wooden chest loot is not dropping correctly?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

They’re not bugged, it’s used for culling issues in PvE. Before you would have a ton of lootable corpses on the ground that caused framerate lag over a simple common drop.

Now when the game detects that there is too much corpses, it converts all of the bodies into chests. It does not matter if they are uncommon or greater.

If this is true, then why do patch notes not state so? The notes clearly state that chests spawn for loot uncommon or higher, and that lesser rarities remain on the bodies. If it was related to culling, we would also be seeing them everywhere during large events (Orr temples and dragons), but I just did the Claw of Jormag with a large group, and no such chests. Culling of players and enemy corpses was still very apparent, however.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

They’re not bugged, it’s used for culling issues in PvE. Before you would have a ton of lootable corpses on the ground that caused framerate lag over a simple common drop.

Now when the game detects that there is too much corpses, it converts all of the bodies into chests. It does not matter if they are uncommon or greater.

If this is true, then why do patch notes not state so? The notes clearly state that chests spawn for loot uncommon or higher, and that lesser rarities remain on the bodies. If it was related to culling, we would also be seeing them everywhere during large events (Orr temples and dragons), but I just did the Claw of Jormag with a large group, and no such chests. Culling of players and enemy corpses was still very apparent, however.

There are a lot of things in the game not stated in the patch notes.

Posted by: Aelaren.3784

Aelaren.3784

Then why do I get chests in pretty empty locations with no one around?
What is the source of your info? I rather think you just made that up as a lame excuse for Anet bug.

mrstealth.6701

There are a lot of things in the game not stated in the patch notes.

This might be true, but the patch notes explicitly state how these chests should function, and they are certainly not functioning in that manner, hence them being bugged.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Not bugged yet not doing what anet said they’re supposed to do.
Not bugged yet they still remain and clog up areas after being looted along with corpses, so not really stop culling but actually causing it.
Zero for two there champ.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Wesley Of Florin.2150

Wesley Of Florin.2150

I’ve received about 20 of these chests so far and all have acted as stated in the patch notes. Each has contained a green item or higher.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

i have gotten nothing but lower level mats from chest

Posted by: Brenna.7109

Brenna.7109

In no less than 3 separate instances, I was unable to open the wooden chest after an event. Don’t think they’re working as intended.

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

I got a blue and a green in the chest. And the chests are very hard to see sometimes, and often won’t spawn right away, so you can easily miss them

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Had zero corpses in the area apart from the 2 I just killed, had 2 chests spawn … there was no corpse culling issue.

Again different area, had 1 chest spawn, the corpse I just killed, no other dead bodies in sight.

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Just jumping in here to inform you that this thread, as well as the one related to the chest in fractals having the same issue (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Little-Chests-in-Fractals-Providing-Junk/first#post1333086) are being forwarded to the team so they can fix this.

Thanks for your understanding. Please keep providing us with as much info as you can to help us.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Other players chests are visible to you as well, those are the unlootable ones that were referenced above.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve never even seen a chest, not even when I’m told there is one on the ground. Lag or rendering problem maybe?

Can someone tell me how big they are?

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

All it means is that your rare drops now come in chests. Green and below will still be on the critters corpse.

I’ve only gotten one chest so far and it contained a green.

lisamee.2408

When you kill an exploding risen (plague carriers) the chest does not appear for a long time after the corpse has disappeared.

lisamee.2408

I’ve never even seen a chest, not even when I’m told there is one on the ground. Lag or rendering problem maybe?

They are very small and brown. So in the dark Orr zones, you can barely see them.

lisamee.2408

All it means is that your rare drops now come in chests. Green and below will still be on the critters corpse.

I’ve only gotten one chest so far and it contained a green.

My chest included a level 65 green, and i am level 80.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They are very small and brown. So in the dark Orr zones, you can barely see them.

Small and brown while containing better loot (or supposed to), who thought up this design? That is a problem with Orr, caves, the Charr areas and nighttime. They need to be brightly colored with sparkles.

Posted by: Helenorz.2547

Helenorz.2547

then the patch note should not say that though? it’s misleading?

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Got a rare lv 78 GS from an ice elemental in the chest. The second time was a green upgrade jewel chunk.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: OneBigPear.1249

OneBigPear.1249

I find it odd and clunky to have yet another item I need to be on the look-out for when there are already defeated beasties that sparkle when there’s loot available. I guess I just don’t understand why it was necessary to separate loot retrieval based on rarity.

I don’t mind Orion Templar.4589’s point:

I’d prefer they drop the requirement to press a key to pick up loot and just have it auto-loot items into your inventory (still have loot appear briefly on the right side like it does already). Saves time and saves needing to have the game render the gold sparklies or the wooden chests.

Edited to add: Another benefit of not having to spam F for loot is then you don’t repeatedly accidentally start conversations with NPCs.

(edited by OneBigPear.1249)

lisamee.2408

What is the purpose of this chest? Why are the players not informed?

I think this new “chest” must have been designed as another anti-bot variable…which adds yet another annoying type of gameplay.

mrstealth.6701

When you kill an exploding risen (plague carriers) the chest does not appear for a long time after the corpse has disappeared.

Are you sure this is only happening with these limited mobs? There have been other reports of an overall reduction in loot, and this could be the cause if chests are not appearing till the corpses are gone.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

I don’t understand this change either. It seems completely unnecessary… just one more thing to load on the map. Not to mention, every single time I have gotten one, and the mob has dropped an item from each category, I have to loot the corpse AND the chest. When doing a farming run, I have actually returned to areas in which I looted corpses, only to find I left a chest behind. I have found this change to be nothing more than a need to button mash the loot key even more.

Please, Anet, just go back to looting only mobs.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: Gretl.3156

Gretl.3156

Guys, did you actually notice that there exist not only Wooden chests?
Sorry if someone has already mentioned it, but I had once a Steel chest from the champion containing a green and exotic. Wooden chests so far still give either good stuff or junk.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Wow, it’s been so long since I got one of these I’d forgotten they existed. O_o

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

I don’t understand why we can see other player’s chest. It would be great if that wouldn’t be possible.

And then please just put in rares or exotics.. it is very annoying if there is indeed a chest that is for me (I don’t know when it is one for me, so every time I see one I try to loot it.. 50% of time it is not for me ^^) and then it contains something like:
- porous bones
- salvageable hide

Not amused.
If you can’t do it right, please undo the chest thing.
Thanks.

(edited by Navi.7142)

Navi.7142

Lol?
Another two chests for me (Hurraaaaay!), but both times 2 porous bones? Are you kidding me?

:-(

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I have a suggestion for why these are bugged: you see other people’s chests.
basically, if 2 people kill a vet, you might get a white pistol off the corpse while the other person gets a masterwork out of the chest. there wouldn’t be any way to distinguish if the sparkles are coming from the corpse or the chest sitting on the corpse.
that said, I’ve killed things solo and got things from chests that might should not of been there, like unid dyes and salvageable materials and piles of dust. Myself, I haven’t noticed any basic equipment from chests, just white/blue items exampled above. Most of the time I just see the ‘Search’ button and I press it.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

I had 4 chests drop in different zones and all gave me greens thus far. What is interesting is I had two yellows drop not from a chest – or its’ just hard to notice those chests and I tend to loot fairly quickly.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

I really don’t understand why they felt that introducing these chests was a good use of time and resources. Did I miss all the threads from players complaining that looting corpses was too difficult?

I don’t mind them. Making them drop on a Champion makes sense though.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I can confirm in getting blues and greens mostly from those little wooden chests, i’ve only ever had one yellow item from those chests..

I’m also still getting Greens off monsters bodies regularly…

An on another Note is cursed Shore Moldy Bags bugged i only get T5 mats while Malchors Leap gives T6 yet Cursed is a higher map? shouldn’t they both give T6 mats…

Also i’m finding these chest things very hard to see and slow to appear….

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: jdkentucky.2871

jdkentucky.2871

I started back playing after a 4 week break. In 3 days 3 chests only.. The loot is not as good as it used to be but it is what it is cant change it. at times it is pretty sad when armor repairs are more than you got in loot. This is including my 80 lvl account.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I have seen these chests twice (friend’s drops, not mine). One had a “green” (masterwork) weapon in it. The other had a “yellow” (rare) crafting item in it.

I would love to hear an official explanation on why this loot couldn’t just remain on the corpse. Those chests are much, much, MUCH harder to see than the corpses and I can’t even begin to imagine how many I may have missed since the patch (seeing as I finally happened to notice my first one last night and have been playing every day since the patch).

(edited by Edge.4180)

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

A golden/green coloured chest with fireworks would have worked better IMO. The point is, the chest should be easily visible, which in the general is not.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Snores.7806

Snores.7806

Lol, I think this problem just shows what a lot of players have been saying for months now. The loot/dr system is just utterly kittenen broken.
there have been threadnaughts about the looting/dr problems in this game and the best answer we can get from Anet is “working as intended”. After 3 months of Pr bs about their utterly broken DR system I was hoping the chests were a step in the right direction. Nice to see Anet are, at the very least, consistently inept

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I just killed a small spider in AC, got a chest, and it contained a glob of globby goo. I would not consider that uncommon or higher.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

For me, since the inception of the chests:
1st one had a green item. 2nd one had white trash/trophy item.
after these the chests seem to vary with their items from ‘working as intended’ and including greens or the single rare, to ‘bugged’ and giving porous bones, spider legs, and other such trash items.

They are hard to see at times and this also depends on terrain.
It would be nice if they had a small ‘aura’ on them like the Skritt Theif bags do. You know that purple glow that goes away once you loot the bag. At least then you could clearly see the chest and know it’s yours to loot.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

I don’t really find them hard to see, but i dont really see the point either as you’ll just run around the corpses spamming f anyway.

I’ve never had the chests drop anything better than a masterwork item, once a blue and once a white iirc, which has been amusing given most of the time ive had them drop off normal mobs I’ve pulled while fighting veterans. the veterans then drop nothing, just for fun i started chain killing veterans only to see how often id get drops, so far it seems to be 1/5 chance for loot which is then a blue item (will build a decent sample size if i have time).
champions are also dropping blues if they drop anything, it really makes the extra effort of killing them worth it when you receive superior quality loot including rares from normal mobs.

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

Posted by: Tintaglia.4762

Tintaglia.4762

Would someone please link to a screenshot or video of the chest? I have not seen one and I may have overlooked it.

Posted by: Ruin.3461

Ruin.3461

I’ve had these drop empty before

Tier 1 Casual

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Would someone please link to a screenshot or video of the chest? I have not seen one and I may have overlooked it.

I haven’t got a screenshot for you, but these chests do not appear immediately after the kill, they take a few seconds to “shimmy” into existence and because of this are easy to miss if you are moving fast through an area.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’ve had 2 chests the entire time. and I’ve killed a large number of veterans and champions since this began.

It only drops off regular mobs, and it usually only has masterwork items in it for me. I’ve yet to get a rare off anything anymore in Orr. FG, or in level 55+ zones.

I do like how they made the animation alot more noticeable tho that was nice of them. However they take a while to load and they are still tiny, so we still have the motley crew standing around in the desert looking like someone lost a contact lense.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Tintaglia.4762

Tintaglia.4762

Thanks, I’ll watch for the shimmy.

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

I remember the day of the patch, my first 2 chests had nothing in them, nothing.

Navi.7142

Have you been able to loot them?

I see a lot of chest sometimes, but they are not meant for me…

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I wonder if the devs added chests to help them debug the loot issues people are having. If the chests are supposed to only drop green and above but aren’t, then it’s a pretty clear indicator the loot code is bugged in live even if their simulations look fine. I think what we’re seeing here is just the confirmation that GW2 loot code is problematic.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I think it’s bugged. I have gotten everything in that chest, from whites to junk items and..actually no rares lol. I think when you see a chest, there should 100% be a rare – and that’s how it should work imo. Even tho it’s a pointless addition.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I wonder if the devs added chests to help them debug the loot issues people are having. If the chests are supposed to only drop green and above but aren’t, then it’s a pretty clear indicator the loot code is bugged in live even if their simulations look fine. I think what we’re seeing here is just the confirmation that GW2 loot code is problematic.

That would be a stupid move. Changing code you are trying to debug means you’ve just moved the target. Any bug you find can be from the old code or new code, now you have twice as much code to check.

These have mostly worked for me, Masterworks and Rare. Today I just got one that gave a Bit of Metal Scrap in Diessa Plateau from a Dredge during the “Defend Rimtooth, the pack marmox, from dredge” event.

Posted by: Helenorz.2547

Helenorz.2547

so tonight, I decided I should pay attention and perhaps take screenshots of this…weird wooden chest thing.

So i had 2 that I noticed tonight. Both times gave me things that’s NOT green and above. one of the two I noticed it AFTER all the mobs have despawned since it’s not exactly noticeable.

the screenshot was taken right before I open the chest, and right after…and as you can see…a wonder white item.

Attachments: