suggestion: NPC followers and base

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

Let us find our own group of followers / friends, who would reside in some home base location. This group would be picked up by player character, who shall first gain their trust by completing a quest line associated with the NPC, and these characters would follow the player on some story based adventures (like living world) and support the player in an effective manner. They also should have their own dialogues and personal stories and could romance among themselves or with the player character. The overall set should be broad enough for every player to pick up companions s/he likes most.

The mechanism should be something like that part of personal story, where player picks up a tribe which would latter support her/him (ie. skritt, ogres, grawls…) in the fight against Zaithan.

The companions acts like team members under players command, where player is a pivot of any story and makes the important decisions.

The whole group of companions (plus any NPC characters like refugees etc. player invites to live here) shall reside in a home base. The home base shall be easily accessible (a free waypoint perhaps?) and should replace player’s home which is very seldom used. I can imagine something like an airship, ship, or house / fortress in LA, anything which would make a good residence for the commander of the Pact.

The home base might also provide some services, like crafting or shopping, maybe even growing some ingredients etc., and can have several quest tied to it and it’s furnishing and equipping. In fact it could replace the world hub and since it would be an personal instance, it might be faster and easier to load and run. It might also have a common chat with other instances like that, allowing players to communicate, and a set of asura gates leading to most important locations – or at least to LA or other world hub.

Posted by: Echoes.8032

Echoes.8032

No no no. Please GOD no. This sounds a lot like a certain feature in “that other mmo”, and is the single biggest contributing factor to me being here now. I just bought GW2 this past Saturday and so far I love it. Fortunately, another company got to own that disaster, but I think GW2 is just fine without it.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No no no. Please GOD no. This sounds a lot like a certain feature in “that other mmo”, and is the single biggest contributing factor to me being here now. I just bought GW2 this past Saturday and so far I love it. Fortunately, another company got to own that disaster, but I think GW2 is just fine without it.

You mean like GW1, where you had henchmen and (later) heroes (who had dialogue and were often parts of the story as you went along) that you controlled and could add to your party for any non-solo pve content?

But yeah, I sometimes miss having heroes and such, but I think Anet wants GW2 to actually have players interact and party with other players more so than trying to solo through lots of things. I don’t know if we’ll ever see something like it in GW2.

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I bought GW1 prophecies a few months ago (better late than never, right?), and while I overall enjoy it, I don’t like the henchmen mechanism. It feels so wrong: why don’t you just do it with friends? I find the GW2 way of handling instanced content a lot better: for some (dungeons) you have to find a complete party to complete (well, if you’re a total PvE scrub like me), and in others (personal story, living world) you can choose to complete from 1 to 5 players, while the events scale (sometimes better than others) accordingly. I wouldn’t want to go back to this system.

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Welcome! Hope you’ll stay with us for a while. See you in game.

Echoes.8032

Welcome! Hope you’ll stay with us for a while. See you in game.

Thanks!

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I sometimes wish I could have some NPC followers, but then I remember how awful the companion AI in this game is, and I figure I’m better off without it, lol.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Echoes.8032

Just re read the OP. Pretty sure the reference was intended. You got me good…

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Heros turned GW1 into a single player game, and we already have a customizable home instance with NPCs somewhat populated from the personal story.

I assume this is a reference to that other mmo, where I watched a friend get excited because her NPCs had just RNGed her a ton of loot off screen. Think she was clicking the RNG button for 20 minuets while she interacted with 0 players on her massive MULTIPLAYER Online rpg.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Heros turned GW1 into a single player game, and we already have a customizable home instance with NPCs somewhat populated from the personal story.

I assume this is a reference to that other mmo, where I watched a friend get excited because her NPCs had just RNGed her a ton of loot off screen. Think she was clicking the RNG button for 20 minuets while she interacted with 0 players on her massive MULTIPLAYER Online rpg.

GW2 is primarily a zerg fest anyways, the interaction isn’t much different.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I liked the Mercenary Heroes in GW1 as it allowed my own characters that I geared up to party with. It could only work with instantced areas of gameplay if it was added.
The downside is that it made the game less about community and AI does not make up for a actual mind controlling a character.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

GW2 is primarily a zerg fest anyways, the interaction isn’t much different.

Even in zergs, you still have a lot of back and forth chat between players. From big things like commanders explaining encounters and map chats our of control to little things like someone saying thanks while you pick then up from downed. There is plenty of social interaction. This is like when people tell me nobody talks in dungeons, but every run I have is a interesting conversation.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

Let me quote myself: “and these characters would follow the player on some story based adventures (like living world) ".
So I speak about solo content. ATM you get some NPC support / company for story or living world solo instances, but they are not helpfull and you did not chose to cooperate with them.