new building skill and player owned houses

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

I’d rather we didn’t have housing, as I can’t see why I’d want to spend time playing in a doll’s house. But I’m sure there is a game out there for you guys and girls who do want housing.

It’s a bit like jumping puzzles- if you like platform games there are already plenty out there, feel free to go play them.

Yes, but the point is, if you like JPs you can do them, and if you don’t you can just ignore them. The same applies to housing (or whichever other feature in the game you can name). This is a suggestion on a new feature, which of course some people will love and others won’t the difference is that’s available to the ones who want it.

It’s a-me, Aria!

Posted by: aris.9567

aris.9567

Great idea!!! I have wanted housing for such a long time!!! This would be the PERFECT way to input it into the game!!! Also love your ideas for the different rooms and such!!! Sure hope this is made!!! This would be AWESOME!!! However I don’t really like the idea of it being another crafting profession…

For Kryta!!!

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Game has instances and overflows, i dont see how this could work.
Lineage had a funny guild housing system but if i recall was a megaservers w/o overflows of it.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Build-able Guild Halls I would get behind, but personal housing just serves no purpose beyond some Role Play aspects. Sorry to say, the Role Play audience is not large enough to justify the level of resources this request would require.

There are plenty of other games that let you build stuff (Minecraft, Sims, Simcity, even Skyrim).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

so the home instance teleporter thingy was a great addition but its only current use is to teleport home and gather, me thinks this might be a sign of things to come for the home instance

Duke Nukem.6783

Build-able Guild Halls I would get behind, but personal housing just serves no purpose beyond some Role Play aspects. Sorry to say, the Role Play audience is not large enough to justify the level of resources this request would require.

There are plenty of other games that let you build stuff (Minecraft, Sims, Simcity, even Skyrim).

im always baffled by the serves no purpose argument, this is an mmo its only goal is to waist as much of your time as possible it does not have a purpose or an end goal. most ppl will spend lots and lots of time and money building their house, that is its purpose

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That only works, the waste as much of your time argument, if it’s a subscription game. Sure all MMOs string a player along, here with the hope that something will come among in the store that would cause you to buy gems with cash but that’s different that extracting $12-15 a month from distracted players.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I wholeheartedly agree with this. GW2 needs to branch off from a “look what I killed” game and into becoming more diversified. Two examples of success franchises without combat would be “the Sims” and “Farmville”. GW2 should have customizable housing and a garden. The shear volume of virtual goods that could be added to the gem store could justify the development cost.

MMOs usually require some diversity as player can get burned out rather quickly by only a single form of gameplay. These non-combat gameplay forms (if done right) also have a slightly longer investment potential and can easily be scaled up.

Want housing – go play in the sandbox where PvPers can knock it down and make you start all over.

Considering I JUST posted about developing more social responsibility in gamer, I’d be for this. IF, and it’s a requirement, damaging another individuals “stuff” branded you a criminal. Where your character would be placed in a jail and no other character on the account could be played. Not until restitution’s were paid in full. Essentially, all you could do is log into that one character and walk around a little instanced jail cell. What might also be fun would be using this jail as a wall of shame. Thus, players could see who was in jail. Maybe a rating kept of it too.

This would be interesting, if slightly annoying to the sort of players who would constantly do stuff that get’s them put in jail :P
Although I guess you could build a whole meta around the jail. Have the characters try and escape the jail, give them a reasonable chance at success or failure.

Duke Nukem.6783

That only works, the waste as much of your time argument, if it’s a subscription game. Sure all MMOs string a player along, here with the hope that something will come among in the store that would cause you to buy gems with cash but that’s different that extracting $12-15 a month from distracted players.

it works EXACTLY the same here no argument….u are more likely to spend money on this if you are playing it and the longer you play it the more money you spend on it, it is still a subscrition you just cant see the math behind it anymore.

Posted by: vpchelko.4261

vpchelko.4261

no and never plz

Duke Nukem.6783

no and never plz

my how thoughtful…..

Duke Nukem.6783

Game has instances and overflows, i dont see how this could work.
Lineage had a funny guild housing system but if i recall was a megaservers w/o overflows of it.

your post confuses me as instances are the solution not the problem, every house goes in its own area in the exact same spot as every other house…..whats the problem?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

no persistent effect in overflow system
in the end, it will be nothing but instances and more instances
it will never be on par with game that design to implement housing and guild housing from the start

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Duke Nukem.6783

no persistent effect in overflow system
in the end, it will be nothing but instances and more instances
it will never be on par with game that design to implement housing and guild housing from the start

oh rly cuz the best housing system iv ever seen in a video game, runescape, didnt even think it up till about 8 years in and they merged it seamlessly with the economy and every other reward system in the game that made it rewarding on its own and with the other skills.
instances have NOTHING to do with quality, saying that something wont work cuz it will just be lots of instances is like saying loot wont be exciting because itl be just a bunch of stuff you can sell, it sure will be! and thats kinda the point instancing stuff allows us to give everyone their cake and let them eat it to, or decorate it with bejeweled throwns that certainly shouldnt be on your cake if you plan to eat it at all unless you plan on giving it to that one friend you dont really like but she has a firm bum so you keep her around.

and if your going to tell me the gw2 servers cant handle each player having an elaborate detailed instance,…..dont, lots of mmo have already done it and we already have our own instance for each character which could quite easily be merged into one.

Duke Nukem.6783

I wholeheartedly agree with this. GW2 needs to branch off from a “look what I killed” game and into becoming more diversified. Two examples of success franchises without combat would be “the Sims” and “Farmville”. GW2 should have customizable housing and a garden. The shear volume of virtual goods that could be added to the gem store could justify the development cost.

MMOs usually require some diversity as player can get burned out rather quickly by only a single form of gameplay. These non-combat gameplay forms (if done right) also have a slightly longer investment potential and can easily be scaled up.

Want housing – go play in the sandbox where PvPers can knock it down and make you start all over.

Considering I JUST posted about developing more social responsibility in gamer, I’d be for this. IF, and it’s a requirement, damaging another individuals “stuff” branded you a criminal. Where your character would be placed in a jail and no other character on the account could be played. Not until restitution’s were paid in full. Essentially, all you could do is log into that one character and walk around a little instanced jail cell. What might also be fun would be using this jail as a wall of shame. Thus, players could see who was in jail. Maybe a rating kept of it too.

This would be interesting, if slightly annoying to the sort of players who would constantly do stuff that get’s them put in jail :P
Although I guess you could build a whole meta around the jail. Have the characters try and escape the jail, give them a reasonable chance at success or failure.

right, we really need this variety in gw2 for the game to have any longjevity cuz im not gaan stick around here for 3 to 5 years or more just to kill different colored griffons and unlock a slightly different sword once a month

Duke Nukem.6783

Great idea!!! I have wanted housing for such a long time!!! This would be the PERFECT way to input it into the game!!! Also love your ideas for the different rooms and such!!! Sure hope this is made!!! This would be AWESOME!!! However I don’t really like the idea of it being another crafting profession…

it needs to have a sense of progression, if not a crafting profession then what? i understand that that might sound boring considering how all of this games otehr crafting skills are stand around and do the same thing over and over but thats why is uggested it like this in the first place to get AWAY from all that stand still and grind

Duke Nukem.6783

i wish anet would make a comment on this one way or the other, with the feature pack around the corner and a promise of “some high level content” announced this week i have my hopes up…..a bit

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

Kind of a pointless feature in my view. If I wanted a housing system, I wouldn’t play a game like Guild Wars 2. Plus, it serves no actual purpose and has no replay value. Sure, you might spend a couple of hours decorating it, and then? There goes one year of development for a feature most people won’t use or forget it even exists.

Maybe if they managed to incorporate houses in the actual world it would be fun but there would be no reason to visit them except for roleplay reasons. And then, I don’t see many roleplayers nowadays…

Let’s not forget that the real game would be outside of your house: WvW, Dungeons, PvP, Exploration, Jumping puzzles… We already have something called Home Instances, and I rarely see people visiting them.

In survival games it make sense. It serves as shelter and a place to hide from enemies, but in Guild Wars 2? Pointless.

(edited by Davey.7029)

Duke Nukem.6783

Kind of a pointless feature in my view. If I wanted a housing system, I wouldn’t play a game like Guild Wars 2. Plus, it serves no actual purpose and has no replay value. Sure, you might spend a couple of hours decorating it, and then? There goes one year of development for a feature most people won’t use or forget it even exists.

Maybe if they managed to incorporate houses in the actual world it would be fun but there would be no reason to visit them except for roleplay reasons. And then, I don’t see many roleplayers nowadays…

Let’s not forget that the real game would be outside of your house: WvW, Dungeons, PvP, Exploration, Jumping puzzles… We already have something called Home Instances, and I rarely see people visiting them.

In survival games it make sense. It serves as shelter and a place to hide from enemies, but in Guild Wars 2? Pointless.

you wont get this skill to 500 in hours, or even days, and the dungeon would have lots of replay value, and this is supposed to go directly into the home instance, the goal here is simply to make yourself a house and im sure more than half the community would do that eagerly not everything needs to have a higher purpose (infact nothing in an mmo does)

Duke Nukem.6783

i still see so many posts on these forums about player owned houses so lets see if this topic remains popular

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I would love to see how housing and farms would work in GW2. I think it would be kind of cool if implemented correctly.

Duke Nukem.6783

I would love to see how housing and farms would work in GW2. I think it would be kind of cool if implemented correctly.

it does need to be done right which is why i tried to be really detailed with it in my OP

Duke Nukem.6783

so does anyone think that with the beginning of expansions for gw2 with hot we will start to see new skills like this added to the game? im hopeful but im sure it wont be in the first expansion, but maybe some of these ideas will be used for guild halls

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

so does anyone think that with the beginning of expansions for gw2 with hot we will start to see new skills like this added to the game? im hopeful but im sure it wont be in the first expansion, but maybe some of these ideas will be used for guild halls

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/new-building-skill-and-player-owned-houses/page/2#post4180907

Well, as i said on page 2 (in above link), which is over 9 months ago, i seriously doubt Anet will focus on housing.

Ever since then… Swtor has released their housing system and expanded on it greatly. WS has their own form, WoW has Garrisons, and Tera released Guild Housing.

Anet would’ve said something about it for HoT, so i wouldn’t hold my breath.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Duke Nukem.6783

oh im sure its not coming out with hot i just mean that i think they are going to start moving in a direction with this horizontal progression stuff that will someday lead to things like this, so i think its time to start talking about it again

but maybe some of this will influence guild halls

Duke Nukem.6783

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/new-building-skill-and-player-owned-houses/page/2#post4180907

Well, as i said on page 2 (in above link), which is over 9 months ago, i seriously doubt Anet will focus on housing.

Ever since then… Swtor has released their housing system and expanded on it greatly. WS has their own form, WoW has Garrisons, and Tera released Guild Housing.

Anet would’ve said something about it for HoT, so i wouldn’t hold my breath.

yea i looked at it but i think they will still want ideas when the time comes….u cant just add gliders and new weapons forever!

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Sorry but it’s a big nope from me.

1. Guild halls is coming. Pretty much very similar but.. Useful, better?
2. What a massive waste of gold it would be unless you have absolutely nothing else in the game to buy.
3. I feel it would split the community up and we’d see less people running around in the open world (pve, pvp, wvw).
4. What if you had no friends to share this.. Gold sink with? ‘Who needs friends’ is another thing entirely but still.. Ehhh.
5. Is there any beneficial long term bonuses to splurging everything just to make an instance look prettier?

There’s other reasons but these are the main ones.

The only minutely positive things that I can think of from this is:

1. Gives role players another place to go.
2. Private instanced events with friends (coughguildhallscough)

I don’t intend to be negative in any way but that’s all I could think of.

Duke Nukem.6783

Sorry but it’s a big nope from me.

1. Guild halls is coming. Pretty much very similar but.. Useful, better?
2. What a massive waste of gold it would be unless you have absolutely nothing else in the game to buy.
3. I feel it would split the community up and we’d see less people running around in the open world (pve, pvp, wvw).
4. What if you had no friends to share this.. Gold sink with? ‘Who needs friends’ is another thing entirely but still.. Ehhh.
5. Is there any beneficial long term bonuses to splurging everything just to make an instance look prettier?

There’s other reasons but these are the main ones.

The only minutely positive things that I can think of from this is:

1. Gives role players another place to go.
2. Private instanced events with friends (coughguildhallscough)

I don’t intend to be negative in any way but that’s all I could think of.

1 well some non guild oriented people might prefer their own place to customize but i could see many of these things being a part of the guild hall

2 and trust me even if you dont wana put your money into building this stuff plenty of us will….i mean everything u buy in this game is just for looks anyways so its no more wasteful than those 30 different axe skins u own and never use, bsids you make money if i spend 300g on a fancy chair, how? because it removes gold from the economy combating inflation, making your gold worth more!

3. so we should never ever ever make any new content then? cuz its gana split up the community no matter what it is, i dont care if i see people running around or not unless i need them.

4. no friends is ur problem not the communities =p maybe a friendless person can make some by having a really cool house to show off (it works in real life!)

5. i think i named alot of ways that ur house could have helpful assets for you to profit from, personal gardens, an advanced crafting station for gear beyond level 500, a portal in ur personal library to a new pve farming area with new exclusive rewards ect ect

Duke Nukem.6783

so some people were wondering why we would need something like this…..well iw as talking in lions arch with random people today about why gold ore prices had plummeted so much and the consensus was just that there is no use for it….and indeed this is true for most things in our economy, its all just for throwing in the forge so u can later throw other stuff in the forge, or maybe level up ur useless crafting skills to make new cosmetic skins.

we need a more active skill like this to break away from those standing still skills, even if you dont wana use it it will stimulate the economy so YOU can make more m oney off of us!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This sounds like a lot of fun. I miss housing in this game the way I miss mounts in this game. lol

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

One of the problems with houses in MMOs is what to do with abandoned houses.
ie a player builds a house , and then leaves the game.
What happens to the house?
Houses generally take up space in the game world , so abandoned houses need some mechanism to remove them, otherwise the game slowly fills up with abandoned houses after a while.
One method would be some kind of house tax, whereby in order to keep your house after building it , you had to pay an ongoing fee, but most players dont like this concept.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Houses generally take up space in the game world , so abandoned houses need some mechanism to remove them, otherwise the game slowly fills up with abandoned houses after a while.
One method would be some kind of house tax, whereby in order to keep your house after building it , you had to pay an ongoing fee, but most players dont like this concept.

Or a living story could destroy part of our home instance and allow us to rebuild it.

Duke Nukem.6783

i addressed this fully in my home instance revamp as part of this suggestion on the first post

Duke Nukem.6783

Or a living story could destroy part of our home instance and allow us to rebuild it.

exactly, it just goes in the home instance, but im sure they wont change the actual story to accomodate it, not that they need to it could “just happen”