new building skill and player owned houses

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

so this is my idea for a new skill (1-500) for a skill that lets you build your own home. we need a skill like this because every skill in the game so far is very much the same just with different output, just stand still and craft over and over. this building skill will allow us to produce our own customized works of art and benefit from them with skills and buffs aswell as show off our acheivments with portraits and display cases for our weapons.. of course all building requiers materials and each thing you build will draw on resources you have gathered and bought in new ways, ensuring that old items get used more often and popular items have new uses.
HOW TO GET STARTED? the home npc
outside of every home instance will be a new building npc. they will sell basic supplies that cant be gotten anywhere else like all skill npc such as nails, room contracts (allow you to add another room) and more. this NPC will also toggle your house from public to private and visa versa (u cannot build while your house is in public) the most important feature of this NPC will be the social aspect, u can talk to them to join a friend’s house or join a random player’s house (u cannot enter a house that is in private mode) you can also pay for advertising which would bump your house way to the top of the random join quere and have big house parties!

this skill would also invovle alot of new exotic crafting materials like diamonds and marble blocks and stone blocks and a few new ascended for the 400 to 500 stuff such as ether nails and crystal blocks
the following is a list of concept ideas for different types of rooms and what would go in them please feel free to add your own suggestions
HALLWAYS
this is your standard connective room, its cheap to build and it comes in many shapes to suit whatever needs u have, corner, long or just a simple square ect ect. hallways would be filled with your bragging rights and decorative features, lets start with the floors first. CARPETSS strictly decorative, from lv 1 where you just stitch a few of those salvagable animal plets together to around level 50 or so where you start making them out of wool to intricate design patterns (maybe made with insignias?) around level 200 and gold trimmed gossamer carpets at 400, and at 500 a series of god carpets that display your affection for your diety. PICTURE FRAMES pictures need two things, a picture and a frame (duh) you comission the picture from a painter and you build the frame yourself, you can make varying levels of frames based on your level but the pictures require certain acheivments, for example you can get a picture frame of the loading screen for a map if you have 100% completed it. you can also comission an expensive portrait of yourself in your current armor! DISPLAY CASES this is where you show off your stuff and your wealth. display cases can have suits of armor and weapons but you cannot place a transmuted weapon in the case and there is no way to get it back even if you destroy the case. at higher levels you can build bigger cases where you can display an entire set of weapons (of the same skin set) you can also build display cases with luck to show off your 300 magic find and other cases to show off completing every jumping puzzle
DINING ROOM/BANQUET HALL
this is where you eat food and lay out food for your guests, it also has a fire place and various sword/shield displays on the walls. the higher your level the bigger and longer you have the option of making this room till it eventually becomes a grand throne room. the throne is the most expensive thing in this room and can start off made of just wood and fabric like silk around level 250 (when a dining room first becomes a banquet hall) and to stone and gold around 350 and to gem encrusted marble by 450 and finally a glowing crystal masterpiece by 500.
LIBRARY
full of books as you might expect, but also maps and orbital displays and star charts and a teleporter chamber. books shelves store knowledge of your adventures and random statistics about your character such as how many rare items you have gotten as drops, but building high level book shelves can produce a tome of knowledge generator which will leave you with tomes of knowledge on your bookshelves every once in a while. also a rare book focus skin and rolled up map as a sword can be found in them also (rare). maps show you where you can go and building larger more ornate maps will let you select teleport destinations for your teleport room (which can take you certain distances based on how advanced a teleporter you build (im thinking teleporters will be made with various wood at low levels then stone/crystal at high levels and at all levels require some ecto) your probaly thinking “why we have waypoints” but teleporters would have exclusive destinations that cant be reached from waypoint…..maybe even a new explorable area only available to high level builders? hmmmm?

Duke Nukem.6783

PET ROOM
i wasnt sure about this one but it might be a nice spot to keep all of your bets but it begs the question are houses account bound or soulbound? id say account bound because of all the money you would put in them. they could simply be accessed from any home instance. ANYWAY pet rooms would contain a variety of different enviornments (again the size of your pet room depends on your level and if you want to buy the bigger rooms) and you can keep all your unlocked pets (and mini pets maybe?) in this room so you can visit them all at once, you can also build habitats and houses for them like ponds and rock huts and plant trees for birds to roost in, maybe even raise new unique pets from infancy to the age of fighting at your side.
CHAPEL
a room to show off your faith, it has space for lavish carpets down the center and pews on each side (pretty much all sitting furniture follows the same pattern of wood→higher teir wood→even higher tier wood with gold trim→highest teir wood with gold trim and jewels) and pillars around the edge of the room (stone first then fancier stone then marble, then marble with gold trim, then crystal and then colored crystal) stained glass wyndows can also be made although i cant think of how we would get the glass, maybe glass could be a purchasable item and it would require unid dyes in the creation of the windows. the most important piece of this room is the altar, you can pick from any of the human gods, the flame legion’s fire gods, bear wolf and raven norn spirits and the asura’s grand alchemy. altar’s start out as cheap and ugly and finally work their way up to beautiful places of power. praying at a fully upgraded altar lets you sacrifice 4 weapon/ armor skins for a chance at getting one back just like the MF but here you also have a chance of getting a new set of skins based on which god the altar is aligned to! one full set for each god (i know thats a little ambitious) depending on which god the altar is aligned to the room will change. like banners for the god will hang down and the stained glass will show different images.

(edited by Duke Nukem.6783)

Duke Nukem.6783

DUNGEON
im excited for this room becuase it would add a huge dynamic aspect to houses, it could be pvp and pve at once or just one or the other. but it would be full of traps that you build yourself, some player activated and some automatic, aswell as monsters that you buy and place. dungeons can also have treasure rooms that can be filled with different types of chests, low leveled chests need to be filled with rewards by the house owner but high leveled chests can also give unique and impressive new weapons/armor or house materials
DUNGEON HALLWAYS
just like regular house hallways but not filled with decorative stuff. bones and skulls can be used to make ambient skeletons and blood vials of all sizes can be used with walls to make blood smears of varying sizes but thats it for decoration. TRAPS: floor spikes-made with steel bars and clockwork- these spring out of the ground when you walk over them. WALL SPIKES made with clockwork mechanisms and many more steel bars and activated by switches these spikes deal much more damage and come out of the walls crushing and impaling other players. TRAPDOORS made out of wood and watchwork mechanisms these can be automatic or switch controlled and open a door to a pit of water (or spikes) that the player will have to jump back to the top of to get out, water can be filled with sharks, baracuda, or a new disembodied tentacle monster! FULL DARK TRAP made from runes of the sunless and grenth runes this causes a section of the dungeon to go totally black and cause damage to anyone who walks into it without a torch.
TREASURE ROOM
just like other dungeon rooms and of varying sizes can be filled with some boss monsters both unique and from other areas of the game

Posted by: Kronus.6048

Kronus.6048

+1 and I totally agree with that idea

Posted by: Kain.7809

Kain.7809

Yep, I agree with this too. : )

Duke Nukem.6783

thanks if you have any thing to add like a new room id love to hear it

Posted by: cooperjer.6180

cooperjer.6180

I bought a house in RL last year and have been increasing my personal home building skill this last year. Because of this, I find this idea intriguing. The part that interests me the most is the furniture building. The furniture provides utility and storage space beyond the current normal capacity of food and the bank. In addition, tools such as a crafting table or mystic forge could be placed in the home.

I like the idea of a teleport device in the home. Ideally it provides a slightly less costly way to move around the world map. In addition, it provides a way to move back to a home location, which loads faster than a city, to work on crafting and storage after running around the world for the day.

Also, being an engineer, I like the idea of designing and building stuff that I can take pride in.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i just want more things to put in my home instance as the game gets older

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

This has been suggested I one form or another in several threads the only way this can remotely work is. If they sold plots of in game land in the gem store unfortunately this idea and type of in game housing takes a lot of server space and they would have to pay for the added servers some how, i f you ever ran a Minecraft server then you know what I’m taking about.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Duke Nukem.6783

I bought a house in RL last year and have been increasing my personal home building skill this last year. Because of this, I find this idea intriguing. The part that interests me the most is the furniture building. The furniture provides utility and storage space beyond the current normal capacity of food and the bank. In addition, tools such as a crafting table or mystic forge could be placed in the home.

I like the idea of a teleport device in the home. Ideally it provides a slightly less costly way to move around the world map. In addition, it provides a way to move back to a home location, which loads faster than a city, to work on crafting and storage after running around the world for the day.

Also, being an engineer, I like the idea of designing and building stuff that I can take pride in.

yea the furniture is my favorite part too, i get an unreasonably big sense of satisfaction from building a silly wooden chair and then a few levels later deleting it and replacing it with a cushioned wooden chair and then deleting that and replacing it with a cushioned wooden chair with gold trim! so what if iv lost 20g in the process it was worth it =p

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I’d much rather they give us Guild Halls and GvG. We don’t need player housing because we already have our “Home Instance”. Now, some of these suggestions could be used as Guild Upgrades once we do get Guild Halls. In GW we had to buy everything but the Xunlia Agent(Banker), so being able to use Influence to create things for our respective Guild Halls would be great, maybe even allow the Guild Leader to designate certain types of upgrades to members.

Duke Nukem.6783

I’d much rather they give us Guild Halls and GvG. We don’t need player housing because we already have our “Home Instance”. Now, some of these suggestions could be used as Guild Upgrades once we do get Guild Halls. In GW we had to buy everything but the Xunlia Agent(Banker), so being able to use Influence to create things for our respective Guild Halls would be great, maybe even allow the Guild Leader to designate certain types of upgrades to members.

the economy needs gold sinks, also im not that interested in having a hall that i have to share with other people id rather have my own, face it guilds r not a big part of guild wars 2 and im fine with that

Posted by: Miriam.2506

Miriam.2506

Don’t forget a nice little garden and forest for your daily collectors. Not only metals things we still need trees and fruits.

Wonderfull ideas, but I would be glad first becoming a small house i can outfit myself. A mayor Game change must be made for sleeping and sitting on chairs, beds etc. Don’t think it’s really easy to do.

Duke Nukem.6783

Don’t forget a nice little garden and forest for your daily collectors. Not only metals things we still need trees and fruits.

Wonderfull ideas, but I would be glad first becoming a small house i can outfit myself. A mayor Game change must be made for sleeping and sitting on chairs, beds etc. Don’t think it’s really easy to do.

i thought about a garden but then i got to thinking about a farming skill and eventually said that it belonged in its own seperate skill that might mix in with this one.

i think sitting in chairs is an easy enough thing to do it just involves manipulating the character model the way that emotions do except with a physical object touching the animation at the same time, i mean the chair doesnt even have to move.

Duke Nukem.6783

This has been suggested I one form or another in several threads the only way this can remotely work is. If they sold plots of in game land in the gem store unfortunately this idea and type of in game housing takes a lot of server space and they would have to pay for the added servers some how, i f you ever ran a Minecraft server then you know what I’m taking about.

runescape did it and they have over 200 million accounts created i think little ol anet can handle the added server size if that is even true

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Love the idea OP. This would be an epic addition to the game.

Posted by: Jaamies.2601

Jaamies.2601

This is the Best Idea! I have been hoping this kinda thing for long now!

Posted by: Name.9625

Name.9625

No.
/15CharrWarband

Duke Nukem.6783

No.
/15CharrWarband

no what =p?

Duke Nukem.6783

+1 and I totally agree with that idea

it doesnt tell me how many pluses i have but still =)

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

yea the furniture is my favorite part too, i get an unreasonably big sense of satisfaction from building a silly wooden chair and then a few levels later deleting it and replacing it with a cushioned wooden chair and then deleting that and replacing it with a cushioned wooden chair with gold trim! so what if iv lost 20g in the process it was worth it =p

You should try the Sims, it sounds like it would be a perfect fit for you.

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

This idea sounds like it requires effort and Anet problably wont do it unless it’s sold in the gemstore or something. But it would be cool to have a place you and guildies can meet up at like ther guild halls in GWone.

-Ironcurtain

Duke Nukem.6783

if the sims wants to add collecting and selling of gear through dungoens and world bosses with the collecting of weapon and armor skins then im all game

but guild wars 2 needs a skill like this anyway, not for me, but for the economy, we need a place to dump our gold

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

if the sims wants to add collecting and selling of gear through dungoens and world bosses with the collecting of weapon and armor skins then im all game

but guild wars 2 needs a skill like this anyway, not for me, but for the economy, we need a place to dump our gold

There is already a place to dump gold – aesthetics. I’ve crafted 4 legendaries, and those t6 mats and precursors aren’t cheap.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against player housing, I’m sure I’d participate if it was added, it should just be a super low priority compared to other new content, such as zones, dungeons, wvw/pvp. What is currently out there is rather stale for a lot of people, and player housing is not going to fix that.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I would truly love housing in GW2. I feel like that is the one thing I’m really missing about this game versus others I’ve played. The game world just feels so vacant and meaningless without a place to call home.

Hopefully they’ll put it in! It must still be on the table, or they would have shot our dreams down by now. No reason for meaningless speculation about something that will never happen, unless they’re so cold hearted that they think it’s better to let us have our hope so that we don’t quit playing or something.

Posted by: Kronus.6048

Kronus.6048

There is already a place to dump gold – aesthetics. I’ve crafted 4 legendaries, and those t6 mats and precursors aren’t cheap.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against player housing, I’m sure I’d participate if it was added, it should just be a super low priority compared to other new content, such as zones, dungeons, wvw/pvp. What is currently out there is rather stale for a lot of people, and player housing is not going to fix that.

except not everyone cares about aesthetics and legendaries. There are many aesthetics atm and legendaries can be crafted too, but there is no such thing as housing system. As for being low priority, that’s subjective. wvw/pvp will never be enough for those doing it, zones and dungeons will never be enough even if those are released with living content.

Duke Nukem.6783

it is not a dump for gold if the gold goes back into the economy, also most players are not interested in legendaries as the price does not match the reward and i cant even see a legendary.

and while its totally an opinion id prefer new skills to more of the same old same old….and i mean “skills” not “combat skills”….ukno what i mean….probally….

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No housing – what a waste. There are plenty of other items that need to be worked on in this game and housing in not a real top priority. In fact, I hope it NEVER is put into the game.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

No housing – what a waste. There are plenty of other items that need to be worked on in this game and housing in not a real top priority. In fact, I hope it NEVER is put into the game.

you’re right, i would actually prefer guild housing. but player housing would be cool too.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Duke Nukem.6783

lol iv never heard such a staunch opinion over player owned housing but i am sick of people foolishly saying that anet has “more important things to work on” more important to who? you? thats fine, but not to me…..

Duke Nukem.6783

you’re right, i would actually prefer guild housing. but player housing would be cool too.

i hope hes not he wants NO housing at all….

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I wholeheartedly agree with this. GW2 needs to branch off from a “look what I killed” game and into becoming more diversified. Two examples of success franchises without combat would be “the Sims” and “Farmville”. GW2 should have customizable housing and a garden. The shear volume of virtual goods that could be added to the gem store could justify the development cost.

A big thing for me would be the shift in ideology of the game. From one of suffering, face it all we do is kill constantly, to one of life and growth. We could use more social responsibility mindedness in the game.

For Guild Halls vs Personal Residence, think of it this way, no way everyone is going to agree on how to decorate a guild hall. Also, for server resources, each account is able to create 5 guilds. Thus, Guild Halls could potentially take up 5 times more resources than personal homes could. At this point, I’d be happy with either or maybe the option to do both.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Dusty Moon.4382

lol iv never heard such a staunch opinion over player owned housing but i am sick of people foolishly saying that anet has “more important things to work on” more important to who? you? thats fine, but not to me…..

I am talking redoing the engine so it doesn’t chug in WvW – more optimizations. DX11 would be nice also. I would prefer guild halls and a GvG tournament but that will be hard as this is not an instanced game like GW1 and you need plenty of room for all those halls. Fix all the armor clipping. Some new areas to explore. A new WvW arena or two. I think that is more important than housing……

I feel housing is a waste because this is NOT a sandbox game. What does it get us – that we don’t already have looking at the character screens, etc? NOTHING. I know, ‘OH LOOK – I built my own house’ – Sorry no. Where would you put all these houses?

Want housing – go play in the sandbox where PvPers can knock it down and make you start all over.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I love housing. It adds depth to an MMO and helps players feel more invested in the world. I would like to see it built into some kind of guild system to encourage closer small groups.

Maybe each guild can buy an instance off the main cities or specific areas to make themed guild communities. Let the mega servers sort out what instance you actually see.

btw,
Anet has a staff of 350+ people. I think they can work on more than one thing at a time.

Duke Nukem.6783

I am talking redoing the engine so it doesn’t chug in WvW – more optimizations. DX11 would be nice also. I would prefer guild halls and a GvG tournament but that will be hard as this is not an instanced game like GW1 and you need plenty of room for all those halls. Fix all the armor clipping. Some new areas to explore. A new WvW arena or two. I think that is more important than housing……

I feel housing is a waste because this is NOT a sandbox game. What does it get us – that we don’t already have looking at the character screens, etc? NOTHING. I know, ‘OH LOOK – I built my own house’ – Sorry no. Where would you put all these houses?

Want housing – go play in the sandbox where PvPers can knock it down and make you start all over.

lol sorry not a single thing u mentioned as a suggestion is even slightly interesting to me as an update. my wvw doesnt lag i dont care about guilds or guild halls and i have no idea what this dx nonsense is im not a tech head.

what do we get out of housing? we get a new avenue of gold sink for the economy (which desperatley needs it) a new way to spend tme that ISNT combat related and a new way to socialize with friends or the community in general with house parties and most important to me we FINALLY get a way to show off our wealth, oh sure u can wield one expensive skin at a time but that just tells people you bought one skin, how am i to show off the giant crystal throne i built for 5k? how r ppl gana know i have 3k gold in teh bank?

i dont know what “a sandbox game” is and i dont care, i want housing in THIS game, because i like THIS game if that means i want this to become a sandbox game…then so be it.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

well the ability to build structures like walls in wvw would be prity interesting and would allow you to fortify passes and prevent enemy movements. I think any open world building the structures need to be destructible so you have to defend your home against events. Otherwise the entire map would be covered in housing.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Considering I JUST posted about developing more social responsibility in gamer, I’d be for this. IF, and it’s a requirement, damaging another individuals “stuff” branded you a criminal. Where your character would be placed in a jail and no other character on the account could be played. Not until restitution’s were paid in full. Essentially, all you could do is log into that one character and walk around a little instanced jail cell. What might also be fun would be using this jail as a wall of shame. Thus, players could see who was in jail. Maybe a rating kept of it too.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Duke Nukem.6783

well the ability to build structures like walls in wvw would be prity interesting and would allow you to fortify passes and prevent enemy movements. I think any open world building the structures need to be destructible so you have to defend your home against events. Otherwise the entire map would be covered in housing.

i think you missed the point that the house would go to your home instance (or similar instanced area) it doesnt just drop down in the middle of the world

Duke Nukem.6783

Considering I JUST posted about developing more social responsibility in gamer, I’d be for this. IF, and it’s a requirement, damaging another individuals “stuff” branded you a criminal. Where your character would be placed in a jail and no other character on the account could be played. Not until restitution’s were paid in full. Essentially, all you could do is log into that one character and walk around a little instanced jail cell. What might also be fun would be using this jail as a wall of shame. Thus, players could see who was in jail. Maybe a rating kept of it too.

i dont think he was being serious

Duke Nukem.6783

I love housing. It adds depth to an MMO and helps players feel more invested in the world. I would like to see it built into some kind of guild system to encourage closer small groups.

Maybe each guild can buy an instance off the main cities or specific areas to make themed guild communities. Let the mega servers sort out what instance you actually see.

btw,
Anet has a staff of 350+ people. I think they can work on more than one thing at a time.

exactly anet has plenty of staff and lots of people want an update like this

Dusty Moon.4382

btw,

Not as many as you think. A poll of this forum would show yes but many posters here don’t even play the game, they just come in to whine.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

btw,

Not as many as you think. A poll of this forum would show yes but many posters here don’t even play the game, they just come in to whine.

I would love to see a last log in GW2 on these fourms lol.

The ideal is cool but there would be problems unless you crate OF like zones or your simply going to have an endless set of houses all over a zones. I have a feeling other games are going to run into that problems soon. Soon every thing going to look like the suburbs in thoughts games lol.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Duke Nukem.6783

btw,

I would love to see a last log in GW2 on these fourms lol.

The ideal is cool but there would be problems unless you crate OF like zones or your simply going to have an endless set of houses all over a zones. I have a feeling other games are going to run into that problems soon. Soon every thing going to look like the suburbs in thoughts games lol.

i will update the original message to clarify this seeing as people seem to forget that this is a digital world and therefor has the ability to put multiple objects in the exact same spot but these houses would be INSTANCED meaning that you have your own house in the exact same spot everyone else has their house and you can only see your house unless you go to visit someone elses

Duke Nukem.6783

btw,

id love to hear your evidence to back any of that up

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’d say that at least from a forum point of view, the lack of response to this thread after over 1600 views says something. Then again the forums are not a true measure but it gives a clue.

Of course I’ve watched the OP more or less bump this thread once it drops off the front page by responding to much earlier posts in the thread.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Duke Nukem.6783

I’d say that at least from a forum point of view, the lack of response to this thread after over 1600 views says something. Then again the forums are not a true measure but it gives a clue.

Of course I’ve watched the OP more or less bump this thread once it drops off the front page by responding to much earlier posts in the thread.

dividing veiws by posts is a downright wrong way to measure anything as a long and detailed post like this one is less likely to be read through because ppl l want their info in bite sized bits….more importantly do you have anything to contribute yourself or r we done with this off topic post?

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I would be super game for this if it included the ability to add a personal keg brawl arena.

Kegmaster

Duke Nukem.6783

just added the CHAPEL to the list of room suggestions if any1 else has room suggestions please post them.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

dividing veiws by posts is a downright wrong way to measure anything as a long and detailed post like this one is less likely to be read through because ppl l want their info in bite sized bits….more importantly do you have anything to contribute yourself or r we done with this off topic post?

Almost half the posts here are yours (22 out of now 48 posts counting mine here as of the time of this post) and you are bumping your thread by responding to old posts once your thread drops off the main page. As for feedback, player housing should be way,way,way down the list of things to do. This is the last time I’m going to give your thread a post because you seem to be bumping it enough on your own. It’s annoying and I don’t know what you think you will accomplish by constantly rezzing your thread from page 2 of the forum.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Vaultnishi.4209

Vaultnishi.4209

I would love a home or something to work on long time to build in the home instance. It would actually give the home instance a use besides a daily node lol.