would you like PVP in PVE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

No

open world pvp would be great

Yes for people who like bullying and harassing others.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Frost.1503

Frost.1503

YES!!!!!! Would be fantastic!!!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

This again?
Dueling arenas, fine. It might even be fun to have a waiting area where people can watch without being flagged.
Open world PvP, no. Just no. Stop. -_-#

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Baconbit.6970

Baconbit.6970

No thx

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

NO, n o, no
/15charrrrrrr

Attachments:

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

Think there should be an option where people can toggle PvP mode in PvE. This must be done BEFORE entering a map. Once one has entered the map, the toggle option will disappear. So, this option is only availabl when leaving FROM the main cities/coming from PvP (obviously).

Those not interested in getting harassed can just turn it off and won’t be affected by PvP bullies.

Everyone’s happy.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

No… just no. PvP belongs in its arena. PvE belongs to the open world.
I play both, I suck at PvP but have improved over time. I am not relaxed playing PvP.
I don’t need/want it in the open world.
With PvE, I can relax and just enjoy the game play.
Besides…. isn’t what the OP is suggesting already seen in WvW to a certain extent?

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Think there should be an option where people can toggle PvP mode in PvE. This must be done BEFORE entering a map. Once one has entered the map, the toggle option will disappear. So, this option is only availabl when leaving FROM the main cities/coming from PvP (obviously).

Those not interested in getting harassed can just turn it off and won’t be affected by PvP bullies.

Everyone’s happy.

Except, as has been stated before, you will have dueling players getting in the way of people doing events, jumping puzzles and other activities. It needs to be in a restricted area, so it does not interfere with PvE content in any way, otherwise you will just frustrate people. Open world PvP will not work in a game like GW2, but a designated arena, in guild halls, the pavilion or in small set aside areas in some zones, would be fine.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Well here is my response from a post over a year ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-not-add-Duel/first#post3504862
After re-reading my previous comments I believe still feel the same way.

Maybe as a counter proposal:
How about if we add PvE to PvP?

With this alternative option a person can go to PvP maps but with an Opt Out of PvP option. This allows you to run around the map exploring but can not be attacked or attack others.

Now I know what some of you witty folks are thinking, that makes no bloody sense. Why would you allow PvE in the PvP game type… EXACTLY

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Nope. Dead. Horse. Seriously, please stop.

If you want to suggest much large PvP maps for that actual game mode, then have at. If you want to just have an open world feel to get into some fights with random people, play WvW on your server’s off times and go looking for fights.

Leave PvE as is.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Nope, custom arenas are 3 clicks away. I’d rather not have duel invites, it’s bad enough with gold spamming whispers and random party invites.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Also, lets be clear here: if there was one thing that annoyed me more than anything else when running around in other MMOs that allowed dueling was the constant harrassment by people that literally followed me on maps spamming me with dueling requests. And no, blocking every single user that did it was not an option as that didn’t slow the annoying requests. All it did was interfere with my game play.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Yes! Sylvari mordrems unite!

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Yes

I trust anet to know who their customers are.
A race war map would be great (but that might count as a Pvp map not sure)

Pvp in existing PvE maps.. Hell no.

What I really want is strong PvE in a Pvp map. (Good chest rewards in Obsidian Sanctum, or add a World boss to Edge of the Mists would be fantastic).

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Reading the responses in this thread honestly got me really angry. All the people who are complaining how open world pvp doesn’t fit into this game and we have WvW didn’t read the OP’s proposal AT ALL. Most likely just read the title and had a gut reaction.

He’s proposing a small zone in a pve map where players can dual/FFA/etc. but is completely separate from the rest of the map.

And i am saying that there’s no reason to put such a zone in PvE, when it would fit the Mists better. In fact, you can say that Mists are such a place already (even if they may need a little touchup for some specific vs modes).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: ErickDntn.1847

ErickDntn.1847

no

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

while i personally think there should be ffa pvp everywhere accept major cities, the majority (pve sallys) will hate this with a passion.

would be cool if they mad a map in the pve world where this was activated.

And i am saying that there’s no reason to put such a zone in PvE, when it would fit the Mists better. In fact, you can say that Mists are such a place already (even if they may need a little touchup for some specific vs modes).

no the mists aren’t. there is no megaserver in the mists where pvp is possible without being in some type of objective based game mode.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

(edited by oneply.9586)

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

This won’t work. As someone else said:

“The skill floor of most gw2 PvE players is so low I would find open world pvp would be meaningless.”

It’d be a massacre lol

Opt-In Dueling? Yes.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

No.

There is a reason that a big portion of the population of GW2 doesn’t do PvP. They just don’t like it.

Posted by: NewSentiment.1645

NewSentiment.1645

No. However I’m not completely against this idea as it would be cool as hell to PvP in they big as hell PvE map (would make for some interesting fight) however it would kill it for the casual PvE goers. So I would suggest making a separate server for PvP in PvE.

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Well here is my response from a post over a year ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-not-add-Duel/first#post3504862
After re-reading my previous comments I believe still feel the same way.

Maybe as a counter proposal:
How about if we add PvE to PvP?

With this alternative option a person can go to PvP maps but with an Opt Out of PvP option. This allows you to run around the map exploring but can not be attacked or attack others.

Now I know what some of you witty folks are thinking, that makes no bloody sense. Why would you allow PvE in the PvP game type… EXACTLY

There is PvE in PvP currently. Rank farming servers. They are a plague, and have encouraged a lazy grindfest pve mentality among players which has trivialized rank.

Don’t get me wrong, ranks lost prestige in the update which pushed them up by lessening the requirements at higher levels. This behaviour however is salt in the wound.

But you ask, why does a PvE custom arena which is for mindless rank farming and mid capping of any concern to me? As I am not required to participate.

I would say it effects me in the same way it seems to sting so many pvers to have a location ASIDE from the pve content in an atmospheric pve map which allows for pvp. PvE mentality, the cuddly hand-holding blind eye to competitive play. (Just like how PvPers are all stereotyped as rude and toxic individuals.)

As OP’s proposal has emphasized, there would be no effect on pve content, and it would merely be a fun activity for friends and randomers looking for actual competition past brain-dead mobs.

I say Yes to this proposal, and I feel like a lot of the ‘No’ camp is purely worried about their experience in PvE being effected, which if implemented properly, should not be effected by pvp elements at all. No one should be forced to play anything they don’t like.

Reasons aside from personal taste?:
* SPvP has set stats, no food, and certain stat combo’s not present. This may impact certain builds and play styles more than others.

• WvW is a nice alternative, until you want to duel someone who is on your server with full stats and food buffs, or someone from another server outside your wvw tier completely.

I think those might be reasons for people, however, as pointed out in this thread above, guild halls might fix both of the issues above.

• Scenic locations to pvp in and enjoy the immersion of the map more? I don’t know but some players probably feel this way.
MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

(edited by PistolWhip.2697)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

yes, of course, but it would have to be an option, like in ESO.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Nope – one of the reasons GW2 is great – no open world PvP except special maps (WvW.) Now, if “enough people” want it – go ahead and make Blackgate the sole PvP server – I would like to see what would happen to the population. I’m sure all those hard core WvW players would love it…or would they?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

yes, of course, but it would have to be an option, like in ESO.

So another case of “I like this game but I wish it was more like this other one”?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

PistolWhip.2697

Nope – one of the reasons GW2 is great – no open world PvP except special maps (WvW.) Now, if “enough people” want it – go ahead and make Blackgate the sole PvP server – I would like to see what would happen to the population. I’m sure all those hard core WvW players would love it…or would they?

+10 for lolz.

+20 for truth.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: bluberblasen.9684

bluberblasen.9684

i like 1 on 1 with pve gear
the one and only reason to play WvW …

… /duel [player name]
i want duel my guildies, i want duel other ele to become better

but..i want a duel " yes/no/later/never" option, for ppl which dont like duels.

ah.. and Zorry for my english

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

There is PvE in PvP currently. Rank farming servers. They are a plague, and have encouraged a lazy grindfest pve mentality among players which has trivialized rank.

Yes, thank you. Case in point, you affirm that there IS PvE in PvP and it doesn’t belong there. Therefore I maintain PvP dueling does not belong in PvE either.

PistolWhip.2697

Yes, thank you. Case in point, you affirm that there IS PvE in PvP and it doesn’t belong there. Therefore I maintain PvP dueling does not belong in PvE either.

Its not about belonging. The whole point is, if PvE is allowed to exist in PvP servers, so should PvP in PvE maps.

Plus, a small section dedicated to this sorta stuff is getting in no ones way. A lot of PvErs who are too scared (which I have found to be the primary reason for them not wanting to give it a shot) might find it easier to try the game mode, and decide if they enjoy it or not. It could also be a nice spectator sport.

No one in their right mind is asking for PvE to take a second seat to PvP where everyone is game, and you can get ganked by roaming parties over and over, they are merely asking for a small section to PvP freely in a PvE setting which allows food buffs, same server duels, and a scenic location. How is that harmful in any way?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

can i ask why you are against dueling? you would have to agree to it, so if you dont want to then you dont have to.

a more appropriate argument would be:
“Yes, thank you. Case in point, you affirm that there IS PvE in PvP and it doesn’t belong there. Therefore I maintain open world PvP does not belong in PvE either.”

which is a completely understandable position.

but also why there should be in EVERY mmorpg a choice of servers with open world pvp and ones without.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

- snip -

To be fair, the OP’s suggestion is for a dueling arena, perhaps with the possibility of FFA, 2v2, 3v3, etc., but the thread title reads “…PvP in PvE.” While technically correct, the title is misleading. Also, other posters have posted in favor of wider-ranging PvP in the PvE maps. If one side is unclear and can’t stick to the original idea, why should the other side?

PistolWhip.2697

- snip -

To be fair, the OP’s suggestion is for a dueling arena, perhaps with the possibility of FFA, 2v2, 3v3, etc., but the thread title reads “…PvP in PvE.” While technically correct, the title is misleading. Also, other posters have posted in favor of wider-ranging PvP in the PvE maps. If one side is unclear and can’t stick to the original idea, why should the other side?

There isn’t just 2 sides here. By your count it seems those in favour of a FFA whole PvE map which goes against many of the PvE communities taste is a camp all on it’s own.

Plus, it should be the desire of each side to want to rise above and stick to the original idea despite what the other side is doing. From my interactions with others, to me it seems like there are many who would like to see something like this implemented but in a sensible fashion as OP has suggested.

No, I don’t think many would subscribe to the idea of allowing a guild to gank your group while doing Tequatl, to be frank, that suggestion seems silly.

However, a private section of a new or existing PvE map, with a cool atmosphere to FFA or duel or what have you? Sounds like it has a lot of potential to be an enjoyable hotspot. If not for the fighting itself, for the spectating I am sure.

Edit: Side suggestion. Seeing as many of you are afraid of the toxic atmosphere this might promote, why not give it the air of sparring? It certainly fits in with lore, and there have been many NPCs sparring for skill points throughout the world. The pact could use a section of the map for ‘training’.

There would be no stomping. When you take away the mechanic of actually killing another player by just making it till downed state, it doesn’t seem as out of place for people I hope?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

In a nutshell:

Attachments:

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Did I come to GW2 for its promising, amazeballs open world PVP? Nope.

Did I…come to GW2 because I wanted dueling and FFA pvp zones in my PVE maps? Nope.

Did IIIIIIII…come to GW2 for the pvp at all? Nope!

I continue to be amused, bemused and occasionally confused by those that keep trying to turn GW2 into their personal PVP mecca of dueling and FFA and everything else that’s never been in the game at all, was never promised and cut and has never been a topic of serious developer-community engagement.

We don’t have Formula 1 racing either. No FPS shooting. Tragically, no RTSing either.

I know its crazy, but one might…have to play a different game to get certain experiences. Open world pvp, even in what anyone thinks would be ‘reasonable zones’, is probably going to remain one of those. Just my personal hunch.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

We don’t have Formula 1 racing either. No FPS shooting. Tragically, no RTSing either.

And, despite this being an MMO ‘RPG’, no RPG elements either!

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

First of all: I doubt this will happen so I’m not going to talk about if it SHOULD be a part of the game. That aside:

I’ve always thought that slight pvp in the open world would be entertaining: however there are a number of barriers to this, the largest of which being the level difference in starting areas- lvl 80s could just camp and make players lives horrible. So the only way that this would really work is if everyone way on even footing, which you then get on the subject of “how is this different from wvw or pvp”. I think the real problem here is how current wvw is set up (rolling zero blobs with unchallenging bosses) And the lack if easily accessible dueling.

I have always personally thought that a faction based kind of pve would be entertaining (the final charr conquest of the humans!) But without fundementally changing the way that gw2 works I don’t see it being possible. Especially as upon account creation the only binding “side” you choose is your server, which pretty much limits faction based pvp to wvw.

Even as I’m writing this I keep trying to brainstorm ways that we could impliment it, because there’s a certain amount of thrill associated with the potential of being attacked at any time and having to be on your guard (I’m a fan of demon/dark souls and the mix of challenging content and a blending of pve and pvp). But without a map decending into a giant bloodsoaked pit of free-for-all chaos I don’t see this happening :/

tboneking.2531

Although I have now rethought the idea of a designated dueling area in the pve map, that COULD be kind of cool, especially with the potential for spectating (can you say guild fight night, anyone?)

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

No, just go to PvP if you want to fight 1 vs1… That’s why it exists.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

OP your title made me think no, but after reading your post, I think that’s a good idea. >.>

Also hostile devs sound hilarious. Totally for it.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Even as I’m writing this I keep trying to brainstorm ways that we could impliment it, because there’s a certain amount of thrill associated with the potential of being attacked at any time and having to be on your guard

You say thrill, i say dread. There’s nothing fun about always being on your guard in case some ganker decides to make your life miserable. I doubt there’s a stronger argument against PvP in PvE than this one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

No thanks, it is bad enough this festival offers nothing of value to those that don’t want to beat on their fellow man.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Even as I’m writing this I keep trying to brainstorm ways that we could impliment it, because there’s a certain amount of thrill associated with the potential of being attacked at any time and having to be on your guard

WvW says hello.

The Burninator

PistolWhip.2697

No, just go to PvP if you want to fight 1 vs1… That’s why it exists.

Why does this point keep getting repeated when evidently the reason this doesn’t happen is:

1. Gear and stats are scaled differently from one’s main setup for WvW and PvE in Spvp, with a stat cap on certain builds.

2. WvW makes it impossible to duel friends from your own server, or other servers outside of your tier.

3. The duel arena’s in particularly EU are lackluster due to it being a King of the Hill setup in the most frequented ones. This means those who click fastest get to fight and the rest of us have to observe or leave. In NA this issue isn’t apparent due to its many custom arena’s catered to as many people joining as possible and dueling in different parts of the map. Sadly, this doesn’t address 1 or 2.

Did I come to GW2 for its promising, amazeballs open world PVP? Nope.

It’s great that you have your own reasons for why you started playing GW2. Unfortunately, the game’s direction isn’t based on why ‘naiasonod’ began playing, but on what is the most positive path to take for it’s future growth as a whole.

Did IIIIIIII…come to GW2 for the pvp at all? Nope!

And some people came for it’s pvp. ArenaNet was very vocal about how much they want this to be a competitive game, and an ‘Esport’. I would hope this means they don’t disregard any PvP oriented proposal without review just because a camp of users are getting cold feet. Essentially, my point is, Ncsoft =/= naiasonodSoft

You say thrill, i say dread. There’s nothing fun about always being on your guard in case some ganker decides to make your life miserable. I doubt there’s a stronger argument against PvP in PvE than this one.

That isn’t what the OP is asking for. No one wants to be ganked while minding their own business in pve. He (and others) are asking for a zone in a scenic location in PvE where they can enact duels they cant due to the reasons above with friends without interfering with PvErs. Why does everyone refuse to read that VERY important part?

I would once again like to pose the question of:

Why would a private section within a PvE map (That’s right, ‘A’ map), as per OP’s request, where FFA and PvP gameplay is allowed, with spectators to enjoy and bet on players (maybe?), where one can duel any friends of any server with food and full gear buffs be harmful to the PvE community?

At this point^ Unless a PvEr wanders into the arena and accepts to participate in said PvP combat, it wont effect their game play in any way.

“But Ps Whippz, wut about development time and resource?”

Fair. It would require both, but I don’t believe they should stop adding dungeon paths (Like Aether), PvE only mechanics or Gemstore plushies+minipets just because I think they are a complete waste of time and resource. Fair’s fair.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Forgot what topic i was viewing.. lol, please ignore.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

I wouldn’t be opposed, necessarily, if say Lion’s Arch (or any of the cities) had a clearly defined arena marked out for this purpose and it was completely voluntary and not linked with any PvE progression requirements/achievements. If I don’t HAVE to participate in it, but can if I WANT to, then that’s fine.

Same for dueling. Personally, I don’t want open dueling because it would break my immersion to be wandering around seeing duels everywhere, but if it was limited to a specific marked arena in certain locations (that I could avoid if I wanted to) then that would be fine.

Having said that, I’m not really sure about the reason for it when we have the existing PvP modes we have and those could just be tweaked, expanded, and improved upon.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Didn’t read through the thread, but I thought about this the other day. There was an event in beta or something, where the Shatterer swooped overhead and turned players into branded which gave them skills and changed their appearance.

Thought it would a cool idea on a failed event towards the end of the expansion’s content, but with Sylvari PC’s/NPC’s going red, and random players turning into Mordrem.

Past that, no thanks. Open-world PvP has sucked in just about every game I’ve played, and is killed by instanced arenas/battlegrounds.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

I thought ‘no’ yesterday to this question… after this kitten event that caters specifically to PvPers (can’t even get the laurel unless you suffer at least 2 bouts of PvP, can’t even get the Ram unless the RNG gods are being extremely merciful unless you win 10 bouts of PvP)…

HELL NO!

I hated PvP in every game I played before this, and after getting out of my comfort zone since the new dailies I can safely say I still hate PvP. All PvP in the PvE zones would do is take away the best part about this game and I’d probably quit and never look back like I did with WoW and SWtOR. Bluntly, if I wanted to PvP I would have stuck with any number of MMOs I tried but GW2 offered a game that was focused on the community helping each other.

Unfortunately that community has been thrust into their e-sport designs and I fear there might actually be an open world PvP zone in HoT. If they continue to use PvP oriented events as ‘filler’ between now and the release I’ll probably not even bother with HoT. PvP is what brings out the worst players to a game because it designed to create conflict between players as is evident by any number of posts in this thread in support who want to ‘gank people running teq’ or ‘camp those who are against it’.

Just ask for a duel arena- one that doesn’t require your guild to have some special token to create- into the already structured PvP and you’ll have absolutely no reason to even bother asking for this other than to be trolls who enjoy griefing PvEers. I would support that right now, I would never support it interfering with anything in PvE in any way because even if you didn’t put WP or PoI inside the arenas I know I’d still be harassed to duel every time I passed one.

Posted by: Shroedingers Chupacabra.2978

Shroedingers Chupacabra.2978

No. I already try to leave the PvP lobby as quickly as possible due to the excessive rudeness in map chat.

tboneking.2531

I’m sorry I’m just fantasizing now about some arena in the shiverpeaks where 2+ people from a guild duke it out and the rest watches from stands wiht bets being placed and guild banquet tables and fireworks going off.

Wait can we just have this in guild halls please???

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Honestly, even a dueling system can cause problems. Wildstar had it, and when I even played on a PvE server I kept being spammed with duel challenges, and then harassed in whisper if I declined.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Not in the open world, but I would like to see the Bane in the Black Citadel open to 1v1, 2v2, 5v5, 10v10, 15v15 and 20v20 so that there is a spectator arena for free-form deathmatch.

It’d be a reasonable addition to the Adventure category in the expansion.