[suggestion] Make mouse arrow HIGHLY visible

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

I would LOVE an improved mouse cursor. Give us the option to make it two, no THREE times as big and let us choose the colour, to maybe something like bright flashing neon pink so that you can NEVER again lose it in the countless red/yellow skill effects fireworks. I cannot even tell you how often I died because I could no longer find my mouse cursor on the screen. It is one of my main problems, if not THE main problem with the game.

I use some 3rd party mouse cursor improvement which simply increases the mouse cursor size to like three or four times, which helps a lot, but after leaving the game window two or three times (I play on a multi-screen setup) it does not work anymore, so I would love an official fix within GW2.

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

In addition, I would greatly appreciate an option to lower or switch off all the spell effects. Would help greatly in zergs.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

At the risk of sounding like a jerk..a promise was made about 10 months that particle effect would toned right down in Pvp content. Maybe if that promise had fulfilled in a timely manner this option wouldn’t be needed. Just say’n. Hollow threats is one thing..empty promises is something else.

Posted by: Kagusaki.3176

Kagusaki.3176

Besides from the cursor vanishing in fights, sometimes when I’m in downed state, my cursor completely disappears and I can’t even click on the person that’s trying to finish me because there’s no cursor on the screen.

Foreman Spur – Level 80 Charrior | Firefister – Level 80 Charrcromancer
The Legion of Charrs [TLC] – Fort Aspenwood’s Finest Charr Guild
You can’t spell Fur Affinity without FA! :3

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I really would like a high visibility cursor without having to open up control panel and fiddle with my computer’s default settings. It’s not like I lose track of my cursor when browsing the internet or using photoshop. GW2 should have an in-game option.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

+1 for improved cursor visibility, or at least an option for it.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

It’s even worse because the cursor turns red over enemies, which makes it even harder to see.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

At the risk of sounding like a jerk..a promise was made about 10 months that particle effect would toned right down in Pvp content. Maybe if that promise had fulfilled in a timely manner this option wouldn’t be needed. Just say’n. Hollow threats is one thing..empty promises is something else.

if i would hunt them down for every promise they didn’t do it would take me about 20 topics to name them all, and they are not all small promises.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Honor where honor is due, this is where the YoloMouse link came from:

I haven’t tried this, but I saw it listed in a thread on Reddit.
I don’t know how this relates to the third-party policy, though, so use it at your own risk.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem… uhmm… the big ugly target bar should be moveable somewhere less obstructive.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

(edited by Plok.5873)

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

+1 so much for a better visible mouse cursor!

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Honor where honor is due, this is where the YoloMouse link came from:

I haven’t tried this, but I saw it listed in a thread on Reddit.
I don’t know how this relates to the third-party policy, though, so use it at your own risk.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem… uhmm… the big ugly target bar should be moveable somewhere less obstructive.

Ah, very good of you to do so. Thank you as well, RoyHarmon.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

+1 to the new request for an old problem that has yet to be addressed!

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Tried out the aforementioned tool, works fine. At least for me this problem is solved.

Should some1 dig out another 3rd party tool to kill that @#+$!!!! huge target frame blocking boss animations + whatnot else, let me know.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

This thread saves lifes! +1

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I’d rather an option to turn down or turn off all the particle effects tbh! They’re simply out of control, especially in a game where you’re supposed to see damage circles or boss tells in order to avoid damage.

Posted by: strifer.7986

strifer.7986

yessss plz thisss + 1000000

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

On Windows, there is a mouse option that you can turn on that will make a visible circle appear around your cursor when you press ctrl. Works while in GW2 as well.

I’m not a designer so I can’t speak as to why or why not the mouse cursor is as it is, but this tip just saved me. Thank you, Olba!!

If I were Arena’s Director of communication i would tell you to not use an official account for this kind of post. You’re an Anera’s employee, you noticed the same issue as we did, you have no idea why it is so, and don’t seems to be willing to find a solution. All you say is this ugly tips, which ruins GW2 UI and immersion, saved you ? Do you think that’s kind of answer we’re waiting from the “Game Support Lead” ?

I’m sorry, I don’t want to be rude with you, but when you use an official account, how hard is it to add a word like : “Im going to have a talk with the designers about that” ? Event if it’s not true, that’s the kind of “official answer” we’re looking for…..

I want to add that If we had more official answers on our requests/suggestions, your post would never had such reaction, so you’re not the one to blame.

Oh and if you are Game Support Lead, i have to tell you that every time i had to deal with your team, they did great work and were very nice, so thumbs up for that !

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

The cursor disappears when you right click. Just letting you guys know

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

Between the magic, disappearing cursor and the seizure-inducing particle effects, it can be deuced difficult to target anything when there’s a crowd around. They need to have a graphics option to turn off or reduce particles and size options for the cursor.

While we’re dreaming it would also be nice if they fixed the camera and allowed first person.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

It’s even worse because the cursor turns red over enemies, which makes it even harder to see.

Very true, I haven’t noticed that. The cursor should be any other color considering that enemies have red names. In a wvw battle the full screen turns red if you have the option to show enemy names.

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

The cursor disappears when you right click. Just letting you guys know

Both left and right click. A REAL annoyance for mouse turners. To the devs: could we have the option to keep the cursor visible on mouse click?

Posted by: Amplifiction.8413

Amplifiction.8413

I agree with OP.

Hitman.5829

On Windows, there is a mouse option that you can turn on that will make a visible circle appear around your cursor when you press ctrl. Works while in GW2 as well.

I’m not a designer so I can’t speak as to why or why not the mouse cursor is as it is, but this tip just saved me. Thank you, Olba!!

Can you guys share the secret/tip. How do you activate it?

StinVec.3621

In Windows > Start Menu > Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options tab > At the bottom enable location marker option

Attachments:

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

There is a program called YOLOmouse, that overlays a useful cursor on top of the cursor for any 32-bit application (GW2 presumably included). It works the exact same manner as the Windows “show location of pointer” feature does, except it’s continuous, and allows for a few different cursors to be selected. If using the native windows feature is presumably acceptable (as one may imply by Michael Henninger’s response to this thread), and using overlays in WvW to monitor what’s happening on the map effectively is acceptable, one must also conclude that YOLOmouse is also probably acceptable. Obviously, ANET can’t (won’t) say anything one way or the other on that, though.

Some additional cursor options would be very nice (and have been asked for since release), especially given that some of us (myself included) play GW2 on a 30" monitor at 2560×1600 (on large resolutions, the cursor seems proportionally smaller, just as icons denoting buffs/debuffs also seem proportionally smaller), and have additional monitors to the left and the right (and play in windowed fullscreen mode most of the time). This makes “losing” the cursor extremely easy, especially since the most effective way to move in this game is to constantly hold the right mouse button down while moving the mouse to change the camera, which incidentally completely hides the cursor, thus meaning it can pop up anywhere. I’d absolutely love some of these UI QoL changes that people have been asking for since day 1. Heck, if a patch existed that’d show all important buff/debuffs on allies using the simple party display (like, for example, hammer corruption on cliffside), even that would overjoy me at this point.

It’s really sad when one of your favorite PC games is overall very good, but has some flaws as glaring as the very cursor (and that haven’t been fixed despite ~2 years of time to do it).

Hitman.5829

In Windows > Start Menu > Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options tab > At the bottom enable location marker option

Tried that, and every time i press ctrl there is a fainted white circle and is barely visible and most of the time does not show up. It works perfectly when I do not have the game, but when I open the game and use this tip it is unreliable

Posted by: Aeryn Knight.4351

Aeryn Knight.4351

Ive used gw2cursor for a while now it helps a lot

https://github.com/fritzw/gw2-cursor

basically it places an image over the windows cursor and follows it around and doesn’t disappear when you right click!!

full screen windowed mode only though

Posted by: Akimoto.6172

Akimoto.6172

+1

I would love for Arenanet to give us the option to adjust the cursor’s size and color. I keep losing my cursor everytime I see skill effects on my screen may it be from zerging or doing dungeons. Please Arenanet give us this option ASAP. Thank you

StinVec.3621

Tried that, and every time i press ctrl there is a fainted white circle and is barely visible and most of the time does not show up. It works perfectly when I do not have the game, but when I open the game and use this tip it is unreliable

Ah, that’s a shame that it does not work properly. I had not even tried that option for my mouse cursor as I’ve been using yolomouse with custom animated cursors.

I’m still amazed that GW2 doesn’t have the commonly available option of “Disable Custom Cursor” or “Use Desktop Cursor” that most other games I’ve played have. It would solve so many cursor issues that people experience.
ANet, let us use our own.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I am not going to change my mouse option just so I can have it visible in GW2
Add it in game, because I dont need it outside of GW2…

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I am not going to change my mouse option just so I can have it visible in GW2
Add it in game, because I dont need it outside of GW2…

Yep-it’s the only way to do—the devs should fix it!!!!!! period!!!! Windowed mode with 3rd party util-no thanks.
But since it hasn’t been addresed after many requests and other similar threads, I would suggest that they don’t have the expertise or able programmers to do so, OR—( the most likely answer) they can’t be bothered (unless they can add it to the gem store, which would mean an instant fix).

Posted by: Raolin Soulherder.3195

Raolin Soulherder.3195

I’ve tried changing that setting. It works when I’m on the desktop, but doesn’t seem to work in game

StinVec.3621

I’ve tried changing that setting. It works when I’m on the desktop, but doesn’t seem to work in game

Hmm.
Perhaps that function works similarly to some other cursor overlay applications to where it requires Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen mode to be visible on the GW2 cursor. This is due to the graphic on and around your cursor essentially being just an overlay window at the location of the cursor and not a replacement of the actual cursor image. Running in fullscreen mode prevents such windowed elements from being on top of the game window so it may be appearing, just behind the game window at the location of the cursor. Running in Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen mode should allow it to be visible at the location of the cursor when activated.

I highly recommend those having issues to try using yolomouse (thanks again for linking it) until ANet gets around to offering in-game options.

These are some stills of some of the animated cursors I’m currently using.

Attachments:

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

A year later and we still want the same thing.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

And you expected anything different from anet?

Remember, anet devs want to do NEW, EXCITING! stuff. They do not want to go and deal with the old boring things that would make our lives a lot easier.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Don’t want to rework old things to make our lives easier? Got 2 words for you. Feature packs.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lose my pointer all the time, and I’m forced to wave it wildly around the screen until it reappears. Features like this are mildly annoying in PvE and more than annoying in WvW or PvP.

Where oh where can my pointer be
Anet took it away from me
It’s gone, and I don’t know where
So I got to be good
So I can see my pointer
Before I leave this ol’ zerg

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Lose my pointer all the time, and I’m forced to wave it wildly around the screen until it reappears. Features like this are mildly annoying in PvE and more than annoying in WvW or PvP.

Where oh where can my pointer be
Anet took it away from me
It’s gone, and I don’t know where
So I got to be good
So I can see my pointer
Before I leave this ol’ zerg

+1 for the Cavaliers reference.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

So when can we expect this update ?

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Remember, anet devs want to do NEW, EXCITING! stuff. They do not want to go and deal with the old boring things that would make our lives a lot easier.

Did someone say rightclick open all function? :O

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Did someone say rightclick open all function? :O

No, they said an option to toggle See All Allies, instead of running around the map holding down the key.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Can you also give us a particle slider prehaps? Sometimes I cant even seem my character.. its not cool to see only a ball of light in combat

THIS. SO MUCH THIS!

I usually can’t see Mossman or any other Norn (or smaller) sized thing I’m fighting through all the freaking particle effects! I need an option, so bad, to turn them down or off completely.

Oh, and make the cursor more visible, plz. kthxbye.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I made a set of enlarged GW2 mouse cursors a while back, to be used in connection with YoloMouse. It became an essential addon for me – without it, I always lose track of the original pointer that becomes smaller and smaller the larger your screen resolution in GW2 is.

YoloMouse: http://pandateemo.github.io/YoloMouse/

My mouse cursors for YoloMouse: http://www.wombaz.de/uploads/2014/10/gw2mousecursors.zip

A video demonstrating the look and how to apply the cursors in Yolomouse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYc11uUGYfQ

Another “real life” video from the Karka Queen boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoZx3yeGiE8

Yolomouse itself comes with very visible and shrill cursors, but they don’t fit a stylish game like GW2, so I made the above cursors from the original GW2 cursors – try them.

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Yolomouse works REALLY well too. I know its not in game, but its extremely useful in PVP and WVW.

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I’d like a radiant glowing cursor with a slider for size, and electric color options pleezors.

Some of us gamers are getting old now lol.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I would like to address concerns about enlarging mouse pointers as bannable offense, because one might argue that this is an unfair advantage in combat: This is not the case.

You can enlarge the mouse pointer just as I did (with Yolomouse) without any external tools by just turning down your GW2 screen resolution to fullscreen 1268×714 and let your monitor scale this up to the whole screen (which is default for about all monitors). If the native resolution of your monitor is 1920×1080, this would scale the screen back up including the mouse pointer by 50%, and this is exactly what I did with my modified pointers.

Just for a laugh, change your fullscreen resolution to 800×600 or even 640×480 and let your monitor scale this to full screen. You still see the whole game, a bit blurred and less detail, but with a nice huge mouse cursor that you cannot miss even in the largest zerg battle.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I tried the Windows circle thing and it was subpar. Especially since Ctrl is used as a combo key and my object name visibility key that I use constantly. It’s distracting from the actual game. I shouldn’t have to distract myself from the game to find the cursor.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

ArenaNet needs to listen.

I will be filing a complaint with the ADA – those who have lower vision as well as full seeing persons can’t possibly accept a cursor that disappears when it should not and then can’t be found on the screen most of the time when one needs it since the targeting isn’t what they think it is at all.

I don’t want the cursor to disappear.

I do want the cursor to be variable in size for all players to choose what is best for their eyes.

So many very sensible ideas sit year after year on gaming forums, ignored just like on news websites – there are no answers unless thousands have the same issue at the same time.

Eyes with waning abilities need to be able to size the cursor.

Common sense needs to come back to the game – some say it hasn’t been seen since GW1.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Sorry if I’m slightly offtopic (btw I agree with you guys) :
Did they recently change the camera – and most of all curser position as well? I’m having trouble placing aoe as the mouse isn’t in the middle of the screen anymore as it used to be for about 2 weeks after another change – all this tinkering is getting too much for mynerves.