight easily when they screw up!

I find it hilarious.

(edited by Sil.4560)

lyssa runes = death

Aza.2105

Then more changes are necessary – and coming. Warriors get stuck with awful PvP for the longest time, but when they finally get something to deal with the comparatively OP nonsense all of the other classes have to offer, people act like the sky is falling. I find it hilarious.

Yes and this is the problem “getting stuck with a spec”. There was no such thing in gw1.

Windows 10

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

Well, considering it hasn’t even been a year since launch, I’m not really that surprised I guess?

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Let me fix this for you:

BOONS, HEADSHOT!

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

lyssa runes = death

Conncept.7638

Let me fix this for you:

BOONS, HEADSHOT!

That would be an awesome name for a sniper build

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

The reason is because ANET definition of a warrior, is a class that cannot deal with enemy boons or conditions, so it must go through them and get help from alies to remove its own conditions. This was stated long ago. I’m glad they are finally addressing this.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

lyssa runes = death

Aza.2105

The reason is because ANET definition of a warrior, is a class that cannot deal with enemy boons or conditions, so it must go through them and get help from alies to remove its own conditions. This was stated long ago. I’m glad they are finally addressing this.

Yes this is true, but they also state:

Guardian
The Guardian is a heavy armor class who relies on boons to make up for their low levels of innate health. They focus on area control and punishing enemies for the position on the battlefield. We want them to feel very powerful when their boons are active, but if those boons are removed, they will start to feel pressure.They can remove conditions more easily than the Warrior, but share the Warrior’s need to be in melee range to dole out maximum damage.

Windows 10

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

I guess it’s the difference between “very powerful” and “overly powerful”. A fully boosted boon hate damage buff is still less than what protection offers. I’m sure it’s not the end of the world. And if it proves to be too much, well, they’ll change to something else. Warriors have had to deal with the bunker guardian crap for ages now. I’m sure the guardian community can survive being steamrolled for a month or less by warriors in the unlikely event that comes to pass. They’re still in the process of tweaking things.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

The point is that a boon should be a positive modifier while it’s on a character, not buffing enemy damage. As an ele, all of my builds rely on boons, bunker or not, to work well. That’s just how the class was made. So that would pretty much be a global survivability nerf if it’s introduced as a trait, and that usually just makes people bunker more.

Of course that’s an “if”. Hopefully it’ll just be a new mechanic to a skill or two, but I didn’t watch the full SotG, so idk if they said what it’ll be. Also, it won’t be too much concern for meta if it’s only given to warriors, seeing as they’re one of the weaker pvp classes atm anyway, so they’ll just finally get a place.

(edited by Navzar.2938)

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: JudgeD.5673

JudgeD.5673

I use Lyssa rune on my eng, and I have more trouble with thieves, d/d eles, and mesmers than with rifle warriors. YMMV though I guess.

The Robertsons – Julie, Lyana, Adrian, and Lewis
CrSy/LaWz
Tarnished Coast Server (formerly of Kaineng)

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

I was under the assumption that the boon hate extra damage thing will pretty much just be a warrior deal, so boons don’t become some sort of hindrance like people are terrified they will be. Necromancers can already corrupt a full stack of boons into a horrible disaster of conditions, so it’s not like this is a completely new thing.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I can’t believe they’re going through with “boon hate.” The thieve’s change is interesting. It’s a bit of an arbitrary addition to the set but it’s at least going to change the playstyle. Increasing warrior dps (through a trait no less) to fix the issue with boon stacking is not only unimaginative but also does very little to address the issue; it’s attempting to address an issue where boon classes are build-locked into a playstyle that involves stacking boons by locking warriors into a build trait. Eles and guardians can’t even fight normally without having at least 2-3 boons on their character and party members at a time. Is their intent to discourage these professions from doing things?

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Engineers don’t have as many options for protection as for other boons, and even those options are very short duration compared to the uptime on most every other boon.

They are hardly the only class that will be hurt, I just used that example because it is a skill that would give a 12% increase in damage received (at +3% per boon), and for the boons it does give, would make this skill less than worthless in any fight with a boon hate warrior.

On my elementalist, I don’t run bunker build, my uptime on protection sucks compared to every other boon (minus stability) but I do have several boons most of the time. This is another nerf intended to weaken bunkers against damage dealers, but it’s actually making everything except full bunker less viable. Gotta stat for more protection uptime now just to survive, bunker build here I come (just kidding, more like elementalist retirement home and warrior reform school here I come….).

Protection injection. A warrior should not be anywhere near you unless he disables you first. That disable should proc protection injection.

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

The only boon hate thieves gained is that flanking strike steals a boon instead of just deleting it and the placement of destruction of the empowered means warriors are most likely giving up a fixed 10% damage trait to get it. I don’t really expect to see warriors or thieves use their boon hate anywhere other than bunker busting in tpvp.

lyssa runes = death

Sil.4560

I’ll probably use it to annihilate people who misstep in WvW. =3

lyssa runes = death

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

Here’s my impression, just based off reading posts.

Anet seems to want people into the lesser used builds in order to “diversify” the builds. But in the process, they end up destroying (or removing altogether) the most used builds. The end result is that the class affected now has less (viable) builds available for them compared to when they started.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer