what's the point of SAB

what's the point of SAB

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I get it was an april joke back then, but it has no place in this world whatsoever, and only creates a lot of noise in the rest of the world.. isn’t it time we get rid of it?

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

“Super Adventure Box was created to teach valuable lessons to asuran progeny, but it’s fun for all ages.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/april-01-2016/

Also why not?

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

please tell me how a holographic game within the game world has no place within it.

just because you don’t like the temporary festival content that is available in the game, doesn’t mean it should be removed. it’s a bit of fun, like Halloween and Wintersday. nothing more than that, and fits quite nicely within the game world as far as I’m concerned. Moto (the creator of SAB) has been mentioned as helping Taimi. he has a place in this world, and so does his creation.

it’s like saying raids should be removed because their inclusion creates a lot of noise, and if you ask some they have no place in this world because they lack a story mode mostly and because they are so far removed from other group content within the game (I’m not anti raid, it’s just an example).

just ignore it, and move on if you don’t like it.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Some people find it fun. What other reason is there to have anything in a game?

I’m not sure what you mean about creating a lot of noise in the rest of the world either. SAB is completely self-contained, if you don’t go to Rata Sum and walk into the box you will never see any of it. So it’s less disturbing to the rest of the world than other festivals like Wintersday and Halloween that change at least some of the main maps.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s a festival. Like all the other festivals it’s set up and only needs whatever yearly debugging each festival requires to work. There’s no reason to single out this one festival to be discontinued as it’s no more work than the others.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

what's the point of SAB

Amaimon.7823

I mean, I would like to say “don’t like it, don’t do it”
but the problem with this is that it requires dev attention that’s withdrawn from raiding, LS or other content. And it adds weapons that break immersion worse than a set of huge wings. And lets not forget the miniatures with their cringy 8-bit sounds.. Sorry, but this ‘festival’ does actually do harm

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Kazeshini.6710

Kazeshini.6710

The point is that there are a lot of people who look forward to it.
There won’t be a new world this year so I don’t understand why you would think that it requires so much dev attention.
If it weren’t for SAB I would probably take a break around this time since I don’t really have anything to do atm.
If you don’t like it, don’t do it and no, it does not harm the rest of the content.
Also, how can miniature sounds be cringy?

Sorry but this just seems like a thread to whine about an event you don’t enjoy. Festivals will always require some dev time but they’re needed, it’s a nice break for players.

what's the point of SAB

Just a flesh wound.3589

The main part of your argument is that the SAB takes dev time away from stuff you want to do and adds items you consider immersion breaking. That’s insufficient reason to remove it as others do like this festival and don’t consider it immersion breaking. If you’re going to argue on the grounds of dev time and immersion there’s a lot of other items that take far more dev time and are more immersion breaking than this festival.

ANet may give it to you.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

but the problem with this is that it requires dev attention that’s withdrawn from raiding,

Problem is that SAB gets zero attention from dev’s it has been years since we have had new content related to it.

As for raids, it is a bane on the game, the day it was introduced to the game was a travesty. No one asked for raids and very few people bother doing them, even the raid LFG is just used for trading these days.

That said, everyone deserves the content they like, you get your rubbish raids and SAB fans should get their favourite content too.

Stop being so selfish Amaimon, the game is not made just for you.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

but the problem with this is that it requires dev attention that’s withdrawn from raiding, LS or other content. And it adds weapons that break immersion worse than a set of huge wings. And lets not forget the miniatures with their cringy 8-bit sounds.. Sorry, but this ‘festival’ does actually do harm

It doesn’t take away any time from content creators, since it’s an annual thing just copypasted from the previous years. Also, what’s this about “breaking immersion”? Guild Wars 2 is not, nor has ever been, an immersive sim. It’s an MMO set in a fantasy world, so not exactly the optimal environment for those who want immersion in their game.

What actually does harm are people who take this game, and themselves too seriously.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I get it was an april joke back then, but it has no place in this world whatsoever, and only creates a lot of noise in the rest of the world.. isn’t it time we get rid of it?

It is unfortunate that in a game based on and full of wonderful story, the developers have to constantly waste their time and distract us from that wonderful world with SAB and mini-games (adventures). I also HATE that they force mini-games on us during the Story by replacing our character skills and making us play a mini-game. I don’t play GW2 to play OTHER games.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

I never liked sab….never will…so I will not join it…that’s that.

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Don’t like it. Won’t play it. However, others enjoy it so bring it on and let them have their fun!

SBI

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The point of SAB is the same as the point of every other piece of content in the game…to entertain players.

It doesnt interest me, but, clearly, others enjoy it. I guess it is fulfilling its purpose.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m confused at how the SAB weapons break immersion. I could see it if they looked blatantly 8-bit (like the weapons you actually use within SAB) how that would clash. But they don’t. They’re glowy holographic weapons, with a few blocky design bits on the non-glowing parts. There’s plenty of instances of holograms in Asuran tech, so that’s not really unusual at all. Is it just because holograms shouldn’t be able to interact with the world? Because the weapon skins themselves have a description that explains that too, calling them “state-of-the-art solid holography”. Solid holograms doesn’t sound all that farfetched considering all the other fantastical magic tech in the world.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

The point of SAB is to have fun.
Wouldn’t it be interesting to have anet post how many people play SAB and how many do Raids? I suspect the question is where are they really wasting their time.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

im raging over your thread

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

Point of SAB is something called “time-filler” like unskipable dialogues in living story.
It’s basically like a duct tape, a duct tape used to fix Titanic’s torn sideboard.

If there would be new world after 5 years now added – i would not say things like this. (because it’s almost 5 years since SAB was first introduced and there is NOTHING new added – repainted skinns are an no-effort thing thus they count into being nothing)

what's the point of SAB

zengara.8301

5 years? kitten bruh more like 3

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Look at it this way, if enough people enjoy this content it’s beneficial to the game, brings more revenue and active players back into the game.

Ressources are only wasted if the amount used is in no relation to the effect they generate. In this case it’s safe to assume that with the amount of people enjoying SAB it’s an overall net positiv. Let’s assume arenanet would have pulled the plug if this wasn’t the case.

I’m confused at how the SAB weapons break immersion. I could see it if they looked blatantly 8-bit (like the weapons you actually use within SAB) how that would clash. But they don’t. They’re glowy holographic weapons, with a few blocky design bits on the non-glowing parts. There’s plenty of instances of holograms in Asuran tech, so that’s not really unusual at all. Is it just because holograms shouldn’t be able to interact with the world? Because the weapon skins themselves have a description that explains that too, calling them “state-of-the-art solid holography”. Solid holograms doesn’t sound all that farfetched considering all the other fantastical magic tech in the world.

This, and even more this with current events in the Season 3 Living World story. The holo weapons fit better than ever into the game world. Better than some of the say glider skins.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

First time SAB came i hated it, cause i hate ‘indie games’. Second time, i rushed for it, cause i wanted the achievements. And apart from the last (ice) level, i had a very fun time in SAB, it’s ‘something different for while’, wich can be a great thing to prevent boredom in a game. Maybe op should try it.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

TLDR; “Stop having fun doing things that I don’t like.”

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

isn’t it time we get rid of it?

No.

(Speaking as someone who didn’t set foot in SAB in 2016 and probably won’t in 2017 either.)

I get it was an april joke back then,

True, but irrelevant at this point. It became a full-fledged part of content when it was re-released with a new world etc.

but it has no place in this world whatsoever,

It has as much place in the world as any other bit of content. There’s a story behind its creation, just as there’s a story behind fractals or raids.

and only creates a lot of noise in the rest of the world..

It creates a lot of noise in the forums and reddit, but not in Tyria.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

Because in this utterly depressing world where at least one person MUST DIE per episode/chapter it’s a relief to actually have something fun and lighthearted instead of “THE WORLD IS ENDING” .. again.

It’s like the Q episodes in Next Generation or the Once More with Feeling episode from Buffy. I certainly like SAB more than Heart of Thrones.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Some people find it fun. What other reason is there to have anything in a game?

This.

I’m not sure what you mean about creating a lot of noise in the rest of the world either. SAB is completely self-contained, if you don’t go to Rata Sum and walk into the box you will never see any of it. So it’s less disturbing to the rest of the world than other festivals like Wintersday and Halloween that change at least some of the main maps.

Don’t the backpacks and minis make noise? I seem to remember that they did back before I decided I would play GW2 without sound going forward.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

5 years? kitten bruh more like 3

My bad, first SAB was on the first spring of GW2 -2013 so yeah… only 4 years.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

It is a time waster for players to do while we wait for meaningful stuff to be released which at this point my guess is in a couple years.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Would you rather they had nothing until the next ls episode?

Sab is just an amusing little thing to do once a year, a nice break from the usual stuff.

If they get rid of it, knowing how Anet is now, they wouldn’t replace it with anything and it would just be another huge gap with no content and many of their fans that would be happy with what they had have moved on and what is left are the wow style played they tempted in with raids and “hardcore” content.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Zaraki.5784

Zaraki.5784

That’s the perfect definition of “different opinions”, what you dislike is what like the most, imho they could get rid of everything else but DON’T TOUCH MY SAB!

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

It’s like the Q episodes in Next Generation or the Once More with Feeling episode from Buffy. I certainly like SAB more than Heart of Thrones.

Even though the Storm Wizard is clearly the Mouth of Mordremoth?

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Noxistence.9376

Noxistence.9376

cause i hate ‘indie games’.

Eh, you lose so much masterpieces…

what's the point of SAB

Amaimon.7823

[/quote]

I take it you haven’t had the pleasure of seeing the minis and their cringey 8-bit noises?

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I take it you haven’t had the pleasure of seeing the minis and their cringey 8-bit noises?[/quote]

I take it you don’t realize that removing SAB from the game wouldn’t remove the minis. If your concern is with the noise, ask for something to address that, e.g. like a “switch” to turn off mini sounds.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

By that logic, absolutely anything that consumes development resources may be said to cause harm. As you have no means of performing a cost/benefit analysis on SAB, this is really just a reflection of your preference. It is not an indication of actual harm to the game.

As for immersion? Seriously?

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Don’t like it. Won’t play it. However, others enjoy it so bring it on and let them have their fun!

Need more people like you. Seriously.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

what's the point of SAB

Just a flesh wound.3589

I take it you haven’t had the pleasure of seeing the minis and their cringey 8-bit noises?

The minis are gemstore items. They’ll still be there even if SAB was removed from the game.

ANet may give it to you.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Sarpan.9074

Sarpan.9074

Need more people like you. Seriously.

I agree with both these folk.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Its just a fun little thing they added in the game back then. I enjoy challenge but im no masochist so im not all that into it. It’s a case of "if it makes others happy and it doesn’t affect me in any way i dont care". So why should u?

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’m not particularly fond of SAB, and I’ve never really liked the skins. That being said, there are plenty of people who do enjoy it and I see no reason to be a killjoy. Let gamers have what fun they will!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

what's the point of SAB

zengara.8301

isn’t it time we get rid of it?

No.

(Speaking as someone who didn’t set foot in SAB in 2016 and probably won’t in 2017 either.)

I get it was an april joke back then,

True, but irrelevant at this point. It became a full-fledged part of content when it was re-released with a new world etc.

but it has no place in this world whatsoever,

It has as much place in the world as any other bit of content. There’s a story behind its creation, just as there’s a story behind fractals or raids.

Not create a lot of noise in tyria? So there wasnt a marathon for like 2-3 days straight where people wanted to burn down Rata Sum? Or that 50+ people suicided multiple times for SAB 2 years ago?? lol bruh, get your new player thoughts up to par with reality

what's the point of SAB

zengara.8301

bruh, if a game ever had a revolution, that was it

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

If only it would take dev attention from raiding! Every time I read about an update for those raiding things, I wonder if they really have nothing better to do. Like adding content that everybody enjoys, instead of a few privileged few.

There are other minis that make sounds, some backpacks even make sounds. Do you want those removed as well?

And thirdly, immersion. For me, those silly huge wings, that can’t be folded back when you’re not in the air just don’t make sense. Every parachute, every wing, everything but a fixed wing gets folded in one way or another. But not in GW2. I call that immersion breaking!

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s an annual event Anet devs do not need to put any work into. Thanks to it, stuff happens in the game, and some people get something to do, without any need to spend additional dev effort on it. Things like that are important, because they give Anet time to work on some new stuff, without players complaining that they have nothing to do.

Yes, it is a bit silly, but apparently some people do like it. And while personally i don’t really like it, if it really withdraws dev attention from raiding, it can’t be that bad.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

what's the point of SAB

Abelisk.4527

I do ‘t get why people complain about SAB being difficult if there’s an infantile mode.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Pretty much my feeling, however I have no problem with it being here for people that want it (unless it diverts resources from something else). I looked in once, found it just an old video game that I could play with my character, and have never looked back. Last year I did not even go in it at all.

what's the point of SAB

Amaimon.7823

I do ‘t get why people complain about SAB being difficult if there’s an infantile mode.

that’s not the topic :p

what's the point of SAB

Abelisk.4527

Ok then I’ll bite. SAB’s a loveletter for players who enjoy platformers and are inspired by games of the NES / SNES era. Of course, releasing content for an MMORPG requires most players being able to enjoy an update’s content, so if SAB was heavily hated by the community then of course this thread would make sense. But where it stands, players enjoy SAB for what it is and Anet basically scored a win there. GW2 in particular seems to attract a vast range of players wanting to play GW2 for various reasons, and the appeal to play can be rekindled by content such as SAB.

Tl;dr it’s all about player appeal

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: polarbear.2497

polarbear.2497

First time SAB came i hated it, cause i hate ‘indie games’. Second time, i rushed for it, cause i wanted the achievements. And apart from the last (ice) level, i had a very fun time in SAB, it’s ‘something different for while’, wich can be a great thing to prevent boredom in a game. Maybe op should try it.

Well, SAB has nothing to do with “indie games”, so I’m not sure what you mean by that. If anything, it’s a tribute to mass-market (decidedly non-indie) console games.

In the end, however, I agree with those who say SAB is there for the people who enjoy it, and can safely be ignored by those who do not. I am one of those who does enjoy it!

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

What’s the point of SAB you ask? To have some fun ofcourse. First time i jumped in i kittened myself laughing about it. Made me go back to my childhood playing mario and the like on the 16bit nintendo.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

what's the point of SAB

Posted by: Kururu.8140

Kururu.8140

I love how people always complain about the lack of content and then when Anet gives us content like SAB it’s ’what’s the point?’.

The point is to have fun.