reward tracks, wider access?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

I appreciate PvP reward tracks for what they are, but I feel they are a bit wasted in the place they are currently implemented. In a lot of the game outside of this, well, it’s not terribly rewarding and people usually focus on grinding specific areas for the largest rewards. What I would like to see is PvP reward tracks opened up for all content in the game. PvE, WvW and of course the role it currently serves in PvP. I like it because it’s steady progress to a very real and substantial goal. Most WvW and PvE lack clear goals that aren’t set by the players themselves. I feel this would add longevity to the game and motivation to do any content the player wants.

Wouldn’t it be nice, if you already have an 80, to level a new character, set a reward track, and get goodies for your account at the same time? After the new change to skill points to hero points and getting the new currency (soul shards was it?) I think this could pair up wonderfully to help populate the world and zones a lot more. And some content in the game could give more progress than others. Fully completing a jp (without a mes portal, something that I feel should be incentivized) could give a good chunk of reward track progress. I hear that jps don’t give much incentive to do them again after you get the achievement. Adventures could also give a healthy chunk of progress. Maybe large WvW objectives could also help.

That said, one of the major failings of pvp reward tracks is that no matter how shiny the rewards, it doesn’t promote real pvp. Some people just go to custom arenas and win trade for dailies and pvp track progress. I fail to see how this is good for the game. If there were other means to get pvp track progress, than the people that want to pvp still will, but the people that don’t want to pvp or don’t care for it won’t muddy the waters, so to speak.

Frankly, I just want to play the game the way I want and have fun. It would keep me motivated and in game a lot more if I could get something like the pvp reward tracks to just get steady goodies playing in the content I enjoy instead of the bad notion that incentivizing content that people don’t like will get them to like it eventually.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

PvE and WvW reward tracks would be cool. However, I don’t agree that everyone should get equal chance to get same rewards. Rewards should be specific to the content you choose to play. And if you choose not to play specific type of content I don’t see why should you be rewarded.

I like pvp tracks but I don’t understand why they chose dungeon rewards specificaly for those tracks.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Because pvpers complained, that they can’t earn the pvp armor and weapon skins via pvp, that they get “forced” to play PvE to get then.
Thats the simple but true reason, why ANet added the dungeon based PvP reward tracks, so that people stop complaining about, that they have to play Pve to earn those skins …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Ralanost.8913

Because pvpers complained, that they can’t earn the pvp armor and weapon skins via pvp, that they get “forced” to play PvE to get then.
Thats the simple but true reason, why ANet added the dungeon based PvP reward tracks, so that people stop complaining about, that they have to play Pve to earn those skins …

But there are rewards that are unique to these tracks like the glorious armor and balthazar back piece. How is this not a double edged sword? Wouldn’t this be rectified if EVERYONE had access to this reward path, no matter what content they choose to participate in? I like how pvp reward tracks work, I really do. I think if more people cycled through them then Arenanet could implement more reward tracks in the future. I just think it would be better if everyone could benefit from them as a reward structure and not just pvpers.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

What, PvPers got dungeon skins as rewards before reward tracks. Each 10 ranks and random mystic forge recipes were what gave them dungeon items before tracks.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

maybe, but it was alot more grindy, than it is now with the traacks and not based on RNG anymore.. now you can clearly work for the skins that you exactly want in pvp.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

maybe, but it was alot more grindy, than it is now with the traacks and not based on RNG anymore.. now you can clearly work for the skins that you exactly want in pvp.

Yeah, but the point is PvPers didn’t whine to get the skins :P Most don’t even care about rewards, Anet just made it more accessible and rewarding so more people would try out PvP.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Ralanost.8913

Yeah, but the point is PvPers didn’t whine to get the skins :P Most don’t even care about rewards, Anet just made it more accessible and rewarding so more people would try out PvP.

And with how custom arenas work, I say it failed spectacularly. If people want to pvp, they will. If people want rewards, they will find a way. But rewards will never make people like something that they don’t like. They will just find ways around the system to get the rewards without doing the content they hate.

WoW got pretty bad recently with Honorbuddy and the hordes of bots in pvp. No one wants that. I just think it would add to the game as a whole to open up the reward structure as a game wide objective instead of having it just be for pvpers.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

But rewards will never make people like something that they don’t like. They will just find ways around the system to get the rewards without doing the content they hate.

Well, yes and no. The rewards have definitely encouraged more people to at least try to get into PvP (I did after a while, hated it at first). And I definitely wouldn’t have bothered at all if not for the reward tracks.

We could use something like this in the open world, inject some life into the dead maps.

Posted by: AmarienS.7514

AmarienS.7514

In regards to of the OP’s replies PvE has plenty of unique skins, so I don’t see the issue with some exlusivity for PvP things. You can get the entire Carapice armour only from PvE, all of the S1 living story rewards were also only from PvE,etc. So it’s no different really. I’d say PvE also has a better gold income.
They also seem to be focusing on open world in the expansion so it would probably involve rewards for completing the day/night event cycles and they also said they’d be changing map exploration rewards.

Posted by: Murmaider.1805

Murmaider.1805

Wishful thinking, but I’d love some sort of PvP legendary weapons that are earned through PvP stuff strictly. I know it’s possible right now, but only with map completions. I just get frustratingly bored with PvE. However that’d work, I’m not thinking too hard about it. Would just be cool to me.

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

And yet, PvPers had easier access to those skins during “Glory points” age.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.