your guess on gw2 population

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pdemo.8312

pdemo.8312

Ok so what are your guesses on gw2 population. This means how many people do u thing are online at prime hours. I don’t need to hear anet is the only ones that knows that. I know anet is the only people who know exactly but what are your guesses.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Ok so what are your guesses on gw2 population. This means how many people do u thing are online at prime hours. I don’t need to hear anet is the only ones that knows that. I know anet is the only people who know exactly but what are your guesses.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

GW2 = the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Less than 7 billion, more than 1.

Pointless thread that would likely dovetail into a rant about how everyone is leaving and how all the maps or servers are empty and how ANet could turn it around over if they added …

Don’t fall for it.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I’m sorry but could you explain your goal in getting these figures because, at first glance, this exercise appears pointless. Anet has said they hit the 3 million copies sold at some point in the past but as far as I know the only concurrent user figure they offered at any point was 460k users. Even then, they were pretty vague about when that number was hit. It was, however, sometime on or before August of 2013. But really, how do you expect someone running with a zerg in WVW going to know how many people are in each zone of every server, both NA and EU? Any figures you get are going to be anywhere between pretty darn rough to largely inaccurate for the very reason you don’t want to hear again. What’s in it for you? For everyone else who cares to take a shot, feel free to explain how you arrived at your figure.

My guess: Eleventy
Found this number scrawled on Scarlet’s walls.

Edit: Dangit. I activated his trap card!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Basing it on prime time is meaningless. Because there are players all over the world, prime time is continuous throughout the day. My prime time is many others people’s work time or sleep time and vice versa.

Maybe you are talking about your own personal prime time? In that case you need to tell us what it is and which time zone.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m in Australia, I’m not often on prime time but I play every day.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

so lets guess:
460k the highest
a good 30% left and a 10% came back
most of them dont have many things to do any more so they dont play to often
many others will leave for the new MMOs

so on average i believe max 150-200k on LS/LW patch days and this is probably the number of active players the last 2-3 months as well. i really believe the pop is low

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’d say around 130,000 concurrent users at prime time.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

That number sounds good to me.

And even though the game did sell 3 million copies, its kind of hard for many people to care about coming back to play the game when they aren’t bound by a subscription fee (this is a good thing), but, its also kind of hard for many people to care about coming back to play the game when 90% of the new content released after launch doesn’t even exist in the game anymore.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I think it’s “healthy” and that’s all that matters. Apart from that who are we to NEED to know or even worry about the exact numbers? This game is far, far, far from dead and anyone who says otherwise is only fooling themselves out of fantasy for whatever reasons they don’t like the game. I don’t see why these people just don’t simply move on already….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Paffus Piffus.9430

Paffus Piffus.9430

From my limited experience as a new player, not many. Almost everywhere I go is empty. There are more npc’s in the two cities I visited than there were players. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying the game and glad I bought it, but this is the quietest MMO I’ve ever played. The Secret World has been out around the same length of time and has a lot higher population at all times.

Vayne.8563

From my limited experience as a new player, not many. Almost everywhere I go is empty. There are more npc’s in the two cities I visited than there were players. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying the game and glad I bought it, but this is the quietest MMO I’ve ever played. The Secret World has been out around the same length of time and has a lot higher population at all times.

You clearly haven’t tried the busier servers and that’s the problem with trying to judge the population.

People in this game can guest, for free, to other servers. So if you say guested to Tarnished Coast (assuming you’re on a US server, you’d see a lot more people around).

What’s the impetus to stay on a server with less people when you can play for free on a server with more people?

Posted by: Paffus Piffus.9430

Paffus Piffus.9430

There is none, and I’m disappointed I joined a practically dead server, I looked into changing servers but there was a charge associated with that so I didn’t go into it any further. What is this guesting you mentioned and how do I do it?

Vayne.8563

There is none, and I’m disappointed I joined a practically dead server, I looked into changing servers but there was a charge associated with that so I didn’t go into it any further. What is this guesting you mentioned and how do I do it?

On your start up screen, choose world select. You can pick 2 servers a day to guest to and guest to those two servers as many times as you want.

Try Tarnished Coast for starters. Then click on guest, guest again and then play at the bottom. You’ll be on that server until you log out again.

Edit: If you delete all characters, you can transfer for free…which if you’re new might be the move. Just make sure to put all your stuff that’s not soul bound in your bank first and salvage the soul bound stuff and put that in your bank.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

And Anet have sold 3.5mill+ copies worldwide. That’s ~3.7% of the total sales that actually play? Someone please tell me I have my figures wrong.

Well played Anet.

/rollinginit

edit: I read ‘concurrent users’, which means not everyone that plays. Allow for maybe 10% of the total population that bought a copy. Still…

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

(edited by Valandil Dragonhart.2371)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

And Anet have sold 3.5mill+ copies worldwide. That’s ~3.7% of the total sales that actually play? Someone please tell me I have my figures wrong.

Well played Anet.

/rollinginit

edit: I read ‘concurrent users’, which means not everyone that plays. Allow for maybe 10% of the total population that bought a copy. Still…

Usually for mmorpg with subscription, only around 10% of the people logs on at the same time. For example 500,000 subscriber usually means 50,000 concurrent user.

No body plays 24 hours right?

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

You are kidding right?

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

About 50% of total accounts have less than 1,000 achievement points.

And 90% of total accounts have less than 3,000 achievement points.

take that for what you will.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

laokoko.7403

You are kidding right?

I’m serious. Take Eve for example, there are 500k subscriber who plays monthly. But they only have 50k people on concurrently.

So 50k concurrent players don’t mean there are 50k people playing Eve every month.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Well some people buy the game and quit early in the month if something turns them off

Like, I’ve been playing WoW for 5 years, then I played swotr and bought a 90 day sub, how long did I play that for? maybe a month, then I left, the map/questing was obnoxius and took to long, like 20mins+ because the map was just to big, and my story missions greyed out and everything just felt like a waste of time.

Just because 3mil copies were sold, doesnt mean there are 3mil people playing. I can see 450k people logging in over a 24hr period, but I dont see it being very high either, the game isn’t as fleshed out because of this LS so there isn’t much to do. The new eotm map brings back the bad memory of swtor, its to big, so its just boring.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Well played Anet.

/rollinginit

Concurrent implies at the same time. If 10% of your clients are concurrently only it means they play, on average, 2.4 hours per day. Which is a lot. At 3% they’d be playing, on average, 43 minutes per day. Seems pretty decent.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I have a follow up question to add to this: How many grains of sand are on the average beach on a moderately warm day with 9 mph winds?
/facepalm

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I have a follow up question to add to this: How many grains of sand are on the average beach on a moderately warm day with 9 mph winds?
/facepalm

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Concurrent is logged in at the same moment. For instance, when WoW launched their last expac they had a 10 mil subscriber base with a peak concurrency of 1 million.

GW2 has peak concurrency of 460k. Not too shabby considering they haven’t launched in China yet

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I’ve been playing for 4+ months now and I’m not even at my 2500 mark. Believe it or not, when you don’t try and get achievement points all the time they don’t come that fast. The games only been out for a little bit over a year. And I’m addicted to this game, I play 4-6 hours a day.

laokoko.7403

I’ve been playing for 4+ months now and I’m not even at my 2500 mark. Believe it or not, when you don’t try and get achievement points all the time they don’t come that fast. The games only been out for a little bit over a year. And I’m addicted to this game, I play 4-6 hours a day.

ya I do dungeon daily. It’s quite common seeing people with less than 3000 AP.

Those are your casual players.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I can take a good stab at guessing based on map capacity (ques), some player behavior and whatnot.

For the sake of this I will define “prime time” as 4 pm to 7 pm Pacific Time (or server time since they are both the same) and only applicable to North Americas, not Euro servers.

Observations:

Most days between daily resets (4pm server) and 7pm server, there are champ / event / temple trains running on the top 6 servers. They often get qued and you can get stuck in the overflow, but not by much. Usually its around 20 people or less.

Based on recent events such as Marionette, Wurm, and further down Teq, we know that PvE maps become full around 150 ish players. Actually, 120 ish, but then people still can join via joining into parties to hit what is commonly referred to as a “hard cap”.

During these event trains, the LFG system takes a significant dip. So much so that often (like today) you could scroll through it at prime time at multiple intervals and not see many groups forming. I would say about 75% of the players that normally run dungeons, are on these event trains, possibly higher as it is plainly observed over time in the LFG.

You can then add WvW maps, especially on high tier servers where 90 to 100% of servers WvW players are on server voice comm, this can not be done on lower tiers due to their disorganisation and players refusal to participate.

In addition, if there is a large guild event, such as guild missions, or a large community (server) event going on, it is usually also held on the server’s voice comm system, thus making it again, relatively safe to give estimates.

So lets see, for my server it would be:

PvE champ train + overflow: 170 ish ?
Dungeons + Fractals: maybe 10 groups: 50 ish
WvW Borderlands: Reset Night 180 ish, all 3 BLs filled or close to
WvW Borderlands pass reset: 100 ish at prime time, varies
EB: reset night: 60 (qued map), pass reset, between 20-50
Misc Vagabonding, gathering, map completion, events, hearts, etc: weekends 40 ish, weekdays 20 ish
Lions Arch: Weekends 50 ish, weekdays 30-40 ish.

Based on that, my prime time server total active players for my tier 2 server is around 550 on Friday and weekend prime time. This significantly drops off on weekdays. Very significantly, and it is difficult to measure as weekday weeks are inconsistant for various reasons from week to week.

I believe you can pretty much multiply this x6 for the top 6 servers, except Blackgate which is somewhat higher. Then use it to scale down as you go down in tiers and that should give you a good idea for games population. But it is not possible because there are servers which feel rigth down empty and desolate when you guest to them and go to the popular locations, which is really sad.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

Posted by: tonadius.7013

tonadius.7013

so, this mean in this guild wars 2 its have around 450k people in there? idk about what happen in this guild wars 2,but many people talking about this game is bad?? or the character its ugly??

well, im kinda old player here, one week after guild wars 2 launch i already played but i just playing around 1 month and i didnt played after this long time i decide to play it again. so whats really happen in this guild wars 2? im sorry i just need to know it is wroth to play it again? i just got scare when i log in and many people talking about bad word about this game cause i just waste my time to download it again

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Dont vary people,Chinese are coming and they will triple the population of Tyria

saalle.4623

so, this mean in this guild wars 2 its have around 450k people in there? idk about what happen in this guild wars 2,but many people talking about this game is bad?? or the character its ugly??

well, im kinda old player here, one week after guild wars 2 launch i already played but i just playing around 1 month and i didnt played after this long time i decide to play it again. so whats really happen in this guild wars 2? im sorry i just need to know it is wroth to play it again? i just got scare when i log in and many people talking about bad word about this game cause i just waste my time to download it again

Trust me,people overreacting and whine on forums too much.This game is worth of playing and has lots of people.Just dont listen to forums cause people here whine about everything.Real players are in game and they play it,rest of them are on forums and whine about something.Just take it from the simple facts,how many people are in this game and how many people says bad things about GW2?Not even 2% of those people,so dont trust minority and try yourself =).And for those people in game if Gw2 is really bad why they then play it?With so many games on the market why they still play it

tonadius.7013

Trust me,people overreacting and whine on forums too much.This game is worth of playing and has lots of people.Just dont listen to forums cause people here whine about everything.Real players are in game and they play it,rest of them are on forums and whine about something.Just take it from the simple facts,how many people are in this game and how many people says bad things about GW2?Not even 2% of those people,so dont trust minority and try yourself =).And for those people in game if Gw2 is really bad why they then play it?With so many games on the market why they still play it

oh thanks my friend u really help me out from this confused and kitten up situation,well actually i like this game too cause this game has more mature i mean you know like some game that the girl have over big boobs( i know its nature, but you know sometime you need to refresh ur mind too right?? i mean just focus on gameplay or about the graphic of the game or whatever) well maybe its just me or idk there many different people right?? so no offense

Posted by: lazarus.1639

lazarus.1639

I was going to say that it would be nice to include some kind of % with the achievements to show what % of players completed them (just like games on Steam), it might help to show how many left after just a couple of hours of gameplay.
However that info looks just as helpful. Where did you get it?

Tongku.5326

Nope. If your reply was directed at me, it is ceirtainly not 450k active players.

My guestimated best case scenario would be 550 people x 24 servers. That comes out to 13200, however, as stated it is impossible to calculate because this applies only to the top 6. Then it drops off, and does so very unevenly. There are some bottom servers which are utterly almost empty, and some which do well at least during prime time, but remain on bottom due to coverage, not population gap.

To obtain a good guess you would have to transfer from server to server and play for a month or 2 before you see the particular servers player population.

All in all, I would say there are around 10k to 12k people logging in consistantly for weekend and new content prime time, and around 6k to 8k on weekdays once new events are completed on the NA servers. And as I said, I have no clue about the EU. I do not know for example if its those guys habit to run champ trains consistantly at consisent times map que capacity as we do, etc., thus can not measure.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

Nope. If your reply was directed at me, it is ceirtainly not 450k active players.

My guestimated best case scenario would be 550 people x 24 servers. That comes out to 13200, however, as stated it is impossible to calculate because this applies only to the top 6. Then it drops off, and does so very unevenly. There are some bottom servers which are utterly almost empty, and some which do well at least during prime time, but remain on bottom due to coverage, not population gap.

To obtain a good guess you would have to transfer from server to server and play for a month or 2 before you see the particular servers player population.

All in all, I would say there are around 10k to 12k people logging in consistantly for weekend and new content prime time, and around 6k to 8k on weekdays once new events are completed on the NA servers. And as I said, I have no clue about the EU. I do not know for example if its those guys habit to run champ trains consistantly at consisent times map que capacity as we do, etc., thus can not measure.

You’re joking, right?

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Looking at my server, guessing mine is pretty average, I come on a total off 100k people online at primetime.

AP’s are bad indicator. I know a lot of casual players who don’t care bout them and have less then3k but still login on a regular base.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Tongku.5326

You’re joking, right?

Nope. Why would I be joking ? While it is only an educated guess, please see my other post above as to how/why I arrived at these guessed numbers (especially the 550 / server). And when you do, even that is vague as I would hit the post length limit and have to go into detailed explanations. Also, I am sure there is a lot I missed both into the increasing as well as decreasing the numbers, but again, too much details for such a tiny post with 5k character limit and my limited time to type it all in.

Incidentally, what is your guess and what facts and long term patterns / population observations are you basing it on ?

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

You’re joking, right?

Nope. Why would I be joking ? While it is only an educated guess, please see my other post above as to how/why I arrived at these guessed numbers (especially the 550 / server). And when you do, even that is vague as I would hit the post length limit and have to go into detailed explanations. Also, I am sure there is a lot I missed both into the increasing as well as decreasing the numbers, but again, too much details for such a tiny post with 5k character limit and my limited time to type it all in.

Incidentally, what is your guess and what facts and long term patterns / population observations are you basing it on ?

550 people is way too low. Taking just WvW, those maps hold 500 players each and there are times when you have to queue and considering they did the edge of the mist map to fix that i am sure thats not an issue on 1 or 2 servers. Thats 2000 players right there.

Then you have champion trains that all in all i would be sure they add up to 50-100 players on most servers

you got mini games, dont know how it is on all server but every time I felt like playing one there were always people there thats another 20 or so people at least there.

Then you have LS events that always go into 1 or 2 overflows. dont know if open world maps have the same WvW player capacity but if they do thats another 1000 at least.

Then you got dungeons and fractals, there quite a number of people who just play WvW and fractals!

You got players exploring and doing Dynamic events, players doing Jumping puzzles, guild missions, etc..

Running around in a mid level map still has you meet 2 – 5 people easily and considering you cannot be everywhere at once I think its safe to assume there is generally at least 3x as many people in such maps which means if 15 are the maps people generally consider empty you still have at least 100 – 200 players there, at least on my server thats probably true.

again I have no clue how many people are online at the same time ankitten ot pretending to know but 550 sounds a bit low to me, probably its at the very least 2000-3000 per server.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

My guess overall EU/NA = 300,000 to 400,000 regular players (that log in and play at least once a month).

With the exception of WoW that’s what the population of all successful MMO’s seems to end up around.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Enough to put me into overflow every time I come back to LA and sometimes even when going to kill some old world bosses.

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Dont vary people,Chinese are coming and they will triple the population of Tyria

For all of maybe 2 months.

Before they find out for themselves that there’s STILL no real end-game, the personal story could have ended MUCH better, and the LS still goes in 2-weekly increments. Once they digest all this then I think they’ll be looking for better MMO’s on the market as well because they’ll have a lot less patience with ANet than we currently do. Eastern culture isn’t quite as patient as westerners.

The stalwarts and die-hards will stick around, and they’ll make up your extra 10% to the figure of concurrent users daily. Just saying… I can see it coming if ANet doesn’t do something major fairly soon.

saalle.4623

oh thanks my friend u really help me out from this confused and kitten up situation,well actually i like this game too cause this game has more mature i mean you know like some game that the girl have over big boobs( i know its nature, but you know sometime you need to refresh ur mind too right?? i mean just focus on gameplay or about the graphic of the game or whatever) well maybe its just me or idk there many different people right?? so no offense
[/quote]

No i agree with you.I dont like games where 95% characters are female cause perverts like to play characters they have big boobs.If i like that i whould play Scarlet Blade or some kitten like that now.I dont like MMO games where gameplay is focused at nudity and where MMORPG stands for ManyManOnlineRolePlayingGrils.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

550 people is way too low. Taking just WvW, those maps hold 500 players each and there are times when you have to queue and considering they did the edge of the mist map to fix that i am sure thats not an issue on 1 or 2 servers. Thats 2000 players right there.

Then you have champion trains that all in all i would be sure they add up to 50-100 players on most servers

you got mini games, dont know how it is on all server but every time I felt like playing one there were always people there thats another 20 or so people at least there.

Then you have LS events that always go into 1 or 2 overflows. dont know if open world maps have the same WvW player capacity but if they do thats another 1000 at least.

Then you got dungeons and fractals, there quite a number of people who just play WvW and fractals!

You got players exploring and doing Dynamic events, players doing Jumping puzzles, guild missions, etc..

Running around in a mid level map still has you meet 2 – 5 people easily and considering you cannot be everywhere at once I think its safe to assume there is generally at least 3x as many people in such maps which means if 15 are the maps people generally consider empty you still have at least 100 – 200 players there, at least on my server thats probably true.

again I have no clue how many people are online at the same time ankitten ot pretending to know but 550 sounds a bit low to me, probably its at the very least 2000-3000 per server.

Regarding 500 players per wvw map, that is incorrect, as I point out in a older thread.

WvW pop cap is about ~100 or at most 120 per map(Per server, So 300-360 per map total)

This is most likely the correct answer.

WvW does not support 500 per map as per this interview translation:

I mentioned the number 500 as a possible population limit when we first started revealing WvW and honestly have regretted that ever since. I really shouldn’t have mentioned any numbers at all, because I only had some early tests to base that figure on. Soon after, we started full scale testing and it rapidly became clear that just because we could put that many people onto a map didn’t mean we should do it.

PvE maps are most likely 100 soft capped and 120-150 hard capped (hard to guess the hard cap). This became somewhat evident during a teamspeak organized Tequatl event (with 100 players on TS), taxiing players off onto an empty overflow.

Also, you will be quite surprised how little players are required to make a map look deceptively more players than there really are. Even with just 40 players on your screen in LA can make a place look “really full”.

Take a guess at how many players there were in the Crown Pavilion map at full capacity. 150? 200? Nope.

And the map capacity of Crown Pavilion is limited to 75 before it starts to create overflows.

Vayne.8563

No one knows. No one can know. Estimates in the absence of knowledge are bullkitten. There’s no reason at all to believe anyone has a clue, even if they think they’re reasonably right.

I’m not sure what the purpose of this thread is, but I don’t see how any good can possibly come of it.

BlueZone.4236

Absence of knowledge? Knowing the map technical limitations, the upper limit of concurrent players, the ascended gear grind panic, dead maps on many servers (I didn’t say all) aren’t knowledge? Astute people can apply sensibility to said knowledge and put pieces together themselves.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I’d say the population in GW2 is about 250 000-350 000.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

1,842,356 active with another 28.4% semi-active.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Vayne.8563

Absence of knowledge? Knowing the map technical limitations, the upper limit of concurrent players, the ascended gear grind panic, dead maps on many servers (I didn’t say all) aren’t knowledge? Astute people can apply sensibility to said knowledge and put pieces together themselves.

Except people can’t know how many people are in dungeons. They can’t know how many people are scattered around the world even.

The fact that people can server hop changes everything. I can be on three different servers in the same night.

It’s ALL just guesswork.

BlueZone.4236

Except people can’t know how many people are in dungeons. They can’t know how many people are scattered around the world even.

The fact that people can server hop changes everything. I can be on three different servers in the same night.

It’s ALL just guesswork.

Guesswork with applied sensibility and knowledge of game’s limitation.
Sensibility such as:
Map cap.
PvP population is much smaller compared to PvE population.
Easymode casual player population is larger than “real gamers”.
Many players are ignorant of lfg tool AND guesting.

Like I said, you can still apply some common sense to get a reasonable “guesstimate” on the upper cap on the population and go from there. No need to think this is some impossible thing to guess.

tonadius.7013

can u guys tell me that what server that have many population in it?
between this server
( jade of quary, sanctum of rails, blackgate, Tarnished coast)