what race would you make playable?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hydra.9573

Hydra.9573

I would like to see the Largos as a new playable race. Sadly though no one seems to know what I’m talking about when I bring them up in game

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I would like to see the Largos as a new playable race. Sadly though no one seems to know what I’m talking about when I bring them up in game

Your right, I have no idea what you are talking about. If GW2 had more underwater content the Quaggan would be a nice addition. I just have a hard time believing that they would be able to move normally on land. I think the Dredge would be pretty cool to play with all their mech suits and abundance of stuns and knockdowns.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Tengu.

Seriously, it’s time.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Largos needs to be playable- seriously.
They are a major race though, not one of the tribal races that OP is talking about.

Personally I think they are the best contenders after Tengu, which is sort of a given

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Karka. They are one of the oldest races, but have yet had the opportunity to really shine.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I’m jumping on the Tengu bandwagon. Not a whole lot of ‘bird people’ races to play in a lot of games, and imagining them in some of their T3 heavy in super inspiring.

If we wanna go WAY back, I’d want the Margonites in: Tortured souls hoping to redeem themselves. They have a brutal aesthetic too, I swear they took some cues from Hellraiser.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Tengu or death. Largos would be cool, but theres like… 3 in the entire game, and you know nothing about them. Kodan would be cool as well, but I dont think they vary in looks much

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Dragon.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Definatelly Largos. Have 0 interest in all otherpossible races

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I really need to clipboard the rationale that someone posted in one of the other 5000 threads on this topic.

To summarise though:

Forget anything that is a studyable race in the LS. Thats Ogres, Skritt, Hylek, Grawl, Quaggans.

Forget any of the antagonist races/factions. That would be Centaurs (plus, how would they swim?), Nightmare Court, Flame Legion, Inquest, Svanir.

Largos are out as, according to the personal story, they are incredibly rare and avoid contact with all other races if at all possible. It would be as stupid as the Miqo’te in FF14 ARR – they’re supposedly rare and solitary creatures yet the designers make them in such a way that EVERYONE who faps to nekomimi will roll one.

What does this leave us? Kodan, Tengu, Ettin and a handful of others which have groups who are non-antagonistic. Kodan is out right away, they are Norn-based. Tengu are possible but require a very specific armour redesign and we can see what a mess Anet made of Charr armour. Ettin would be fun, but they don’t wear clothes so we can forget them.

Personally, I want to see playable Ooze, but I know it’ll never happen.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

would love to play Skritt – i would sooo reroll all classes again
A Skritt thief with daggers and sunglasses screaming “Shinyyyyy” is coolest thing ever

and i hope they never bring quaggan – this fat emos are uggly and overhyped

and for tengu and the birdies i dotn know why people want this – another oversized big race moving like a truck dont need this game. Just make all jumping puzzles with a big norn or Chaar and you will hate this idea^^

(edited by Romek.4201)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

\
Largos are out as, according to the personal story, they are incredibly rare and avoid contact with all other races if at all possible. It would be as stupid as the Miqo’te in FF14 ARR – they’re supposedly rare and solitary creatures yet the designers make them in such a way that EVERYONE who faps to nekomimi will roll one.

Largos- while rare- since they come for the endless ocean- are not solitary creatures at all.
They have a very structured society made up of the great Houses, the NPC’s we come into contact with belong to one faction the Tethyos Compact.

They do keep to themselves but seeing that they are basically fleeing horrors in the unending ocean there is no reason why they cannot mingle with the other races- they did co-exist with the quaggans for instance.

Btw being a 42 year old female that has apparently lived a sheltered life, I had to Google nekomini- and all I can say is don’t know how you get from there to Largos.
but allrighty then :P

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

Tengu
Largos
Skritt
With Tengu it’s a matter of time and Largos fill the lacking gap in the humanoid & edgy department. Skritt could be the dedicated “cute & rascally” race.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Largos- while rare- since they come for the endless ocean- are not solitary creatures at all.
They have a very structured society made up of the great Houses, the NPC’s we come into contact with belong to one faction the Tethyos Compact.

They do keep to themselves but seeing that they are basically fleeing horrors in the unending ocean there is no reason why they cannot mingle with the other races- they did co-exist with the quaggans for instance.

Btw being a 42 year old female that has apparently lived a sheltered life, I had to Google nekomini- and all I can say is don’t know how you get from there to Largos.
but allrighty then :P

The Largos are incredibly aloof and arrogant, as well as considerably too ‘dark’ in nature to be a heroic race. They also follow their own doctrines, as you say, which do not often coincide with the needs or other races:

“I live according to the dictates of the Tethyos Compact, with honor and without mercy. My presence here is in service of those dictates.”

“The ruling houses of the largos convened and agreed upon a set of principles to guide our people. This is all I care to share with you. Be glad I’ve said this much.”

This basically means that they don’t care if all the land races are exterminated, as long as it does not involve their personal politics. Their entire mystique relies on theim being extremely secretive, and making them a playable race would destroy that mystique.

Only a handful are seen in the game, and they are usually abrupt, aggressive or murderous (such as the Unseen Hunter in the dynamic event in Brisban Wildlands). I cannot see them being, or being able to be, applied as an actual detailed playable race.

The nekomimi reference was only there since the Miqo’te are supposed to be rare and solitary creatures whereas nekomimi (which they basically are) are extraordinarily popular amongst anime and manga fans. The popularity of bunny/catgirls in anime and manga completely opposes the supposed lore of the Miqo’te.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Charr. With the enormous amount of armor issues (clipping, for example), they aren’t currently playable.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Either Kodan or Tengu seem plausible, but I don’t really care. I will always play human.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I like Skirt,rest of the races are just mehhh in my opinion

Posted by: hannahwho.2859

hannahwho.2859

My first choice would be the largos. They look so amazing and we know so little about them. I would gladly delete my thief alt to make a largos thief.

Yes, i am a ranger that mains a longbow. Problem?

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

I just know that if they’ll seriously add Quaggan and Skritt as playable races, the game would reach the bottom, truly couldn’t fall lower than that.
The only race that will surely be added some time, is Tengu. They are already designed, as well as their main city Dominion of Winds. This was supposed to be in game since release, that’s why it’s the only sure option.
Largos might be dropped in as well some time, probably when and if, the Deep Sea Dragon will be fought. If you visit Lore forum, you’ll have all of your question answered, and if having hopes about centaurs, quaggan, skritt etc, you’ll have your heart broken.
(https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/6th-playable-race-what-s-your-top-3-pick/page/9#post2020947) Very well explained why your beloved races won’t be in game.

\||||||/
O°v°O

(edited by Pip.2094)

Posted by: Guerbe.7068

Guerbe.7068

Tengu were supposedly going to be in the game at release, and then nothing came of it. Then ANet didn’t recognize the Tengu almost at all in the recent Living Story. So… My opinion is ANet isn’t likely to add the Tengu whatsoever.

Unfortunately for me, but apparently not unfortunately for anyone else, Largos are the most likely upcoming new playable race. Even though Heket, Quaggan and Skritt were heavily represented in the personal story, Largos are most likely what ANet will be adding next. ANet loves their pet races, as made obvious by the Sylvari.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I wouldn’t want any of the “lesser races” as the OP suggested, personally. I think they’re all too limited in one way or another to be playable, mostly in terms of armor and such. Most of them wear very little if any armor, so translating that to any of the armor available to players would be extremely difficult (and based on Charr, I don’t think they want any races that would be even harder to make armor for).

I’d go for Tengu first, and then Largos. Beyond that, I don’t really see any other races that are good candidates, at least not in the world at this point. Perhaps there would be others when different parts of the map open or they could introduce a brand new race, though they’d have to be crafty with something like that in terms of the lore.

Posted by: Nuwen.8190

Nuwen.8190

Why even limit it to a single race? I would actually like to see 2 or 3 races added in a single content release. Why not Tengu and Kodan? I personally would prefer Kodan, but I understand the player requests and interest in the Tengu as a player race as well.

Always be loyal to your Krewe.
Krewe Master Tekk | TC

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

1. Tengu
2. Krait/Naga
3. Skritt

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

A Skritt thief with daggers and sunglasses screaming “Shinyyyyy” is coolest thing ever

and for tengu and the birdies i dotn know why people want this – another oversized big race moving like a truck dont need this game. Just make all jumping puzzles with a big norn or Chaar and you will hate this idea^^

I’m fine with it.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

tengu preferably tengu martial artist

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Djinn, if we ever get into Elona or tap into a city of unknown Tyrian Djinn.

Think about it:
The race is humanoid – and should therefore be easy to make armor for.
The race has been shown to be intelligent through individuals in Nightfall.
The race is visually distinct from other ones in the game.
The race exhibits large visual diversity (we already know of Ruby Djinn, Sapphire Djinn, Diamond Djinn, and others – and there may be more unknown types).
They are the only Elona-native race (other than Centaurs) that meet all of the criteria for a playable race.
They can be bound to any city or location, lore-wise. Ashdashim(sp?) would be a natural choice of racial city.

(edited by Duke Blackrose.4981)

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I was ready to respond with Skritt, thinking that no one would say Skritt! The Skritt are awesome, and would love to see them as a playable race. The potential story lines describing how a lesser race gains “playable” importance within Tyria would be so interesting and revealing.

On a different note, the race I least want to play would be Quaggan. Referring to oneself in the third person isn’t cute!

I agree with others that the most likely next race will be Tengu.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

Largos I hope will be added. I think their sense of debt payment will be a major factor of why they join the other races when we fight Bubbles.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I’m fine with it.

Agreed – I’ve already done every JP on charr, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Owing to Talon Silverwing, playable Tengu would be top of my list.

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

I’d like to see Skritt or Krait.

No birdbrains, seacows, or lamebears please.

A maybe on the largos, at this point they seems to be more of a cheesy joke than anything.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

Krogan.

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

1. Quaggan..(including the Quaggan finisher )
2. Ettin (Charr being the only big clumsy looking race is just not enough :P )
3. Skritt (Imagine all those lovely and humorous war cries" you ran from Skriiit!")

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Canthans
I dont care that they are also humans…

Posted by: Shoryuken.9435

Shoryuken.9435

Canthans
I dont care that they are also humans…

They lived in Lions before they “deleted” it and made the great collapse instead. Sad, because it looked fantastic.

Attachments:

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’d sort of prefer to keep things simple and just stick with the 5 we have honestly.

But I guess if they had to do more…

Kodan, for when we go after Jormag. After all, the Kodan, like the Norn, were pushed from the northern reaches of the Shiverpeaks. They might have some interesting lore (I would hope) and a decent desire to beat that dragon into pulp.

Largos, for when we go after Bubbles. Displaced deep sea race….going after the deep sea dragon. Yup, logic. Works for me. Of course, there’s the whole stealthy teleporting ‘thief’ (since the other word is kittened XD) thing going for that race too…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Give me bonestorm Skritt or go to hell.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I’d go with tengu, definitively. They look great, they have LOTS of posibilities for customizing (feather color/design, beak shape/size and so on), and they already have a big zone surrounded by low level maps reserved for their starting areas, plus their enviroments would be something entirely new (maybe canthan/asian inspired areas).

Other races and why I’d rather have tengu instead:

Koden: While they’re my second choice, they’re a bit too much like the norn (actually, they believe the norn are de-evolved koden that can only become bears for short time).

Largos: They’re cool, but big part of that “coolness” comes from the way they’re portrayed in the living story and in the few times we meet one in the open world, as the brooding anti-hero type with dark armor and an aura of mistery around themselves because you can’t even see their faces. Imagine how “cool” a largos would be dancing in the middle of LA wearing a bright pink feathered armor. Also, before they become a playable race I’d like to see a heavy redesign of underwater combat (at the very least allow to have separate underwater builds and gear).

Ogres: their whole culture revolves around having and using pets in combat, I feel they’re too biased towards one profession (rangers) because of that, would either break the lore by having only ogre rangers use pets, or dilute the ranger’s “thing” by allowing everyone to use one.

Skritt: too dumb when alone, need numbers to become smart

Quagan and Hylek: would look too weird wearing most of the available armor in game.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Largos would be my first choice.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Kodan and Largos. I can’t wait to make a Kodan named Kola Bear.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

- Tengus

- Redesigned Largos in the way I’ve suggested it a few months ago last year in a thread from somebody else who talked about them.

Anything else should never ever become playable at all.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I’ve always wanted them to find some justification to bring back the dwarves.

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Which animal(s) would a Quaggan Ranger use as a pet?

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Largos, but since pretty much everyone hates underwater combat, I don’t think it is going to happen.

I like underwater combat, but maybe it is because my main is a ranger.

Also, Kodans. Their culture is really interesting.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Virtually none of the humanoid races appeal to me, aesthetically or otherwise. Tengu are kind of a ‘maybe’, I think they’d have been a better choice for the obligatory monster-type race than the Charr. Them or the Grawl, I kind of dig those guys as well.

Would much rather have Cantha and Elona available though, with their citizens as distinct races, their own cultural armour and weapons etc.