[suggestion] $15/month = no diminished returns...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nolij.4327

nolij.4327

… on world bosses and dungeons

edit – it may have been somewhat unclear that i am suggesting this subscription model as 100% optional. if you don’t want to pay it, the game remains the same as it’s always been. if you do want to pay it, read on…

seriously, how simple is that? can there possibly be a simpler, more elegant solution to all of the general uprising and distaste within the community today?

think about it. this simple solution would solve every problem in one fell swoop. let’s bullet point it for ease of reading…

- the players who want to farm for gold can farm for gold, while actively supporting the game financially
- the players who don’t want to farm for gold can skip out on the subscription fee, and keep on buying gold when they want some
- the players who have never given a single penny to the game (other than initial purchase obviously) because they feel that there is not enough to do will now be more than happy to pay this meager “access fee”, which simply removes limitations that have been put on them. limitations that should ultimately never exist in the first place
- the casual players who do not wish to pay the subscription will not feel threatened or “left out” in any way, due to the core design of gw2’s gear system (i don’t need to explain this concept to you folks)
- the developers and publishers would be make record setting profits, the likes of which have never been seen by the guild wars franchise, motivating them to produce all kinds of new content, in order to keep up with the no doubt MASSIVE influx of players achieving all kinds of new heights within the confines of the present content
- everybody wins

as you read this, it may all seem too good to be true. you might be asking, how can such a simple solution even exist? if such a solution does exist, how in the world has this solution not been implemented since mere months after the initial release of the game?

as i’m sitting here typing this, i am thinking all of these same thoughts, and the answer to those questions is i have absolutely no kittening idea

now that the solution has been laid out, i’d like to clear up what i would like to see included in the subscription package, and what i do not need to see in the subscription. you can add in any of these ideas or whatever, i’m not gonna sit here and try to run the whole company for you, but anyhow…

do not need
- any kind of bonus skins
- any kind of bonus title
- any kind of bonus perks, boosters, crafting mechanics, etc. etc.
- any kind of gathering bonuses
- anything at all that makes my kitten feel bigger but serves no practical purpose. save that stuff for the gem store, which will still be in full operation under this new model
- any kind of discount on gem store items
- ANYTHING AT ALL that would make the “casuals” feel left out, or make them feel as though the guys paying the subscription fee had any kind of “unfair advantage” whatsoever. we’re trying to solve problems here, guys, not create them

do need
- removal of diminished returns on dungeons and world bosses

DOESN’T GET MUCH SIMPLER THAN THAT

anyhow guys, i’m not sitting here looking for recognition. i’m not asking for any kind of credit, even though i’ve just outlined all the ways to go about not only saving gw2, but making it something more beautiful and profitable than it ever has been and ever could be in the current state of affairs.

all i’m asking is that you implement this stuff IMMEDIATELY, for the sake of your own game, your company, and for the MMO community worldwide.

i’ll be the first guy on earth to click the “my account” link on this here lovely website, input my credit card information, and activate the subscription.

have a nice day.

potatoes gon’ potate

(edited by nolij.4327)

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

Yes, that’s a simple, yet effective solution (in its core). I’m up for that. Everybody wins: players and ANet.

Also, make better deals for long-term sub ($10/month if you subscribe for a year, etc.)

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

i’ll be the first guy on earth to click the “my account” link on this here lovely website, input my credit card information, and activate the subscription.

I’ll be the first guy to click “uninstall” if they charge a 15$/month to be able to farm gold.

The game as it is now is worth its 50 bucks + some seasonal gems for convenience and cosmetic items, but definitely not a “sub fee” plus “buy gold”.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Defend.9678

Defend.9678

I disagree with this entirely the whole guildwars model was built around “no subscription fee ever” and by adding something like they will cause a huge negative uproar to pretty much 90% of the community who are casual.

There are diminishing returns in place for a reason, if by giving select few who pay benefits to farm so much gold very quickly, which they would if given the chance it would completely destroy the economy, for example If the farmers pay this amount to farm all the time and get so much gold, the gold will slowly become less and less valuable and prices will rise on the trading post because people can just buy anything. Then there are the people without these privileges, struggling to ever keep up with the constant price rises and never being able to afford items they may want from the trading post.

It creates a divide which isn’t wanted or needed in guildwars.
You say how simple it is yet you haven’t even bothered thinking about the effects that it can have on the game in a whole, yes it may create revenue for anet, but they will also lose half of their playerbase in the process. which probably isn’t worth it.

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

News flash!! You can buy gem and sell them for gold. Why do you pay to farm gold when you can pay to get gold directly? Are people addicted to farming?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

News flash!! You can buy gem and sell them for gold. Why do you pay to farm gold when you can pay to get gold directly? Are people addicted to farming?

People are addicted to doing things the way they have done things in the past.
The concept that you posted would not be acceptable because they did not do that before.

Posted by: Jingy.5643

Jingy.5643

I disagree with this entirely the whole guildwars model was built around “no subscription fee ever” and by adding something like they will cause a huge negative uproar to pretty much 90% of the community who are casual.

There are diminishing returns in place for a reason, if by giving select few who pay benefits to farm so much gold very quickly, which they would if given the chance it would completely destroy the economy, for example If the farmers pay this amount to farm all the time and get so much gold, the gold will slowly become less and less valuable and prices will rise on the trading post because people can just buy anything. Then there are the people without these privileges, struggling to ever keep up with the constant price rises and never being able to afford items they may want from the trading post.

It creates a divide which isn’t wanted or needed in guildwars.
You say how simple it is yet you haven’t even bothered thinking about the effects that it can have on the game in a whole, yes it may create revenue for anet, but they will also lose half of their playerbase in the process. which probably isn’t worth it.

+1 ^^

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

People are addicted to doing things the way they have done things in the past.
The concept that you posted would not be acceptable because they did not do that before.

Preposterous. Anet obviously doesn’t want you to grind for gold.

Attachments:

Posted by: Veprovina.4876

Veprovina.4876

What’s with all the. MAKE IT SUBSCRIPTION threads?
Can’t you apreciate the game that has so much to offer without them emptying your wallet each month?

The main factor in deciding wether to buy GW2 or not is that it had no subscription fees. And looking at all what i get for one time purchase i’m amazed and grateful to ANet that they chose this model… And i’m not the only one who thinks that. GW2 became popular partly because of this. Adding subscription fees would make the game dead. Not save it.

Some of us aren’t living in the countries where we can afford to play subscription. I don’t even have a computer that can run GW2 properly, but i’m having fun with it nonetheless. You don’t think i’d pay them some extra money if i had it? Most of the people would. The minority on the forums here are the ones that are complaining ybout nothing to do, and those are not the ones who bought the game and never gave out a single penny, rahter, the ones who did spend extra money and now they “have” the right to complain.

Want gold? Buy gems. Or work for your materials or whatever you want, there’s nothing preventing you from obtaining whatever ingame item you want except your lazyness. Want a shourtcut? Reach into your wallet and get gold from ANet. It’s that simple.

There’s nothing sacred about subscription fees and most games that had them became free2play.

The day this game gets a subscription fee is the day that me and half of the playerbase quits. It’s as simple as that.

I don’t want a second job, i want a game where i can unwind, and not fee obligated to play it just to get my money’s worth, which subscription does to games.

What if i can’t play it for a while for some reason? What if i am a casual player? This game doesn’t need to cater to only hardcore crowd, nor is it designed or intended this way.

Ravos Xar, Ash Legion Charr Mesmer

(edited by Veprovina.4876)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’m going to waste no time pointing out the sheer number of F2P games that have great expansion size content 3-4 times a year with 0 subscription and exactly 0 of them use DR against their players, 0 of them have a AH focused system of loot acquisition (even in one that has Ferengi mind you) and exactly 0 of them hate farmers and in fact encourage them. Their economies and profits have been great for years in some cases.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Defend.9678

Defend.9678

I’m going to waste no time pointing out the sheer number of F2P games that have great expansion size content 3-4 times a year with 0 subscription and exactly 0 of them use DR against their players, 0 of them have a AH focused system of loot acquisition (even in one that has Ferengi mind you) and exactly 0 of them hate farmers and in fact encourage them. Their economies and profits have been great for years in some cases.

I bet all of the gold selling companies flourish there.

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

Paying 15 buck to be able to grind?
Don’t count with my wallet!!

Now, if we’re talking about no more using charges for the wardrobe, full characters slots, bag, bank and collection spaces unlocked, permanent gathering tools, most of the skins obtaineable in game… we can start talking.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I bet all of the gold selling companies flourish there.

Actually no because while DR and forget it is the method used by this company, those other companies who teams of players that login to the servers to seek out these sellers and take them out, some even have methods of auto reporting when certain commonly used phrases are used in the chat channels (like $$$) and might I point out, that despite all of the things they’ve done to the open world loot system, every single nerf and every single DR tweak, and everyday I login and see bots and sellers here on every megaserver, so that theory you have the somehow their methods are working is dead. I suggest you help the community by paying closer attention to history.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

nolij.4327

Can’t you apreciate the game that has so much to offer without them emptying your wallet each month?

The main factor in deciding wether to buy GW2 or not is that it had no subscription fees. And looking at all what i get for one time purchase i’m amazed and grateful to ANet that they chose this model… And i’m not the only one who thinks that. GW2 became popular partly because of this. Adding subscription fees would make the game dead. Not save it.

Some of us aren’t living in the countries where we can afford to play subscription. I don’t even have a computer that can run GW2 properly, but i’m having fun with it nonetheless. You don’t think i’d pay them some extra money if i had it? Most of the people would. The minority on the forums here are the ones that are complaining ybout nothing to do, and those are not the ones who bought the game and never gave out a single penny, rahter, the ones who did spend extra money and now they “have” the right to complain.

Want gold? Buy gems. Or work for your materials or whatever you want, there’s nothing preventing you from obtaining whatever ingame item you want except your lazyness. Want a shourtcut? Reach into your wallet and get gold from ANet. It’s that simple.

There’s nothing sacred about subscription fees and most games that had them became free2play.

The day this game gets a subscription fee is the day that me and half of the playerbase quits. It’s as simple as that.

I don’t want a second job, i want a game where i can unwind, and not fee obligated to play it just to get my money’s worth, which subscription does to games.

What if i can’t play it for a while for some reason? What if i am a casual player? This game doesn’t need to cater to only hardcore crowd, nor is it designed or intended this way.

maybe i didn’t make it clear, but i was suggesting that this subscription should be 100% optional. in other words, you can remain casual, and not have the game feel like a “second job”. even though that argument makes absolutely no sense because right now the only way to get gold is pay x amount of money for y amount of gold with absolutely no variable based on how much you play or how well you play soooooooooooooooooooo yea. it’s already even worse than a second job.

potatoes gon’ potate

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This thread is just a waste of time. It’s never going to happen. lol.

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

I would sooner pay a sub for gw2 than any MMO on the market today, including the spectacular disaster that is ESO.

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

kitten, no.

I would pay 15 dollars subscription to have this UNimplemented if DR is removed for 15 dollars subscription. Its good enough that farmers (those who are still around) are running around doing different things because of DR, even if Anet had to force them to do that.

OP is a good salesman though. I think one step close to being able to sell a refrigerator to an eskimo.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

maybe i didn’t make it clear, but i was suggesting that this subscription should be 100% optional. in other words, you can remain casual, and not have the game feel like a “second job”. even though that argument makes absolutely no sense because right now the only way to get gold is pay x amount of money for y amount of gold with absolutely no variable based on how much you play or how well you play soooooooooooooooooooo yea. it’s already even worse than a second job.

Which turns this whole suggestion into making GW2 a P2W game. If you got the money, you get the advantages.

No. Just no. No.
No to subscription.
No to this.

No.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

GW1 was not a sub game so why would GW2 go that way. If you think you get more out of a sub game, you are sadly mistaken.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This would be an absolutely disaster for the in-game economy.

And unlike the OP claimed would put those who don’t pay up at a huge disadvantage because the paying farmers would control the market for pretty much all materials, and the big influx of gold would mean those who aren’t farming are quickly priced out of the market for anything they might want to buy on the TP.

Thankfully there is absolutely no chance Anet would ever even consider it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Oh, I would love to hear about a couple of those, because I can’t really find any of them.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Oh, I would love to hear about a couple of those, because I can’t really find any of them.

He won’t waste time with specifics, wasting time is just for vague comments.

nolij.4327

What are the pros gives players the introduction subscription?

What are the pros gives old players introduction subscriptions?

i have absolutely no idea what this incoherent post is trying to say, but it still makes significantly more sense to me than those of you making unsupported, casual-biased arguments against an optional subscription model appealing to players who want to log in for more than 10 minutes per day.

thanks goes out to those of you in support of the proposition!

potatoes gon’ potate

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

This is a terrible idea, no matter how “simple” or “elegant” you think it is. Besides is it really that hard to get gold in this game? I’ve gotten over 100 in the last week from playing 3 hours a day pugging some dungeon paths… Also the devs have said many times GW2 will never have a subscription.

This option, no matter how optional, does not exist in some magic bubble. It would directly affect the economy and behoove all players to pay for it or else be left in the dust. Take ascended gear for example. It’s totally optional, but how many people complain that they feel required to have it because it’s mathematically better?

And another thing. The logic of paying 15 dollars a month to get increased gold drops, rather than simply paying 15 dollars for gems and converting them to gold is clearly flawed.

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

dafuk did I just read.

tl/dr: No.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I’m sure there is a portion of the community that would love to see this added to the game. But generally those that want it added end their signature with:

Hace a nice Day!

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

do need
- removal of diminished returns on dungeons and world bosses

No. Removing DR just bring back CoF1 only farms.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

No to this. Excessive farming just makes things harder for non-hardcore-farmers. Because of inflation, prices constantly go up and everything becomes harder to purchase. As you can see some precursors went up to 1500g. There’s still so much farming(e.g. Pavillion gold farming) in this game, it needs more nerfs to reduce inflation.
They have to nerf farming, add more gold sinks and ban all 3rd party gold sellers. Then we ll see prices going down again.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

/facepalm

For anyone who ever argues for a subscription, just BUY 800 gems a month. Seriously. You support the game and get a nice kickback of whatever gems will get you.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Veprovina.4876

Veprovina.4876

Which turns this whole suggestion into making GW2 a P2W game. If you got the money, you get the advantages.

No. Just no. No.
No to subscription.
No to this.

No.

Exactly! Thank you.

Don’t you think i tried MMO’s with “optional” subscription? It’s not really optional in any way, and casual players and those who can’t afford it are so behind everyone else that it’s not even worth playing.

Besides, what’s wrong with paying ANet for some in game gold if you want it?
Hard to farm gold? I’m “poor” ingame (100 gold or something), because i’m casual most of the time. The other day i got 20 gold in an hour or so by doing dungeons and selling loot. I would have gotten more if i hadn’t salvaged those rares for ecto. If i did it every day, i’d be able to buy a legendary in no time. This is an MMO after all, you can’t just expect to get something like in a single player game. You do have to put some hours in it.

I mean come on. Now you’re suggesting that we pay monthly subscription for the privilege of grinding the dungeons the same way we do now, just because you would get something you want a month sooner because the gold and loot would be better?

What???

Ravos Xar, Ash Legion Charr Mesmer

(edited by Veprovina.4876)

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

Because there are those who are rather vocal about not wanting to play alongside poor people.

If you want $15 for extra gold, just gem to gold 1200 gems. Bam. Done.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

For anyone who ever argues for a subscription, just BUY 800 gems a month.

This.

If you want $15 for extra gold, just gem to gold 1200 gems. Bam. Done.

And this.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

No, that will make this game Pay 2 Win
Please don’t even suggest any more such ideas.

Also if you are so worried about DR, just vary the amount of things you do in game.
DR is only supposed to trigger if u rinse and repeat the same content for several hours.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Why not do it for yourself? Spend 15$ a month… use them to buy gold and tada what LITTLE DR there is in the game is compensated for by your 15$ worth of gold each month. Or get like a real farmer and just move on to something else when you hit DR. Its really not hard, plus doing more things becomes more fun in the long run anyway.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

This makes me laugh, how about for those who wishes, just budget yourself $15 to buy guild wars gem every month, and use that to buy gold. At the current exchange rate that’s 120g per month without even have to farm it.

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I’m not sure about the subscription, but I hate DR so so much. It was one thing when drops trailed off after around 20 minutes of farming, but now drops take 10 minutes to start, are less than they were before, then stop after about 10 more minutes. I think the subscription is something players will not go for. However DR is something that although it may help curb botting (it does nothing to curb gold sellers) it also benefits the developers profits greatly by making it harder to make gold and get mats. It’s also something else that makes the game feel unrewarding.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Terrible idea all around. While I’m not a huge fan of being pushed to the gem store, buying gems is still my own choice. If there is a sub fee, for anything, I would uninstall, and I’m sure many others would too. I don’t think that the sub fee player base is the one that this game is marketed to. How about they just give better loot all around but continue to release better stuff more often in the gem store? I love to spend my money on cool looking pixels

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

I am sorry but this is the most pointless thread I have ever read on the forums.

Why make these kind of suggestions when we already know it is a waste of time? GW2 is a cash-shop MMO (Nothing wrong with that model as long as it knows its limits) and will never be a subscription based game.

Three things that will never happen in GW2:

• Expansion
  • Subscription
  • Rewards

All that said, it is still one of the best MMOs out there even though some parts of the game (WvW) are abandoned by the developers.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

This is a horrible idea. Period.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Why wouldn’t you just pay $15 a month for gems and convert the gems to gold? You’d probably end up with more gold than diminishing returns removal would give anyway..

Seems like the system in place is already better

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

If they were to do anything like the OP is suggesting, I’d be uninstalling immediately.

Bad idea is bad.

Headdesk

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I have trouble imagining the OP’s system being more profitable in terms of gold than simply buying the gems once a month and converting them to gold.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I have trouble imagining the OP’s system being more profitable in terms of gold than simply buying the gems once a month and converting them to gold.

At current prices, that’s 100 gold.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

The disclaimer that this is entirely optional does nothing to hide the fact that were this proposal adopted (which it never will be but for the sake of the argument), players WILL take it on and the in game economy will pretty much instantly (relatively speaking) get hit by hyperinflation. The big infusion of gold into the economy will virtually overnight create a wealth gap that is significantly bigger than what we see now. Precursors will shoot up in price as will legendary weapons.

A better way to drive away players I couldn’t think of

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Goldseller says “I can pay $15 a month so my army of bots can make gold for me to sell 24/7? Sign me up! Lemme just grab my list of stolen cc#s…”

The idea falls apart in every direction. The game isn’t broke, don’t try to fix it by breaking it first.

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Great idea, make me pay a fee each month to remove something that should have never been added in the first place.

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

They are addicted and it’s destroying any logical judgement they might have had. Cocaine addicts aren’t known for their good ‘ideas’. Addiction, in any forms, is a weakness of the mind and there are many, many many people that are addicted to aspects of this game, and other games; who are proposing some truly ludicrous propositions, followed with meaningless threats “that they are going to quit this game”.

You said you were going to quit this game 5 months ago trolls. You’re still here posting!

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Paying 15 dollars a month just to be able to farm properly.

Bullkitten.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

I’ll be the first guy to click “uninstall” if they charge a 15$/month to be able to farm gold.

The game as it is now is worth its 50 bucks + some seasonal gems for convenience and cosmetic items, but definitely not a “sub fee” plus “buy gold”.

I agree I just LEFT “That” game because they charged $15 / month and did nada for players with it., do we really want Anet to turn into Blizzard and all it’s faults ?

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

This is a great idea. No diminishing returns for a monthly fee? I’d do it for sure. I hate farming for ascended bullkitten on different characters.

EDIT: The game would also need to have a real sPvP game mode. Not the current crap we have now… Please bring GvG back!

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”