too many black lion skins?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

I agree, that it would be nicer to have more ingame obtainable skins.
I think it would also be for the better design wise, if full sets weren’t released.
Alot of skins look as if the designer thought: “oh, this weapon type, dang how am I gonna fit this theme with this weapon!” And the result is lower quality skins for some weapon types.

On the succesful business topic: What criteria defines a succesful business?
When I look for it on google, I find some aspects that Anet failed to deliver.
If all they want is to make profit, no matter the methods, customers will get fed up.
And eventually move to a competitor. The passed months Anet has been following this trend and it might not be that clear due to the sub-par MMO’s that have been released this year, but some good ones are on their way.

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

The more Black Lion skins they release, the more I don’t want to buy. There’s too much saturation that it turns me off them. The quality of them is better than your average skin but not to the level of a Legendary. So they often fall short of being something particularly special. Especially since weapons usually signify some sort achievement, be it boss loot, crafted legendary, HoM weapons, specializations collections, etc… Most of what the Black Lion skins have going for them are that they once cost 1 ticket.

I admit that they work well if you are looking for a specific theme, its’ just that the theme is usually pretty situational and has a large novelty factor to them. I immediately thought that the Time weapons would be a perfect fit for my Chronomancer… until I saw that they were too literal and the only thing special about them that truly invoked the time concept was the draw sounds. Sure they were shiny and pretty but that’s not a unique character trait.

I have 5 tickets in my bank and I have only ever bought one skin. That was a Dreamthistle Shield because it was the only shield that didn’t clip with my character’s hair and that it was rather special with its’ glow effect matching up with my Sylvari. I should spend the tickets just so I can make some gold but I keep hoping that the next set will be worthy enough to spend them.

I pretty much prize armor skins over weapon skins anyways. When I find a good looking weapon I stick to it, especially if it is something like a Legendary. But I swap Armor skins all the time. So for me, having a hundred or so Black Lion skins released a year is just redundant because at best I’ll only ever bring myself to get one of them.

It was also pretty disappointing that the new Black Lion shield was more intricate than the Chronomancer’s Horologicus. Doesn’t feel right that a mass produced skin had more attention paid to it than an ascended profession weapon.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

On the succesful business topic: What criteria defines a succesful business?
When I look for it on google, I find some aspects that Anet failed to deliver.
If all they want is to make profit, no matter the methods, customers will get fed up.
And eventually move to a competitor. The passed months Anet has been following this trend and it might not be that clear due to the sub-par MMO’s that have been released this year, but some good ones are on their way.

Reality is many people play GW2 because they are sick of the way other game company make profits.

I stick with GW2 because I don’t want to pay subscription and I get fed up with other mmorpg trying to milk their players.

I don’t know what defines a successful business. But I suppose as long as they don’t go bankrupt and have a positive profit, they are doing ok.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

The more Black Lion skins they release, the more I don’t want to buy. There’s too much saturation that it turns me off them. The quality of them is better than your average skin but not to the level of a Legendary. So they often fall short of being something particularly special. Especially since weapons usually signify some sort achievement, be it boss loot, crafted legendary, HoM weapons, specializations collections, etc… Most of what the Black Lion skins have going for them are that they once cost 1 ticket.

I personally only bought a few black lion skins myself.

What I dont’ understand is why are people even complaining. I just get the black lion skins I want. It dont’ bother me there are many other skins that I don’t want.

If Anet is pumping out skins like no tomorrow. You should have more choice. Just get the one you like.

Me personally I get chaos skin, shaodow skin, a few halloween skin look really nice. The other one I just don’t bother.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You are describing an ideology.

If I were to tell you if your kids work hard at school, he’ll get all A’s and will graduate from Harvard law school. The reality is most likely it is too difficult for an average kids to go to Harvard or even get all A’s.

Guild wars franchise begins with an idea that all the players only need to pay a little and will get great amount of entertainment. Now you are telling me a company that try to enforce that idea is “evil”.

The reality is I play Nexon games and there are even less people complaining about them being evil. I play subscription games and no one even complain about 10-15$ per month on the forum.

The funny thing is there seemed to be posts complaining about Anet milking the players everyday.

No, I’m describing how I feel about the game and how I feel about their practices as a company. I have never asked for perfection and if you think you have, you don’t understand at all how my mind works (which is fine, cause you don’t know me). Point is, I have very high standards for myself. I rarely apply anything close to those standards to other people, or even companies. My standards are actually pretty low, compared to the standards I impose on myself.

So don’t try to say I’m asking for ideology because I’m not. I’m asking for what I think constitutes good practice. I never used the word “evil” – that’s ridiculous. The opposite of integrity is not “evil” – it’s “lacking in integrity.”

More on this later, if I remember. I have to go somewhere.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

I love what they’ve done with Aetherized weapons. Take old BLC weapons and turn them into super rare rewards for fractals. I don’t care if I don’t get item X right away, especially if they’re blocked behind the gem store. But if they trickle into rewards, it motivates to play the content for a chance at them.

All the work ANet does to make skins makes them money in the short term, but then everyone gets to enjoy them in the long term. It’s a good system. They just probably need to reduce the time between gemstore and in-game a bit.

what? this is a BRILLIANT idea, not only does it add the skins back in w/o micro transactions but it adds new content to the game through new farms, i didnt even know this was true

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

i think we can all agree that the black lion glittering set should NOT have had melee weps

Um, no we can’t all, actually…

Even if I did agree, which I don’t, if you remove some of the weapons, it makes it less likely people will bother to buy the others.

As people, often, like to have matching weapons for both sets.

Even removing the underwater weaps was a mistake, IMO.

You also have to remember that people have different tastes.

We’re not all the same gender, or the same age group, or sexuality etc..

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)