[merged] Rising amount of spammers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

Hey,
im currently facing a vastly rising amount of spam whispers in chat. I allways report the spamers and block them, but it seems they have an infinite amount of accounts. Every day i am wispered 1-3 times per hour.

The spammers are all “working” for the same website… So the spam text is allways the same.. “Buy our gold and get free christmas money”

Am i the only one that noticed that? Whats your experience? How are you guys dealing with that?

To the devs: Would it be possible to add aditional spam filters for he chat that prevent this? Any chance to perma ban the gold buyers (The real problem)?

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

My block list is getting quite large now, it had no participants at all last month. Every single one are whispering gold sellers.

Attachments:

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Not really seen a rise, have had 2 whispers of selling since headstart one yesterday the other 6 months ago. Much less mail spam now than a year ago.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have had one total, some time ago. Guess I’m just not interesting enough. Lol.

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

I have had one total, some time ago. Guess I’m just not interesting enough. Lol.

Havent looked up your name, but..
They have to get the names from anywhere, i think they get them from the leaderboards or from the forums…
So if you get less spam, are you in any leaderboards?

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol, if they get them from the forums, why would I need to be on the Leaderboards?

I’m just ‘special’. =P

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I average about 3 to 4 whispers from gold sellers a month. Keep wasting time sitting in LA instead of out in the field and it will only rise. {:-þ

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I’ve had to report 3 in the past week contacting me via whisper, versus zero through that method before. Very annoying!

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Two or three per day lately, and 4 so far today. Just keep reporting.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Only thing i need is: “clear chat history” or “delete this message” button.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I usually see a gold seller in LA every day. A different one every day, of course. I report and block. Takes 2 seconds. I did notice that when I was in the PvP mists that it was pretty bad. Whispers and map chat. That was quite annoying.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: KumajirouSan.3527

KumajirouSan.3527

So I’ve noticed a HUGE increase in spam-bots recently. Y’know, those lvl 2 characters with randomized names like akhjaek or pyabr. Me and my guild mates can’t go a day without being whispered by one telling us to go buy some gold or give our account details. I know there’s not much that can really be done but it’s starting to become an issue, there’s gotta be some way to make the game a little more secure, right? Some more verification, quicker report response times? Just thought I’d put it up here as it’s getting really annoying. >_<

Posted by: kusosama.1346

kusosama.1346

They should be able to analyze heatmap usage of maps from known bots/gold sellers to analyze a pattern and then after verifying accounts they can ban those MAC/IP addresses.

Still the problem becomes a false positive nightmare along with the issue of anonymizer usage.

Basically discovery can be quite difficult.

I’ve dealt with false positive banning before and was none too pleased by it. So be careful what you ask for.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Doesn’t Anet claim to have a program that detects bots? Tonight I was whispered twice within 1hr by the same guy and reported them both times. My guild mates also reported that they have been whispered in WvW which could explain why JQ is always in queue on every map.

KumajirouSan.3527

I reckon if you post the exact same message in the exact same map like… 5 times in 15 minutes it should be checked out by an agent. That way, No unfair bans and less bots.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

There are no bots compared to a year ago. Literally, over night, one fateful day, ~35000 bot accounts were nixed all at once. Not surprisingly, prices in the trading post started to spiral up at about the same time.

Posted by: AngelMouse.7345

AngelMouse.7345

My guild mates also reported that they have been whispered in WvW which could explain why JQ is always in queue on every map.

Not really. If you block them you can see what map they are on. Most of the time when I get these whispers in WvW the bot is in LA.

“Sometimes, in madness resides genius.”

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

ip ban is worthless, most home connection have dinamic ip address and this mean that if you switch of the router you actually get a new one.
Mac ban is technically impossible, when an ip packet pass through a router the source mac address is changed so you won’t actually see the pc mac address (for dummy explanation).
the only way the could have to perma ban is to use nasty litle softwares that read a lot of info on your computer like hardware id and so but nobody really wants that.
if a bot can afford to lose the account a ìnd buy again the war is lost, only way is to be quick enought banning not to be worth anymore…
But i can bet my kitten that 90% of the accounts are hacked, probably of ppl not playing anymore.
only way of trully fight bots is quick ban and mandatory RSA based autentication at every log in, (like the one you can chose to have right now).

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I honestly don’t know why there is a market for gold sellers in this game. You can buy gold straight from A-Net with no risk of being banned, so why would you turn to the gold sellers?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I agree, making RSA auth. mandatory instead of optional would nip this problem in the behind pretty hard.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

I have also been getting a lot more whispers lately. All I can say is:
Just keep reporting and blocking. Anet will ban the accounts. Gold sellers will buy new accounts = more money for Anet.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

My block list grows by 2-3 pretty much every day now. I block & report every time. It’s getting worse and needs to stop.

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

Latinkuro.9420

I agree, making RSA auth. mandatory instead of optional would nip this problem in the behind pretty hard.

Blizard had to do the same for D3, basically they said only rsa protected accounts were gonna be refounded in case of hacking,.
Id make it mandatory, who doesn’t have an iphone or android nowdays?

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I get them multiple times daily. I’ve never bought gold (no reason to). There def. has been an increase. Just keep reporting them.

We definitely need to work on this situation, and from what I understand, we have a few recommendations and thoughts about how to ease RMT (gold seller) harassment via whispers.

If we had a means to remove those spammers instantly, we’d do it. But because we want to — and need to — verify each report, it can take time to nail the… I mean “address the issue.” ~ahem~

Please DO know that your reports are recorded and if an agent can’t “take out the garbage” instantly, he or she will do so as soon as possible. Please DO keep on reporting, and know that we sincerely appreciate your taking the time to do that.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Gold-Sellers-1/first#post3310889

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Its a real annoyance. I hope they’re working on something and that they at least tell us that they’re on the case.

SBI

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

They come in waves.

The other day I had 3-4 in the span of a couple hours. Haven’t had one since, though.

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

get rid of the gold sellers and bring back the chinese gold farmers and the botters. god i miss stacks of t6 mats for 10g.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I have also been getting a lot more whispers lately. All I can say is:
Just keep reporting and blocking. Anet will ban the accounts. Gold sellers will buy new accounts = more money for Anet.

Usually those accounts are stolen. Big headache for ANet.

Best thing is to block/report so ANet can collect info to help them track down locations.

And yes, it’s really annoying to get them with that frequency. Especially in WvW.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Yeah, this is getting a little annoying. I don’t even know how they find me.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

Driving me NUTSSSSSS!

A couple hours ago, one whispered me (that’s happening A LOT now). I reported, and put it on block. Checked a few minutes ago to gaze upon my ever-growing block list, and it is still in Defense of Shaemoor (where it was when it first whispered me).

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

Doesn’t having more gold sellers mean that GW2 is still very popular and desirable?

Don’t get me wrong sure their spams are annoying but it’s just nice seeing people still selling gold in the game

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Ummm nope, to me it just means more accounts are getting hacked. Protect your accounts guys!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Menzzo Berranzan.8379

Menzzo Berranzan.8379

i’m not sure these accounts are hacked at all, i have had 4 whispers in the last 1/2 hour and when choose to report, the window i am presented with contains the account name not the character name (and i don’t believe one is able to change that, as one can change a character name). Without fail all these account names are a random group of letters such as hgdgfgr and i do not believe for a second that most players pick account names like that. We pick account names based on real world language that have personal meaning to us.

KumajirouSan.3527

Gotta agree with Menzzo, Seems to me they’re giving ANet hundreds of thousands by buying accounts. xD

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Or, they have access to an illegitimate key-maker. There are plenty of Dev posts on how bad gold-sellers are for the game and the company.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Gotta agree with Menzzo, Seems to me they’re giving ANet hundreds of thousands by buying accounts. xD

Since usually stolen or faked credit cards are used the company losses does not gain.