in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

No. Dragon ball is already too much.

would you like PVP in PVE

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Nope; go in WvW if you want to gank 5v1.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Why would a private section within a PvE map (That’s right, ‘A’ map), as per OP’s request, where FFA and PvP gameplay is allowed, with spectators to enjoy and bet on players (maybe?), where one can duel any friends of any server with food and full gear buffs be harmful to the PvE community?

Here is your answer:

A minority of PvPers have harassed me in every single MMO I’ve played with PvP in PvE, perhaps I’m an outlier who got singled out out of bad luck, but I would suspect a lot of PvEers have had similar situations in other games and is why they’re so quick to shoot down this suggestion.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

You could just go a Warhammer age or Reckoning approach to this and just make it so sections of the map are pve and sections of the map are pvp. Add in an infamy or a alliance bolster type title track with rewards in it for the civil war with the slyvari ; Since they are now being persecuted for being dragon minions . I could see charr and asuran being on a side , Norn and Sylvari (( norn hold all that is nature sacred )) together on a team . And humans are in the middle ; Choosing which alliance they would be apart of ? This would make it so that those sections of the map have a pvp set of content that fits in with the expansion ? This would allow you to walk in and out of the pvp , much like the RvR of Warhammer .

Attachments:

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

Why would a private section within a PvE map (That’s right, ‘A’ map), as per OP’s request, where FFA and PvP gameplay is allowed, with spectators to enjoy and bet on players (maybe?), where one can duel any friends of any server with food and full gear buffs be harmful to the PvE community?

Here is your answer:

The minority of PvPers are jerks who harass, at one point or another, every single PvEer who might be in the area of the arena with duel requests (through whispers if we auto decline) and subsequent name calling and demeaning comments when we refuse.

Simple Disable your whispers if it bothers you that much ; Or ignore it ? That is such a silly reason to not want a story based pvp setting . Considering the content of the expansion , im inclined to think they would do this or something similar to it . Nothing wrong with it ; Especially if you make alliances as i stated .

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Here is your answer:

The minority of PvPers are jerks who harass, at one point or another, every single PvEer who might be in the area of the arena with duel requests (through whispers if we auto decline) and subsequent name calling and demeaning comments when we refuse.

Nope.

Kentaine.4692

Here is your answer:

Simple Disable your whispers if it bothers you that much ; Or ignore it ? That is such a silly reason to not want a story based pvp setting . Considering the content of the expansion , im inclined to think they would do this or something similar to it . Nothing wrong with it ; Especially if you make alliances as i stated .

Wow… you don’t get it at all.

Why should I disable my whispers (including from my friends) just to avoid kittens?

Kentaine.4692

Here is your answer:

Nope.

I’m starting to think this thread was made by that already mentioned minority of jerks.

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

my “poll” here was deleted i guess Anet is keeping an eye on this post cuz you guyz give valuble inforation and they prefer info then yes/no. keep up with the opinions guyz ^^

Ashen.2907

Here is your answer:

Nope.

I’m starting to think this thread was made by that already mentioned minority of jerks.

1) I am a PvEer.
2) You are the one calling other people names.
3) You claimed that 100% of all PvEers (every single one) who might be in the vicinity of a duel arena would be harassed. I have been in the vicinity of duel arenas without being challenged or harassed. I have also not been called names/etc for refusing on those occasions when I was challenged.

Maybe, just maybe, you should speak for yourself rather than trying to speak for every single PvE player in an MMO. You might come across as less like what you claim of others that way.

Kentaine.4692

Here is your answer:

Nope.

1) I am a PvEer.
2) You are the one calling other people names.
3) You claimed that 100% of all PvEers (every single one) who might be in the vicinity of a duel arena would be harassed. I have been in the vicinity of duel arenas without being challenged or harassed. I have also not been called names/etc for refusing on those occasions when I was challenged.

Maybe, just maybe, you should speak for yourself rather than trying to speak for every single PvE player in an MMO. You might come across as less like what you claim of others that way.

Alright, it is my opinion based on my personal experience in every single MMO I’ve played with PvP in PvE zones. I’d rather not have that experience happen here which is why I’m going to go back on topic and say ‘No’ to the OPs question and alter my statement to better reflect my opinions in a more neutral tone.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I would like PvE in WvW honestly. Better PvPvE elements…

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Here is your answer:

A minority of PvPers have harassed me in every single MMO I’ve played with PvP in PvE, perhaps I’m an outlier who got singled out out of bad luck, but I would suspect a lot of PvEers have had similar situations in other games and is why they’re so quick to shoot down this suggestion.

I hope you know, people can still harass you and will in the same way regardless of a feature. Right now you’re letting those people who enjoy ruining the fun for others win by being the sole reason for you and others declining a suggestion without discussing it. (As you state, beng quick to shoot it down.)

To all you who say it would encourage duel spamming regardless of it being toggled off by default to receive such challenges, whats to stop people now?

Oh wait it doesn’t. Has anyone here not had a challenge from someone whether warranted or not along the lines of?:

“Come to spvp I will show you I can reck ur build.”

“Lets go pvp, you noob. Scared?” Etc. They can do this anyway, and this isn’t just pvpers.

“Lol links all legendaries such poor. " <—Right after someone makes their legendary, evidently trying to diminish their achievement.

Seems like every community has their bad apples, should we cease Achievement points and meta rewards because certain bads use them as indicators for dungeon prowess?

So here we are again without a concrete reason. All the reasons given are anecdotal, can be mimicked by any community and are very self-centered. Is there an actual mechanical reason a PRIVATE section of a pve map shouldnt include pvp to allow those who can’t duel or FFA with friends in that specific way?

Anyone?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

(edited by PistolWhip.2697)

Ashen.2907

Here is your answer:

This is a very good reason be opposed to the suggested addition.

My own experience differs a bit. I have had seen more negativity in PvE content from fellow PvEers and so tend to not oppose a game element because a minority of those who would use it might be obnoxious. If I did apply that logic I would feel compelled to oppose dungeons, raids, instanced story content, and open world content for the same reason. It wouldnt leave me with much to play.

I would like PvE in WvW honestly. Better PvPvE elements…

And this sounds cool to me.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I would once again like to pose the question of:

Hadn’t thought of betting. That’d be a great addition, provided ANet is ethically allowed to do it.

And the ability to hold matches with any server is an obvious advantage over Obsidian Sanctum. That’s the thing – forget open-world PvP, it’s just not going to work – but providing arenas that can structure PvP modes already being done in the Mists, in places in Tyria that lore-wise make sense (such as arenas in Hoelbrak, Lion’s Arch and the Black Citadel) would actually be really popular, even giving people with no intention of actually participating an interesting spectacle and perhaps a bit of gold when they know who to back.

It actually happened in Edge of Destiny, after all.

The important thing would be to integrate these properly into Heart of the Mists so that people involved in PvP can easily go between them.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You say thrill, i say dread. There’s nothing fun about always being on your guard in case some ganker decides to make your life miserable. I doubt there’s a stronger argument against PvP in PvE than this one.

That isn’t what the OP is asking for. No one wants to be ganked while minding their own business in pve.

You really should have read the post i was responding to, because that was exactly what the poster asked for.

Why does everyone refuse to read that VERY important part?

Quite ironic, considering the above.

Why does that need to be placed in PvE environment, considering that at this point you are actually asking for something that is separate to normal PvE areas?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

To be honest, every time I’ve seen something like this added to an MMO, it burns hot for about a month. And then, it turns into a wasteland of emptiness after. Once the PvPers get their griefing on against PvEers, the PvEers move elsewhere quick.

Then the PvPers turn their attention on each other. And then even they get bored and return to their usual hunting grounds . . . if any population is left.

Rifts, Aion, DAoC with certain servers, etc.

At least, that’s always been my experience when a free-for-all happens in an open world.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

To be honest, every time I’ve seen something like this added to an MMO, it burns hot for about a month. And then, it turns into a wasteland of emptiness after. Once the PvPers get their griefing on against PvEers, the PvEers move elsewhere quick.

Then the PvPers turn their attention on each other. And then even they get bored and return to their usual hunting grounds . . . if any population is left.

Rifts, Aion, DAoC with certain servers, etc.

At least, that’s always been my experience when a free-for-all happens in an open world.

I can say similar things would happen cyclically in UO when I played.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

But the first rule of fight club !!

I’m all for fight clubs in the capital cities, like how The Secret World does it. It does add some character to the cities, unlike going to an instanced PVP area. I think PVPVE would be better served by WvW improvements.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

Arena Fights are possible in self-created arenas.

Large scale PvP is possible in WvW.

I think to this day it is one of the best design decisions of the ANet team ever to separate the play grounds for the PvE and the PvP crowd. Why change this?

I cannot see a single benefit of PvP in the PvE environment. I caan however easily see the drawbacks: spreading toxicity, mistrust amongst players, griefing by ruining each others events etc.

So my personal opinion stays at it is: no to open world pvp.

PS: I do play and enjoy all modes this game has to offer. I soemwhat suck at PvP, at least in my own opinion , but I don’t mind, I always try to improve and the way PvP and WvW are set up here means that the mood overall remains more friendly than in every other game I have played to date. I don’t want to lose that.

PistolWhip.2697

I cannot see a single benefit of PvP in the PvE environment. I caan however easily see the drawbacks: spreading toxicity, mistrust amongst players, griefing by ruining each others events etc.

The Arenas and WvW game modes don’t address the issues I have repeatedly cited earlier in this thread.

Toxicity within the PvE community is already there. Refer you to the high number of “This elitist” “That elitist” posts which complain about dungeon requirements and LFG. Mistrust is already there, with the most recent GW2 posts on here and other websites asking for a change to the kicking system as they are afraid to get kicked by guild groups who use the player to get to the end of the Dungeon/fractal then kick them to invite a friend. Griefing is already present (joining your group in LFG then leaving repeatedly so your party is locked for sometime.) and has been for a while (dying constantly near Rox when Tequatl was first introduced so she would keep being occupied by rezzing players and no one would be able to chat to her for their meta), because humans will be humans.

Not only is this already an issue, and wont change for better or worse with the addition of this feature, but by letting those griefers, trolls and hatemongerers tarnish your views of a whole playerbase (The pvp community) you’ve allowed them to succeed and now they have what they want. Because they are now the sole reason a lot of you are too afraid to give this a chance.

You really should have read the post i was responding to, because that was exactly what the poster asked for.

The OP’s post should take precedent. Suggestions that are evidently going to impact the PvE playerbase in a largely negative way such as forced participation in PvP are paid far too much credence in this thread over the actual reasonable suggestions. Such as a small private area.

Quite ironic, considering the above.

No. Not really, considering the above.

Why does that need to be placed in PvE environment, considering that at this point you are actually asking for something that is separate to normal PvE areas?

To be frank, you’re right, it doesn’t. It could be its own area, and mechanically it would all be the same.

However, this would also make it far less accessible (if only due to convenience) as it just being present in a budding new pve map. This would mean aside from those who are already in favour of such things (who would no doubt travel to whatever isolated map if it wasn’t placed in a PvE zone per say), far less people try PvP. This isn’t just about meeting the demands of a certain group, it’s about introducing an non intrusive system which can help promote PvP and ‘break-in’ those who have never gotround to trying it, so to speak.

Allowing Anet to promote the PvP game mode they have been so desperately trying to do since launch, evidently still an agenda as can be seen by the most recent interview with the PvP Designers, who mention the new Stronghold mode will be even more “accessible” and new player friendly.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Personally, I do not think these open world arenas should be purely PvP. As others have said, we have plenty of options for that already. I want something that is more than just a duel or more than just a PvP match in a PvE zone. At the end of the day a PvP arena in a PvE zone will not be part of any kind of esports tournament. It is purely for fun, so why not make it more interesting?

If you want a straight up duel, with nothing but the skill between two players to decide the outcome, go to sPvP and create a custom arena (though I do think a dueling area should be added to the mists lobby or guild hall for this activity, to keep it separate from the conquest and upcoming stronghold game modes). But if, like me, you want a duel with obstacles and other PvE hazards, then I think a small arena with mobs, traps and other dangers would be a great addition to the game.

This is of course providing the arenas are completely optional, can be easily avoided and have no achievement, mastery or loot reward that cannot be acquired via normal PvE content.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Amalia.2879

Amalia.2879

SWG had open world PvP. It was pretty nice, but the best part was you had to ‘declare’ yourself for PvP, so if you just wanted the PvE aspect, you were not effected. But watching some decent size melees in towns was kinda fun.

Shenku Clan – Arcanum, Brenin, & Pogue

Posted by: Costeleta.7236

Costeleta.7236

Im not sure if someone already mentioned this but how about they made the arena inside the heart of the mists pvp lobby? Since the whole pvp community is gathered there it would make most sense to be placed there for free for all deathmatches. This way it wouldnt get in the way of the pve maps.

Just a nobody

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

No, unequivocally no!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Esacke.5216

Esacke.5216

I’m conflicted. I liked in WoW that you could kill the other faction in PvE but this game’s story doesn’t fit with that and if you just allowed it for anyone, there would be a lot of kittens. Large battles would also get very dangerous.

Esacke/Brassin – Charr Thief/Guradian
The Disco Boys [DSCO]
Borlis Pass

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Okay so, I think we have made it clear that nobody here is seriously asking for open-world, free for all PvP. (And if you are, then you aren’t really contributing to the thread much.)

What is getting asked for is a PvP arena type area.
Okay… I get that.
What I don’t get is why the Heart of the Mists… a part of the game that has been set up /specifically/ just for this… is being ignored and dismissed out of hand.

Convenience?
HotM is one click away from anywhere in the game world. At worst, a newly minted character might have to run to Lion’s Arch and use the portal there. Easy, since every racial city that you start right outside of has a way to get to Lion’s Arch.

Lack of PvP modes?
If you have your own sPvP arena, who is forcing you to capture the control points rather then duel to your hearts content? Hell, the Courtyard doesn’t even have control points to bother with.

The only argument I am seeing that holds any real weight is the inability in sPvP to keep your Gear Stats/Runes/Sigils/Food Buffs/etc.
sPvP is designed to even the playing field for everyone, regardless of all that. And while I personally think that’s a good thing… if people really want a ‘Fight Club’ mode where you keep your Gear/Runes/Sigils/Food Buffs/etc, then why not propose such an option to be added in the Mists?

Why /must/ this sort of thing be implemented in a PvE zone?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

So when there are Custom Arena’s in sPvP for dueling, why aren’t they packed with all these players who want dueling? The answer is that the few whom want open world dueling appear to be extremely outweighed by those whom do not want it. These threads should finally be put to rest.

Or, should I start another thread on mounts too????

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So when there are Custom Arena’s in sPvP for dueling, why aren’t they packed with all these players who want dueling? The answer is that the few whom want open world dueling appear to be extremely outweighed by those whom do not want it. These threads should finally be put to rest.

Because they want to use teh lejenderiez and not be balanced at all. sPvP is apparently too rigid and skill-based.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Don’t forget capes !!

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

No thanks, to PvP in PvE.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Because they want to use teh lejenderiez and not be balanced at all. sPvP is apparently too rigid and skill-based.

More likely that they want a captive audience to show off their manliness in front of.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Okay so, I think we have made it clear that nobody here is seriously asking for open-world, free for all PvP. (And if you are, then you aren’t really contributing to the thread much.)

Okay… I get that.
What I don’t get is why the Heart of the Mists… a part of the game that has been set up /specifically/ just for this… is being ignored and dismissed out of hand.

Convenience?
HotM is one click away from anywhere in the game world. At worst, a newly minted character might have to run to Lion’s Arch and use the portal there. Easy, since every racial city that you start right outside of has a way to get to Lion’s Arch.

Lack of PvP modes?
If you have your own sPvP arena, who is forcing you to capture the control points rather then duel to your hearts content? Hell, the Courtyard doesn’t even have control points to bother with.

The only argument I am seeing that holds any real weight is the inability in sPvP to keep your Gear Stats/Runes/Sigils/Food Buffs/etc.
sPvP is designed to even the playing field for everyone, regardless of all that. And while I personally think that’s a good thing… if people really want a ‘Fight Club’ mode where you keep your Gear/Runes/Sigils/Food Buffs/etc, then why not propose such an option to be added in the Mists?

i have asked this very question in every single thread about PvP in PvE but ppl just like to force crap on PvE players.

i never ever force PvE on players who simply don’t like PvE, i have no right to just say “play PvE for a bit” while they specifically say they don’t like it.
however, the PvP crowd doesn’t get the other way around, why would i ever play PvP if i don’t even want to get near it?
it’s really simple, PvP belongs where PvP is, PvE should NEVER be touched by the PvP-only crown.

saying this in general (so not directly pointed at quoted), if i don’t like PvP of any kind, don’t force it on me.
and i am certainly not the only one, if you like PvP then fine but don’t just say “i want duels in PvE area’s” and expect everyone the agree.
no is no, period.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I´d love a harsh, unforgiving “EVEish” pvp mmorpg, but GW2 is not the place for it and this century is apparently not the time for it – all such games are so niche it is barely worth checking them out (underpopulated and hence underfinanced). This setting simply does not fit todays players´mindset anymore. I mean, even Garriott is going for flowers and bunnies in Shroud of the Avatar apparently – and that dude started out with one of the harshest MMORPG ever back then. There simply is no market anymore, as much as I may bemoan that, today it is all about everybody is special and instant gratification – pieces of art mirror the society they are created in.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Just yesterday I was in PvP to snag my dailies and had some random stealth spam thief get upset that I came back from having been spiked by him and killed him while his stealths were all on cooldown. He was a mite kitten. My point is, I can’t even begin to imagine the level of hate spam that would be generated from open world PvP let alone the harassment. The caliber of map chat on most days is fairly horrendous that i find myself switching to my combat tag just to ignore it. I don’t want to have to also turn whispers off just to avoid idiots that don’t take no for an answer. Sorry, but no, there are just too many other ways to get a pvp fix.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

PistolWhip.2697

Okay… I get that.

Convenience?

Lack of PvP modes?

i have asked this very question in every single thread about PvP in PvE but ppl just like to force crap on PvE players.

i never ever force PvE on players who simply don’t like PvE, i have no right to just say “play PvE for a bit” while they specifically say they don’t like it.
however, the PvP crowd doesn’t get the other way around, why would i ever play PvP if i don’t even want to get near it?
it’s really simple, PvP belongs where PvP is, PvE should NEVER be touched by the PvP-only crown.

saying this in general (so not directly pointed at quoted), if i don’t like PvP of any kind, don’t force it on me.
and i am certainly not the only one, if you like PvP then fine but don’t just say “i want duels in PvE area’s” and expect everyone the agree.
no is no, period.

It can be in the Mists. As I said earlier, it doesn’t matter where it is, but the limits on buffs, food, gear and stats make some builds unviable for dueling or FFA in Spvp, and WvW is a not only a mess but impossible to fight those on the same server.

Reason for why people are asking for it to be on a specific pve map? I’d think it was due to scenery, and atmosphere. I don’t think its mandatory for it to take place in a pve map but it wouldn’t hurt in a small section. (I.e. The bottom left corner of one of the maps has an arena.)

No one is forcing pvp on you. Just because its an option it isn’t forced. How is a small private arena in a corner of one pve map forcing you to pvp anymore than now? I suppose I should complain that reward tracks exist in PvP. Having it be in the peripheral of your play experience isn’t forcing you to do anything.

Its like me saying “the Mystic Forge being only in LA now FORCES me to PvE. I have to go to Lions Arch and be exposed to the toxic environment that is PvE map chats.”

^This is how silly a lot of you sound.

Implying only PvP has elitists, jerks, and general trolls. Its not like PvE could possibly be full of them itself, even though as i pointed out in my last post, it has had its fair history of griefing, elitism, harassment and just general rudeness.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: Oofta.8036

Oofta.8036

I would normally say Yes to this as I think a gladiatorial stadium would be cool. I have been in games where warnings come up when are close to a location like this, letting you know that you are in danger of stepping into an unsafe area.

Let’s face it, the location can be designed so that you actually have to want to be going to that location before anything happens. It can be built so that you can’t see anyone walking nearby or whatever the worry was previously posted. If you are there, you are there to either fight or spectate and if you are there for the latter you risk being a participant.

All of that doesn’t really matter though. There are locations already in place for this kind of thing. Our guild has their own PVP arena where we go to play and practice and duel. If left open to the public, then others can walk in and play as well.

Rin.1046

I think some people, myself included, just miss that freedom to have a quick duel with someone where ever you happen to be. It felt kind of natural, in a friendly contest of skill between heroes kind of way. I understand there are people who want nothing to do with PvP and that PvP should stay in its own area. And to a large degree I agree with you, but I do miss that freedom of concentual dueling in the open world. If was fun to take part in and often fun to watch.

By separating it off into its own dedicated area, you kind of miss those impromptu moments where you chance upon a player you fancy trying your chances with, or when you stumble across a fight going on and want to watch it unfold. They are often little moments of fun that many miss when PvP and PvE are completely separate.

I can understand the reasons for keeping them separate, but I do miss those little moments of fun.

Simplicity is complex.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Actually there is ONE place in Tyria at the moment that I would think open world PvP can be allowed. The Black Citadel has an area for combat. maybe they can flag that area as a place for combat and if you go down in there anything in there is “non-friendly” and you can then arrange your own fights with whomever is down in the arena and anyone above can watch.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

Did I come to GW2 for its promising, amazeballs open world PVP? Nope.

It’s great that you have your own reasons for why you started playing GW2. Unfortunately, the game’s direction isn’t based on why ‘naiasonod’ began playing, but on what is the most positive path to take for it’s future growth as a whole.

Conveniently for me, its direction isn’t based on what ‘PistolWhip’ cares about, thinks or says either. Your point?

Did IIIIIIII…come to GW2 for the pvp at all? Nope!

And some people came for it’s pvp. ArenaNet was very vocal about how much they want this to be a competitive game, and an ‘Esport’. I would hope this means they don’t disregard any PvP oriented proposal without review just because a camp of users are getting cold feet. Essentially, my point is, Ncsoft =/= naiasonodSoft

And yet, it still isn’t PistolWhipSoft either. Irrespective of how vocal they’ve been about wanting this to be a competitive game, they seem to have made it quite cooperative. As much as they’re aspiring to make it an E-sport, that has no real relevance to whether or not naiasonod.9265 thinks open world pvp in any form is a good idea, wants it or has any use for it.

For so long as I am representing the opinion of naiasonod.9265 and not NCSoft (a point upon which nobody except you seems to have any confusion), I’ll just go on stating my preferences toward and against various things in accordance with how I feel about those things.

I hope this clarifies the inexplicable confusion you seem to be laboring under, being as that neither I nor anybody (of which I am aware, with you as the sole vociferous exception) was aware that there existed a point to be confused upon respective to whose opinion naiasonod.9265 was representing.

Do let me know if your confusion persists, won’t you? I care very deeply for your opinion and should be utterly beside myself with worry if I weren’t able to know that this bizarre affliction was dealt with.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

(edited by naiasonod.9265)

PistolWhip.2697

I would normally say Yes to this as I think a gladiatorial stadium would be cool. I have been in games where warnings come up when are close to a location like this, letting you know that you are in danger of stepping into an unsafe area.

Let’s face it, the location can be designed so that you actually have to want to be going to that location before anything happens. It can be built so that you can’t see anyone walking nearby or whatever the worry was previously posted. If you are there, you are there to either fight or spectate and if you are there for the latter you risk being a participant.

All of that doesn’t really matter though. There are locations already in place for this kind of thing. Our guild has their own PVP arena where we go to play and practice and duel. If left open to the public, then others can walk in and play as well.

I agree on most points, except the last. My earlier posts depict in detail why Spvp and WvW aren’t enough and can’t fulfill a lot of peoples dueling desires.

And yet, it still isn’t PistolWhipSoft either. Irrespective of how vocal they’ve been about wanting this to be a competitive game, they seem to have made it quite cooperative. As much as they’re aspiring to make it an E-sport, that has no real relevance to whether or not naiasonod.9265 thinks open world pvp in any form is a good idea, wants it or has any use for it.

You make a mistake here, as I am not advocating the addition of something due to personal want, but more so due to the foreseeable benefits of the community as a whole ingame, upon which I have openly asked and been searching for a mechanical nonbiased reason as to why such an arena should not be included. So far every reply comes to “I don’t want it” or “Isn’t whats already in, enough?”

So where you bring personal opinion and pretend its okay to stifle what is a good chance would benefit the whole community and help PvP become far more accessible for those too intimidated, I bring facts and mechanical discussions on the possible pro’s and cons.

I hope this clarifies the inexplicable confusion you seem to be labouring under, that your personal opinion based arguments and my objectively measured ones are even near the same spectrum.

I wish you the best with your sensitivity to other’s perceived afflictions. o/

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I think some people, myself included, just miss that freedom to have a quick duel with someone where ever you happen to be. It felt kind of natural, in a friendly contest of skill between heroes kind of way. I understand there are people who want nothing to do with PvP and that PvP should stay in its own area. And to a large degree I agree with you, but I do miss that freedom of concentual dueling in the open world. If was fun to take part in and often fun to watch.

By separating it off into its own dedicated area, you kind of miss those impromptu moments where you chance upon a player you fancy trying your chances with, or when you stumble across a fight going on and want to watch it unfold. They are often little moments of fun that many miss when PvP and PvE are completely separate.

I can understand the reasons for keeping them separate, but I do miss those little moments of fun.

Rin, I’m just going to say that I truly do envy you, and those that have good experiences and enjoy PvP. PvP and Dueling, in my opinion, should feel like ‘a friendly contest of skill between heroes kind of way’.
Two heroes grin, shake hands, tussle a bit, and then the one that comes out on top helps the other guy up, they shake hands and say ‘Good fight, man.’ and be on their way.
But I have so rarely got that over the past decade+ of serious gaming, that the only conclusion I can come to is that such ‘friendly contests’ are the rare exception, not the rule.
No, much more often it was some over-leveled and over-geared kid with an ego problem picking fights with people that are vastly under their level and have no realistic way of fighting back. Instead of ‘Good fight, man.’ it’s ‘@#$! YOU @#$!ing @#$%! SUCK MY @#$! AND DIE! @#$!ing NUB!!’ and other toxic garbage.
And I’m tired of it. I don’t want to deal with it. Keep it and the ego-stroking trash that seems to inevitably, and unfortunately come with it in the Mists…

Is that really what it’s like? Am I just the exception here and have just been exceedingly unlucky? I dunno… but if you are like me, and have run into seemingly endless oceans of angry, rage-fueled little kids with only the rare, occational island of decent players… Well, perhaps you can see how my opinion of PvP has ended up the way it is…

Okay… I get that.

Convenience?

Lack of PvP modes?

It can be in the Mists. As I said earlier, it doesn’t matter where it is, but the limits on buffs, food, gear and stats make some builds unviable for dueling or FFA in Spvp, and WvW is a not only a mess but impossible to fight those on the same server.

Reason for why people are asking for it to be on a specific pve map? I’d think it was due to scenery, and atmosphere. I don’t think its mandatory for it to take place in a pve map but it wouldn’t hurt in a small section. (I.e. The bottom left corner of one of the maps has an arena.)

Then like I said… Propose an option where the limits on buffs, food, gear and stats are removed in custom sPvP arenas. I’d be much more willing to support that, and I am betting a lot of others would be too.

As for scenery and atmosphere? While I could see that (and even agree to a certain extent) I don’t see how much of that you would really get if you are limited to an arena area anyway.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

naiasonod.9265

So here we are again without a concrete reason. All the reasons given are anecdotal, can be mimicked by any community and are very self-centered. Is there an actual mechanical reason a PRIVATE section of a pve map shouldnt include pvp to allow those who can’t duel or FFA with friends in that specific way?

Anyone?

It isn’t here and it would cost developmental time and resources to create a demonstrably divisive system that would be very unlikely to be of significant benefit to an identifiable majority of players.

The burden of ‘proving’ why it ’shouldn’t be here’ when it isn’t here isn’t really a challenge you can legitimately issue to anyone that’s intellectually capable of outwitting a revolving door. Not, at least, if you wish to be taken seriously.

No amount of you thinking you’re winning some sort of logical argument against other forum posters is going to alter the fact that there is no dueling or open world pvp in Guild Wars 2.

Should there come to be, it won’t have been because you said or did anything at all.

So now, your turn: Provide concrete evidence for why it should exist. You’re the one campaigning for them to devote time and money to developing something that does not currently exist – come up with a pitch, boyo. Sell them the idea.

I don’t think you can.

PistolWhip.2697

Then like I said… Propose an option where the limits on buffs, food, gear and stats are removed in custom sPvP arenas. I’d be much more willing to support that, and I am betting a lot of others would be too.

As for scenery and atmosphere? While I could see that (and even agree to a certain extent) I don’t see how much of that you would really get if you are limited to an arena area anyway.

I am not the one who is doing the proposing, but that would be an excellent option for custom arenas. I am sure it would in fact be enough for a lot of those who are unhappy with the current state of affairs.

Fair point. You wouldn’t see much of the map in a private area, but perhaps the atmosphere of spectators in a Colosseum style area would suffice. Either way, this particular area of the argument seems to be down to flavour. One side thinks it would be cool to see this in PvE and explore PvP there. The other one disagrees for various reasons (some of which are just as unreasonable and silly as the ones pushing for drastic measures like, a full pvp pve map where ganking is allowed.). Extremes aside, if the custom arena option is introduced, this will be a flavour and atmosphere debate, hinged on preference.

Anyone?

It isn’t here and it would cost developmental time and resources to create a demonstrably divisive system that would be very unlikely to be of significant benefit to an identifiable majority of players.

The burden of ‘proving’ why it ’shouldn’t be here’ when it isn’t here isn’t really a challenge you can legitimately issue to anyone that’s intellectually capable of outwitting a revolving door. Not, at least, if you wish to be taken seriously.

No amount of you thinking you’re winning some sort of logical argument against other forum posters is going to alter the fact that there is no dueling or open world pvp in Guild Wars 2.

Should there come to be, it won’t have been because you said or did anything at all.

So now, your turn: Provide concrete evidence for why it should exist. You’re the one campaigning for them to devote time and money to developing something that does not currently exist – come up with a pitch, boyo. Sell them the idea.

I don’t think you can.

I already have. Spvp doesn’t provide the freedom in food buffs, gearing and stat combinations to the degree some want. WvW doesn’t allow friends of the same server or servers outside each other’s brackets to duel.

There, objective mechanical reasons why a different form of this is needed.

As for development time, refer to my previous post:

“But Ps Whippz, wut about development time and resource?”

Fair. It would require both, but I don’t believe they should stop adding dungeon paths (Like Aether), PvE only mechanics or Gemstore plushies+minipets just because I think they are a complete waste of time and resource. Fair’s fair.

It doesn’t matter why it’s introduced, you seem to believe this is all about me just because your argument is all about you. I wouldn’t even use this feature, as I enjoy Spvp right now, and honestly wouldn’t be bothered to go to a PvE map for it. It still deserves a place in the game for a multitude of reasons (Stated many times by me and others before.)

Don’t call me ‘boyo’, boyo.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

No, much more often it was some over-leveled and over-geared kid with an ego problem picking fights with people that are vastly under their level and have no realistic way of fighting back. Instead of ‘Good fight, man.’ it’s ‘@#$! YOU @#$!ing @#$%! SUCK MY @#$! AND DIE! @#$!ing NUB!!’ and other toxic garbage.
And I’m tired of it. I don’t want to deal with it. Keep it and the ego-stroking trash that seems to inevitably, and unfortunately come with it in the Mists…

Is that really what it’s like? Am I just the exception here and have just been exceedingly unlucky? I dunno… but if you are like me, and have run into seemingly endless oceans of angry, rage-fueled little kids with only the rare, occational island of decent players… Well, perhaps you can see how my opinion of PvP has ended up the way it is…

You arent alone, many of us who are against Dueling in PVE zones have had these kind of experiences, repeatedly and dont want to deal with them in this game for any reason period.

Many of us against dueling would also support arenas scattered around the open world, The bane for example, the arena in plains of ashford(Used to be part of a heart, but they took that portion of the heart away), that fighting pit out in the krytan zones are just a few examples. As a happy middle ground for both people, they get some kind of dueling, and we can avoid it!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Rin.1046

Rin, I’m just going to say that I truly do envy you, and those that have good experiences and enjoy PvP. PvP and Dueling, in my opinion, should feel like ‘a friendly contest of skill between heroes kind of way’.
Two heroes grin, shake hands, tussle a bit, and then the one that comes out on top helps the other guy up, they shake hands and say ‘Good fight, man.’ and be on their way.
But I have so rarely got that over the past decade+ of serious gaming, that the only conclusion I can come to is that such ‘friendly contests’ are the rare exception, not the rule.

Maybe I have been lucky, though I have also come across those kinds of idiots too. But then I have always just ignored them and got on with my day and never really let them get to me.

But I do take your point though and those mouthy bum hats do have a habit of spoiling it for the rest of us. Not just in terms of offending those who do not wish to fight, but giving the decent ‘gentlemen duelers’ a bad rep.

I do see your point and I can understand the reason for the way games have gone lately. But a part of me always feels it is such a shame, as it kind of feels like giving in to those tango whiskey alpha tangos, and punishing everyone because they cannot behave. But then that is the way of a lot of societies these days, punish the just as a result of punishing the unjust. For once I would like to see those in authority find a way to punish those who deserve it without it taking the fun things away from those who don’t.

Anyway, I digress and am going way off topic here.

Simplicity is complex.

PistolWhip.2697

Maybe I have been lucky, though I have also come across those kinds of idiots too. But then I have always just ignored them and got on with my day and never really let them get to me.

But I do take your point though and those mouthy bum hats do have a habit of spoiling it for the rest of us. Not just in terms of offending those who do not wish to fight, but giving the decent ‘gentlemen duelers’ a bad rep.

I do see your point and I can understand the reason for the way games have gone lately. But a part of me always feels it is such a shame, as it kind of feels like giving in to those tango whiskey alpha tangos, and punishing everyone because they cannot behave. But then that is the way of a lot of societies these days, punish the just as a result of punishing the unjust. For once I would like to see those in authority find a way to punish those who deserve it without it taking the fun things away from those who don’t.

Anyway, I digress and am going way off topic here.

I wholeheartedly agree. Put it into words perfectly. At the end of the day Anet will try to do whats best for the game, as they hold the most objective stance and power. I am sure if PvP is ever implemented into the PvE world, it will be in a way that enforces positive feelings of enjoyment, learning and inclusion. That is Anet’s doctrine for this game after all.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Here is your answer:

Nope.

ding ding
We have a winner.
takes a drink

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Keep your PvP out of my PvE.

naiasonod.9265

I already have. Spvp doesn’t provide the freedom in food buffs, gearing and stat combinations to the degree some want. WvW doesn’t allow friends of the same server or servers outside each other’s brackets to duel.

That which does not exist is not capable of being an active problem to any of the players. You say ‘to the degree that some want’ – it must not be that many, as they still haven’t been implemented by Anet.

There, objective mechanical reasons why a different form of this is needed

There’s nothing objective about any of this. Its opinions versus opinions, and yours aren’t more valuable than mine or anyone else’s.

As for development time, refer to my previous post:

“But Ps Whippz, wut about development time and resource?”

Fair. It would require both, but I don’t believe they should stop adding dungeon paths (Like Aether), PvE only mechanics or Gemstore plushies+minipets just because I think they are a complete waste of time and resource. Fair’s fair.

Dungeons are existing systems that have been neglected. The gemstore is their chief means of generating profit off their game. Obviously, they too must think continued support for dungeons must not be worth much time or effort, as they’ve clearly applied next to none since launch. The gemstore is not at all a waste of their time or effort, as that’s the vector by which they make most of the shekels that keep the servers on and other trivialities you seem to either have not factored for or been, somehow, unaware were relevant.

Dueling does not exist. Open world pvp does not exist. That is a rather important difference between what you’re campaigning for and everything else you’re referencing. It is not the same, at all.

It doesn’t matter why it’s introduced, you seem to believe this is all about me just because your argument is all about you. I wouldn’t even use this feature, as I enjoy Spvp right now, and honestly wouldn’t be bothered to go to a PvE map for it. It still deserves a place in the game for a multitude of reasons (Stated many times by me and others before.)

The only person I’m qualified to speak for here in any certain terms is myself. The same is, in fact, true for you as well. You think it deserves a place in the game for your various and assorted reasons, and I think it does not for equally varied and assorted other reasons.

Neither of us can possibly be correct in any objective fashion. Yes, I included myself there, and am absolutely connoting that exactly none of us can be correct in any objective fashion on a subject like this.

Hashing out our differences of opinion is the best we can hope to accomplish, though neither you nor I will ever somehow ‘prove ourselves correct’ in this pit of opinion – there is no ‘correct’ to be proven. There is, however, That Which Is and That Which Is Not.

Anet’s included nothing of the sort, and for reasons I significantly doubt motivate Anet at all, I am pleased with that outcome.

I feel open world pvp, even in a controlled environment, wouldn’t add anything significant that would benefit even a mentionable minority let alone a substantial majority, and there are so many other things I’d rather see them do or fix that there is no possible way I could agree that this particular topic is even important in the long run, let alone in any imminent fashion.

I support my premise by observing that neither dueling nor open world pvp have been existing things here, and their absence hasn’t seemed to be a particularly decried thing by any identifiable majority, or even a particularly identifiable vocal minority beyond this forum (of which I’m even remotely aware).

I don’t think there’s all that much demand for it here. I don’t think that many came here for the open world pvp and the dueling, just like I’m pretty sure that not that many customers will go to a Wal-Mart and take umbrage to the fact that there aren’t any automobiles and boats for sale.

I don’t think many came here or have stayed here for systems that do not exist, is my point. I think most people that that are genuinely eager for such things are probably enjoying those things in games that feature them. Hence, I do not feel like some sort of babbling idiot when I speculatively suggest that I might not be alone in being at least reasonably content with those things continuing to not be here.

I don’t suspect I’m a statistical outlier or any sort of odd exception. I might, for once, be a member of an identifiable majority on this one, odd as I always find that to be.

Don’t call me ‘boyo’, boyo.

No problem. It was unnecessarily contentious of me to do so and for that, I apologize.